PDA

View Full Version : You okay back there?

stillakid
07-18-2006, 08:11 AM
The technician tells Luke, "This droid looks a little beat up. You want a new one?"

Luke replies, "No way, we've been through a lot together."

Then he asks, "You okay back there?"

R2 replies with a whistle and a couple beeps to which Luke replies, "Good."

So the question is, how the heck does Luke know what R2 said? Maybe R2 really didn't want to go on. Did Luke ever think of that?

Rogue II
07-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I've wondered that myself, and when I asked the boards, someone said something about Luke learned R2's language in the time between them returning to Yavin and the Death Star Attack. Apparently, there is a couple weeks time between the two events.

I'm not saying I buy it, it is just what somebody told me.

Slicker
07-18-2006, 09:26 AM
How could Luke have learned his language? It's basically the same sounds but at different pitches and decibels. Unless Luke has super hearing and can differentiate between the sounds then I'm gonna have to nix that thought.

Another one that I've thought of is on Dagobah when Luke asks R2 if he's ready for some power. What if R2 was full and didn't feel like eating anymore? Luke didn't care. He was gonna shove the power in regardless.

Jargo
07-18-2006, 09:55 AM
How does R2 understand human speech? and if Anakin was such a wizzkid why didn't he adapt R2 before the clone wars and give the damn droid a vocoder. R2 with a voice like Bender from Futurama would be cool. just switch off C-3PO and his annoying voice and let R2 do the talking.

El Chuxter
07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Maybe there's a screen or audio translation in the cockpit?

Darth Jax
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Maybe there's a screen or audio translation in the cockpit?
there is, but that doesn't help unless you happen to be in the cockpit with the droid in it's socket. R2 is really the only astromech that we say interacting with humans. none of the other pilots seem to talk to their droids (unless we delve into EU)

2-1B
07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
That's what I thought, Chux. Don't we see it when Luke is flying to Dagobah for the first time? :) "I'd like to keep it on manual for awhile" and I thought there was a computer screen translating.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. :)

Kidhuman
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
That's what I thought, Chux. Don't we see it when Luke is flying to Dagobah for the first time? :) "I'd like to keep it on manual for awhile" and I thought there was a computer screen translating.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. :)

Exactly what I was going to state.

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
The X-wing and Naboo Fighter both have a display that show what R2's saying, but as pointed out, that's only useful if you're IN the fighter. However, R2's developed an "emotional language" out of his data-dense communications, he can convey basic responses out of his beeps and whistles, you can tell cheerful R2 from sullen R2, a positive response from a negative response, yet we don't have to know that he's just spewed out a paragraph of explanation of why the droid crane is not discomfortable and he's excited to be a part of an important battle and he's preparing to interface with a starfighter and blah blah blah - he beeps happily and we know it's "yes", he squawks a razz and we know it's "no".

(btw, I bet about 1/3rd of that is straight out of Ben Burtt's mouth from one of the DVD commentaries or documentaries and I just unintentionally channeled it :p)

Slicker
07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
How does R2 understand human speech? and if Anakin was such a wizzkid why didn't he adapt R2 before the clone wars and give the damn droid a vocoder. R2 with a voice like Bender from Futurama would be cool. just switch off C-3PO and his annoying voice and let R2 do the talking.The only thing I could think of is R2 from one of those Ep. III parodies.

*robot voice* pee on this *robot voice*

Qui-Long Gone
07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
If R2 felt bad he wouldn't have wistled and beeped...he would have said: "NO mother######, I feel like sh##....oh, by the way Darth Vader is your father dip sh##."

Jargo
07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
there is, but that doesn't help unless you happen to be in the cockpit with the droid in it's socket. R2 is really the only astromech that we say interacting with humans. none of the other pilots seem to talk to their droids (unless we delve into EU)

far as I can remember the only other astromech droid that communicates with a human in the entire saga is Obi's droid on geonosis. but that's PT so doesn't count here.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 11:46 AM
well thats true, but you mostly under stnd what they are saying anyway. by the way how many protocal droids does it take to change a light bulb? 3, one to screw in the light bulb and 2 to complain how it s not their primary function.

jeddah
09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
According to Don Bies the right hand led readout on an Astromech dome conveys details (from what I understood, almost like a ticker tape) and it is from here that Capt Panaka identifies the former unknown droid as "R2-D2".

This would suggest that providing you can see that strip of lights that Panaka refers to onboard the Royal Star Ship you can understand. Now don;t ask me why it's not in Aurabesh cos I don't know.

jeddah