PDA

View Full Version : "First Padme, now this. I guess I don't know my own strength."

Luuuuuuke
07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
You know how in "A New Hope" after Darth Vader kills Obi Wan he steps on the robe, kind of confused. That always made me wonder what he was thinking about. It never really made sense to me. Like, did Vader expect to see something under the robes? So here's my ideas of what Vader was thinking at that moment:

1. "Now, I know I didn't even slice through the robe. But I vaporized him. How the hell is that even possible?!??"

2) "He's standing behind me, isn't he? Please tell me the old man isn't standing behind me.... naked!"

3) "Holy s**t!!! I think I dislocated my arms out of my socket with that swing! I expected at least a little resistance!"

4) "Now that's what I call a Major League swing!"

5) "Great, I burn in agony for hours and this f$%#r just dissapears. That's %@@# fair! Gawdammit!!!"

6) "Damn, I must be strong. I usually just slice them in half with that swing."

7) "Oh snaps! Did you see what I did Padme, that was friggin' aweso.... oh yeah, I forget. Pardon me while I go drink myself drunk underneath my helmet."

8) "Huh."

9) "This is creeping me out."

10) "This robe is still good. But it smells like wino."

JimJamBonds
07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
I think Vader had no idea what happened to the old coot, the first thing I'd do is see if anything is left under that robe, thus he steps on it.

Luuuuuuke
07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
I think Vader had no idea what happened to the old coot, the first thing I'd do is see if anything is left under that robe, thus he steps on it.

I know what the one thing I'd expect to see under the robe, and believe you me, I wouldn't step on it:D

scruffziller
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Certainly he had never seen a Jedi(or anyone) do that before. Since Obi was the first in a good long while(if ever before, granted that some force powers had been lost over the ages).

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Certainly he had never seen a Jedi(or anyone) do that before. Since Obi was the first in a good long while(if ever before, granted that some force powers had been lost over the ages).
Wonderful point, Scruffy.

I think it's more for the audience than for the movie. It shows that nothing is there.

Rogue II
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
2) "He's standing behind me, isn't he? Please tell me the old man isn't standing behind me.... naked!"

Number 2. Definatly number 2.:yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I think that his hesitation was due to his burning (sorry for the pun) desire for revenge. He himself suffered, with both physical and emotional pain, and wanted Obi-Wan to suffer more. Seeing nothing there was not what he expected, and he couldn't act (i.e. keep the blast door from closing). Vader gets disappointed a lot.

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM
The robe was on fire and Vader knew that a fire in a space station could be exceptionally dangerous.

Luuuuuuke
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
In other words, Vader was thinking, "WTF?!?!?"

I think that's a good bet.

And like JT suggested, he probably also didn't want the Fire Marshal to come down on his *** for allowing a fiery robe to smolder like that.

Qui-Long Gone
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I always wondered if Vader cleeved the robe in two? It looks like the robe went undamaged, so maybe he was checking for a clean swipe....but thank God Obi disapeared with at least some of his under-robes.....Yoda couldn't even keep his freaking blanket....and some how Anakin was given new threads....

Jargo
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
well it's a lightsaber so it must have cut through the robe coz those things can cut through any sort of material even floors. i reckon Anakin was wondering if Obi had done the old cut a hole in the floor trick again. just like on the Invisible hand.
Besides Anakin isn't really that bright. and his helmet is fairly sight restrictive. he sees everything in red according to ROS.

Qui-Long Gone
07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
well it's a lightsaber so it must have cut through the robe coz those things can cut through any sort of material even floors. i reckon Anakin was wondering if Obi had done the old cut a hole in the floor trick again. just like on the Invisible hand.
Besides Anakin isn't really that bright. and his helmet is fairly sight restrictive. he sees everything in red according to ROS.

I wonder how Anakin saw his saber with his 'red eyes?'

Jargo
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
He'd have seen the white light emitted at the centre of the blade but not the glow.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 12:40 PM
thats probably true.

The 'Xir
08-23-2006, 12:12 AM
:thumbsup:
You know how in "A New Hope" after Darth Vader kills Obi Wan he steps on the robe, kind of confused. That always made me wonder what he was thinking about. It never really made sense to me. Like, did Vader expect to see something under the robes? So here's my ideas of what Vader was thinking at that moment:

1. "Now, I know I didn't even slice through the robe. But I vaporized him. How the hell is that even possible?!??"

3) "Holy s**t!!! I think I dislocated my arms out of my socket with that swing! I expected at least a little resistance!"

4) "Now that's what I call a Major League swing!"

5) "Great, I burn in agony for hours and this f$%#r just dissapears. That's %@@# fair! Gawdammit!!!"

6) "Damn, I must be strong. I usually just slice them in half with that swing."

7) "Oh snaps! Did you see what I did Padme, that was friggin' aweso.... oh yeah, I forget. Pardon me while I go drink myself drunk underneath my helmet."

8) "Huh."

9) "This is creeping me out."

10) "This robe is still good. But it smells like wino."

You forgot #11..: "YIP-PEEEE!". :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Banthaholic
08-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Maybe Vader got his boots dirty in combat and was cleaning them off with Obi's robe. Tarkin gets grumpy when Darth scuffs the new Death Star floors.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually, the way Palpatine turned Anakin to the Dark Side was to get "The Hokey Pokey" song stuck in his head. Vader was simply putting his right foot in, and taking it out. Then, he put his left foot in... :D

Rogue II
08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Actually, the way Palpatine turned Anakin to the Dark Side was to get "The Hokey Pokey" song stuck in his head. Vader was simply putting his right foot in, and taking it out. Then, he put his left foot in... :D

I hate you.:upset:

***walks away humming the hokey pokey***

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I hate you.:upset: I hope you weren't saying that while grasping at loose dirt on the banks of a river of lava... :eek:

***walks away humming the hokey pokey***... with a strange desire to strangle a co-worker for inept behavior... :evil:

That's what it's all about.

Rogue II
08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I hope you weren't saying that while grasping at loose dirt on the banks of a river of lava... :eek:

Nope, just turning my self around because that's what it's all about.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
lol, you guys.

El Chuxter
03-12-2007, 12:56 AM
He was thinking, "Man, that's a nice robe! I wonder if--nah, looks like I cut it right across the neckline. What a damn shame. I look good in brown."

2-1B
03-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Chux, what is that old rule about being able to crush an egg sideways but not from its poles? :confused:

TeeEye7
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I always thought Vader was checking for loose Republic Credits in the robe's pockets.