PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight (New Batman film)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm starting a new thread as rumors and info are starting to circulate and it'll get its own thread eventually.

Joker has supposedly been cast, according to SHH with news they got from Latino Review:

We were first to tell the world that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman. Now here we are at it again as we just got word from A VERY TRUSTED SOURCE that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the Batman Begins Sequel!

alright, i was really hoping for Crispin Glover, but Heath Ledger? I was thinking about this at work (my bro called from chicago to share the rumor) and the more i think about it, the more i think it'll work. The work i've seen Ledger in i've always been impressed (and no, i haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain"), but just judging from his work and personality, he can make Joker the sadistic bastard he always should've been.

Let's start the hype; thoughts?!? :crazed:

Slicker
07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Jack Nicholson will ALWAYS be the PERFECT Joker. Shoulda just recast him.

Darth Jax
07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Jack Nicholson will ALWAYS be the PERFECT Joker. Shoulda just recast him.

while i agree jack is the perfect joker, he's getting too old to be recast in the role. glover would've been a great choice, but he's just creepy - don't know he could totally pull of the twisted humor.

Rocketboy
07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Jack Nicholson will ALWAYS be the PERFECT Joker. Shoulda just recast him.And that was 17 years ago. I agree, Jack was perfect, but he's way too old. And the new ones are a totally different Batman series than the 89-97 movies.

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Heath Ledger? Huh. I mean he's in no way a bad actor, but I don't know if he can pull off the Joker. I just hope they kill off Katie Holmes' character and bring in a real actress like Rachel McAdams. BTW, I also heard Harvey Dent will play a prominent role in the sequel. Clive Owen, anyone?

Kidhuman
07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Ledger will suck as the Joker.

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I seem to recall reading that Ledger was going to take a break from acting to raise his kid. I say Benicio del Toro would be a good Joker. Watch "Sin City" and you'll see what I mean.

UKWildcat
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Ledger will suck as the Joker.

Yea, I'm not digging the selection either.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Relax, kids! You haven't even seen the flick and you're passing judgment. I trust Chris Nolan and his decisions. Obviously, he sees something in Heath that is right for the role.

Keep your fanboy capes on and relax! :thumbsup:

2-1B
07-21-2006, 02:36 AM
I am intrigued by the idea of Heathcliff as The Joker. Could be interesting. :)

I was never a big fan of the '89 Batman movie so when it comes to Jack, meh, sure he did a good job but I wasn't crazy about that movie.

Darth Jax
07-21-2006, 07:29 AM
hopefully we get a little hottie harley quinn along with the joker.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
They should get Alicia Silverstone to play Batgirl Begins and Chris O'Donnell in Robin Returns.

UKWildcat
07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Put down the pipe Caesar... you're scaring me. lol

basschick
07-25-2006, 05:59 AM
i had a bad dream the other night and this was part of it :(

They should get Alicia Silverstone to play Batgirl Begins and Chris O'Donnell in Robin Returns.

Daz
07-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Heath Ledger as good an actor as he is just strikes me as the wrong choice for the joker if he is cast in the film it should be as Dent with Paul Bettany as joker.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
They shouldn't re-use Joker. There are plenty of characters who haven't been used:

Egghead
Calendar Man
Crazy Quilt
Blockbuster
Louie the Lilac
Magpie

On second thought, let's use the Joker. :) (Though had I wanted a more serious list of villains, I could've said Killer Croc, The Ventriloquist, The Mad Hatter, Anarky, Azrael, Harley Quinn, or any of a number of great foes. Aside from Venom, Bats gets all the best worst villains.)

darthvyn
07-26-2006, 08:47 AM
the joker just wishes he knew how to quit batman. and where he gets all those "wonderful" toys.

JetsAndHeels
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I trust Chris Nolan and his decisions. Obviously, he sees something in Heath that is right for the role.

I know where you are coming from. In this post you sound alot like me many months ago about another certain superhero flick. :)

LTBasker
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm hoping that with the Joker that they don't include Harley Quinn so soon, but rather Harleen Quinzelle. Since Dr. Crane was treating patients at Arkham, his now empty posisition could be filled by introducing Dr. Harleen and they could drop in a session with the Joker assuming he is ever put into Arkham.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Harleen Quinzel, Edward Nygma, Victor Fries, Pamela Ivey, Jervis Tetch, Oswald C Cobblepot. . . what's with Batman's otherwise kick-arse Rogue's Gallery having the dumbest bunch of names in the free world?

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe it's because they're from COMIC BOOKS! :p

I hope they are able to make Batman fight real crime, that's something that most Joker stories on the screen don't really get to do.

seanmcfripp
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I just want to see the car again. I'm probably in a minority, but I thought the Tumbler rocked. I wish LEGO would make a systems version (I don't want the alt build for the collectors batmobile).

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
I also really liked the Tumbler, I bought the Mattel action figure version during Ep 3 Midnight Madness! I also got the Hot Wheels 1/18th version for xmas last year (their scale claim is a lie, it's smaller than 1/18th, it just is part of their 1/18th line is all). Also, I saw the full-sized prop version (hero prop I guess) around town a couple times before the movie, it's smaller than you'd think but very impressive in person, if you get the chance, see it in person. I think it should be in the next movie, and I don't think they need to do anything crazy new with it this time, screw toyetics.

I wish LEGO would make a systems version (I don't want the alt build for the collectors batmobile).Whoa, that's the alt build? Got any scans of this?

darko666
07-27-2006, 07:38 PM
that is some horrible news. and for the record Mark Hamil is The Joker.
Jack was a good Joker, but never had the sadistic feel of The Joker. i really hope Nolan uses The Joker from Killing Joke in the movie, or at least the style of The Joker in that story. who will play Two Face?

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
No sadistic feel? Jack mutilated poor Alicia's face even though she was his girlfriend, and shot his right-hand-man Bob for no reason. That's what I liked about Jack's turn as the Joker, he was an insane madman who was disturbingly whimsical and non-chalant about his evildoings - they made sense to him only in certain moments.

seanmcfripp
07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Whoa, that's the alt build? Got any scans of this?

Ok, the nerds at Brickshelf let me down on this one.:D People took pictures of everything on the box, except the picture of the Tumbler. If memory serves, the Tumbler pic appears on the inside of the opening top flap of the box. Again, it's not a great design, because they cheat the front wheels by just popping off the tires (only comes with the four wheels for the main model).

Take a look here to get an idea:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=7784&stype=dfic

Check out the gallery for "USC-Tumbler." The guy used pieces from 7784 to make his own Tumbler, which looks much better than the alt build depicted by LEGO on the inside flap of the box. He still had to cheat the wheel/tire issue, but looks nice anyway.

Edit: Ok, scratch that...the Brickshelf guys are as nerdily thorough as they usually are. I stopped by TRU, and my memory must be bad, because there is in fact no top flap on the box. I know I've seen a picture of the Tumbler somewhere. I'll find it.

JediTricks
07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
That's not a bad Tumbler MOC there, but the cockpit is the weakest link. I too checked Bricklink and a bunch of other sites, no scan, is it from the instructions?

darko666
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
No sadistic feel? Jack mutilated poor Alicia's face even though she was his girlfriend, and shot his right-hand-man Bob for no reason.

thats nothing compared to The Joker killing a whole cub scout troop of kids. Jack was a good Joker, but Nolans version has to be better.

maatu
07-29-2006, 09:41 PM
interesting i have not seen the movie yet.

El Chuxter
07-29-2006, 09:49 PM
thats nothing compared to The Joker killing a whole cub scout troop of kids. Jack was a good Joker, but Nolans version has to be better.

He was going to gas the entire city by enticing them into the streets with money and balloons. That's pretty bloody sadistic. Nicholson's Joker never had the opportunity to engage in massive slaughter, since he died after one escapade.

and for the record Mark Hamil is The Joker

Absolutely, though I doubt he'd look the part. No one has nailed the character better than Luke did on the animated series.

who will play Two Face?

Billy Dee Williams. :D

The way the first used Scarecrow to explore Bruce's fear, the second (or third, or fourth) could use Two-Face to explore Batman's dual identities.

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 09:35 PM
thats nothing compared to The Joker killing a whole cub scout troop of kids. Jack was a good Joker, but Nolans version has to be better.I don't think there was any way they could get that into a movie in '89 without an R-rating, and it wouldn't have fit the tone, it would have been (pardon the pun) overkill.

He was going to gas the entire city by enticing them into the streets with money and balloons. That's pretty bloody sadistic. Nicholson's Joker never had the opportunity to engage in massive slaughter, since he died after one escapade.This is a good point, I was willing to overlook it since it was Jack's ultimate goal rather than a random side one, but the guy is about to gas everybody in Gotham to a gruesome death, and some of the people at the parade do succumb to the gas.

seanmcfripp
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
That's not a bad Tumbler MOC there, but the cockpit is the weakest link. I too checked Bricklink and a bunch of other sites, no scan, is it from the instructions?

Ah ha, finally remembered where I found it:

http://pre.classic-space.com/?m=batmobilebig&n=16

Boy, that just looks terrible. Laziest alt model I think I've ever seen from LEGO. Here's a full review of the USC Batmobile:

http://pre.classic-space.com/?m=batmobilebig&n=21

The guy has a pretty cool website, if you like LEGO MOCs (or is it SECs...Someone Else's Creations).

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow, that... really sucks! SINNERS! ;) Hopefully LEGO will do a real version soon, maybe asking too much but how about a System version? I hope the Tumbler ends up in the next movie, it's meant to be Batman's conveyance, not a rolling billboard.

darko666
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
http://superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=4601

darthvyn
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
okay, so is "the dark knight" really that well-known a pseudonym to non-fanboys? shouldn't they try to fit "batman" in there somewhere? like "batman: the dark knight" or something? at least it's not "batman begins 2"

meanwhile, i don't understand the casting of heath ledger as the joker. i really can't see him having the breadth to pull it off, seeing as how his supposed "oscar worthy" performance was just a bad jack pallance imitation.

2-1B
08-01-2006, 01:14 PM
"Batman Continues to Begin" would be a good title. :D

I think I'm in the minority of people who are excited about Heath being cast! :)
I think it sounds awesome and I'm already expecting this one to be better than Begins. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
It's official: Heath is the Joker.

Stolen from SHH

Batman Sequel Title & Casting Confirmed!
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures July 31, 2006

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama "Memento," which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller "Insomnia," starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on "The Prestige," with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's "The New World." His other credits include "Little Women," "Portrait of a Lady," "Metroland," "American Psycho," "Laurel Canyon" and Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun," which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama "Brokeback Mountain." His other credits include "Casanova," "Monster's Ball," "Lords of Dogtown," "The Brothers Grimm" and "The Patriot."

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

I'm really giddy about this. I think Ledger is going to be pretty bada--. Granted, I would've hoped for Crispin Glover, but what can ya do?

and i also found a rumor last night stating that Nolan is "in talks" with Philip Seymour Hoffman for the Penguin?!?? I didn't even know he was making an appearance in this flick. Then again, rumor! :crazed:

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
"The Dark Knight" is pretty well-known, but I don't think it'll matter what the title is, people will know it's a Batman film from the heavy advertising WB will do. I think the title may work, it depends on how well they deliver this movie though as the title carries a pretty heavy connotation, "The Dark Knight" generally denotes some serious s**t when it comes to the Batman franchise.

As for Heath Ledger, I have not seen one thing he's done, so I have no idea if he'll be good, but he seems kinda young to me (he's half a year younger than Katie Holmes, who was too young in the first movie), the Joker always seemed a little OLDER than Batman in the comics.

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Funny thing: I am fine with Ledger as the Joker. I'm a little disappointed they're doing him onscreen again, even if it is a different universe. I love the Joker; he's one of the greatest villains ever. But Batman has such a great Rogue's Gallery. If Nolan could make Batman Begins with a third-stringer like Scarecrow, imagine if he took on Killer Croc, or Azrael, or even the Mad Hatter.

DarkArtist
08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I rememeber reading in Entertainment Weekly that the Joker was not going to look like the Clown Prince of Crime that we all know today. In fact it was stated that the storyline would be revolving around the character of Jack Napier and how he eventually becomes the Joker. I think they said that we will only see the Joker towards the end of the movie, much like Venom in Spidey 3

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I rememeber reading in Entertainment Weekly that the Joker was not going to look like the Clown Prince of Crime that we all know today. In fact it was stated that the storyline would be revolving around the character of Jack Napier and how he eventually becomes the Joker. I think they said that we will only see the Joker towards the end of the movie, much like Venom in Spidey 3

I think that would be pretty cool too and i do hope they stick with the "Red Hood" style of history for Jack/Joker. However, if he only appears at the end of the flick, i guess that means he'd be signed on for more?

tagmac
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
They shouldn't re-use Joker. There are plenty of characters who haven't been used:

Egghead
Calendar Man
Crazy Quilt
Blockbuster
Louie the Lilac
Magpie

How could you leave out the most popular vilain of them all - Clownface! And if Nolan is smart, he'll get Dan Castellaneta to play the part. :D

JediTricks
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
If Nolan could make Batman Begins with a third-stringer like Scarecrow, imagine if he took on Killer Croc, or Azrael, or even the Mad Hatter.IMO, Killer Croc is a really weak villain, very uncinematic, essentially an overgrown thug. Mad Hatter is like the Riddler and Joker's love child, it'd feel done. Azrael would take 3 full films to explain. :p

I rememeber reading in Entertainment Weekly that the Joker was not going to look like the Clown Prince of Crime that we all know today. In fact it was stated that the storyline would be revolving around the character of Jack Napier and how he eventually becomes the Joker. I think they said that we will only see the Joker towards the end of the movie, much like Venom in Spidey 3Do we really need a "Joker Begins" movie?

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2006, 06:42 PM
"Batman Continues to Begin" would be a good title. :D

I think I'm in the minority of people who are excited about Heath being cast! :)
I think it sounds awesome and I'm already expecting this one to be better than Begins. :)

Yes, you are in the minority....Heath's good (The Patriot, even Knight's Tale), but Joker? I never saw that character as a teen-sex symbol? Will he and Bale get into a 'Zoolander' pretty-boy walk off?

Man I hope Nolan knows what he's doing on this one....

Devo
08-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Hmm, on the one hand I think a 'Joker Begins' concept is good but on the other - I'd rather see a film in which Joker as opposed to Jack Napier is the villain. It might be a killer to be teased at the prospect of seeing The Joker again only for him to not actually appear as Joker till the end of the film and then we'd have to wait 2 or 3 years for the next film. Unless what they do is have some other known villain be at the forefront of Batman's concerns with the Napier plot going on in the background. But the ending of Batman Begins sort of implied Joker.

Hellboy
08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I think Heath Ledger is an excellent choice for the role of the Joker. Hes a fine actor and shouldn't have any problem pulling it off as long as the part is written well. Joker is by far my favorite comic book villain ever and after Batman Begins I have total faith in Nolan's ability to deliver a faithful adaptation of the Dark Knight and his nemesis so I'm really looking forward to this film. :thumbsup:

As far as Jack Nicholson's potrayal of the Joker goes I thought he did a good job but to me it never felt like the Joker I loved from the comics. Then again Burton's Batman never quite felt right to me either.

scruffziller
08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I was really hoping for Crispin Glover for the Joker.:( Hopefully Heath Ledger will suprise us.:ermm:

2-1B
08-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Yes, you are in the minority....Heath's good (The Patriot, even Knight's Tale), but Joker? I never saw that character as a teen-sex symbol? Will he and Bale get into a 'Zoolander' pretty-boy walk off?

Man I hope Nolan knows what he's doing on this one....

I didn't like The Patriot and I never bothered with Knight's Tale so my only knowledge of Heath as a teen-sex symbol is Ten Things I Hate About You which I actually kind of enjoyed back in the late 90s. :) When I saw him in Brokeback I was impressed that he was able to pull off a much more mature character. :)

I think Heath Ledger is an excellent choice for the role of the Joker. Hes a fine actor and shouldn't have any problem pulling it off as long as the part is written well.

Well, I may be in the minority :D but if the company I keep includes Hellboy then I think the minority ain't a bad place to be. :thumbsup:

scruffziller
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
With Heath Ledger in it there can be only one title.

BROKEBAT ARKAM-ASYLUM

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2006, 02:11 PM
In the local paper last week, there was a blip about Heath as the Joker and they took a pic of the Joker grabbing Robin and the dialogue bubble from the Joker said, "I can't quit you!"

I chuckled.

But i do hope the BM jokes quit here soon. I mean, it's going to over two years when Dark Knight comes out. :crazed:

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Still on the veto block for Heath....although I like 'em. He seems too young and too GQ to be Joker. Bruce is the young playboy character in this new version, so like Highlander: there can be only one.

I had the same problem with Singer's new Superman: Why do we need someone young? Alex Ross was very sucessful with a more mature Man of Steel and we already had Reeve's icon....

Nolan did a terrific job with Batman Begins, but he did cast Katie Holmes......so even the best directors get stupid sometimes....

2-1B
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Good point about Tomkat, let's not be too quick to deify Mr. Nolan. :crazed:

General_Grievous
08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Loving the title. I can live with Ledger as Joker. It'd be perfect if they killed DA TomKat and brought in Clive Owen for Harvey Dent. And maybe bring in a new love interest. coughRACHELMCADAMScough

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Loving the title. I can live with Ledger as Joker. It'd be perfect if they killed DA TomKat and brought in Clive Owen for Harvey Dent. And maybe bring in a new love interest. coughRACHELMCADAMScough

All good ideas...

*I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Heath or Nolan....both are great. I just really appreciated that the new vision of Batman was of Bruce Wayne becoming the bat....Burton did well with the first vision of Batman making the Joker who made Batman....that was interesting and put a neo-goth quality to the Dark Night....after that the other three were progressive train wrechs....each giving us a new Batman (Returns as an exception) with the formula: here's a new Batman villian and how they got started, blah, blah, blah.....

We all knew the Joker was film 2 because of the final scene, but I'm relly hoping for more Wayne/Batman and less Rouge Villian Begins....

Hellboy
08-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Its more fun (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Hellboy1138/carrots.gif) being in the minority anyway Caesar. :thumbsup:

I had the same problem with Singer's new Superman: Why do we need someone young?

Brandon Routh and Heath Ledger are 27 and Christian Bale is 33 but could pass for 27 and that seems about right to me for the characters they're playing at this point in their adventures.

Nolan did a terrific job with Batman Begins, but he did cast Katie Holmes......so even the best directors get stupid sometimes....

I'm no fan of Katie but I don't think she was miscast. She wasn't bad in the role she just failed to bring anything extra to the part. Personally I didn't care for the character of Rachel much but she served a purpose in Bruce's transformation so I was okay with her. If you're looking for bad casting look no further than Spider-Man's Kirsten Dunst. :cross-eye

My faith in Ledger doesn't really come from any particular film but from his versatility as an actor. I watched Lords of Dogtown a few months ago and having next to no knowledge of the film beforehand I thought I was watching Val Kilmer before I realized it was Ledger. The guy has that chameleon quality about him that I think could prove beneficial in the role of the Joker. I have a feeling that when all is said and done people will be shocked at what Heath Ledger brings to the table.

JediTricks
08-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Clark Kent is a college graduate who has travelled the world and created a professional reputation for himself, then left the planet for 5 years and came back... at the age of 27. Don't get me started on the fact that Lois was played by a 22-year-old but had a career BEFORE Clark came to Metropolis.

The Joker had a full life before becoming the psychotic criminal mastermind, and again, he's always been a little older than Batman.

Katie Holmes was grossly miscast, not just because she's too young but she's not very good in the film. She was a young-looking and -acting 26 during the filming, playing a character supposedly as old as the 30-ish Bruce Wayne - mind you he spent years travelling the globe and learning the ways of the Bat. Rachel is supposed to be a LAWYER which means 5 or 6 years of college, and she's supposed to be a somewhat respected assistant district attorney so that's another few years of a career, it's not believable and she's not terribly believable.

I will grant you that Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man was awful casting, but not because of age.

Rocketboy
08-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Clark Kent is a college graduate who has travelled the world and created a professional reputation for himself, then left the planet for 5 years and came back... at the age of 27. Don't get me started on the fact that Lois was played by a 22-year-old but had a career BEFORE Clark came to Metropolis.Where did they say the characters ages in Superman Returns? They didn't. Just because an actor is a certain age it doesn't mean that their character is the same age.
It's like asking why Lois and Clark are still reporters in the comics - they should be in their darn near 100-years-old.

It's the whole suspension of disbelief thing - this is a movie about a super powered alien that flies.

El Chuxter
08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
And the other is about a guy who puts on black tights, drives a tank, and beats up ninjas and guys in Halloween masks. As much as I love them both, they take quite a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Hellboy
08-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Like Rocketboy I wasn't aware that any actual ages were revealed in Superman Returns. I remember Singer discussing some of the mythology he wanted to apply to his version and some of what he didn't like but I don't think it was enough to accurately determine Superman's age. There are so many different interpretations of the character you'd really need to know exactly what history is applicable and what is not. At one point it was even written that Kal-El aged at a normal rate but eventually stopped due to his exposure to a yellow sun and in current continuity I believe Superman is supposed to be 29. Whichever version you go with I think his age tends to hover around his late twenties and early thirties, which IMO suits Routh's look.

One thing I've come to expect from comic book characters is that they tend to reach a certain age and then stop. Obviously if you were to tally up all of their experiences and try to divide it into years its never going to add up.

preacher
08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Re: GQ style Joker

Why wouldn't a GQ Joker work? Makes perfect sense to me. What was the first thing that Jack Nicholas Joker did when the doc showed him his surgery. Napier went completely nuts. That was the moment when Joker was born. Seems to me that Napier's character is very charming, good-lucking, and vain. For crying out loud he makes gas so that he can poison people so that they have his same gruesome grin. If that isn't vanity packaged in sadism I don't know what is. You get a hint of that character in Burton's Batman, but as good as Jackie boy was at Joker. His Napier was stale and very stereotypical of a maffia type hitman. That really doesn't work because of his vanity. He considers himself waaaaay to good to work with an underground. All other criminals are beneath him.

Heath Ledger is a good choice because he can pull off charming, good-looking and vain. He has the GQ look - it will make Napier's transformation that much more believable. Heath Ledger is an excellent actor. Forget Brokeback mountain. Check out "Three Feathers".

Also, age is really irrelvent. Killian Murphy pulled off Scarecrow and he looks like he is twenty.

I think we are in for a treat with Heath as Joker.

darthvyn
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
One thing I've come to expect from comic book characters is that they tend to reach a certain age and then stop. Obviously if you were to tally up all of their experiences and try to divide it into years its never going to add up.

well, sure... they're monthly books, but it's not like a month passes in between every issue! if every monthly issue of superman were one day in the life of the hero, he'd only have aged 2 years!

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Where did they say the characters ages in Superman Returns? They didn't. Just because an actor is a certain age it doesn't mean that their character is the same age.
It's like asking why Lois and Clark are still reporters in the comics - they should be in their darn near 100-years-old.

It's the whole suspension of disbelief thing - this is a movie about a super powered alien that flies.Come on, there's "suspension of disbelief" and then there's just ridiculous, by your argument they may as well have hired 15-year-olds to play the parts since they'll certainly be able to stay with the franchise a whole generation longer than the current cast. Or why pick a cast at all, why not just have an empty suit or a mannequin playing the part and a voice-over? Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, and Katie Holmes all look very young because they are very young and they're PLAYING it from their ages, they're not stretching it to look older or play older (ok, Bosworth is but even with the stretch she's only about 26-27).

These character are played by young people, played AS young people, and that doesn't fit the characters they're intending to play.

Also, age is really irrelvent. Killian Murphy pulled off Scarecrow and he looks like he is twenty. Age is not irrelevant, otherwise like I said they'd just get teenagers to play the parts, but we all know that's what the Superboy TV show was for. Dean Cain was 27 when he started on Lois & Clark but his character was just starting out at the Daily Planet, Teri Hatcher was 29. And Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins was 28, and looked and played slightly older I felt, but 28 would have worked too really because of the character he was playing.

well, sure... they're monthly books, but it's not like a month passes in between every issue! if every monthly issue of superman were one day in the life of the hero, he'd only have aged 2 years! Are you counting post-Crisis only? ;)

Rocketboy
08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Come on, there's "suspension of disbelief" and then there's just ridiculous, by your argument they may as well have hired 15-year-olds to play the parts since they'll certainly be able to stay with the franchise a whole generation longer than the current cast. Or why pick a cast at all, why not just have an empty suit or a mannequin playing the part and a voice-over? Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, and Katie Holmes all look very young because they are very young and they're PLAYING it from their ages, they're not stretching it to look older or play older (ok, Bosworth is but even with the stretch she's only about 26-27).

These character are played by young people, played AS young people, and that doesn't fit the characters they're intending to play.15-year-olds? mannequins? Now who's being ridiculous?

How about the timeline then? Superman 2 took place in 1980. Superman Returns takes place 5 years after that - no, not 1985, but in 2006. 26 years later. If you can suspend your disbelief in the timeline, then a couple of years in characters ages should be no problem.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
You're the one saying age doesn't matter because we're supposed to suspend disbelief, why is 15 ridiculous? Kate Bosworth was only 7 years older than that when she played the Lois character, your point was we're supposed to just accept whatever they tell is is the case, my point was by that logic 15 year olds could have played the parts, and if Singer had done an all-mannequin cast we should have to accept it just as much... by your logic. :p

It's not a direct sequel, it's an homagequel, there's no Superman 1, 2 timeline to consider.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2006, 10:31 PM
It's not a direct sequel, it's an homagequel, there's no Superman 1, 2 timeline to consider.

Except for how Lex found the fortress and why Supes knocked up Lois....since the boy falls under the age between 2 and Returns...

Rocketboy
08-13-2006, 11:08 PM
You're the one saying age doesn't matter because we're supposed to suspend disbelief, why is 15 ridiculous? Kate Bosworth was only 7 years older than that when she played the Lois character, your point was we're supposed to just accept whatever they tell is is the case, my point was by that logic 15 year olds could have played the parts, and if Singer had done an all-mannequin cast we should have to accept it just as much... by your logic. :pThere is a huge difference between 15 and 22.

I'm ready to pronounce you the stilla of Superman. :D

It's not a direct sequel, it's an homagequel, there's no Superman 1, 2 timeline to consider.That's the first I've heard of that one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Yanked this from SHH:

Ledger on The Joker in The Dark Knight
Source: Toronto Sun, Toronto Star September 8, 2006

The Toronto Sun talked to Heath Ledger, who mentioned The Joker in The Dark Knight:

Come January, he starts playing the Joker, in Christopher Nolan's next Batman film The Dark Knight. "It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."

The Toronto Star also got a quote from Ledger about the role:

I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes

Yeah, i'm pretty excited about this. I was excited before, but this version of the Joker, ya know, the really bastard Joker we love, should be in this flick. All the love to Nicholson, but this could be the proper Joker. :D

Darth Jax
09-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, i'm pretty excited about this. I was excited before, but this version of the Joker, ya know, the really bastard Joker we love, should be in this flick. All the love to Nicholson, but this could be the proper Joker. :D

readers of the comic will be happy with that Joker, the general movie-going public will be sorry they aren't getting Jack.

scruffziller
09-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow. HOMAGEQUEL. You heard it first here on SSG.:D

Jargo
09-10-2006, 12:55 PM
oh why must you boys argue about everything.

I think i may the only one not impressed by batman begins. it all seemed a little bit precious and pretencious to me. tried too hard to be different. I liked the vehicle but not that much. And to be totally honest I highly doubt I'd watch a second outing unless it was for free. I certainly wouldn't pay to see it. or any other superhero movie for that matter. I grow tired of the big promises and failure to deliver anything other than formulaic.

Are there no new ideas anymore?

Kidhuman
09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Vyn wasnt impressed either MDP&

2-1B
09-10-2006, 08:26 PM
& neither was that other guy.

JediTricks
09-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm glad he's able to pay the role the right lip service, whether it's MORE than lip service or not remains to be seen but at least he's saying the right things which is a good step.

Rocketboy
01-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Bad news for the sequel: Rachel Dawes is in The Dark Knight.

Good news for the sequel: NO KATIE HOLMES!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369

After much speculation on the web, I got some news concerning casting on THE DARK KNIGHT (http://www.latinoreview.com/filmpreview.php?id=523), the sequel to BATMAN BEGINS (http://www.latinoreview.com/filmpreview.php?id=93)!

We gave the world the first look at the script review (http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369#) for BATMAN BEGINS (http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=13) 3 years ago so it goes without saying that my information is solid concerning this project. I don't get my information from any publicists, like other people do, those folks get spoon fed and believe me you expect other sites to start calling their peeps at WB to find out if this is true….Like they will ever tell you the truth.

So that being said...

It's official (no surprise), HARVEY DENT is in THE DARK KNIGHT (http://www.latinoreview.com/filmpreview.php?id=523). Matt Damon (http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369#) passed on the role. The filmmakers met Josh Lucas and there is an interest in Jamie Foxx and Ed Norton. I'm pretty sure there are other actors that I'm not aware of up for the Harvey Dent role.

Now the big news is that the character of RACHEL DAWES is back in THE DARK KNIGHT (http://www.latinoreview.com/filmpreview.php?id=523) but Katie Holmes won't be playing her!

No surprise there.

She is being replaced and the filmmakers (http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369#) are looking for that actress now. Let the speculation begin...

Some other minor roles...

Eastern European Heavy - tough bad guy mobster, 40s-50s
Female Cop - Latin, 30s. Elizabeth Pena type.
Asian Accountant - male, 40s
Sounds like a lot of diversity in the sequel!

Also according to Production Weekly (http://productionweekly.com/2007/01/10/this-week-in-production-weekly-544-january-11-2007-115-listings/), the film (http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369#) has been in pre-production as of January 11th.

Lastly there is no Oswald Cobblepot AKA The Penguin in THE DARK KNIGHT (http://www.latinoreview.com/filmpreview.php?id=523).

RooJay
01-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Female Cop - Latin, 30s. Elizabeth Pena type.

Rene Montoya, perhaps? Great character. She'd be a cool addition to the movie Batman world.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't think they should replace her with another actress as that would just be silly; bring in a new, less buzzkill inducing character. :thumbsup:

and for the love of God, Jamie Foxx as Harvey Dent?!?!? For the umpteenth time: Harvey Dent is NOT black. He's a white guy! Sign Ed Norton or Clive Owen and get on it! Lord!

El Chuxter
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
If Harvey Dent is one color, Two-Face must be the same color. At least, half of him does. It doesn't matter what color that is. Look at Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. Only great thing about that movie, he was.

Rocketboy
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't care what color Dent is as long as the actor is good. Kingpin was the perfect example. But Jaime Foxx? No f**king way.
If they want a black guy, go with Billy Dee Williams again.

Tycho
01-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Billy Dee Williams has gotten too old, I think.

Now Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko) could do awsome with the role. Remember the episodes when he was possessed by the Prophets or the Pa Wraiths? Or when he was infected with that psycho-tropic virus and was building that clock and trying to kill Major Kira?

If they want to go with a black guy, Avery Brooks would be so good! I don't know if he'd do it, but I think he'd have fun with the role should he really think about it.

He could also very smoothely play the Gotham District Attorney seriously, before he schizo's out.

Would I be correct or mistaken in thinking someone played Dent in a cameo appearance in Batman Begins?

Meanwhile, I don't think they should recast Katie Holmes - just kill Tom Cruise. Maybe have the Batmobile fall on him or something...

Actually, I don't really know if Cruise is all that bad. I can't really believe the tabloids. Maybe Jewish people are causing his problems and Mel Gibson is right? Or it's the blacks and Seinfeld's Richards has something on that? But maybe the aliens that Cruise has been expecting are actually here and they've possessed him?

In any case, it's not Katie Holmes' problem - or it shouldn't be.

Rocketboy
01-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Billy Dee Williams has gotten too old, I think. That was a joke.

Now Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko) could do awsome with the role. Remember the episodes when No...

Would I be correct or mistaken in thinking someone played Dent in a cameo appearance in Batman Begins?Not according to IMDB. Dent isn't listed in the cast credits.

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:12 PM
First: no Katie Holmes is always going to be a step in the right direction, she was awful. Maybe Rachel's interaction with Bruce will be minor and the character will barely be in the film as well.

Second: Sad to see such thoughtless casting for Harvey Dent - too many "young famous guys" that wouldn't fit the part. That sort of thing works on Smallville because that show is low-rent and TV and is obviously pandering to the youth audience.

Third: no Penguin is fine, he's not a very interesting character when you only have 3 hours to shoehorn him into the story, he only gets more interesting as a drawn out, multi-layered character.

Rene Montoya, perhaps? Great character. She'd be a cool addition to the movie Batman world.There's a character that I think, like the Penguin, just wouldn't get enough screen time to be done right. Renee Montoya does have some "history" with Two-Face though, that could be interesting if spun right.

I don't think they should replace her with another actress as that would just be silly; bring in a new, less buzzkill inducing character. :thumbsup:Agreed, but I'll take "No Katie Holmes" any way I can get it. :p

and for the love of God, Jamie Foxx as Harvey Dent?!?!? For the umpteenth time: Harvey Dent is NOT black. He's a white guy! Sign Ed Norton or Clive Owen and get on it! Lord!I don't care what ethnicity he is, he's part human and part monster, that's fine by me. I just wish Tim Burton had followed through and made Billy Dee into Two-Face. :D (Too bad Billy Dee is now apparently too frail to take on larger parts.) But Jamie Foxx is the wrong kind of actor for the part IMO based on his acting and mannerisms rather than ethnicity.

If Harvey Dent is one color, Two-Face must be the same color. At least, half of him does. It doesn't matter what color that is. Look at Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. Only great thing about that movie, he was.While I agree on the ethnicity angle, I don't agree about MCD as Kingpin in Daredevil, I thought he was a little too hammy as Wilson Fisk and the role wasn't written right (that opinion based only on my sole viewing of the film though).

Now Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko) could do awsome with the role. Remember the episodes when he was possessed by the Prophets or the Pa Wraiths? Or when he was infected with that psycho-tropic virus and was building that clock and trying to kill Major Kira?

If they want to go with a black guy, Avery Brooks would be so good! I don't know if he'd do it, but I think he'd have fun with the role should he really think about it.

He could also very smoothely play the Gotham District Attorney seriously, before he schizo's out.Well, he certainly can do the over-the-top acting well for Two-Face, but I'm not sure he is capable of pulling off the more mature, simple, business-like moments that Harvey Dent will require - Brooks often takes those scenes too emotional IMO.

Would I be correct or mistaken in thinking someone played Dent in a cameo appearance in Batman Begins?You would be mistaken, there was a different DA in the movie, he's killed about halfway through and we don't hear about his replacement.

In any case, it's not Katie Holmes' problem - or it shouldn't be.Her problem is that she's a bad movie actress and woefully miscast in the part.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Saw this and figured i'd post it:

Last week it was reported that Katie Holmes dropped out of the next Batman movie. Good news, right? Well, even better news coming from our friends at Film Ick, is that Holmes has been replaced by none other than Rachel McAdams.

I was a little upset when I heard that McAdams wasn’t going to star in Iron Man like previously rumoured (the role went to Gwyneth Paltrow), so this is very cool news indeed. I wouldn’t be surprised if McAdams turned down the role in Iron Man for a chance to star in the Batman sequel. I think she’s a perfect, cute as a button choice for the role.
Source (http://www.popoholic.com/2007/01/29/katie-holmes-out-rachel-mcadams-in/)

And according to herehere (http://filmick.blogspot.com/2007/01/way-im-hearing-these-dark-knight.html), she will NOT be playing Rachel Dawes. So it looks like Dawes is completely out. I'm liking these rumors.

And wasn't a thread for the NEW Batman movie? Did it get merged? why? :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
And wasn't a thread for the NEW Batman movie? Did it get merged? why? :thumbsup:

Here ya go:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32135&highlight=batman

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Here ya go:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32135&highlight=batman

Gracias! Once we get an official cast list, I'll try to redirect all "Dark Knight" discussion to that thread. Thanks again, lil' buddy. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Gracias! Once we get an official cast list, I'll try to redirect all "Dark Knight" discussion to that thread. Thanks again, lil' buddy. :thumbsup:
Mov'd! ;)

This thread may need a new title though.

And what's with the Kids in the Hall sigtar?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Mov'd! ;)

This thread may need a new title though.

And what's with the Kids in the Hall sigtar?

Nice! I renamed the thread to the movie title, "The Dark Knight."

and what, you don't like the Flying Pig?!!?? :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
01-30-2007, 08:20 PM
It keeps me entertained!

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
hey does anyone know what Tom Cruise has to do with the new Batman film ? I was watching the news last night and there was a snip about how Tom was making a complaint about the new Bats film and yet they said he wasn't even in it. Wonder if he was talking about Katie Holmes part in the film.

Kidhuman
01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
More than likely it was about Katie Holmes.

Tycho
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
But Katie can't be in the film.

In the movie, Bruce Wayne has a psychological problem, but Tom Cruise contends that many psychological problems do not exist.

LTBasker
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I was thinking about the sequel and realized Gordon probably still won't be commisioner for awhile, at least until the third one I imagine.

I've been really hoping they bring in Montoya and definitely Bullock and realized, Bullock would be good for a new partner for Gordon for the 2nd movie. Then, when Gordon is finally promoted, Montoya is brought in and joined with Bullock and they become Gordon's "favorite" team for fighting corruption in the GCPD.

If they do bring in Bullock, I think ideal casting for him would be Oliver Platt. As for Montoya, I can't really think of someone I'd really like to see for her, only one that comes to mind is maybe that woman that played Sanchez in SWAT?

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 01:21 AM
and what, you don't like the Flying Pig?!!?? :thumbsup:Heh heh. No, I prefer son of flying pig. :p (I find Bruce McCulloch and his characters to be my least-favorite Kid in the Hall, even though he's not half as annoying as Kevin and Mark)

I was thinking about the sequel and realized Gordon probably still won't be commisioner for awhile, at least until the third one I imagine. Actually, I wouldn't mind if they jumped him ahead at least some point in the movie to that role in the department.

I've been really hoping they bring in Montoya and definitely Bullock and realized, Bullock would be good for a new partner for Gordon for the 2nd movie. Then, when Gordon is finally promoted, Montoya is brought in and joined with Bullock and they become Gordon's "favorite" team for fighting corruption in the GCPD.This I think is a bad idea, Bullock basically was the "fat bad cop" character before his change of heart, and this might come off too close to Detective Flass in Batman Begins (the film version of Flass is closer to how Bullock is portrayed in the comics than Flass is portrayed in them).

If they do bring in Bullock, I think ideal casting for him would be Oliver Platt.Wow, I'm not seeing that at all! Platt's face is a bit too youthful and happy for the character, nowhere near enough "experience" in that actor's face.

LTBasker
02-01-2007, 02:16 AM
How I consider Bullock to act and such is based entirely off of BTAS where his character was unsupportive of Batman and co., basically a sarcastic jerk but he did actually appreciate the help (sometimes) and held full respect for Gordon. That's the only type of Bullock I know, I've never seen how he's portrayed in the comics especially since I've only read the Hush series, don't think he was even in that.

That's why I see Oliver Platt as being the best candidate for the role, he is very good at playing the loud-mouthed sarcastic jerk with a good side.

If they were to make him less like the BTAS version though, maybe Tom Sizemore?

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Bulloch's an arse, but he's never been a bad cop.

Qui-Long Gone
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow, I'm not seeing that at all! Platt's face is a bit too youthful and happy for the character, nowhere near enough "experience" in that actor's face.

They can age Platt and he probably reads older on screen now than he did 5-8 years ago....

What about John C. Riley (check him out in Magnolia as the goof-cop....he can bring the heavy even though he's always the big doof....Talladaga Nights....)

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
How I consider Bullock to act and such is based entirely off of BTAS where his character was unsupportive of Batman and co., basically a sarcastic jerk but he did actually appreciate the help (sometimes) and held full respect for Gordon. That's the only type of Bullock I know, I've never seen how he's portrayed in the comics especially since I've only read the Hush series, don't think he was even in that.

That's why I see Oliver Platt as being the best candidate for the role, he is very good at playing the loud-mouthed sarcastic jerk with a good side.

If they were to make him less like the BTAS version though, maybe Tom Sizemore?I still don't see Platt's face on the BTAS version of the character though. Sizemore's more like it but he'd have to put on more weight.

Bulloch's an arse, but he's never been a bad cop.Bullock's introduction was as a bad cop working for the mayor to bring down Gordon. His post-crisis version is a "bad cop" who sorta works for the good guys when he's not taking bribes and such.

They can age Platt and he probably reads older on screen now than he did 5-8 years ago....

What about John C. Riley (check him out in Magnolia as the goof-cop....he can bring the heavy even though he's always the big doof....Talladaga Nights....)Aging the actors won't matter, both of the guys you cited don't really have that "experience" thing that Bullock has in his face, Riley has some wear on his mug but also has that icky babyface thing going on too.

LTBasker
02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Oh ok, I see what you mean, for some reason I never really thought about the more light-hearted facial appearance, I was focusing on who could best deliver the sarcastic banter. So yeah, it would be pushing it to try for a BTAS version, Platt might be able to live up to the TNBA Bullock though, they made him a little younger and less weathered looking (probably mainly due to the plain animation).

Sizemore could probably gain some pounds if it were required, I think he's varied in his weight often. I don't think they would really look at him for a part though considering his common problems with the law. It'd be rather ironic.

Can't think of anyone else right now...oh, what about Ving Rhames? :p

JediTricks
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I just don't see Platt able to pull off a guy who looks like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bullock1.gif

Also, I dunno what it is, but Platt doesn't really ever work for me as a tough mug type of guy - he doesn't seem like a guy who can slap people around, he looks like his most powerful attacks come from his wits.

Sizemore though, he looks like he could take a guy in a barfight. :D

Ving Rhames is almost the go-to guy for a part like this, typecast if you will. He'd probably be good with the part, but he's SO obvious that it might telegraph the character's not being a totally bad cop thing.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
We have our Two-Face/Harvey Dent! Aaron Eckhart ("Thank You For Smoking") has been cast as Harvey! I approve.

source: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20012154,00.html

Attached a pic.

:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Not only Harv, but Two-Face already? Wow.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Sizemore's more like it but he'd have to put on more weight.

Probably a tall order given his past heroin addiction and meth relapses. :(
But I hear he's fighting his addictions, so I wish him well in that regard.
And the Hedi Fleiss accusations do seem viciously made up, so who knows...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Not only Harv, but Two-Face already? Wow.

Not necessarily. I don't see Two-Face showing up in this flick or being hte primary villian. We'll see though. :thumbsup:

stillakid
02-17-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm ready to pronounce you the stilla of Superman. :D

Wow, I'm proud. I've become a sort of iconic symbol. :) Then again, shouldn't Truth and Logic be held in high-esteem?

stillakid
02-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I would've preferred to see an understated and underappreciated actor like David Straithern play Harvey Dent. He would make the perfect Harvey and I'd like to see how David would have stretched to become Two-Face.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 08:00 AM
We have our Two-Face/Harvey Dent! Aaron Eckhart ("Thank You For Smoking") has been cast as Harvey! I approve.

source: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20012154,00.html

Attached a pic.

Dang, that's not a bad choice at all! The guy looks the Harvey Dent part and has range, but he's not too well-known to overwhelm the part.

Probably a tall order given his past heroin addiction and meth relapses. :(
But I hear he's fighting his addictions, so I wish him well in that regard.
And the Hedi Fleiss accusations do seem viciously made up, so who knows...He could wear a fat suit.

He should have known better than to get involved with Heidi Fleiss, considering what she's notorious for, it should have been like a neon sign that blinks "trouble!"

I would've preferred to see an understated and underappreciated actor like David Straithern play Harvey Dent. He would make the perfect Harvey and I'd like to see how David would have stretched to become Two-Face.Straithern? The guy's pushing 60! Harvey Dent is supposed to be a peer of Bruce Wayne, a young up-and-comer at the DA's office whose meteoric rise is tragically cut short by a vicious attack when a mob boss throws acid into his face while being cross-examined by Dent in court.

Rocketboy
02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Then again, shouldn't Truth and Logic be held in high-esteem?Yes, it should...but what do truth and logic have to do with you?

General_Grievous
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Check out "The Dark Knight" page on imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Apparently Maggie Gyllenhaal is rumored to take over the role of Rachel Dawes. They should have done this from the beginning. Maggie is a much better actress than that f**kwit Katie Holmes (and, IMO, more attractive). Although I would have rather seen Katie Holmes come back and be killed off and have Maggie play a new love interest for Bruce, I'm very content with this. At least Chris Nolan has the common sense to get rid of Holmes. Now, if Gyllenhaal had been in Batman Begins instead, it would have been so much more awesome.

Qui-Long Gone
02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Maggie is better than Katie, but Kate Winslet or Scarlet Johanson would have been EVEN BETTER....

Rocketboy
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Check out "The Dark Knight" page on imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Apparently Maggie Gyllenhaal is rumored to take over the role of Rachel Dawes. They should have done this from the beginning. Maggie is a much better actress than that f**kwit Katie Holmes (and, IMO, more attractive). Although I would have rather seen Katie Holmes come back and be killed off and have Maggie play a new love interest for Bruce, I'm very content with this. At least Chris Nolan has the common sense to get rid of Holmes. Now, if Gyllenhaal had been in Batman Begins instead, it would have been so much more awesome.Yeah, I've heard it could either be her or some other chick (Rachael McAdams?), but the Gyllenhall being the more likely candidate.
From what I've seen of Maggie Gyllenhaal, she doesn't seem to be "sexy" enough to be Batman's love interest.

El Chuxter
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
So Heath Ledger is the Joker.

And now a Gyllenhall is rumored.

Is this Batman Begins 2 or Brokeback Mountain 2?

Qui-Long Gone
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
only if Jake is brought on to play Robin!!!!!!!!!

General_Grievous
02-24-2007, 11:15 PM
From what I've seen of Maggie Gyllenhaal, she doesn't seem to be "sexy" enough to be Batman's love interest.

Good day, sir!! :mad:

Rocketboy
02-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Good day, sir!! :mad:I didn't say she was fug (I actually think she's kinds acute). Maggie doesn't have the general sex appeal that Katie Holmes HAD.

General_Grievous
02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, you're right about the past-tense. Remember the mouth sores? Even so, I never found Katie Holmes sexy because she looks like she's 13.

But Maggie's sexy. If anyone's seen "Secretary", you know what I'm talking about. :whip:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah, you're right about the past-tense. Remember the mouth sores? Even so, I never found Katie Holmes sexy because she looks like she's 13.

But Maggie's sexy. If anyone's seen "Secretary", you know what I'm talking about. :whip:

Dude, you see "Stranger than Fiction?" She was SMOKING hot in that flick. A free spirited baker with sleeves. Dear GOD IN HEAVEN. :love: :love: :love:

Posted by Chux: "So Heath Ledger is the Joker.

And now a Gyllenhall is rumored.

Is this Batman Begins 2 or Brokeback Mountain 2?"

Dude, seriously:
A. Brokeback jokes are about 2 years outdated now.
B. Ang Lee isn't directing.
C. Wrong Gyllenhall.
Get with the program!....or at least get some better jokes, Leno. :crazed:

Qui-Long Gone
02-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Dude, seriously:
A. Brokeback jokes are about 2 years outdated now.
B. Ang Lee isn't directing.
C. Wrong Gyllenhall.
Get with the program!....or at least get some better jokes, Leno. :crazed:

You sir are wrong.....:whip:

Brokeback jokes are always funny.....;)

General_Grievous
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Brokeback jokes are always funny....

...in 2005.

El Chuxter
02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I was just pointing out that a Gyllenhall and Ledger were going to be onscreen together again, even if it's not the same Gyllenhall.

Brokeback Mountain jokes will never die. It's a great movie, and will be watched for generations to come, and each subsequent generation will re-discover the joys of saying "Ah wish Ah knew how ta quit you" at otherwise inappropriate times.

Qui-Long Gone
02-25-2007, 11:02 PM
...in 2005.

ack ack ack ack was so 1996, but that's still funny....

General_Grievous
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Fair enough. But that wasn't overdone as much as the Brokeback ones. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Ang Lee said "I wish I knew how to quit you" at the Oscars.

El Chuxter
02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Eat Drink Man Woman

Sense and Sensibility

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hulk

Brokeback Mountain

And that's just the ones I've seen. He has others.

Face it, Ang Lee could come out wearing a clown costume, poop on the stage, and then dry-hump the Oscar statue while singing "The Barber of Seville," and he'd still rule.

General_Grievous
02-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I've only seen the last three on that list, Chux. I thought "Crouching Tiger" was great, "Hulk" was disappointing, and "Brokeback" was overrated. To me, he's no Spielberg. And nobody could come out on stage wearing a clown costume, poop and dry-hump the Oscar statue while singing "The Barber of Seville" except Jack Nicholson. :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
02-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Or the Aristocrats!!!:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Tis been confirmed: Maggie Gyllenhaal is taking over for Holmes as Rachel Dawes. Stole this from SHH:

Maggie Gyllenhaal is in final talks to star opposite Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, reports Variety.

She'll play the role of Rachel Dawes, played by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins. Holmes dropped out of the project earlier in the year.

The cast also includes Heath Ledger, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart.

Nolan is set to start filming in the late spring or early summer. Warner Bros. Pictures is eyeing a July 18, 2008 release.

The producers are Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Nolan. Legendary Pictures and Warner are co-financing partners on the project.

I approve of this change. She would've been a better choice in the first place. She's far more attractive, less annoying and hey, might even be likeable! I also read that Cillian Murphy isn't commenting on Scarecrow and a possible return.I'm guessing it's not happening in this flick. Either way: Gyllenhaal's addition is a plus! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Yay, no Katie Holmes!

General_Grievous
03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Now why didn't they do this with "Batman Begins"? Oh, and before I forget...Ha, ha! Nobody wants you anymore except for a crazy couch jumper, Katie Holmes! Take your crummy acting somewhere else! Don't let the door hit you on your way out of the franchise!:p

JediTricks
03-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Rumor has it that she turned the role down here because Tom was upset about romantic scenes she'd have to do. And just when you thought they couldn't get any creepier.

jjreason
03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Eat Drink Man Woman

Sense and Sensibility

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hulk

Brokeback Mountain

And that's just the ones I've seen. He has others.

The Ice Storm. Very good show.

General_Grievous
03-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh, I saw that and liked it. I just wasn't aware Ang Lee directed it. Though it was kind of creepy to see Frodo attempt to hump Wednesday Addams. If you saw it, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Rocketboy
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
First look at The Joker? (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5530)

General_Grievous
04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't think he's in full make up yet (at least I hope he's not). But I'm interested to see if Heath can pull it off.

BTW, do you think we'll see a teaser trailer this summer? If I had to guess, I'd say it would be attached to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", since it's a Warner Bros. film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Interesting, but i'm liking it.......from what i can see from a pic from far away!! :crazed:

Kidhuman
04-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Not much to see, kind of looks like a younger jack the way his Hair is

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
An article at Yahoo News has confirmed:

Batman will fight the Joker in none other than the (drumroll please!) The Gotham National Bank!!!

Okay, maybe there won't be a fight. But a building being used for filming caught fire, and the article reported that the signage placed on the building for the filming bore that fateful name.

Perhaps Egghead and Louie the Lilac will appear?

General_Grievous
04-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Perhaps Egghead and Louie the Lilac will appear?

They started the damn fire!

Rocketboy
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Awesome. Every Batman movie should have a scene in the Gotham National Bank.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Eric Roberts has joined the cast!

Eric Roberts Joins The Dark Knight
Source: LA Daily News April 25, 2007

LA Daily News reports that Eric Roberts, who is currently appearing in "Heroes" and "The L Word," will play a Mafia kingpin in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, joining the production in June.

"I don't stop working. I'm a workaholic. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm too overexposed to ever be a superstar, so I'm happy to be a working actor every day," explains the actor also known as rising star Emma Roberts' dad, and superstar Julia's brother.

Of "Heroes," he notes, "It's a blast to walk into a hit show with none of the pressure of making it a hit."

Source: shh!

I'm enjoying him on HEROES, so i'm alright with this. I'm assuming it'll be a small role, but still, good for him! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
04-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Think he'll play Boss Moroni, the guy responsible for Harvey Dent's disfigurement?

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 03:03 PM
As long as he doesn't sing "Loving You." If he hits that high note, the bomb will go off.

General_Grievous
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
As long as he doesn't sing "Loving You." If he hits that high note, the bomb will go off.

Dude, I'm so about to school you in South Park trivia.:p

Eric Roberts didn't sing "Loving You". John Stamos's brother did. Eric Roberts portrayed Dr. Mephisto's pet monkey in a television re-enactment of the shooting of Dr. Mephisto in "Cartman's Mom is Still A Dirty Slut". When the cast and crew of the re-enactment were snowed in, they reverted to cannibalism, and Eric Roberts was the first one they ate because, according to the mayor of South Park, "nobody gives a s**t about Eric Roberts". :D

El Chuxter
04-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Ah, dammit, it's been too long since I've seen that episode.

I stand corrected.

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
That was downright painful to watch.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Eric Roberts confirms his role in TDK

"I'm a Mafioso in THE DARK KNIGHT and I haven't seen the script; all I've seen is the pages they sent me to audition. It's all very hush hush. We're going to be shooting in Chicago and London. I love Christian Bale what an actor. I have interactions with both Heath Ledger and Christian Bale and I am a bad guy. It was thanks to HEROES that I started to get this new found appreciation for the comic book genre.

Source: SHH! :thumbsup:

LTBasker
05-20-2007, 12:10 AM
It's unclear right now wether this is an official Warner promotion, the site wasn't registered by Warner but it was registered before the www.ibelieveinharveydent.com site was put up.

Anyhoo.

http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/

After you submit the code you get an email and have 5 minutes to enter the image cooridinates that will reveal a pixel to complete the image that pixelates over the graffitied poster.

Apparently the url was found on some trading cards left in a random comic shop. Pretty weird, if it is a wb promotion then it really shows the power of "word-of-mouth" advertising on the internet.

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 01:12 AM
I sent it in and I never got an e-mail back within five minutes. Hell, it's been hours since I sent it in and entered the code and I still haven't got anything. Well, it doesn't matter now, since the pixels are almost complete. It seems to be a close up of the Joker's face.

EDIT: I just found the image on the Superhero Hype boards. Pretty creepy.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Here is the animated gif of it: http://www.mywasteofspace.com/ibelieveinharveydenttoo.gif

I hope the actual makeup is far more cleaned up and precise and doesn't look sloppy. I'm sure it will be, just sayin'. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 01:43 AM
If they show his origin in the film, I'm sure that's what he'd look like after the acid bath. He'd look a bit more cleaned up afterwards.

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
NO MORE DAMN ORIGINS! God I hope they don't do another origin story, the Joker's origin is unnecessary to the movie character IMO and just detracts from the main storytelling. We didn't need to see everything about Ra's Al Ghul or Scarecrow or Carmine Falcone to know what kind of villains they were.

Sorry, I am just really feeling strongly about this issue after the last few years of comic movies suffering over-originitis.

Anyway, the image is mostly complete on that "too" page, and I'm betting it's the real mccoy. The scarred smile on the right (his right) seems like it works, but the left side seems wonky. I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but I don't feel like I'm closed off to it.

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
NO MORE DAMN ORIGINS! God I hope they don't do another origin story, the Joker's origin is unnecessary to the movie character IMO and just detracts from the main storytelling. We didn't need to see everything about Ra's Al Ghul or Scarecrow or Carmine Falcone to know what kind of villains they were.

Sorry, I am just really feeling strongly about this issue after the last few years of comic movies suffering over-originitis.

Anyway, the image is mostly complete on that "too" page, and I'm betting it's the real mccoy. The scarred smile on the right (his right) seems like it works, but the left side seems wonky. I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but I don't feel like I'm closed off to it.

I don't think there'll be a Joker origin in this movie. That's more of a Marvel movie thing. But there is a possibility that it could be included, since one of the influences for the film was "The Killing Joke", which shed some light on Joker's origin. I don't want to see a Joker origin either, because it would take the movie away from Batman, kind of like what the 1989 Burton film did. The only villain origin we should see in these movies is Two-Face's, since it's important to the plot.

BTW, after looking at the image more and more, the more Joker reminds me of a little girl who got into her mom's purse and started going crazy with the lipstick. That, or he just ate a cherry popsicle. Not that it's a bad thing, since it kind of adds to Joker's insanity.

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 10:11 PM
The only villain origin we should see in these movies is Two-Face's, since it's important to the plot.It also makes a big difference that Two-Face is a character who has interactions with Bruce Wayne/Batman before Harvey becomes a villain, and not in that cheap "I made you, you made me" Burton way.

BTW, after looking at the image more and more, the more Joker reminds me of a little girl who got into her mom's purse and started going crazy with the lipstick. That, or he just ate a cherry popsicle. Not that it's a bad thing, since it kind of adds to Joker's insanity.Yeah, his red smile has "crazy" written all over it in that photo.

Qui-Long Gone
05-20-2007, 11:17 PM
It also makes a big difference that Two-Face is a character who has interactions with Bruce Wayne/Batman before Harvey becomes a villain, and not in that cheap "I made you, you made me" Burton way.

Come on JT, that was a good plot twist for its time. It had that Frank Miller Dark Knight vibe that psychos like Joker existed because of Batman and vice versa....

I agree no more origin stories please....we already had BEGINS....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-21-2007, 10:08 AM
More casting info:

"The Dead Zone" star Anthony Michael Hall revealed to LA Daily News that he has a role in Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight, currently filming for a July 18, 2008 release.

"I signed a confidentiality agreement, and I can't say which part I'm playing because it affects the story," said Hall. "I can't give away the suspense - it's a $200 million surprise, and I don't want to be the guy to ruin it."

He added, "I'm excited about it - Christian Bale back as Batman. Heath Ledger is joining the cast as the Joker. Of course, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine return, and they're great."

While he's shooting the sixth season of the USA Network series, he was able to make it for the first day of production in London the weekend before last. He said he's not scheduled to rejoin shooting until August, after "The Dead Zone" is wrapped.

"They're shooting in London, Chicago and Hong Kong. My next dates are in Chicago, the third week of August with Morgan, then I get to go back to London."

"It's really a great role," he added. "I'm in throughout the whole movie, and I'm really looking forward to working with Christian and Morgan and all these real Hollywood heavy hitters."

Any guesses as to who he's playing??

Source: SHH! :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
05-21-2007, 10:50 AM
A. Riddler
B. Mr. Freeze
C. Old Robin/Nightwing
D. Thug #2
E. Mad Hatter

General_Grievous
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd go with choice D.

But still, Farmer Ted is in The Dark Knight...I guess it's a good thing if he's playing a villain, because he was a good bad guy in "Edward Scissorhands".

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Come on JT, that was a good plot twist for its time. It had that Frank Miller Dark Knight vibe that psychos like Joker existed because of Batman and vice versa....I really don't see that one at all, it felt too much like a contrivance, a reason that Batman "has to get personal". I don't know if it was Burton trying to put his stamp on the franchise or the studio meddling to make their encounters more meaningful, but it only served to shrink the scope of both characters IMO. Instead of the escalation of crime in general leading to Batman's creation which in turn leads to the escalation of criminals' behaviors, we get this little dance where bad-seed Jack Napier starts everything.

More casting info:

Any guesses as to who he's playing??The ruiner of the movie? Anthony Michael Hall is an interesting actor, but I can't see him being anything other than a distraction here, he's too recognizable and he has a very well-known set of acting beats.

Tycho
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Wasn't Anthony Michael Hall in 21 Jump Street with Johnny Depp a long time ago?

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
No, that was Richard Grieco on 21 Jump Street. The only time AMH worked with Depp was in Edward Scissorhands, when AMH had his breakout role as the big football jerk (the second set of his acting beats).

Rocketboy
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/ is now gone...sort of.

The Joker Will See You in December!
Source: celticbaptist
May 21, 2007

The new image (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20534) of Heath Ledger (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20544#) as The Joker in The Dark Knight (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15813) has now been removed from IBelieveinHarveyDentToo.com (http://www.ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/). It's been replaced with red text that gives the error, "Page not found." If you highlight the entire page, however, you'll see a ton of Ha Ha Ha's with some letters here and there that don't belong. String those letters together and what do you get? - "See you in December."

We assume you'll get a first look at The Joker in a trailer for the sequel at that time. Warner Bros. has both Nicole Kidman's (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20544#) The Golden Compass (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=7892) and Will Smith's (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20544#) I Am Legend (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11189) opening in December, to which the teaser could be attached to.

So who is behind all this? It looks to be 42 Entertainment (http://www.42entertainment.com/), the company which previously created the "I Love Bees" promotion for "Halo 2 (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20544#)" and "Year Zero" for the Nine Inch Nails album "Year Zero." The company just registered SeeYouinDecember.com (http://www.seeyouindecember.com/) yesterday, so stay tuned.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20544

General_Grievous
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
So that might be the second trailer, as there are rumors that a teaser might premiere with "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix".

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Anthony Michael Hall will be playing the voice of Scarface. Whatshisface who played in Dodgeball and voices Jim Dauterive on King of the Hill will be The Ventriloquist.

Also, Elijah Wood will be playing Anarky, and Jonny Depp will be Azrael.

(Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

Tycho
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
They should re-cast Alfred with Gilbert Godfrey.

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
And Chuck Norris as Lt. Gordon...Texas Ranger....

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
"I hear Jim Gordon has no chin under his beard, just another fist."

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Jim Gordon's tears could cure Gotham's criminals....too bad he never cries..

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-28-2007, 11:59 PM
From USAToday:

First look: Enter the Joker — in the IMAX format

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — All directors promise that their sequels will be bigger and flashier than the predecessors'. But Christopher Nolan doesn't mess around.
The director's sequel to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, will become the first feature film to be partly shot in the IMAX format, an expensive and cumbersome process that typically is the province of documentaries and short films.

Nolan will shoot four action sequences — including the introduction of the Joker, played by Heath Ledger — on IMAX.

The move is one of Hollywood's most pronounced steps yet in its embrace of IMAX theaters, which are increasingly showing commercial fare on their giant screens.

"There's simply nothing like seeing a movie that way," Nolan says. "It's more immersive for the audience. I wish I could shoot the entire thing this way."

Typically, the feature films that play in IMAX theaters are simply stretched out to fill the enormous screens. That can dilute the picture quality and give the movie a wide, squat look.

Shooting on IMAX, Nolan says, will have a twofold effect. The four scenes will fill the IMAX screens, some of which are eight stories high. And in traditional theaters, the scenes will appear more vivid (think high-definition television over standard).

Don't expect many movies to follow suit. Only 280 IMAX theaters are in operation worldwide, and fewer than 100 show feature films.

And shooting in the format is difficult. IMAX film, which is 10 times the size of standard film stock, is costly and must be shot using bulky cameras.

And "they're loud," Nolan says. "We had to figure a way to eliminate the sound so we could shoot dialogue."

In a rarity for Hollywood, the payoff isn't primarily financial, so far. "It doesn't have a huge effect yet on the money you bring in," says Chris Aronson, a distribution chief with 20th Century Fox, which carried Night at the Museum on IMAX. "But it does help make your movie more of an event."

For Nolan, IMAX makes the moviegoing experience unique again.

"You can't do this on any home theater," Nolan says. "Batman has some of the most extraordinary characters in pop culture. We wanted the Joker to have the grandest entrance possible.

"I figured if you could take an IMAX camera to Mount Everest or outer space, you could use it in a feature movie."

They included two new pics as well, one of him masked a blurry, but good shot of him in action. I gotta say with what I can see of him behind that mirror thing, I'm REALLY approving of this design. The green hair, the makeup and the purple are all coming together nicely. I wish the makeup wasn't so smeared and long cos it's like the Joker meets the Crow, but it will probably grow on me. Awesome. :thumbsup:

Tycho
05-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Darn it! The article said nothing about realizing my dream of seeing Gilbert Gottfried on an IMAX screen. :mad:

El Chuxter
05-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Gilbert will be Scarface in Batman Begins 3. I was wrong about Anthony Michael Hall.

(If any of you know who the hell I'm talking about, I bet you'll agree that he'd be ideally cast in that role.)

Tycho
05-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to see Gilbert Gottfried fight Chuck Norris in exciting archetype action? Perhaps they'd do battle over Suzanne Sommers?

LTBasker
05-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Gilbert will be Scarface in Batman Begins 3. I was wrong about Anthony Michael Hall.

(If any of you know who the hell I'm talking about, I bet you'll agree that he'd be ideally cast in that role.)

Seriously, Godfrey might not be too bad for Scarface if he could get a bit more of a serious tone. They'll probably go another direction though...like Laurence Fishburne. :p

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Did you guys see this (http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Heath-Joker.jpg) pic??

darko666
06-06-2007, 11:24 PM
with the amount of photoshopped images floating around, it's hard to believe whats real and fake. looks interesting though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Did you guys see this (http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Heath-Joker.jpg) pic??

I'm 99% sure it's fake; this was posted at SHH weeks and weeks ago and it has been disregarded as false. Thanks for the attempted link though, JH! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 01:44 AM
with the amount of photoshopped images floating around, it's hard to believe whats real and fake. looks interesting though.
Yeah, that's my first feeling seeing it as well.

Beast
06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Not a fan of the Joker design for the movie.

And the first look of the new Batman costume also gives me great dread. :(

http://home.houston.rr.com/cr0w/newbatmansuit.jpg

LTBasker
06-14-2007, 09:49 PM
The suit looks pretty similar to the Batman Begins suit, it doesn't sound so much like they decided he needed an entirely different thus "new" suit, rather it looks more like an upgrade. Really, changes make sense. The suit is a modgepodge of military armor and other bits, Bruce would most likely make further modifications to make it more efficient as time goes on.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 10:18 PM
As long as they don't add nipples or eyebrows, I'm cool with whatever they do. Realistically, he can't be running around in spandex or thin, featureless kevlar.

Beast
06-14-2007, 10:20 PM
As long as they don't add nipples or eyebrows, I'm cool with whatever they do. Realistically, he can't be running around in spandex or thin, featureless kevlar.
He's freakin' Batman. He shouldn't have a suit like Iron Man.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
No, because then he would be boring like Iron Man. :)

But, seriously, armor has to have some detailing. Featureless armor isn't particularly effective.

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
No, because then he would be boring like Iron Man. :)And the world's biggest alcoholic superhero.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
That's the weird thing--Iron Man is so complicated, he should be interesting. But I've always found him incredibly dull.

Beast
06-15-2007, 12:32 AM
See. I told you guys it looked more like Iron Man than Batman! :p

http://www.fwooshnet.com/mag/ironbat.jpg

El Chuxter
06-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Please do not insult Batman in such a way again.

Batman = cool super-rich superhero

Iron Man = boring super-rich turd

Beast
06-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Please do not insult Batman in such a way again.

Batman = cool super-rich superhero

Iron Man = boring super-rich turd
Batman = Major Mommy and Daddy Issues. Has to hide his idenity. Girl problems.

Iron Man = Recovering Alchoholic. No Secret I.D. Sleeps with supermodels on Space Stations.

Winner. The guy who's motivation isn't Mommy and Daddy dying. :D

El Chuxter
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
And how many successful television shows has Iron Man had?

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. The only cool thing about Iron Man is the Mandarin, and he's underused.

JediTricks
06-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Not a fan of the Joker design for the movie.

And the first look of the new Batman costume also gives me great dread. :(

http://home.houston.rr.com/cr0w/newbatmansuit.jpgYeah, I must agree with you here, this is exactly the techification that only serves to hurt the character, not enhance him.

As long as they don't add nipples or eyebrows, I'm cool with whatever they do. Realistically, he can't be running around in spandex or thin, featureless kevlar.But he doesn't have to broadcast that he's just some jerk in a suit, he uses fear as a weapon against evil - even the '89 film got this right. We don't need to see Batman's nifty undercoating and knick knacks and other crap they tack onto the suit to know it's rippling under a covering. He looks in this like he's wearing some sort of misguided Tron costume.

But, seriously, armor has to have some detailing. Featureless armor isn't particularly effective.I totally disagree with this assessment, it is what Batman does and the aura he projects which makes him interesting, not the costume. Hell, Batman Begins was entertaining and he wasn't even WEARING the costume until halfway through the film.

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
NO NO NO NO NO!!! Make it stop, make the toyeticism of Batman stop! :(

Now there's the "Batpod", it appears to be the tires of the Tumbler but in ridiculous motorcycle form with lots of guns:
http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/33048

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm??g=13f4067e-e33c-4d98-96b1-51bafdd4f35e&t=m17&f=06/64&p=source_today%20show&fg=&gt1=100

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???!!!???

Rocketboy
06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow, they managed to make something dumber that the Tumbler...

Beast
06-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm just waiting for the huge Batman fans to throw a wobbler over the fact it's described as having "Grappling Hooks, Machine Guns, and Cannons" on it. Since people had a fit that Batman had machine guns on the Batmobile and Batplane in Burton's Batman. ;)

2-1B
06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Meredith didn't look half bad on that thing.

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I mentioned the guns, they look perfectly toyetic and totally anti-batman. Man, this is not a good week for Bats.

General_Grievous
06-20-2007, 12:26 AM
I forsee the same thing happening with the Batpod that happened with the Tumbler. People will hate it at first, but then get used to it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I like the suit and I don't mind the new bike. I don't see how folks can complain about it as we haven't even seen it in action. Go figure.

and my bro lives in Chicago and has chatted with folks about the filming that has been going on. He mentioned a scene where The Joker crashes a party that Bruce wayne is holding. Sounds pretty crazay! :crazed: And I think I did the spoiler text properly. If not, my apologies! :)

LTBasker
06-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I have a few technical concerns over the "BatPod"

1. Surely you'd want a guard over the rear tire so your cape wouldn't get caught.

2. The guns are explainable that it's a military purpose vehicle like the Tumbler (though what the hell could it really do?) but they have next to no space for ammo storage. It looks like they'd have at the very most 2 shots possible and that's even stretching it. Rather pointless...

3. I hope he's got lenses in mind for the cowl otherwise seeing at high speeds is gonna be tough.

4. They should've just gone with a Dodge Tomahawk. o_O

Hopefully he doesn't use it very often in the movie, maybe just as a quick way to move about Gotham at crowded traffic times?

I saw on another board theres a rumor it's like an "escape pod" for the Tumbler with the possibility of the Tumbler getting destroyed. That doesn't seem right though, where could it possibly go? Granted, he can go prone in the Tumbler to fire rockets and such, but theres no space underneath to house the rest of it. As well, it would be pointless to have that much armament on an escape pod.

I don't want to hate it so early as I have faith in Nolan, but it really seems a little too much like one of those cheesy vehicles with Batman permenently attached that Mattel puts out.

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I forsee the same thing happening with the Batpod that happened with the Tumbler. People will hate it at first, but then get used to it.I kinda doubt it, there's more to like about the Tumbler, all this has is some fat wheels and a seat and some guns.

and my bro lives in Chicago and has chatted with folks about the filming that has been going on. He mentioned a scene where The Joker crashes a party that Bruce wayne is holding. Sounds pretty crazay! :crazed: And I think I did the spoiler text properly. If not, my apologies! :)Close enough, though the color code is f0eded so it should look like this:
spoiler text would go here
and it'd look like this:
===spoiler text would go here===
(I usually put something ahead to let folks know there's text there, like I'm doing with those equals signs)

1. Surely you'd want a guard over the rear tire so your cape wouldn't get caught.Good point.

2. The guns are explainable that it's a military purpose vehicle like the Tumbler (though what the hell could it really do?) but they have next to no space for ammo storage. It looks like they'd have at the very most 2 shots possible and that's even stretching it. Rather pointless...I thought the same thing, I guess it's 1 shot action.

I saw on another board theres a rumor it's like an "escape pod" for the Tumbler with the possibility of the Tumbler getting destroyed. That doesn't seem right though, where could it possibly go? Granted, he can go prone in the Tumbler to fire rockets and such, but theres no space underneath to house the rest of it. As well, it would be pointless to have that much armament on an escape pod.That was my theory too since it uses the exact same wheels, and the concept went over well in Batman Returns with the Batmissile. My guess is he's in prone position when the Tumbler gets hit, Bats ablates the rest of the car and the front wheels pivot forward and back behind him. There's not much to store, just the little armor pieces (which could go anywhere really because they're small) and the guns (which is another issue altogether). It's pointless to have a batpod altogether, this is a military application and wouldn't have an escape pod in that use, and the idea of Batman planning to use an escape pod seems kinda lame to me, it's overkill like the Bat Shark Repellent.

I don't want to hate it so early as I have faith in Nolan, but it really seems a little too much like one of those cheesy vehicles with Batman permenently attached that Mattel puts out.Haw! I was thinking the same thing about the permanently-attached Batman figure on the toy. I don't have faith right now, the suit and batpod seem to be going off in a toyetic direction that screams "sellout" whether Nolan is a part of this or forced to do so.

LTBasker
06-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Couple of interesting links:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-batpod18jun18,1,392372.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/004902727.cfm - Beware, the BatPod becomes suddenly sexier in this link. :p

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
LA Times links require registration. :ermm:

You can put a girl on the Batpod, but it's still lame.

The batman figure mockup makes me sad.

LTBasker
06-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Hmm, try going here then:

http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/002292.php

They have a link to the latimes page, hopefully it won't ask for subscription that way. Also that link is worth checking out because they have a video that shows off the scale really well.

Still nothing explaining if it's an escape pod or not though. Geesh. >_<

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I read some rumors on the net about a character in the TDK and it seems this new report confirms it. Highlight to read: There were sightings of a scene being filmed with Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy) where he and Batman have a fight before Bats is gassed and he escapes. I'm pretty excited about this as i think it'll make for some warped visions via Batman and God willing, the Joker.

That being said, I need to stop reading spoilers cos I would've LOVED to been surprised to see this, but odds are, no way it would've been kept quiet. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Hmm, try going here then:

http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/002292.php

They have a link to the latimes page, hopefully it won't ask for subscription that way. Also that link is worth checking out because they have a video that shows off the scale really well.

Still nothing explaining if it's an escape pod or not though. Geesh. >_<
No dice! They have another picture of the "batpod" though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM
For you SDCC attendees.

Batman-on-Film has confirmed that Warner Bros. Pictures will not be presenting The Dark Knight at the San Diego Comic-Con in July. Instead, the studio will be presenting the Batman Begins sequel at Wizard World Chicago, taking place from August 9 - 12

source: SHH!!

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Any word on a teaser trailer?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Any word on a teaser trailer?

Nothing official I can recall, but if you remember the Joker's message after that pic was taken down, it said SEE YOU IN DECEMBER. So, i'm thinking we'll see something then. If memory serves, the teaser for BB was released in the winter as well. Really excited. :thumbsup:

also, a few "reports" have indicated that Anthony Michael Hall is playing Edward Nygma. I don't know if it's a big role, but he was filming scenes with Morgan Freeman at Wayne Enterprises, so this would make sense. Some folks think this is going to be a repeat of Batman Forever, but I don't see that likely. I see Two-Face starting up maybe at the middle of the next film and Bats dealing with Riddler later on?? I highly doubt Nolan and co would do another grouping of Two-Face and Riddler, if this is even true, which nobody really knows at this point.

General_Grievous
06-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Aw, I was hoping for a teaser with "Harry Potter" in a few weeks.

About the Edward Nygma thing, he may never turn into the Riddler and fight Batman in these movies. He may just be thrown in there as sort of a wink to the fans.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 10:01 PM
God almighty, the Rogues Gallery that Batman has, and they have to dredge up the f***ing Riddler again? :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Wizard World??? My guess is that they're doing it there so Nolan doesn't have to travel since they're filming location stuff there right now, but I would think they'd be done with that by then. WW is pretty lame compared to SDCC.

darko666
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
‘Spawn’ Star Takes A Gamble On ‘Dark Knight’ Role

If you’ve got a few extra bucks lying around, you might want to consider sending a nice sympathy bouquet to burly rapper/actor David Banner. And if you’re really swimming in the dough, you should also send a “New Beginnings Hydrangea Plant” to “Spawn” star Michael Jai White. Because only one of the two are hanging out in Gotham City these days.

After last month’s minor media sensation (which you may have read about here), here or perhaps here), MTV News once again has the exclusive on David Banner’s quest to “smack Batman in the face.” Long story short: He didn’t get the part. Over the weekend we visited the Chicago set of “The Dark Knight,” the currently-filming sequel to “Batman Begins”…and what we saw is looking really, really good. Keep checking back for more about that in the weeks to come, but while there we caught up with producers Emma Thomas and Chuck Roven, who confirmed that Banner’s much-heralded audition hadn’t landed him the role.

Instead, the role of “Gamble” has officially gone to Michael Jai White, the muscular martial artist/stuntman/actor best known for roles in such films as “Spawn” and “Exit Wounds.” Thomas and Roven also cleared up fan confusion over who, exactly, the baddie is, explaining that Gamble is one of several mob bosses attempting to take over Gotham’s streets now that Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson in the first ‘Batman’ flick) is out of the picture. As “Dark Knight” opens, Batman and Jim Gordon must decide whether to focus their energy on aspiring thugs like Gamble, or the homicidal Joker (Heath Ledger), a costumed anarchist bank robber.

As best as we can tell (along with sites like this one), Gamble is a brand-new character to the Batman universe, and has never appeared in any DC comic books.

The casting of White seems particularly appropriate, considering that the genre favorite has provided voices for several “Justice League” cartoon shows as both Doomsday and Green Lantern. Unfortunately, the overly-excited David Banner most likely found the casting decision slightly less exciting than some Batman fans - but with two other movies on the horizon, we’re thinking he’ll be just fine.

“The Dark Knight” is currently filming in Chicago under the alias “Rory’s First Kiss.” Featuring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and newcomers Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, the flick will continue filming in the windy city until early November, with additional work to follow in London and Hong Kong. The flick is due in theaters July 18, 2008.

Source: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/07/03/spawn-star-takes-a-gamble-on-dark-knight-role/

General_Grievous
07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
How many characters are they squeezing into this one? Reading over the cast list...Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall, and now Michael Jai White. I'm hoping all these new characters don't subtract Batman or the Joker's screentime.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Poor Michael Jai White, he's not a bad actor but Spawn essentially ruined his career by sucking as bad as it did. I hope this role is more of the mob-chieftain type than black street gangsta general type which is SOOOO played out.

General_Grievous
07-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Poor Michael Jai White, he's not a bad actor but Spawn essentially ruined his career by sucking as bad as it did.

Did he even have a career before then?

Beast
07-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, it's getting sort of rediculous. People complained about the number of 'Villains' in the later Batman films and Spider-Man 3. But we're up to at least 6 possibly confirmed baddies so far, if everything pans out as it's appearing to. Sheesh.

darko666
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
as long as Nolan and crew don't short change The Joker, i'm not to worried about the film. but i do agree, there are to many people being added to the flick. Anthony Michael Hall's character is just a small part in the film, so he's nothing to worry about.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Did he even have a career before then?Yeah, it had been building for about 5 years, nothing big before Spawn but Spawn ensured nothing big after either. :p

Yeah, it's getting sort of rediculous. People complained about the number of 'Villains' in the later Batman films and Spider-Man 3. But we're up to at least 6 possibly confirmed baddies so far, if everything pans out as it's appearing to. Sheesh.Well, "possibly confirmed" is the key, very little is confirmed here. Still, it'd be nice if they didn't make the same mistakes all the other superhero movies do here.

General_Grievous
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah, it's getting sort of rediculous. People complained about the number of 'Villains' in the later Batman films and Spider-Man 3. But we're up to at least 6 possibly confirmed baddies so far, if everything pans out as it's appearing to. Sheesh.

But Batman Begins also had a lot of villains (Joe Chill, Watanabe Ra's Al Ghul, Neeson Ra's Al Ghul, Falcone, Scarecrow, Zsasz, and to a lesser extent, Flass and Earle) and that turned out fine....except for Katie Holmes.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't think the Joker will get short changed. There are lots of actors going on here, but most of them are regular returning characters. Bruce Wayne will be at the mansion, so we'll see Alfred. He is friends with Dawes so we'll meet the new (and hotter) Maggie Gyllenhaal version and she'll team up with Dent. He'll have to show up to work and that means we'll see Morgan Freeman. Oldman will be with Bats and Hall is more than likely a really small part. I think the parts with the gangs will just add more tension along with Heath Ledger. I don't see Nolan short changing the Joker, especially after how SPIDER-MAN 3 turned out. Relax kids, it'll work out. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
But Batman Begins also had a lot of villains (Joe Chill, Watanabe Ra's Al Ghul, Neeson Ra's Al Ghul, Falcone, Scarecrow, Zsasz, and to a lesser extent, Flass and Earle) and that turned out fine....except for Katie Holmes.Yeah, the real villain as far as Katie Holmes is concerned is talent, apparently. Luckily, she never had to worry about crossing paths with that villain. ;)

Tycho
07-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Katie Holmes was cute in Batman Begins! :love:

figrin bran
07-10-2007, 02:44 AM

Come on, Kristin Kreuk has it over on Katie in both beauty and talent. :D

Tycho
07-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Come on, Kristin Kreuk has it over on Katie in both beauty and talent. :D

You are so right! :love::love::love:

Qui-Long Gone
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM

If by cute you mean horrible....:love:

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 08:28 PM

If by cute you mean horrible....:love:Well Tycho, he's got ya there. :p

I don't get this, so what if she's moderately attractive? Pretty girls are ridiculously common in Hollywood these days, that doesn't make someone remotely talented enough to play the part.

Tycho
07-12-2007, 04:13 AM
And sometimes the girl is not really that pretty, but she really makes you believe she can play the part.

For example, Paris Hilton is really believeable as a stupid idiot :D

figrin bran
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
grabbing at straws aren't we? :p

Katie didn't do that either

LTBasker
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
As overrated as I find Katie Holmes, she's tolerable in Begins. I think mostly because I was expecting her to be more damsel in distress than anything else, but her role was kept serious. The scene I was worried about the most was when she got hit with the hallucinigen, I was completely expecting her to be screaming and yelling through the entire Batmobile chase. Fortunately, they didn't have do that and so I was just happy there was very little focus on her during the segment.

This issue is boring me though. :p

I was watching it a bit ago and realized something, if they keep a realistic timeline setting for the sequels (not jumping ahead lots of years), they may never use Batgirl. Assuming the child in Gordon's home when he's taking out the trash is Barbara, the kid looks to be around 1, maybe 2.

darko666
07-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Batgirl and Robin are non-existent in Nolans Batman world. at least, thats waht i remember reading somewhere. it would be interesting to see if the movie starts around the time the first one ends, since they mention The Joker.

General_Grievous
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Batgirl does exist in Nolan's Batman world, kind of. Jim Gordon's daughter Barbara is seen (or heard?) as a baby in Batman Begins.

The Katie Holmes issue is boring me too, but I just want to say one thing. If Chris Nolan ever decided to pull a Lucas and digitally replace Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal in a future Batman Begins DVD, I wouldn't hold any objection.

El Chuxter
07-13-2007, 01:52 AM
If the franchise goes to four or five films, I wouldn't mind seeing Robin given a proper film treatment. With Two-Face as the baddie, of course.

RooJay
07-13-2007, 02:38 AM
I forget, was the baby referred to as Barbara? That would be rather unfortunate as Barbara has long been in comics the adopted daughter of James Gordon, and was actually his niece by birth. Jim Gordon took her in and raised her as his own after the death of his brother and sister-in-law, eventually adopting her officially. I had assumed the baby in the film (as in the Batman: Year One comic the film was largely based on) was actually Gordon's natural born son, James Jr. who now lives with Gordon's ex-wife (also named Barbara) in Chicago, and who is also quite a bit younger than Batgirl/Barbara. It has also been hinted that Barbara might in fact secretly be his biological daughter anyway, however - seems he may have had an affair with his brother's wife!

General_Grievous
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I forget, was the baby referred to as Barbara? That would be rather unfortunate as Barbara has long been in comics the adopted daughter of James Gordon, and was actually his niece by birth. Jim Gordon took her in and raised her as his own after the death of his brother and sister-in-law, eventually adopting her officially. I had assumed the baby in the film (as in the Batman: Year One comic the film was largely based on) was actually Gordon's natural born son, James Jr. who now lives with Gordon's ex-wife (also named Barbara) in Chicago, and who is also quite a bit younger than Batgirl/Barbara. It has also been hinted that Barbara might in fact secretly be his biological daughter anyway, however - seems he may have had an affair with his brother's wife!

I never knew that. I always assumed that Barbara was Jim Gordon's only (biological) child.

LTBasker
07-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Completely forgot about the niece thing, my main Batman influence is B:TAS so I always revert to thinking Barb is his daughter. Was looking on wiki and found this:

In Batman Begins, a child is seen briefly at Detective James Gordon's apartment. Through the window, the detective's pregnant wife was nursing their two-year old daughter. According to Dennis O'Neil's novelization, the infant was a young Barbara Gordon. The detective's wife's was also name Barbara, whom the child was named after, and is played by Ilyssa Fradin. Her maiden name was Kean. However, this contradicts Batman: Year One continuity (on which much of Batman Begins was based, in that Batgirl is James Gordon's niece, and the child seen in Gordon's apartment is his infant son, James Jr.

Anybody have the novelization?

2-1B
07-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Who still has a 2 year old nursing ?

If the franchise goes to four or five films, I wouldn't mind seeing Robin given a proper film treatment. With Two-Face as the baddie, of course.

Already did that, it's called Batman Forever and they released it in 1994.

General_Grievous
07-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Finally!

Dark Knight Teaser Debuts in Two Weeks!

Source: Superhero Hype!
July 13, 2007

There have been rumors circulating around the normal internet circles that Warner Bros. won't have anything related to the Batman sequel The Dark Knight (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15813) ready to go for the San Diego Comic-Con.

Well, guess what? That isn't so.

Superhero Hype! has just received confirmation from one of our most reliable sources that Warner Bros. plans on debuting a teaser in front of some screenings of 20th Century Fox's The Simpsons Movie on July 27, which just so happens to be the same day as the Warner Bros. panel at Comic-Con in San Diego. Don't be too surprised if they decide to spring an unannounced premiere of the teaser for The Dark Knight sometime during that 10:30 AM panel. Stay tuned to Superhero Hype! to find out more about this teaser, and remember where you heard it first!

Of course very little will be shown, but still, it's something.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Awesome! This is pretty early too, isn't it? If i remember correctly, the teaser for BB was in November while the movie came out the following June.

Still, i'm UBER UBER excited about this and hoping for a good clean shot of the Joker! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
07-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Awesome! This is pretty early too, isn't it? If i remember correctly, the teaser for BB was in November while the movie came out the following June.

I'm guessing this will mirror the Spider-Man 3 and Transformers trailers.

Teaser a year before the movie comes out, theatrical trailer in November, final trailer in the spring, assuming there are three trailers.

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Why would it be a tragic change to make Babs his biological daughter?

And, Cae, Batman Forever wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it was far from greawas not a proper Two-Face and Robin. Robin was too street-punkish (at least to have the acrobat origin), and Two-Face was an idiot. Sad, really, since both were played by actors who could've done better with better material.

Rocketboy
07-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Robin was too street-punkish (at least to have the acrobat origin), and Two-Face was an idiot. Sad, really, since both were played by actors who could've done better with better material.Two-Face was done like a Joker rehash and Robin was 30.

2-1B
07-14-2007, 01:48 PM
At least by having Robin be 30, it cut down on the NAMBLA effect of the Adam West version.

Chux, I was just teasin you bout Bats 4ever. lol I do like the movie though, it's fun. I don't like the 2nd Shumacher Bats film, though. :dead:

JediTricks
07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I forget, was the baby referred to as Barbara? That would be rather unfortunate as Barbara has long been in comics the adopted daughter of James Gordon, and was actually his niece by birth. Jim Gordon took her in and raised her as his own after the death of his brother and sister-in-law, eventually adopting her officially. I had assumed the baby in the film (as in the Batman: Year One comic the film was largely based on) was actually Gordon's natural born son, James Jr. who now lives with Gordon's ex-wife (also named Barbara) in Chicago, and who is also quite a bit younger than Batgirl/Barbara. It has also been hinted that Barbara might in fact secretly be his biological daughter anyway, however - seems he may have had an affair with his brother's wife!Dude, I was just about to mention that "Year One" thing with Gordon's son, nicely done! They didn't mention it was Babs, they didn't even mention if it was a boy or a girl from what I remember.

As overrated as I find Katie Holmes, she's tolerable in Begins. I think mostly because I was expecting her to be more damsel in distress than anything else, but her role was kept serious. The scene I was worried about the most was when she got hit with the hallucinigen, I was completely expecting her to be screaming and yelling through the entire Batmobile chase. Fortunately, they didn't have do that and so I was just happy there was very little focus on her during the segment.I didn't find her tolerable, I found her too child-like and her acting range very thin, it detracted from the movie a lot. Granted, she wasn't screaming like an idiot the entire time, but is it really that hard to not do something that's not in the script anyway? ;)

Was looking on wiki and found this:

Anybody have the novelization?Good old wikicrappia. And that's why I hate novelizations, some other guy who may not understand the inner workings of the material makes up stuff that doesn't fit.

Who still has a 2 year old nursing ?It's not actually THAT uncommon, strangely. In some countries it's not even strange.

Why would it be a tragic change to make Babs his biological daughter?Just another dumbing down of the Batverse, that'd be why to me.

And, Cae, Batman Forever wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it was far from greawas not a proper Two-Face and Robin. Robin was too street-punkish (at least to have the acrobat origin), and Two-Face was an idiot. Sad, really, since both were played by actors who could've done better with better material.I thought Batman Forever was pretty awful, not Batman & Robin awful but fairly bad. And Val Kilmer admitted he brought a bad performance because he was annoyed that WB promised him Tim Burton and reneged. Rocketboy's points are solid as well. I didn't like Batman Returns though either.

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Good old wikicrappia. And that's why I hate novelizations, some other guy who may not understand the inner workings of the material makes up stuff that doesn't fit.

"Some other guy who may not understand the inner workings of the material"?!? :eek:

I take it you're not familiar with Denny "I was in charge of all things Batman at DC Comics for about 30 years, starting in the 70s" O'Neill? Trust me, the only person who's ever lived who may have a better handle on the character would be Bob Kane himself.

LTBasker
07-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I didn't find her tolerable, I found her too child-like and her acting range very thin, it detracted from the movie a lot. Granted, she wasn't screaming like an idiot the entire time, but is it really that hard to not do something that's not in the script anyway? ;)

I didn't know it wasn't in the script at the time, I thought it would be like any other movie where they take the opportunity to have the girl screaming uncontrollably. Basically, I was expecting her to be ten times worse - especially since I was disappointed at her inclusion in the first place. So, I find her tolerable in the sense she's a bad actress but I can still sit through her scenes without feeling as though I need to shut off the movie.

Good old wikicrappia. And that's why I hate novelizations, some other guy who may not understand the inner workings of the material makes up stuff that doesn't fit.

Whoa boy, down. :p

It's not actually THAT uncommon, strangely. In some countries it's not even strange.

The term "nurturing" is kinda loose in this case, I played the scene in slow-mo and she's simply in front of the child spoon-feeding him/her. Also, you can't tell if it's a male or female, it's too far away and only the hair seems to suggest it might be male. But it's not much to go on.

Just another dumbing down of the Batverse, that'd be why to me.

Even if they were inspired by Batman: The Animated Series? Not saying they are, it's just a possibility if it is indeed Barbara the kid is supposed to represent.

RooJay
07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
"Some other guy who may not understand the inner workings of the material"?!? :eek:

I take it you're not familiar with Denny "I was in charge of all things Batman at DC Comics for about 30 years, starting in the 70s" O'Neill? Trust me, the only person who's ever lived who may have a better handle on the character would be Bob Kane himself.

Surely you meant Bill Finger just then; everyone knows he was the real genius behind the Bat. Bob Kane merely had the money to hire the lawyer to get the credit. Poor Bill...

RooJay
07-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Why would it be a tragic change to make Babs his biological daughter?

Would it be? Didn't seem like anyone was saying that to me. Matter fo fact, when the character was first introduced (in the Adam West, Burt Ward television show) she was Gordon's biological daughter, a concept which was initially carried over to her comics introduction; so it wouldn't even be that far of a stretch. It's just that, knowing that Year One was the primary basis for Batman Begins (particularly for the Gordon stuff) and from what I could tell from the scene as it appeared on screen, it just seems like Barbara 'Batgirl' Gordon has yet to make an appearance in this version of the Batman universe.

El Chuxter
07-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Touche on the Bill Finger issue. I'm not sure why he slipped my mind. And I'm normally so good about remembering the comic creators who got screwed over by the industry (or their partners, in this case). :(

I must've misread something somewhere about the "tragic," because for some reason I thought someone had stated that.

JediTricks
07-15-2007, 11:55 PM

I take it you're not familiar with Denny "I was in charge of all things Batman at DC Comics for about 30 years, starting in the 70s" O'Neill? Trust me, the only person who's ever lived who may have a better handle on the character would be Bob Kane himself.Well, it's still why I hate novelizations in general. :p I did some research, turns out O'Neill went with what was in the script, they had the kid named Barbara at one point. Hopefully they cut that part realizing it was a mistake.

BTW, the book's not got the greatest rating on Amazon right now, 3.5/5.

I didn't know it wasn't in the script at the time, I thought it would be like any other movie where they take the opportunity to have the girl screaming uncontrollably. Basically, I was expecting her to be ten times worse - especially since I was disappointed at her inclusion in the first place. So, I find her tolerable in the sense she's a bad actress but I can still sit through her scenes without feeling as though I need to shut off the movie.Wow, that is generous! "She's ok because she wasn't as bad as I feared she'd be". :p

Even if they were inspired by Batman: The Animated Series? Not saying they are, it's just a possibility if it is indeed Barbara the kid is supposed to represent.I don't hold the BAU to be sacrosanct, so yes. Honestly, the BAU was meant to be a cartoon, a well-done one but produced first at kids.

Would it be? Didn't seem like anyone was saying that to me. Matter fo fact, when the character was first introduced (in the Adam West, Burt Ward television show) she was Gordon's biological daughter, a concept which was initially carried over to her comics introduction; so it wouldn't even be that far of a stretch. It's just that, knowing that Year One was the primary basis for Batman Begins (particularly for the Gordon stuff) and from what I could tell from the scene as it appeared on screen, it just seems like Barbara 'Batgirl' Gordon has yet to make an appearance in this version of the Batman universe.Keep in mind, it'd mean Batgirl isn't Batgirl until Batman is nearing 50 years old.

Tycho
07-16-2007, 01:56 AM
San Diego's baseball team has a batboy!

darko666
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Source:Super Hero Hype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6021)

The Tumbler and Joker videos (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=F83DDCC8F382BB7FC5D8D6744B81CF5C ?contentId=3789512&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

also, there is talk of a TDK teaser in front of The Simpsons movie.

JediTricks
07-18-2007, 03:34 AM
"Slaughter is the best medicine" Hell yeah! And there's friggin' crash pads in that truck too so I'm guessing action scene with someone jumping from the Batmobile to the truck.

Skateboarding joker thug?

The Joker makeup guy in the next shot reminds me a lot of Beetlejuice.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Source:Super Hero Hype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6021)

The Tumbler and Joker videos (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=F83DDCC8F382BB7FC5D8D6744B81CF5C ?contentId=3789512&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

also, there is talk of a TDK teaser in front of The Simpsons movie.

"Slaughter is the best medicine" Hell yeah! And there's friggin' crash pads in that truck too so I'm guessing action scene with someone jumping from the Batmobile to the truck.

Skatboarding joker thug?

Is the teaser in front of EVERY print now??? I thought I read that only certain random prints got the trailer.

And I think that was actually Ledger skateboarding and relaxing before shooting. If memory serves, he's a pretty good skateboarder and id' be interested to see if they bring that into the flick itself.

LTBasker
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't think it was just Ledger relaxing since a camera truck was following him around.

Completely agree there. Makes sense too, Beetlejuice must've been alive at some point of his existence. :D

JediTricks
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
First off, Basker posted what I was gonna say, they were following the skateboarder with a camera dolly truck. Also, I don't think that's supposed to be the Joker as the guy wasn't as tall (the guy in the confirmed Joker look was tall, and Ledger is 6'1") and was wearing different clothes and hair.

BTW, have we confirmed that's Heath Ledger in the footage and not a stunt double?

LTBasker
07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Comparing the two videos, it looks like the same person as they're wearing the same clothes and if there were multiple people dressed as the Joker on set you'd think it would be mentioned.

In the video where the guy is talking to the three other people he looks pretty tall but the interesting thing is that only his face is Jokerized. The rest of his skin is normal as you can see his neck/chest and forearms.

Really nothing conclusive to determine if it's Ledger or a double, at the very least though we get to see the creepiness of the Joker make-up. The only thing I see that makes me think it's Ledger himself is his jawline, but that's nothing to really go on.