PDA

View Full Version : Question about a few major characters

El Chuxter
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I posted this under the Qui-Gon thread in Dear Hasbro, but hopefully it'll get more attention here. I just want to make sure my facts are straight before I ask the Hasbro reps why, if they claim to want to keep the major characters available, there are some gaping holes in their figure lines for the past few years:

Qui-Gon: Last figure was summer 2002. It was actually produced a year or so earlier. No figure in any Hasbro line since (though, curiously, one of the first Jedi Sideshow is producing.) No rumors for upcoming figures (new sculpts or rehashes), even in two Tatooine waves where he'd be at home. No figure exists on par with current production values.

Mace Windu: No gimmick-free figure since May 1999 (my assumption is that the upcoming Battle Pack looks to include a gimmicky rehash of the ROTS figure). No gimmick-free figures produced that are accurate to AOTC or ROTS.

Jar Jar Binks (yes, I'm serious): No figure produced since May 2002, none rumored for the future (even for Galactic Heroes, where he seems an obvious choice). At least one Senate outfit never produced. No figure exists on par with current production values. Given the rarity of the original release, "Swimming" Jar Jar from 2000 would be an obvious choice for a recarded figure, if they want to go that route.

Jango Fett: No gimmick-free figure produced since spring 2002, and the one gimmick-free figure is pre-posed in a battle stance that's not at all versatile. No figure exists on par with current production values. They have re-released gimmicky AOTC figures ad nauseum, though an ideal armored Jango could easily be made by kitbashing the VOTC Fett with some parts from existing Jango figures and possibly the ROTS Evolutions Clonetrooper.

Please, correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these.

jedi master sal
07-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I posted this under the Qui-Gon thread in Dear Hasbro, but hopefully it'll get more attention here. I just want to make sure my facts are straight before I ask the Hasbro reps why, if they claim to want to keep the major characters available, there are some gaping holes in their figure lines for the past few years:

Qui-Gon: Last figure was summer 2002. It was actually produced a year or so earlier. No figure in any Hasbro line since (though, curiously, one of the first Jedi Sideshow is producing.) No rumors for upcoming figures (new sculpts or rehashes), even in two Tatooine waves where he'd be at home. No figure exists on par with current production values.

Mace Windu: No gimmick-free figure since May 1999 (my assumption is that the upcoming Battle Pack looks to include a gimmicky rehash of the ROTS figure). No gimmick-free figures produced that are accurate to AOTC or ROTS.

Jar Jar Binks (yes, I'm serious): No figure produced since May 2002, none rumored for the future (even for Galactic Heroes, where he seems an obvious choice). At least one Senate outfit never produced. No figure exists on par with current production values. Given the rarity of the original release, "Swimming" Jar Jar from 2000 would be an obvious choice for a recarded figure, if they want to go that route.

Jango Fett: No gimmick-free figure produced since spring 2002, and the one gimmick-free figure is pre-posed in a battle stance that's not at all versatile. No figure exists on par with current production values. They have re-released gimmicky AOTC figures ad nauseum, though an ideal armored Jango could easily be made by kitbashing the VOTC Fett with some parts from existing Jango figures and possibly the ROTS Evolutions Clonetrooper.

Please, correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these.

I think you're good there. I'm itching for a SA Jango and Qui-gon. (as well as an SA Obi-wan from TPM.

I see no reason for Hasbro to shun those characters. SA anything is usually going to sell very well. Certainly the three I mentioned. Heck repaint the VOTC Fett as Jango (with some slight modifications) and I'd be very happy.

Qui-gon needs to have an Unleashed figure too. Not the small scale either but the 7" tall original scale! Same with Obi-wan. Heck it's been rumored we are getting a second pose Unleashed Maul, so Qui and Obi would go great with him. Maybe have bases that interconnect.

Good luck and go get 'em Chux!!!

Dark Marble
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
This all seems to be right to me. I think these characters fall into the same category as Lando. I just read somewhere recently a question and answer session about Lando. Basically it went something like we know Lando is a cool character and that people like him, but no one really buys him. The example was the VOTC Lando was really the only vintage figure left on pegs.

I like every one of the characters you listed and would love to see good updates of them like they deserve. But anything Episode I that isn't Maul has a stigma attached to it, a Jango will never get made over a Boba, and honestly I don't think there has ever been any love for Mace. He is my favorite of the new trilogy and most of the figures made of him are "experimental." But I am with you, I would take a new updated sculpt of all of these.

Slicker
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
As much as I don't like Jango he'd be one of the easiest figures to do in SA since, like JMS stated, they could just use the VOTC Fett.

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Qui-Gon: Last figure was summer 2002. It was actually produced a year or so earlier. No figure in any Hasbro line since (though, curiously, one of the first Jedi Sideshow is producing.) No rumors for upcoming figures (new sculpts or rehashes), even in two Tatooine waves where he'd be at home. No figure exists on par with current production values.This is not a major character in the saga, he's in 1 movie, he dies, that's it. It's possibly the least-popular Star Wars movie. I'm not surprised Hasbro doesn't show him more love.

Mace Windu: No gimmick-free figure since May 1999 (my assumption is that the upcoming Battle Pack looks to include a gimmicky rehash of the ROTS figure). No gimmick-free figures produced that are accurate to AOTC or ROTS.Gimmicks are for kids in Hasbro's thinking, and kids are the reason why major characters are important. There's currently a Mace Windu figure on shelves.

Jar Jar Binks (yes, I'm serious): No figure produced since May 2002, none rumored for the future (even for Galactic Heroes, where he seems an obvious choice). At least one Senate outfit never produced. No figure exists on par with current production values. Given the rarity of the original release, "Swimming" Jar Jar from 2000 would be an obvious choice for a recarded figure, if they want to go that route.What I said about Qui-Gon goes for Jar Jar as well, he's not a major saga character, and he's only featured prominently in the least-popular SW movie. Jar Jar was one of the worst pegwarmers of all time... TWICE! For Ep 1 and 2! So it's no surprise that we're not seeing him again.

Jango Fett: No gimmick-free figure produced since spring 2002, and the one gimmick-free figure is pre-posed in a battle stance that's not at all versatile. No figure exists on par with current production values. They have re-released gimmicky AOTC figures ad nauseum, though an ideal armored Jango could easily be made by kitbashing the VOTC Fett with some parts from existing Jango figures and possibly the ROTS Evolutions Clonetrooper.Not a major saga character, only featured in 1 film, but honestly, he's got Fettitude, fans love Fett, kids love Fett, there's no reason not to have a good Jango Fett right now (of course, there's no reason not to have a good BOBA Fett right now either, but we haven't seen one since the VOTC figure). Of all the characters you named, this is the one I really think they need to update the soonest.

Kidhuman
07-19-2006, 04:44 PM
I want a Damn Qui-Gon now!!!!!

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
I want a Damn Qui-Gon now!!!!!

Make that two!!!!!

Although JT makes good arguments why TPM gets not action figure love, there were still some great characters (written into a poorly developed story)....

And cane we please bet a Darth Maul who can fight Obi and Qui? If ever there was a character who needs SA it's the short-lived Maul....

Throw in a redux of the Jedi Council on that list too....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Make that two!!!!!

Although JT makes good arguments why TPM gets not action figure love, there were still some great characters (written into a poorly developed story)....

And cane we please bet a Darth Maul who can fight Obi and Qui? If ever there was a character who needs SA it's the short-lived Maul....

Throw in a redux of the Jedi Council on that list too....
There's already an SA Maul in the 2005 Evolutions set. Apparently nobody remembers that one, though, since an SA Maul was on the Toy Fare top 25 poll.

Also, an un-gimmicked Mace came with the first Jedi Council set a few years back. It has quite a few shortcomings but it's one of the best Maces.

Even though these characters weren't "major" in the overall saga, they were fairly major in their respective films. I would love new versions of every figure you mentioned, especially Qui-Gon, who always gets overlooked.

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 05:44 PM
There's already an SA Maul in the 2005 Evolutions set. Apparently nobody remembers that one, though, since an SA Maul was on the Toy Fare top 25 poll.

How did Maul fair in the Evolutions set? Couldn't find them and Dooku and Palps weren't looking too inviting....

General_Grievous
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
We definitely need a new Qui-Gon and Jango Fett. And for that matter, we also need a new AOTC Boba Fett. The one we have now is terrible.

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 06:17 PM
We definitely need a new Qui-Gon and Jango Fett. And for that matter, we also need a new AOTC Boba Fett. The one we have now is terrible.

In the new Jango can we get the removeable helmet but not have the visible neck skin when he has the helmet on?

*New AOTC Boba...with a sinister grin....

El Chuxter
07-19-2006, 07:09 PM
QLG, I'd recommend getting that Evolutions set if you can find it. There were some hanging around here up until six months ago or so. It's the definitive Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul. The Dooku's no slouch, either.

jjreason
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
He's in one movie. He dies. That's it.

Jeez, JT. That's harsh - and would sum up the role of Darth Maul a LOT more than it does the role of Qui Gon Jinn, who's decisions and actions in the Phantom Menace shaped the entire trilogy (and if you're into chronology - the whole Saga). Also, Liam Neeson was outstanding in what most consider the weakest Star Wars movie - I can't imagine anyone finding true fault with that performance. A new QGJ figure is desparately needed - and I'd truly be hopeful he could be included in some new form of Evolutions pack down the road.

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
I want a Damn Qui-Gon now!!!!!Throw a fit, Hasbro responds so well to that. ;)

Jeez, JT. That's harsh - and would sum up the role of Darth Maul a LOT more than it does the role of Qui Gon JinnYeah, and we're really drowning in Darth Mauls too, we've had what, 1 in the past 3 years? (Plus the Evolutions one, which is the only new mold version since 2002 I might add, which is when we last saw a new Qui-Gon mold (albeit a crappy one). The end result is that Qui-Gon is not a crucial character to be remade at this point, we haven't seen him in 7 years, he's not visually iconic, as nice as it would be to have it, it's not a vital addition.

figrin bran
07-19-2006, 09:59 PM
JT, nothing personal but i'm sure a lot of the people posting in this thread are glad you don't work for hasbro! :p

yes, i want to be in the "need a new qui gon" club as well.

jjreason
07-19-2006, 10:31 PM
It's not about visuals for me. To me, Qui Gon is the consumate Jedi - true enough to the order to be great at his job and respected by his piers, but not blinded by the romantic nature of his work in any way. He sees problems, and is not afraid to speak his mind. "Visually iconic" be damned, he "character-ally iconic". :p

This just in - there WILL BE A QUI-GON JINN figure included in the Commemortative Tin for TPM :yay: .....

... but, sadly, it's a re-release of the final "Soft Goods" version from the TPM line, with a new cloth cloak. :boo:

Slicker
07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
They're made and re-released how many Jangos? And he probably had less screen time and definitely less speaking. So why make him so often? Wait...what's that? Oh, yeah. Fanboys.:rolleyes:

Devo
07-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Much as I think the prequels are sub-Star Wars I agree with El Chuxter's point. These characters with exception of Jar Jar deserve more than just rehashes of older outdated figures. With Jar Jar I think the 1999 figures were pretty much adequate and I base this objectively on the sculpts - not merely that I hate the character. I'd replace him with Obi-wan on the list. He has no truly good TPM or AOTC figures and this is a ridiculous state of affairs. Although played by different actors he has 3 more films of screentime than Luke Skywalker! So why is there only 1 good prequel Obi-wan?? Why was there no Obi-wan Evolutions set? I just can't fathom why Hasbro will only rehash old 1999 Obi-wans and pointblankly refused to make a good AOTC figure back when that was the most recent new film.

And I agree that Qui-gon was the highpoint of Episode I, possibly even of the entire prequel trilogy come to think of it. Why is he not good enough for anything other than rehashes these days?

Mace Windu, laughably, had 2, for the time, good figures back in 1999 and now after having lightsaber combat in the following 2 films has inexplicably never been done any justice. You'd think the lightsaber fighting would be some kind of incentive to make a proper figure of him but evidently not. I personally thought he was a crap character in the films but he does have a following. I have no idea whats going through Hasbro's collective heads when they just keep repacking that POS ape figure.

TheRealDubya
07-20-2006, 11:18 AM
This just in - there WILL BE A QUI-GON JINN figure included in the Commemortative Tin for TPM :yay: .....

... but, sadly, it's a re-release of the final "Soft Goods" version from the TPM line, with a new cloth cloak. :boo:

I was just going to say the same thing: it looks like many of these characters are getting re-hased for the tins:

http://www.rebelscum.com/sdcc06/preview-Hasbro/image29.asp