PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Weekly Q&A - July 14th

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks again to all the folks who sent in questions and the handful that actually voted last week.

Hasbro skipped last week due to the 4th of July holiday shortening the work-week. Although they said last week they'd be doing double-answers this week, they changed their minds and have decided to answer only the questions sent in on June 30th.

Let's get to Hasbro's July 14th answers:

Q: When will we see BG-J38 (from Jabba's palace), CZ-3 (from ANH), Elis Helrot (from the Cantina), LIN-V8K (mining Droid from Tatooine), all kinds of different R5 units, a Vac-metal RA-7 (from tatooine on sand crawler), 2X-3KPR (from the Tatooine), Tonnika Sisters and Wioslea (from Mos Eisley)?

A: Steve - that's many questions in one! There are some great figures in there, but we won't be able to answer specific questions like this in the future ("When is character X going to be made?" or "Will character X be made?") unless we are close to announcing a specific wave or product.

- -

Q: You mentioned "new" vehicles in your 2007 STARFIGHTER lineup, does this mean all those new vehicles are going to be starfighters, or is that just the name of the assortment, perhaps just denoting a size/pricepoint? I know you mentioned you cannot reveal the vehicles at this time, but can you shed some light on if this assortment will include ground vehicles such as Tanks, Sail barges or Walkers?

A: That's just the name of the Assortment, at the $19.99 SRP price point. We won't have the details on the new vehicles until the beginning of 2007.

- -

Q: With so many high-demand characters with speaking roles in the movies that have not yet been made (such as Tey How, Tagge, Ask Aak, Jocasta Nu, Lando in Smuggler's Gear, Queen Jamilla), why do you produce new sculpts, not just re-releases of existing sculpts, for minor characters who were done adequately in the past and who have five seconds or less of screen time (eg, Hammerhead, Garindan, Bossk, Dengar)?

A: The selection of figures for a wave or the year is always a balancing act to keep the widest possible fan (kid and collector) traction in the brand. In many cases the characters you listed as being re-released are more popular than the ones you suggested for new figures overall. While we do like many of the figures you mentioned, and some or all will probably see the light of day over the next few years, the fact is that Cantina aliens and Bounty Hunters are very high-demand segments of the Star Wars figure world. They stand out among others for their strong iconic nature and important role in taking us to a galaxy far, far away in Episodes IV and V.

You can find previous answers in SSG's weekly Hasbro Q&A archive (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=76).

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I love their total non-answer to my question. :mad: I didn't ask why we get background characters, but why those background characters are resculpted thirty-eleven times. These answers get less helpful and more noncommittal every week.

Tycho
07-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't like some of Hasbro's answers. They were often evasive and their attitude is smug.

Although they said last week they'd be doing double-answers this week, they changed their minds and have decided to answer only the questions sent in on June 30th.

Great. Thanks Hasbro. That was big of you.

"I am altering the agreement. Pray I don't alter it any further!" - Remind you of anyone?

but we won't be able to answer specific questions like this in the future ....unless we are close to announcing a specific wave or product.

Or if you're saving the big news for Comic Con or your own web update. New Question for Hasbro: "Please define 'close to announcing a specific wave or product.' "

Q: "does this mean all those new vehicles are going to be starfighters, or is that just the name of the assortment"

A: "That's just the name of the Assortment, at the $19.99 SRP price point. We won't have the details on the new vehicles until the beginning of 2007."

I'm not getting my hopes up for seeing a V-wing or Sith Infiltrator at Comic Con now. But that's good news as I also hope to see a Droid Gunship, Clone Swamp Speeder, and Grievous' personal ship - all of which would fit in that assortment's price point as toys more than likely (Padme's ship too) along with polka-dotted Jedi Starfighters being repainted for the 6th time.

In many cases the characters you listed as being re-released are more popular than the ones you suggested for new figures overall....the fact is that Cantina aliens and Bounty Hunters are very high-demand segments of the Star Wars figure world. They stand out among others for their strong iconic nature and important role in taking us to a galaxy far, far away in Episodes IV and V.

I told you so. I've been saying that for years. :rolleyes: In other words, we'll get young Owen and Beru after Zuckuss has been resculpted and Super-Articulated. We'll get Ice Cream Maker Guy and Yarna after Zuckuss' resculpt has been resculpted.

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
New question for next time:

"I don't think you understood the previous question. Why put money into producing new sculpts of figures who have less than five seconds of screen time and who have been done adequately in the past?"

Or is that too many big words?

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Chux, that is their answer to your question, "[they] are more popular than the ones you suggested for new figures overall." That's Hasbro's answer, they're more popular - it's like high school, so what if Debbie has a car while Janey doesn't, Debbie's cute and she gets a second car for her birthday. :p

BTW, I was kinda steamed that not only no double-answers even though they said they would, but they didn't answer the June 30th questions from ActionFigs.com that I sent in.

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm debating whether to skip their presentation, as there won't be any actual answers, or to go and tell these douches off.

Eh, it's not the sculptors' fault. I should skip it and save my breath.

Turbowars
07-14-2006, 06:53 PM
I knew these questions would be totally worthless. That's why I don't vote on the questions anymore, there's no point. I think are guesses to our questions are more accurate than what Hasbro gives us. JT, I'm sorry to say, but you are just spinning your wheels. I bet hasbro doesn't even know who most of the characters from my question anyway.

Thanks Hasbro.:thumbsup:

Droid
07-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I would like to see Hasbro's research that says Hammerhead is more popular with children than Bom Vimdim or Brainiac, just to name two.

Tycho
07-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Hasbro does research? I'd like to see how they do that period? Did they test the custom choppers with a group full of kids in a rubber room?

Jargo
07-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree. why bother asking when all they say is "we can't anser at this time. that will be revealed next year. we use a pin and shove it in the list while blindfolded to see who gets made or not."

So far these Q&A sessions have produced nothing but the same vagueness we always get from hasbro. Frankly i wish hasbro would shut the hell up until they make up their minds what they're doing and then put out a full statement with full info or stop playing with the people asking the questions.

And what sort of drongo names an assortment of vehicles after one particular type, then states the name has little or nothing to do with what that range includes. dumbasses. Can we have these questions answered by someone with at least half a brain in future please?

Tycho
07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Winning job application for Public Relations at Hasbro:

Name: I don't know. It might be revealed if and when I'm hired at a later date.

Previous Experience: I can't really say at this time.

Education: I went to a location I cannot disclose right now. While there, I learned things.

References: I cannot give you specific names.

Turbowars
07-15-2006, 09:43 PM
LOL Tycho that's awesome!!!! That sums it up nicely.:thumbsup: Hopefully we will hear what we want at the Con, but who knows.

kool-aid killer
07-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Whens the next Q&A thing? Ive got a question for it, does Hasbro have plans to release an AT-ST that has "snowy" looking paint upon it (kind of like theyre doing an AT-AT with jungle junk over it) sometime in the future, given all the rereleases of vehicles with different paint applications we know are upcoming? Thank you Hasbro, i dont love you, but i care about you.

Edit: crap, i just seen the sticky thread. I, KAK, am an idiot.

Tycho
07-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up for seeing a V-wing or Sith Infiltrator at Comic Con now. But that's good news as I also hope to see a Droid Gunship, Clone Swamp Speeder, and Grievous' personal ship - all of which would fit in that assortment's price point as toys more than likely (Padme's ship too) along with polka-dotted Jedi Starfighters being repainted for the 6th time.

I was so right about not seeing a V-wing or Sith Infiltrator at Comic Con.

Unfortunately I was also right about seeing every starfighter repaint job imaginable: Mace Windu's, "Darth Vader's Sith Jedi Starfighter (Anakin's 2nd green and white one in ROTS), Kit Fisto's starfighter, the Clone Wars ARC 170, SaeSae Tiin's Jedi Starfighter..." Geeze. I feel they should let completists remove the proofs of purchases and mail them in for a certificate for free psychological counseling. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad El Chuxter did show up so, and MMForce (I think that's his screen name), so we could hang out and make fun of Hasbro all together.

They thought it was a joke to show us pictures of Funeral Pyre Qui-Gon and The Ice Cream Maker Guy. It might have been mildly ammusing as to how they got us all excited, but I wasn't laughing as they dashed our hopes only seconds later.

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 04:19 PM
You mean "mrmforce" Tycho? If he's the one I'm thinking of, he lives in SD as well and is a SW fan who is big on Darth Maul, he's a pal I met through another SW friend.

I read what Hasbro posted with Yarna and the Jawa 2pack and the dead figures, I thought that was pretty lame of them.

Tycho
07-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Yup, MrMForce. We've run in to each other in the stores around here intermittently. I've seen him at Preview Night and at Hasbro's panel. The first time I quickly got busy ordering my SideShow Hutt, and there was so much to see, I couldn't blame anyone for waiting for me to sign all my money away.

The second time, we got to enjoy all of Hasbro's lame answers "to be disclosed at a later time - but we repainted the Jedi Starfighter 3 more times!!!"

I can't wait until they redesign the cockpit cannopy to accomodate Yarael Poof or make a "tail hatch" for Oppo Rancisis. :rolleyes:

The Yarna, Wilrow Hood, Dead Action Figures Collection etc. got a lot of people actually excited, right before they slammed them. But in answer to a question in the Q&A Thread, they did not say "never" to Yarna or Wilrow, etc - just not now. However, the grateful Dead figures may be a no-go, now or forever.

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 05:50 PM
That reminds me, I have to go through all their "wait for SDCC" answers and figure out if they answered ANY of that.

Tycho
07-22-2006, 05:59 PM
That reminds me, I have to go through all their "wait for SDCC" answers and figure out if they answered ANY of that.

Um. Let me think:

No.

No.

No.

Ummm. No.

Nada.

No.

Errrr, no.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Did I miss one? Ah yes: the answer to whether they answered it was "No."

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, they did answer 2 out of 3 of the "wait for SDCC" answers from June 30th, they mentioned the future of Titanium 6" (it likely doesn't have one), and the possibility of concept figures (a McQuarrie figure in every wave). Their 3rd SDCC answer that week was about whether we'll get a great Luke ROTJ figure, especially if he came in high on the ToyFare poll, they latched onto the ToyFare part and killed the question over them not revealing the poll winners.

ROTJLuke
07-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Actually, they did answer 2 out of 3 of the "wait for SDCC" answers from June 30th, they mentioned the future of Titanium 6" (it likely doesn't have one), and the possibility of concept figures (a McQuarrie figure in every wave). Their 3rd SDCC answer that week was about whether we'll get a great Luke ROTJ figure, especially if he came in high on the ToyFare poll, they latched onto the ToyFare part and killed the question over them not revealing the poll winners.

Hasbro said they're doing 10 figures from the top 25 that will see the light of day next year. Does this mean a super articulated throne room 'final duel' version of Luke is among them? You told us to wait until after the winners of ToyFare came out, and it's now after the SDCC, so could we get a hint or so, please?

Theres the question to ask, JT, PLEASE do so!! :D

Devo
07-22-2006, 07:32 PM
If they ALL wind up being EU figures I'll be p*ssed off. One of them better be Luke. Its been a long enough wait for heavens sake.

Tycho
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
At Comic Con, I saw that freaking Zizzle 2 1/2 foot long pirate ship for their figures. It is f'n awesome! You could play with figures in all levels of it. And it made me so mad. I discussed it with Mark Breadaux from Hasbro (designed of the X-wing, huge F/X X-wing, larger TIE Fighter, and other ships and such). In fact, he told me where in the con I could find and view the pirate ship.

He said they will watch Zizzle's sales of it and how they do with such a large item.

He noted that they have a hugely successful movie supporting that sort of thing right now.

I DID retort that next year would be SW 30th and ROTJ would be back in the theaters as a 3-D release or something, plus ROTJ would be included in the OOT DVD release coming out in the next two months through X-mas.

I was courteous, but let's just say that pirate ship does not put me in a good mood when my SBBC (sail barge blood count) has been severely afflicted by nearly 100 figures from the Battle of Carkoon who have been complaining that no ride has come to pick them up.

Captain Jack Sparrow has been lucky he's faced easy adversaries thus far. But I'm darn near sure that Boba Fett is going to take him down once and for all because of this debacle!

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Good to know Tycho, I'm glad someone at Hasbro SW knows about this piece.