PDA

View Full Version : What did the sandtroopers do to Owen and Beru?

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Can blaster fire really burn away that much flesh? Were the sandtroopers packing flamethrowers? Did a thermal detonator go off? Or did Beru just leave the oven on? ;)

DarthQuack
07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I guess we'll never know.....unless George tells us someday.

Slicker
07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Hmmm...good question. I've never really thought about it but it's quite perplexing. I guess they flamed the home and Owen and Beru were in it and got caught up in it. My question would be how did they get outside though? And what burned so fast that when Luke got there they were just skeletons?

2-1B
07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
What Slick said about flaming.

They were probably ablaze inside the place and stumbled out on fire. :(

I figure there was a passage of time between the attack on the jawas, the attack on the homestead, and Luke's connecting the dots.

Jargo
07-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok so the death star super laser can destroy a planet. the stormies blaster obviously have several settings like stun, kill etc. if a few stormies were concentrating their firepower on the couple then i'm sure it could quite feasibly have burned them. Or they had some larger weapon. the damage to the sandcrawler was quite significant and not the sort of damage you'd expect from hand held blaster either. perhaps they used the cannons on an AT-ST or one of those portable cannons we see the snowtroopers use.

But as we already saw with leia, the imperials aren't above torture. it's possible they simple used liquid/gel fuel and set the couple aflame.

To me the scene has always been a sort of representation of reported events in the vietnam war. napalm and the like. I'm sure in 1975 when george was sitting down to begin writing the vietnam war was still really fresh in everyones minds having just ended. Perhaps he came up with the notion in notes written during the nam war.

Slicker
07-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Ok so the death star super laser can destroy a planet. the stormies blaster obviously have several settings like stun, kill etc. if a few stormies were concentrating their firepower on the couple then i'm sure it could quite feasibly have burned them. Or they had some larger weapon. the damage to the sandcrawler was quite significant and not the sort of damage you'd expect from hand held blaster either. perhaps they used the cannons on an AT-ST or one of those portable cannons we see the snowtroopers use.I've read (hence it's PU EU) that one of the Lambda class shuttles laid waste to the sandcrawler (the lambda class is the shuttle seen taking off from the desert when they find the pod)

Kidhuman
07-20-2006, 06:28 PM
They took a huge magnifying glass and burned the home down.

Jargo
07-20-2006, 07:47 PM
I've read (hence it's PU EU) that one of the Lambda class shuttles laid waste to the sandcrawler (the lambda class is the shuttle seen taking off from the desert when they find the pod)

Lamda class is what vader's shuttle was and the Emperor's. I thought the landing craft was a different class?

In TROOPS the spoof movie, they used a landing craft. I'm pretty sure. which seemed to make sense as there was a dirty great star destroyer above tatooine and a garrison of troopers on the planet. I've often thought it would be cool to have an AT-ST wandering around in the background of the panoramic Mos Eisley shots. Or a vehicle of that nature like an AT-PT. Something that really gives the impression of an Imperial presense there. rather than a few random troopers. and a few commandeered dewback.

Jargo
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
And really anything that explains any part of the movies that isn't specifically mentioned by characters is EU. If you actually go through the movies there's very few characters referenced by name by other characters. ships and vehicles are hardly ever called by name. So technically even the movie credits are EU. :)

Slicker
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
And really anything that explains any part of the movies that isn't specifically mentioned by characters is EU. If you actually go through the movies there's very few characters referenced by name by other characters. ships and vehicles are hardly ever called by name. So technically even the movie credits are EU. :)Damn you for pointing out my wrongness. It's the Sentinel class (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sentinel-class_landing_craft).

Jargo
07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Thrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp :p

That description of the landing craft states that it carries tons of cargo. 36 speeder bikes in a vehicle only 20 meters long? doesn't add up to me. but hmmm. hasbro should make one. it's chuffing cool.

Rocketboy
07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, after Luke disappeared, Owen and Beru got into a bit of a scuffle. The Stormtroopers showed up and calmed things down. When Beru went inside to pack a bag for the night she came out with a thermal detonator. And when Owen tried to stop her, it went off.

:D

bobafrett
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, remember when Luke is making his way through the cloud city and an Imperial takes a few shots at him. As Luke walks by one of the blast areas on the wall you can see a small flame, and that's on a wall.. Imagine what all of the clothes/robes Uncle Owen was wearing caught flame, it would be like kindling, and Owen and Beru bacame the meat on the barbacue.

Luuuuuuke
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
What Slick said about flaming.

Owen and Beru logged on to Rebelscum and they were flamed mercilessly just like everyone else. Now you know the awful truth.

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, remember when Luke is making his way through the cloud city and an Imperial takes a few shots at him. As Luke walks by one of the blast areas on the wall you can see a small flame, and that's on a wall
I thought Boba Fett shot at Luke. He carries a blaster that's more powerful than the Imperial standard issue, doesn't he?

kool-aid killer
07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
The Sandtroopers busted a laser cap in their butts. Probably more than one which is why they are toasted. I imagine it was done drive by style, on banthas, yelling "Utinnnniii!!!" to cast suspicion towards the Jawas should anybody hear anything...

Turbowars
07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
They took a huge magnifying glass and burned the home down.See that's what I always thought.:pleased:

Jargo
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
well whatever happened obviusly it was painful judging by the way the skeletons are posed in agonised positions. Still, burning up a couple of innocent homesteaders seems a little harsh. sure shooting them is bad enough as punishment for refusing to divulge the whereabouts of the droids and Luke but burning them to a charred crisp is actually one of the most horrific images in the entire saga. Maybe the imperials treated them to a vacation on mustafar and showed them how Owen's step brother fared there.

Incidentally, one of those skeletons was re-used as the bones that lie at the feet of Amanaman in Jabba's throne room.

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Beru had a rare form of a Coruscanti STD. Her hormones set her ablaze and Owen, who was laying next to her also caught fire. She ran out of the house in total embarrassment and horror and Owen ran after her demanding to know how she caught the STD. Troopers, who had just arrived at the homestead, were caught by surprise as the two flaming bodies emerged from the doorway. Two of the troopers fired on them, which caused them to fall to the ground. After realising what had happened, the troopers had a good laugh and had a drink at Chalmun's cantina over at Mos Eisley. End of story.

Kidhuman
07-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Anyone believe spontaneous combustion.

Jargo
07-21-2006, 06:49 PM
maybe yardies came by and threw acid on them?

bobafrett
07-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I thought Boba Fett shot at Luke. He carries a blaster that's more powerful than the Imperial standard issue, doesn't he?

He may have. I didn't watch the scene to well, I just get caught up in the action. But then perhaps Boba Fett was hired by the troops/Empire to Kill off Owen and Beru

Jargo
07-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Fett fires his rappel line. or grappling hook line. whichever it is. then luke cuts through that and as fett is about to fire again luke slices through the gun barrel. it's someone on the second skiff or sail barge that shoots lukes hand. and that's like a small thing given that the damage is pretty much surface only. I mean luke pulls on a glove and carries on using his hand so it can't be that bad.

Qui-Long Gone
07-22-2006, 09:47 AM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Luuuuuuke
07-22-2006, 11:23 AM
The Sandtroopers probably shot the gas line on Owen and Beru's stove, causing a huge explosion that blew their butts out of the house.

Qui-Long Gone
07-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Isn't it possible that wasn't Owen and Beru...did Luke know what their skeletons looked like? Maybe they were two (insert religious group that sends pairs of missionaries to knock on your door) or Avon/Tupperware peddlers who were in the wrong place during the interrogation....and Owen and Beru were subsequently taken to the Death Star for further questioning only to be blasted in Luke's X-wing clutch shot at the end of ANH?

Jargo
07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
you're twisted. I like you.

Kidhuman
07-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Maybe blue milk is flammable

Devo
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
I've always figured they just shot them dead and then set them on fire. Don't believe this negative propaganda about the sadism of Imperial troops, all this talk of torture and the like. They're fair and straightforward executioners.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I had heard that Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen actually participated in a ritualistic suicide, a la the Buddhists of Saigon during the early 1960's. It appears that Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen somehow previewed the entire Prequel trilogy, and were so appalled at the storylines, dialogue, horrible acting and silly characters, they had agreed that it was best to end their lives, then endure the ridicule and humiliation of being associated with any part of it. Also, Aunt Beru saw the woman who was to play her in the Prequels was part canine, so she immediatley grabbed some type of fuel, coaxed her husband to join her, went outside, and viola, self-immolation.

2-1B
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Aurra Sing dressed up as a Tusken Raider and torched them. Just like in AOTC, how she abducted Anakin's mom to lure him to the dark side, that's what she was trying to do to Luke in ANH.

Luuuuuuke
07-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Isn't it possible that wasn't Owen and Beru...did Luke know what their skeletons looked like?

:D Luke: "What the hell??? These aren't Owen and Beru! I've seen their skeletons and these ain't it, man!"

I'm buying your missionary, tupperware, Avon theory. :thumbsup:

Jargo
07-23-2006, 03:02 PM
and viola, self-immolation.

how very shakespearian.

Maybe (being Australians playing roles formerly played by americans) they were throwing another grub on the barbie and the fuel tank cyclinder exploded setting alight their bone dry clothing. the extreme heat and pain caused them to pass out leaving them lying there as we see them and allowing the flames to consume them searing their flesh frome the bone. Had Owen not complained about Beru's cooking the night before he'd have been tucking into more glorious mash slop. but instead Beru took umbrage and went on strike meaning Owen had to cook that day....

seanmcfripp
07-25-2006, 07:05 PM

I do, even though it's not that widely reported.

For the record though, Owen and Beru did not spontaneously combust, for had they, only two green globules would have remained. Or maybe the green globule thing only happens when you spontaneously combust whilst sitting on a drum throne. Hard to be sure.

Perhaps they could have died in a bizarre gardening accident, one of those cases which I'm sure the authorities would have felt just be best left unsolved.

Or maybe they choked on vomit, not their own necessarily. It's still rather hard to dust for vomit, even in this day and age.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 01:52 AM
but sean, as long as there's still sex and drugs, Mick could probably do without the rock and roll.

seanmcfripp
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
but sean, as long as there's still sex and drugs, Mick could probably do without the rock and roll.

Have a good time all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty. :D

2-1B
07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
"probably work with children."
-Derek Smalls on what he would do post-music career.

:D

Jargo
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Of course! It was the blue milk. Had luke drunk all his, he too would have exploded. This explains why he wimps out during the battle with the tusken raider, he's feeling a little bit ill and his reactions are slowed. then he passes out. he only sipped the blue milk but owen and beru drank all theirs. and both had their fleshy parts explode off their skeletons. It was Anakin you see? being on the star destroyer he realised he was near his mothers burial spot and took a shuttle down to the homestead, upon meeting up with owen and beru he poisoned their blue milk to teach them a lesson for not putting more effort into finding his mother all those years ago.............

So it was Vader. Had to have been.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Perhaps they were paid a visit by her?

El Chuxter
07-29-2006, 12:17 AM
If I were paid a visit from Drew Barrymore (several years older, of course), I might spontaneously combust. :beard:

Jargo
07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
really? a former drug addled skank? used goods matey. just say no.......