PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader's Sith Starfighter

Darth Cruel
07-14-2006, 12:04 AM
OK this thread may be a little early...but I had no intention of passing up the opportunity to start the first thread about a toy from a new line.

Darth Vader's Sith Starfighter is not completely black like I thought (follow the link in SS' thread about the new packaging to see it). It is a normal Jedi Starfighter (circa ROTS) with black highlights where the red/blue/green/yellow/purple highlights were on the 5 previous incarnations. I like it a lot. And i will get many of them if they are as pictured on Hasbro's site. And I will use them in place of all the silly rainbow colored ones with the Jedi pilots regardless of movie accuracy.

Banthaholic
07-14-2006, 12:11 AM
I also like it. My question is will the release of this vehicle be in the TSC packaging in 06 then in this 30th packaging in '07. From what I thought this was supposed to be a fall 06 release, though the article makes it sound like the 30th isn't starting up till '07

jjreason
07-14-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm sold. I love the design of this fighter (the toy version), but have managed to only buy one of the many versions that have been released - buying a second one isn't going to break the budget, and the color scheme is fantastic.

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 12:42 AM
This is, BTW, a legit EU vehicle. It first appeared in The New Essential Chronology.

Dark Marble
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I love the jedi starfighters and like all of the colors they come in. It adds a cool diversity to my displays. I will pick this one up, but I would like to see them hang these and the gunships up for a while.

Darth Instigator
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
cool I like the idea of this, now if I could just get a sith infiltrator I would be set

Darth Cruel
07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
legit EU

There are some cannon psychos that would call this an oxymoron (No, I'm not one of them).

Slicker
07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
We've got all of this EU yet I still don't see any threads praising the fact that it's all coming out.

They were hot to jump on Has"blo" when they didn't make any though.:rolleyes:

BTW, this sucks as bad as Darth GI JOE

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I've liked this ship since I saw it in the aforementioned New Essential Chronology, and it's nice to finally see a "real" picture of the vehicle. I'll be getting this one.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
It is in TSC case assortments so unless Hasbro actively cancels and delays those waves, it should be in TSC packaging first.

Will those Imperial logos on the wing panels be big stickers, painted on, or paint-over-sculpting? The pic looks like stickers. :ermm:

tagmac
07-15-2006, 03:20 PM
It's a nice looking vehicle, but I think I'll pass. I prefer the movie-accurate ships, and even those I've been staying away from recently.

Jargo
07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I've not got a single starfighter. The gaudy colours put me off. I may be enticed to buy this conservative deco-ed version.

jjreason
07-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I've not got a single starfighter. The gaudy colours put me off. I may be enticed to buy this conservative deco-ed version.

Hear, hear, Jargo. I like it because of the color scheme - even though this isn't a particular paint job that appeared in the movies.

JON9000
07-16-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll bet when this thing is released that it is impossible to find. I have to admit that it looks pretty BA.

pegger
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
After seeing the picks - this thing looks SWEET.

Jargo
07-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Not sure about the big insignia on the wing flaps but a dab of paint will fix that.

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Stupid. Don't like it. It's a Hasbro Trap! Next.

Darth Cruel
07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Stupid.

Please elaborate.

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Stupid? Because it's total EU that has never happened. I mean, if this had appeared in a comic or a novel or something, then fine. It just seems like another way for Hasbro to say "we put something out" rather than actually putting something NEW out.

And you KNOW that they'll use this against us in the future. If it sells particularly well, they'll repaint the Falcon and say it's camouflaged for a jungle misson or give us red T.I.E. Fighters and say it's from a special shock trooper squadron. They'll just start giving us crazy variants of previously released ships that have no Star Wars universe relevfance.

Or... if it sells poorly, they'll say "Oh, see? You didn't buy that cool Darth Vader Sith starfighter. This is why we aren't going to make vehicles anymore. No one is buying them."

Stuff like this makes me worry. This seems to be the way they operate.

Jargo
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Y'know what though dale. I'd actually buy a Falcon repainted like the ones in the background on Coruscant in ROS.

and as far as this black starfighter goes, I think it's fine when it makes sense. after the destruction of the jedi there would have been many vehicles left lying around, repainting the starfighters in imperial colours and in vaders particular favourite dark colours would seem logical to me. he was a jedi now he isn't but he's also driven mad by regrets and past mistakes. he has a habit of clinging to the past. So having vader reclaim abandoned craft and repaing them is logical extension to me. it's not silly EU like some giant green rabbit or every character somehow having a link to han solo, it's inventive and withn the bounds of reasonable conclusion. Not to mention that the ship looks so much better in black than in all those rainbow colours.

To be honest. The movie starfighters should have been in republic colours anyway not the greens and blues and yellows. A unity with the republic army fleet would have seemed more realistic. And if hasbro did a starfighter in the white with the maroon markings I might be tempted by that too.

Like i said earlier though, the imperial insignia on the wings looks stupid. I think that is going too far to justify that it's supposed to be Vaders vehicle.

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Stupid? Because it's total EU that has never happened. I mean, if this had appeared in a comic or a novel or something, then fine.

It did. It first appeared in The New Essential Chronology about a year ago.

JEDIpartner
07-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Really? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :tired:

I have that Essential Chronology book. I'll have to look. I just don't dig the repaints.

JON9000
07-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Usually, I'm right there with you, man, but something about this one is just pretty sweet looking. I think it helps that it is a $20 vehicle. Selling a repaint of a vehicle that *everybody* has at a $55 price point is a lot harder.

I'll tell you one thing though, I just cannot picture DV in his armor going about in any fighter other than his modified TIE. I can only picture evil Anakin in this thing!

JEDIpartner
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
That's exactly what bothers me...

Dark Marble
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
To be honest. The movie starfighters should have been in republic colours anyway not the greens and blues and yellows. A unity with the republic army fleet would have seemed more realistic.

I think this is an interesting point. The reason I like the different colors of the starfighters so much is that is shows more of the individuality of the pilots. Anakin always gets the yellow vehicle. In TPM he had his yellow pod racer, in AOTC he picked the yellow speeder to chase Zam, and in ROTS he had his yellow starfighter. And in AOTC and the begining of ROTS Obi was flying in his red starfighters.

Plus there is some tie in with the Army of the Republic. The ships they flew were Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green. The colors of all the different clone troopers that are in the movie. Now don't get me wrong, I am ready for a break from the paint variations of the Jedi Starfighters but I like that my figures stand with their own distinct ships rather than 6 red and white fighters.

Jargo
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Speaking of yellow fighters, I've always fancied a retooled Y-wingwith all the external body panels in place like it would have looked before the rebels strippedit all off for easy access.
there's a drawing of how it would look in the OT incredible cross sections book. anyone got that handy to post a picture?
anyway.

yeah I take your point DM, don't agree but not gonna argue.

Devo
07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
The new high rez picture on Rebelscum has it looking like the cockpit has a purple or crimson theme inside which, if memory serves, is reminiscent of the interior of his ANH TIE advanced.

I'm actually considering this one. I think a Vader figure standing next to this might look pretty cool. Although I see JediPartnr's point about what ridiculous vehicle repaints we might get next - jungle-camo Millenium Falcon, Mustufar red TIE fighter and whatnot.

DarkArtist
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I actually am looking forward to this one. I love the Imperial emblems on the solar wings. Plus the gunner stations Darth Vader has articulated knees so it might be the best choice Vader with the exceptions of the VOTC and Evolutions to be in the pilot's seat.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
The new high rez picture on Rebelscum has it looking like the cockpit has a purple or crimson theme inside which, if memory serves, is reminiscent of the interior of his ANH TIE advanced.What am I, chopped liver? http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=191

Anyway, the Sith Starfighter cockpit looks red to me, and I don't remember the DV TIE having that on the inside (its cockpit is the same set as the regular TIEs which is why it has a window on the back even though the DV TIE doesn't have that detail on the outside).

For me, I'm more tempted than I expected, but the real selling issue will be exactly how black the deco really is, the color looks dark gray in the loose photo but black on the boxed one.

Darth Cruel
07-26-2006, 02:59 PM
JT-didn't you see it at Comoc-Con?

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I didn't make it to SDCC, at the last minute I had a family event come up right in the middle and since I don't drive, it wasn't possible for me to go down to San Diego, make it back to LA, and then back to SD again. Instead, I helped Steve from here at home (which is why there are no posts from me on Thursday).

SpartansOnFire
07-26-2006, 11:51 PM
By the way this ship also was mentioned in the novel Star Wars: The Dark Lord - The Rise Of Darth Vader. <Sequel to Revenge Of the Sith Novel.

Jargo
07-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Well it looks like i won't be buying this after all. not because i don't want to but my current storage isn't going to allow me the space. so it's only jabbas palace and cantina figures for me from now on. Even then I have no room for speeders or beasts. :(

Devo
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Well it looks like i won't be buying this after all. not because i don't want to but my current storage isn't going to allow me the space. so it's only jabbas palace and cantina figures for me from now on. Even then I have no room for speeders or beasts. :(

Are you an opener? If so, put boxes in the attic or basement and find different ways of making room for loose toys - display X-wings on their rockets, balance other vehicles that take up loads of horizontal space upright against walls or the sides of your shelving units, hang stuff - either properly or with shoelace if need be, build makeshift extra shelves within shelves to fill empty verticle space....all of this is moot if you don't open your stuff or if you've done it all already.

Personally I'd prefer to have something I really want but not be able to display it than to have to pass on it altogether. For all the vehicles I want to get this year - Dagobah X-wing, Rogue 2 snowspeeder, 2 large wing TIEs, Vaders Sith starfighter, Kit Fisto&Saesee Tinn starfighters, AAT repaint, Hailfire repaint...I too am going to have space issues. My mum however has authorised me, and even encouraged me, to buy a display unit to fill an empty space on our landing - so theres an option for me.

Jargo
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't even have room for Luke's landspeeder. i've got one shelf containing cantina and podracers and a few choice droids. and another barely fits the jabbas palace crowd. I've had to give up my personal room for our lodger and I'm being urged to detach a large amount of my stuff simply to make room.

It sucks, but it makes me more focused and saves money. spose that's good enough. it was the fantastic creatures and aliens that got me hooked on star wars in the first place.

Darth Cruel
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I was finally able to get one of these to open about a week ago. Awesome. All the way awesome. I like this ship design a lot and the black color really gives it a deadly look. Now I just need to find a figure cool enough to be the pilot. Vader sucks as a pilot for it. Not because Vader is a lousy character, but just because he does not look right in a sleek vehicle like that. He looks better in the clumsy-looking T.I.E. Advanced.

The Utapau Shadow Trooper looks best so far. But he is not a pilot so he won't get the honor of sitting the ship full-time. A SA T.I.E. Fighter Pilot done a la Saga2 sculpting would be a great fit. But even that would be a reach as everyone knows what ship that pilot belongs to. I am hoping for a figure that will look the part of the pilot for this slick beast soon.

Bosskman
12-15-2006, 05:44 AM
This vehicle is cool and I'm glad I got it. The red-tinted cockpit looks particularly sharp. I'm going to put and extra Vader in it when I get one.

BTW, I display the following vehicles either on their ends or on their sides against the back wall of my shelf:

All the X-Wings exept Dagobah
TIE Bomber
Vader's TIE Fighter
All the AOTC and ROTS style Jedi Starfighters
All the Snowspeeders
Luke's Landspeeder
95 Falcon
Flash Speeder
Naboo Cruiser
Naboo Starfighter
Sebulba's Pod Racer
Geonosian Starfighter

This saves a huge amount of room as I am able to have my ENTIRE collection out except for half of the Jedi Council floor.

Bosskman
12-15-2006, 05:45 AM
I forgot I display the Y-Wing and A-Wing upright as well and the B-Wing on it's engines too.

Old Fossil
12-15-2006, 08:05 AM
I was finally able to get one of these to open about a week ago. Awesome. All the way awesome. I like this ship design a lot and the black color really gives it a deadly look. Now I just need to find a figure cool enough to be the pilot. Vader sucks as a pilot for it. Not because Vader is a lousy character, but just because he does not look right in a sleek vehicle like that. He looks better in the clumsy-looking T.I.E. Advanced.

The Utapau Shadow Trooper looks best so far. But he is not a pilot so he won't get the honor of sitting the ship full-time. A SA T.I.E. Fighter Pilot done a la Saga2 sculpting would be a great fit. But even that would be a reach as everyone knows what ship that pilot belongs to. I am hoping for a figure that will look the part of the pilot for this slick beast soon.

What about a Clone Pilot in the black uniform? Or Evolutions Sidious/Palpatine?

jedi master sal
12-15-2006, 08:30 AM
What about a Clone Pilot in the black uniform? Or Evolutions Sidious/Palpatine?

Yeah, I was going to say a Black garbed Clone Pilot as well.

TheDarthVader
12-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I bought this one too, and I love it!

2-1B
12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Maybe put the TPM Pilot Ani in this thing ? :confused:

No ? lol

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I was going to say a Black garbed Clone Pilot as well.
Me too. I think we have a winner! Even the colors match, black outfit, similar faction logo, dark red helmet lenses.

Darth Cruel
12-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going with the black version of the clone pilot. It took a while for that sculpt to sit well with me so I am still a little slow to go to it for much of anything. But the more I see him in that ship the better he looks.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I ended up getting this today. I could have saved the money since I already have a Yellow, Red, Green and Purple one like this. It was a bit cheaper than I expected, as Fred Meyer had it for $15.99. I thought it was $19.99, but my receipt shows $15.99.

Jargo
01-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm hoping my lodger moves out. he's started seeing someone and hopefully he'll go and live with them so i can have my room back and expand my toy displays and get one of these. saw one today and was very tempted to spend cash i don't have on it. I'm thinking this and a couple of Barc speeders painted up in the same scheme will look mighty cool. in fact, a republic gunship in the same scheme too. repaint the green on an AT-RT in black or dark grey as well. But use OT troops rather than clonetroopers. gunship, couple of starfighters, AT_RT and a couple of Barc speeders all grey and black.. nice little fighting force.