PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS - The Real Reason Why Hasbro Stopped Making the Force Files!

Thrawn
01-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Since Hasbro doesn't tell us anything, I came up with some theories on why they stopped making them.

1. Trained monkeys typing them up are on strike.
2. Management forgot why they added them in the first place.
3. Tired of trying to fix that damn typeset pRoBleM.
4. Couldn't find 4 friends for FX-7.
5. Know they can still charge $7 with or without an extra.
6. Stopped caring years ago.
7. Cheaper to use bad screen capture software for cards.
8. Tired of looking stupid over grammatical errors like 'imperal'
9. Phasing everything out. Next wave will come in a ziploc bag, then the next wave will come unpainted, then finally the last wave will have to be built from scratch.

JediTricks
01-25-2002, 09:23 PM
10. Trying to save trees
11. Jealous of Freeze Frames' continued popularity
12. Saving money on shipping costs by lowering the weight
13. They finally found their shame
14. Cheaper to wallpaper their offices with them
15. They're tired of the lies

GNT
01-25-2002, 09:23 PM
:rolleyes:

I belied they stoped beacause the line was ending and there was no need to continue making them

sith_killer_99
01-25-2002, 11:00 PM
That would be like shipping the last 3 waves of Freeze Frames without 35mm slides, or shipping the Sio Bibble wave without CommTech chips.

Hasbro ruined the continuity of the line!!!:mad:

16. Hasbro ran out of ideas for mail away offers, so they are holding the Jedi Force Files for the last 3 waves and will offer them later. We will FINALLY be able to use those Jedi Master Points! Only 500 points per JFF!

Lord Tenebrous
01-25-2002, 11:47 PM
10. Became overly confused with the whole Padme/Sabe thing.
09. Too many 35-year-old collectors mailed in the Jedi Quest card.
08. Long, ugly debate as to whether or not BoShek is Force-sensitive.
07. Rick McCallum came up with some skills for FX-7, but they were too dirty to print.
06. They needed the paper to package 'Unleashed'.
05. Eeth Koth's skills could only be frowning, squatting, and stretching.
04. R4-M9 threatened to sue for libel, because all his information was wrong.
03. The proofreaders went blind from squinting so much.
02. The casual use of 'terrorists' became poor taste.
01. Hasbro realized Zutton was from the Holiday Special

:p

LTBasker
01-26-2002, 12:00 AM
eh? 4 friends for FX-7: 2-1B, General Rieken, Bren Derlin, and Luke Skywalker. Duh. 4 enemies for FX-7: Snowtrooper, Wampa, Probe Droid, Microsoft. :D

??) They ran out of paper to make E2 cards on. :rolleyes:

Tycho
01-26-2002, 01:17 AM
LOL Basker!....Microsoft, :)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-26-2002, 10:04 AM
-1.0 Hasbro had them originally planned for a HUGE Jackie Chan's Adventures line and wanted to test the market.
-2.0 M.A.F.A.R.A.A.F.W.F.N.E. threatened lawsuits if they kept making them. (Mothers and Fathers and Recording Artists Against Action Figures Without Friends Nor Enemies)
-3.0 Cost of plastic tree pulp rising.
-3.1459873987723807264307932 Copyright infringement with TV show "The Forced to X-Out Errors Files."

yaddle yodas love pu
01-26-2002, 09:40 PM
THere's one very simple reason: Hasbro wants to save money and still charge $7 for a small figure. The force file cards probably cost about $.10 to $.20 cents each to make. They will save a lot this way, and most of us dont really care. Personally, I prefer the new figures that dont have the force files because the fromt of the card is less "busy" looking without the ugly lettering that screams out "NOW WITH FORCE FILES!!!!!"

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree with you yaddle yoda loves pu. Hasbro is getting lazy and figures it can still charge a bundle because "Hey, it's SW."

Anyone remember back in 1995 when the new POTF2 line came out and the figures sold for $4.99. They had no extra Commtechs, of FF or whatever. Then the supposed reson the price went up was because of new features on the card (ex. holograms, the FF, which raised the price to $5.99, then Flashback Photos, then the Commtechs which raised it to the now $6.99 a figure.

Well, I never cared for the stupid Commtech chips. They suck and they don't even sound like the film. The quality of the voice chips is cr*p. I would have rather paid $4.99 for them with nothing extra on the package.

Then after the Commtechs came the POTJ w/ the Force files. I hardly doubt those crummy Force Files as an extra demanded $6.99 a figure. Now we still have to pay $6.99 for basically the EXACT same packaging as back in 1995 (for the new POTJ FX-7 wave and R4-M9 wave). Hasbro, you think that this would go unnoticed, but it hasn't. The fans know when they are being ripped off.

As far as the EP II figures staying at $6.99 be cause of the new pack-ins, all I have to say to that it, get rid of them. I just want the figure and not some stupid piece of plastic that bumps the price of the figures up an extra two dollars.

Lets gets back to quality figures at a fair price of $4.99. Plus why should I pay $6.99 for my SW figures when I'm paying $5.99 for the new 30 point atriculation Spiderman which is very detailed or $5.99 for the Simpsons figures that have built in voice chips. The SW figures have nothing special about them. Come on now Hasbro, I know when I'm being ripped off and so do the fans, and at the current prices, we are.

Tycho
01-27-2002, 03:33 PM
1) Hasbro had one license to do figures before 1997 (or 1998) to test the demand for new figures and they did a wave of 9 figures, then 8 more, and proceeded cautiously until they confirmed that collectors would buy these new, modern figures in a frenzy.

2) Hasbro had to renew the license for the Prequels, and LUCASFILM charged them one heck of a lot.

3) To offset the license cost, Hasbro raised prices to $5.99 and tried to add something to the package to give us even a penny's worth of our money back: freezeframes, flashback cards.

4) Hasbro wanted to buy into the CommTech phase and raise their prices once more to $6.99, but give us something that cost more than a few pennies - CommTechs. They thought we'd like it (or kids would) if the toys were "interactive" as the term applies to the electronic age.

A trade-off was made: the figures could say 1 thing with clarity, or they could have multiple interactive lines or sound effects with the CommTech quality we got. We got it alright :rolleyes:

5) Episode One toys sold before the movie was seen on May 19. On May 3, Toys R Us did millions of dollars of business in 2.5 hours and set records for the toy industry. Everyone seemed to be missing something out of the 18 figures released, beasts, vehicles, etc., and retailers with angry moms and kids, and plenty of us "usually quiet" collectors, put pressure on Hasbro.

Original estimates of Episode One sales were going to be $650, 000, 000 worth of products (their cost) - all projected to bring the company a return and help pay for the license. Stores beleaguered with customers demanding their chains buy and stock more figures, especially Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us, begged Hasbro to keep everything in production and churn out more - and they did. Hasbro made $850,000,000 worth of product (their cost - and that's adding 200,000,000 for that total, not a ridiculously larger number). One figure in particular, Darth Maul, experienced incredible sales before the movie, and demand could not be met. His image on the packaging suggested he was a major new villain, while his role in the movie would wind up being a patsie, or just a tool to be used by Palpatine, sacraficed and thrown away. People having read spoilers knew this, but a large audience who "just wanted to see a movie" had built up unrealistic expectations for Darth Maul - and failing to remember countless times George Lucas said that Star Wars was Anakin Skywalker's story (Darth Vader's) - figured a new hotshot Sith Lord would go 3 movies or challenge Darth Vader (a Star Wars icon) for supremacy, or being more memorable. (???) If Maul were allowed to go 3 movies and develop as a character, that might have happened To Anakin Skywalker's story (??? turned into the Darth Maul Show???) Many fans and especially casual movie goers never thought of that, and hence were disappointed with Darth Maul - or thought the movie lacked a tangible villain as Maul's role was so small, (while marketing correctly thought he was the most striking image of the new films to use to attract attention).

6) The Episode One movie debuts. Kids are into it, but play more with video games than Hasbro's expensive toys that parents weren't as eager to cough up for. Old school collectors listen to critics and while a significant proportion of fans thought for themselves that they didn't like it (or it was so much not what they expected, more than likely because they had their own lives to think about before a movie), and other fans who couldn't think for themselves or thought it made them sound more intelligent or less a rabid fan boy, went along with the negativity and complaining surrounding the post-release retrospect for the movie.

7) Meanwhile, production finally caught up and the extra $200,000,000 worth of product was no longer needed. Only $50,000,000 sold, leaving them with 3 times that in losses for products that wouldn't move.

a) propaganda serving distaste for the movie hurt sales as Phantom-bashers joined the bandwagon (with those who didn't understand the movie - and those who will re-evaluate Phantom when they wake up after seeing the whole prequel trilogy and midichlorians to Qui-Gon are all explained and resolved).

b) impatient folks bought from scalpers/dealers who artificially inflated demand by buying their scalper-stock from the retailers in the first place. This was causing stores to put up limitations on how many Star Wars figures you could buy, etc. Remember when?

c) kid interest faded after the usual amount of time it takes for "the next thing" to come along - like Pokemon or whatever - but card games and videogames, finger skateboards, etc. were this generation's toys of choice, and the play value sought for kids with resculpts like the softgoods that could fit in the vehicles, only brought resentment from a majority of adult collectors who really wanted new aliens and droids, obscure characters that could make cool sculpts - like Cantina Aliens and classic figures that appealed to the Old School crowd - or even different characters from Phantom, like the Council Members (and incidently, now Hasbro is taking the fact that we like cool, unique sculpts to mean that we want statues pre-posed for us. Well you got it wrong again, Hasbro - we like cool aliens sculpts, but we still want action figures that we pose ourselves... geeze)

8) faced with customers who seemed "hard" for Hasbro to identify, and even then, ones who always complained and sing few praises (let alone e-mail compliments to them when they do it right), I'm sure they figure to make up their E1 losses and the licensing cost losses, while just sticking it to us "tiresome bunch." They don't exactly harbor great relations with us, so they aren't going to deal with their debt problem by doing us any favors with the cost.

So we are left with our complaint department, the only option left to us (most of us seem to think) to rile Hasbro about their statue-sculpted E2 figures because they seem to think they can't please us, or that they can still figure out how to interest the children's market (one that they logically should hope to capture - as it's the next generation of collectors). However, we as adult collectors, are the ones that are going to stick with them (they should hope) through thick and thin and over 25 years of collecting this stuff.

They still need to listen a little more carefully, and not make suppositions, but do EXACTLY what we say, and they will make some money again.

*the information on Hasbro's debt and production costs were recalled from memory from a news article from a stock study done on Wall Street that I once read transposed here on SSG. I remembered it exactly (I hope) because for some particular reason, the business practices of a company producing the toys I love to collect, seems important to me.

Jayspawn
01-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Haha, those are good. Right on Thrawn!

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 10:43 PM
I guess that makes sense. Hasbro lost money by overproducing the Ep I line, so they are making up by charging the same price for less. Still sounds lame to me. It's their fault for overproducing, but then again why didn't they pump out more of the last two waves of the Ep I line. Everyone wants and NEEDS them. They are so scarce. Sounds like they got scared and produced a whole lot less of them for fear of losing money. The only one who loses money on that deal is us the collectors that have to pay some scalper/specialty shop and arm and a leg just to get them.:cry:

Thrawn
02-02-2002, 01:48 AM
Holy windbags Tycho!

Way to drain the life out of a joke thread by publishing "Tycho's Manifesto". Do you expect anyone to actually read all those ramblings?

You aren't living out in the woods in a cabin somewhere are you?
:D

Rollo Tomassi
02-02-2002, 09:40 AM
Don't listen to him, Tycho. He has some "personal" issues that need dealing with. I found your summary to be very thoughtful and entertaining and informative. keep up the grand work!

Jargo
02-02-2002, 10:01 AM
but could you just ..... make... it .........a bit.......shorter.......... :dead:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2002, 11:02 AM
That was quite a lot of info there, Tycho. We're all MTV Generation-ites here, so we can't handle more than 30-second bits without going into snooze mode. Like I was saying the other day, I think that (Zzzzzzzz!!!!!!!) :zzz:
And furthermore... (Zzzzzzzz!!!!!!!) :zzz: :p

Funny beats serious any day, I guess. :crazed:

sith_killer_99
02-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Don't listen to the negativity Tycho.;)

Though I understand the reasons behind the drop off in production at the end of EP1, I still wnt to know one thing.

Why does Hasbro do this to their other lines?

What about those HTF Freeze Frame figures? I mean $300.00+ for a stupid FF Weequay!! Not to mention the other Coll. 3 Freeze Frames!

And what about the new POTJ? It seems to be happening with the POTJ line now. My original thinking is that they are scaling down to prepare the way for the new EP2 stuff.

But this still does not explain the FF figures. Was Weequay, Sandtrooper, Boba and the rest released just before EP1? I can't say for sure because I wasn't collecting back then.

And forgive me, but $300.00+ for WEEQUAY?!?!?!

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

Was this guy packed 1 in every 25 cases like the Yellow Costume Dare Devil in the Series II Spiderman line?

It just seems INSANE that ANY Star Wars figure, outside of the vintage line, could cost $40.00, $100.00 or even $300.00!?!?!?

I understand that it's not the figure, it's the slide, yada, yada, yada! BS, I consider the Freeze Frame line to be seperate from the standard Green Carded line. As do most collectors.

So what gives?

Rollo Tomassi
02-04-2002, 08:28 AM
Whiskey tango foxtrot...tee hee:D That's classic.:)

JediTricks
02-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Whiskey tango foxtrot...tee hee:D That's classic.:) Yeah, I laughed out loud when I read that... That's a keeper! :cool:

General Veers
02-04-2002, 10:38 AM
:D :D :crazed: That's funny! This is the stuff that Hasbro doesn't want us to know.;)

Darth Rage
02-26-2002, 03:53 AM
I wish they would of continued with the force files...

it's cool to know that lord vaders force power is 18 and darth mauls is 16.

I wanted them to make an emperor palpatine one for comparison.

Tycho
02-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Hmmm. Several things -

I like to post all the relevant information in a report. It's how I am trained to do business maybe, but it seems efficient. When you can't read any more information, you can choose either not to, or to come back and digest more later. At least information is neither inaccurate, nor does it omit information at least one person can use.

We should start to expect more of ourselves than a society who can take only MTV, fast-food, and sound bytes. For one internal reason or another, Rome fell. And people like Bin Laden are out there still, just waiting for Western Civilization to over-saturate itself and become complacent. If it's not terrorists, it will be more economic takeovers from sources like the Japanese, the Chinese, heck - the motion picture and entertainment business is even slowly moving to Canada and Australia - where Star Wars itself is based at 50% or more. So as they say, up your standards gentlemen. I'll continue to do my best for you.

As to a joke, yes it was funny. Sometimes, when I personally cannot be funny, I don't try to be. That's the epitemy of being stupid, or at least "tyring too hard" which is stupid in the first place. Here I saw a different way I could contribute where a topic that was started was one I was particularly interested in and had actually conversed with a few Hasbro executives about.

Meanwhile, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" is bugging the heck out of me!?! I'm so sure that is from the movie "Platoon" which I own, but I'm not sure it's not out of the Viet Nam sequence in Forest Gump, or it's something I forgot from GI Joe cartoons.

Where's it from? It's not from the Duke's of Hazzard. That was "Blacksheep to Shepard...Blacksheep to Shepard" - Remember?

I think Hunter and McCall were "L-56" too, if I remember that right.