PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Packaging Gets a New Look for 2007

SirSteve
07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20060713.html#rss

So what do you think? I kinda like it!

decadentdave
07-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Looks fresh but I already foresee a lot of cardbacks with bent j-hooks.

bobafrett
07-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I like it. It's better than some of the other packaging they put out, but not tops IMO.

BlueSnags
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Hate it. Doesn't look "Star Wars" to me. Looks like any other cheap crappy action figure line you'd see warming the pegs.

Also, my graphic design degree is telling me that black and that crappy burnt red color don't go together.:upset:

Kidhuman
07-13-2006, 10:20 PM
It looks ok, just hope the lava miner is for real.

decadentdave
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Could be worse... could be POTF2 orange and lime saber snipes.

TheCivilCollector
07-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Well, I was digging the whole retro-look packaging, but I think it's a good move to compete with other lines and look more modern.

Vader's Sith Starfighter?!?! Cooooooolllllllll.............. Gonna get that one.

pegger
07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
It looks ok, just hope the lava miner is for real.

Lava miner has me more excited than the cards....but I'm an opener - what do I care..

jjreason
07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
It says in the text "different art was selected for each figures cardback", which is great news. The Lava Miner coming is also great news. :thumbsup:

I like the new cards. Very funky.

Darth Cruel
07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
It is completely NOT Star Warsy to me. But I really like it just the same. I wonder if it will be 6" x 9" and fit the current protective cases.

pegger
07-13-2006, 10:58 PM
It says in the text "different art was selected for each figures cardback",
Of course - in Canada they'll probably be just black.....

timmae
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
i'm in. it's great to be a carded collector. i hope they have some galactic hunts again too. potj bubbles would look good on these.

UKWildcat
07-13-2006, 11:11 PM
My first impression; I don't like it. Not a fan of the card design at all. The coloring is okay but the shape kills it. I can foresee a lot of bent corners, cardbacks and j-hooks which is really important to me considering that I am mainly a carded collector. Whats the deal with the circle on the cardback? Is that where a coin is going to go? Could be cool. But if so, it looks like the figure, when placed on the cardback to left, will be really small in comparison to the cardback. Which would make for an over sized looking card. Of course this is out the window if that circle isn't for a coin and the figure would be placed in it's place. I guess they could do both too. My first impression isn't great but I'm sure it will grow on me, hopefully it will anyways.

Banthaholic
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
I can forsee a problem with bent cards so it might take some searching. As a carded collector I like the design alot.

I like seeing the picture ont he front of the card. While not the vintagesque card I really want, it'll be a nice sub-series. Plus it tricks retailers into thinking they're stocking new SW merchandise.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Looks fresh but I already foresee a lot of cardbacks with bent j-hooks.

That was my thought exactly, but I too am an opener, so no biggee.

I'm only planning on buying 13 of the probable 50 figures they put out next year anyway. If Rebelscum's rumors were correct, I'm getting:

5 Galactic Marine clones
2 Mustafar Lava Miners
1 Mylloom Nightlily
3 Elris Helrots
1 Biggs in Academy Uniform
? Jawa with Droid (depends on the droid)
2 Herme Odel (likely a deluxe figure)
1 Umpass Stay
?? Padme Amidala (depends on which outfit)
7+ Yuuzhan Vongs (if they are generic warriors, not a specific character)
1 VOTC Leia Endor (won't be on this card obviouslY)
1-2 Airborne Clones from Utopau

3-4 Expanded Universe Quinlan Vos / Vilmah Grahrk 2-packs

?? Mara Jade - depends on what outfit she is made in. Zero if it's a 1998 repack

That's all I'm interested in. No Stormtroopers, no Vader, no Obi-Wan (unless it's Clone Wars armor), no Anakin (unless it's a pilot with bending knees), etc. etc.

Banthaholic
07-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok took me a few minutes to process and I can now visualize the area for the rumored coin.

AmanaMatt
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
I am not loving it; the corners are gonna be hell unless that is reinforced cardboard.

El Chuxter
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Odd shape, but I kinda like it. But I, too, am an opener. I especially want to get the Mustafar Lava Miner and the Product Name. :)

Turbowars
07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
What can I say. I don't hate it, but I just keep saying to myself, why Hasbro why, you had the perfect card and now this? It looks OK as long as the Lava graphics aren't on all the cards. I do think the circle is for the coin. Sure doesn't look like there's much room for the figure. maybe they are going back to a small bubble like the old days.

Funny how everyone is saying that there will be a lot of bent cards. I don't know how most of you find these figures at retail, but when I do it's usually at opening or closing right when the cases are put out, so no one has handled them yet. See where I live new stuff doesn't sit around untill 3pm and get touched and dropped by 500 kids.

C5Jedi
07-14-2006, 12:45 AM
The packaging design is ok. Of all the designs they have had out to date, this one would be pretty far down on my like list at this point. But I'll wait to see it in person before giving it thumbs up or down. I still love the vintage packaging they did this last year - wish they would have continued/improved on that. You are right TurboWars they had a pretty good card. Must have been an executive decision lol..

But I see they are repackaging (yet again) the anakin starfighter - now it's Darth Vader's starfighter.. Can't wait to see the rest of the repackages. Oh brother here we go again... :crazed:

Tycho
07-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Who the heck plays with coins? I mean will the Lava Miner come with his own coin, or will they be like the holos: you never know what you'll get?

"I got a Lava Miner with a Darth Vader coin!"

"Oh yeah? I got a Lava Miner with a Boba Fett coin!"

Me: "Who the heck cares?"

Even when I was a kid and POTF (the orginal vintage style shipped) all those coins were was a hassel because I had to save them for the figures to be loose-mint-complete.

In those days, the Death Star Gunner came with a Death Star Gunner coin. I'm sure I took that with me to school to show all the kids I had a Death Star Gunner coin - NOT!

So what is the purpose of useless pack-ins?

The holos should have all been blue and of characters that were small holos in the movies: Mace Windu, Darth Vader (standing with hands on hips), Princess Leia, kneeling), Anakin Skywalker reporting, Obi-Wan Kenobi in the rain, Obi-Wan Kenobi with lightsaber drawn, a destroyer droid, Princess Leia standing, the Death Star (red - granted), Utopau (blue?), Theed Palace, Nute Gunray, Rune Haako, there were probably more small ones.

As much as I'm expected to go on insanely harping about them, Mouse Droids are a good idea for a pack-in, especially with Imperials. Naboo hanger droids and Senate Camera Droids, Imperial mini-Probe Droids, Sith Probe Droids, etc. are other good ones. I also wonder if just giving any particular figure more accesories would equate to the cost of the coins being made?

I'm not nostalgic for the coins in any way shape or form. Most of the pack-ins were a niusance: freeze frames, flashback cards, CommTechs (this bordered on being cool), opaque figure stands (I prefer clear for diorama building), holograms of characters like Boba Fett that never appeared that way, coins, I'm sure I forgot something.

OK. Rant over. I think it will prompt me to write a new "ask Hasbro" question for JediTricks' list for the new week.

decadentdave
07-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Pack-ins are pathetic. Give us some decent accessories not stupid coins, holograms and freeze-frames. We could get that crap out of a Cracker Jack box. Just think, the money Hasbro spends on R&D and materials for these things could be diverted to producing some really cool playsets or vehicles.

figrin bran
07-14-2006, 02:21 AM
the packaging sure doesn't look very "30th anniversary commemorative".

however, i kind of like it and it's wayyyyy better than the abysmal ROTS packaging. then again, i'm an opener and so as long as it opens easily in under 5 seconds and the figures themselves are great sculpts and adequate in articulation, i'm happy.

sebillba
07-14-2006, 02:59 AM
I don't like the cartoony logo, it looks really naff. And I'm not sure about the cards themselves, they're too busy, and look like they're trying to form an 'S' or something - I was trying to find a 'W' in there as well...... maybe they'll make more sense with the bubble.

dindae
07-14-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm interested to see what type of bubble will be on the card. I prefer something that is stackable so that it is easy to carry multiples when hit the motherload. Other than that I don't really care anymore.

Blue2th
07-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I think the packaging SUCKS big time. The color choices are awful. Where'd they get the idea for that? Phillips 66? What kind of graphic artists do they have working there? Like it has been said, it doesn't look very 30th anniversary-ish. They had the perfect concept with the OTC and Saga 2 cards. Though an old retro type design they could have imbelished it and made a better design than that. Looks like I will be mostly a loose collector for 2007.:( :cry: :upset:

JON9000
07-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Hates it! Worst packaging of the entire line, and I loathed ROTS packaging. Now that OTC and SAGA 2 have been around, that's what I love and want. I don't mind with vehicles so much.

TheRealDubya
07-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Feels like a step backwards after the phenomenal look of the TSC cards, but I can see it working it out.

I think the 45 degree angle STAR WARS is cool, and the "armor plating" look fits pretty well with some of the late 70's industrial-commercial design work in the OT films; you kind of get a McQuarrie feeling at first.

I really like that the character image is featured so prominently, and if that circle is Mustafar and they are going to have each character's card display that character's (or scene's) planet -- and if they use a corresponding color theme like orange on Tatooine, green on Endor, drab for Death Star -- then the cards could look nice. Or if each film has it's own color scheme. But if they all have this same red color, I don't find it super appealing -- but I'll need to see a carded figure mock up to really decide.

I was/am really excited and reinvigorated by the TSC cards and figures, and I can feel that ebbing away a bit. Still, if the figures are great, then the figures are great, and that's all that matters in the end.

BoShek
07-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah I predict that they fall apart and look like crap after being on the pegs just a short time.

Slicker
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I used to be a completist but I can honestly say that these cards are gonna make me think long and hard about continuing. I'm am dead a55 serious too.

These look absolutely horrible and too flashy. What a shame when they have a great card/bubble with the TSC. *shakes head in dismay*

I guess with all the money I'll save on SW figures I can finally get the switches for my truck that I've wanted.:yes:

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Or get you some sweet grillz and pay for your momma's medication. (I won't get specific about the medication, since this is a family-friendly board, and you would probably be embarassed, too.)

Banthaholic
07-14-2006, 10:07 AM
As much as I love OTC/TSC card changes are a necessary evil. As I mentioned before it tricks retailers into thinking there is new Star Wars stuff. From a glance how many of your local toy mangers know what figures sell and what don't. They might see pegs full of figures and couldn't tell you Wave 4 did well, and Scorch was hard to find, to some they just see the same card backs.

By releasing new card backs it gives the opinion something new is coming. Some stores will even clearance out the old cards (which might not be bad for some stores were they literally have 20+ Hoth Vaders and nothing else).

As for the look. I'm still not sure, but we'll see. I really want vintage cards again. I'm curious to see what the backs of these look like. Give me a running tally of the years releases and I'll be very happy.

Darth Cruel
07-14-2006, 10:22 AM
LOL - banthaholic - I have no idea how toy department employees think. But I know that if I owned a Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart type store, and my toy department employees were so stupid that they got fooled by something as simple as a card change...I'd fire them all then sue them for all the wages I paid them up to that point.

And I don't really see any reason to believe the hooks will be any more badly damaged. They don't look to be any smaller to me. The only difference is that now the part of the card to the right of the hook has been removed. That could lead to peripheral damage being caused by things hitting the hook from that side...but I don't see it as a pontentially large problem.

LTBasker
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
At first glance it's a very disappointing change, but after letting it sink in it's not -real- bad. ROTS was definitely worse, of course the bubble design will determine the final outcome to this packaging as even the ROTS cards could've been decent with the right bubble.

I'm worried that the bubble will be designed to go along the bottom edges and that we will again have flaps folded over and taped.

If we are to have coins as pack-ins, hopefully they're not generic nor blind packed coins but rather character specific ones. This would go well if they released a display piece that every coin could mount on, if they're they're blind packed or even just randomly-but-visibly packed like the holos it will be annoying. Nobody would want to end up with a bunch of duplicate coins.

Hasbro doesn't seem to have very good decisions related to packaging though, so I'm assuming they'll be using tape again. Maybe I'll be surprised in the end, but for now I'm going to assume the worst considering their track record.

Jargo
07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
"This decision really came from the fact that we wanted to create a unique experience for the consumer every time they bought a different action figure."

Oh jeez. a unique experience like making it really hard to tell which figure is on the cardback when you're scanning through pegs of unsorted messed up product crammed into a three foot space on an aisle endcap? or just more excessive packaging and extra cost due to the amount of damn ink used to print the fussy over designed piece of crud? white box with a name on the front would do me. similar to the mail in mailer boxes. no fuss just simple and cheap.

"the vehicle boxes also received an added architectural enhancement -- an angled corner. "This was a great idea that came from Bill and Chris at Pilot. The idea was to establish an interesting form to the box which would complement the angle of the Star Wars logo."

WOO! really pushed the boat out with that one. are these guys special needs or something? "I'm hasbro design department, I'm special" what a waste of money and time. and a waste of the consumers money having to pay for that messy 'design' work every time they hit the cashiers desk. FOR GOD'S SAKE! simple, clean. uncluttered. less colours. like white mailer boxes with the label on the front saying "star wars vehicle: sith starfighter"

So obviously 'collectability' equates to 'more bucks in our pockets' to hasbro.
personally I think cleaning the dog poop off my shoes is all this new packaging is worth.

And the hasbro team or spokesperson or both are 'tards.

2-1B
07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree with Steve and Reason. These look awesome.

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I like it its looks nice and refreshing

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
I think it looks like a load of crap. It's like they tried too hard to make it look cutting-edge . . . and hey, what do you know, they cut off the edges. I like some aspects, though.

Good:
*The "30: 77-07" is a nice, somewhat subtle touch. So what's the name of this series? 30th Anniversary? Hmm . . .
*I like the "A long time ago . . ." as we've never had that on a card before.
*The huge character picture is cool; it's kind of similar to the ROTS/TSC ones, but it's on the actual card without being TOO huge like on the vintage cards.
*I also like how each card is very character-specific, and we at least get some sort of OTC/TSC-style background in the lower left hand corner.
*Thankfully we're still getting movie names, though I would've preferred this year's color-coded system.

Bad:
*The Star Wars logo . . . why oh why did they have to crop some of it out? It should be the main focus of the card, not just an afterthought.
*I really hate the overall shape of the card. Why'd they have to get rid of so much of it? It's also hard to tell where the figure will be, and how big the card is.
*It looks like we'll be getting a tiny bubble once again, which likely means fewer big accessories. But maybe it'll change on a figure-to-figure basis? Dunno. The Mustafar Lava Miner is going to be fairly large, with (I'm assuming) his big ol' pipe thing, so maybe my predictions are false.
*I bet that the coin is going to be on the planet, which is odd . . . I don't want any damn coins, what am I going to use them for? Hopefully they come with bases too this year, as those are actually useful.

As for seeing which figure is on the pegs . . . I don't think it will be too hard. I mean, the picture is right near the edge, and so is the movie name, so it won't be that difficult, I hope.

VidKidd
07-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Im excited for these. I like the way they look, i like the fact that it looks like the numbers from saga is continuie, which if i remembered some people were worried that the number would re start. I am i carded collector so yea i am a bit worried about getting cards that have clean edges. but overall i love this and im excited for the new look and the new line in 2007.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Steve actually called me on the cell while I was out yesterday to tell me about the images, but nothing he told me could prepare me for what I saw when I finally got back around 11:30 last night. My immediate reaction was:

YUCK!!! (well, a gutteral "eeyucch!" to be specific :p)

Nothing about this says "Star Wars" to me, so how this is meant as some sort of honor to the 30th anniversary is completely beyond me, the brand is barely representing at all there.

The Vader head is cartoony like a bad take on some McQuarrie concept art, and for me it completely doesn't work, the longer face, the return to orange and purple reflection, the wrong "cheeks", and the overly-shaped eyes and "eyebrows".

The "30" next to it has no presence and the way it's presented not much meaning either.

The cropped white-with-red on black SW logo seems like an afterthought, I know putting stuff at an angle is all the rage right now but it carries no weight this way especially since it's small and chopped off. What's especially funny to me is that the Vader logo and SW logo that come off as meaningless to me also are taking up a lot of space at the top of the generic packaging sample while seeming very empty, so a lot of wasted space.

The colorscheme doesn't say "Star Wars" at all, black with gray and red? Lifeless, dull, I'd say "cold" but it's not even effectively that, it's just hollow and un-SW.

The segmented angle slide-ins on the Hasbro packaging are way over the top, so none of them really "mean" anything, they're not really saying anything except "busy". Perhaps the idea is between that and the die-cut shape, they're supposed to feel like items you'd buy IN the Star Wars universe, but if that's the case they're just generic sci-fi shapes.

Speaking of the die-cut shape, it seems totally meaningless, just shapes without concept (again), and the concerns about the J-hook are well-founded, that sucker is guaranteed to be destroyed immediately - which is extremely bad because it's holding the BRAND NAME!!!

The vehicle packaging shape is unusual, it's fairly pedestrian compared to the card, just a corner chopped out, Hasbro's got way more complex box work going on with their Transformers line, the only thing the shape works with is that new diagonal SW logo.

Finally, in the "it matters to me" category, this looks like it's either going to be taller packaging or there's going to be a lot less space for actual product, that's bad because taller package means less shelf space while less product on card means... less product on card. :p

In the end, this looks more expensive to produce and completely unexciting and un-Star Wars, nothing remotely celebratory of the 30th anniversary - I think LucasLicensing has made a great misstep with this.

Darth Cruel
07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Steve actually called me on the cell while I was out yesterday to tell me about the images, but nothing he told me could prepare me for what I saw when I finally got back around 11:30 last night. My immediate reaction was:

YUCK!!! (well, a gutteral "eeyucch!" to be specific :p)

Nothing about this says "Star Wars" to me, so how this is meant as some sort of honor to the 30th anniversary is completely beyond me, the brand is barely representing at all there.

The Vader head is cartoony like a bad take on some McQuarrie concept art, and for me it completely doesn't work, the longer face, the return to orange and purple reflection, the wrong "cheeks", and the overly-shaped eyes and "eyebrows".

The "30" next to it has no presence and the way it's presented not much meaning either.

The cropped white-with-red on black SW logo seems like an afterthought, I know putting stuff at an angle is all the rage right now but it carries no weight this way especially since it's small and chopped off. What's especially funny to me is that the Vader logo and SW logo that come off as meaningless to me also are taking up a lot of space at the top of the generic packaging sample while seeming very empty, so a lot of wasted space.

The colorscheme doesn't say "Star Wars" at all, black with gray and red? Lifeless, dull, I'd say "cold" but it's not even effectively that, it's just hollow and un-SW.

The segmented angle slide-ins on the Hasbro packaging are way over the top, so none of them really "mean" anything, they're not really saying anything except "busy". Perhaps the idea is between that and the die-cut shape, they're supposed to feel like items you'd buy IN the Star Wars universe, but if that's the case they're just generic sci-fi shapes.

Speaking of the die-cut shape, it seems totally meaningless, just shapes without concept (again), and the concerns about the J-hook are well-founded, that sucker is guaranteed to be destroyed immediately - which is extremely bad because it's holding the BRAND NAME!!!

The vehicle packaging shape is unusual, it's fairly pedestrian compared to the card, just a corner chopped out, Hasbro's got way more complex box work going on with their Transformers line, the only thing the shape works with is that new diagonal SW logo.

Finally, in the "it matters to me" category, this looks like it's either going to be taller packaging or there's going to be a lot less space for actual product, that's bad because taller package means less shelf space while less product on card means... less product on card. :p

In the end, this looks more expensive to produce and completely unexciting and un-Star Wars, nothing remotely celebratory of the 30th anniversary - I think LucasLicensing has made a great misstep with this.

So...you like it then?...Or...

Droid
07-14-2006, 02:25 PM
They should have either: a) stuck with the Original Trilogy Collection look, black package, Star Wars logo, name of the movie, and the figure standing in the scene in which he/she/it appeared, or b) they should have followed someone else's advice and gone with the old Kenner method, Star Wars logo with the name of the film and a large still photo of the character you are purchasing. I thought the idea to have the figures for the year ALL pictured on the back of the card was neat, adding more as each wave came out.

I really think this packaging stinks, but I am an opener, so it can go right in the trash.

And can they stop repainting the Jedi Starfighter please? Sith Starfighter?

Blue2th
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Maybe that major stockholder took one look at the new packaging and decided to dump his Hasbro stock. You would think in a non-movie non-anything SW year except for the 30th anniversary that Hasbro would give these designs yet another but different retro look. It would show respect for the line and the fans, collectors who keep this thing going. They could have introduced this modern look after the 30th anniversary in 2008. Sure they are thinking of the retailers who will be fooled into ordering a bunch of this new design, thinking that the repacks are fresh product. But if the fans aren't buying them, it could be a major flop.

Devo
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I agree with the general consensus here. Anything after OTC is a step down. Including Saga 2 although that did retain the key element that made OTC so great - the movie backdrop (very useful for mini-dioramas).

I suppose its a bittersweet end to a great era in Star Wars packaging (ROTS excepted). The bitter part being that the new design is crap, the sweet part being that this now means I won't feel compelled to buy a figure merely on account of its nice box.

So its good and bad.

trandoshan666
07-14-2006, 03:36 PM
The cardbacks just seem overly busy to me, like the figure will "get lost" on the card. I'll reserve judgment until I see them in person, though.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey JT: What Vader head on the figure packaging? I don't see it.

Nevermind - it's on the vehicle and video game controller's boxes. Not on the figures. OK. I get it.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey JT: What Vader head on the figure packaging? I don't see it.

Nevermind - it's on the vehicle and video game controller's boxes. Not on the figures. OK. I get it.
It's not on the Hasbro packaging, that Vader on the vehicle packaging they showed is a movie character photo, each vehicle will get a picture of the movie character on the box now (it says in the article), I think it's a good idea but it could backfire by incorrectly suggesting to uninformed buyers that THAT figure is in the box.

The cartoony Vader head is on all the other packaging, there's a large sample of it at the top of the story as well, it seems to be next year's unified logo: http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=collecting&img=/collecting/news/misc/img/20060713_logo_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined&caption=

C5Jedi
07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Maybe that major stockholder took one look at the new packaging and decided to dump his Hasbro stock. You would think in a non-movie non-anything SW year except for the 30th anniversary that Hasbro would give these designs yet another but different retro look. It would show respect for the line and the fans, collectors who keep this thing going. They could have introduced this modern look after the 30th anniversary in 2008. Sure they are thinking of the retailers who will be fooled into ordering a bunch of this new design, thinking that the repacks are fresh product. But if the fans aren't buying them, it could be a major flop.

Good point - I forgot the 30th anniversary was coming up. That is strange they wouldn't have kept a retro look (even a slightly revised one for retailers) for the anniversary. If this is the look that we get for the anniversary then I give it a thumbs down. You have to have something special for the anniversary and this sure isn't it..

C5Jedi
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
The cartoony Vader head is on all the other packaging, there's a large sample of it at the top of the story as well, it seems to be next year's unified logo: http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=collecting&img=/collecting/news/misc/img/20060713_logo_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined&caption=
The Vader head looks McQuarrie inspired.

Hellboy
07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Looks terrible IMO. :p

Just like the ROTS cardbacks these are way two flashy for my tastes. I prefer the focus to be on the character not some cheesey graphic that looks more GI Joe than Star Wars. I enjoy collecting carded figures but I'll probably pass on 90% of these just like I did with ROTS and just stick with openers. :dis:

Turbowars
07-14-2006, 11:16 PM
The more I look at it the more I dislike it. Hasbro stated that they worked with or hired a design company to come up with this crap? They actually paid some A Hole? Blue and I were talking about this and he said the person that designed this had no feeling of SW. I totally agree. Now it will look like everything else on the pegs.

Here's how I rate the cards through the years. Hope I didn't miss any. There's foreign variants that I love, but they don't need to be mentioned.

#1 all original release cards
#2 OTC
#3 Saga 06
#4 POTF2 FF
#5 POTF2 Green
#6 POTJ
#7 CW
#8 Saga gold stripe
#9 POTF2 orange
#10 Saga Blue
#11 SOTE
#12 EP1
#13 30 year anniversary.
#14 ROTS

JediTricks
07-15-2006, 03:07 AM
The Vader head looks McQuarrie inspired.It absolutely is, the cheeks are a dead giveaway if nothing else (and there's plenty else to give ;)). This is why I said in my earlier post "The Vader head is cartoony like a bad take on some McQuarrie concept art, and for me it completely doesn't work, the longer face, the return to orange and purple reflection, the wrong "cheeks", and the overly-shaped eyes and "eyebrows"."

And you're right that they don't look special for the 30th Anniversary, that is so true, they seem like the OPPOSITE in fact.

Blue and I were talking about this and he said the person that designed this had no feeling of SW. I totally agree. Now it will look like everything else on the pegs.I strongly agree about the "no feeling of SW" from the designer comment, but except for the angle cut aspect, to me this looks way out there from everything else, it's far far worse.

BTW, I think I prefer the ROTS cards to this, they at least were designed with a REAL theme in mind, and the crazy die cut was for a fairly good reason - I don't think this can claim either.

plasticfetish
07-15-2006, 04:25 AM
It's like they tried too hard to make it look cutting-edge . . . and hey, what do you know, they cut off the edges.I really hope that comment doesn't get overlooked, because it's the most solidly insightful observation yet.

Interesting to note, the people at PILOT also designed the packaging for Episode III (http://creativepilot.com/images/Packaging/Pakaging-STAttack.jpg) and the OTC (http://creativepilot.com/images/Packaging/Pakaging-STTrilogy.jpg) lines. They're the ones that did the "Mountain Dew" Yoda Unleashed (http://creativepilot.com/images/Packaging/Pakaging-STUnleashed.jpg) packaging, as well as the bland Animated Clone Wars (http://creativepilot.com/images/Packaging/Pakaging-CloneWars.jpg) cards. More importantly though, PILOT worked on the Transformers Cybertron line, which is what I'm reminded of when I look at these "30th Anniversary" designs. It looks like a hybrid between Transformers and the Clone Wars line to me... which is to say, that it's not a very original idea.

As much as I respect Hasbro's need and desire to try for something new, and as much as I don't hate this new theme, the fact is, that this particular design style has already become a cliché. I'm not seeing "something special with the packaging to mark our 30th anniversary" when I look at this. I'm seeing something sterile, heavily reliant on computer software (hooray for Illustrator!), and hardly suggestive of a 30th anniversary.

Isn't the 30th anniversary the "pearl" anniversary? Maybe they could have flipped the black and silver OTC idea around to come up with a white (pearl) and silver idea, or they could have hired someone skilled to do some "classic" McQuarrie style illustrations for the cards. (Hell, use McQuarrie's art or Doug Chiang's art if it's available. It'd be a nice tribute.)

I don't think this packaging will stand out from everything else in the toy isle. As a matter of fact, considering that Star Wars is more often than not merchandised alongside Transformers, I predict one great big "cutting-edge" blur. (Wonder if the Marvel lines will get the same treatment.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Im excited for these. I like the way they look, i like the fact that it looks like the numbers from saga is continuie, which if i remembered some people were worried that the number would re start. I am i carded collector so yea i am a bit worried about getting cards that have clean edges. but overall i love this and im excited for the new look and the new line in 2007.
Where do you see the numbers? The only ones I see are right under the Star Wars logo, with the "30" meaning "30th anniversary" and the "77-07" denoting the first year of SW and the figures' year of release. I don't really care if they continue the numbers, though it is easier to classify and identify them that way.

These are all the different basic cards (plus the animated CW series). The quotation marks denotes that while collectors refer to the line as that, it's not actually seen on the card. I'm including major variations of a card, but not the smaller, different ones (POTF's Collection 1, 2, 3; TSC's movie names; etc.).

1. Star Wars
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Power of the Force
5. Droids
6. Ewoks
7. Power of the Force "2" (red card)
8. Power of the Force "2" (green card, no sticker)
9. Power of the Force "2" (green card, sticker)
10. Power of the Force "2" (Freeze Frame)
11. Expanded Universe
12. Power of the Force "2" (Flashback Photo)
13. Episode I
14. Power of the Force "2" (Commtech Chip)
15. Power of the Jedi (Jedi Force File)
16. Power of the Jedi (no Jedi Force File)
17. "Power of the Jedi" Sneak Preview
18. "Saga" (blue, landscape)
19. "Saga" (blue, starburst)
20. "Saga" (white and gold)
21. Clone Wars
22. Clone Wars "Animated"
23. Original Trilogy Collection
24. "Post Original Trilogy Collection"
25. Revenge of the Sith
26. The Saga Collection
27. "30th Anniversary"

I think that the TSC and white/gold "Saga" were my favorites; they were the most dignified-looking, I think.

TheDarthVader
07-15-2006, 10:33 PM
These new cards really suck. I do not like the design at all. This is more like punishment instead of celebration of the 30th anniversary of A New Hope. They had it right with the OTC and Saga 06 cards. They could have just tweaked those a little bit. But, no, we get this crap.

mastermatt24
07-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I dont think its that bad or that great. Beings that I only get what I actually want, I could care less about the card.
As for that other junk (vaders starfighter..), gimme a break. How many fricken times are they gonna repaint this stupid thing??? I cant wait for Plo's, Adi's, Yaddle's, Allie's, Poof's, Vos's, Bilba's, Mundi's, Offee's, Secura's, Unduli's, Hett's, Swan's, ect, Shuttle... Serioulsy, why do you people keep buying these things?? (I just can wait for the varrients on these things! :p )

mikey1974
07-16-2006, 06:38 AM
oh my god....i hate,absolutely HATE these new cards....looks like something that came out in the mid-90's.....and looking at those angles...most mint on card collectors will be SOOL......just...wow....horrible......doesn't scream SW to me at all......

JEDIpartner
07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I know I'm a minority but... my partner and I thought the cards looked pretty slick and, if nothing else, for the Star Wars line, it's not been done before. Transformers or whatever else may have used designs in the the likes of this card but it hasn't been done here yet. Some you win, some you lose. For me, this s**t comes off the card anyhow so I don't care at the end of the day.

TheCivilCollector
07-16-2006, 03:58 PM
For me, this s**t comes off the card anyhow so I don't care at the end of the day.

Haha, too true for me, as well.

I think in the end, the only ones that the card matters too are collectors, and I think I'm speaking true when I say that it's the figure itself that matters.

As far as the "secondary" audience (kids), I think the card is successful in making the toys look more exciting.

plasticfetish
07-16-2006, 04:51 PM
I think the card is successful in making the toys look more exciting.I'm actually kind of curious about how the figures (and the bubble) will fit with this design. At this point it really doesn't make much sense... but I'm sure we'll see at Comic-Con.

The box design, the one for the Starfighter anyway, doesn't bother me as much as the the card design. It seems simpler, and not quite so "over" designed, with the product being more prevalent on the box than the graphics... but again, with the card design, I suppose it'll depend on how they work it all out with the bubble and figure.

Blue2th
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
At least maybe they will get away from the lame Scotch tape thing huh. We'll see.

plasticfetish
07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
...maybe. That's a good point. I wish they would do that.

Jargo
07-17-2006, 07:31 AM
star wars figures look better on plainer cardbacks. simple as that. and if they'd wanted a die cut card they should have taken the vintage logo and rotated it 90 degrees and used that. just one massive star wars logo. fancy printing on the back but just use the iconic logo on the front. it is after all the product in the blister they're selling not the talents or lack of, of some over zealous designer.

these cards are messy and fussy. the text is badly placed. and with so many corners they'll be easily bent and mangled on the pegs as people rifle through the figures looking for the figure they want.

I seriously hope changes are made before this stuff hits retail.

darthvyn
07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
JT, i can't believe you're not going to sue for the "cut-corner"

http://swcollecting.com/swclogo.jpg

Darth Cruel
07-17-2006, 01:29 PM
it is after all the product in the blister they're selling not the talents or lack of, of some over zealous designer.

It may have been this way once. But even Hasbro recognizes that there are carded collectors (like me) now. On one hand...I like a card and bubble that is not too basic and displays the figure well.

On the other...I believe that can be taken too far. And can cost extra money that to me would be better served by adding features that collectors show interest in like more carefully applied paint apps, a little more accuracy in some of the sculpts, better and more scene-specific accessories and (oh my god, is he going to say it!?!?!) articulation. I don't think this particular card goes too far. But I do think that changing the card every year (and many times more often that that) does. Although the card does not represent Star Wars the way I would like it to, as I stated before...it is still a very nice card. Even with the challenges it will create for carded collectors. I don't hate the card...I just hate the cards being changed so often.

JediTricks
07-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Haw! I used 2, and didn't sacrifice the overall shape of the content, what's Hasbro's excuse? :p

figrin bran
07-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Haw! I used 2, and didn't sacrifice the overall shape of the content, what's Hasbro's excuse? :p

and we all thought hasbro doesn't pay any attention to our rantings! ;)

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Oh, if only I had known what horrors I would unknowingly unleash! But I regret nothing, my logo kicks *** and we all know it! :D

mastermatt24
07-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Nothing like tootin your own horn eh JT? :p

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
*SOMEONE* should have a good design even if it's not Hasbro. :p

mastermatt24
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe you can show it to them at CC! lol Hey are you down there right now?