PDA

View Full Version : Tmnt

DarthQuack
07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/teenagemutantninjaturtles/tmnt_large.html

I think this looks pretty sick. Any thoughts?

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 05:52 PM
The aesthetic is weird, like a whole new cartoony look crossed with the suits of the movies. That bit with Mikey falling in the trash gave me a bad feeling, and the whole thing felt like a direct-to-video outing that they're bumping up to theatrical. I hope it works better than I am suspecting.

JetsAndHeels
07-21-2006, 08:09 PM
I thought this was going to be live action.
Oh man, I hope this ends up being decent.

Qui-Long Gone
07-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I never thought the TMNT were interesting live-action....put I loved their other media....especially that arcade game...

kool-aid killer
07-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I liked the teaser trailer, though im curious about what the storyline will be like. Im assuming it will involve them rescuing April O'Neil and battling the Shredder though. My younger brother thought it was awesome.

darthvyn
07-23-2006, 03:41 PM
i'm diggin' it... i thought the gag at the end with mike was spot-on, with the rest of them taking themselves so seriously it was a good ending. i mean, c'mon - the original comic was a parody of all comics of that era - everything was either a teenager, a mutant, or a ninja. it has to be tounge-in-cheek...

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Okay, guys, I was at that panel at Comic-Con. (Right now, I feel like I was the only person here who went.) There's no need to be hating. This movie is in good hands. The director actually bought a copy of TMNT #1, first printing, way back in 1985. No one did that except for true fans. I'll wager even those of us who were old enough to have been able to do that didn't hear about the Turtles for a few more years.

Munroe seems to know what made the Turtles great in all their incarnations (except the 90s live-action show), and hold a special fondness for the darkness and humor of the early Mirage days. If not, he fooled about 500-1000 people, all of whom were in awe of what we saw and heard. And we got to see a little more than just the trailer, and it is a gorgeously animated movie.

If this isn't the second best movie next year after that glorious film with Venom (and some other web-spinning guy, too), or maybe third after that and Pirates 3: Chow Yun Fat Kicks The Monkey's Butt, I will eat my hat. I swear it to you.

Phantom-like Menace
07-24-2006, 04:28 AM
I'm liking what I've seen, and El Chuxter's endorsement has been taken to heart as well. I'm very much waiting for March.

JediTricks
07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
If this isn't the second best movie next year after that glorious film with Venom (and some other web-spinning guy, too), or maybe third after that and Pirates 3: Chow Yun Fat Kicks The Monkey's Butt, I will eat my hat. I swear it to you.That's a bold promise, this movie is still under the Warner Bros studio name, and Kevin Munroe has exactly NO previous experience to his credits, so he has no power to keep meddling hands out; and the 2 main producers, 1 has never produced a film and the other produced only 2 previous movies: the live-action TMNT 2 (Secret of the Ooze) and TMNT 3 (Turtles Back in Time). Plus, the whole thing looks like a video game cut scene, not surprising since the director and a lot of others involved have only video game credits under their belts. I hope it works, I really do, but I will remain skeptical until the last frame of the movie passes my eyes. :p

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
TMNT 3 (Turtles Back in Time)

HA!! I have caught the mighty JediTricks in an error! There is no "Back" in the subtitle of TMNT 3.

I expect a Bad Song Lyric of Shame immediately, Mr Tricks.

JediTricks
07-24-2006, 02:56 PM
HA! on you, there's no subtitle at all to the movie, it's just called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000696I1/qid=1153774449/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-5669171-8758361?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=dvd&v=glance&n=130 and as the movie poster shows, the term "Back in Time" does appear as a tagline: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108308/posters

Rocketboy
07-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Turtles in Time was actually Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV for the Super NES (and an arcade game before that).

n00bs.

Banthaholic
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
This looks interesting. Was a fan of the cartoon as a kid, as I also enjoyed the firts movie but seemed to go downhill from there.

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
The arcade version of the game had no "IV" in the title.

Rocketboy
07-25-2006, 09:31 PM
The arcade version of the game had no "IV" in the title.Yep, it was the original arcade sequel to TMNT.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Bad news, guys.

Mako, pioneering Asian-American actor, dies (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060725/ap_en_mo/obit_mako;_ylt=ApVozCz6ncnrBkyQXXv2KUwwFxkF;_ylu=X 3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--)

:cry:

Why is this bad news posted here? Because on Thursday, Munroe revealed that he was providing the voice for Splinter. The "work-in-progress" footage he showed featured a narrative intro by Mako (as Splinter), and was quite cool. I'm not sure if all the voice work has been done, or if he'll be recast, or maybe there'll be a Plan 9/Transformers: The Movie mid-film substitution.

RIP Mako.

Rocketboy
12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Found a bunch of hi-res images (http://www.kino-govno.com/images.php?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles&img=1) from the movie.
(the cook in the resturaunt is voiced by Kevin Smith)

General_Grievous
12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Who are voicing the turtles? And Shredder? And April? Will Casey Jones be in it?

Rocketboy
12-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Chris "Johnny Storm" Evans is Casey Jones and Sarah Michelle Gellar is April.
Patrick Stewart and Ziyi Zhang also provide some voices.
Not sure about the Turtles though, but I don't think it's anyone famous.
IMDB (http://imdb.com/title/tt0453556/) doesn't list the turtle voices either.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
This shot has Casey and April:
http://www.kino-govno.com/images.php?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles&img=5

There's another shot of Casey out there that's got it's hocky mask on, but I can't find it. I think the humans look really bad in this, like "Jimmy Neutron" bad. As for the trailer animation and the look of the Turtle art, it's not my style but ok, though I continue to get a feeling like it's all for cut-scenes from a video game rather than a theatrical film.

General_Grievous
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I think the humans look really bad in this, like "Jimmy Neutron" bad.

Couldn't agree more on that point.

DarkArtist
01-03-2007, 02:18 PM
spotted some of the figures of these today at Walmart.

El Chuxter
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Critics seem to hate it.

Oddly, almost all the critics who give negative reviews seem to still be under the misimpression that the Turtles were created for toddlers, and that (despite a loyal following over a decade ago, all of whom would at least be older teens now) there are currently no fans over the age of five.

And they berate the violence of it, saying it's too much for kids, and that's bad because they think the movie exists solely to re-invigorate a ten year old franchise and sell toys. (I guess they've not looked at the Saturday morning lineup in the past four or five years.)

Well, ****ng duh. You read the original? It's "**** you, Turtles!" "**** you, Shredder!" "**** me, Turtles!" "Oh yeah? I just cut your ****ing head off. How you like them apples, *****?"

The few who realize this is an actual comic, and with more older fans than newer, seem to "get" it.

Personally, I probably won't get to the theater for several days, but, since I haven't seen 300 yet, this is higher on my list and the other comic movie out there right now will likely end up waiting for DVD.

I'm a little saddened by the news that a scene showed at Comic-Con, of the kids beating up Mikey, has been trimmed substantially, and the final shot of a kid coming back to kick him in the groin was cut entirely. :(

JetsAndHeels
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I went and saw it this afternoon and I loved it. The fight scenes were good, the plot was good, the animation was superb. The only complaint I have is I did not like Splinter's voice. Everything else was great. I can't wait to see it again next week.

JediTricks
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
CNN's reviewer liked it for the most part: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/23/review.turtles/index.html

kool-aid killer
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
I liked the movie, i thought it was good and i hope to see it again at the theater. I thought it was a little fast paced, but its all good. I definitely thought it was better than any of the other three Turtles movies. I give it an "Oh Yeah!"

2-1B
03-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey Chux, it's good to see they at least had enough work from Mako to secure his inclusion in the film. :(

Not sure about the Turtles though, but I don't think it's anyone famous.

Bah, you don't consider Mitchell Whitfield (Donatello) from My Cousin Vinny to be famous? :confused:

Phantom-like Menace
03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I went to see it today expecting the worst and was wholely surprised by how good it was.

The CGI bugged me even more than I thought it would; visually it looked like Bug's Life was in a crazy-*** war with Antz. However I generally hate the whole CGI bandwagon that Hollywood is driving down my throat anyway, so I'm a little biased. At two times during one of the scenes, the CGI ended up looking like claymation to the point that it kind of took me out of the movie.

Storywise, I was happy enough. The Foot came off better than they have in times past, but if you're not familiar with the all the incarnations of Turtles media, you're really left wondering what Karai is all about. For a movie about a Central American warlord from 3000 years ago making himself immortal, the story didn't seem too crazy oddly enough.

The humor wasn't too bad, aside from Michelangelo's extended burp, quite a few of the gags got at least a chuckle from me, but two times in that film I was dying for Ghostbusters references. Michelangelo works kids parties in a turtle costume, and all I could think of was Ray and Winston going to kids parties as the Ghostbusters in the (dismal) second movie. Also, at the end, the building opening a vortex was tailor made for references to Dana's apartment building. Oh, Splinter never mentions "making a funny," so we're good to go on that point.

Good movie, though. Since the last three movies I've seen in theaters have been V for Vendetta, 300, and TMNT, I've had a pretty good run on movies. Of course, the next four movies I'm going to see are Spider-Man 3, Pirates of the Caribbean III, Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Transformers. I know at least Transformers is going to ruin that run. Spider-Man 3 has a great deal to live up to. Pirates of the Caribbean III, I figure will be at least as good as the second one, and that's really all I expect. I'm hoping the Fantastic Four movie will surprise me as much as TMNT. The trailer just looks awesome, but the Fantasticar has me a little scared.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Saw it again tonight...loved it even more and caught a few things I missed on my first showing.

Can't wait for the dvd where we will hopefully get some good bonus footage and commentary.

General_Grievous
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Finally saw it tonight. It was way better than I thought it'd be. My only complaint was the lack of Shredder, but it was hinted that he'd possibly be back for the sequel. I've heard a lot of negative backlash about Splinter's voice. It sounded fine to me. The only reason people didn't like it I guess was because it didn't sound like the stereotypical old Japanese man voice. It didn't bother me, but I guess it doesn't matter since they're going to have to recast Splinter's voice for the sequel. My only complaint with Splinter was that he looked more like a fox than a rat. As for the turtles themselves, I was impressed with how the characters were handled. I loved their introductions. The only thing that I was sad about was that my favorite Turtle (Donatello) had the least amount of screentime. It was for the most part a Leo-Raph story. But overall, it was a good movie.

JetsAndHeels
04-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I didn't like Mako (the actor who did Splinter's voice) at first, but after my 2nd viewing I got used to it. I think everyone that did the voices did a superb job.

Glad you liked the movie GG.

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Dude, Splinter sounds like an old Japanese man because he is an old Japanese man! (Er, rat-human mutant, whatever.)

Awesome movie. I came out of the theater acting all ninja and beat up a gang of hoodlums while playing "I Hate Myself for Loving You" on guitar because the movie rocked that much.

The animation was, with only a few minor exceptions, flawless. Especially the fight in the rain between Leonardo and, uh, "Nightwatcher" (;)). I haven't seen Shrek 3 or Ratatouille yet, obviously, as they don't hit for another couple of months, but if TMNT doesn't get a nomination for Best Animated Picture on the strength of that fight, there is no taste among the Academy.

I'd read the story was weak, even nonexistent. I didn't see that at all. The story was stronger than most of the old comic issues. It was fun--violence, humor, a little bit of a theme about brotherhood--but didn't try to be more than that. Batman, Superman, even Spider-Man, those guys may be iconic enough to do "deep" movies with. TMNT, well, they're cool, but they started as a parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil work, and turned into a kids' cartoon. You can do a good movie, but comparing them with Superman Returns or Batman Begins isn't a fair comparison, as they're totally different animals. (Literally.)

But the twist with Winters not being a villain at all was unexpected, and unexpected is almost always good in a fun action movie.

Nice to see the Foot act like ninjas for a change. I re-watched the first movie (and half of the second) after seeing this, and it was annoying to see clean-cut white boy punks putting on black suits and suddenly getting borderline racist accents ("We hahve ah messahge to deriver, Miss O'Neirr") while getting their butts kicked right and left. No, this Foot was a decided threat.

And Karai. Wow. She officially knocked Jessica Rabbit off the #1 position of the "Hottest Animated Babes Ever" list. (And April knocked her out of #2. Tough day for Jessica.) I don't care if Ziyi Zhang continues to pretend she's Japanese; she is freaking awesome no matter what Asian nationality she acts like.

Casey was perfect. Especially in black. I'm a Casey Jones fan, anyway, but to see him get an updated costume that was still faithful to the original was nice. I wish Playmates had done this costume, or at least given him a black mask. I'd buy yet another Casey figure if that were the case.

April as something other than a reporter (she changed jobs so much in the original comic, I don't think she ever had the same job two issues in a row) was a nice change. And definitely as something other than a damsel in distress. Nice to see that Munroe decided to give the girl some serious ninja training after getting back from feudal Japan in her most embarassing caper ever.

Speaking of which: loved the Easter eggs on the "trophy wall." I caught the TGRI canister and a suit of samurai armor from the third flick. Nice eye for detail.

The only two complaints (if you can call them that) both have to do with Splinter. First, if this is a continuation of the live action TMNT, why was his right ear intact? Did it finally grow back over the years?

And why, if they made it a point to work in "I love being a turtle," could they not find room for "I made another funny"? It would've worked especially well with this Splinter, who is a mystical master of ninjutsu, but whose #1 concern is whether so-and-so dumped whatshisface on a soap opera.

Overall, excellent movie. Well worth watching. This lived up to the hype and then some.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I am glad you enjoyed the movie, Chux. Reading your review and your thoughts about Karai, one thing did come to mind about the movie I wasn't too sure about.

In the scene where the turtles, April, Splinter, and Casey are out in front of Winters Tower fighting all the foot ninja....if you noticed it you saw April handle Karai pretty easily in their fight. I didn't like that really (and this is a very small concern) because Karai has been a trained ninja from birth..while April has not.. How could someone like April easily deal with Karai?

Like I said that isn't a big concern, but still it made me think because in all reality if those two were paired up against each other Karai would win hands down.

El Chuxter
04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
In the scene where the turtles, April, Splinter, and Casey are out in front of Winters Tower fighting all the foot ninja....if you noticed it you saw April handle Karai pretty easily in their fight. I didn't like that really (and this is a very small concern) because Karai has been a trained ninja from birth..while April has not.. How could someone like April easily deal with Karai?

How could Casey hit a big ninja master SOB like Tatsu and totally defeat him? I figured it was likely that she had not encountered April before, and was expecting (based on earlier intelligence) that she would just start screaming and running around in circles. And she was very briefly taken off guard.

Her adopted father had this little problem with underestimating his foes and ending up knocking himself into garbage trucks, if you'll think back. ;)

Phantom-like Menace
04-03-2007, 10:50 PM

Because April is one of the good guys!;) Actually, I agree with you.

Good movie though. I have a friend who refuses to see it and I don't know why. I remember when he went into my room one time, and among all of my collectibles, pointed out that I had all four of the eighties-style Playmates Turtles, and I've told him the movie was good, but he just refuses.

General_Grievous
04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Ah, the '80s Playmates Turtles. I had a few of those. My favorite was the pizza throwing one, but I can't remember which turtle had that action feature. Was it Mikey? Oddly enough, one of my first memories is playing the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game. I was terrible at it since I was only about three, but I could have listened to that theme song all day.

JimJamBonds
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Is Rob Van Winkle in this version?

JetsAndHeels
04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
No JimJam, this movie is good. :)

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Remember the "White White Baby" skit on In Living Color years ago?

"What's your real name?
Robert Van Winkle.
Why'd you change it, Ice?
'Cause nothing rhymes with Winkle."

JimJamBonds
04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
No JimJam, this movie is good. :)

No RVW no Jim Jam in the theater. I guess its VH1 for me. :p

figrin bran
04-07-2007, 01:26 AM
i saw it tonight and enjoyed it a lot!

i haven't bought any of the movie figures yet but will definitely be getting some tomorrow.

JetsAndHeels
04-07-2007, 11:35 AM
FB, glad you liked the movie.

See the TMNT figures thread for my recommendations.

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Any word yet on the DVD? I figured summer, but can't find jacksquat.

General_Grievous
04-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I'd say June or July, considering how fast DVDs are released these days.

JetsAndHeels
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd say June or July, considering how fast DVDs are released these days.

Early to mid-July is the word from WB/Imagi.

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2007, 10:58 AM
The dvd will be released on August 7th. Here (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7381) is a link to cover art for the standard, hd-dvd and blue ray versions. Also season 5 of the original cartoon series on dvd is slated for the same date.

Cowabunga dudes!!

kool-aid killer
05-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Cool. I'll be buying the DVD, i just hope there isnt any deluxe edition anywhere down the road. I hate when they do that.

General_Grievous
05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Even though I liked the movie (especially the Leo vs. Raph fight), I can't see myself buying this.

El Chuxter
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I hate retailer exclusives.

Does anyone know what the bonus disc from Target will include?

Is there a site that compares all these frigging exclusives on new DVD releases? It's a bit of a chore to check the ads every Sunday morning and weigh price vs distance vs freebies.

Beast
08-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I hate retailer exclusives.

Does anyone know what the bonus disc from Target will include?

Is there a site that compares all these frigging exclusives on new DVD releases? It's a bit of a chore to check the ads every Sunday morning and weigh price vs distance vs freebies.
Sadly I haven't heard what's on the bonus disc either.

Since the price is crazy, in my honest opinion. But if it's like Hot Fuzz's bonus disc....

I'll see if I can find anything out and post it here.

JetsAndHeels
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Circuit City is offering a free figure with the purchase of the dvd. Not sure what figure you get, but the price for the basic dvd is $16.99.

Wal-Mart will have a dvd/pc game set for $20.

Target is offering a 2-disc set that has bonus features on it (not sure what they are).

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I sorta figured actual info on the Target disc would be unobtainable, since that seems to be the rule on retailer exclusives. (Hell, you can't pre-order anything anymore, since you don't know until two days before the release who's having exclusives at all.) I guess I'll get up early and drive there and see if it's worthwhile.

Beast
08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I figured out what's on the Target 2nd Disc.
Since the 2-Disc appears to be the same as the R2 2-Discer.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793061

R1 Details:

Warner Home Video has sent over artwork for TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) which features among many others, the voices of Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Chris Evans. The film will be available to own from the 7th August, and should retail at around $28.98. The disc will include both anamorphic widescreen, and full screen presentations - along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include an audio commentary by Writer/Director Kevin Munroe, an alternate opening (Splinter Tells the Back Story), an alternate ending with Casey and April, a deleted scene (Mikey Sneaking Food to Splinter), Side-by-Side Comparison of Storyboards and CGI Action, interviews with voice talent Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Laurence Fishburne and Filmmakers, and more. HD-DVD/DVD combo and Blu-ray releases will also be available for around $39.99 and $34.99 respectively.

R2 2-Disc Extras:

Foldout Poster Sleeve
Commentary by Writer/Director Kevin Munroe
Alternate Opening to the Movie - Splinter tells the back story
Alternate Ending to the Movie - greyscale April and Casey
Mikey's Birthday Party - full sequence
Raphael's Rough House Fight Test - early grayscale 3D rendering test
Monsters Come Alive - storyboard sequence with live CGI comparison
Donny's Digital Data Files - technical test on Turtles
Rooftop Workout - from storyboard into greyscale action
Still Wanna Fight - The Casey and April Moment fully rendered
Unaired Scene - Splinter Gets Cake
WonderCon Internet Trailer
Voice Talent First Look

Hopefully all of the extras have been placed on the second disc in the 2-Disc set. That way the movie it's self isn't double-sided. The R1 1-Discer has WS on one side and FS on the other. As short as the movie is, without the extras taking up room, it should be easy to put both versions on the same side. :p

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Beast. That looks like it'll be worth $6.

2-1B
04-19-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm watching this movie for the first time on HBO...it's pretty cool actually ! :)