PDA

View Full Version : Can droids understand sarcasm?

General_Grievous
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Because in TPM, we have that sarcastic battle droid. Let me refresh your memory.

Qui-Gon: I'm taking these people to Coruscant.

Sarcastic Battle Droid: Coruscant....uh...that doesn't compute....uh, wait, uhhh....YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!

I just never understood that. It would have been funnier if something like that was said by an Imperial in the OT. But how can droids even compute sarcasm?

TheDarthVader
07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Some may disagree with me, but I don't think that dialogue fits the definition of sarcasm. I think that the battle droid simply "could not compute" the place he was given, thus leading to the "your under arrest" line.

......that is what I think

Blue2th
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
I thought the Battle Droid who looked like OOM-9 that handed Grievous Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Lightsabers on the bridge of the Invisible Hand sounded sarcastic when he said "Excuse me"

General_Grievous
07-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Some may disagree with me, but I don't think that dialogue fits the definition of sarcasm. I think that the battle droid simply "could not compute" the place he was given, thus leading to the "your under arrest" line.

......that is what I think
That's what I originally thought, but it doesn't explain the "uhh"s. If it wasn't using sarcasm, wouldn't it just say "You're under arrest"?

2-1B
07-18-2006, 12:03 AM
:Pirate:2-D2 is s:Pirate:castic.

figrin bran
07-18-2006, 12:39 AM
R2 definitely understands sarcasm. i'd say that some droids are capable of comprehending it while others aren't. just like with humans ;)

Slicker
07-18-2006, 05:16 AM
The battle droid in TPM is definitely not using sarcasm. It's almost as if he's buying time for some reason.

Also, in ANH, Luke uses sarcasm and 3PO seems to get it but really doesn't.

Luke: "Well. If there's a bright center to the universe you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

3PO: "I see"

El Chuxter
07-18-2006, 07:30 AM
The Battle Droid in TPM isn't bright. He's probably checking some data on the main computer of the control ship or something, and stalling for time while he does so. There definitely are some sarcastic BD's, and the one on the Invisible Hand is a good example (both of a sarcastic BD and a bad plot device).

Darth Jax
07-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Also, in ANH, Luke uses sarcasm and 3PO seems to get it but really doesn't.
3PO doesn't seem to get a lot of things. the whole ewok deity situation shows how dense he can be. "i didn't know i had it in me" after his flight in the chair.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I think we should have a thread that asks whether or not SSG members can understand sarcasm.

Blue2th
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
You certainly understand it Mr JabbaJohnL. Clicked on your link to your short film. Cool live and stop animation, and sarcasmlol

darthvyn
07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I think we should have a thread that asks whether or not SSG members can understand sarcasm.

i don't understand... why would we do that? this is a thread about droids.

:cross-eye

Qui-Long Gone
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
If droids don't get sarcasm, I hope they get irony...

R2 thinking to himself: "so besides Yoda, Obi-Wan, and maybe Bail Organa, I'm going to be the only one to know Darth Vader's true identity...."

Kidhuman
07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I started a similar thread awhile back on this here:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29033

dr_evazan22
07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought the Battle Droid who looked like OOM-9 that handed Grievous Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Lightsabers on the bridge of the Invisible Hand sounded sarcastic when he said "Excuse me"

**Grevious swipes the lightsabers out of battle droids hands**

Battle droid: "Your welcome!"

JEDIpartner
07-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Can droids understand sarcasm??? Du-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uh...!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Blue2th
07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
**Grevious swipes the lightsabers out of battle droids hands**

Battle droid: "Your welcome!"
Oops, yeah, standing corrected here (sort of) That was Obi-Wan the Oom-9 droid said "excuse me" to. Seconds before the "your welcome" when Grievous swipes the lightsabers from his hand. A polite and sarcastic droid then? Was that a cameo appearance from the perenial favorite star commander battledroid Oom-9?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2006, 07:58 AM
It's not a Prequel scene (but it was from the ANH Special Ed.), but the floating cam droid that gets bonked by the ASP-7 lifter droid gives a "na na na na-na" sound.

I'd figure the waitress droid at Dex's Diner must understand sarcasm, perhaps downloading it from customer reactions.

Threepio uses quite a few puns in AOTC (but then, he could be thinking they're legit comments and we the audience hear them as punny).