PDA

View Full Version : What Hasbro Should be Doing Next Year - Star Wars: Thirty Years, Thirty Figures

Droid
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
If the lists we have seen circulating are at all true, then I don't think Hasbro is handling the 30th anniversary of a New Hope very well. Some of these lists seem to have nothing to do with the 30th anniversary (more Episode III clones?) and, as has been discussed in another thread, the packaging doesn't do justice to the 30th anniversary at all.

Hasbro should have really paid homage to a New Hope next year and done something special. Though I would have released some figures from the other five movies throughout the year, I would have had a 30 figure, 30th annivesary line that had its own unique cardbacks, perhaps all black with silver trim with the old image of Luke and Leia with Luke holding his lightsaber in the air. Or, a throwback to the Kenner line or just continuing on with the Saga Collection style. The figures would be numbered one to thirty, and would all state "Thirty Years, Thirty Figures on the back with a picture of each figure in the line). They would all be from a New Hope.

In coming up with the thirty figures I tried to think like Hasbro. I included all of the main characters (though some have been done to death). I did not include every figure I wanted and tried to spread things out across different parts of a New Hope. I tried to leave some figures out I would like for future years. I resisted the urge to just list 30 characters from the cantina. However, I did not include any rehashes of previously released sculpts. I think Hasbro should have all new sculpts for this line of thirty (with one exception).

I propose as individually carded, basic figures:

1. Stormtrooper like the VOTC (the one rehash). They put this figure on a
basic card with the recent Sandtrooper, so they can obviously afford to
sell it for $5/$6. Let people buy more without paying $10. I don't see
that they could improve this figure with a resculpt.

2. Darth Vader with a battery compartment and a button underneath his
cape (not visible). Press a button and you hear him breathing. The only
thing I could come up with to make Vader different. Not sure if they could
do it for the basic price, but maybe with using other parts from other
figures, like the helmet and limbs they could keep the price down. Seems
like the C-3P0 torso with Chewbacca a while back had light up eyes, so
electronics can be done for the basic figure price point.

3. Princess Leia in binders from the Blockade Runner. It was also difficult
to think of something new to do with this character in a New Hope.

4. Biggs in his Academy Outfit from the cut scene

5. Tall Jawa with the small droid with the pipe sticking up and green dome
from the droid sale

6. The umbrella droid with many arms from the droid sale

7. An Uncle Owen resculpt with a vaporator tower (or two)

8. Aunt Beru resculpt with the Lars Farm Power Droid seen in the "pit" that
was the inspiration for the Kenner Power Droid. (maybe pushing the
price point again. They could use mostly the same Beru sculpt, just
make it so her one arm doesn't always stick up).

9. C-3P0 painted so looks like coming out of the oil bath

10. Tusken Raider with items pulled from Luke's landspeeder (very hard to
think of something new to do with this iconic figure)

11. General Tagge

12. Grand Moff Tarkin resculpt (so looks a bit less like Johnny Carson and
doesn't have that odd gap where his legs meet his body).

13. Super Articulated Death Star Trooper in Gray, like the Vintage Kenner
figure.

14. Super Articulated Death Star Trooper in Black. I would run these figures
the way they will the upcoming Endor Rebel Soldier variation.

15. Brea Tonnika

16. Senni Tonnika. I would also run this figures like the upcoming Endor
Rebel Soldiers.

17. Bom Vimdim

18. Nightlilly

19. Saurin

20. Obi-wan Kenobi with his hood down and articulated knees so that he
could sit at the booth with Han, Luke, and Chewbacca. (They have
never made an original trilogy Obi-wan with articulated knees!)

21. Dr. Evazan resculpt where they actually try to sculpt his face rather
than just making him look like he's wearing makeup and don't make the
figure and his LEGS so thin!

22. Elis Helrot, the Givin

23. CZ-3

24. Wioslea

25. Super Articulated Luke in Stormtrooper outfit with removable helmet

26. Super Articulated Han in Stormtrooper outfit with removable helmet

27. Chewbacca in binders with Imperial blaster and A MOUSE DROID THAT
ROLLS (make it scratch and sniff for Tycho)

28. Red Leader that actually looks like him with removable helmet

29. Rebel Flight Crew Technician

30. Battle Damaged R2-D2 from after Vader shot him.

I like the McQuarrie concept figure idea, but would not put them in stores. I would do a four pack available through order from the fanclub like the Lucas family collection that would include a Vader, Luke, Chewbacca, and Stormtrooper.

There were a few main characters I couldn't fit in there. It seems like there should be a Greedo, Luke X-Wing Pilot, TIE Fighter Pilot, and maybe a carded Cantina band member should be represented. But most of these have been done and done well. I tried to make it a mix like Hasbro does of characters that have been done and have never been done.

I was surprised how hard it was to think of figures to do from a New Hope. They have really covered the main characters. There are still some droids and many cantina aliens, but without overdosing on those groups it was hard to list thirty figures from a New Hope that should be done. I think Biggs in X-wing with removable helmet would be good, but I had already listed the Academy Outfit.

Of course, Hasbro would never do this and if it failed it would likely kill the line given the expense of so many new sculpts when there is no movie to support it. Also, Hasbro would never put out a New Hope series without a Luke in white and Han in his cantina outfit!

What do people think?

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
How did you forget Super-articulated Jar Jar with force-flipping action?:p

Rogue II
07-19-2006, 12:38 PM
That is a great list and would be very expensive. It is a pretty good mix of main characters, background characters, and army builders. Don't worry about Greedo, they've made way too many already.

#4: I don't really care if we get Biggs in his Academy uniform because it's from a cut scene. It wouldn't bother me if they re-used an existing rebel pilot body and put a new head on it.

#5 and #6 could be combined--if they are combining 2 pod-racers, a Jawa and 2 small droids shouldn't be a problem.

#10: I don't have the VSTC Tusken yet, but it looks a little wierd. My favorite to date is the POTJ version, but he is pretty much stuck in one pose. If they could give the POTJ version better arms and both the rifle and stick it might work.

#12: If they slightly modify the ROTS Tarkin, I'd be happy.

#15/16: I've given up waiting for the Tonnika sisters. I just don't think they will ever be.

#20: I just posted about Obi-Wan in a resculpt thread. It would be really nice to have one that can sit in the Landspeeder.

#21: Dr. Evazan definatly needs a re-sculpt, too.

#25/26: Every figure doesn't have to be Super Articulated. But if they re-used either the commtech or VOTC body, it might as well be. Heck, they could reuse Han and Luke heads, too.

The only other version of Tattoine Luke I'd want to see carded is one with the stormtrooper belt and grappling hook.

Droid
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
#4: I don't really care if we get Biggs in his Academy uniform because it's from a cut scene. It wouldn't bother me if they re-used an existing rebel pilot body and put a new head on it.

I don't care about it either! I just know people really want it so I put it on the list as a fan pleaser.

#5 and #6 could be combined--if they are combining 2 pod-racers, a Jawa and 2 small droids shouldn't be a problem.

I think if they did the umbrella droid properly it would push the basic figure price point.

#25/26: Every figure doesn't have to be Super Articulated. But if they re-used either the commtech or VOTC body, it might as well be. Heck, they could reuse Han and Luke heads, too.

I agree that people expect way too much articulation. But since there aren't really any more Lukes or Hans to be done from A New Hope and people are always saying they want a carded Han in Stormtrooper disguise I thought people would be excited to have Han and Luke on the VOTC Stormtrooper body.

TheDarthVader
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't have the VSTC Tusken yet, but it looks a little wierd. My favorite to date is the POTJ version, but he is pretty much stuck in one pose. If they could give the POTJ version better arms and both the rifle and stick it might work.

Is someone forgetting about the Tusken Raider that came with the Bantha? Articulated knees.....soft goods for the bottom half of the robe......and with gad (oh you know, that staff thingy) ;)

I thought that was one of the best tuskens so far. The votc is not bad at all though. And the OTC tusken raider is pretty darn good. The OTC is probably my favorite followed by the pack-in bantha raider.

Droid
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I really don't think they need to release any more Sandpeople, but I thought that there should be a Tusken Raider figure in a 30th anniversary collection and was trying to think of something kind of new to do with the figure. If Hasbro is going to keep releasing these characters over and over again I wouldn't mind them doing something new each time (even if I still pass).

jedi master sal
07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Regardless that they've been done to death, how could you forget Han in smuggler gear anc Chewbacca??

When I think SW, I think Farmboy Luke, Leia in buns, Han in smuggler gear, and Chewie.

Well it's too late at this point. Would'a could'a should'a. There's way to much of this. Hasbro will do what they do. Sometimes the please the heck out of us, and others we're left to scratching our collective heads so badly at their decisions that we've got premature baldness...

El Chuxter
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
It'd be neat if they gave us one Evolutions-style "30th Anniversary Commemorative" set for each film and major EU work, with three super-poseable figures, a mix of re-releases and some that haven't been done before:

ANH: Luke, Han, Leia
ESB: Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett
ROTJ: Yoda, Palpatine, Lando
TPM: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Padme
AOTC: Jango, Anakin, Obi-Wan
ROTS: Mace, Kashyyyk Trooper, Grievous
Holiday Special: Lumpy, Itchy, Malla
Ewok Movies: Wicket, Teek, Cindel (could throw in a fourth, since they're all quite small)
80s Cartoons: Dulok, Kneesa, Mungo Baobab
Clone Wars Cartoons: Barriss Offee, Saessee Tiin, Nelvaan Warrior
Marvel Comics: Jaxxon, Shira Brie, Nagai Warrior
Dark Horse Comics: Quinlan Vos, Wedge, Baron Soontir Fel
Classic Video Games: Marek Stele, Arden Lyn, Kyle Katarn
Modern Video Games: Darth Nihilus, ???, ???
Thrawn Trilogy: Thrawn, Mara Jade, C'Baoth
Classic Books: Bollux/Blue Max, Kyp Durron, Rukh
New Jedi Order: Shimmra, Nom Anor, Corran Horn

Droid
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Regardless that they've been done to death, how could you forget Han in smuggler gear anc Chewbacca??

When I think SW, I think Farmboy Luke, Leia in buns, Han in smuggler gear, and Chewie.

Yes, I avoided Han in smuggler gear and farmboy Luke. The Leia on the blockade runner I listed would have buns (in her hair) and I did include Chewbacca, in binders and with a mouse droid.

Rogue II
07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I think if they did the umbrella droid properly it would push the basic figure price point.

I must have been thinking about a different droid.

Is someone forgetting about the Tusken Raider that came with the Bantha? Articulated knees.....soft goods for the bottom half of the robe......and with gad (oh you know, that staff thingy) ;)

Yep, I forgot about it. You know, I never took mine off the Bantha in fear of not being able to get it back on, but he looks nice sitting up there.

You have a point. The Commtech Han has been released on the POTF2, Saga, OTC, and the current Saga cards...why stop now?lol

TheRealDubya
07-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Hasbro needs to hire you. That's what I think. :)

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments. Hell, I would love to see true vintage-mold-created figures released on vintage styled packaging. But the 30 Years, 30 Figures concept is sharp my friend.

Droid
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Hasbro needs to hire you. That's what I think. :)

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments. Hell, I would love to see true vintage-mold-created figures released on vintage styled packaging. But the 30 Years, 30 Figures concept is sharp my friend.

Thanks! It would be my dream job.

TheRealDubya
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You and me both. Imagine if Hasbro rebooted the Kenner division and hired a bunch of fans...

jedi master sal
07-19-2006, 09:15 PM
It would tank in a year.

We know what figures WE like, but that doesn't mean it's what everyone else likes. Even amongst collectors, some collect just OT, while others only from the movies and still others anything at all. Also considering the rantings I've heard here and other places, we'd never agree on issues like sculpt, materials (soft goods vs. molded plastic), articulation, etc.

Yes, I think a few well placed fans could help move the line in a collector oriented avenue, but I wouldn't want them in charge. Unless it was me of course...

Jargo
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Personally. i couldn't give a rats patooie about the anniversary. just seems like an excuse to shove out more overpriced junk to me. exclusives and commemorative packs really tick me off. You can say they're essential all you like but I disagree. What's essential is a lot more thought, better care over production values, ways to keep the product at an affordable price and less silly gimmicks. Or if there was a gimmick the selling a select few figures at 1978 prices as a commemorative gesture would be the coolest. I mean, there's enough sculpts of the core characters they could re-use to save money, shove them on replica cardbacks but add the anniversary as a corner flash in the design. that's all that's needed. 30 years is not really a major anniversary anyway. 25 was. this is just a stupid excuse to help sell the DVD release. And if the DVD release can't sell itself then it's not worth putting it out.

TheRealDubya
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Of course! ;)

I think you're right though: a couple of fans in the decision making mix could help balance the collectors' wants with the economic needs of the corporation. Frankly I think Hasbro has done pretty damn well balancing that with their SW and Joes lines the last few seasons.

Devo
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Excellent list. Certainly preferable IMO to that list that seems to have little more than Episode III clones. So far though it looks like hasbros idea of celebrating an anniversary is repacks (albeit of some good figures like Evolutions Maul, Anakin II and III and Dooku)

Hasbro seem to be treating this anniversary as the anniversary of the entire saga rather than just A New Hope. I don't see how this is going to be any different to the past few years since this is the case. Isn't there going to be anything specific to ANH? And if there is is it going to be just repacks?

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Well the first Anniversary figures (clones and stuff) will probably hit later this year, so that leaves plenty of 2007 open for a lot of ANH figures, so maybe a lot of figures on that list will become a reality. If we got Jerjerrod, we can certainly get Tagge. And we're long overdue for new versions of Luke and Han in Stormtrooper Gear.

bigbarada
07-20-2006, 06:55 PM
The only thing I would like to see for the 30th anniversay would be more VOTC/VSTC style figures.

Maybe for ANH they could make a "fantasy wave," in other words, figures that never made it onto the 1978 SW card, but really should have:

Grand Moff Tarkin
Han Stormtrooper
Luke Stormtrooper
SA TIE Fighter Pilot
Sandtrooper (I know we just got a Sandtrooper, but it seems like the clones are never going to stop, so why should these?)
Cantina Band Member
Uncle Owen
Aunt Beru
Dr. Evazan

Or if they want to continue with the remakes:
Soft goods Jawa
Grey-suited "Death Squad Commander"
Silver Death Star Droid
Walrusman

For ESB and ROTJ there are plenty of figures that could really use the VOTC treatment:

ESB:
SA Bossk
4-LOM & Zuckuss (both with the "proper" incorrect names)
Bespin Luke (not dirty or battle damaged, we've had plenty of those)
Hoth Leia

ROTJ:
SA Jedi Luke (already rumored from what I understand)
Endor Leia
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket (the new Chief Chirpa really raised the bar)
Emperor Palpatine

If Hasbro wanted to continue the "fantasy wave" theme:

Slave Leia on a vintage style ROTJ card
Removable helmet Vader on vintage ROTJ card

Devo
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Not a bad idea. Vintage figures that never were. Why not. It'd be impossible to do an SA slave Leia though. They could do up a new 80s style card for her alright but the New Vintage figures have 2 main selling points - a slave Leia could only meet one of these. Still I'd buy these. Although I never saw firsthand any Vintage cards the new lines have really given me an appreciation of them. In fact were they to become standard again I'd rather that than the new crap we're getting in 07. Of course its lucky this won't be the case otherwise I might become a completist, buying every crappy repack just to get the card. But as a short-term thing I think its a good idea. It allows for an SA DSII Luke.

bigbarada
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I was going to say that Hasbro should rerelease Ephant Mon on a vintage ROTJ card; but I dont' think it's physically possible to get that monster on one of those cards.

I agree about the SA Slave Leia, she would crumble into pieces before you even got her out of the bubble.

Honestly, I don't think that Hasbro realizes the power that the vintage-style line has over those of us who grew up in the vintage days. I mean, personally if Hasbro were to take the VOTC Chewie, Stormtrooper, R2 and Boba Fett and repack them on replica Star Wars cards (versus the ROTJ cards), they would make another $40 off of me. I'm just that much of a sucker for this toy line.

Maybe they could do a "last-17" wave and we could get Yakface, Amamaman, EV-9D9, A-Wing Pilot, etc. on replica POTF cards. (It would also finally give us new versions of Lumat, Warok and Romba) Even if they were pegwarmers, it would be a beautiful site for those of us nostalgic for the vintage days.

Qui-Long Gone
07-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Honestly, I don't think that Hasbro realizes the power that the vintage-style line has over those of us who grew up in the vintage days. I mean, personally if Hasbro were to take the VOTC Chewie, Stormtrooper, R2 and Boba Fett and repack them on replica Star Wars cards (versus the ROTJ cards), they would make another $40 off of me. I'm just that much of a sucker for this toy line.

If you can spot another $40 can you pick me up those figures too?

bigbarada
07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
If you can spot another $40 can you pick me up those figures too?

:thumbsup: Sure, no problem buddy!

:sur:

Now we just gotta get Hasbro to make them. :stupid:

DarkArtist
07-25-2006, 09:21 PM
My thoughts on the 30th anniversary were for Hasbro to really make some amazing figures like deluxe versions that were around $10 - $15 bucks a pop depending on what they came with. For instance:

Rebel Technician with Tactical Briefing Display. Basically the holo-projector in ROTJ with the holo of Endor and the Death Star.

Emperor Palpatine with Throne and desk. figure would be exactly like he appears in ROTS, and the throne could double for a possible Death Star Throne.

Luke Skywalker Endor Confrontation. I know we are getting one in the Saga collection but I am talking the ultimate version. Complete with damaged speeder bike, soft goods cloak and vest (for the DSII Duel), lightsaber and extra hilt, removable helmet, and binders.

just some thoughts. I look forward to what Hasbro has in store and can't wait to get my hands on the tin sets as well as the marvel sets.

Banthaholic
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM

Maybe they could do a "last-17" wave and we could get Yakface, Amamaman, EV-9D9, A-Wing Pilot, etc. on replica POTF cards. (It would also finally give us new versions of Lumat, Warok and Romba) Even if they were pegwarmers, it would be a beautiful site for those of us nostalgic for the vintage days.
I agree with you on both fronts, first I'd buy the vintagesque on the other cardbacks. I just love the way they display and can't afford all variations of the original vintage releases.

Now for the last 17. How about Sim Aloo. Sure he'd warm the pegs, but I'd be all over it. Maybe make him the 'mailaway' offer. Or even a SA sotrmie Luke would be nice. Though not in this category I really want the Power Droid. That card front is my all-time favorite and we haven't seen that particular droid in the new era yet, though $10 might be a bit steep for him, but I'd buy it :)

TheDarthVader
07-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree. I'd buy every figure that Hasbro stuck on a replica vintage card.

maatu
07-30-2006, 04:48 PM
it really ticks me off and i agree with everything said here. hasbro blew it on the 30th anniversary figures. we need 30 figures that have been done and not done before. some with votc style articulation and other's with just a little. i am tired of clones. we have clones that were not even in any of the movies coming out. blue ,green ,yellow, orange ,red, purple. when does the pink hit. lets get back to the really important characters. it's nice to have these figures. But there just programmed soldier.star wars is not about some clone trooper.
i want probably the same characters as most as everybody else i want votc han solo and luke skywalker storm trooper figures. with lots of articulation. also a chewie like the votc one. not the reused and really reused mechanic one. get rid of that mold. there areso many characters that can be done. But were getting the same old crap for 2007. with a couple of suprises.I will probably pass on half of the figures. they can collect dust on the pegs.

TheCivilCollector
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I think that what Hasbro needs to do is to start a "Lucasfilm" line of toys. Since it's also going to be Lucasfilm's 30th it would work. 3-4 figure sets and one or two vehicles each. Each different series is from a different movie, all in the same scale/sculpting style. Imagine being able to set up Indy, Han, Madmortigan, and THX in the same diorama.

Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Willow
THX 1138
American Graffiti
Howard the Duck
"Ewok" Movies
Captain EO (yes, I know, but there are cool character besides MJ)
Star Tours (repackage them)
Young Indiana Jones
Tucker
Labyrinth

Tell me that wouldn't be fun.