PDA

View Full Version : Toyfair rumours

pegger
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
OK - over on anotheR Site, there is a link to Y anOther DArned site...that has some leaked information on the winner of the toy fair poll - and they are saying that it's not a minor character from the movies, but rather an EU character.

You can color me stupified....

Rogue II
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I saw that too. Can't say I'm really happy about it, either. My hopes were up because RS's exit poll had Yarna in the lead. But, I shouldn't be suprised. If you take this leaked info, the Q&A answers, and that Red Guard exclusive, Hasbro must have realized there is a market for EU.

Jargo
07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
If that's true it sucks. It's like licensing hasbro to Batmanise the star wars line. which they're already doing with stoopid clowntrooper releases. It's strange how the finalists appear to be all EU when there's reports of a few EU figures out next year.

Still as long as they don't form part of the regular line I don't care. I just won't buy them. I don't even know who most of those characters are. nor do I care. If it aint in the movies then forget it.

figrin bran
07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
as many of us have felt all along, the fan's poll is rigged and hasbro knew all along who they wanted to make ;)

which might work out for the best as the character i voted for might get made

Banthaholic
07-07-2006, 11:52 AM
The question being are the people that voted actually going to buy what they voted for. It's real nice of someone to vote 100 times for their favorite, imo they should buy the same number of figures as times they voted, only fair :)

While the KOTOR charcters do look cool, I was really hoping for some OT characters.

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I'll probably pass on any KOTOR toys, Tales of the Jedi toys, or Legacy toys. They just do not interest me very much.

Droid
07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
They could make every EU figure on the list and I wouldn't buy one of them!

If after this poll Hasbro still refuses to make Yarna, after they see she is one of the most wanted characters in the FILMS, when they could just stick here in a multipack or something...

Man oh man oh man.

dindae
07-07-2006, 01:41 PM
The fact that they are doing #1 and #2 is interesting. That leads me to believe they are doing Jacen and Jaina although it is surprising to me that they would be #1 and #2.

Slicker
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Utterly pathetic if it's true. Just goes to show that fanboys are taking over and ruining the hobby.:rolleyes:

Droid
07-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Even if the EU people argue they would rather have a main character from the EU than a minor character from the FILMS, I will never understand why they wouldn't rather have a main character from the FILMS that has never been made like Lando in Smugglers Gear, Luke from the medical frigate, or Leia from the medical frigate, than a figure based on someone's drawing of a character that wasn't in the films.

And just watch, when they make these EU figures, they'll say, "But I didn't want Anakin Solo as a child, I wanted him as an adult." "I didn't want Mara in THAT outfit!"

Ugh.

Slicker
07-07-2006, 03:00 PM
And just watch, when they make these EU figures, they'll say, "But I didn't want Anakin Solo as a child, I wanted him as an adult." "I didn't want Mara in THAT outfit!"

Ugh.Do I even need to bother posting a link to my Never Happy thread? That's exactly how it'll go down and it's really too bad.

mabudonicus
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I guess my write-in vote for 21-B got lost in cyberspace ;)
Seriously though, where's the F#ing love for the Deuce?? He F#ing BUILT Darth Vader, and he F#ing made it so Luke could fight HIS OWN FATHER, and he F#ING CARED, SIR!!!!!!

No, far better to make a figure based on some amateurs crappy line drawing- hopefully if this E/FU thing pans out we will get a cinema scene of Greedo's funeral and maybe just maybe a Manaroo fig for Dengar to co-habitate with

Tycho
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm thrilled that there might be 2 more EU figures!

That being said, if Quinlan Vos is # 1 or # 2, is Hasbro just pretending to be generous because they were already planning to make him? I'd buy 3 or 4 Quins.

The other winner I'm hoping for most is Nom Anor. The Yuuzhan Vong would kick butt. True I'd only buy 2 or 3 Nom Anors, but I'd buy an army of YV soldiers and make dioramas out of them fighting Luke & Mara.

If Jacen or Jaina won, I can see them feeling they have to do the other Jedi twin. Jacen may play a crucial role in the Betrayal series and the Legacy comic, so it also makes sense in light of that.

I hear what people are saying about complaining what outfit they come in:

Jaina certainly also wears a Rogue Squadron X-wing pilot's outfit and you can't customize her with just the head and not the breasts. :love:

But I also agree with Droid, that doing Luke or Leia or Lando from the end of ESB would have been great too - just that those figures as such were bit players in the greater scheme of ESB, and Jaina and Jacen are huge characters in the scheme of the EU, as Han gets near 60 and Luke and Leia are in their 50's now.

You know, it's funny how the EU sticks with keeping the characters similar ages to the actors that portrayed them. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher (with a good makeover) could portray Han, Luke, and Leia from the post-NJO today if Lucas wanted them to.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, they didn't outright say that the OT characters lost and the EU won, but it does seem that way. But, crap . . . what about Yarna? I was really hoping she'd win. At least they now know that she's big on many people's lists, since she at least made the top 25.

As others have said, I don't know if I'll collect much of the EU stuff. I'm not into the source material (most of the time) so there'd be no reason for me to buy the figures.

plasticfetish
07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
As someone who's not all that familiar with a lot of the EU, but realizes that there's obviously a pretty large audience for it, I think it's a smart idea for Hasbro to develop that market. Especially, since the whole line between what's EU and not EU has become so vague at this point, (films, books, games, cartoons, etc.)

I may not be into every figure that they decide to put out, but there's always a chance that if it's a cool toy, I'll take a look at the "source material" to see what it's all about. I'm not sure why those of you complaining, seem to have such a hard time understanding that with no new films to help generate interest in the Star Wars brand, Hasbro would want to start expanding their own universe a little

It doesn't mean that you've lost your chance of getting a version of Luke from every individual frame of the movie, it just means that you have to tolerate some figures being made that other people might want also.

Jargo
07-07-2006, 08:39 PM
it should definitely fall into a sub line like the clone wars stuff did. therefre not affecting the main line. so in effect it's 'extra' not 'instead of'.

and Quinlan Vos was on that list for next year in a 2-pack with Vilmarhh 'Villie' Grarhk anyway. Something seems out of kilter. If the list is anywhere near accurate why would Quinlan be on a list for next year if he's in the running for fans choice winner?

is master Vos mentioned in the movie by Obi-Wan or another jedi. Can't remember but he is the only one of that list I would consider if he's named in the movie. He does appear in the comic book adaptation too. Which is no reason for justifying him. just thinking aloud here.

Yes, for those who like this sort of thing it's exactly the sort of thing they will like. and the rest of us can go nuts about something else like why the naboo tech dude is so damn ugly and bulky.

pegger
07-07-2006, 08:46 PM
It doesn't mean that you've lost your chance of getting a version of Luke from every individual frame of the movie, it just means that you have to tolerate some figures being made that other people might want also.

Maybe not Luke - but characters like Yarna and Ice Cream Maker Guy - definately.

Again, I don't care that EU MAY have won. I don't care if they make EU figures. I recognize the demand, and agree it should be feed, in order to keep the line alive.

I DO care when EU comes at the expense of CANON characters. I would much rather have a charater that's on screen for .0001 seconds. (and I realize some what EU characters more - that is not my point. My point is one should not come at the exclusion of another)

Reefer Shark
07-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Everyone that's wanking about EU winners should really read PF's post, it makes a lot of sense.

Plus, Just because Jaina Solo (or whoever) won the poll, doesn't mean that we'll never get Ice Cream maker guy (who had so little screen time, he's practically EU himself). Or Yarna, which is desired by many collectors, but would make a lame toy IMO. They still have a chance while the line is alive, we just might not get them right away (Hasbro has released losers from polls before too).

Now I prefer movie stuff, but I'm not gonna pass up on a cool figure because it wasn't in the movies. I wonder how many of you have a McQuarrie Concept Trooper, or Republic Commando Scorch?

It's like what Slicker said about us never being happy.. that's pretty obvious in this thread. lol lol! These polls are all BS anyways, you all know that right? :yes:

Tycho
07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, DaddyPants, Quinlan Vos is the Jedi that gets credited for Obi-Wan's line in ROTS (to Anakin) "Seluca Maya has fallen and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pitty."

In the Republic comics, Quinlan (Quin) is a friend of Obi-Wan Kenobi's. They met during the Stark Hyperspace Wars when they were each around 19 and 14 years old (thereabouts) if they didn't know each other as senior Younglings in the Jedi Temple. Tholme was Quin's Jedi Master, and a friend of Qui-Gon Jinns.

During the Stark Hyperspace Wars, a red-haired pirate named Iago Stark robbed all Trade Federation shipments of Bacta. Meanwhile, the Bacta processing plants on Thyferria stockpiled a surplus, but lied about it. That drove the price of Bacta way up. Stark was lauded as a hero, because he sold what he robbed on the Outer Rim for a pitance of the price that Thyferria was asking (their price driven up even further by the Trade Federation who started demanding they be allowed to buy battledroids and droid starfighters to defend their cargo against Stark.

We'll assume that Darth Sidious and Darth Maul were maniupulating Iago Stark to scare the Trade Federation into buying a droid army.

Tholme and Quinlan were sent to Thyferria to investigate, while a Wookiee Jedi Master who's Padawan was formerly Plo Koon (who was by that time a full Jedi Master) was dispatched along with Adi Gallia to settle the conflict. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan stumbled into that who mess and helped complete the Jedi team and a young Obi-Wan and Quinlan (who eventually came back from Thyferria with Tholme) helped save the day.

The story is told in flashbacks in this comic, to Aayla Secura - who originated in the comics before she was ever in the movies - as Quinlan Vos' Padawan. She was Knighted in the Republic arc "Right of Passage." She is probably 5 years or a little more older than Anakin.

If that wasn't interesting to know, I can't tell you much about Wilrow Hood's story saving that Ice Cream Maker on Cloud City, but you can read about what I told you in the Republic Comics arc "Stark Hyperspace War."

figrin bran
07-07-2006, 10:02 PM
i think we need to remember that this is not a poll from hasbro to determine the future direction of the SW line but rather a poll to make ONE single figure. ;)

if a KOTOR figure gets made, i'll be celebrating. all by myself.

Kidhuman
07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
If its EU, it will sit on the shelf over here, I aint buying it.

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 10:42 PM
No doubt. You're lucky enough to now live in the area where the first EU wave pegwarmed for a month. Well, except for the Spacetrooper, who I only saw once.

jjreason
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Makes me wish they had done a separate poll for most desired EU characters - that way I could have ignored it completely and still gotten Yarna. :cry:

Reefer Shark
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Darktrooper pegwarmed somewhere? That's a shock! :eek: I never saw that figure (except at scalper joints for $30+). Actually, I never saw any of that wave at regular retail, now that I think about it.

Now, the SOTE wave was a different story. Those suckers warmed many a peg back in the day, but those were about the only EU that sat around in this area as far as I can recall. Oh yeah, except of course for those lame vehicles - the cloud car, mini snowspeeder, and that horrible speeder bike.

El Chuxter
07-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry; I meant Spacetrooper and Darktrooper. I saw the Darktrooper a couple of times, but the only Spacetrooper I ever saw, I bought. Mara and the Sentinel didn't stay around long, but I saw a few of each on the pegs for more than two days. Clone Emperor, Thrawn, Jedi Leia, and especially Darkside Luke pegwarmed pretty hard, though.

This was in Roanoke, VA, about 30-45 minutes from where KH lives now. I was shocked when I moved to SoCal and learned those were impossible to find here, as were the Max Rebo Band sets, which ended up on clearance at $2 each.

Reefer Shark
07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
The crazy world of toy distribution... :crazed: It's either feast or famine depending on where you are.

Phantom-like Menace
07-08-2006, 12:13 AM
There's no conspiracy. Some of us have been crying for more expanded Universe for almost ten years, so it should not come as a surprise that Hasbro would finally want to do EU figures in the form of Scorch, Foul, or whoever, and it should come as absolutely no surprise that they would come up on the Fans' Choice poll. As for figures coming up on the poll that were also scheduled to be released . . . some people just aren't as informed as they should be. Everyone votes, not just those who are informed of what figures are coming out.

Hasbro is not making EU figures at the expense of blink-and-you-miss-them characters. I don't know if some of you are sitting in a Lone Gunmen-style headquarters compiling evidence that Hasbro was sitting there trying to decide whether they were going to make Bkhdfklhgasdf Hkjhfdklsd from Jabba's Palace or Scorch, decided to make Scorch and then put Hsaifduadhf Hudoawfsj, or whatever his name was on the list of figures never to do no matter how much fans cry, but that's just not how it's done. Jdhauisdl Hhsudai is a movie character. He's insurance. He's the nice, warm, protective bosom Hasbro returns to when they're scared. He's the vanilla ice cream Baskin and Robbins will always keep no matter how many vaunted flavors they have. There is no way short of an event as important as a directive from Lucasfilm that he will not be made sometime in the next twelve years that Hasbro has this license. And if there is a directive from Lucasfilm or an event of similar importance, there's no possibility Sasfajslg Hsfajfha would be made anyway, so it doesn't matter how much anyone wants him. EU doesn't have this insurance. EU is a risk. There are no people who only buy EU, because they aren't locked in a narrow EU-only viewpoint. Hasbro is taking a chance with EU. It scares them, almost as much as it scares some of you. Remember, they actually have something to lose if they make EU figures. You don't. Nothing. Not a thing.

Also, let's say Hasbro has no desire whatsoever to make Yarna. That's a lack of desire. That's not a desire to make either an EU figure or Yarna so they picked EU. That is a lack of desire. No Yarna was harmed in the making of this decision. Hufalsd Hjaiha has not been lost to the world because they made Foul Moudama.

And just for kicks, the opposite is true too. Hasbro isn't sitting around wondering whether they should make Hasbfkjs Hfdauihfs or Corran Horn only to decide to make Aafjdahs Shjasha and put Horn on the Never in Plastic Form List.

Personally, I hate the idea that Bastila might be the winner. I actually despised that orange and gold costume and put her in other clothes as soon as I could. I'll buy her, though, if she is the winner. She might stay in her plastic prison and maybe I'll buy another if her 'saber is cool enough. But otherwise I'm just supporting EU.

Just be happy for us. If Yarna were made, good on you. That's great. Wake me up when something interesting happens. If Bastila did win, fine, congrats to the hardcore KotOR fans. I hope you get every figure you want and then some. If Han with lopsided smile won, perfect, I doubted Hasbro would get around to that one on their own with Han resculpt #47 sometime around 2015.

dindae
07-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Look out of the top 25 their were only 9 movie figs and 16 EU choices. Out of the 8 Marine trooper was confirmed, Hermi Odle is on the list RS put out and Luke Jedi was at the top of the remakes the Hasbro rep that is answering the questions would like to see. Of the 17 EU choices Kir Kanos is confirmed, Quinlan and Padme Ilum were on list to be done. So far both are getting decent treatment. And technically the character for Quinlan is based off a extra in episode one. So if you don't want to think of him as eu you can say he is extra character 103 in Mos Espa. The problem is that the well of exciting character from the movie is running low. They have the license until 2018 and plan on making it last but if they continue to crank out 50+ figures a year and 30 of those not being straight repacks the movie characters will be gone in 3-4 years and Habro be stuck with the TV series and other EU stuff alone. The will do Neyo, AOTC Padme (technically one is on the list I just didn't count her since no desciption was given), and SA Darth Maul (I thought he was taking care of with the Evolutions pack but he was on the poll for some reason). As far as Yarna, Wilrow and funeral Padme Hasbro may or may not ever make them. i want these figures but I understand that no kid is going to get excited about them. Yarna and Wilrow have been on tons of fan polls and it doesn't seem to phase Hasbro. I guess my point is EU is going to be a part of line so that when kids want a figure they will choose a Darth Malak over Wilrow Hood because he looks cool and has a lightsaber and they may have played the video game.

BoShek
07-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Wilrow Hood was my vote. Why can't this guy get made already?

Turbowars
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm very disappointed to say the least. I didn't think Ice Cream dude would win, but I was really thinking Yarna would pull through, hell it would had been nice if any OT character would had. Never been a EU kind of guy.

The Concept Trooper was different and I never did concinder him OT, because he was a concept for the OT. :yes: I want a small tangent line for Concept figures.

Tycho
07-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm just stating my perference. I'm no more right or wrong than anyone else with a preference.

But I buy to make dioramas only. I never bought nor plan on buying "concept figures*" but do create dioramas based off of EU comics and books I've read, because the realistic look of the figures almost brings the source material to real "physical" life. (For example "Heir to the Empire" only requires you add Mara Jade to the company of Han, Luke, Lando, and a lot of Imperials to create a Myrkr scene - though a Talon Kaarde figure would help.)

*A concept Chewbacca figure might be useable as another Wookiee in my Battle of Kashyyyk scene.

*I bought the POTJ EU figures of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon because while they might have sort of been inspired my concept sketches, their attire as such inspired a similar description of their dueling practice clothes in the Jedi Apprentice series. (The Maul was terrible - I bought it but returned it I felt it was so much crap).

abell748
07-08-2006, 01:10 PM
If everybody is anti-EU, then is it that I have never seen most of the EU figures released? I have only seen the SOTE, the first wave of CW, Foul, and the Mara Jade I picked up. I would love to get the Scorch, Durge, Asajj, Dark Empire and other EU figures I have never seen and refuse to pay $20- $30 for. If the EU is damned undesirable, these figures should have been collecting dust all over the pegs. There is a huge fan base for this stuff and Hasbro is finally going to fill the void. If nobody liked the s*** then it would not have netted so many of the top 25 slots. Rant over...

Slicker
07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
There is a huge fan base for this stuff and Hasbro is finally going to fill the void. If nobody liked the s*** then it would not have netted so many of the top 25 slots. Rant over...I think the majority of that has to do with the fact that you were able to vote unlimited amounts of times.

pegger
07-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm just stating my perference. I'm no more right or wrong than anyone else with a preference.

Excatly - and I'm stating my preference. I would have PREFERRED a non-EU character. I will be disappointed if an EU fig wins, because, to me, most of them are just boring figs.(and again, that's just me...and JJ, KH, Slicker, Turbo, etc...) What I don't fully understand is why when someone says "EU - yuck" - the EU fans treat it like I'm insulting their mothers?

Now to counter Phantom-like Menace - Hasbro has repeated statedly that they do not want, nor have any intention to release a Yarna, because of her EU profession - so while 99.99% of the time your arguement may hold true, I do believe (quite strongly) that this was Yarna's one and only chance of seeing plastic. So in this case, the act of making an EU fig DOES come at the expense of a canon fig.

Seeing how they have the liscence until 2018, I KNOW that they will have to milk EU for some ideas, because most of the figs of characters of any sort of note are made. I believe Tycho has a full list. So then I put back to you, what is the mad rush for a Jaina or Anakin Solo? I could understand the desire for an alien, or deformed Sith Lord - they atleast look distinctive. If I want an Anakin Solo - I would use an Anakin Skywalker kid fig and give him a lightsabre - because that's what this fig is essentially going to be...

In ANY event - I am happy (grudgingly) for you EU people - you got what you wanted. I am just disappointed. ((I should add - I don't HATE EU - I will probably buy some (if not all of them) - I just PREFER Canon)

jjreason
07-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I'll likely buy them as well - in the beginning - but my completist ways are already behind me, and I'll be buying less and less as they make more and more EU. I just don't have the same affinity for it.

Reefer Shark
07-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Excatly - and I'm stating my preference. I would have PREFERRED a non-EU character. I will be disappointed if an EU fig wins, because, to me, most of them are just boring figs.(and again, that's just me...and JJ, KH, Slicker, Turbo, etc...) What I don't fully understand is why when someone says "EU - yuck" - the EU fans treat it like I'm insulting their mothers?
lol! Since I really don't have a preference, I really don't care what anyone else likes as far as EU and cannon figures go. Seems a little silly to get so serious about the whole thing anyways. They're all Star Wars figures to me, and I'll take 'em or leave 'em.

I also don't think that there's some kind of EU fans vs cannon fans thing going like your post suggests. I do think it's funny to see pages of people *****ing because their favorite figure didn't win the poll, that's why I posted what I did. Reminds me of the hen house at our office (that's name we've given the Accounting department because all the old ladies just wank all day).

Hell, like I said I really don't care, I didn't even vote :lipsrsealed: I'll shut up now! lol

Tycho
07-08-2006, 03:19 PM
What I don't fully understand is why when someone says "EU - yuck" - the EU fans treat it like I'm insulting their mothers?

I can explain this nicely.

Many of us EU fans get bored of having only the movies. With the new material, some of it is awesome (James Luceno) and some of it is awful (Barbara Hambly).

The authors use many elements of the movies to even give the movie extras backstories - like what was Momaw Nadon doing in the Mos Eisley Cantina? (Look it up in Tales From Mos Eisley). Remember, the guy was just "Hammerhead" on LF costume description sheets and Kenner's original figures.

Having the EU figures made, helps validate the EU to those of us who want to consider the whole continuity "cannon." I mean the Rebellion won the war in ROTJ (well part of it) with the help of a Jedi Knight (Luke) - then what? They didn't kill or form a treaty with every Imperial starship captain. The Empire (without an Emperor now) still controlled the majority of the galaxy. The Rebellion succeeded in destroying 2 Death Stars and seeing the end of the current Sith regime (Palpatine and Vader). What was the point if Mon Mothma, Leia, and Ackbar didn't pursue more victories and establish a new government?

Lucasfilm Licensing painstakingly did their best to make sure that all the EU fit into one continuity as best as it could and told a continuing story and prologue as well.

Star Trek has no such order to its EU, though sometimes Paramount says that certain books count - like "Best Destiny" the story of young Captain Kirk and his father.

I'm sure we each have fantasized about what happened before TPM or after ROTJ - or in between them.

I wanted to write this story where it was revealed that Luke, Leia, and Han were actually shape-shifters and devolved into purple raindeer and put the goddess Bambi on the Imperial throne and outlawed venison being served on any planet. You might prefer the continuity as it stands with Han marrying Leia and having 3 children with her: Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin - and Luke eventually marrying Mara Jade and having a son, Ben Skywalker. There's no purple raindeer however.

But there has been a continuity spanning 15 years of books, from when Jaina and Jacen were born in Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire series, and Anakin Solo came to be in Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire series, to see them grow up (or in Anakin's case, get killed off) and reach their mid-twenties as Jedi Knights.

I think that almost all of us envision Leia and Han marrying - it seems a natural outgrowth of the events in ROTJ. So the EU showed us what that would be like and coordinated many authors' vision of that.

EU figures help validate that. Besides, for those of us who still open our figures and set up dioramas with them or play with them, the EU figures save us from having to buy GI Joe, POTC, Jurassic Park, or any other license to make custom figures from. We can have "the official thing."

As Pegger noted, there are approximately 211 (now less) figures (pre-ROTS) that appear clearly in the background (or foreground) of scenes in the 5 movies (pre-ROTS) that have never been made. And while Lushros Dofine and Holo-Ki-Adi-Mundi are the hottest things on the pegs in stores now (ha!) we know that since Anakin and Obi-Wan do ship, and they are NOT on the pegs, that these characters need to continue to be in the case assortments. Those of you who buy Batman products want to start with a Batman figure, not Commissioner Gordon, right? The latter would be boring without the former. Am I correct? Well Luke Skywalker is Star Wars' version of Batman, Superman, whatever. Sideline characters like Dofine interact with mainline ones like Grievous (you don't see the Droid General pegwarming either, do you?)

JediTricks
07-08-2006, 03:53 PM
*A concept Chewbacca figure might be useable as another Wookiee in my Battle of Kashyyyk scene.Concept Chewie is a reptillian brute, not useful as what we know of as a Wookiee. Concept Chewie looks crazy cool, not very good as a cinematic character but an awesome pulp magazine character.

*I bought the POTJ EU figures of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon because while they might have sort of been inspired my concept sketches, their attire as such inspired a similar description of their dueling practice clothes in the Jedi Apprentice series. (The Maul was terrible - I bought it but returned it I felt it was so much crap).Concept Qui-Gon wasn't very Jedi, and concept Obi-Wan was a silly arctic guy. Concept Maul I thought was great and just needed more articulation: www.geocities.com/jeditricks/plo-maul (http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/plo-maul)

I also liked the red-piping Maul from the Saga line.

As for who won this Toy Fare Fan Choice poll thing, it depends on the figure itself as well as the character , I don't love the EU but if the figure's cool I'll get it, like Asajj Ventress and dlx Durge who are among my favorite SW figures.

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
- but my completist ways are already behind me, and I'll be buying less and less.

Tell that to the Tatooine Han

Jargo
07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I like DLX Durge's swoop. that's cool without the lance. the figure I don't like. It looks too GI Joe.

El Chuxter
07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Tell that to the Tatooine Han

I was about to call out ol' jj about that one, too. :)

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Just to let you know, I got it for him already.

Tycho
07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
and concept Obi-Wan was a silly arctic guy.

You forgot the Battle Armor Obi-Wan that POTJ released with Shmi. That was the Obi-Wan I was referring to. (but it wasn't much of battle armor - more like a dark blue / black uniform).

The Snowbi-Wan figure was used in the comic adaptation of the Jedi Quest hardcover. When Obi-Wan took Anakin to Illum to make his AOTC lightsaber, both had to wear snow gear. The artist used the look for the prelude in the book (Anakin was about 13 then). However the outfits are brown in the comic instead of blue like the figure. Yes, it's the same planet that Clone Wars took Snowbunny Padme to, when Yoda rescues Bariss and Luminara.

The Jedi Apprentice series does not specifically describe the EU outfits that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan wore for training, but in book 18 I believe, they had to blend in with an industrial workforce on a planet they were aiding prevent a war over manufacturing sabotage. They practiced lightsaber dueling with each other and you get an idea of where Obi-Wan learned Count Dooku's moves - through Qui-Gon (once Dooku's padawan). In anycase, in spite of the book's cover art, they did practice-duel while not really dressed as Jedi. And I wanted those figures, so I used that as an excude to buy them for a scene, though it really only consists of those two.

I am so awesome!

Phantom-like Menace
07-09-2006, 12:09 AM
What I don't fully understand is why when someone says "EU - yuck" - the EU fans treat it like I'm insulting their mothers?

Very rarely do I see anyone respond to the simple statement of dislike for EU. I begin to get annoyed when movie purists start up the standard tirade against EU figures in favor of movie figures. EU fans, who are the only people who have a legitimate fear their figures will not get made, get drowned out by people who are all but willing to give up their first born children for figures that are inevitable. These guys should be sipping beers next to the pool and just waiting for some company's one of every figure program to deliver them to their door. Instead, they're wishing evil upon us because we occasionally, every once in a rare while, get our way too.

Now to counter Phantom-like Menace - Hasbro has repeated statedly that they do not want, nor have any intention to release a Yarna, because of her EU profession - so while 99.99% of the time your arguement may hold true, I do believe (quite strongly) that this was Yarna's one and only chance of seeing plastic. So in this case, the act of making an EU fig DOES come at the expense of a canon fig.

No, I already covered that when I mentioned Hasbro's specific desire not to make Yarna. The reason they have had to repeatedly say they are not making her is because they have repeatedly been asked. They are fully aware there is a great desire or they would have only had to say it a couple of times. It's not that Hasbro has no desire to make her, it's that Hasbro has a specific desire not to make her. I really can't be convinced Hasbro would make her if she did win. They probably would have just announced the runner up as the winner, and they may have. It's not like they hadn't stated previously they were not going to make her, and they certainly didn't qualify that statement. Yes, they also didn't qualify the fans' choice poll, but I know which one I would bank on having more significance.

Kidhuman
07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
So, by saying if she won and they produced the runner up, then it would not be a fans choice poll, but Hasbro doing what ever they want to do in the first place, so then the poll has no meaning and was a waste of time, not only by fans, but toy fair magazine as well.

Phantom-like Menace
07-09-2006, 12:29 AM
So, by saying if she won and they produced the runner up, then it would not be a fans choice poll, but Hasbro doing what ever they want to do in the first place, so then the poll has no meaning and was a waste of time, not only by fans, but toy fair magazine as well.

I'm neither saying it would be right nor that I would agree. Again, if Yarna were voted for and Yarna were made, what do I have to complain about? My EU figure was (no pun intended) a dark horse candidate anyway. If the clone commander (snow clone) won, given that they were already looking to make that figure anyway, I imagine the runner up would have been announced as the winner in that case too. It's not meaningless it's disqualification. Yarna won, but we said already in the past we were not going to make her. Period. So, Ice Cream Maker Guy won. or Clone commander won, but we already stated we were making him anyway. Period. So, Bastila won. Neither of those decisions seems especially unlikely or unsavory.

El Chuxter
07-09-2006, 10:13 AM
EU not WANTED around these parts!

:D

Hasbro's not going to do what we want. They've got a figure in mind, and the poll will be rigged to meet what they have in production. This is a marketing tool, designed to see what other characters score high on the list. It's how they've run every other Fan's Choice poll. If it takes so long to create prototypes, why is it they've got pics on their site so quickly?

Droid
07-09-2006, 11:05 AM
I have posted this before, but the arguments to not make Yarna are insane, absolutely insane.

In the film she is an overweight woman dancing in a oddly cut top. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing in the movie suggest she has six breasts. Nothing suggests she is a prostitute. There is no reason she should not be made into an action figure based on Return of the Jedi. They made Leia in her slave outfit. They made Oola. They made that gal from the Outlander club and the girl from the Watto's box cinema scene. They can make Yarna.

Second, everyone says, "she isn't very interesting." She is as interesting a figure as that yellow Naboo guy that is about to come out. She is as interesting as Wuher. She is as interesting as any number of human figures they have made that were on screen for about two seconds.

She was in the ending credits of Jedi. She is a key figure to any Jabba's Palace diorama.

Everyone is always claiming they want more female figures. People crave Toryn Farr. (Oh my, isn't she FASCINATING?) But people specifically DON'T want Yarna. Explain that one to me.

Hasbro has no rational reason not to make her. If people don't want her, fine, but there is no rational argument why she should not be made considering all the figures that have already been made since 1995.

If you'll all excuse me now, I am going to go be entralled with my Lobot figure. He is so INTERESTING.

Turbowars
07-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Awesome post Droid! I totally agree. It makes me mad when I hear people say they shouldn't make her. Maybe it's the young kids out there that are so in love with the 3 newer films. Sometimes I wonder if the OT is even still popular with new collectors.:cross-eye

Slicker
07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the OT is even still popular with new collectors.:cross-eyeAmen to that brother.

Tycho
07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I've been watching the OT again - just finished ESB last night.

The movies are very well mined for almost all possible characters that stand out. Wilrow Hood (the Ice Cream Maker Guy) is more significantly different than Capt.Needa is from Jerjerrod, for example.

Yarna, however, was a fat, ugly woman. Asthetically, she's not my first preference to look at. And while we're griping about KENNER figures not all being redone, I remind you that Yarna was a prototype and Klaatu (Woof, whomever - a green Nikto, OK?) never had his vintage figure updated for the modern line. He's more interesting as an action figure than Yarna.

I don't care if they make Yarna really. I would buy 1 of her if they did. That being said, I don't forsee her getting as great of sales as even ICMG - or Needa who would sell even though he won't look too different from Jerjerrod at that scale.

Droid
07-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Yarna, however, was a fat, ugly woman. Asthetically, she's not my first preference to look at. And while we're griping about KENNER figures not all being redone, I remind you that Yarna was a prototype and Klaatu (Woof, whomever - a green Nikto, OK?) never had his vintage figure updated for the modern line. He's more interesting as an action figure than Yarna.

A new standard for whether an action figure should be made - whether or not Tycho thinks they're hot. Are we to assume, Tycho, that you have a thing for Shmi, Depa Billaba, Yaddle, the female Tusken, Aunt Beru, Sy Snootles, Greeata, and Mon Mothma?

I don't remember in my post griping about Kenner figures that hadn't been redone.

We do have at least one version of Klaatu, Tycho. And vintage Jabba's Palace Klaatu is in my Top Ten Most Wanted Figures, along with YARNA.

El Chuxter
07-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey, Droid, young Mon Mothma was definitely no slouch in the looks department. No Barriss Offee, maybe, but definitely not fugly.

Tycho
07-09-2006, 03:24 PM
A new standard for whether an action figure should be made - whether or not Tycho thinks they're hot. Are we to assume, Tycho, that you have a thing for Shmi, Depa Billaba, Yaddle, the female Tusken, Aunt Beru, Sy Snootles, Greeata, and Mon Mothma?

Oh yes! Yaddle! Have you ever been with a midget that painted herself green? That's where it's at, I tell you! How I'd hit that and learn to use the Force!

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
You forgot the Battle Armor Obi-Wan that POTJ released with Shmi. That was the Obi-Wan I was referring to. (but it wasn't much of battle armor - more like a dark blue / black uniform).Yeah, I forgot him, that helmet-wearing goober that looked all frumpy. What I said about Qui-Gon not being very Jedi goes the same for Obi-Wan here, they're similar outfits too.

The Snowbi-Wan figure was used in the comic adaptation of the Jedi Quest hardcover. When Obi-Wan took Anakin to Illum to make his AOTC lightsaber, both had to wear snow gear. The artist used the look for the prelude in the book (Anakin was about 13 then). However the outfits are brown in the comic instead of blue like the figure. Yes, it's the same planet that Clone Wars took Snowbunny Padme to, when Yoda rescues Bariss and Luminara.I really wonder if anybody else cares though.

Nothing in the movie suggest she has six breasts.Well, except for the fact that you can see she's got 6 breasts and 3 tube-tops to cover them. :p One of the shots in the movie from over Jabba's tail of Oola dancing is a good example of this, another is 2 shots later when she's the main focus shot dancing away like a weirdo (this is the shot before Oola starts to struggle in the pre-SE version). And it shows her with them and says as much in her movie bio on SW.com: http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yarnadalgargan/index.html
And you can see another pic of the actor in costume in the EU section, plus a drawing of the 6 breast concept in the Behind the Scenes section.

But that's no reason *not* to make the figure though, the Oola figure is wearing a mesh top barely covering her breasts - which I might add fall out in both versions of the movie - yet they still made that figure!

I remind you that Yarna was a prototype and Klaatu (Woof, whomever - a green Nikto, OK?) never had his vintage figure updated for the modern line. He's more interesting as an action figure than Yarna.Oh my god, are you really going to gripe over them not remaking this figure in the same OUTFIT?!? What the hell? They made the figure of Klaatu, it's in the Jabba's Skiff Guards cinema scene 3pack, it's the same guy with the same head, he's not interesting enough or in the movie enough to warrant a new outfit. By that thinking, we may as well still need Walrusman and Hammerhead figures since Hasbro never redid their Kenner vintage outfits.

Tycho
07-09-2006, 05:00 PM
First, I wonder if that was a MAN playing Yarna in ROTJ? Anyone check the screen credits? I don't have time at the moment. I can't phathom where they found a woman with 6 breasts to play the part anyway. It looks like Meatloaf in Fight Club instead.

I really wonder if anybody else cares though.[About Obi-Wan wearing his snow gear on Illum]

Well I care - and I'm the most important person I can think of!

Oh my god, are you really going to gripe over them not remaking this figure in the same OUTFIT?!? What the hell? They made the figure of Klaatu, it's in the Jabba's Skiff Guards cinema scene 3pack, it's the same guy with the same head, he's not interesting enough or in the movie enough to warrant a new outfit. By that thinking, we may as well still need Walrusman and Hammerhead figures since Hasbro never redid their Kenner vintage outfits.

But in the KENNER vintage days we had both outfits for Klaatu (they were probably supposed to be different green Niktos anyway). I believe the skiff guard was actually Klaatu by name, and the character in Jabba's palace was Woof. So to be more precise - I want a Woof figure! And I'm special.

JediTricks
07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
First, I wonder if that was a MAN playing Yarna in ROTJ? Anyone check the screen credits? I don't have time at the moment. I can't phathom where they found a woman with 6 breasts to play the part anyway. It looks like Meatloaf in Fight Club instead.It's likely a prosthetic appliance. According to the link I had in my previous post, it says the ROTJ credits list the character as "fat dancer" and she's played by actress Claire Davenport.

Well I care - and I'm the most important person I can think of!But why should anybody else?

But in the KENNER vintage days we had both outfits for Klaatu (they were probably supposed to be different green Niktos anyway). I believe the skiff guard was actually Klaatu by name, and the character in Jabba's palace was Woof. So to be more precise - I want a Woof figure! And I'm special.No, that's the same guy in a different outfit according to Kenner, both named "Klaatu" (that's the guy's name at the time, not the species), there's "Klaatu" and "Klaatu in Skiff Guard Outfit" but Kenner treats them as they're the same character - see attachments (that friggin' Klaatu Skiff carded was hard as hell to find, they released the figure as a pack-in to a playset before so there's a ton of loose ones). And thus Hasbro's done Klaatu once already and that's more than enough, he's barely onscreen at all.

Tycho
07-09-2006, 05:44 PM
And thus Hasbro's done Klaatu once already and that's more than enough, he's barely onscreen at all.

No it's not enough! I said so.:whip:

Droid
07-09-2006, 05:52 PM
No it's not enough!

On the point that they should make versions of Klaatu, I am with Tycho. Just as they should make Sim Aloo even though they made two other Dignataries. Just as they should make Lumat, Warok, and Romba even though we have two generic Ewoks. Just as they should make the Jabba's Palace Ishi Tibb even though we have the one from the Rebel Briefing (before they made that figure I only thought that the Ishi Tibbs were in Jabba's Palace. Rebel Briefing Ishi Tibb, odd choice Hasbro.)

Droid
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, except for the fact that you can see she's got 6 breasts and 3 tube-tops to cover them. :p One of the shots in the movie from over Jabba's tail of Oola dancing is a good example of this, another is 2 shots later when she's the main focus shot dancing away like a weirdo (this is the shot before Oola starts to struggle in the pre-SE version). And it shows her with them and says as much in her movie bio on SW.com: And you can see another pic of the actor in costume in the EU section, plus a drawing of the 6 breast concept in the Behind the Scenes section.

You win this round, JediTricks! But I shall fight on to gripe another day until the Yarna figure is mine!

plasticfetish
07-09-2006, 08:09 PM
You know, you guys really need to relax about all of this. I'm willing to bet that at some point, whether it's an online exclusive, a convention exclusive, or maybe even a carded figure that you can find dangling all over the pegs at TRU, you'll probably get your Yarna. This all just reminds me of how my son will ask for some toy, I'll tell him that he can NEVER have that one all year long, but then Santa brings it come Christmas. It's called hype. If I was Hasbro, I'd let the Yarna thing drag on as long as possible really. I mean... it's funny.

Same goes for the Ice Cream Maker Guy. I'd hold onto that idea for as long as possible and then release that as an exclusive.

Anyway, carry on with the Yarna-babble. I'll be here crossing my fingers for KOTOR figures. ;)

DarkArtist
07-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I know I will get flack for this but hey. For those of you who believe that the fan's choice poll was rigged, here is a question for you. Is it possible that the figure or figures that won the poll actually had more votes. I mean as far as Yarna goes, okay I get it people want her, however crying about the fact that she may not have won and stating that the poll was fixed is ridiculous. Give it a rest, if she lost she lost. Eventually she will get a figure, however you may have to wait a few years.

Turbowars
07-09-2006, 09:43 PM
We have waited long enough and we can ***** all we want.:yes: No one is forcing you to read our cries.;)

Tycho
07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
Oh man, will I ever "get" JediTricks with this one!!!

Oh my god, are you really going to gripe over them not remaking this figure in the same OUTFIT?!? What the hell? They made the figure of Klaatu, it's in the Jabba's Skiff Guards cinema scene 3pack, it's the same guy with the same head, he's not interesting enough or in the movie enough to warrant a new outfit. By that thinking, we may as well still need Walrusman and Hammerhead figures since Hasbro never redid their Kenner vintage outfits.

He's SO not the same guy with the same head (well technically the figure could be) but I was watching this movie called Return of the Jedi that came out in 1983. When this character called Jabba the Hutt was going to have the heroes executed after the main protagonist (a guy named Luke Skywalker) kills the Hutt's giant pet beast called a rancor monster, you see 2 green Niktos side by side escorting the captured heroes out to their execution at something called a Sarlaac Pit. One green Nikto is dressed as the Skiff Guard Klaatu, the other in the sheepskin kelt that KENNER made a different action figure of back in 1983 - also then labled Klaatu, but it was actually Woof.

Luke Skywalker defiantly retorted to Jabba the Hutt, "It's the last mistake you'll ever make!"

Klaatu served on one of the skiffs farrying or guarding the prisoners, but the cast extra was eventually filmed also on the sailbarge.

Woof was seen on the sailbarge, but not the skiffs. He presumably died on the sailbarge.

Luke Skywalker killed a lot of people - though the death toll at the Battle of Carkoon pales in comparison to the Battle of Yavin. The movie "Clerks" discusses how many innocent civilian contractors died when the first Death Star blew up.

dindae
07-10-2006, 07:31 AM
The movie "Clerks" discusses how many innocent civilian contractors died when the first Death Star blew up.

Since we are getting people, its the second Death Star due to the number of contract laborers who were still building it. :p

figrin bran
07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Since we are getting people, its the second Death Star due to the number of contract laborers who were still building it. :p

the casualties were minimal. why you ask? well the contract laborers were all on their lunch break! :p

Tycho
07-10-2006, 02:13 PM

You have a point, but in the movie, the characters were discussing how many Luke Skywalker killed I believe. That being the case, he didn't kill anyone in Return of the Jedi after the speederbike chase.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
You know, you guys really need to relax about all of this. I'm willing to bet that at some point, whether it's an online exclusive, a convention exclusive, or maybe even a carded figure that you can find dangling all over the pegs at TRU, you'll probably get your Yarna. This all just reminds me of how my son will ask for some toy, I'll tell him that he can NEVER have that one all year long, but then Santa brings it come Christmas. It's called hype. If I was Hasbro, I'd let the Yarna thing drag on as long as possible really. I mean... it's funny.No, it's stupid at this point. It's been 22 years since they tooled this figure up, and still nothing. You can generally tell when your parents are stringing you along on a present you'll get later, Hasbro over and over has shot this one down for the thinnest of reasons.

He's SO not the same guy with the same head (well technically the figure could be) but I was watching this movie called Return of the Jedi that came out in 1983. When this character called Jabba the Hutt was going to have the heroes executed after the main protagonist (a guy named Luke Skywalker) kills the Hutt's giant pet beast called a rancor monster, you see 2 green Niktos side by side escorting the captured heroes out to their execution at something called a Sarlaac Pit. One green Nikto is dressed as the Skiff Guard Klaatu, the other in the sheepskin kelt that KENNER made a different action figure of back in 1983 - also then labled Klaatu, but it was actually Woof.I checked the SW Chronicles, it's the same mask and gloves. Moreover, the one you keep calling "Woof" is called that because the crew referred to him that way to tell that outfit apart from the one we have a figure of. Kenner treated this as an outfit change for 1 character - you can throw a fit all you want about it, but that part is the truth, blame Kenner.

Now, luckily for you I did actually find him in the Dune Sea scenes, he's the one who first shoots at Luke when Luke gets onto the sail barge, Luke deflects the bolt back into Klaatu's gun hand. The other Klaatu is being held at bay when Leia comes up on deck and Luke sends her over to the main gun - he and a Nikto get their guns chopped in half and turn to leave. I still don't think we need this Klaatu figure though.

Klaatu served on one of the skiffs farrying or guarding the prisoners, but the cast extra was eventually filmed also on the sailbarge.Your memory fails you, Klaatu actually doesn't appear on the skiff, only on the sail barge.

Luke's skiff:
- Nikto piloting (oufit and costume also seen mounting blaster on sail barge railing, he's the one who fires on Lando and sends him and his twin other Nikto over the side)
- Human guard with covered face (first to go into the Sarlacc)
- Barada guard
- Lando guard
- Weequay guard (second into the Sarlacc)
- Han
- Chewie
- Luke
- Weequay in front.

Other skiff:
- Pote Snitkin piloting
- Sgt Doallyn (or same helmet, plus in white outfit)
- helmeted human
- shirtless human
- Nikto yet again
- black-skinned alien
- Barada again
(Luke kills everybody here, though we don't see every kill)

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
has shot this one down for the thinnest of reasons...in this case, we're not talking about thin. ;) The debate over whether or not a single carded figure of a big fat woman with six breasts will sell at Toys R Us, cracks... me... up!

stad
07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, since this thread is Toyfair rumors, and I got my Toyfare today, let's bring it out. #1 was Quinlan Vos, but since he is already being made, they are going with #2 Darth Revan. It should be out in Wave 5 of next year, around June. The Crimson Empire two-pack mystery figure is Carnor Jax, in a repaint of Kir Kanos outfit. Sorry for anyone's crushed hope, dreams, or egos.

It also lends credence to the upcoming EU two packs, saying that Vos and Mara Jade are both supposed to be in those assortments.

stad
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
You have a point, but in the movie, the characters were discussing how many Luke Skywalker killed I believe. That being the case, he didn't kill anyone in Return of the Jedi after the speederbike chase.

Actually they weren't. They were talking about Return of the Jedi and the second Death Star. I think they were talking about how many the Rebellion killed though, but I can't swear to that. They did talk about how the first Death Star was done, and it was just enemy troops, but the second was not, and would have had a bunch of civilian contractors working on it.

Fwad
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, since this thread is Toyfair rumors, and I got my Toyfare today, let's bring it out. #1 was Quinlan Vos, but since he is already being made, they are going with #2 Darth Revan. It should be out in Wave 5 of next year, around June. The Crimson Empire two-pack mystery figure is Carnor Jax, in a repaint of Kir Kanos outfit. Sorry for anyone's crushed hope, dreams, or egos.

It also lends credence to the upcoming EU two packs, saying that Vos and Mara Jade are both supposed to be in those assortments. What other Star Wars stuff was in there? Were there any pictures of future product?

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Well, since this thread is Toyfair rumors, and I got my Toyfare today...Any chance you can scan that and sent it to me? (Did you get it in the mail or at a shop?)

pegger
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, if an EU fig had to win, I'm OK with Vos.

I'm VERY interested in seeing exactly HOW they are going to make a Revan...probably with his/her face covered.....

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
...in this case, we're not talking about thin. ;) The debate over whether or not a single carded figure of a big fat woman with six breasts will sell at Toys R Us, cracks... me... up!They tried to sell an ROTS Mon Mothma figure and she wasn't even in the final cut of the movie! :p At least Yarna is interesting and featured prominently in a famous OT scene.

Stad, thanks for the info. Sounds like next year is the year JT doesn't buy any Fan Choice figures. :ermm:

El Chuxter
07-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Who or what is a Darth Revan?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Hmm . . . well, Quinlan was the best of the EU choices, but since we're already getting him next year anyway, it sucks that he won. Which one's Revan, the one on the cover of KOTOR 2? Meh, he's cool-looking, but I still would've preferred an actual movie character to win.

They tried to sell an ROTS Mon Mothma figure and she wasn't even in the final cut of the movie! At least Yarna is interesting and featured prominently in a famous OT scene.

Yes she was, she's barely visible in the scene where Palpatine talks with Mace about Grievous while Anakin and Obi-Wan have their "poster boy" discussion; she's the senator in the white robes, of course.

Fwad
07-10-2006, 07:00 PM
He is from the video game Knights of the Old Republic.
Who or what is a Darth Revan?

Slicker
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Ok, I'm sorry but I've never even f**king HEARD of Darth Revan!! This is ridiculous.

To paraphrase Charlotte:

"The fanboys are taking over!!"

Tycho
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Stad, thanks for the info. Sounds like next year is the year JT doesn't buy any Fan Choice figures. :ermm:

How sad. Quinlan was in TPM in the Mos Espa scene, btw. Jan Duursema used that Tatooine extra to design the look for Vos in the comics and it was even written that he had a mission there and Qui-Gon chose not to expose either of the Jedi's covers. BTW, Aayla Secura was Quin's padawan at that time, so she was also likely on Tatooine during TPM - just never seen.

Meanwhile that's cool news about Carnor Jax with Kir Kanos. I made custom figures of them fighting a while back. I don't think I need them - they're kit bashes anyway, but cool nevertheless.

I'm not sure if I'll collect KOTOR figures. I don't play the video game. I've bought but have yet to read the comic - I'm missing # 3 anyway. When it comes in on special order, I'll read 1-6. I understand it will continue to #10 and likely beyond as well. So there may be a lot of figures from this genre.

Too bad the New Jedi Order has yet to be recognized.

Quinlan (and Villie - his Devaronian partner in the 2-pack) will make awesome figures and I plan on buying multiples of this set. They're so cool. I wonder if Quin will be kit-bashed from other Jedi sculpts and Villie won't be as well with Labria's head and some other character's body. Villie should have 2 cross drawn holsters however - and the only figures that have those are Jango Fett and Clone Commanders like Bly - I can't see them using those parts for Villie. Also, his horns point the opposite direction of Labria's, and they're larger, plus Villie has pirate earrings and is red not white. I hope Hasbro doesn't go cheap here.

A new Mara Jade would be awesome. They need to start from scratch with her. The original one was not that great and a new headsculpt of Shannon Baksa would be welcome, as would her "modern-day-Jedi outfit" or a Wedding 2-pack that also includes Jedi Master Luke Skywalker - not that there's an outcry from fans for these two in formal-wear.

But I think of everything I'm such a freaking genius!

dindae
07-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure if I'll collect KOTOR figures. I don't play the video game. I've bought but have yet to read the comic - I'm missing # 3 anyway. When it comes in on special order, I'll read 1-6. I understand it will continue to #10 and likely beyond as well. So there may be a lot of figures from this genre.

So far there doesn't seem to be any connection to the game except the era it is set in. On a side note probably the most exciting story arc I've read in a SW comic in a while.

Turbowars
07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Great, a crappy EU figure, what I always wanted.:rolleyes: It's going to be SOTE all over again.

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
"The fanboys are taking over!!"
Phhht! That's fanMAN to you Jr.

Who is Darth Revan? WTF? You're not on a computer? You can't Google it? No excuses...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Revan

Anyway.

I'm VERY interested in seeing exactly HOW they are going to make a Revan...probably with his/her face covered.....Yeah, no doubt with the mask, but it'd be cool if they included a small variety of heads to go with that. Revan wasn't my top vote, I wanted Malak, but I'm just as happy really.

Slicker
07-10-2006, 07:33 PM
How sad. Quinlan was in TPM in the Mos Espa scene, btw. Please tell me you haven't bought into that mess?

El Chuxter
07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Quinlan was based on a background character from TPM.

Turbowars
07-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't care where he comes from, I just feel let down. Can someone hand me a tissue?:cry: ;)

El Chuxter
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
The whole thing makes me wonder what sort of folks voted? I like some EU stuff, but I really wanted Ms Gargan.

Maybe if we're getting something from KOTOR, we can get the female Toydarian from Bounty Hunter next. :rolleyes:

stad
07-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Any chance you can scan that and sent it to me? (Did you get it in the mail or at a shop?)

Came in the mail today. Send me a PM with your email, I'll scan the page for you if you want.

There was some more Star Wars stuff in there, but nothing that we haven't already seen, SW Transformers and the like. They just used the same old promo pics for Vos, Jade, and Revan, and showed the actual pics for the Kir Kanos/Carnor Jax pack. Lot more black on the Carnor Jax figure. Actually, just transposed the red and black between the two figures.

figrin bran
07-10-2006, 09:59 PM
JJL, the character you were talking about on the cover of KOTOR 2 is actually Darth Nihilus

if Revan is the "chosen one", i'm thrilled!!! i'll even get an extra or 2 to make up for all of you that have already made up your minds that you won't buy it. you mean to tell me you don't want more sith figures?

PF, the heads would be nice but there were so many different male and female ones in the game, where would you go about picking which ones? even though i played through the game twice as a female, i can accept SW.com's databank describing revan as a male.

look out because now us "fanmen" aren't going to be content with just revan. now we also need darth malek and bastila shan. and throw in HK47 as well.

El Chuxter
07-10-2006, 10:00 PM
That's fine, but if they still don't make Teek, heads will effin' roll.

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Send me a PM with your emailplasticfetish@comcast.net (Not a big secret. ;))

now we also need darth malek and bastila shan. and throw in HK47 as well.HK-47 is a must... and while they're at it T3-M4 needs to be done, but I'll take him as the pack-in for an Ebon Hawk vehicle/playset. ;)

For Revan, I could see them just picking a few random heads to pack in there. Hmmm... what if they had a few versions going with different heads in each? (Sounds like something they'd pull.)

ROTJLuke
07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
plasticfetish@comcast.net (Not a big secret. ;))

HK-47 is a must... and while they're at it T3-M4 needs to be done, but I'll take him as the pack-in for an Ebon Hawk vehicle/playset. ;)

For Revan, I could see them just picking a few random heads to pack in there. Hmmm... what if they had a few versions going with different heads in each? (Sounds like something they'd pull.)

Please post the scans once you have um! :D

plasticfetish
07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks stad!

And the winner is...

ROTJLuke
07-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Thank you!

Kidhuman
07-10-2006, 11:19 PM
If this isnt the biggest load of s--t since my morning dump.

Just found this link....

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/000854964.cfm

SirSteve
07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks! I'll get it posted in the news section!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-10-2006, 11:31 PM

HK-47 is a must... and while they're at it T3-M4 needs to be done, but I'll take him as the pack-in for an Ebon Hawk vehicle/playset. ;)Yeah, HK-47 will waste all you EU hating meatbags. :twisted:

But seriously, I'm excited about any new figures. I haven't voted in any fan choice polls and I've not been outspoken about getting Yarna, but she deserves to be made. However, I am excited about EU figures. I have been disappointed with some of the older EU figure choices like the POTJ ones, but I guess it made sense for them at the time to make EU figures of well known characters rather than introduce figures that weren't in the movies at all.

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Score another News story for the fine folks at SSG. I noticed otheRS are linking to this page already...

So does this mean that Vos wouldn't get the Fans Choice # 6 title? He earned it.

Carnor Jax has me psyched. I pretty much figures this was the 'other' figure back in the Kir Kano thread, since the two look so much alike it's hard not to do it.

TheDarthVader
07-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I am so disappointed. I campaigned so hard for Yarna to win it all, and now, alas, she is a loser in the fans' choice poll. This definitely blows. I am not going to buy the first or second place winners' figures. Thanks people for helping me save my money. Yarna could have been such a cool figure. But, no, we have to get some EU figures. This sucks. :(

Congrats to the EU gurus who get something they wanted. You'd better buy two or three of them like I was going to do if Yarna had won.

Tycho
07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm so happy. Look: :pleased:

I'm going to start a thread about Vilmah "Villie" Grahrk, the Devaronian mercenary-bounty hunter who's supposed to come with Quinlan Vos' 2-pack.

I wonder who will come with Mara Jade? They really need to re-do her. And if Grand Admiral Thrawn comes with her, they need to re-do him as well.

I could see the EU comics waves as being little more than re-packs of a lot of the 1998 figures:

Quinlan and Villie (re-used Jedi parts and an incorrectly utilized sculpt of Labria) - Hey at least we already have Aayla Secura!

Mara and Thrawn (re-issues from 1998 - uh, not thanks. How about Talon Kaarde with Mara? Or a kit-bashed Luke? Then Thrawn with Joruus C'Boath or Rukh the Noghri?)

Emperor Clone and Imperial Sentinel - with Dark Empire stuff - have 'em

Luke and Leia Jedi - with more Dark Empire stuff - have 'em. Where's Executor Sedriss and Executor Nyst? If they're going to do Dark Empire? (They're Dark Jedi vying to become the new Sith Apprentice, but Luke surpasses them in his quest to destroy Palpatine or any remnants of him)

Kyle Katarn with the Dark Trooper - eh? Kyle needs a resculpt and no comic could be included with this one. Dark Forces was a video game, however 3 graphic novels were written for it - but they just can't be packaged with action figures without being a $40 set or higher.

What might be do-able and interesting is Hobbie and Janson with Rogue Squadron comics. They'd likely wear black X-wing gloves instead of the Snowspeeder pilot get-up, but that's a technicality - and you can't really see what color gloves they're wearing when they're seated in Hasbro's snowspeeders. Obviously they can use the VOTC Luke body for this or at least Gold Leader's - what was his name again? They just came out with him in 2004. I don't think it was Tyree or Hutch. Uggh. Memory block... But Baron Fel would be very cool - all they need to do is some paintwork and a removeable helmet on a TIE Fighter Pilot figure.

SOTE could make a comeback if they did Guri and Leebo as once was planned.

They may re-issue Luke Coruscant (they should do a Lando), or make Lando from the end of ESB finally (he wore that outfit during part of SOTE). Leia as Xizor's prisoner would be a new sexy Leia and they could re-release Xizor (joy). Chewie Snoova really needs a resculpt for height deficiency. They have enough other Wookiee legs now that they could kit-bash Snoova almost.

They could also make Chewie's family from the Holiday Special by kit bashing Wookiees. They'd have to add certain female curves for Mallatabuck (Chewie's wife and Lumpy's mother), but it could work. Again, there's no comic as like with Dark Forces.

figrin bran
07-11-2006, 12:50 AM

HK-47 is a must... and while they're at it T3-M4 needs to be done, but I'll take him as the pack-in for an Ebon Hawk vehicle/playset. ;)

come on PF, you know there's zero chance of an ebon hawk! ;)

and please don't give hasbro ideas like that! though i could use the extra heads for customs, it would be a nightmare trying to get all of them. not that i would have too much competition from fellow collectors, seemingly.

but maybe after seeing this pic, that'll change? http://theforce.jaymach.com/images/RevanRobes.jpg

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 01:24 AM
come on PF, you know there's zero chance of an ebon hawk!No doubt... but they could do worse. With KOTOR III coming eventually, it'd be a cool exclusive for someone.

CaptainSolo1138
07-11-2006, 06:48 AM
This is awesome! It means there's still a shot that I'll get my Dengar in Best Man gear!:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Wow. Darth Revan looks so. . . stupid.

I'll get Quinlan, but I never thought I'd pass on an EU figure until seeing that pic of Darth Cobra Trooper Revan.

pegger
07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow. Darth Revan looks so. . . stupid.

I'll get Quinlan, but I never thought I'd pass on an EU figure until seeing that pic of Darth Cobra Trooper Revan.

That's why I am shocked that this one won....

Firstly - I want to make this clear - I'm NOT an EU hater...I just prefer canon.

Now...IF an EU fig HAD to win, I'm OK with it being a KOTOR fig - I really liked the game, and atleast they are interesting figs. (Sorry Tycho et al... Jaina, Jacen and Anakin just scream BORING to me...no matter who's kids they are...) ((just to be clear, any white human fig at this point screams boring to me....we need more "visable minority" figs, or Jaina in X-wing fighter pilot would be OK by me too))

But out of all the KOTOR figs that were on the list, I think Revan is the most boring figure to win. Atleast Darth Malak, Darth Nihilis, HK-47 and Bastila are INFINATELY more interesting figures...

jedi master sal
07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Pegger, I agree with your thoughts on the KOTOR figs.

As to the poll, what a freakin' sham.

It's WIDELY known that both ICMG and Yarna were campaigned for. Quinlan we all knew would get a lot of votes. But Revan?? Then Mara Jade??

Okay I can see the popularity there, but go onto most of the major SW collecting sites and what do you see time and time again?? ICMG and Yarna. And none of this bullcrap that they divided votes and that not just Quin but TWO others were ahead of them.

Bah, what a freakin' scam. They refuse to do Yarna and that's it.

I thought this was FAN choice, not "Well let's give them something that resembles democracy, then produce what we want anyway..."

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
KH-47 is a must...

Damn straight I am a must have.

dindae
07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I think the results were influenced a lot by the fact that the voting was done on Wizard's site. There are a lot of comic/video game fans that would visit there that have no real intrest in the normal line but will pick up a one shot figure. Look at how hard it is to find Scorch.

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I may get Darth Revan. It depends on whether my Crimson Guards need backup.

(Shall I go for three cracks on him looking like a Cobra today? :D)

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Damn straight I am a must have.

You're just still jealous that there is a Rogue II figure with Snowspeeder coming out.

(Shall I go for three cracks on him looking like a Cobra today? )

Go for the hat trick. Go JOE!!!

stad
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I may get Darth Revan. It depends on whether my Crimson Guards need backup.

(Shall I go for three cracks on him looking like a Cobra today? :D)

After every one I've had to go back and look at the picture. I just don't see Cobra Trooper in that at all, or any Cobra. I'm not sure what he does look like (maybe a Royal Guard more than anything else) but I just don't see Cobra Trooper.

It's WIDELY known that both ICMG and Yarna were campaigned for. Quinlan we all knew would get a lot of votes. But Revan?? Then Mara Jade??

Okay I can see the popularity there, but go onto most of the major SW collecting sites and what do you see time and time again?? ICMG and Yarna. And none of this bullcrap that they divided votes and that not just Quin but TWO others were ahead of them.

I really can not believe that there were that many votes for ICMG. That would truly be a stupid figure, and is a dumb character to do a figure of. Might as well have "anonymous guy running down hallway" figure.

Now I'm not singing the praised of Darth Revan here either, I've yet to play any of those games, and don't know who he is. I'm not against EU, kinda like it, at least some of the books, and it doesn't bother me that an EU guy won. I love the Republic Commando books, and the game is okay. I do think some of the other characters at least look more interesting than this one, but I would still rather have this guy, or nearly any other EU character, than ICMG.

And while I would definitely like a Yarna figure, I'm not too heartbroken if it is never made. There are a ton of figures I'd rather see before her, probably more on the list before her than after. I still want one, but not that much.

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure what he does look likeThroughout the game, there are flashbacks to the character only seen wearing that mask. Later it's revealed that you are really Revan, so he/she ends up looking like whatever you decided for your character.

Given that the game has sold millions of copies, I'm surprised that there aren't more fans around here.

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Seen here guarding Cobra Commander's favorite chair.

Zing!!

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
...that's Slicker's mom's chair.

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Seen here guarding Cobra Commander's favorite chair.

Zing!!

***tosses hat and a octupus (for the Michican boys) in honor of Chuxter's GI JOE hat trick***

dindae
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
...that's Slicker's mom's chair.

Slicker's mom is Cobra Commander?! :shocked:

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Slicker's mom is Cobra Commander?! :shocked:
She's been known to command a few cobras... if you know what I mean. :lipsrsealed:

CaptainSolo1138
07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
an octupus (for the Michigan boys)
You might as well. It's obvious we don't need it for anything else.

Darth Revan. Now Sith are given bird anagrams for names? What's wrong with Darth Corw? Darth Flominga? Darth Sporraw?

I bet Dusty buys a ton of this guy.

Droid
07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I think the results were influenced a lot by the fact that the voting was done on Wizard's site.

Or that you could vote over and over again if you didn't follow the honor system.

I'm not going to say it was fixed just because my choice didn't win; I don't know that it was fixed. I also don't know how many times people voted over and over again for Yarna.

I will say I wish a never before made figure from the FILMS had won the poll.

I will also say I will not be buying any of these EU figures, argument that Vos was in TPM be darned.

I will say I hope that everyone pushing for EU buys as many figures as they claimed they would.

I think it is funny that they keep producing the main characters over and over again because they think the line is driven by children, but now they are making figures that aren't even in the film. It seems that is a pretty small pool of collectors they are going for. I hope it is profitable for them and I hope it doesn't kill the line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Carnor Jax looks pretty cool, and a new Mara Jade could be nice . . . but Revan is a load of crap. He's just not even interesting-looking.

Whatever. I just started playing KOTOR a while ago and it's pretty cool.

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
What will it take to get a Convention Exclusive Silver Lobot as Destro to go along with these? Then, Re-color Moff Jerrjerod and General Veers as Tomax and Xamot. The Dengar could fill in as one of the Dreadnaughts, and a Emeror Palpatine that has a removeable robe that reveals a Serpentor outfit.

Toss in a Cobra HISS that transforms into a AT-ST, and we got ourselves a whole new cross-over line.

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I think GI-Durge needed someone to play with.

I just hope everyone that voted (and voted and voted) for the EU winner buys the number of figures as the number of times they voted :)

I don't mind seeing another sith jedi. Just don't want an over abundance of EU to not sell and hurt the future of the SW line in the eyes of retailers.

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Here is a nicely done fan-made Darth Revan Costume

http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7056&sort=8&size=medium&cat=3164&page=1

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
We already have the EU figure as the Crimson Guard (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/crimsonguard.shtml)

How about yet another paint variation for the Clones? Blue with a giant red Cobra on the chest (http://www.yojoe.com/action/82/cobra.shtml). Make it a Battlepack with four of those plus a Clone Pilot repainted as the Tele-Viper (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/televiper.shtml).

And, on second thought, Dengar should be Major Bludd (http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/majorbludd.shtml). He just needs an eyepatch.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Yes she was, she's barely visible in the scene where Palpatine talks with Mace about Grievous while Anakin and Obi-Wan have their "poster boy" discussion; she's the senator in the white robes, of course."Barely visable" really isn't a strong counter-argument to what I was saying. :p

Ok, I'm sorry but I've never even f**king HEARD of Darth Revan!! This is ridiculous. Ditto!

How sad. Quinlan was in TPM in the Mos Espa scene, btw. Jan Duursema used that Tatooine extra to design the look for Vos in the comics and it was even written that he had a mission there and Qui-Gon chose not to expose either of the Jedi's covers.You're right, that is sad, it's sad that you think such a cheap retcon would warrant a figure. :p I couldn't care less about this guy, a total no-interest.

Who is Darth Revan? WTF? You're not on a computer? You can't Google it? No excuses...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Revan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Revan)Oh boy, another ripoff of Darth Vader, w00t! :p It also reminds me a little of that Atha Prime figure Kenner was gonna do in '86, and eventually got turned into the Imperial Sentinel. Unless this is a mega-cool figure in its own rite, I'll likely pass.

And I totally see the Cobra Commander/Trooper helmet influence Chux mentioned - COBRAAAAA!!!!

I think the results were influenced a lot by the fact that the voting was done on Wizard's site. There are a lot of comic/video game fans that would visit there that have no real intrest in the normal line but will pick up a one shot figure. Look at how hard it is to find Scorch.That's a good point about the voting on Wizard's site. I dunno about Scorch example though, he's a figure that is short-packed and another member of the RCCT - Rainbow Coallition of Clone Troopers - which always sell pretty well. Yet Asajj Ventress and Dlx Durge, both of which I consider great SW action figures, didn't sell too well a few years ago.

Or that you could vote over and over again if you didn't follow the honor system.Is that right? Too funny. I didn't even vote on it once, I knew this was going to become a debacle.

I think it is funny that they keep producing the main characters over and over again because they think the line is driven by children, but now they are making figures that aren't even in the film. It seems that is a pretty small pool of collectors they are going for. I hope it is profitable for them and I hope it doesn't kill the line.Yeah, at best I think they're going to be getting about 30,000 collectors for this stuff nationwide (the minimum run for most figures is 50,000, but that's usually a wider consumer base, the EU consumer base I believe will be way smaller).

Let me ask you EU-slobberers in here, if the Star Wars action figure line tanks next year with all these EU figures not selling to kids, will there be a buck-passing on the issue or will you own it?

Tycho
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Let me ask you EU-slobberers in here, if the Star Wars action figure line tanks next year with all these EU figures not selling to kids, will there be a buck-passing on the issue or will you own it?

If they make the Yuuzhan Vong warriors, I'll buy like 15-20 of them.

If they make Jaina and Jacen Solo, I'll probably buy about 4-5 of each twin.

I'm sure I'll get 4-5 Quinlan Vos figures.

As to Darth Revan? I don't play the game and I've bought but yet need to read that comic (after I get issue 3 which I'm missing).

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
You know the Cobra Terrordrome (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/terrordrome/)isn't all that much different than the Death Star.

Droid
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM

I'm guessing that you'll hear some of the EU people complain about the execution of the figure: "poor sculpt", "not enough articulation", "I didn't want that costume", "why aren't there interchangable heads for Darth Letdown?", and then some of them will claim because of those reasons they won't buy them.

Or they'll claim the cost is too high so they passed.

I remember SOTE clogging pegs. I think you could find many Xixors still around in 2000. I think the next wave of EU did pretty well because it had a very limited run.

Once again, I hope they sell like hotcakes. I hope they don't kill the line. I think it will tank.

And the irony is Hasbro will fail having given a vocal part of the fanbase what it has been screaming for.

I'll bet a large portion of Star Wars fans don't know who Han and Leia's kids are and would be shocked to discover Chewbacca was "dead". I could be wrong.

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
The Chameleon Swamp Skier (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/chameleon/)has a striking resemblance to a Speeder Bike. Take off ROTS Anakin's shirt and call him Zartan (http://www.yojoe.com/action/84/zartan.shtml)!

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Nobody has directly answered my question yet. Is that suggestive of one of the answers? ;)

Tycho
07-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I'll own up to saying "Hasbro made and offered EU figures and they did not sell, thus we can see it's a bad idea to go there in the future."***

****However, the EU figures I pine for interact with the characters they've already made:

Luke, Han, Leia interact with Jaina, Jacen, Anakin Solo, the Yuuzhan Vong, Mara Jade

Aayla Secura, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, interact with Quinlan Vos, Villie, Ventress

I don't ask for video game based figures. If they make them, then fine. I have still to read the KOTOR comic anyway. I don't know how similar it is to the game - as I'll likely not play the game anyway.

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I, for one, do not have a preference for "EU" or "Canon". It is all Star Wars to me and the more the merrier. I wil buy at Least one of each...if I like them and/or they are super-articulated, I will buy extras to open. And if they are super-articulated army-builders...I will buy lots of them. But I did not vote EU I voted Neyo and am glad he is coming whether or not I voted for him in the poll.

Now as far as "owning" the demise of the line. There are no fans or collectors that can be blamed for that. If there were...we would have to blame all of the collectors that didn't buy all of the Hasbro 12" figures for the demise of that line. And we would all have to take responsibility for the demise of the Micro Machine line. There is no secret as to what the collectors are looking for. Hasbro will either give it to us...or they won't. And if they don't, they are fools to believe that people will spend the money (which IS excessive as it is even for the best of the figures) and arrogant to expect them to. Hasbro and Hasbro alone will own the success or demise of the line (and they are starting to look a little scared, aren't they).

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 06:46 PM

It really doesn't surprise me that Yarna and Wilrow didn't come close to winning (weren't there three characters ahead of them?). It is true that there was a huge effort to campain for them...but it was by a very small group of people. It was always the same names posting the pro-Yarna and Wilrow messages. I don't think in the 4 websites I go to, that you could count 20 DIFFERENT people posting the I Love Yarna or Wilrow messages. Yes they were a loud 20, but still they were a small group (and yes I know it was PROBABLY more than 20 different people...but that was all I saw).

And I truly believe that IF Yarna or Wilrow had won...JT's fears of the winning figure hurting the line would have been even more founded.

JT - Would you have asked that same question of the canon "sloberers" if that had been the case?

Mad Slanted Powers
07-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Let me ask you EU-slobberers in here, if the Star Wars action figure line tanks next year with all these EU figures not selling to kids, will there be a buck-passing on the issue or will you own it?Exactly how do we "own" it? If they make the EU figures and the people that wanted EU figures buy them, you can't blame them if the line doesn't sell well. Hasbro would just realize that EU figures don't sell well and wouldn't make them anymore.

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I want some EU stuff. But I want the major characters: Teek, Corran, Mara, Quinlan, etc. I could care less about a character who's only from a videogame (and only on one system) and definitely looks like it. I'll change my mind if the figure looks spectacular, but I have no interest.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

I have enough Viper cannon fodder to keep my Snake Eyes figures busy for quite some time.

Reefer Shark
07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
lol! Too funny. It seems like if you're not bashing EU, then your an EU-person (or slobberer lol). I'm w/DC - they're all Star Wars figures, like them or not. I grew up w/SW (saw ANH in '77 at the drive-in), but that doesn't mean I'm going to be prejudice against anything but movie characters. Some of these EU characters look cool to me, and it's that simple. No need to complicate things, and deny myself with a lame devotion to only movie stuff.

The fact is, they've made hundreds of figures from the movies, and there really aren't that many more to do. Hasbro's doing what they think they have to in an attempt to keep the line interesting. If it works, great. If not, I'm not going to say it's my fault because I like some EU stuff. If the line dies, it's because interest is just no longer there (and it will happen someday).

After all, the line died already back in the 80's, and there were no EU figures back then. Does that mean it was the cannon-slobberers fault?

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Let me ask you EU-slobberers in here, if the Star Wars action figure line tanks next year with all these EU figures not selling to kids, will there be a buck-passing on the issue or will you own it?That's a loaded question, because to a certain degree, the Star Wars action figure line started tanking the minute Episode III left the theaters. My honest opinion is that Hasbro's only option for the Star Wars brand, is to start tapping into the EU for source material.

I'll ask another question. Now that the films are over, and since the only things coming from now on with the Star Wars name on it will be by definition "Extended Universe"... are you guys pretty much done with Star Wars? Do you intend to follow any future TV shows, books, games or whatever?

Tycho
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree with the way PlasticFetish thinks as stated above.

To answer his question: I'm going to follow both TV shows and continue buying the comics and books and reading them - and purchasing figures made from all the good ones.

I'm still not a video gamer.

Devo
07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
The fact is, they've made hundreds of figures from the movies, and there really aren't that many more to do.

Thats an eyebrow raising statement. Between OT and PT theres tonnes of core character resculpts needed let alone background characters. Have you watched them lately?? Just look at the Briefing room scene in Return of the Jedi. One scene in one film. We have maybe 10 figures good for it yet the scene is packed with different pilots, different ishi tibbs, Prune Faces, aides to Mon Mothma, aides to General Madine, Mon Calamari crewmen, green garbed human control station operators, droids, camo-soldiers. Not many more to do?? My god man.

plasticfetish
07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm still not a video gamer.Which is fine, because many people aren't. The thing that I find surprising about a lot of the reaction, is how poorly some of you are dealing with the news that... hey... there are a lot of game fans out there. Millions obviously, and much of that is new blood. Having a figure like this win isn't and shouldn't be a big surprise. (I would have cra**ed myself if the ice cream maker guy had won.)

Droid
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
(I would have cra**ed myself if the ice cream maker guy had won.)

I'm kind of with you on that. I think it is a joke that has gotten a bit out of hand. I think everyone saying they want him is still kind of being tongue in cheek about it.

But I would buy one and would rather have one than what won the poll.

Slicker
07-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I've had an entire night to reflect on this and...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

Yep. It's still a lame a55 rigged poll.:yes:

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
It does sound like it. I wonder if it is true that people could vote more than once. And I wonder how we would know. At any rate we owe that rigged poll a debt of gratitude. It saved us from Yarna and Wilrow.

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Rouge II you are killing me with the Joe references.

EU is cocky.

Slicker
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
You could indeed vote more than once. In fact you could vote over, and over, and over, and over, and...well, you get the point. Which is why it's ridiculous. They did the same thing with the All-Star balloting.

Reefer Shark
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Thats an eyebrow raising statement. Between OT and PT theres tonnes of core character resculpts needed let alone background characters. Have you watched them lately?? Just look at the Briefing room scene in Return of the Jedi. One scene in one film. We have maybe 10 figures good for it yet the scene is packed with different pilots, different ishi tibbs, Prune Faces, aides to Mon Mothma, aides to General Madine, Mon Calamari crewmen, green garbed human control station operators, droids, camo-soldiers. Not many more to do?? My god man.
Well I guess there's lots more background "guy standing behind Mon Mothma" figures that they could do, but c'mon... do you really need those?

Trust me, I'll buy any imperial military related figure they release, but the unknown characters are really just extra fluff. Am I going to be bummed out if they don't make "random dude at the computer console in the Death Star"? Hell no! Wouldn't even give it a second thought.

I can understand the desire to have every character if you're a diorama builder like Tycho or JMS, but they are in the minority. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people here do not have the desire or space to setup the briefing room scene in Return of the Jedi.

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for forsaking the beloved Ice Cream maker guy, or Mon Mothma's aid, or whoever, but oh well. That's my opinon.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Thats an eyebrow raising statement. Between OT and PT theres tonnes of core character resculpts needed let alone background characters. Have you watched them lately?? Just look at the Briefing room scene in Return of the Jedi. One scene in one film. We have maybe 10 figures good for it yet the scene is packed with different pilots, different ishi tibbs, Prune Faces, aides to Mon Mothma, aides to General Madine, Mon Calamari crewmen, green garbed human control station operators, droids, camo-soldiers. Not many more to do?? My god man.The thing is, when Ishi Tib, Prune Face and Ephant Mon were released, I didn't know who they were. Many of the aliens in ROTJ just never stood out to me as much, partly because they were mostly just background characters that were hard to notice. In ANH, the cantina scene made a point to focus on the various aliens in there. There are still several from the cantina that I would rather see than from ROTJ. That doesn't mean that I don't want those characters, but I'd rather have characters that spoke or were featured in some other way. This would also include prominent EU characters. Of course, this means ICMG would be down the list by those standards, but I find the whole story surrounding him amusing, so it would be a real hoot to get a figure of him. It would also be a monument in Star Wars figure form to how a little joke can spread across the internet. Perhaps they could make him say "all your base are belong to us" when you push a button on his ice cream maker. Then you can put mentos and cola in it for hours of fun.

Reefer Shark
07-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Yep. It's still a lame a55 rigged poll.:yes:

lol These polls have always been a total wreck, why would this one have been any different? I stopped paying attention to the polls when I noticed that the losers still get made anyways.

Hasbro doesn't need to pull this kind of stunt to get get fans opinion, they just need to cruise around message boards like this one. These polls are just PR work - an attempt to make the customers feel like Hasbro really cares what they think. The actual poll isn't worth squat. But we all knew that already, right? ....uh, right? :nerv:

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 09:25 PM
It saved us from Yarna and Wilrow.

Aaaagh! Yes, I voted for Yarna, but I don't see why anyone would want this Wilrow guy. Of all the times I've watched ESB, I never bothered to even look for him. The joke campaign for him has lasted too long and isn't funny anymore.

I'm still not a video gamer.

I like video games, but I don't want toys for them.

Why stop at painting clones to look like Cobra. How about painting a Super Battledroid to look like a B.A.T. (http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/bat.shtml)

Then, we have a certain pair of EU twins as Zandar (http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/zandar.shtml) and Zarana (http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/zarana.shtml).

figrin bran
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
i'd hate to see the uproar had Darth Malek been picked!

there seems to be such a "us vs. them" mentality going on and yet i don't think any of us that like even just a bit of EU are anti canon at all. i voted for bastila but pretty much would've bought anyone that would've been made be it yarna or ICMG. at least hermie odle is coming, don't forget that!

and for the record, revan's mask is mandolorian :p

Kidhuman
07-11-2006, 10:54 PM

Well if thats the case then, I want 1 dozen....

NOT!!!

Banthaholic
07-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I actually really want Yarna and Wilrow. Yarna has a decent amount of screen time for a background character, and would be great for Jabba's band dioramas.

Wilrow is cool beyond words. Not that he's an interesting character, as much as it shows the power us fans can have. He's an absolute no body that a fan decided to start promoting. Created a website, started petitions, and doing everything to inform fans about ICMG. Well it worked. Even if he doesn't get made, all of the sudden this nobody is known in the SW community. ICMG might be an annoying figure choice to soem but to me it represents the power us fans can have if we dedicate ourselves to a cause.

Darth Cruel
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
i'd hate to see the uproar had Darth Malek been picked!

there seems to be such a "us vs. them" mentality going on and yet i don't think any of us that like even just a bit of EU are anti canon at all. i voted for bastila but pretty much would've bought anyone that would've been made be it yarna or ICMG. at least hermie odle is coming, don't forget that!

The first shots I saw of him made me think Hasbro could do one just by repainting Garindan.

Tycho
07-11-2006, 11:25 PM
There have definitely been some surprises in the line as to background characters that were not focused on:

Kitik Keed Kak
Wuher - did have speaking lines though
Porkins - was also an internet joke and he was originally deemed to obscure
Dak - barely had speaking lines and was killed nearly right after being introduced
Pote Snitkin (blink and you miss him)
Ishi Tibb
Ephant Mon - though the sculpt is phenomenally impressive over ANY other figure
Dannik Jericho

I like all of these figures.

Wilrow Hood (ICMG) did get focused on though - running with his very unique accessory - still subsequently the only proof we have that they do indeed have ice cream in the Star Wars galaxy.

ReeferShark is correct, that I'm not a collector, I'm a diorama maker as is Jedi Master Sal, but I think the number of us doing that, army-building in some way, is even greater than the number of EU fans out there, etc. So yeah, I very much appreciate the chance to have Pote Snitkin pilot one of my skiffs even though I never noticed him before they decided to make the figure. (But I would have noticed him eventually, I'm sure).

Phantom-like Menace
07-12-2006, 12:15 AM
That assumes kids are buying these toys now.

Children--when and if they are buying--are going to buy interesting looking figures, not strictly movie figures. As it stands, just on this one site alone, we have dozens of anti-EU SS who would all but storm the factories in armed resistance to EU figures. Should we blame possible poor sales on children who more or less randomly purchase figures or adults who have made a conscious decision to prevent the stench of EU terror coming down the pipeline?

As it stands, I hated the idea of Darth Revan winning even more than the idea of Bastila winning, but I will purchase one or more of these figures purely because he's EU.

If Hasbro rigged the vote, I can't help but ask why it would have been rigged in favor of EU. Despite the fact that Hasbro has finally caved to the demand for EU presence in our collections, Hasbro still does not have the confidence in EU that it has in movie figures. A rigged Hasbro vote would have largely ignored EU, not placed them in the first two spots. A lack of movie figures shows Hasbro had little or nothing to do with the selection. I can't help but imagine most of the assumption that the vote was rigged stems from the massive EU hatred many people here exhibit.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 12:16 AM
When it comes to EU, why one rather uninteresting member of a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world (though whether working for Cobra Commander, Destro, or Serpentor seems to always be up in the air)? If it was KOTOR, why not the skull-faced dude on the box? He at least looks cool.

But why not Corran Horn? He was the first EU character--or non-major character, for that matter--to have an entire book based on him?

Why not King Terak or Teek? Far more people watched The Battle of Endor than have played KOTOR.

Borsk Fey'la? Skorr? I'm sure everyone would want a Bothan or the bounty hunter from Ord Mantell, just for the movie references.

Darth Revan, the latest male heir to the ancient Clan Destro, just seems an odd choice.

Lord Malakite
07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Darth Revan won, well I'll buy him/her. Its only fair given my tastes in two hobbies has just been merged. :D

I just hope it isn't impossible to find. With the exception of the SOTE toys and the three EU concept vehicles w/ figures the Expanded Universe guys are always the hardest for me to find.

Phantom-like Menace
07-12-2006, 01:06 AM
But why not Corran Horn? He was the first EU character--or non-major character, for that matter--to have an entire book based on him?
Corran Horn was my vote. While I wanted him as a Jedi, I definitely wanted to head pop a pilot version.

Why not King Terak or Teek? Far more people watched The Battle of Endor than have played KOTOR.
I've never watched the Ewok movies. Wilford Brimley can barely sell me on oatmeal let alone a movie full of Ewoks.

Borsk Fey'la? Skorr? I'm sure everyone would want a Bothan or the bounty hunter from Ord Mantell, just for the movie references.

A Bothan would have been nice. I blame Lucas less than Hasbro for our lack of Bothans. Given how much Lucas regurgitated in the prequels, he could have at least given us Bothans.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I actually really want Yarna and Wilrow. Yarna has a decent amount of screen time for a background character, and would be great for Jabba's band dioramas.

Wilrow is cool beyond words. Not that he's an interesting character, as much as it shows the power us fans can have. He's an absolute no body that a fan decided to start promoting. Created a website, started petitions, and doing everything to inform fans about ICMG. Well it worked. Even if he doesn't get made, all of the sudden this nobody is known in the SW community. ICMG might be an annoying figure choice to soem but to me it represents the power us fans can have if we dedicate ourselves to a cause.Exactly. In that sense, he is a true fan's choice.

here have definitely been some surprises in the line as to background characters that were not focused on:

Kitik Keed Kak
Wuher - did have speaking lines though
Porkins - was also an internet joke and he was originally deemed to obscure
Dak - barely had speaking lines and was killed nearly right after being introduced
Pote Snitkin (blink and you miss him)
Ishi Tibb
Ephant Mon - though the sculpt is phenomenally impressive over ANY other figure
Dannik Jericho
I think Kitik, Pote Snitkin, Ishi Tib and Ephant Mon fit into the category I was trying to describe. They are characters you may not notice the first time. Wuher is important to have because he does have some dialogue and you need someone to serve drinks. I never thought of Porkins as too obscure. He was easily identifiable as "the fat X-Wing Pilot", and one of the few pilots that were named. It stood out to me as a kid. Dak also had dialogue and it was directly with Luke as he was Luke's tail gunner. I think his name stood out to me a bit more at the time because it sounded like Zak, Apollo's brother on Battlestar Galactica, which was still fresh in my mind back in 1980. Dannik didn't speak, but you see him in more than one cantina shot, and you see his reaction after the lightsaber altercation

Wilrow Hood (ICMG) did get focused on though - running with his very unique accessory - still subsequently the only proof we have that they do indeed have ice cream in the Star Wars galaxy.After seeing the clip on ICMG website and then going to watch my ESB DVD, he is definitely a "blink and you miss him" character. The website's clip is slowed down to focus on him more. It looks like the guy in front of him might be carrying a skateboard or something.

stad
07-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Aren't the old mini-rigs outside of canon? I don't really hear a lot of griping about them being EU and hatred towards them. There is a serious attitude problem towards EU here, almost as if some feel they need to assert their attitude about EU on others.

Myself, I don't care what you want to believe. It's too blurred a line anyway. Who decides what is canon and what isn't? Probably George Lucas is the only one that can decide that, and I'm sure that has mostly been delegated to other employees (I'm sure he doesn't read every book before approving it). And where will the TV show(s) fall in? Heck, where do the old Droids and Ewok cartoons and Ewok movies fit in?

In any case, I like canon stuff. I also like some EU stuff, so what? It's my opinion, and I don't really give a crap what anyone else thinks about it.

But I'm not going to try to push my opinion on anyone else, either.

EDIT: Oh yeah, before I forget, I haven't seen this anywhere and I keep meaning to spout off about it.

I really don't put any faith into the TV shows. I mean, I hope they are good, and I hope they do good, but I have serious doubts about them, or if we'll even see them at all. They should have had something ready to go this year, and them saying maybe next year, with kid's attention spans the way they are? Heck, not just kids, people (especially us Americans) in general. If it hasn't happened by next summer/fall, I would be surprised if it happens at all.

figrin bran
07-12-2006, 01:21 AM
the skull faced dude on the box is Darth Nihilus and i don't believe for a second that some of you would buy him either!

in fact, this thread would be full of skeletor jokes by now. :p

actually, i'm starting to wonder about you vociferous EU haters. it's almost as if deep down you fear that you might actually *gulp* enjoy some non movie stories here and there and so to quiet that internal dialogue going on, you feel you need to ratchet up your anti EU postings :p :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 07:06 AM
actually, i'm starting to wonder about you vociferous EU haters. it's almost as if deep down you fear that you might actually *gulp* enjoy some non movie stories here and there and so to quiet that internal dialogue going on, you feel you need to ratchet up your anti EU postings :p :D
Nope, that's not the case at all, Figgy. I just don't like it. The few EU stories I enjoy are centered around and focus on "real" characters (i.e. "Shadows of the Empire", the "Tales" books). It's not that I make a concentrated effort to hate the EU, it's just not entertaining for the most part. It seems like they try too hard to relate everything and/or cover up someone else's mistakes(s) or stuff that has been "falsified" by the PT or otherwise. For example:

revan's mask is mandolorian
This can satisfy my theory either way. First, for those who still believe in Boba Fett's original backstory or the "fact" that Fett had anything to do with the Mandalorians, Revan is now "tied" to Boba Fett somehow. Secondly, for those that believe that Fett never had anything to do with the Mandaloriians, this is a good way for them to continue using the name and not have all EU stories/tales prior to this be rendered obsolete. They'll just cook up a story about how it was a son of Revan or something.

dindae
07-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Seeing as I am not in control of anything Hasbro does I don't know how I can. I will buy the figures they offer and if they do sell poorly for whatever reason and they stop offering up EU figures again then I will be glad I got the ones that I did. But if you feel that you have to blame someone for poor sales of feel free. Heck go ahead and hit me up for all of those poor Nemodians that rotted on the shelves I wanted those. I also want Mon Mothma from E3, Luminara, and almost every vehicle in the modern line.

Rogue II
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
the skull faced dude on the box is Darth Nihilus and i don't believe for a second that some of you would buy him either!

I haven't seen this skull faced dude. Where is it?

in fact, this thread would be full of skeletor jokes by now. :p

Is that a dare? I'm sure I can find a He-Man fan page just like I found a GI Joe page.:thumbsup:

figrin bran
07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Rogue II, do you really expect me to throw fuel into the fire like that? you go do your own dirty work. ;)

Rogue II
07-12-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll take that dare.

I give you the guy on the KOTOR2 box (http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0761549501.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1108553621_.jpg)a s Skeletor (http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/cmotu/index-cmotu.jpg). Gotta love that POTF2 Luke looking character with the sword. I just don't remember Luke wearing speedos.

Rogue II
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Would Darth Revan fly the Night Raven (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/nightraven/)? (now that was a decent sized vehicle, don't you miss those days?)

While they are at it, the Fire Speeder Pilot could be re-painted as the Strato-Viper (http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/stratoviper.shtml).

Vortex
07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
ICMG...what a joke.

The whole voting thing was a joke too. We have no way of knowing if it was honest or a set up. Maybe the powers that be at hasbro said...look here's our tentative list...make one the winner and shoot for this one. We'll kit bash it off the royal guards since the mask is darn near close and if the new Kir figs don't sell well, we'll tweek it and rename it.

There's no way I would have bought the ICMG or Yarna. Two absolutly lame-o figs. ICMG was started as something of a joke and I can't believe that we have people screaming for ice cream and who have actually convinced themselved they want or need that figure for whatever reason. Drab outfit, nothing special except for a white container... talk about steaming dropping, even if its not the 1st flop hasbro has made.

I'm amazed hasbro even listens to us anymore or gives us options. We want all this stuff and figs and when we finally get certain things all we do is moan about cost, scale, paint, pose, weapons, etc. We as collectors have left shops and exclusives geared for us rot on the pegs and have turned off big retailers from actually wanting to sell us exclusives. I'm amazed they even give us a voice anymore.

The only way I'd buy that figure is if it came with a quart of blue ice cream made from the blue milk Luke drank.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
And I truly believe that IF Yarna or Wilrow had won...JT's fears of the winning figure hurting the line would have been even more founded.

JT - Would you have asked that same question of the canon "sloberers" if that had been the case?No, because my question was about "all these EU figures next year", 1 figure by itself is not going to be of primary responsibility for tanking the whole line.

And since Star Wars canon is the main crux of the line, we're all "slobberers" of it. :p

Exactly how do we "own" it? If they make the EU figures and the people that wanted EU figures buy them, you can't blame them if the line doesn't sell well.Keeping in mind that this is a theoretical future we're talking about, one would "own" it by stepping up and saying that their ilk's campaigning for EU figures convinced Hasbro to sidetrack a significant portion of the Star Wars line onto EU product which didn't sell, thus had some effect on killing interest in the overall line.

It seems like if you're not bashing EU, then your an EU-person (or slobberer lol).I'm glad you liked my "slobberer" line, it made me laugh when I thought it up. :D You should really talk to whomever made that claim though - of course, since it's not what *I* said you'll probably have to talk to the first person who made that statement here, which would be... you. :p

I'll ask another question. Now that the films are over, and since the only things coming from now on with the Star Wars name on it will be by definition "Extended Universe"... are you guys pretty much done with Star Wars? Do you intend to follow any future TV shows, books, games or whatever?I'll continue to buy what looks cool to me, what looks Star Wars-y to me. But the more EU product there is that doesn't work for me, the less I'm going to bother tracking down the few pieces I would like.

The thing is, when Ishi Tib, Prune Face and Ephant Mon were released, I didn't know who they were. Many of the aliens in ROTJ just never stood out to me as much, partly because they were mostly just background characters that were hard to notice. In ANH, the cantina scene made a point to focus on the various aliens in there. There are still several from the cantina that I would rather see than from ROTJ. That doesn't mean that I don't want those characters, but I'd rather have characters that spoke or were featured in some other way.That's how I've always felt about the ROTJ aliens vs the ANH aliens. However, for me it's not true of the prequel aliens even when they did get featured, too cartoony or something I guess.

I've never watched the Ewok movies. Wilford Brimley can barely sell me on oatmeal let alone a movie full of Ewoks.They're very very bad, like "black plague" bad. I think Wilford Brimley sells diabetes now. :p

Seeing as I am not in control of anything Hasbro does I don't know how I can.Any EU fan who campaigns for this sort of thing and sways Hasbro's decision, that's the ones who I'm saying have some influence in the matter.

So, as it stands now...

OWNERS: 1

PASSERS OF THE BUCK: 7

jjreason
07-12-2006, 04:30 PM
While they are at it, the Fire Speeder Pilot could be re-painted as the Strato-Viper (http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/stratoviper.shtml).

Man, he is SO JOE, it's scary! My first thought upon seeing the whole figure was "Barbecue" - not because he stirred my apetite, but because of his uncanny resemblance to the Joe Team's hatchet-sportin' hosedragger.

stad
07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
No, because my question was about "all these EU figures next year", 1 figure by itself is not going to be of primary responsibility for tanking the whole line.

And since Star Wars canon is the main crux of the line, we're all "slobberers" of it. :p

Keeping in mind that this is a theoretical future we're talking about, one would "own" it by stepping up and saying that their ilk's campaigning for EU figures convinced Hasbro to sidetrack a significant portion of the Star Wars line onto EU product which didn't sell, thus had some effect on killing interest in the overall line.

Any EU fan who campaigns for this sort of thing and sways Hasbro's decision, that's the ones who I'm saying have some influence in the matter.

So, as it stands now...

OWNERS: 1

PASSERS OF THE BUCK: 7

WOW!!:rolleyes: That's a lot of crying just because your figure didn't win a poll!! Trying to blame Hasbro's making of EU figures, now that's passing the buck! The announcement of the EU two-packs came out before this poll was ever finished. It's obvious Hasbro was going to go with these figures anyway, since they have the Kir Kanos pack all ready, and more slated to come, regardless if this poll would have only had "movie" figures receive votes. It's kind of ridiculous to blame Hasbro's decisions, and their anticipated failure, on some of the people who will actually support them, or just want/like something different. Trying to blame the eventual demise of the line on somebody just because they like things you don't is pretty arrogant and ridiculous.

I like the movie figures as much as anyone, and while I would like a Yarna, I would sure be disappointed with a plastic hunk of peg-warming garbage that ICMG would be. I would buy one, sure, but I know a lot of people that wouldn't, and I imagine it couldn't be too attractive sitting on the pegs either. I could be wrong, it is just my opinion.

As far as the polls go, there's really no telling. Rigged, multiple votes, whatever. Well, the multiple votes I think kind of works itself out. There's probably about the same number of people without lives voting multiple times for ICMG, Yarna, Jaina Solo, and Darth Revan and everyone else. But being rigged? Sure, why not? Heck, your votes might not go to anything, just a tabulation of how many people visit the site, if even that, with the winner, second place, etc., all pre-determined. There's really no telling, and I wouldn't put much anything past Hasbro and their PR dept.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 06:08 PM
AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! You said the WORD OF THE DAY!! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=483061&postcount=10)

Seriously, I'm all for EU figures, but to me it makes sense to get the big guns out of the way first, rather than start by scraping the bottom of the barrel, for two reasons. First, if the line goes belly-up, wouldn't you rather have Corran, Teek, or Saessee Tiin in Clonetrooper armor than Mace Towani, Thok, or Darth Iron Grenadier? Second, and conversely, EU figures with more appeal than these Viper wannabes will sell better, and keep the line afloat for a longer period.

For the rumored and confirmed EU figures for next year, Kir Kanos and Quinlan Vos are excellent choices. We've all been begging for them for years. They look cool enough for non-EU fans to be tempted. And, since they're doing two-packs, Villie and Carnor Jax are logical companions, and not much further down the totem pole as far as the overall theoretical "wish list" goes.

But this Crimson Guard wannabe, well, he's not as well-known, and he looks more boring than a reading from Paradise Regained by Slicker's mom.

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I always thought the Fire Speeder pilot looked like Lamprey (http://www.jrxtoys.de/images/gfg/jesper_gfg_JRX/toys/gi-joe/vehicles/1985/LAMPREY_1.jpg), the guy who came with the Cobra Hydrofoil.

Kidhuman
07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
If they release Darth Revan(AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!) a second time, can we call him Darth Revamp?

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
WOW!!:rolleyes: That's a lot of crying just because your figure didn't win a poll!! MY figure??? What are you talking about, I didn't even VOTE!!!

Trying to blame Hasbro's making of EU figures, now that's passing the buck! The announcement of the EU two-packs came out before this poll was ever finished. It's obvious Hasbro was going to go with these figures anyway, since they have the Kir Kanos pack all ready, and more slated to come, regardless if this poll would have only had "movie" figures receive votes.I am not trying to pass any buck about who is to blame for Hasbro making EU figures, I know it's Hasbro and the EU fans with their constant begging... TYCHO! ;) And I believe the news of all these EU figs came out before the final tally of who won the poll, but after the poll was finished. And it's not that hard to mockup Kir Kanos, he's a body they already have with a new head, 2 new accessories, and some new cloth.

It's kind of ridiculous to blame Hasbro's decisions, and their anticipated failure, on some of the people who will actually support them, or just want/like something different. Trying to blame the eventual demise of the line on somebody just because they like things you don't is pretty arrogant and ridiculous.I didn't say it will fail, I said that if it does fail because of this EU addition, EU fans either will or won't own up to their part of it - as a vocal minority of fandom overall they've pushed and pushed for Hasbro to make this stuff and now that Hasbro is doing what they want next year, it could blow up in not just EU fans' faces, but all collectors' faces.

stad
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I am not trying to pass any buck about who is to blame for Hasbro making EU figures, I know it's Hasbro and the EU fans with their constant begging... TYCHO! ;) And I believe the news of all these EU figs came out before the final tally of who won the poll, but after the poll was finished. And it's not that hard to mockup Kir Kanos, he's a body they already have with a new head, 2 new accessories, and some new cloth.

First off, my response earlier came off as being aimed directly at you, and I really didn't mean that, although you were in the crosshairs as well.

Anyways, I gotta disagree with you. It's not Hasbro and the EU fans with their constant begging, it is Hasbro alone, plain and simple. Hasbro does not care what collectors are asking, begging, or screaming for, or we'd have playsets, and ones that were half-way decent. Ask any G.I. Joe collector about Hasbro's attitude towards collectors. They spout what they claim their market research indicates, and it doesn't matter what kind of proof you could show them otherwise, they don't care.

And yes, the announcement about all of these other EU packs coming out came out after the poll was over. However, the Kir Kanos pack was announced before it was over, and has been rumored since before the poll even began. Since Hasbro themselves say they usually work about a year in advance, I think this direction has been in the works for some time.

figrin bran
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
JT, add me to the list of "owners".

Reefer Shark
07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! You said the WORD OF THE DAY!! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=483061&postcount=10)

Seriously, I'm all for EU figures, but to me it makes sense to get the big guns out of the way first, rather than start by scraping the bottom of the barrel, for two reasons. First, if the line goes belly-up, wouldn't you rather have Corran, Teek, or Saessee Tiin in Clonetrooper armor than Mace Towani, Thok, or Darth Iron Grenadier? Second, and conversely, EU figures with more appeal than these Viper wannabes will sell better, and keep the line afloat for a longer period.

For the rumored and confirmed EU figures for next year, Kir Kanos and Quinlan Vos are excellent choices. We've all been begging for them for years. They look cool enough for non-EU fans to be tempted. And, since they're doing two-packs, Villie and Carnor Jax are logical companions, and not much further down the totem pole as far as the overall theoretical "wish list" goes.

But this Crimson Guard wannabe, well, he's not as well-known, and he looks more boring than a reading from Paradise Regained by Slicker's mom.

I gotta agree with Chux here. If they're gonna do EU, make 'em prominent figures. The two packs are great choices. I didn't finish KOTOR, so I didn't even know who Revan was before this thread. I'll reserve judgment on the figure until we see some pics of it though... :smoker:

Saessee Tiin in Clone Armor would have been awesome. Who knows, maybe someday.

timmae
07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
make them all exclusives. unless they are cool as scorch, i will not buy anyway.

stad
07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I gotta agree with Chux here. If they're gonna do EU, make 'em prominent figures. The two packs are great choices. I didn't finish KOTOR, so I didn't even know who Revan was before this thread. I'll reserve judgment on the figure until we see some pics of it though... :smoker:

Saessee Tiin in Clone Armor would have been awesome. Who knows, maybe someday.

Yeah, I agree with this too, I meant to mention it in one of my rants above. I don't have a problem with doing EU figures, but they really should worry about more prominent ones first. I'm sure it's partly bias since I haven't played the game, but there are many EU figures I would want before Darth Revan.

And sorry guys, I still don't see it. I say he looks more like a Royal Guard than any Cobra figure. Having a similar eye slit on the face mask to a Crimson Guard isn't enough for me to make the connection, the face mask itself overall is still more like Royal Guard.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I gotta agree with Chux here. If they're gonna do EU, make 'em prominent figures. The two packs are great choices. I didn't finish KOTOR, so I didn't even know who Revan was before this thread.I'd say these choices are fairly prominent. KOTOR was a huge success and was game of the year in many polls, so having a figure from it makes sense. However, I do think prominent characters like Corran Horn and the Solo children should be made someday.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 11:21 PM
And sorry guys, I still don't see it. I say he looks more like a Royal Guard than any Cobra figure. Having a similar eye slit on the face mask to a Crimson Guard isn't enough for me to make the connection, the face mask itself overall is still more like Royal Guard.

Your implication being that a Royal Guard doesn't look like he'd be at home chilling with Dr Mindbender and Croc Master?

And you can't tell me he doesn't look like this Viper (http://yojoe.com/action/05/viper13.shtml) with a cloak and lightsaber.

stad
07-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Your implication being that a Royal Guard doesn't look like he'd be at home chilling with Dr Mindbender and Croc Master?

And you can't tell me he doesn't look like this Viper (http://yojoe.com/action/05/viper13.shtml) with a cloak and lightsaber.

Well, I'd say the Crimson Guard is more of a ripoff of the Royal Guard, since they've been around longer.

Maybe I haven't seen the same pics of Darth Revan as you have, but yeah, I can say he doesn't look like a Cobra Viper, old one or the new one. If anything, I'd say he's more of a ripoff of the Imperial Sentinel (I think) from a few years ago. Of course, I haven't really looked at that in years either, so I might be way off. But I honestly think one person made a crack about it being a Cobra ripoff, and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. There's certain parts I can see that are similar to certain figures, but just as many to Star Wars figures as well. I just don't get that feel from an overall look that it looks like any Cobra.

plasticfetish
07-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I'll continue to buy what looks cool to me, what looks Star Wars-y to me. But the more EU product there is that doesn't work for me, the less I'm going to bother tracking down the few pieces I would like.So, it all boils down to what you think looks "Star Wars-y" from now on? That's based on what standard? The OT?

But the question was, and I'll rephrase it...

If everything coming from now on is, by definition "Extended Universe"... are you guys done with Star Wars? Do you intend to follow any future TV shows, books, games, etc. or will you reject them because they're EU?Now JT, I suppose your answer is pretty much that it all depends on the show, book, game, etc., but I'd like to hear what those people really harping on the EU have to say.

Rogue II
07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
From a cut-scene of the animated Clone Wars...

Obi-Wan in drag as Snowbunny Padme! (http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/snowjob.shtml)

Banthaholic
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
From a cut-scene of the animated Clone Wars...

Obi-Wan in drag as Snowbunny Padme! (http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/snowjob.shtml)
Just the name alone of that GI-Joe character makes me laugh

JediTricks
07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Anyways, I gotta disagree with you. It's not Hasbro and the EU fans with their constant begging, it is Hasbro alone, plain and simple. Hasbro does not care what collectors are asking, begging, or screaming for, or we'd have playsets, and ones that were half-way decent.Well, that's why I called it "passing the buck", the EU is currently not riding high the way it was a decade ago, yet for years I've seen a lot of very vocal EU fans demanding Hasbro make more EU product. Which reason seems more likely as to why Hasbro would focus on the EU this upcoming year, because it's in a slump or because they've been led to think there's a lot of fans who will buy the product?

And yes, the announcement about all of these other EU packs coming out came out after the poll was over. However, the Kir Kanos pack was announced before it was over, and has been rumored since before the poll even began. Since Hasbro themselves say they usually work about a year in advance, I think this direction has been in the works for some time.Ok, that's Kir, what about the others? They're not coming out this September, and they won't have recycled bodies and weapons.

JT, add me to the list of "owners".Wow, ok, let's hope you won't have to then. :D

"That's two!"

(... anybody gonna say "I'm with you too!", anybody? ;))

So, it all boils down to what you think looks "Star Wars-y" from now on? That's based on what standard? The OT?No, the JT. :D

Phantom-like Menace
07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Wasn't any argument that the EU doesn't fit in with Star Wars made moot when half of the characters and situations in the prequel trilogy didn't fit in with Star Wars? Point to any character from the Expanded Universe--any character--and that character could have been put in the prequels and been some hardcore EU hating group's Fans' Choice Poll darling.

I'll accept that a very small number of people feel that many of the EU characters don't fit in with Star Wars, but they had better not be purchasing podracers or Jar-Jar, or Dexter, Dexter's Rosie the Robot waitress, or several other characters that do not fit in the movies but are accepted because they were put there anyway. I cannot accept that anyone truly objectively feels no EU fits in.

And I will happily be put on a list of people who are passing the buck. Movie figures would have to be selling much better than they are for me to believe EU figures can't pegwarm. Plus, anyone who points to better sales of movie figures can share part of their victory with us EU fans, because while most of you are exaggeratedly dry-heaving in the aisles because some figure wasn't in the OT or the lackluster PT, we're buying both.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
They're not coming out this September, and they won't have recycled bodies and weapons.

We hope.

Labria can be retooled to make Villie if Hasbro stays cheap.
Any Jedi can be redone and toted as Quinlan - sure make a headsculpt

A female Jedi like Adi Gallia with a slightly altered Leia or Padme head: Jaina Solo
Luke Bespin or a standard Jedi body: Jacen Solo
TPM Obi-Wan altered: Anakin Solo

The Yuuzhan Vong (if we get them) will be a completely new figure.
If Jaina is made in her Rogue Squadron uniform, she'll be a new sculpt.

There are a few. But I can't even tell who Sora Bulq was kitbashed from. A Qui-Gon Jinn or Plo Koon body would be my first guess. It doesn't really matter if a Jedi figure comes out with a new wrinkle in their robe. They can kitbash if they'd like. It saves me the trouble of buying multiple figures to customize with.

dindae
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, that's why I called it "passing the buck", the EU is currently not riding high the way it was a decade ago, yet for years I've seen a lot of very vocal EU fans demanding Hasbro make more EU product.
A decade ago when the SOTE warmed the pegs? I know a couple of books and comics sold well. But that's because there was such a long drought in the SW universe and the EU stuff from the 70's and 80's was just bad. Now we have 4 ongoing comic lines, 2 book series, 2 upcoming TV series, and several successful non movie video games. I'm not saying it's a cash cow but 10 years ago was not a high.

Rogue II
07-13-2006, 04:56 PM
One of these things just doesn't belong here,
One of these things just isn't the same.
Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?
Now it's time to play our game, time to play our game

The Answer? The purple one. Why? Because he's purple, silly.

jjreason
07-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Awesome. Every home should have a purple action figure of some sort.

Rogue II
07-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Awesome. Every home should have a purple action figure of some sort.
Yes, he is some sort of a purple helmeted warrior.

jjreason
07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Purple Action Figures I'm Proud To Own:

Marvel Legends Green Goblin (hey, he's at least 25% purple!!!)
Marvel Legends Magneto (ditto)
Marvel Legends Galactus Build-a-Figure (really big, and quite purple)
SW POTJ Sneak Preview Collection Zam Wessel
SW Saga Collection Zam Wessel

and I'm spent. Any other big purple figs running around out there?

El Chuxter
07-13-2006, 05:42 PM
12" Zam Wessel

Secret Wars Kang

Uhh.... I know there were some more Joes. I think the Ninja Force resculpt of Snake Eyes used a good deal of purple.

stad
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
One of these things just doesn't belong here,
One of these things just isn't the same.
Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?
Now it's time to play our game, time to play our game

The Answer? The purple one. Why? Because he's purple, silly.

Doing a side by side pic really does not strengthen your argument. There is not one Joe figure there that Revan really looks similar too. In the close ups I've seen, his whole mask doesn't even look similar to any Cobras, only the eye slit. Which is the same as the Royal Guard. I still say it's a ripoff of Imperial Sentinel, especially when you take the overall look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-POTF2-Expanded-Universe-Imperial-Sentinel_W0QQitemZ220004997941QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4 9013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

plasticfetish
07-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Any other big purple figs running around out there?See below...

Rogue II
07-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Ok, now we have fodder for a new Evolutions pack:

stad
07-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Ok, now we have fodder for a new Evolutions pack:

Now I can understand that!!

Still, it would be perfect if you switched out the pic of the Crimson Guard with Emperors Royal Guard. Then it would be a dead on Evolutions pack!

jjreason
07-13-2006, 08:27 PM
See below...

Bloody hell, he's as purple as all getout!!!! Talk about "Must Haves"....

figrin bran
07-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Yo Rogue, open mic at the comedy club is over already!

and the only reason the EU fanmen/women are laughing is because Revan lived millenia before the PT and so your evolution timeline is incorrect. ;)

Kidhuman
07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Wow, Rogue 2, you are on a roll. I have put on depends when I read this thread.

Phantom-like Menace
07-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Joker wears a lot of purple sometimes.
Hulk wear [sic] purple pants!

Purple Action Figures I'm Proud To Own:

Marvel Legends Green Goblin (hey, he's at least 25% purple!!!)
Marvel Legends Magneto (ditto)
Marvel Legends Galactus Build-a-Figure (really big, and quite purple)
SW POTJ Sneak Preview Collection Zam Wessel
SW Saga Collection Zam Wessel

and I'm spent. Any other big purple figs running around out there?

CaptainSolo1138
07-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Hulk wear [sic] purple pants!Much to the chagrin of Hulk's Little Green Man, I'm sure.

There was a purple repaint of one of the Neon Genesis Evangeline figures (I think it was EVA 01).
Skeletor was mostly purpleish.
Baxter Stockman, Scum Bug, and Mondo Gecko from the original TMNT line had alot of purple on them. And Krang's Mobile Suit had purple legs and feet.

Rogue II
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
and the only reason the EU fanmen/women are laughing is because Revan lived millenia before the PT and so your evolution timeline is incorrect.

That's ok. I laughing because the EU fanboys are taking my posts seriously. :D

Wow, Rogue 2, you are on a roll. I have put on depends when I read this thread.

Thanks. My favorite was Snow Job as Snow Bunny Padme.:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Utterly pathetic if it's true. Just goes to show that fanboys are taking over and ruining the hobby.:rolleyes:

So does this mean you are not a fan ?????? Regardless of whether or not you like EU or not we are all fanboys. That is what this poll was all about, hence the title "Fan's Choice"

Slicker
07-15-2006, 01:26 PM
My definition of "fanboys" are those that started to collect with the prequels and because of EU. I realize that it's not they're fault but such a small percentage of fans shoudln't have that much of an effect.

Could it be that the EU characters won out because us older fans just don't see the point in voting over and over and over for the same character while the "fanboys", who are younger, have no qualms about doing it?

DarkArtist
07-15-2006, 02:37 PM
My definition of "fanboys" are those that started to collect with the prequels and because of EU. I realize that it's not they're fault but such a small percentage of fans shoudln't have that much of an effect.

Could it be that the EU characters won out because us older fans just don't see the point in voting over and over and over for the same character while the "fanboys", who are younger, have no qualms about doing it?

Sorry but I have to disagree. i have been collecting since 1978 when Kenner released the original line. EU is a larger population then perhaps many think. As far as voting multiple times in a row, hey the option was there but my vote when for Jedi Knight Kyle Katarn.

I realize that most of the fans here wanted Yarna to win but it's like I have said in many of my posts,
1.) she is not a character that will fly off the shelves, most likely peg warm
2.) kids, and let's face it that's what the toys are designed for,are not going to want a yarna figure.
3.) this is why Hasbro could benefit from having a direct online fan club so fans could buy a Yarna figure and not have her peg warming.

figrin bran
07-15-2006, 06:03 PM
darnit! i started collecting when POTF2 was launched and so i missed the cut for Slicker's fanboy definition ;)

i see Garindan and Hem Dazon warming the pegs at my local WM. as great figures as they are and mos eisley cantina aliens at that, they just don't seem to appeal to everyone and not that i'm suggesting Revan will fly off the shelves (unless it's a 1 per case) but if hem and garindan warm the pegs, wouldn't yarna as well?

here's one more purple figure to add to the mix: Justice League Animated Lex Luthor

Slicker
07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
darnit! i started collecting when POTF2 was launched and so i missed the cut for Slicker's fanboy definition ;) I knew I'd catch flak for that comment.;)

figrin bran
07-15-2006, 06:33 PM
so would these so called "fanboys" be able to tell you about arconas and salt addiction and yellow eyes? :p

Slicker
07-15-2006, 06:34 PM
DAMN YOU FB!!!
so would these so called "fanboys" be able to tell you about arconas and salt addiction and yellow eyes? :p
I shall answer that with this:

I knew I'd catch flak for that comment.;)

Droid
07-15-2006, 08:26 PM
i see Garindan and Hem Dazon warming the pegs at my local WM. as great figures as they are and mos eisley cantina aliens at that, they just don't seem to appeal to everyone and not that i'm suggesting Revan will fly off the shelves (unless it's a 1 per case) but if hem and garindan warm the pegs, wouldn't yarna as well?

It's funny how any one of us could probably use a store in our area to support our position. My Walmart ONLY has figures that are resculpts of figures made in the past: Han, Vader, Hammerhead, Garindan, and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Hem is nowhere in sight. There are two Lushors Dofines, and this is his first time being made, so there you go.

Rogue II
07-15-2006, 08:54 PM
3.) this is why Hasbro could benefit from having a direct online fan club so fans could buy a Yarna figure and not have her peg warming.

That works for me. I think it was even mentioned in the Dear Hasbro Yarna thread.

Tycho
07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
It's also interesting because when Kidhuman and I made our Most-Wanted-and-Never-Made-Before lists for Hasbro with a lot of you all voting, Hem Dazon (IIRC) turned out to be in the Top 10 of both lists, which were generated by two different survey methods.

By and large, Hem was one of the most demanded figures out there.

The Star Wars Insider did a poll some years back saying that the figure voted on (like Toy Fair's poll) would get made. Hem Dazon won that one, too.

We had 2-3 at my Wal-Mart the last time I looked. That's not bad. That's called "in Stock." Lushros and Holo-Mundi are better described as pegwarming because there are nearly 12-20 of each of them.

It's figures like Cody and the Utopau Clone which are never there that are sell-outs. They may be popular figures, but that too creates a problem as you won't find them on the racks.

Good in-store market research by Hasbro would suggest that for figures like Cody, they keep him in production and add 1 of him to every case that ships (Endor, Naboo, etc). When he stops disappearing off the racks and starts to pegwarm, THEN you pull him from production or relegate him to shopstarwars.com or whatever it's called.

In fact, a few of the cases shipped earlier this year could have lent us those cases:

Leia Boussh should not have stopped shipping
Boba Fett should still ship
Chewbacca could still ship
General Veers could still ship
AT-AT Driver could still ship
Snowtrooper could still ship
Yoda could still ship
Jango Fett could still ship
Scorch could still ship
Firespeeder Pilot could still ship
Cody could still ship
Anakin Skywalker could still ship

There's a case that would sell, right there.

Case repack 2 might be:

Utopau Clone
Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Grieous
Momaw Nadon
R5D4
Hem Dazon
Garindan
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Sandtrooper
Darth Vader
Cody

They can run with these until they are ready to ship Endor.

3 Chirpas
3 Death Star Gunners
2 Emperors
2 Jerjerrods
2 C-3POs

Then they can do TPM as:

2 Luke Endors
2 Pod Racer 2-packs
2 Vader Emperor Wraths
1 Endor Soldier
1 TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 Darth Maul Holo
1 Rep Been
1 Naboo Soldier
1 Gragga

Finally, they can make the last saga case assortment:

2 Luke Endors
1 Pod Racer 2-packs
1 Vader Emperor Wraths
1 Endor Soldier
1 TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi
1 Darth Maul Holo
1 Rep Been
1 Naboo Soldier
1 Gragga
1 Chirpa
1 Emperor
1 Death Star Gunner

Maybe take a couple fools out of here and add in Jerjerrod and C-3PO? It's difficult to pick what might pegwarm with several of the less popular figures already being 1 per case in the previous case (Rep Been for example)

DarkArtist
07-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I knew I'd catch flak for that comment.;)

Hey Slicker,

I just want you to know that I am not attacking you personally or anything like that I just feel that your opinion defers from mine, which is fine since that's what this hobby is all about. Everyone is allowed to have different opinions.

Slicker
07-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Slicker,

I just want you to know that I am not attacking you personally or anything like that I just feel that your opinion defers from mine, which is fine since that's what this hobby is all about. Everyone is allowed to have different opinions.Totally understandable. That's what forums are for is to have differing opinions to discuss. If we all thought the same we'd be called RS.;)

Jargo
07-16-2006, 02:19 PM
It's all about how you package the product. Obviously as a single carded figure Yarna would probably sell like malakili. So instead, hasbro does a new palace denizens pack and shoves a couple of other figures in with her. Perhaps a re-release of saelt marae and a modified Zutton body with an ugnaught head to give us Yoxgit. (I'm only using those as examples not suggesting that's a good combo) So by putting out a re-release and another semi new character along with an absolutely never been made before character it's more likely to sell. Or hasbro shortpacks yarna and creates a false sense of rarity and sends her fans rushing to get hold of one and pushing up her value on the after market.

JediTricks
07-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Shortpack is the way to go, even a Jar Jar figure became a rare, sought-after figure when it was shortpacked (Swimming Jar Jar from the end of the Ep 1 line, back when regular Jar Jars were choking the pegs), shortpack for a bunch of waves, then go to 2 per case for a single case you know would be doing well without it and that case will become a super-case.

They should shortpack all the weirdos really, all the 3rd-stringers and background aliens, let the interest build and then if there's demand, release the hounds. Instead they're so afraid stores won't stick with the product that they take guesses on stuff that turns out to bomb while hotter figures end up 1-per-case.

plasticfetish
07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
(From www.4-inches.de (http://www.4-inches.de/inhalt/news.htm)) More purple figures...

Jargo
07-17-2006, 07:45 AM
The cantina trio bar packs were a good idea. though the characters picked weren't, aside from kitik kedd'kak. I can't see a reason why jabba's palace trio packs wouldn't work. Instead of the bar sections you get stools and tables and for the MOC/MIB collectors you add a printed diorama front that looks like a throne room alcove. or in the case of the band the two drummers and the drums would make an impressive set. both drummers posed in mid thump.

the concepts on these sorts of set are sound but the execution is always sorely lacking. the above battle pack is a prime example of how to pack a set badly in poorly designed packaging. what IS that big rock blob thing doing there? the weird die cut of the box is dreadful. Why is Mace levitating? it's just bad bad bad.
I can see why hasbro has outsourced the design work but did they have to outsource to Chimpanzees?

I know I diss hasbro a lot, and sometimes even i think i've gone too far but when the obvious stares you in the eye and you then plainly ignore it and go some bizarre route instead it does make one wonder about the sanity of those who commision and then approve such bad work.

Droid
07-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Ya, a Jabba figure with Jabb's palace accessories is a great idea. Pack in a mountedTauntaun head. Little tables. Maybe the stuff behind Jabba's dais.

How about Jabba's dais (without Jabba) with a Leia that can recline on the throne, a couple pillows, and an articulated Salacious Crumb?

How about a Gamorrean with a force pike that can be held with both hands?

The drummers with their drum is a good idea.

Why not the panel that Han's carbonite block hangs on with a repack of the Carbonite block and Leia as Boushh? (I hate repacks, but I'm trying to think like Hasbro.)