PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight (New Batman film)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
And hey, even Kevin Smith liked X3. Especially over Superman Retreads.

And kevin smith made "Jersey Girl" and thinks that the "Watchmen" film was awesome, even with the changes (and yes, the flick isn't out yet, but...ah, just go to that thread. lol). So: Kevin Smith obviously has lapses in judgment and plus, WTF do I care what he thinks? Like he's the King Geek, so what he says goes? C'mon dude. Just messin' with you. :p

I will agree with you that the bonus stuff should be cool. I plan to watch it over the weekend or so. :thumbsup:

Beast
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
He kinda is King Geek. ;)

And hey, like I said... maybe I'll like the film better the second time around.

Batman Begins has somewhat grown on me. So stranger things could happen.

Tycho
12-10-2008, 02:42 AM
I showed this to an older friend who had never seen this movie before.

He loved it. I bet he buys a copy for himself. He thinks he owns the first Nolan-Bale-Batman movie.

In watching it again, I remembered how much I love this film - it is still my favorite movie and I want to watch it again - even now!

Ledger
Eckhart
Freeman
Oldman
Caines

Bale

and this movie kicks $$$!

"Here we go!"

I saw this film once with Slicker and once with JediTricks, in addition to the times I saw it in the theater with several others. Every time it was an enjoyable experience. An added plus was getting to enjoy it with some of my friends from our forums here.

JediTricks
12-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Walmart has an exclusive Harvey Dent / Two Face coin with there copy of the Dark Knight. my only gripe with the DVD so far is the lack of deleted scenes etc. i love seeing deleted / alternative scenes. still want the movie on DVD as this was one of the best Batman's ever. wondering if i should hold out awhile and get a blue ray DVD player and then get the movie or just break down and buy the DVD now and get a blue ray version at a later date.
Mother f'er! That's an awesome exclusive, Target's was a crappy bat-mask case similar to their Iron Man. For $5 extra, they can keep the half-cowl bullcrap. The Two-Face coin, I wish I had WM local, I ended up going to stupid Best Buy for the no-exclusive.

EDIT: WTF? I just looked this up, it's only for the DVD version, Blu-Ray not participating. Good call jerks. Oh, and they're offering that exclusive to their plebe customers in pan-n-scan as well, great thinking, because what this movie really benefits from is CUTTING OFF 40% OF THE FOOTAGE!!!!

So, I watched it, tried to access the BD-Live commentary for Nolan, bullcrap won't come up. I'm really unimpressed with BD-Live, it's pretty much as stupid as the DVD-ROM crap that was so big a few years ago, only more annoying because they intentionally hold features back for it. Movie looked great in my SDTV (I watched Batman Begins on Sunday on DVD, that movie looks horribly compressed because of the amount of black not getting picked up), you could actually see the bat-suit ever so slightly purple in a few shots (they do this because it usually picks up as black in the camera while true black gets messed up), audio mix was decent (bass overloaded my amp twice though, shut it down) up until the last scene where the music went into overdrive, disc-1 regular features seemed good though I didn't go into them much. Didn't watch disc-2 yet, didn't transfer the bonus digital SD version (packaging seems confused, says it expires today), and spent way too long trying to get BD-Live features to work only to be met with tiny trailers for other stuff, small semi-animated comics, and a few small documentaries.

Apparently, among the features not working for me at this point but supposedly available is that viewers can make and distribute their own commentaries. As my PS3 has a webcam, that means you guys could listen to me drone on and on about this scene and that, just like Tycho had to when he took me to the film during SDCC. :p

El Chuxter
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
He kinda is King Geek. ;)
I didn't vote for him. He's proven that he was a one-trick pony who got lucky. He's more Andrew Johnson than Abe Lincoln. It's time to impeach him. Vince Offer would make a better "King Geek," and I'm not even joking.

I ordered my copy of TDK online because it was cheaper, and I really don't care less what the cover looks like. Only the spine shows on the shelf, anyway. And I have nowhere to store garbage like toy coins. To be honest, I'm a little surprised folks still buy into the "useless freebie" shtick. Different if it's a decent freebie (like the Target extra disc with TMNT) or something you think might be usable but don't discover it sucks until you open it (like the Target "cookbook" with Pushing Daisies Season 1), but to know it's a dust-gatherer and buy it anyway...?

TheDarthVader
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Beast, I, for one, agree with you. I heard everyone talking about this movie while it was in theaters. "It's the best movie ever." "This is the best Batman movie ever." "Heath Ledger was perfect." Eh...? I waited for it to come out on DVD and watched it last night. One complaint I have of the movie is that they had developed Two-Face's character so well...and then...they kill him. ???? What!!? I liked him a lot; he was intriguing. Heath Ledger did a hell of a job, but I don't think it beats...say...Danny Devito's penguin. Now THAT was a perfect performance. That being said, I gave this movie 4 stars out of 5. Not bad, but everyone acted like it was a 6 out of 5. Nope, sorry. Not in my opinion.

Beast
12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Beast, I, for one, agree with you. I heard everyone talking about this movie while it was in theaters. "It's the best movie ever." "This is the best Batman movie ever." "Heath Ledger was perfect." Eh...? I waited for it to come out on DVD and watched it last night. One complaint I have of the movie is that they had developed Two-Face's character so well...and then...they kill him. ???? What!!? I liked him a lot; he was intriguing. Heath Ledger did a hell of a job, but I don't think it beats...say...Danny Devito's penguin. Now THAT was a perfect performance. That being said, I gave this movie 4 stars out of 5. Not bad, but everyone acted like it was a 6 out of 5. Nope, sorry. Not in my opinion.
I still prefer the Burton films. And Nicholson's Joker. He was more random and chaotic.

I think they failed to really capture the duality of Two-Face.

It was there in Batman Forever, but that film has other issues. Such as Jim "The Ham" Carrey. And I think the make-up was way too over the top. It took something that could have been horrific, and went so extreme that it was absurd and almost silly. Showing the bone and bulging eyeball and such just took me right out of the movie. Since it seemed absurd that he'd be walking around and not in a coma or screaming in constant agony. It would have worked better if they had pulled it back just a little bit.

preacher
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I still prefer the Burton films. And Nicholson's Joker. He was more random and chaotic.

It was there in Batman Forever, but that film has other issues. Such as Jim "The Ham" Carrey. And I think the make-up was way too over the top. It took something that could have been horrific, and went so extreme that it was absurd and almost silly. Showing the bone and bulging eyeball and such just took me right out of the movie. Since it seemed absurd that he'd be walking around and not in a coma or screaming in constant agony. It would have worked better if they had pulled it back just a little bit.

Huh. So you didn't like Eckhart's two face, but you didn't have a problem with the penguin in the burton movie? The cyborg penguins were acceptable? How about Tommy Lee Jones playing Grover - I mean Two face in Batman forever.

Carry was terrible as riddler. But Carry sucks. Period. He is just so flamboyant in his movies it masks his notrotious acting ability. Yeah he has had a handful of serious drama roles. And he did okay in those.

On a slightly different note. I picked up Brian Azarello's Joker Graghic Novel. Brian has a very interesting take on what Harley, Riddler, Penguin, and Croc would be like in a Nolan universe. I could see Scarlet Johansen, Johnny Dep, Tony Soprano, and Michael Duncan taking those respective roles easily. Really makes me curious to see who gets reimagined in the next one. The Riddler was the biggest shocker.

Beast
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Huh. So you didn't like Eckhart's two face, but you didn't have a problem with the penguin in the burton movie? The cyborg penguins were acceptable? How about Tommy Lee Jones playing Grover - I mean Two face in Batman forever.

Carry was terrible as riddler. But Carry sucks. Period. He is just so flamboyant in his movies it masks his notrotious acting ability. Yeah he has had a handful of serious drama roles. And he did okay in those.

On a slightly different note. I picked up Brian Azarello's Joker Graghic Novel. Brian has a very interesting take on what Harley, Riddler, Penguin, and Croc would be like in a Nolan universe. I could see Scarlet Johansen, Johnny Dep, Tony Soprano, and Michael Duncan taking those respective roles easily. Really makes me curious to see who gets reimagined in the next one. The Riddler was the biggest shocker.
Burton's Batman was never presented as a hyper-realized version of Gotham City.

And Penguin's deformaties weren't exactly so extreme that they'd be impossible. The fingers fusing together does actually happen in birth defects. The nose, well... it wouldn't be Penguin without a prominant nose. Now the black slime that poured from his mouth, yeah... that went too far in that case. But then, I was mostly comparing the two films (Burton's original and Nolan's sequel) with different incarnations of the Joker.

And I liked Tommy Lee Jones' version of Two-Face. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly played the duality aspect more than the Nolan version of Harvey did. Of course, neither film really did it all that well. The Animated Series version of Two-Face was a better version than both of them. The damage wasn't so extreme as to be laughable, and the duality was there.

preacher
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Burton's Batman was never presented as a hyper-realized version of Gotham City.

And Penguin's deformaties weren't exactly so extreme that they'd be impossible. The fingers fusing together does actually happen in birth defects. The nose, well... it wouldn't be Penguin without a prominant nose. Now the black slime that poured from his mouth, yeah... that went too far in that case. But then, I was mostly comparing the two films (Burton's original and Nolan's sequel) with different incarnations of the Joker.

And I liked Tommy Lee Jones' version of Two-Face. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly played the duality aspect more than the Nolan version of Harvey did. Of course, neither film really did it all that well. The Animated Series version of Two-Face was a better version than both of them. The damage wasn't so extreme as to be laughable, and the duality was there.

Well we can agree that the rogue roster from the animated series is superior to the Nolan and Burton universes. That other *** clown schumacher's universe just sucked. I just swallowed my vomit.

Beast
12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Well we can agree that the rogue roster from the animated series is superior to the Nolan and Burton universes. That other *** clown schumacher's universe just sucked. I just swallowed my vomit.
Forever has some redeeming qualities.

Batman & Robin is just craptastic in general.

El Chuxter
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Richard Moll outperformed both Tommy Lee Jones and Aaron Eckhart by miles. It's like comparing Vince Offer to Billy Mays.

Not to say they weren't awesome. Moll was just better. Whoever would've thunk that half-wit Bull Shannon would be such a great Two-Face?

Though I would love to see Tommy Lee Jones as a proper Two-Face, not as a mentally-challenged doofus who likes to flip coins and becomes one of the biggest patsies in motion picture history. Something tells me that would be teh awesomes!

Snowtrooper
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
For those of you who purchased the 2-disc dvd or blu-ray, were the extras any good? I bought just the single DVD since I heard that the extras weren't really spectacular. Just wondering if I missed out on much.

Devo
12-11-2008, 04:40 AM

In what way was Tommy lee jones any less ''Ham'' than jim carrey in Batman forever? The stupid 'villain' cackle and OTT physical about-turns. I'm sure TLJ could have played a serious Two-Face but it just wasn't that kind of film. He had to treat the material the way everyone else was treating it.

I agree about the TDK scarring - it could have been just as effective had it been done realistically. It was unusual they chose an unrealistic route on that where the rest of the film relatively speaking asks to be taken seriously. However there is still the matter that, despite the 'real-world' approach, we are still talking about a 'superhero', superpowered or not - the notion is pretty absurd. All that would be required to demonstrate this absurdity would be a scene in which we actually see Bruce wayne getting into the batsuit - exactly how long that would take, the help he would need and a bit where he goes up to a mirror and paints on his eye make-up - meanwhile the Joker has massacred everyone at the Dent campaign fundraiser and captured Dent himself!

But anyway - its still an excellent film with excellent characterisation and performances. Comparing performances in this to the performances in the old films is an apples and oranges kind of thing. The campier takes on the characters in Burton's films are fantastic for what they are and the films they're in just as Ledgers Joker is fantastic for this film. Its not a matter of which is better so much as which style you prefer to watch.

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I didn't vote for him. He's proven that he was a one-trick pony who got lucky. He's more Andrew Johnson than Abe Lincoln. It's time to impeach him. Vince Offer would make a better "King Geek," and I'm not even joking.Geez, what's wrong with you?!? Your obession with Vince has messed up your head! YOU DON'T VOTE FOR A KING!!! :p

Beast, I, for one, agree with you. I heard everyone talking about this movie while it was in theaters. "It's the best movie ever." "This is the best Batman movie ever." "Heath Ledger was perfect." Eh...? I waited for it to come out on DVD and watched it last night. One complaint I have of the movie is that they had developed Two-Face's character so well...and then...they kill him. ???? What!!? I liked him a lot; he was intriguing. Heath Ledger did a hell of a job, but I don't think it beats...say...Danny Devito's penguin. Now THAT was a perfect performance. That being said, I gave this movie 4 stars out of 5. Not bad, but everyone acted like it was a 6 out of 5. Nope, sorry. Not in my opinion.They should have saved Two-Face for another film, and those burns IMO would have been fatal in a few days anyway, they took that mess too far.

I am utterly shocked that you can praise DeVito's Penguin so highly, that hammy, scene-chewing, grotesque, cartoony mess never worked for me on ANY level. Burton just took the character the wrong way, and DeVito ran with it.

Slicker
12-13-2008, 01:08 AM
They should have saved Two-Face for another film, and those burns IMO would have been fatal in a few days anyway, they took that mess too far.

Ever since I saw it those burns seemed a bit too much. How the hell does his eye stay moist with no damn lid? That part just bugs me about it.

JediTricks
12-13-2008, 01:15 AM
His eye is all red and veined in the film, but left uncovered it'd actually be far worse (and stuff would stick to it, gross). And how did all those burns not get horribly infected? How was he able to stay conscious through the pain of that? No way! They should have dialed the over-the-top design back on that one. To me, the character ends up as "Half-Face" instead, and that's no good. The last few minutes of the movie don't work for me at all, in general. They could have left it with Harvey on the loose instead if they had to do something (and you know, not half his face torn off).

Rocketboy
12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Ever since I saw it those burns seemed a bit too much. How the hell does his eye stay moist with no damn lid? That part just bugs me about it.Why do you think he's in such a bad mood?

Slicker
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Why do you think he's in such a bad mood?
DERF! And here I was thinking it was because Rachel died!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-18-2008, 02:18 AM
I read this false rumor they posted at SHH! for kicks and I had to share it cos it's too damn funny.

The UK tabloids strike again. One, who shall remain unnamed, is claiming that Eddie Murphy is playing The Riddler in the next Batman movie, that Shia LaBeouf will play Robin and that Rachel Weisz is up for the role of Catwoman. Not only that, but the tabloid says the movie will come out in 2010, and that the movie "will end on a cliffhanger over whether Batman survives a blast at Wayne Towers."

My favorite comment from the posters: "A black riddler?" followed by another saying, "why not? It worked in Blazing Saddles...."

lol zing! :thumbsup:

Tycho
12-18-2008, 03:28 AM
This is a little off-topic, but Geek Magazine had an interview with Sarah Silverman who said she's going for the role of Wonder Woman.

I think Sarah's cute and everything, but she's so wrong for that role with her squeaky voice. She must have been kidding - but I'm not sure.

Slicker
12-18-2008, 04:25 AM
I highly HIGHLY doubt she was serious. It is Sarah Silverman afterall.

LTBasker
12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I read this false rumor they posted at SHH! for kicks and I had to share it cos it's too damn funny.

Weisz I like enough to think of her as a serious suggestion, but I think she's got a bit too large of an ego at this point to take such a role seriously.

Eddie Murphy, I think he would have had potential back during the late 80's/early 90's.

Shia LaBeouf though... He makes me truly glad the report is satirical. I'm okay with him in some movies, but the role of Robin is definitely waaaaaay out of his league. Not to mention that it would really suck to have Grayson already be teenaged and become Robin in the same movie. The only benefit would be that he would appear closer to teen-age than O'Donnell even came close to.

This is a little off-topic, but Geek Magazine had an interview with Sarah Silverman who said she's going for the role of Wonder Woman.

I think Sarah's cute and everything, but she's so wrong for that role with her squeaky voice. She must have been kidding - but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I highly doubt she's serious. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing her in the costume anyways.

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
That is easily the worst collection of stupid rumors I've ever seen in my life. Supershadow couldn't have done a better job. It's like listening to some 5th graders talk about "stuff they heard from a friend". :D

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd like to kick Sarah Silverman in the nads. She'd be cute, but she's too gross to be cute.

Tycho
12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm attracted to Sarah Silverman. I'm not entirely sure why. But she could have me. Imagine how priviledged she would feel.

I wonder if she'd write a new song: "I'm f***ing Mister Tycho?" That'd be awesome. Then maybe they'd make - action figures! There would be a movie and SirSteve would have the exclusive first interviews.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-21-2008, 06:57 AM
In a recent Nolan BD chat, he confirmed that he is talking to Goyer about a third film, Two Face IS dead, and when asked about infamous "5 dead, 2 cops" comment and who was killed, he said he'd answer who was all killed, but not anytime soon.

:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
So, I tried to watch the BD Live Goyer recorded video commentary. What a piece of crap that is! It doesn't have enough buffer, so it often stutters and shuts down, and in the middle of the second clip it ends prematurely, there's no fast-forward or rewind or pause, and it takes forever to load. I really wanted to hear what he had to say, but this didn't work out at all and I dumped it after a while. Shame on Warner Bros for not just including commentary tracks on the disc.

preacher
12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
His eye is all red and veined in the film, but left uncovered it'd actually be far worse (and stuff would stick to it, gross). And how did all those burns not get horribly infected? How was he able to stay conscious through the pain of that? No way! They should have dialed the over-the-top design back on that one. To me, the character ends up as "Half-Face" instead, and that's no good. The last few minutes of the movie don't work for me at all, in general. They could have left it with Harvey on the loose instead if they had to do something (and you know, not half his face torn off).

I've seen some very horrific electic burns. Bad to the point of peeling back flesh. You are right though. The victims need constant observation and pain inhibitors. I burned the **** out of myself a couple years back on the underside of a barbequer while trying to turn off a propane tank. It was a second degree burn and even though my skin was only in contact for a brief second the hot surface baked and killed my skin instantly. It hurt like a mother. Really small burn but man.

Two Face was in a hospital. So he WAS undergoing treatment. It wasn't until the Joker appeared that Two Face even thought about going on his killing spree. So thematically, the pain in his heart, of having been betrayed by those close to him, coupled with losing the woman he loved, surpassed the pain Harvey felt physically. The burns were fine. They were real looking. Believe me. They needed to look as awful as they did to drive to make the point that Harvey was suffering outside and inside. Its a shock when you see his wounds. It has to be.

The scarring could've been handled effectively by having Harvey actually addressing the horridness directly. Before he killed the mob boss, the mob boss could've said something like, "You look ... you should be in a hospital. Those burns..."

Harvey interrupts, "Are nothing. Who set me up?"

bigbarada
12-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I just watched this movie for the first time last week. It was pretty good but suffered from the same problem that Spider-Man 3 had in that there was just too much going on for one film. I've never liked the multiple villains per movie and I don't think it's ever really worked well.

That being said, I like how 2-face came about and it's probably the best version of an otherwise super-lame character. I loved the burn effects on his face, but kept thinking that his eye should be drying up like a raisin without an eyelid. It may not have been realistic, but it was believable and that's really the most important thing for a film.

It's interesting how the media coverage of Harvey Dent seemed to mirror the last Presidential election in terms of overly optimistic expectations being heaped upon one man.

The Joker seemed a little tame and I really wish they had pushed his psychopathic nature a little further. Otherwise, I was really impressed with Heath Ledger's performance. He was easily the best onscreen Joker I've ever seen, it's just too bad he'll never be able to follow it up.:cry:

One thing I did like was that the movie didn't take the word "Dark" in its title too literally and there were plenty of well-lit daytime scenes to counteract the nighttime stuff.

Still not a fan of the "plastic armor" Batman suit and wish they would at least go back to the traditional blue and grey color scheme.

Tycho
12-26-2008, 06:21 AM
The Dark Knight is still my favorite movie!

Because of the Oscar Nominations, I've heard it's going to be re-released into the movie theaters! Who would go and see it on the big screen again?

I'm so there!

DarkArtist
12-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Because of the Oscar Nominations, I've heard it's going to be re-released into the movie theaters! Who would go and see it on the big screen again?

I'm so there!

i would without a doubt definately see it again in the theaters. loved this movie. might pick it up on DVD this afternoon on the way home from work. was hoping to get a copy for Christmas but got a bunch of other stuff that i can't complain about.

Beast
12-26-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm so there!
It's just going to be re-released in Imax apperantly.

Tycho
12-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll see it in Imax. The first time I went, my girlfriend and I got into a 9 am show at an Imax theater. We couldn't see the actual Imax screening because it was already sold-out for like 2 days, so we took what we could get on a Sunday morning because she didn't want to wait in line (of course we ended up waiting in line - it was the opening weekend! But 9am wasn't too long of wait.)

JetsAndHeels
12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
If it is going to be showing again at IMAX theaters, I will definately go see it.

El Chuxter
12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
That being said, I like how 2-face came about and it's probably the best version of an otherwise super-lame character.
Okay, so a character has villains like Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Egghead, Louie the Lilac, Calendar Man, and Crazy Quilt. Among his more "respected" villains are Mad Hatter, a loony who is obsessed with Alice in Wonderland and builds mind-control devices, and Scarface, a dummy made from wood from a gallows, who bosses around the mousy Ventriloquist and may or may not simply be a second personality inside the Ventriloquist's mind.

And you use "super-lame" to describe the hideously scarred former attorney who is so mentally deranged he had to rely on coin flips to decide everything from whether he wants to kill someone or to super-size his value meal?

And he's "super-lame" when compared to the freaking guy who's permanently disfigured to look like a clown and doesn't even have a modus operandi aside from causing chaos?

We can disagree on a lot of things, but I can't even begin to figure out where you're coming from on this one.

:D

bigbarada
12-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Okay, so a character has villains like Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Egghead, Louie the Lilac, Calendar Man, and Crazy Quilt. Among his more "respected" villains are Mad Hatter, a loony who is obsessed with Alice in Wonderland and builds mind-control devices, and Scarface, a dummy made from wood from a gallows, who bosses around the mousy Ventriloquist and may or may not simply be a second personality inside the Ventriloquist's mind.

And you use "super-lame" to describe the hideously scarred former attorney who is so mentally deranged he had to rely on coin flips to decide everything from whether he wants to kill someone or to super-size his value meal?

And he's "super-lame" when compared to the freaking guy who's permanently disfigured to look like a clown and doesn't even have a modus operandi aside from causing chaos?

We can disagree on a lot of things, but I can't even begin to figure out where you're coming from on this one.

:D

I'm not much of a Batman fan, so 99.9% of my knowledge of the character comes from movies and TV shows. Which means that, outside of Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, 2-Face, Bane, Mr. Freeze, I'm totally ignorant of Batman's pantheon of comic book villains.

When it comes to comic books, I've always been more of a Marvel guy.

So, I retract my "super-lame" statement on the grounds of stupidity.:D

El Chuxter
12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Okay, if your Batman knowledge comes from non-comics sources, thinking Two-Face is lame is quite understandable. :)

Mvader91
12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
:thumbsup:
If it is going to be showing again at IMAX theaters, I will definately go see it.
:thumbsup:Kick booty movie at the Imax! I will definitely see it for my 7thru10th time on the rerelease:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm so there!I'm going to see it on the BIIIIIIG screen. It's getting rereleased on IMAX so I figure that'll be a great way to enjoy it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I just had a good chuckle watching JEOPARDY! as there was a question about what film grossed 158 million its first weekend in July of 08.

Person #1- "What is batman?"
Person #2- "What is Batman Returns?"
and finally, person #3- "What is the Dark Knight?"

One of the folks who messed it up just named a film from 1952. She needs to be a bit more current if you ask me. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
12-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I just had a good chuckle watching JEOPARDY! as there was a question about what film grossed 158 million its first weekend in July of 08.

Person #1- "What is batman?"
Person #2- "What is Batman Returns?"
and finally, person #3- "What is the Dark Knight?"

One of the folks who messed it up just named a film from 1952. She needs to be a bit more current if you ask me. :thumbsup:

I saw that. Leave it to the champ to get it right.

Tycho
12-31-2008, 01:48 AM
My friend loaned me the season 1 DVD collection of the animated show "The Batman." I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to watching the episodes so much that I think I may buy these DVD sets for myself.

JetsAndHeels
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
My friend loaned me the season 1 DVD collection of the animated show "The Batman." I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to watching the episodes so much that I think I may buy these DVD sets for myself.

I think you can purchase the entire series now as a boxed set. If I recall correctly, it was released in November.
Update:

Yeah, you can get the entire series. Here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9083332&st=batman+animated&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1892338) is a link to check it out.

Tycho
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks JetsAndHeels. It's actually this series (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7649547&type=product&id=1507096) that I've been watching and liking a lot. I might order.

JetsAndHeels
12-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks JetsAndHeels. It's actually this series (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7649547&type=product&id=1507096) that I've been watching and liking a lot. I might order.

Oh, I thought you meant the older one. My bad.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm a fan of the original BTAS myself. The new series is AWFUL and from what I saw of THE BATMAN, I wasn't that big of a fan. But to each their own!

Found this FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE pic of a possible interpretation of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin. http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN3_fake-hoffman-as-penguin-pic_12-31-08.html

I think it looks really cool and could work. Your thoughts? :thumbsup:

Beast
12-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a fan of the original BTAS myself. The new series is AWFUL and from what I saw of THE BATMAN, I wasn't that big of a fan. But to each their own!

Found this FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE pic of a possible interpretation of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin. http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN3_fake-hoffman-as-penguin-pic_12-31-08.html

I think it looks really cool and could work. Your thoughts? :thumbsup:
The new series is awsome! Bite your tongue!

Rocketboy
12-31-2008, 10:17 PM
That fake Penguin pic looks terrible. Looks like a vampire or something.
I'd rather see a Nolan-verse Penguin as far from a mutant as possible. He should be more of the short, fat mobster/businessman type.

El Chuxter
01-01-2009, 02:43 AM
I do have to say, though I'm not a huge fan, The Batman has gotten remarkably better. The Clock King episode was especially good, though not at the level of TAS.

Rocketboy
01-01-2009, 10:57 AM
If its animated Batman and its not Kevin Conroy's voice, its crap.

El Chuxter
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't go that far. (http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doo-Meets-Batman-Scooby-Doo/dp/B0000687FU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230831613&sr=8-2)

Rocketboy
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you for proving my point.

Beast
01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't go that far. (http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doo-Meets-Batman-Scooby-Doo/dp/B0000687FU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230831613&sr=8-2)
Back to the Batcave for Bat-Cookies and Bat-Milk.

LTBasker
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Kevin Conroy IS Batman, however, he can't do the voice for every Batman - and Deidrich Bader is doing a pretty decent job, IMO.

figrin bran
01-02-2009, 03:33 AM

I would tend to agree and am reluctant to watch the new Brave and the Bold series.

Tycho, you really should watch Batman the Animated Series (BTAS would be our abbreviation for it) instead of The Batman.

bigbarada
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I've never been a big fan of the Batman cartoons, in fact I've never been much of a fan of Batman; but I find myself really liking the new Brave & the Bold cartoon.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
My friend loaned me the season 1 DVD collection of the animated show "The Batman." I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to watching the episodes so much that I think I may buy these DVD sets for myself.Really, The Batman? The one with the glowing baby blue lights on the batarangs and batmobile from a few years ago, with karate-expert Joker & Penguin, bright red Bane in bondage outfit? I can't imagine why, it's pretty weak and gets worse with the addition of Batgirl, and then of Robin.

I'm a fan of the original BTAS myself. The new series is AWFUL and from what I saw of THE BATMAN, I wasn't that big of a fan. But to each their own!"New series", you mean Brave & Bold? That show is unwatchable, dreadful. I watched all of The Batman, but only out of brand loyalty, it's based off the same design style of the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon which I also watched and suffered the same problems but had more freedom to have fun.

Found this FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE pic of a possible interpretation of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin. http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN..._12-31-08.html (http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN3_fake-hoffman-as-penguin-pic_12-31-08.html) Unimpressed, it's just a bald guy with a pointy nose, doesn't say anything at all. Penguin is a crappy movie character anyway.

The new series is awsome! Bite your tongue!Wow, what the hell?!? First "Batman Forever" and now this???

If its animated Batman and its not Kevin Conroy's voice, its crap.Conroy's voice didn't really fit all that well in Gotham Knight, I thought. He was great in BTAS and its sequel, but some types of stories and art don't really fit him that well.

El Chuxter
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I gotta say, it scares me that the Brave and the Bold logo is very reminiscent of the 1960s Batman logo and Batman has eyebrows. It's like they're trying to go the opposite extreme from TDK by throwing back to the Adam West days... only without Adam West and all the other silliness that made that show enjoyable.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
That's exactly what they're doing. They're harkening back to the classic silver era Batman niches for the look to maximize on recognizability for little kids and nostalgia-addicted adults. All the friggin' toys from the line seem to feature a smiling Batman!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
That's exactly what they're doing. They're harkening back to the classic silver era Batman niches for the look to maximize on recognizability for little kids and nostalgia-addicted adults. All the friggin' toys from the line seem to feature a smiling Batman!

cos batman is REALLY REALLY happy to be fighting crime; duh!!! and yeah, I was referring to the B&B. It's just campy, poorly written garbage. Didn't one episode take Batman into outerspace? I'm having bad visions of Moonraker.....

and according to David S. Goyer, nothing is confirmed for a third film. They're "musing" about a story for the third flick. Should be interesting to see what they come up with. :thumbsup:

Beast
01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
And that's why it's awesome. :D

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Not just any episode, the PILOT episode! Batman and the Blue Beetle go into space to stop a meteor, because when you need to stop a meteor, you call... Batman? It actually got worse, with them being zipped to another planet where cutesy aliens worshipped the Blue Beetle, and Batman had to pretend to be his sidekick. I sh*t you not.

Beast
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Not just any episode, the PILOT episode! Batman and the Blue Beetle go into space to stop a meteor, because when you need to stop a meteor, you call... Batman? It actually got worse, with them being zipped to another planet where cutesy aliens worshipped the Blue Beetle, and Batman had to pretend to be his sidekick. I sh*t you not.
Ok, the pilot wasn't the best.

But the show has some really great episodes.

El Chuxter
01-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Like I said, at least the 1960s show was supposed to be funny. From everything I've ever read about it, the only guy who took it seriously was Adam West, and he's such a ridiculous overactor it didn't matter whether he was trying or not.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Like I said, at least the 1960s show was supposed to be funny. From everything I've ever read about it, the only guy who took it seriously was Adam West, and he's such a ridiculous overactor it didn't matter whether he was trying or not.
I don't know nearly as much about the old series as you do, but I saw this (http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/random_roles_adam_west) recently and it kind of goes against what you said.

Batman (1966)—"Bruce Wayne/Batman"

AW: Success! I had been doing films in Europe, and had some success with a spaghetti Western, and I was offered more pictures over there. But I came back to see my kids. My agent said, "There's a big project out at Fox. Would you be interested? They'd like to talk to you." I said, "What is it?" He said, "Batman." I said, "Come on, Lou! I'm trying to have a serious career here!" But I got curious, so I read the pilot script, and thought it was one of the funniest, most absurd takes I'd ever read. So I said to my agent, "Well, if they want to sign me, I'll do it." And they did, they signed me that day.

AVC: How familiar were you with the character before you got the script?

AW: Pretty much. From a young person's point of view, y'know. When I was a kid, I read comics. But when I saw how funny it was, and how wonderfully absurd, I said, "You know, I gotta do this." I fell down like 18 times reading that script.
Just for the record.

RooJay
01-10-2009, 03:13 AM
When I read a Batman comic, I can't help but hear Kevin Conroy's voice. Even when I consciously try to make Batman sound different in my head it just doesn't work.

I have found Brave and the Bold to be fairly enjoyable overall, but as an adult viewer (keeping in mind that this is a Batman show aimed squarely at kids) I find it to be laughably inferior to pretty much every other animated version of the character. Batman's costars tend to be even worse, with some - Aquaman in particular - even coming off as being horribly mis-characterized. Funny, but very out of character.

Jargo
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
getting back to the movie, i finally saw it yesterday. Have to say it was a total waste to kill off Harvey Dent. Not to mention his motivation for turning bad didn't really play out that well. I was rooting for the Joker mostly because batman just came across as pathetic and dull. It was easy to see what the actors, director and script were getting at but for the most part it just didn't come across as very convincing. and instead I found myself thinking how bland these characters were.
I really hope they don't come back with a third movie.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 06:42 PM

That episode is actually what made me a fan of the show, I didn't realize it was the pilot. Granted some stuff was a little goofy (like how exactly does Batman's cape turn into a rocket pack with enough fuel to get him into space?), but it was enjoyable for what it was: a waste of 30 minutes. This is actually the first Batman cartoon series that I have made it a point to watch; but I'll admit I'm not watching it for Batman, since I don't really like the character. But, it is nice to see the Bat's horizons expanding beyond Gotham City.

However, you guys might have a point, because I've said to myself several times while watching the first 3 or 4 episodes that "this show would go from merely good to awesome if they just got rid of Batman.":D Maybe it should have just been called "DC Team-Up" or something and Batman wouldn't have to be in every single episode.

JediTricks
01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Like I said, at least the 1960s show was supposed to be funny. From everything I've ever read about it, the only guy who took it seriously was Adam West, and he's such a ridiculous overactor it didn't matter whether he was trying or not.This new show is trying to be funny and campy, but it doesn't come off right the way they shoehorn it in.

That episode is actually what made me a fan of the show, I didn't realize it was the pilot. Granted some stuff was a little goofy (like how exactly does Batman's cape turn into a rocket pack with enough fuel to get him into space?), but it was enjoyable for what it was: a waste of 30 minutes. This is actually the first Batman cartoon series that I have made it a point to watch; but I'll admit I'm not watching it for Batman, since I don't really like the character. But, it is nice to see the Bat's horizons expanding beyond Gotham City.

However, you guys might have a point, because I've said to myself several times while watching the first 3 or 4 episodes that "this show would go from merely good to awesome if they just got rid of Batman.":D Maybe it should have just been called "DC Team-Up" or something and Batman wouldn't have to be in every single episode.IMO, the only accurate things you said there, besides the part about the cape, was that it was a waste of 30 minutes. :p Every prior Batman cartoon is vastly superior, in descending order if you start at the early '90s show (nicknamed "BTAS", Batman the Animated Series). There was also a better DC teamup series called "Justice League Unlimited" not that long ago until Cartoon Network canceled it.

Hell, there isn't even a Bruce Wayne character in this new series.

Qui-Long Gone
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
The nominees for people most out of touch with the way things are:

George W. Bush, for "War, good God y'all, what is it good for?"

The American people, for "Help me Obama-Kenobi, you're my only hope."

NBC, for "Oh wait, we're moving Leno and Conan where (to make room for that SNL guy who)?"

And

The Academy Awards, for "Snubbing of the Dark Knight."

And the award goes to............(drum roll)......(George Lucas, in a symbolic gesture opens the envelope)......

"Snubbing the Dark Knight"

(Voice over comes on saying, "This is the one-hundredth time the Academy has won this award. In the last four years they took home awards for "Over-hyped Art House Crap I, II, III, and IV: the Search for More Crap.)

*Everyone claps and cheers as ratings plumet to all-time low of 27.5 million viewers. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
At least Heath got nominated, but he'll probably lose to some random I've never heard of from some movie I have absolutely no interest in seeing. The Academy Awards are just stupid. Maybe when they stop separating animated movies from live-action ones then it'll get better.

2-1B
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Heath Ledger is the only major aspect of TDK which deserves an Oscar nod.

I'd say the Academy got it right by leaving TDK out of all major categories, save for Heath of course.

Snowtrooper
01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I really don't care what the Academy thinks anymore. I haven't watched the academy awards since probably 98. Most of the movies that they think are so great are soon forgotten. I don't need a bunch of elitist snobs to tell me whats good and what isn't.

If you think TDK was the movie of the year, then thats all that matters.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I'll be in Chicago tomorrow night and i'm going to see it on IMAX! I'm really excited as I hear it's fantastic to behold!

RooJay
01-23-2009, 03:19 AM
...eff da Oscars...

Slicker
01-23-2009, 04:27 AM
I really don't care what the Academy thinks anymore. I haven't watched the academy awards since probably 98. Most of the movies that they think are so great are soon forgotten. I don't need a bunch of elitist snobs to tell me whats good and what isn't.

If you think TDK was the movie of the year, then thats all that matters.The Academy is pure garbage. I read an article the other day saying that they basically only pick those stupid films that nobody sees. I haven't even heard of the one movie everyone's raving about but they said it's likely gonna win.

Beast
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I feel validated for my dislike for the film. Thank you Academy.

2-1B
01-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Last year No Country for Old Men won Best Pic...a film which many 'net nerds were splooging over, so it goes both ways.

Slicker
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Last year No Country for Old Men won Best Pic...a film which many 'net nerds were splooging over, so it goes both ways.That's because No Country was an actual good movie. Most of the stuff they pick is garbage.

It's just like them saying that Citizen Kane is the best movie ever made. I've seen it several times before and it is indeed decent but it's nothing spectacular. The Academy is like that kid in school that goes with the hip crowd. Someone influential says that a movie is good so everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and agrees.

LTBasker
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Does that mean whenever someone brought up the Dark Knight, another person yelled "NERD!!!!" and wedgies promptly ensued?

Slicker
01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Nah, they mostly went for the wet-willy and the swirly.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Nah, they mostly went for the wet-willy and the swirly.
I foresee a Slicker's Mom joke arising from that comment.

Slicker
01-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I foresee a Slicker's Mom joke arising from that comment.It's just too easy anymore (another Slicker's mom joke!) so I don't even bother.

LTBasker
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Apparently Ledger's Joker performance was so great that it fried the brains of many of his fans, thus making them dumber than dirt.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/12/ledgerjokercampaign.screeningroom/index.html

A small flock of his fans are attempting to get the Joker "retired" from ANY potential live-action movie performance, whether present or future. Retiring him from the Nolan universe I could understand, and would support. However, retiring him completely from film potential? It defines stupidity.

Beast
02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Apparently Ledger's Joker performance was so great that it fried the brains of many of his fans, thus making them dumber than dirt.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/12/ledgerjokercampaign.screeningroom/index.html

A small flock of his fans are attempting to get the Joker "retired" from ANY potential live-action movie performance, whether present or future. Retiring him from the Nolan universe I could understand, and would support. However, retiring him completely from film potential? It defines stupidity.
Sheesh. Any wonder I hate fanboys.

Honestly, I don't even agree with retiring the character from the current films either. I don't think Ledger's Joker was all that special. Or even resembled Joker.

2-1B
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I think they're too late, since I'm sure there have already been a slew of goofy "Fanfilms" which has some dork playing the role of The Joker.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
While I don't think the Joker should be returned to in the Nolan films, why would anybody want to limit the future? Because fanboys are lame? Not good enough.

Slicker
02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Definitely stupid. Seeing as the Joker didn't even die in this film they should definitely bring him back but it's gotta be something new. I utterly hate when they bring in new actors that try TOO hard to be like the previous incarnations.

Tycho
02-16-2009, 05:28 AM
I just really enjoyed seeing this movie with 2 of you guys from SSG: once with JT and once with Slicker. I think I saw it in the theater 3 times total - the first with my girlfriend on its opening weekend.

The Dark Knight rocks. It's still my favorite movie, closely followed by Defiance.

Rocketboy
02-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd like to see something along the lines of Joker returning to screw with Batman directly from Arkham by using his Psychiatrist, Dr. Quinzel.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
It's on TNT tonight and tomorrow evening (5pm Pacific). I had forgotten how good a film this is.

Slicker
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Even though I own it on DVD I'll most likely watch it. It's just like when Star Wars is on TV I always try to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Do you notice when you watch such movies on DVD that you can recall where cable put the commercial breaks?

Slicker
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I do it all of the time.

The one movie that I can always tell is ESB. The Dagobah scenes just lent themselves to commercial breaks with all of those sweeps.