PDA

View Full Version : Advice on selling opened toys

SunCrusher
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi, I'm about to auction off my Star Wars collection, and I'm starting with a lot of all my opened toys. However, I have a few questions.

1. I saved many of the boxes for my vehicles. Am I better off selling just the ship, or should I sell it with the box? Also, would I better off selling the vehicles as unopened, or would that be deceiving?

2. I'm having trouble finding the parts to every toy. Would you recommend I do my best to put everything together, or is it better to put everything in a pile and say "here's what ya get." ?

3. Is it best to sell it all in one lot, or would I make more money selling it in smaller auctions?

I'm looking to make as much as money as possible considering I paid retail and higher for all of these toys. I'm also trying to pay for college, so this isn't a get rich quick scheme.

Any other advice would be great, thanks.

Kidhuman
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Sell it to me as is and I will give ya 3 bucks. :)

Seriously, try and put them together as much as possible, offer the boxes with them and clearly state they have been opened.

You can tend to get burned with all seperate auctions as some things appeal more than others. Bundle a good ship with a few things that someoe might not buy on their own.

JediTricks
07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Do research on ebay before deciding that separate items aren't for you, loose SW toys can actually go for MORE than boxed ones depending on the item, while lots can sell with high-pricetags but actually per-unit you're taking a loss over selling separate. The incomplete items are generally tougher to get rid of, so those do better in small lots with other similar items, but again, make sure there's no market for them this way first - it takes only a few minutes to search completed items.

Make sure you get the right title, make sure you get a few good detailed photos but don't put in too many photos, don't over-describe the items - quick, simple, clean, efficient.

El Chuxter
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Definitely don't list opened items as unopened. Dishonesty leads to angry buyers, angry buyers lead to bad feedback, bad feedback leads to suffering.

Reefer Shark
07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I'll echo what these guys said. Plus - take nice clear pictures of the stuff in decent poses. Don't just use some blurry pictures of toys in a pile. It tends to look like junk when presented like that, and nobody spends a lot on junk.

I've found with selling loose stuff, the better the pictures, the more bids you get. There's power in advertising.

DarthQuack
07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Just take good pictures, be honest and just tell them what you're offering and if you do a lot of listings, people will more than likely look at your other stuff and buy more than one item.

2-1B
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
1. I saved many of the boxes for my vehicles. Am I better off selling just the ship, or should I sell it with the box? Also, would I better off selling the vehicles as unopened, or would that be deceiving?

Did you really pose this as a serious question? :confused:

jjreason
07-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Pound that podium, Caes..... :D

My advice is to NOT sell in lots. You're better off to have a bunch of different, smaller auctions up and running at the same time - people want to buy more than one thing from each seller to save on shipping. Trust me, I'm a notorious ebay consumer, and this technique gets me time and time again. :stupid:

2-1B
07-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Pound that podium, Caes..... :D

"We must never acquiesce !!! "

lollollol

JON9000
07-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Even if the item is opened, it is almost always better to sell the item with the box. If the item has been opened, representing it as unopened is fundamentally dishonest.

2. I'm having trouble finding the parts to every toy. Would you recommend I do my best to put everything together, or is it better to put everything in a pile and say "here's what ya get." ?

It depends on how much spare time you have and how much you think you can make extra with complete items (usually the difference is considerable, particularly with vintage figures). Fortunately, just about every toy line has its own website that will clue you in on what goes with what. Rebelscum has an outstanding photo archive section which can help you match things up. SW figures are much easier than GI Joes or Transformers to do this with.

3. Is it best to sell it all in one lot, or would I make more money selling it in smaller auctions?

Smaller auctions almost *always* rack up more money. Whole collections attract very particular buyers, usually those who need a ton of stuff, or dealers who will then split your items up and resell them separately. Remember also, the higher a single auction goes, the more people will simply be priced out of it.

SunCrusher
07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
How would you recommend I divide the lot up? Would it be good to divide them up by scene (Hoth, Tatooine, Imperials, Rebels, etc), or what?

JON9000
07-24-2006, 05:20 PM
How would you recommend I divide the lot up? Would it be good to divide them up by scene (Hoth, Tatooine, Imperials, Rebels, etc), or what?

Yeah, that's probably the best way.

Blue2th
07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
You will be suprised what a single figure with all it's accessories would go for loose, depending on the character. Some hard to get ones could be sold by themselves. People will bid more on loose figures, because you can offer cheap shipping. Like 99 cents to 1.50 first class mail per figure. You can buy those padded envelopes at Walmart fairly cheap. Offering inexpensive shipping can attract bidders like flies.

SunCrusher
07-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I decided to throw everything up in a lot just to see if anyone would buy. If I don't get enough, I will go for selling things in smaller lots / individually.

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180012155504)

TheRealDubya
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
That's a solid collection, and a fair starting price. I have been unloading my POTF2/POTJ/Ep. 1 stuff since April and have been having good luck. It was a lot of effort photographing all the items, cataloging them all and posting them one by one, but it was fun and I learned a lot about not only my collection, but about the toy line in general (variants, values, histories and such.)

Offer competitive prices and fast shipping and buyers will love it. My hunch is (if you don't get a winner this week) you're going to have better luck breaking it out into individual pieces or small lots -- the Themed Lots is a fun idea (Bespin Carbon Freeze with a dozen Bespin figures, Rouge Squadron, etc.) If it's helpful, you can visit my store and see what I have done. Vintage GI Joe, incidentally, is on fire right now.

(http://stores.ebay.com/DubCollectibles_Star-Wars_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ1143513QQftidZ2QQtZ km)

pbarnard
08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm in the process of doing the same. I'm going thematic, making logical groupgings based on movie, scene, planet etc. Also, I find it's not good to gouge on shipping. I'm barely going to cover my own costs, but if it gets me bids, I don't care (no paypal cuz I hate the fees).

I do disagree on the GI Joe thing. GI Joe is hot if you have a complete fig with accessories and file card. Vehicles, specifically the fighter jets, are always popular. Certain figs, maybe more popular than others. I've not had as much luck with Joe auctions as I have with MASK and Star Wars.

TheRealDubya
08-02-2006, 07:02 PM
You're spot on there PBarn -- the complete Joes with cards do indeed sell MUCH better than the incomplete ones. Good point, thanks.

MASK was a great line, BTW. :)

JON9000
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
They don't even have to be in particularly good condition. I just got $10 for a complete Shipwreck that was in pretty poor condition.