PDA

View Full Version : Ultra AT-AT...better than it looks

Warstar
07-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Snagged one of these yesterday and I have to admit- it's grown on me. I am a little bummed about the Snowspeeder and the way it attaches to the leg with lasers (there's a hexagonal hole in the bottom of the Snowspeeder that was probably intended for the post display, though...customizers should have a heyday with it!)

The body is metal with some heft. The legs look cool in any pose but they are limited by the posts. The clear posts that hold it to the base SUCK. Period. I may remove them so I can pose the legs a little better.

Otherwise, though, I think it's a solid entry into the Ultra Titanium line.

Any comments?

Slicker
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Any comments?You suck

And your breath smells like train smoke.

Other than that I'm done.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
I was disappointed that there wasn't more metal on this set, nearly everything should be, not just the armor at the top of the vehicle.

Warstar
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
You suck

Only you mother knows for sure... (:p)

And your breath smells like train smoke.

Quityer*****inandhandmeamintthen!

Anyway, I think there should be more metal, too, actually. And after 1 day of display, the Snowspeeder is sagging on the laser beams...:(

Still, I like how it looks though, and I guess that's all that's important :)

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I knew those lasers were a disaster when I realized that they were among the softest plastic I had ever seen.

Warstar
07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I still have the Holographic Naboo Royal Starship MM from Episode 1. I haven't tried it yet but I bet the stand from that set could be modified to fit the Snowspeeder from the AT-AT- and probably even modified to fit into the AT-AT's case base, too.

I have something to try now :)

Warstar
07-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh I'M AMUSED! :D

Enlarge the pic here on Wal-Mart.com's page! (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4725753)

Look at that saggy Snowspeeder! X-D

HEHEHEHE!

At least there's truth in this advertising! :p

Kidhuman
07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
I picked one up today and I love it. I agree that the Plastic on the lasers sucks, but what can ya do?

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I have it and my kids are drooling over it everytime they look at it, they hint at wanting it more and more

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA! :D That is so funny, and it's not even a finished paint job... goddamn it, that means it's a Hasbro photo, they knew this was a problem already! :mad:

Warstar
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't doubt that they knew...

I just wonder what we're all supposed to do about it? :(

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, the laser tubes are hollow, I suppose if you find a piece of strong metal that size, you could insert it, but I have a feeling you'd have to actually jam it THROUGH the cannons into the ship itself... I may actually be willing to do that I suppose, but it could be risky as hell.

Warstar
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
They're hollow?

Maybe some simple round-headed straight pins cut down for size and inserted into the laser "tubes" would do the trick?

(But what would keep the ship from basically folding where the lasers meet the front of the Speeder's guns?)

Hmmm...

vulcantouch
07-28-2006, 09:45 AM
the snowsp's borgifying the atat :crazed:

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
They're hollow?

Maybe some simple round-headed straight pins cut down for size and inserted into the laser "tubes" would do the trick?

(But what would keep the ship from basically folding where the lasers meet the front of the Speeder's guns?)

Hmmm...
That's why I said the pins may have to go INTO the snowspeeder.

Warstar
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Hooray for Borgifying! :D

Huh.

Well, I took the Royal Starship from the Jedi Braid set and sure enough- the stand end fits into the Snowspeeder. However, there is no peg on the base of the AT-AT for the other end of the post- though there are holes in the bottom of the base where the Snowspeeder's packing were located. There's a way to mount the stand to be certain, but I don't want to screw up my Jedi Braid set :p ... though I do have another one MIP someplace downstairs...

Nah. :p Save that one for posterity. :)

Anyone know where I can get extra stands from the Episode 1 Jedi Braid/Holographic Naboo Royal Starship set?

vulcantouch
07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
-i do; it so happens i brought back the 2 aussiebraids i'd gotten for dee years ago, in case anyone here'd want. i happened to compare them w/my queenholo (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11478&d=1118675617) and noticed that with all the time i've had it in the sunlight (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11501&d=1118940044) it's faded from its original iridescent blue (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11810&d=1122136704) to a murkier sea green (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11737&d=1121447519) :p so since no one's axed for either set, i opened one and am currently displaying it along with my "green vet" for the contrast :) long story short, there's a leftover stand (and braid- still recall how you enjoyed modeling the other one :crazed: ) i can enclose in your pkg if you like :)
if 1 wouldn't be enough, b'jr took about 6 of the ~20 sets i'd gotten for all of us; he might be willing to trade 1 or more stands depending on what you could offer :)
vt

Blue2th
07-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Just looked at mine, sure enough it's Borgifying too! Dammit!.............I moved the knee up and it looks a little better.

Warstar
07-30-2006, 12:10 AM
-i do; it so happens i brought back the 2 aussiebraids i'd gotten for dee years ago, in case anyone here'd want. i happened to compare them w/my queenholo (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11478&d=1118675617) and noticed that with all the time i've had it in the sunlight (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11501&d=1118940044) it's faded from its original iridescent blue (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11810&d=1122136704) to a murkier sea green (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11737&d=1121447519) :p so since no one's axed for either set, i opened one and am currently displaying it along with my "green vet" for the contrast :) long story short, there's a leftover stand (and braid- still recall how you enjoyed modeling the other one :crazed: ) i can enclose in your pkg if you like :)
if 1 wouldn't be enough, b'jr took about 6 of the ~20 sets i'd gotten for all of us; he might be willing to trade 1 or more stands depending on what you could offer :)
vt

Well, I definitely want that stand :) It'd be fun to customize the Ultra AT-AT here, and would technically be my first custom MM sort of thing :D Please include it in my dee package :) I'd be sure to post pics after said customizing would be completed :)

Heh- I am tempted on the braid- esp. since my hair is now Obi-Wan Episode 1 short ;)

rbaumhauer
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Just got mine from BBTS today (waited a bit to have them ship it so I'd get the Endor wave in the same box), and just noticed something - the left front and right rear legs are dramatically shorter than the right front and left rear. In "walking" poses, it's not obvious, but if you pose the legs side-by-side, it's really obvious.

I noticed this because I couldn't get it to stand in a walking pose with the left front leg lifted, but it works fine with the right front leg lifted. I think it's because of the leg-length difference.

You can also take a look at the hip joint for each leg to see the difference - there is a much larger gap between the top of the right-front and left-rear legs and the walker's body than on the left-front and right-rear. The l-f and r-r legs actually rub on the body on mine, but the r-f and l-r don't even come close.

Are they all like this? It's not a huge deal, as the piece still looks nice enough. I'm hoping that it will keep me from wanting a larger AT-AT replica - not sure if that's going to work, but at least I'm trying :)

Rick

JediTricks
08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
1) The lasers are not hollow, I was mistaken about that.

2) The mold is different from the AF AT-AT, though they are so similar in size and general shapes that I have to believe the TS AT-AT is based on the prototype for the AF version.

3) Rick is completely right that the TS AT-AT's hips are not at the same height, this is intentional though as if you look on the underside you'll see the hip areas are sculpted like they're going up and down. I pulled the legs out of mine, they're just pop-pegs like on a lot of Transformers, which means doing this over and over will ruin the legs :p, anyway and Hasbro put hex-holes into those specific heights, I suppose to suggest walking. It does limit the poses though, but I suppose you could swap the front and back legs to change the heights.

Warstar
08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Weird...it still looks cool posed though, IMHO.

In case anyone is curious, a vintage MM stand works GREAT on the Ultra's Snowspeeder- check out the pic :)

Looks like lipstick tubes coming out of the guns though...:( :p

Kidhuman
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I hate the gun blasts on this thing. They really needed to make them sturdy and not weak.

dindae
08-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah the problem I see using the stand is eventually the laser blasts will hit the ground. :(

Warstar
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Very true.

One thing I did for a while was attach the Snowspeeder to the AT-AT upside down to try and even out the bend.

Anyway you look at it, though, Hasbro dropped the ball on the Snowspeeder part of the toy. Period. :(

Kidhuman
08-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Anyway you look at it, though, Hasbro dropped the ball on the Snowspeeder part of the toy. Period. :(

I'll drink to that

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I hate the gun blasts on this thing. They really needed to make them sturdy and not weak.Yeah, that was a big mistake on their part to use such gummy plastic for this piece, on mine it warped badly within 20 minutes.

Kidhuman
08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
I guess we can explain it as a "force guided" shot.

Darth Michael
09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Hasbro added the Ultra AT-AT to their Titanium Series Action Area (http://www.hasbro.com/titaniumseries/default.cfm?page=action). In the pictures, they show the snowspeeder on its own peg. I want that display stand!

Lazer Brain
09-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I have yet to find this or the falcon in my area....WAAAAA!!!

JediTricks
09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Hasbro added the Ultra AT-AT to their Titanium Series Action Area (http://www.hasbro.com/titaniumseries/default.cfm?page=action). In the pictures, they show the snowspeeder on its own peg. I want that display stand!
Prototype had the peg stand but less paint, they dropped it from the final version.

I saw 2 Ultra AT-ATs at TRU yesterday, shocking!