PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to get further delay?

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Saw this on IMDB news today:

Yet Another Delay for Blu-Ray Players, Says Chinese Paper

And the delays keep coming for Sony's Blu-ray high-definition DVD system. China's Commercial Times newspaper is reporting that Sony's production facilities have not been able to meet the demand for the diode that generates the blue laser at the heart of the HD system. Both Sony's own plants and those of Japan's Nichia Corp., the only two suppliers of the diodes, have been plagued by production problems, the newspaper said. The supply problem, it observed, could not only delay production of Blu-ray DVD players for Sony and other manufacturers, but could also delay the release of PlayStation 3 models, now scheduled for November.
The blue-laser diode is what makes both kinds of hi-def DVD formats work, its narrow blue beam can reflect the fine detail of the hi-def DVDs into the reader lens, the red beam of regular DVD players (and the PS2) is too wide to get that finely-packed detail out of the disks. Obviously, that makes it essential to both brands of hi-def DVD players, HDDVD and Blu-Ray. With Sony banking one of their biggest moneymakers, their Playstation game console and its proprietary market, on Blu-Ray, it puts the next-gen console and in fact the whole company at risk if something goes wrong... and clearly, something has gone wrong yet again. This is the Betamax fiasco all over again (Beta was also Sony's doing) except with 2 major markets at risk this time instead of 1 - Sony wants to control the market and to get proprietary monies from others using their technology. I think Sony needs to recognize that they've blown it, bad press plus ridiculous pricing on both Blu-Ray video and the PS3 plus a year's worth of setbacks plus a history of similar massive failures make the situation look pretty grim for the technology giant, they need to get away from a bad hand while there's still hope.

hango fett
07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
thats sad to read, JT. i was looking forward to the PS3. but, i had a feeling something in this nature would happen to one of the companies. looks like sony picked the short straw...
HF

Lord Malakite
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
This late in the game Sony can't afford many setbacks in either market and this is a major setback.:cross-eye

If Sony doesn't bounce back from this delay soon they may have to choose which is more important to them financially (PS3 or Blu-ray DVD players) and then focus all their efforts in that product's release with hopes of making up with a delay of the other product's release for later on. They got their work cut out for them, thats for sure.

JON9000
07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Laser problems... somebody call Chris Knight and Mitch Taylor. Uncle Rico, umm, I mean, Laslow Hollyfeld might be of help, too.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
If Sony is forced to pick a horse, they GOTTA go with the PS3, they're never gonna win the DVD format war at this point but the PS3 is in a class by itself, plus if they ditch the DVD thing they will have a proprietary game format that can't be copied. Naturally they don't give a fart though, they want all that DVD money.

hango fett
07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
that is exactly right, JT. it's sad to say, but money truly does make the world turn. espacially in big a corapartion's eyes. and everyone thought the 360 got rushed....smart move for MS and Nintendo in NOT using technology that still may not be 100% stable. and using dvd players that cost oodles of $$.
HF

jjreason
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm willing to wait, provided they give us a system that's not frought with hangups like the first batch of 360s have proven to be. It's not like I'm sitting here holding my breath waiting for a new deck anyhow, I still have HOURS and HOURS of unplayed games for my PS2 sitting here.

Slicker
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd rather they wait and make it work instead of XBOX 360ing it and rushing it out only to have it be a pice of carp.

Rocketboy
07-13-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm fine waiting for PS3. I was a die-hard Nintendo buyer through the N64 days (I had a PS1 also). I originally skipped Gamecube for the PS2 mainly becuase of the lack of a DVD player and PS2 got better reviews.
I'm a PS fan now and it won't matter too much anyway becuse there's no way I'm spending $500+ on a gaming system.

General_Grievous
07-16-2006, 10:44 AM
The PS3 would have been out by now if Sony hadn't done the stupid Blu Ray crap. Blu Ray as well as HD DVD are useless wastes of money, which is why no one seems to be buying them.

JediTricks
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Microsoft is making an HD-DVD addon for the Xbox 360, due out at the end of this year. My guess is that will make some 360 owners very mad. I swear, it's like Microsoft and Sony are both doing this to give Nintendo's weak Wii a leg up. :p

hango fett
07-16-2006, 07:48 PM
actually, the Wii is doing very good right now, according to GI magizine. and so is microsoft. here is a question and answer thing for the august issue of GI.
"Q: will more development time yield better games with the PS3?"
"A: no. For some reason i am feeling like the Saturn all over again."
but, only time will tell for eveything. but ii am putting my money on the Wii to do the best this holiday season. i know i will be gettin one.
HF

decadentdave
07-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Laser problems... somebody call Chris Knight and Mitch Taylor. Uncle Rico, umm, I mean, Laslow Hollyfeld might be of help, too.

And the trees across the Quad! :D

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
actually, the Wii is doing very good right now, according to GI magizine. and so is microsoft.That seems somewhat difficult to gauge given that the Wii is not released yet.

El Chuxter
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
"Give the Wii a leg up"? My God, JT, that's a good one. You owe yourself a nickel. :p

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
How did I miss that one? I owe myself 3 cents and didn't even realize I was doing it.

El Chuxter
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, duh. I gave you credit for two cents more than you deserved.

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Chalk it up to taxes.

hango fett
07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
That seems somewhat difficult to gauge given that the Wii is not released yet.
i meant to say that it's going over well with developers and third party companies.
HF

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
To me, the only thing that really matters is how the public accepts it... and thanks to Sony and Microsoft's boneheaded moves, the public is gonna have a lot more chances to gauge it. :p

darthvyn
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
And the trees across the Quad! :D

and file it under "H" for toy...

To me, the only thing that really matters is how the public accepts it... and thanks to Sony and Microsoft's boneheaded moves...

par for the course for sony... they are their own worst enemies...

CD copyright protection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_CD_copy_protection_controversy), minidisc, UMD, Blu-Ray, CD+RW (i guess they're still fighting that battle...), memory sticks - all the products they create need their proprietary media to work properly, and it bites them in the *** because it's way more expensive than the alternatives.

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
You forgot the ultimate Sony goof, Betamax.

I love Sony's take on UMD's failure, essentially "since movies didn't sell on UMD, we're gonna put them out on memory stick!" I guess getting mauled by a bear the first time didn't teach them the lesson the first time around, so they're going to take another pic-a-nick basket into Jellystone park.

darthvyn
07-20-2006, 11:41 AM
You forgot the ultimate Sony goof, Betamax.

so did everyone else. (acutally, usually i don't forget it... don't know why i did this time - i go on a sony rant about once every couple of weeks or so...)

I love Sony's take on UMD's failure, essentially "since movies didn't sell on UMD, we're gonna put them out on memory stick!" I guess getting mauled by a bear the first time didn't teach them the lesson the first time around, so they're going to take another pic-a-nick basket into Jellystone park.

not only that - they're lower resolution as well.

"okay, so UMD was a failure. what can we learn from this?"

"put movies on something even worse?"

"fantastic!"

the really annoying part of the whole thing is - sony is (partly) responsible for bringing my favorite super-hero to life on the big screen, so i can't totally hate them.

Patient Zero
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Eh, I'll still be waiting a year or so after release for the price to drop anyway. The amounts that I've been hearing $450-$600 are just not worth it for me.

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Sony the studio is really just Columbia Studios with a big shiny "SONY" name on the front, it's not actually Sony and they deserve no credit for Spidey. :p

Memstick movies poorer quality than UMDs, that's hi-larious! It's like Sony sees a wound on their leg and decides to fix it with sulfuric acid.