PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! 12-year old girl stuck inside the body of a 9-month old!!!

JEDIpartner
07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rbr3Z_NpU&eurl)

This is absolutely incredible. I don't think I would have believed it unless I had seen this video on YOU TUBE. This is crazy!!

Droid
07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Holy crap!

UKWildcat
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't have believed it either. That is insanity!!! :crazed:

CaptainSolo1138
07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I'd like to know what the mother did during gestaition to cause such an abnormality. When I see cases like this in which the kid is "the only one in the world" suffering from the matter at hand, it always makes me wonder what the mother did to screw the kid up.

On the other hand, if the defect didn't come from something external such as that, I wonder if they've isolated the bad chromosome yet?

Pretty interesting, nonetheless.

decadentdave
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
She may hold the key to immortality or at least a prolonged life if they can discover the gene that is inhibiting her physical and mental development. Think about it. Like a light switch you could suspend physical growth at an adult age and remain a young adult for the rest of your life. I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

darthvyn
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
interesting... sounds like the opposite of progeria, where you age prematurely.

Slicker
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
interesting... sounds like the opposite of progeria, where you age prematurely.That's exactly what I was thinkin'.

This is creepy...especially with her lazy eye and her creepy way of locomotion. I'm gonna have nightmares now.

jjreason
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Creepy would be the word I would use as well. At least the parents appear to be dealing with it okay.

Kidhuman
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Freakin insane.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-12-2006, 08:40 PM
So this may movie may not be as farfetched as thought. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118665/

UKWildcat
07-12-2006, 09:13 PM
So this may movie may not be as farfetched as thought. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118665/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118665/)

lol

2.2 stars out of 10. It's #30 in the bottom 100. That's great!

2-1B
07-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Plus they reference it in The 40 Year Old Virgin. lol

So what is this video about? I don't have time to watch videos, I could use a quick write up here. ;)

Darth Instigator
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
yea I hate childhood illnesses, and would you want immortality if it came at that cost? and whats up with the walking?

scruffziller
07-13-2006, 11:59 AM
That is unbelieveable. I am curious to see how her life plays out through the years.

darthvyn
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
maybe she's the vampire baby from "interview with the vampire"? the movie made it tame (6 y.0.) but in the books she's like 2 years old or something...

decadentdave
07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
She reminds me of Aayliah from Dune. Maybe the Spice messed her up. If her eyes turn blue, I'd be very concerned.

Dar' Argol
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Plus they reference it in The 40 Year Old Virgin. lol

So what is this video about? I don't have time to watch videos, I could use a quick write up here. ;)

Ceas . . heres a link to the MSNBC write up . . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9778227/

This is insane . . I only got to watch half the video cause I'm on dial up, but I was floored when I saw it was WBAL . . a station I get cause I'm only a hour or so away from Baltimore. I feel sorry for the poor girl but as someone stated, she could hold the key to a longer life.

dr_evazan22
07-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Dudes! I don't mean to be an insensitive A hole, but I think that's disgusting. I don't believe that all life should be prolonged thru the 'miracles' of science and medicine. Maybe I can only say that because I'm not the girls parents.

Life, with all its mysteries and varities, IS beautiful. But it sounds like that particular girls life would have ended of natural causes long ago if the parents hadn't prolonged it.

Dar' Argol
07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Dudes! I don't mean to be an insensitive A hole, but I think that's disgusting. I don't believe that all life should be prolonged thru the 'miracles' of science and medicine. Maybe I can only say that because I'm not the girls parents.

Life, with all its mysteries and varities, IS beautiful. But it sounds like that particular girls life would have ended of natural causes long ago if the parents hadn't prolonged it.

They didn't prolong it. No more then any other parent would. I'm sorry but if my daughter was suffering from a stroke you better believe that as hr parent I would do everything in my power to save her. That is my flesh and blood and I am responsible for her life.

And if you don't believe that life should be prolonged through the "miracles of science and medicine" then did you refuse you measles and mumps shot??? Those who use inhalers should just stop?? Those suffering from Cancer should just suck it up? I would do anthing for my daughter . . . even if that means using medicine to help her.

LTBasker
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Actually she's not being completely sustained by the "miracles of science and medicine" as they explained in the video, they commented that they've been told to expect their daughter to die and she unexpectedly is able to recover. They don't know how it happens. It's like her body can fight anything.

It'd be interesting if they were to take some of her blood and see how it reacts to cancer and such.

It's like she's the first X-Men. :yes:

dr_evazan22
07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think any of those situations comes anywhere close to what this girl has faced.

And, if I were one of the girls parents I would probably be doing the same things they are. Very hypocritical.

The video made it sound like the girl was on deaths door a number of times. I'm thinking of the girls quality of life. And I'm not talking about luxuries like a nice home and soft bed... It looks like the 12 year old girl can barely ambulate on her own; it looked like she had minimal muscle tone, like she had trouble holding her own head up. While it appears she can smile, it didn't look or sound like she can talk, or has much cognitive ability. Watching that kid... it reminds me of Terry Schiavo, who, thankfully, is dead. I was just posting in another thread about Jedi attachment, an being happy for those that join the Force.

What's the point of this girls life? For the parents to keep her alive as long as they can? I can whole-heartedly understand using medicine to help someone, but when heroic measures are needed, REPEATEDLY, then I don't agree.

Dar' Argol
07-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't think any of those situations comes anywhere close to what this girl has faced.

And, if I were one of the girls parents I would probably be doing the same things they are. Very hypocritical.

The video made it sound like the girl was on deaths door a number of times. I'm thinking of the girls quality of life. And I'm not talking about luxuries like a nice home and soft bed... It looks like the 12 year old girl can barely ambulate on her own; it looked like she had minimal muscle tone, like she had trouble holding her own head up. While it appears she can smile, it didn't look or sound like she can talk, or has much cognitive ability. Watching that kid... it reminds me of Terry Schiavo, who, thankfully, is dead. I was just posting in another thread about Jedi attachment, an being happy for those that join the Force.

What's the point of this girls life? For the parents to keep her alive as long as they can? I can whole-heartedly understand using medicine to help someone, but when heroic measures are needed, REPEATEDLY, then I don't agree.

So someone who has a mental disablility or CP should not be givin the chance to live? And there is no way to compair Brooke Greenberg to Terry Schiavo. per the MSN link I provided a page back:

Brooke can’t walk or speak, but manages to get around by crawling. She even lets her thoughts be known.

"She’s very aware," says Melanie. "She’s just another one of the girls in the family here. Packaged a little differently, but she’s Brooke. She’s her own little person."

She also knows when she’s not the center of attention. Three years after Brooke was born, the Greenbergs decided to have another baby. Melanie was monitored carefully and after an uneventful pregnancy, she gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Everyone was happy— except Brooke.

"She was jealous just like a normal child," says Howard. "She would get fussy, start to cry a little bit, want to be held, that type of thing."

So she is aware, she can get about on her own, and she has a strong sense of self is what I think the WBAL broadcast said.

And what is the point of her life??? Who knows. What's th point of my life, or your life, or my daughters life??? Who knows, but I think everyone should be given the chance to find out. Who knows, maybe the cure for cancer or AIDS lies with her. Who knows . . .

dr_evazan22
07-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Much to my regret, because of your comments, I watched the video again. Twice. And I feel the same way.

They said the girl was on death's door 4 times. Most of the medical problems she's had are rare in any child, like the tumors, but a 12 y/o having a stroke! The girl is 12 y/o, and only 13 pounds! She hasn't grown or developed any in 6 or 7 yrs! It says she's being fed thru a tube.

And I didn't say anything about not giving someone a chance to live, but you can fit the Grand Canyon between 'a chance to live' and 'being kept alive', which is how I'm interpreting that news piece.

Has a strong sense of self? What exactly does that mean? To me, it just sounds like a politically correct Feel Good statement.

Dar' Argol
07-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Much to my regret, because of your comments, I watched the video again. Twice. And I feel the same way.

They said the girl was on death's door 4 times. Most of the medical problems she's had are rare in any child, like the tumors, but a 12 y/o having a stroke! The girl is 12 y/o, and only 13 pounds! She hasn't grown or developed any in 6 or 7 yrs! It says she's being fed thru a tube.

And I didn't say anything about not giving someone a chance to live, but you can fit the Grand Canyon between 'a chance to live' and 'being kept alive', which is how I'm interpreting that news piece.

Has a strong sense of self? What exactly does that mean? To me, it just sounds like a politically correct Feel Good statement.

Dwarfs and those who suffer from Progeria(Accelerated Aging) have severe medical issues like heart failure, strokes and the such. Are you saying they should just be left to die? Most who are afflicted with Progeria only live till they are 13 . . . but no one is saying they should just suck it up. Matter of fact they are still trying to find a cure. What if this is a reverse form of that, and this is the first case. I needs to be understood.

And being kept alive to me is more they are hooked up to live support and that is the only way hey exist. Seems to me that is not the case. So she is having problems eating and needs a feeding tube. You know what, when y grandfather had his stroke he was having problems swallowing, so he was hooked up to a feeding tube. Should we have just let him go because he was being "kept alive"??? To me Brooke seems to be very mobile, very aware, and active. That to me is not the definition of "being kept alive".

And having a sense of self is a sense of aware. You have a sense of self, that you are alive, and things are happening around you. Where as someone who is a vegetable is not aware. Even the Doctor said that if another doctor was to look at Brooke with no previous knowledge they would probably diagnois her as a hadicapped 2 yr old.

And in another point, its hard to say what you would and would not do with a childs life if your not a parent. And being a Uncle/Aunt can not even begin to come close to the feelings you have about your own flesh and blood. I'd be interested in hearing how some of the other parents here feel about this.

JEDIpartner
07-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I personally think it's amazing to hear/read about how the little girl has made amazing recoveries after such near brushes with death. The "strong sense of self" thing, to me means that she is aware that she exists and that she is determined and capable of accomplishing things that her body will allow. She's not a vegetable. She obviously has feelings and processes information in the way she has developed to this point. I don't think it's a "feel good statement" and I don't consider it a "miracle". I find her to be an amazing human curiosity/oddity who needs to be loved and respected.

dr_evazan22
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Are you saying ...[QUOTE]

I'm not making some blanket statement here, generalizing things. I'm talking about this specific girl, this video.

The only general part of what I said is my belief that a person should not be kept alive simply because they can be kept alive. That if heroic measures are needed repeatedly to sustain a life, then it should be let go.

[QUOTE=Dar' Argol]
And in another point, its hard to say what you would and would not do with a childs life if your not a parent. And being a Uncle/Aunt can not even begin to come close to the feelings you have about your own flesh and blood. I'd be interested in hearing how some of the other parents here feel about this.

I've already admitted to probably becoming a hypocrite if that happened to any future children I might have.

General_Grievous
07-18-2006, 07:46 PM
After watching the video, I was reminded of Ralph Macchio. He was 20 when he played a 14 year old in "The Karate Kid", but I think that's just because he never hit puberty.

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
The Dark Side of the Force has many abilities some consider to be....unnatural....

Jargo
07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
there are many odities in life like a person who grew back a limb or a person who is immune to such killers as Bubonic plague and HIV. I think what the report was trying to state is that according to current science the girl should by rights be dead but has beaten it. it's inexplicable. she's a freak of nature in the real sense of the word not in a derogatory sense.
Her body will likely give up at some point due to the strains placed upon it thus far. or perhaps she'll reach a point and suddenly age much like hitting puberty.
I'm glad she's living a normal life in the sense that she's not locked up in some laboratory being scrutinised and sampled. Though I feel sure at some point some DNA has been taken for study.

there's a small part of me that wonders about whether or not she's the product of genetic experimentation and the news report is somehow a way to smokescreen this because she was discovered. but I do like conspiracy theories so it's best to not dwell on that musing.

And really if we're going to get into the ethics of pro life versus natural conclusion/death then this should be moved to the rancor pit.

Qui-Long Gone
07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
there's a small part of me that wonders about whether or not she's the product of genetic experimentation and the news report is somehow a way to smokescreen this because she was discovered. but I do like conspiracy theories so it's best to not dwell on that musing.

I'd say you're probably on track, but then the government would make sure we both 'quietly dissapeared.' ;)

dr_evazan22
07-22-2006, 09:28 AM
That's an interesting theory there Daddy. Was she conceived the regular way, doing the ole "in-out" method, or did the parents visit a fertility clinic. A lot of babies conceived that way are being born with what I'll just generically call "issues" - preemies (and the problems that go along with being underdeveloped), genetic diseases...

Jargo
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
maybe I've just been watching too many superhero movies. Maybe I've learned about one too many cray things happening in the real world where reality follows fantasy. Too many mad people trying to change the world to suit their ego and insanity.
The thing that bothers me isn't how stunted she is but her lack of development mentally. Sure she's aware, can move around a little and has a modicom of independence but basically she's still a toddler where communication is concerned.
There's been many a natural oddity born, they used to live as circus freaks, now we're supposed to marvel at the wonder of diversity and try to justify the existence of such oddities. And I say that without any hint of sarcasm or sneer.
You have to wonder about what drugs the mother had been taking during pregnancy, the genetic history of both parents, what drugs the child has been given since birth, what some of the unsaid illnesses have been.
And what exactly are the motives of parents and tv company are repeatedly shoving this poor child in the spotlight.
It reminds me of the 1970's when chimpanzees were paraded that could use sign language, or the 1980's when they first grew ear replacement tissue on a mouses back. or the 1990's when Dolly the cloned sheep was paraded as a genetic experimentation success.
If this is the sad result of some kind of modifying process then it's sick. If this the result of bad chemicals given as medication then it shows how little the pharmaceutical companies care about human life.
If it is just a pathetic little blip in the flow of nature then fair enough, too bad, sith happens. However, I still wonder and question the motives of the parents in pushing the child with such a horrible life into the ratings hungry gaze and gaping maw of the media. Why would you subject a person you profess to love to that? She can't comment on her feelings so after this are those parents still fit to be the guardians of her if they'll pimp her to the devil?