PDA

View Full Version : You're all done here

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Man, I have to fire a long time employee today.

I realize this is a pointless thread, but Im so worked up about it I cant sit still.

Reefer Shark
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
That's the worst feeling ever. I even get bummed when I have to have a "talk" with an employee..

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you today.

Jargo
07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
"So, where else did you apply to before this job? coz if any of them liked you you better give em a call........enjoy your day. Oh and there's a box in the janitors room so you can clear your desk. Buhbye now."

Slicker
07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
"So, where else did you apply to before this job? coz if any of them liked you you better give em a call........enjoy your day. Oh and there's a box in the janitors room so you can clear your desk. Buhbye now."This from the man with no job...:p

Jargo
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Well there's no point fannying around with all the ego stroking. if someone is fired they're fired. best to get it over and done with fast. Especially if it is a final no going back situation.

I've been 'let go' and told that I'm 'surplus to requirement' many times though slick. I like to know where i stand not be patronised and toldhow valuable I've been to the team and what an asset to the company I've been. that's like the worst thing you can say to someone when you're then turning round and saying leave. so valuable they gotta let you go. yeah right. :p

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, he just didnt show up today.......so Im not exactly sure whats going on. Oh well:pleased: , although I may be in for a surprise tomorrow:upset:

Kidhuman
07-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I enjoy firing people. I have always liked it, because I dont look at it from the point of me firing them, they did it to themselves 99% of the time.

On the othjer hand, if it is a cutback and salary dump, then its another thing because they didnt deserve it, but if they show up late everyday, dont do their duties, then so be it, have a nice day

JetsAndHeels
07-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I enjoy firing people. I have always liked it, because I dont look at it from the point of me firing them, they did it to themselves 99% of the time.

On the othjer hand, if it is a cutback and salary dump, then its another thing because they didnt deserve it, but if they show up late everyday, dont do their duties, then so be it, have a nice day

Uhhh, ok there Donald Trump. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Just start off the conversation by saying, "hey . . . do you remember when you used to work here?" That always gets their attention.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-21-2006, 09:56 PM
quick firing story: when i was a shift manager at a Hollywood Video in the outskirts of columbus, in the kinad psuedo ghetto, i had to fire an employee. Basically, his crazy a-- g/f would come in and talk to him all day, we knew he was stealing and lastly, he called off sick one day and then came into rent movies. My lead manager left, telling me to fire him. The guy was kinda intimidating and had i gotten a gun pulled on me, i wouldn't have been surprised. So, i'm working and the other manager on duty, Mark was there too and he awnted to watch me fire this guy. We wait and wait, and the guy is about 40 minutes late for his shift. Mark decides to get us dinner and says if he gets there before he gets back, to stall. So, out mark goes, speeding off in his car to Wendy's.......just as the employee, i'll say "Jim" shows up. "Jim" is about to clock in and i had a few customers, so i'm like, "hold up a sec man, we gotta talk" completely stalling and waiting for Mark to return. Mark does come back, speeding through the aprking lot and donig a 360 into a parking spot. He bolts back into the building, almost dropping our food and saying in between deep breaths, "alright, i'm back!" I then proceeded to tell "Jim" why he was being fired and he kinda came at me, but i stood there, arms crossed and said, "You REALLY don't wanna do that, son." I LOVE tossing out the "son" comment. I'm only "24" so if you can do that to a guy in his teens or older, it's a blasty blast. He gets angry, takes off his work shirt and throws it on the ground and storms off. The shirt was then used to block out the sun as it was coming in through our huge a-- side window.

But yeah, firing = fun. :thumbsup:

bobafrett
07-21-2006, 10:23 PM
I once had a job as an assistant manager at a Citgo gas "shack". One of my duties was to come in and run a shift check on employees. One night at around 1 in the morning, I came in to the store and found the employee asleep. I stood there for 5 minutes, I could have helped myself to anything in the store. After waking this old lady up, I had to write her up and was supposed to fire her on the spot. She began to cry, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

jjreason
07-21-2006, 11:21 PM
The only firing I've been a part of was acting as an employee rep. I was an "advocate" for the girl, someone who was supposed to sit there with her an "witness" the firing, to make sure she was treated fairly, that emotions didn't run high, etc. Long story short, I was really worried about it too - but it was a bit of a letdown. He fired, she cried a little.... and that was it. No threats, no swearing, no shouting. I was relieved, but maybe a little disappointed. :D

2-1B
07-22-2006, 01:21 AM
COMPLETELY agree with KH, it's one thing if there are economic cutbacks and some well intentioned folks get canned - that sucks.

But if it's just some POS who can't hold a job, well I wouldn't feel bad for them. I probably wouldn't look forward to firing them though since I would be thinking the person is going to go psycho and get violent but really, how hard is it to NOT get fired from a job ? ? ? If it's a matter of someone routinely not showing up on time and being generally lazy yet still expecting a job - I can't even fathom the mindset of such a person.

And believe me, I've worked with people like that in the past and they didn't last long...but I always wanted to ask them, "WTF?"

Darth Jax
07-22-2006, 06:46 AM
you are the weakest link - buhbye

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-22-2006, 07:00 AM
you are the weakest link - buhbye

I secretly considered that one.