PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse Comics' DARK TIMES - the rise of the Imperial Era

Tycho
07-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Dude, I just read SirSteve's post about this and this comic with Palpatine, Vader, and the last of the Jedi dying sounds very cool.

Dominic Guglieme
07-07-2006, 06:17 PM
It might just turn into a Highlander style countdown though. I liked Purge, but the idea is not strong enough to carry a whole series.

Who is writing it?

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 06:40 PM
It could be, if it's handled better than Purge was. The writing on that was a bit. . . lacking.

Dominic Guglieme
07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I do not understand the complaints about Purge. It is a good illustration of obsession, obedience, and how the Emperorm usese those to manipulate Vader. (Think aobut it. The Emperor tells Vader to calm down, as a means os making him more of a Sith.)

El Chuxter
07-10-2006, 05:40 PM
You don't feel sympathy for any of the Jedi, even the previously established Bultar Swan. I can't consider a book like this to be well-written unless both the heroes and villains are fleshed out.

Dominic Guglieme
07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
The Jedi are not the point of the story though. Stories do not exist for the characters. Characters exist for a premise. Focusing on characters, leads to fan-wank. Fan-wank leads to the dark-side.

Banthaholic
07-17-2006, 07:20 PM
This is the story I wish one of the movies of the PT was about. It's what I'm interested in reading about, and hoping some of the tv show will be about.

Sounds like a good series. Makes me wonder if Legacy or KOTOR are ending, Dark Times is only a temp line, or they'll tell 3 ongoing series.

Tycho
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
This is the story I wish one of the movies of the PT was about. It's what I'm interested in reading about, and hoping some of the tv show will be about.

Sounds like a good series. Makes me wonder if Legacy or KOTOR are ending, Dark Times is only a temp line, or they'll tell 3 ongoing series.

I'll be asking that and reporting the answers each day after Comic Con. We'll have Dark Horse's Star Wars news covered for sure!

I wished Rogue Leader wasn't such a short run.

Oh - KOTOR has solicited for up to issue 10 even, so it will be continuing.
Legacy will also be an on-going title.

Dark Times is anyone's guess until Comic Con.

Reefer Shark
07-18-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm looking forward to Dark Times, and Legacy has me much more interested after I read the 2nd issue.

KOTOR however, I'm losing interest in that one. I'll give it a few more issues....

Tycho
11-10-2006, 09:47 PM
The first issue of Dark Times came out on Wednesday and it is really good.

I think it clarrifies what was going on in the galaxy as the Emperor ascended to power. Believe it or not - there were not enough stormtroopers to keep the order (and a lot less Jedi used to?) That needs to be explained a little more. There were between 10,000 and 20,000 Jedi in the galaxy in total. But there were 1.6 million clones developed or being developed during AOTC. We know there was to be much more. (3 million Americans fought in WWI for comparison - and that's just one planet!)

Meanwhile, there are 4 on-going Star Wars series:

4,000 years before Yavin - Knights of the Old Republic - set 30 years before the video game

19 years before Yavin - Dark Times - set immediately after ROTS

Immediately after Yavin and then on - Rebellion - before ESB

150 years after ROTJ or so, Legacy - after the Dark Nest etc.

Dominic Guglieme
11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Dark Times was better than I expected it to be.

Of course, after the resolution of the Vos arc, I am not setting my expectations too high.

Rocketboy
11-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I wasn't all that impressed.
All it is is part 2 of the crappy story I didn't like near the end of Republic.

Dominic Guglieme
11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Star Wars: Dark Times 1
Better than one might reasonably expect. But, after the debacle that was Quinlan Vos's arc (specifically the ending), fans would be justified in being wary. In any case, this arc flows out of a tail-ender arc from the old Republic series. Provided the heroes do not do much more than scrape by each issue (and even than, not for too long), this series will be worth picking up, if only to fill out a haul. (
Grade: B Wariness of the franchise aside, this series has not done anything objectively wrong, but has done a few things right so far.

Tycho
02-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Did anyone get issue 2 of Dark Times yet? I think my comic shop missed that one for me. I'm not sure though.

Rocketboy
02-16-2007, 01:47 AM
It came out a few weeks ago.
Can't remember any part of it.

Dominic Guglieme
02-16-2007, 02:34 PM
It came out recently, albeit late. It is not bad, but after the hash the Vos arc ended in, I am wary enough to not give this series an un-qualified endoresment.

Banthaholic
02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Did anyone get issue 2 of Dark Times yet? I think my comic shop missed that one for me. I'm not sure though.

It came out 3 weeks ago I belive. I'm looking forward to this series, though I'm expecting like most it'll take a few issues to get going. I actually have to go back and reread the end of Republic to remember the transferred charcters a bit.

Issue 2 was alright. It's already interesting at how they're showing tid bits of Vader related to his decision to join the dark side and the lack of satisfaction he's finding in some ways. It'll be interesting to see where they go with that angle.