PDA

View Full Version : Where's my freaking lightsaber?

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Why did Luke visit Jaba without his light saber?

Obi ranted on Anakin, "this weapon is your life...." And it wasn't like Luke got frisked at the door (hell he choked the gaurds)....

Wouldn't it have made more sense to crack out the blade than wast a move force pulling a gun giving Jaba time to hit the trap?

El Chuxter
07-19-2006, 05:18 PM
No. Luke wanted to give Jabba every opportunity to negotiate. He also knew he'd likely be searched by the guards and wanted to keep his saber as an ace in the hole.

Kidhuman
07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Because he pre-meditated murder by concealing it in R2. We completely went the way of the Sith and his dad by slaughtering the people that hurt his friends.

Banthaholic
07-19-2006, 07:08 PM
He lost it to R2 in a game of sabbac. Though he had a long-running bet with R2 that he'd be able to perform a handpring with 180 degree rotaion in the pike position off of Jabba's Diving board. Luke said he'd do it, R2 said no. So when Luke began to performe this high degree of dificulty dive R2 gave it back to Luke.

Slicker
07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Why did Luke visit Jaba without his light saber?

Obi ranted on Anakin, "this weapon is your life...." And it wasn't like Luke got frisked at the door (hell he choked the gaurds)....

Wouldn't it have made more sense to crack out the blade than wast a move force pulling a gun giving Jaba time to hit the trap?He didn't have it because he knew Jabba wouldn't bargain and he didn't want to risk losing it. Had he had it and used it on Jabba Han, Chewie, and Leia would've been dead before he could've rescued them thus nullifying his purpose for being there. I'm sure Luke knew full well what Jabba would do with them once he was caught and wanted to get the Hutt out of his palace.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
From the look on his face, Luke had a 50-50 guess that his mind trick would work, so he thought that could be his main weapon. And he knew there'd obviously be other weapons available.

But the real reason is he forgot it.
Luke: "New black scary Jedi outfit? Check. Map to Jabba's palace? Check. Uh, I guess that's it." (whistles as he walks along)

Qui-Long Gone
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
He didn't have it because he knew Jabba wouldn't bargain and he didn't want to risk losing it. Had he had it and used it on Jabba Han, Chewie, and Leia would've been dead before he could've rescued them thus nullifying his purpose for being there. I'm sure Luke knew full well what Jabba would do with them once he was caught and wanted to get the Hutt out of his palace.

How would he loose it?

Did he know full well he'd fall into the Ranco pit and really be screwed? He got lucky he survived that one sans saber....

At the sarlac Luke pretty much ended up in a scenario where he had to do most of the work anyways....Lando spent it trying not to fall in, Han spent it blind and Chewie spent it saving Lando...

Slicker
07-20-2006, 11:02 AM
How would he loose it?

I should've said having it taken away. He was a known Jedi so it was probably thought he had a saber. If someone had tried to take it from him then he would've started slicing and the captives would've died. It was in his best interest to come in unprotected and non-threatening so as to convey a sense of calm.

Qui-Long Gone
07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I should've said having it taken away. He was a known Jedi so it was probably thought he had a saber. If someone had tried to take it from him then he would've started slicing and the captives would've died. It was in his best interest to come in unprotected and non-threatening so as to convey a sense of calm.

I still can't get past the importance of what Obi said to Anakin about the saber....

No one was going to try and take his saber from him if they really believed he was a Jedi...(which I don't think anyone took that serious except maybe Jabba)...

Also, if he would have started slicing, it's hard to say the captives would have been in any more danger than they were at the Sarlac...after all, Chewie and Han were in cells and Lando could have ambushed several of Hutt's croonies....

Slicker
07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I still can't get past the importance of what Obi said to Anakin about the saber....Yes, but a Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack. He had no need to attack in the palace as he really didn't know how things would go. Out over the sarlaac attack was his only DEFENSE.

No one was going to try and take his saber from him if they really believed he was a Jedi...(which I don't think anyone took that serious except maybe Jabba)...They knew that he was friends with Solo et al and that he was thinking about rescuing them (why else would he just pop in) so they naturally would've thought he'd have at least a gun.

Also, if he would have started slicing, it's hard to say the captives would have been in any more danger than they were at the Sarlac...after all, Chewie and Han were in cells and Lando could have ambushed several of Hutt's croonies....At least at the sarlaac they were out in the open with more range of motion for Luke's saber. In Jabba's palace he could easily have been over run if, for anything else, his lack of knowledge of the palace.

As for Han and Chewie I'm sure they were well guarded and, given the word, the guards would've killed them before Luke could even think of getting near enough to rescue them.

2-1B
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Because he pre-meditated murder by concealing it in R2. We completely went the way of the Sith and his dad by slaughtering the people that hurt his friends.

Hilarious. lol

At least he TRIED to bargain ("I seek an audience with your greatness to bargain for Solo's life") in the first place.

I guess helping your friends is murder, then, and not justifiable defense. :confused:

Kidhuman
07-20-2006, 05:16 PM
No, it is not justifiable. He ius a Jedi and he thought out the whole process buy sticking his saber in R2's dome. He knew what it would come too and put himself in that situation.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 02:00 AM
You must not think the police are justified in killing bad guys who hold people captive.

Jargo
07-21-2006, 01:17 PM
he's got Obi-wan the ghost and Yoda whispering to him so they surely would have foreseeen the future and passed on valuable tips. it was all pre-arranged or else why would leia and chewbacca and lando be there. why would C-3po and R2 be there. They hadn't banked on jabba's new pet but there again they would have known of jabba's liking for dangerous creatures and pitting prisoners and enemies against them.
leia messed up freeing han from the carbonite. or did she. was that also part of the plan to get as close to Jabba as possible? a task she undertook for the sake of the man she loved.
The saber thing is obviously planned. just look at the salute Luke gives to R2 as the code to shoot the saber hilt into the air. Luke had engineered the open air battle in some way in his mind. he knew he'd have to fight his way out. he knew he'd have to get the others out too. hence lando having infiltrated the palace guard before any of the others getting there. Chewbacca as a willing captive bait. risky. especially with the yiny stature of Leia in the Boushh outfit. just distraction. Thrrepio is there to ensure R2 gets where he needs to be.

Luke, R2, Leia, Lando, Chewie all know what's going down. Threepio and Han are the only two who don't. The plan was probably rough and sketchy but works because it plays on jabba's love of torture and his ego. it plays on the stupidity of the palace guards and courtiers.

And at the end of the of the day it's a contrived plot passage. action sequences and heroic moments. It frees Han for the next chapter and lets lando attone for his sins. it binds the hero group together again. allows the magnificent seven to venture on and tackle the bigger threat of the empire having dealt with the minor trouble of a pesky crime lord.

Qui-Long Gone
07-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Guess Luke never really trusted the effectiveness of the saber (except for the proverbial 'agressive negotiations')....after all he did chuck it again when facing off with the Emperor....good thing Yoda gave him that memo about the Emperor's lighting bolts....

Jargo
07-21-2006, 05:44 PM
haha. Jedi memo's, like voices from beyond the grave. I suppose it makes them mediums really.

Luke: Wait, I'm getting something - Quiet John, anyone know a John that was known as quiet? Quiet john jim.

Vader: Me, yes I know him! Qui-Gon Jinn. Now there's a name I've not heard since...... Stop distracting me and pick up your saber you idiot.

Qui-Long Gone
07-21-2006, 07:01 PM
haha. Jedi memo's, like voices from beyond the grave. I suppose it makes them mediums really.

Luke: Wait, I'm getting something - Quiet John, anyone know a John that was known as quiet? Quiet john jim.

Vader: Me, yes I know him! Qui-Gon Jinn. Now there's a name I've not heard since...... Stop distracting me and pick up your saber you idiot.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :D :D :D

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2006, 09:39 AM
...good thing Yoda gave him that memo about the Emperor's lighting bolts....Why do you think Luke looks at his hand just after he's cut off Vader's hand.

Luke glances at his hand and sees: "bolts = fetal position" or "Palpatine = bad, Vader = kinda good."