PDA

View Full Version : Where is Elis Helrot in ANH?

WhereIsTheDefel
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Since he's arriving in 2007, I thought I'd ask...

Where is Elis Helrot in ANH? I have never been able to spot this guy in the cantina.

Is Elis considered more of an EU character (i.e. Blue Snaggletooth) or can he actually be spotted in the film?

Thanks!

El Chuxter
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
He's in there somewhere. I can't recall if he's barely visible in one of the first shots of the Cantina, or seen walking in the background in an exterior shot.

Slicker
07-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I just threw in ANH and watched the Cantina scene but didn't see him. I recall seeing him in there but I only watched it once though.

Jargo
07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
he sits in the same booth as myo, momaw nadon, muftak, miiyoom onith and feltipern trevag. only off to one side. probably the left of the screen. I've seen a production still. I'll hunt it out if at all possible

Kidhuman
07-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Here is the shot of him from red6 website:

WhereIsTheDefel
07-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Has anyone ever seen him in the final cut of the film though? It's looking like he's a Blue Snaggletooth - supposedly there in the cantina but never seen.

Slicker
07-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I've never seen him in the movie nor is he in the Holiday Special.

I'm sure a couple of people will mistake Trinto Duaba (http://cargobay.starwars.com/games/card/ccg/premiere/trintoduaba.jpg) for Elis Helrot but they look slightly different.

Jargo
07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
That's a Decipher created image. Elis is superimposed on the background. in this image you've got trinto Duaba. to his right is where Elis sits. To Trinto's left is the table around which the characters i listed before sit.

WhereIsTheDefel
07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Interesting that Hasbro would make Elis when it looks like he didn't make the final cut of the film and there are so many other cantina aliens that still need to be made.

In fact the first four aliens that we see in the cantina - Bom Vimdin, Brainiac, the Defel and Trinto Duaba - still need to be made.

Oh well. I'll still buy him even if he is EU. :)

El Chuxter
07-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Actually, the first we see is Hem Dazon. :)

WhereIsTheDefel
07-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Actually the four aliens I listed are shown right before Hem Dazon pops his head up.

Slicker
07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Actually, the first we see is Hem Dazon. :)Ohhhhhhh, burrrrrrrrrn!

he got you good bich!! lol

TheCivilCollector
07-09-2006, 04:02 AM
You see him right before he guts Drew Barrymore like a fish.

http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/pages/movie/SU/Previews/Plans-35435.jpg

2-1B
07-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Exactly, I can't wait to put a Sith robe on him and have my first figure from the Scream Trilogy.

Well, 2nd figure if you count my Gertie from a few years back...

Jargo
07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Apparently Ellis Helrot (or Kull as he was going to be known) was added to the movie during pick up shoots. he should be round about the same table as Feltipern Trevag and Miiyoom Onith when they do that canoodling thing. It's all edited strangely though so characters move around from shot to shot with no real continuity.
in one of the still shots I've seen Ellis has his back to camera so all you see is a fairly bland white head.

I'm actually hoping to draw up a map of where in the cantina all the characters stand or sit. Though i'm loathe to use Decipher cards names for characters, I'll have to for ease of identification.

Droid
07-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm actually hoping to draw up a map of where in the cantina all the characters stand or sit. Though i'm loathe to use Decipher cards names for characters, I'll have to for ease of identification.

I've tried to make a map like that and it isn't easy. They kept shuffling the same aliens back and forth between shots. For instance, it seems that there may be many Nadrun Leids aliens in the cantina, when I suspect they kept just having the costume moved from shot to shot. I don't think they thought anyone would ever study the sequence. I tend to only want more than one of a particular alien in the cantina if they showed more than one in the same shot of the cantina.

Jargo
07-09-2006, 05:57 PM
The modal nodes were only aded in pick up shoots. And yet they represent the cantina in such an iconic way. it's the fact that these split second characters made such an impact when we first saw the movie that makes them all so important.
I'm still finding new faces in the scene after all these years. I'd just like figures of them all so it looks right.

Droid
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I have not found him in ANH, but on youtube I found an old drunk driving campaign commercial from the '70's that shows cantina characters and Elis is one of them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MsSIpDK16c4&search=%22star%20wars%22%20cantina

The commercial is awesome. It shows Hem and Hammerhead whole bodies, standing up. It shows a Duros helping a drunk Muftak, and shows Muftak's full body. Awesome.

Slicker
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
And that commercial also shows that Hasbro was WAAAAYYYY off on Hem's body.

figrin bran
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
thanks for the link. and now it's time to make a more accurate hem custom.

dindae
07-18-2006, 06:45 AM
And that commercial also shows that Hasbro was WAAAAYYYY off on Hem's body.

That is true but I for one am glad that they did. The amorphous carpet blob is not something I'm excited about.

Slicker
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
So then can we count him as yet ANOTHER EU figure due to his inaccurate body?

Jargo
07-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Hmmm, i think i may have found Elis. only think though. it would take someone with the ability to enhance digital images to tell for sure but, as greedo is facing off with Han, in the background you can see a booth, in it facing the camera is a Duro. facing him and with his back to the camera is what I think is Elis.

but the curious thing about the whole set up is that it totally defies the design of the cantina and places a booth where there shouldn't be one. Beyond greedos shoulder and the edge of the booth should be a view or Leesub Sirin and Danz Borin and at the end of the bar a wall.

The whole Tatooine sequence has more continuity errors than a brazillian soap opera. characters move locations, appear and then disappear, change appearance, and even the cantina itself morphs shape and location. but not only that once Ben and Luke leave the cantina it carries on happening all the way through to docking bay 94. Mos Eisley is seriously F'd up.

omnithx
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that's Elis, behind Greedo.