PDA

View Full Version : "Psych" on USA Network

JEDIpartner
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
It's a little bit Moonlighting and a little bit Veronica Mars. It's also gotten some of the highest ratings for a cable network original series in the 2006-2007 season!

The show seriously cracks me up!

Psych Review: Is it Worth Your Precious Viewing Time?

Four Stars (out of Five)

This dramedy centers around the character of Shawn Spencer, who has the ability to see a situation for more than it's worth. When he is accused of committing a crime he helped the police solve, he convinces the police he's psychic. With the help of his best friend, Shawn is hired to help the police force solve crimes. How long can this charade go on? Maybe Shawn can foresee the answer to that question.

Is it worth your precious viewing time?
If you're looking for more comedy than drama, then Psych is worth your attention. I found the show to be a bit campy and over-the-top at times, but as crime-dramedies go, Psych is one of a kind. With several laugh out loud moments, serious scenes were severely lacking. All in all, I enjoyed the hour and will definitely tune in next week to see how far Shawn can go before he gets caught.

Cast
James Roday as Shawn Spencer
Dule Hill as Gus
Corbin Bernsen as Henry Spencer

When is it on?
Fridays at 10pm EST on USA Network.

SOURCE (http://tvdramas.about.com/od/psych/fr/psychreview.htm)

JediTricks
07-21-2006, 08:04 PM
It's cute, but I'd say it's nothing like either series you cited. I also don't see what the ratings are about, the concept is fun but the delivery is so far very USA network, which is to say, watered down.

JEDIpartner
07-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Really? Quite a few people I've spoken with find it to be a lot like those two shows. It's got the smart-***** sarcasm of VM and reluctant partner-in-crime of Moonlighting. It's got the detective aspect of it but also goes beyond just that. *shrug*

As far as the ratings? It's summer fare. Have you seen what crap is being shown on the summer schedule?? LOL

JediTricks
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't see it, VM isn't just cheap witicisms, there's more behind them, Psych is nothing but. The Moonlighting partnership thing, that was as much about romantic subtext as it was about solving crimes, here it's just that they don't have enough money and the friend is reluctant to go in on such a scam, but he is easily manipulated by this friend. I think comparing Psych to Veronica Mars and Moonlighting is doing a disservice to potential viewers of Psych because they're going to expect something they absolutely won't be getting.

JEDIpartner
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey, in this day and age, you're lucky to be getting something even HALF that good. ;)

Seriously, though... it's juvenile but funny as all hell. Let's put it this way: Loads of people who have watched it have referenced those shows. The people who have watched it also like the Joss Whedon shows, Roseanne, The Gilmore Girls, and a lot of other "culty" faves.

JediTricks
07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Doesn't it ever bother you when someone says "this movie is the 'Star Wars' of this generation!" and then of course it's NOT (I'm looking at you, Titan A.E.!!!)? Unless the comparisons are fairly apt, I don't think they do justice to the shows. Psych (which I can't type without the "o" at the end apparently) is its own USA Network thing, if the only way people are going to see it is from that kind of recommendation, they won't stick with it anyway.

Psych is "light", "funny", and "cute", in much the same way that Monk is, but with a new, different twist on the detective concept (one that could be better-mined me thinks).

JEDIpartner
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Sure... But I never said it WAS Moonlighting or Veronica Mars... I stated it had little elements of each show in. That's like saying anybody is the new Madonna/Elvis/Beatles!!

JEDIpartner
07-30-2006, 08:21 AM
So... how about that Moonlighting-esque ending on "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Piece"? Everyone was chasing the Maid of Honour through the hotel and she ended up tripping on a sleeping attendant's foot, which sent her sailing into the air and landing A'ss (as in "donkey") over applecart on the other side of a table? :thumbsup:

Well... it was very Moonlighting... ;)

:D

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Moonlighting was hardly the first show to do schtick. :p

I wasn't going to post in this thread again until a third party had something to say about the series... oh well. :D

JEDIpartner
07-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Well... then there was this week's very David Addison-esque banter with the client-- oooooh!!! And the seance!! :D

JEDIpartner
08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Season finale next week!! Man... so disappointing!!!

JediTricks
01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Last night's ep was one of the best ever! The "El Pollo Loco guy" references were funny as hell too since that's who the star of the soap is in real life.

JEDIpartner
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
It really was a good episode. I like that they've allowed Jules and Lassiter to have a bit of time away from Shawn and Gus. That's made this season a particular joy to watch.

I've been enjoying season one on DVD quite a bit. Due to the writers strike, I'm getting to watch a lot of stuff on DVD!! LOL

JediTricks
02-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Lassie & Jules do need to have a life outside of our heroes.

Last night's ep was good if a little light on where it took us. Plenty of funny. But I did want more personal stuff about Lassiter since they started to take us down that path.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree. It was a little too light on that end. It DID, however, give us a little more about Shawn's dad, which was nice. At least you found out that he wasn't always just about his job. I also enjoyed the episode with the senior community and how Shawn and Gus prepped the scenario as the three of them walked into the lobby.

RE: the telenovela episode. I was on the floor when they used the Spanish language version of the theme. I also liked the Christmas episode theme with the jingle bells and the digital snow. LOL

JediTricks
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
The spanish version of the theme was too funny, great touch. Apparently, the regular theme is performed by the creator of the series, which is kinda cool, but I don't think he sang the spanish one.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
How many new episodes have there been lately? I wasn't paying attention when this and Monk returned. I did catch the replay of the last Monk on Saturday.

JediTricks
02-06-2008, 01:25 AM
3 or 4, I think.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I think this week will be episode 2.4

JEDIpartner
01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
LOL!!!!! In this week's episode, Shawn and Gus were told to fill out form "IG-88" to get the information they required and the line "Ive got a bad feeling about this..." was uttered before they went into a burning building. :lol:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
How many new episodes have there been this year? I didn't realize it had started up again, and kept forgetting to check. Is Monk back as well?

JEDIpartner
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
So far there have been 12 episodes this series. I think they showed 3 since it has come back in 2009. It will run through the end of February, I believe.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I also noticed that IG-88 line and squealed! Awesome little fanboy nod.

There have been 2 new episodes of each this year, plus each series also had a Christmas special late last year.

Ando
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
LOL!!!!! In this week's episode, Shawn and Gus were told to fill out form "IG-88" to get the information they required and the line "Ive got a bad feeling about this..." was uttered before they went into a burning building. :lol:

I caught the IG88 reference as well and had to pause it to explain it to the wife. Psych and Chuck always have the best 80's/Star Wars/Pop Culture references.

We started watching this back in 2007 when USA ran a marathon of the 1st half of season 1's episodes right before they ran part 2. Such a great show. Perfect for a Friday night in.

JEDIpartner
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
It's so goofy and funny that it's hard to NOT want to watch it. It's fluff... but GOOD fluff! Chuck does also deliver on the references. Despite the fact that I'm gay, even I thought it was hot seeing Sarah in the Slave Leia costume! LOL

Mad Slanted Powers
01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I caught the IG88 reference as well and had to pause it to explain it to the wife. Psych and Chuck always have the best 80's/Star Wars/Pop Culture references.

We started watching this back in 2007 when USA ran a marathon of the 1st half of season 1's episodes right before they ran part 2. Such a great show. Perfect for a Friday night in.

One show that was full of references to Star Wars and other such things was The Middleman. One episode had Ghostbusters references, another Escape From New York.

JEDIpartner
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
It's completely geektastic. :)

JEDIpartner
02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
"Why don't you go live on Hoth, you freak!!" - Shawn to the kid wearing a winter coat at summer camp. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
02-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I forgot about it and Monk again this week. I'm pretty sure it will be rerun again today or tomorrow so I'll have to check. Too much stuff I watch on Friday.

8pm - Ghost Whisperer and Terminator
9pm - Dollhouse and Clone Wars
10pm - Numb3rs

So, I didn't have room to watch or record them on Friday.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
"Why don't you go live on Hoth, you freak!!" - Shawn to the kid wearing a winter coat at summer camp. :D
Yeah, that was a good line, very natural. :D There was another SW ref later in the ep, but I cannot remember what it was.