PDA

View Full Version : Price drop my...or...Hasbro's greed rears it's ugly head!

sith_killer_99
01-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Well, I just talked to my brother-in-law. He buys direct from Hasbro, and he just informed me that they are RAISING the price per figure for the new EPII figures!!!

Didn't Hasbro say that we should expect the price to go DOWN?:greedy:

How can retailers lower the price when Hasbro is RAISING it?:confused:

On a side note my brother-in-law is considering droping the SW line. The local rep is trying to "keep him on board" so to speak. She even went so far as to give him a special invite to Toy Fair 2002!

Hasbro is BLOWING it! As if the EP1 fiasco wasn't enough to almost kill the line, EP2 may do more harm than good.

Those idiots who bought EP1 figs expecting to get rich quick are going to scoff at the EP2 stuff. And with the way Hasbro is ticking off collectors they risk losing the whole line.

What's worse is that GL is helping to kill the line. All of this stupid secrecy is making collectors mad. No pre-sells, No pictures, No info, NO NO NO NO.
:frus:

Not to mention the BIG MONEY that Hasbro (or should I say WE) have to pay good ol' uncle George, just for the HONOR of the SW name.

It all makes me a little sick!:greedy::greedy::greedy:

snakeplkn
01-25-2002, 11:22 PM
"Sic transit gloria mundi ..."

Snake Plissken

yaddle yodas love pu
01-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Great, the figures are molded to look like crap AND the price will be $8-$10 per figure. THese figures should sell about as well as planet of the apes figures. It looks like Hasbro really wants to replicate what Playmates did with the Star Trek figure line in 98-99. (Note: Playmates Trek line failed after the figures startes looking like crap and were make in squatting poses and after they raised the prices as quality dropped).

Lord Tenebrous
01-26-2002, 10:58 AM
I'm skipping over AOTC merchandise. My reason - every character I'm actually tempted to buy should be in Episode 3. If I make it that far, that is. I've become disenchanted with the prequels. They mean nothing to me anymore....

GNT
01-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
All of this stupid secrecy is making collectors mad. No pre-sells, No pictures, No info, NO NO NO NO.:frus:

Didn't you see all those leaked pictures?

InsaneJediGirl
01-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Another dollar?Gesh...I'm really disapointed.I wouldnt mind
if the figures were actually good.

JediCole
01-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by yaddle yodas love pu
Great, the figures are molded to look like crap AND the price will be $8-$10 per figure. THese figures should sell about as well as planet of the apes figures. It looks like Hasbro really wants to replicate what Playmates did with the Star Trek figure line in 98-99. (Note: Playmates Trek line failed after the figures startes looking like crap and were make in squatting poses and after they raised the prices as quality dropped).

It seems that at least the Sneak Preview figures will be at a decent price, if the Wal-Mart price scans posted here are any indication. I agree that the figures will suffer due to a higher price point and lack of collectors support. Perhaps Hasbro is merely engineering an "out" for when their license next lapses. Citing poor response to AOTC figures, they could have a built in excuse to drop the line outright.

One note of correction, yaddle. The Star Trek line met its demise not due to lack of quality so much as due to greed on the part of Paramount. Around the time the line ended, Playmates' license was up for renewal and Parmount wanted the sky for the master toy license. Playmates gave them a sincere, "thanks but no thanks, it was fun while it lasted", and bid the Star Trek line farewell in favore of a much less expensive master toy license from Fox, and thus the Simpsons toy line was born. I do not discount the decline in quality and the poor choices (like Star Trek EXTREME!) that would have led the line to become toy store poison in time, but the reality of the end of that toy line is more financial than quality control.

bigbarada
01-26-2002, 09:04 PM
I agree, JediCole, that it seems as if Habro is deliberately trying to kill the SW line. It would seem that they feel trapped between a rock and a hard place with Lucas and his money-grubbing lawyers on one side and the seemingly perpetually complaining collector-base one the other. The only way out of it for them is to make SW toys that go against the collector's wishes so much that they can cite "disappointing sales" as an excuse to kill the line.

Of course, they could simply make toys that are so awesome that they make billions; but no that's too easy.:rolleyes:

Obi-Don
01-27-2002, 05:40 AM
I'm with Big B on this one. What sence would it make to make the figures that the people would want and make money off it.:rolleyes: :confused: Why would Hasbro want to keep making money?:dead: :crazed:

JonoFett
01-27-2002, 01:00 PM
I purchase figures new and old off of ebay, since my local TRU sells little of the latest stuff, and if it does it is more expensive than internet auctions. Where's the logic? There's an ebay seller who sells all the latest merchandise really cheaply only within the UK, and his prices tend to decrease rapidly with time. He's my first port of call upon release of Ep2 stuff. I'm not jumping in feet first, so to speak, just so that I can say I jumped on the Ep2 bandwagon. I'd rather wait until prices plateau out before paying the prices stipulated/suggested by Hasbro. I just hope the franchise goes to someone else for the Ep3 line. :(

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Hasbro is getting lazy and figures it can still charge a bundle because "Hey, it's SW."

Anyone remember back in 1995 when the new POTF2 line came out and the figures sold for $4.99. They had no extra Commtechs, of FF or whatever. Then the supposed reson the price went up was because of new features on the card (ex. holograms, the FF, which raised the price to $5.99, then Flashback Photos, then the Commtechs which raised it to the now $6.99 a figure.

Well, I never cared for the stupid Commtech chips. They suck and they don't even sound like the film. The quality of the voice chips is cr*p. I would have rather paid $4.99 for them with nothing extra on the package.

Then after the Commtechs came the POTJ w/ the Force files. I hardly doubt those cr*ppy Force Files as an extra demanded $6.99 a figure. Now we still have to pay $6.99 for basically the EXACT same packaging as back in 1995 (for the new POTJ FX-7 wave and R4-M9 wave). Hasbro, you think that this would go unnoticed, but it hasn't. The fans know when they are being ripped off.

As far as the EP II figures staying at $6.99 be cause of the new pack-ins, all I have to say to that it, get rid of them. I just want the figure and not some stupid piece of plastic that bumps the price of the figures up an extra two dollars.

Lets gets back to quality figures at a fair price of $4.99. Plus why should I pay $6.99 for my SW figures when I'm paying $5.99 for the new 30 point atriculation Spiderman which is very detailed or $5.99 for the Simpsons figures that have built in voice chips. The SW figures have nothing special about them. Come on now Hasbro, I know when I'm being ripped off and so do the fans, and at the current prices, we are.

Lord Tenebrous
01-27-2002, 01:35 PM
My confidence began to wane after the Jawa Trader (SW Insider) charged $8.95 for the Episode 1 basic figures and $8 for a dinky little Lightsaber Duel Lego set.

Calling SW a children't movie and charging more than minimum wage for these small figures is offensive. It's the reason we're now all geared towards lower prices - why pay $28 for the Ketwol wave when I found it at Wal-Mart on clearance for $8?

I work as much as college studying allows, but I can't afford any more than one figure I like every few waves. And why should I bother with the new line when I am completely content with other cheaper small-scale lines, such as MicroMachines and BattleBots?

Ha$bro and Luca$ = :greedy: :Pirate:

Tarkin the otter
01-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Make them cheaper- much cheaper. Over here the episode 1 figures were priced at 8-10 (about $15 or more) which is FAR too expensive for a 4" plastic figure, even with a sub-standard voice chip tag. Anything over 5 for the episode II stuff is asking for trouble if you ask me. I mean, at the end of the day these figures are targeted at kids, & not many kids (at least over here) will pay 10 per figure, no matter what crazy gimmick is packaged with it.
Besides, I too will pass over the episode II toys simply because they look crap.

Darth Ovori
01-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Give the Rights to another company!!! Or drop the price... at the end it won't be our loss but thiers, alot of Jobs at Hasbro when Mr Lucas does'nt see the return figures of $$$...

speedermike
01-28-2002, 12:07 PM
"The SW figures have nothing special about them."

Um...except that they are Star Wars.

bigbarada
01-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by speedermike

Um...except that they are Star Wars.

Not special enough to charge $4-5 more than what each figure is worth.

Obehave Kenobi
01-29-2002, 10:27 PM
I'm beginning to think that Hasbro just doesn't know how to handle movie licenses anymore. The last movie line they had reasonable success with was Ep.1. Look at what came afterwards. Titan A.E., Planet of the Apes, and Jurassic Park 3. All toy lines that still take up precious peg space in my local TRU. I mean, come on. What kid doesn't like Dinosaurs? Yet somehow, Hasbro managed to repel EVERYBODY from them. Personally, I think they are trying to recoup money from all those fiascoes by milking as much cash as they can from AOTC. Which means charging us way more than they should for what they're actually giving us, which are figures of a quality that is not what we are accustomed to.

SithDroid
01-30-2002, 01:03 AM
I agree with you Obehave Kenobi. Hasbro is trying to make up for their loss with other failed products. Here's a clue Hasbro, it's called quality. If any of your other lines were good, then perhaps you'd sell some, even to me. The new JP 3 figures looked horrible. I wanted to get a couple of dinosaurs, but when every single one either has a voice chip in it or a chunk out of his flesh, I look at them and go, why would anyone make something so terrible. Just give us regualr dinosaurs with no gimmicks. Todays children are spoiled by the technology of today. Back in the 50's you didn't hear kids complaining about their dinosaurs, "Man mine doesn't have voice chip activation, this sucks." No they played with them regardless of the gimmicks. Just give us simpler, more detailed figures at a reasonable price and you'll see that people will start buying them.

sith_killer_99
01-30-2002, 06:34 PM
GNT, yes I have seen the "leaked" pictures. But back in Jan. 99 there were A LOT more pics to be seen.

Bottom line, retailers/e-tailers CAN NOT post images of these figs.

And unless your a hardcore SW fan with some on-line knowledge and internet access you might as well hang it up.

GL and Hasbro BOTH knew that it would be impossible to keep everything secret. But this has been the hardest new toy line to get pics of in recent memory.

chewie
01-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Actually. From my Transformers fandom, I've noticed the hardest toyline to get any images from is Hasbro's new Transfromers: Armada toy line. Supposed to be the biggest comeback of the line since 1984 and its been incredibly under wraps. Only like 1 paragraph of actual story info has been seen (in the latest Wizard Magazine). No protos or anything have leaked, and the stuff is due out in late april/early summer, like EII.

Though everyone is expecting Hasbro to reveal all at toyfair.

Jargo
01-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by speedermike

Um...except that they are Star Wars. Oh boy :rolleyes: Hasbro just love suckers like you. I could market dog turds with star wars on them and by your reckoning it would be great yeah? An extreme example but basically the same thing as Hasbro are giving us with the episode two line and every other toy line they vomit out. If you don't seriously look at the product for what it actually is and is made of and how much you get for your money and whether there's fault with details like paint decos or sticker application or bent and warped accessories then you're going to be ripped off for being a sap. Hasbro relies on saps to fill the bank vaults for them. Every time you buy some piec of crap they vomited out you line the pockes of the top execs. The ones who will try to vomit out the crappiest toys for the highest price. If there's scalpers anywhere with episode two it's Hasbro themselves. They're fleecing you and you don't mind it seems. Well you know what they say - "A fool and his money are soon parted" And if you can't tell what's good or bad product you need your head testing. Jesus wept! Blindly buying toys because they say star wars on the packaging hardly qualifies you as anything above ruminant level. "well it says it's the best on the box so it must be true....." "it says star wars on it so it must be good......" "Well the packaging is cheap and nasty and the figure has no points of articulation and the paint is all wonky, and the guns bent in two practically but it's a star wars figure so it has to be good...." "I'll buy that for a dollar!" :crazed: :rolleyes: :dead:

Lord Tenebrous
01-30-2002, 08:59 PM
I could market dog turds with star wars on them and by your reckoning it would be great yeah?

We had something like that, actually. They were called Battle Bags. 'Highly detailed', 'create exciting adventures', 'recreate memorable moments'.

:confused:

speedermike
01-31-2002, 12:08 AM
Well, I honestly don't think I'm a sap. What I meant by my comment about the figures being special because they are Star Wars is this; I love Star Wars. I have since 1977.

When I see people say stuff like, "why should I buy Star Wars when Spider-Man is cheaper/better, and The Simpsons are cheaper/better" I just get confused. I don't want Spider-Man. I don't want the Simpsons. I want Star Wars.

Most importantly, I am a Star Wars fan first, and a toy collector second. I like the designs and characters of Star Wars. I like the scale. I like the story.

Yeah, Star Wars is more expensive than other lines. It sucks. But it's been that way since it came back in 1995, I'm used to it now. And the way I see it is that I will pay that little bit more to make sure that we get crazy background charcters, and a good selection during non-movie years.

And would I purchase a Star Wars dog turd? Well...if there was a big dog turd in E2, and Hasbro made a figure of it, I might be inclined...