PDA

View Full Version : Yarna? Somone who was at the Q&A please answer this question!

Droid
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, rebelscum showed a picture from the Q&A that read "We're listening". It showed pictures of Willrow with number 53 next to him, Yarna with a 54, a Jawa 2-pack with a 56, Owen and Beru "extra crispy" (didn't someone on this site originate that phrase?) with a 55 and Funeral Pyre Qui-Gone with a 57.

DID HASBRO ANNOUNCE THEY WOULD BE MAKING THE FIGURES OR DID THEY JUST SAY, "WE'RE LISTENING, WE KNOW YOU WANT THEM, AND HOPE SOMEDAY TO TELL YOU!"

AND DID THEY SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE TONNIKAS AND THE CURVED BAR PIECE?

Will Kitik be repained green in the Walmart release?

EDIT: I just looked closer on the picture and it says coming 4/1/2007. I started to get excited. Then I realized it was April Fool's Day, 2007. So tell me someone who was there, does Hasbro think this is funny? It is a joke to them that they might give us figures we want?
Is it a joke to tell us they listen to what we say? Someone please straighten me out on what happened at the Q&A before I rant.

So can we assume that for them Yarna and the others listed will never be made?

Jargo
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
It's likely a geek joke. charred skeletons, dead jawas, wilrow Hood? Unless they decide to do a complete off the wall wave or exclusives with those I can't see it happening. so the april fools thing seems most likely. kinda sick if it is a joke.

jjreason
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
And sad. I'd buy all of those figures. :cry:

Devo
07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Yep I'm not amused. I question why they would think thats funny. This is serious for us - well as serious as toy collecting gets at any rate - and they take the p*ss like that.

pegger
07-21-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/indexp4.html

Not only do they think it was funny - they make fun of people that thought they COULD have been real....

Not a good sign for anyone that wanted those figs. I think hasbro has basically said "these are NEVER gonna happen..."

Droid
07-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd like to know what the reaction in the room was, because I would think that the room would have exploded in HAPPINESS and applause.

Then they took the wind out of everyone's sails. I hope the crowd booed them. To me it is like starting a presentation by calling everyone an idiot, insulting their mother, and then trying to hold them.

Nice that they think their customers are idiots for voting two of those figures into the Top 25 most desired by the FANS.

To someone who was there:

What was the room reaction to the "joke"?

What was asked and answered in the Q&A?

Devo
07-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Not a good sign for anyone that wanted those figs. I think hasbro has basically said "these are NEVER gonna happen..."

Thats what I was thinking. And I find their lack of tact on this matter disturbing. I mean that in the true spirit of the Star Wars scene I am paraphrasing.

Kidhuman
07-21-2006, 06:50 PM
What bastages. They know these figs are sought after and they refuse to make em.

Devo
07-21-2006, 06:59 PM
poor ol' Zidane, not how it should have been...:Ponder: :sad: .........

General_Grievous
07-21-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd rather have charred Owen and Beru than f**king Darth Revan. :mad: Some joke.

figrin bran
07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
awww GG, how about if i grind down some charcoal, get someone to make a beru and owen cardback, seal it up and voila! you've got MOC charred owen and beru! :thumbsup: :p :D

dindae
07-21-2006, 10:16 PM
So did any questions not relating to the slideshow get answered? We had tons of wait until Comic Con questions did we get any answers? No that I need to hear about something new since the list of things I'm buying this year has grown exponentially.

jjreason
07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Excellent question, Dindae. I haven't seen ANYTHING about the Q&A, though I'm sure Tycho is typing like a mofo right now trying to get it all posted. That session was what he was most excited about.

General_Grievous
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
awww GG, how about if i grind down some charcoal, get someone to make a beru and owen cardback, seal it up and voila! you've got MOC charred owen and beru! :thumbsup: :p :D
LOL :D And I'd STILL buy those over Darth Rerun....

evenflow
07-22-2006, 09:13 AM
It was a very cruel and tasteless joke. It just shows Hasbro may be listening to us, but they could not care less about what we want.

Luuuuuuke
07-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I just looked up what all the Yarna fuss. I thought it must have been some really cruel tasteless thing they did..... But it was just a lame joke. If you think about it, getting furious about that is exhibit A into why Star Wars fans are so easily lampooned.

(Though let me emphasize, it was kind of "lame" as far as April Fool's jokes go. A charred Owen and Beru is good prank bait because seriously, no one should think that's real. But Yarna is totally conceivable--as long as they don't make her topless. Egh! ).

Qui-Long Gone
07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I just looked up what all the Yarna fuss. I thought it must have been some really cruel tasteless thing they did..... But it was just a lame joke. If you think about it, getting furious about that is exhibit A into why Star Wars fans are so easily lampooned.

(Though let me emphasize, it was kind of "lame" as far as April Fool's jokes go. A charred Owen and Beru is good prank bait because seriously, no one should think that's real. But Yarna is totally conceivable--as long as they don't make her topless. Egh! ).

Good points....but the lame ***** award goes to Hasbro for pulling an April Fool's joke in July. That's like trick or treating in mid-February during President's Day....

Guess I'll have to wait on my Tatooine diarama now...I was really banking on charred O/B....

JON9000
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
If you want a charred Owen and Beru, just get a couple of Amanamans and use the skeletons that come with him. Not highly poseable, but what can you do?

Slicker
07-22-2006, 02:04 PM
It was a very cruel and tasteless joke. It just shows Hasbro may be listening to us, but they could not care less about what we want.Precisely!!!

To me that joke made it seem like Hasbro was turning there backs on OT collectors by basically making fun of the figures we want yet they'll make a million PU figures and every color of clone.

Truly a slap in the face.

Jargo
07-22-2006, 04:37 PM
:Ogre: oooh you go girrrrrrrrrl!

bigbarada
07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't see how Yarna is such a stupid idea that Hasbro has, in essence, stated that she will never be made.

Obviously the Kenner designers from the ROTJ days thought she was a good enough idea for a figure that they got all the way to the prototype stage, before Lucasfilm pulled the plug on her.

If it's still because of the "moral decency" issue, then Lucas Licensing needs to be a little more consistent. We can obviously have a Slave Leia statue who is showing butt-crack for days; but no six-breasted fat lady? :stupid:

Oh yeah, I forgot my obligatory :love: when mentioning the GG Slave Leia statue.:love:

:D

Devo
07-22-2006, 06:07 PM
They should break their usual Battle-pack rule of rehashes/retools only and put Yarna in one since it seems they aren't comfortable single carding her. It'd sell and with her sole exception Hasbro could go rehash happy for the other figures. We wouldn't care in this case, not if it was the only way Hasbro would be willing to make her.......or should I not speak for everyone?

Oh and the Leia statue :thumbsup: I must echo your sentiments.

jedi master sal
07-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Lately I've been pretty happy with Hasbro's choices, but this senseless, tasteless, unprofessional joke was indeed a HUGE slap in the face to all collectors of SW. Personally if I'd have been there I would have gotten excited then when the next slide came up saying it was a joke, I know for a fact I would have yelled out A**HOLES. I might have indeed got thrown out, but it SO would have been worth it.

I would love to personally Beowtch slap the person/people who came up with that idea.

If they were not, are not and never will make those two figures, then just flat out say it and be done with it forever. Don't crack a joke at the expense of those consumers who feed your kids. It's insulting and shows just how much Hasbro really cares about us. Insist how they might that this is a kids line, the very fact that they have a fans choice poll that they very well know will be voted on by an overwhelming majority of collectors, says they know this is a collector driven line.

**ckheads all of them.

If I've overstep my bounds with the language in this post then feel free to edit it, but I stand by my comments.

A very low blow this was. Perhaps I should take my on average $5-6K a year that I spend on their stuff elsewhere's... I'd like to see kids spend that much on SW. I'm certain my spending accounts for at least a good 10 kids worth of spending in a given year.

Alright, tirade over.

BlueSnags
07-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Okay guys,

I was actually at the Hasbro presentation at the con. This is how it went down:

They announced a "Fan's Choice" special wave and people seemed to be excited. First, they showed the Bespin Ice Cream guy on the screen and the room exploded - everyone popped bigtime. Next, Yarna appeared on the screen - more big cheers and clapping. Then, the Beru/Owen thing and people were still going crazy. Then they showed the Jawas and people started catching on that this was just a bunch of B.S. Then "Funeral Pyre" Qui-Gon and Vader were shown, and people were just kind of sitting there. Then they announced that they'd be on sale 4/1 and people just groaned. It pretty much went over like a fart in church.

The thing that really ****ed me off about the whole thing was how they tried to explain the 7" Unleashed. They explained that "The 7" line really wasn't profitable, although it was popular with collectors. Plus, they take up too much shelf space. We need to make some of our money back on this line, so we're releasing some old sculpts to recoup our costs. Now, this is an experiment - if these don't sell well, then we won't continue the line."

Okay, so then they show the four "new" figures in EVEN BIGGER "Tinkertoy" PACKAGING:

1st Edition Vader- WM Exclusive
Jedi Luke - WM Exclusive
Boba Fett - Target Exclusive
Grievous - Target Exclusive
Best Buy Vader, this time a KB Exclusive

Now, these figures have absolutely no buzz, and why should they? Grievous was just available LAST YEAR. The 1st Vader sold well 3+ years ago. but they've released 3 additional Vaders since then (counting Best Buy). The Jedi Luke warmed the pegs the first TWO TIMES it was released.

Someone asked about releasing UNMASKED VADER instead, and they go, "Yes, we're aware of the demand for this figure, and you may see it down the line if these figures do well." BS. They know NO ONE is gonna buy these rehashes. Sure, the Fett will probably sell, but that's it. The feeling in the room was that they pretty much tanked the line on purpose.

To say Hasbro has its head up its own *** is an understatement.

timmae
07-22-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/indexp4.html

Not only do they think it was funny - they make fun of people that thought they COULD have been real....

thanks for the link...i see the humor in it all. we have enough, but still want/need more.

figrin bran
07-22-2006, 11:10 PM
have we all forgotten the "tasteless, senseless" joke hasbro pulled last year when they wrote on their site "they're called ACTION figures"?

snags, talk about a token gesture on hasbro's part with the 7" unleashed. i already have all of those, the fett included and so i'm not buying any of them. and not too many people will either and then hasbro is going to say "well, look we tried bringing it back and it just didn't work out and so we're looking to go in another direction".

Phantom-like Menace
07-22-2006, 11:42 PM
To me that joke made it seem like Hasbro was turning there backs on OT collectors by basically making fun of the figures we want yet they'll make a million PU figures and every color of clone.

With funeral pyre Qui-Gon on the list, it wouldn't be specifically aimed at OT collectors.

dindae
07-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Well for all of you ranting at the Yarna joke. Rebelscum posted this on their site.

"Okay, now we love a good joke every now and then, but Willrow Hood and Yarna d'al Gargan are characters that a LOT of fans (including me) really DO want to be made. And if this is a big joke, does this mean that our dreams are for nothing??

We went straight to Hasbro with this complaint and were told that Hasbro really IS listening. They know that fans do want these particular characters made, and they would certainly consider them if they can find a way to fit them in.

So while there are NO plans currently for either character, at least they have not ruled them out completely. "

I can't blame Hasbro for playing a prank. If I had to listen to the constant whining and complain about every little detail I would probably love to do the same thing.

As for tanking the 7" unleashed line it doesn't nee to be brought back. Every single figure that was mass release has warmed the pegs in my area. A few figures might have gotten up to "easy to find" but only back in the Toys R Us only days could any of the figures be considered rare. If Hasbro wanted to keep this as an exclusive line only or go through online/comic shop method online like DC Direct they could probably keep the line going for a ling time but there isn't enough demand for major retail to move these.

TheDarthVader
07-23-2006, 12:25 AM
I agree that this "joke" was crappy. It was a big slap in the face to me because I really wanted a Yarna figure. Hell guys, we will probably never see her or hood or any of those on that list. :( And the sad thing is...it would not surprise me.

pegger
07-23-2006, 06:48 AM
I read that too Dindae - smacks of huge backpeddling to me....

Luuuuuuke
07-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Think about how many times Hasbro is called every name in the book over even the smallest "flaws" in a figure, then thing about all the teeny tiny little things that send Star Wars collectors flinging their arms in the air and acting like they just got kicked in the nuts.

Can you blame a toy company for trying to pull the wool over collectors(even if it turns out to be lame)? You could say, "But we're the customers, we're the ones who pay our money, etc.. " Sure, but we're also a captive audience, and Hasbro knows that. They know they can poke fun at us and we'll and whine and cry bloody murder and STILL buy their product. It's just the way it is.

There's plenty of things toy companies do that annoy me, but all this talk about Hasbro turning it's back on collectors is overwrought. More than a year after ROTS they're still putting out a ton of product--and not just prequel stuff, but OTC--the action figures are getting better and better, they're putting out a lot of stuff we want. I don't see them turning their backs on anyone. I see them putting out a ton of great stuff, and making a lame joke that most people would have shrugged off with the barest of annoyance--EXCEPT for Star Wars collectors, the ultimate high maintenance "What have you done for me lately" toy collecting crowd.

DarkArtist
07-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I feel for you who wanted the Yarna and ICMG wave... the dead jawas and crispy beru and qwen would have rocked..... It's cruel of Hasbro to play such a nasty joke on you.
I myslef would pass on the Yarna and ICMG personally but I still think it's wrong to tease the fans who really want these figures. My advice is to search ebay, fans are always selling custom Yarna's perhaps that might be the only way she will get made...by the very talented fans who truely capture the characters they love.

2-1B
07-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, they didn't show 'Boo McCallum on that slideshow so my dream is still alive for that figure. :)

The thing about Beru & Owen and Qui-Gon is kind of funny because they're not likely to ever make THAT...but the Yarna thing is not cool because that's a legitimate character from Jabba's Palace. As for Ice Cream Maker Dude, I couldn't care either way, I'm pretty tired of the fan desire for that figure. It's run its course. Yarna doesn't deserve to be grouped in with this crowd.

If I've overstep my bounds with the language in this post then feel free to edit it, but I stand by my comments.

Ummmm, are you f***ing kidding me? :rolleyes: Aren't you a "Senator"? :confused:

You're supposed to be one of the people watching out for stuff and editing if needed, not typing around the autocensor (TWICE) in your own posts. :rolleyes:

jedi master sal
07-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, they didn't show 'Boo McCallum on that slideshow so my dream is still alive for that figure. :)

The thing about Beru & Owen and Qui-Gon is kind of funny because they're not likely to ever make THAT...but the Yarna thing is not cool because that's a legitimate character from Jabba's Palace. As for Ice Cream Maker Dude, I couldn't care either way, I'm pretty tired of the fan desire for that figure. It's run its course. Yarna doesn't deserve to be grouped in with this crowd.

Ummmm, are you f***ing kidding me? :rolleyes: Aren't you a "Senator"? :confused:

You're supposed to be one of the people watching out for stuff and editing if needed, not typing around the autocensor (TWICE) in your own posts. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, but sometimes you just have to let it fly. Before yesterday I never really did that here and am very mindful of that on other sites I go to as well. With the exception of JT's site for that month or so (and even then I didn't really go overboard), I've never lashed out like that. I just needed to vent once. I'm over it. But I'd still like to B-slap the person responsible for that joke.

Droid
07-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Gosh, it must really be hard for people to work at Hasbro, having jobs we would kill for. It must be really difficult to hide in an office all year and read what fans think online and then a couple times a year actually face those fans in events that are for some reason given all of the secrecy of a Presidential visit to Iraq. It must be just awful to hear fans requesting a figure for 11 years when they would rather make the same figures they have already been making for 11 years. I would want to get all those customers who keep my family eating and that make sure I have enough money to buy the toys for my kids that are designed for them, and them alone. It must be annoying that those fans won't stop buying what is only meant for children. I would want to make fun of those fans, tease those fans, and mock those fans at a gathering of those fans.

It surprising to me that they don't want to make a figure of a supposedly six-breasted dance given all the boobs who work at Hasbro.

Blue2th
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
You know it was right after that meeting (which I missed) I was standing in the Hasbro booth that I noticed someone had bumped the Titanium case and knocked over everything in it. Those things are heavy. I mentioned it to the Rep there, and he said thanks. Never gave it a second thought till I read this thread. Hmmm.

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 07:32 AM
They said ten figures from the list would be made. I think at least two of them are on this list. They're not that stupid.

What I want to know: who's been demanding a dead Jawa 2-pack? Is that a rebelscum.com thing?

JEDIpartner
07-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I'd rather have charred Owen and Beru than f**king Darth Revan. :mad: Some joke.

I'm with you on that!! I'd rather have Yarna over any of the EU characters they are making. Yeesh!!!! :upset:

jross2276
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
OK....I m ****ed..... Maybe this joke is the straw that broke the camels back! If hasbro thinks these figures would be tasteless..... why did they make a burned up anikin... missing an arm and his legs..... And what is the removable limb count at for their action figures? Is all this decency talk because Hasbro still insists that children buy more of their toys than collectors?I think its Hasbro's attitude towards collectors that **** us off. How can you compare children, who have to throw a temper tantrum in the middle of the store to get their parents to shell out the cash for what they want...... and adult collectors who spends a good portion of their disposable income with Hasbro. Most collectors have been very loyal to Hasbro. I myself have been buying their product since the early 80s. Kids today have extremely short attention spans.... and will move on to the next fad. If collectors want a neon pink Vader vs. a Telitubby two pack... than that's what we should get! Hasbro has made billions off us. and perhaps if they had a better line of figures to introduce at the show we wouldn't take their comments os seriously.... but I constantly get the feeling they try to get away with as much as they can with us!

Banthaholic
07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
It was a lowsy gag on Hasbor's part. Funny that they won't give us a figure they know a percentage wants but they have no problem saying demand mandated neon-colored comic figures. It'll be interesting to see if they sell, because I can see Hasbro saying that EU doesn't sell, but when EU people want figues they're talking about NJO, KOTOR, Zahn, etc not these.

Rogue II
07-24-2006, 01:25 PM

No, she doesn't.

They said ten figures from the list would be made. I think at least two of them are on this list. They're not that stupid.

What I want to know: who's been demanding a dead Jawa 2-pack? Is that a rebelscum.com thing?

The dead Jawas and Owen & Beru's corpses have to be a spin off of the ICMG joke. Not really all that funny anymore and can't be good for the hobby (both image wise and toy wise).

If someone seriously wants Owen & Beru's charred bodies, they could just custom some using the bones that came with Amanaman.

Tycho
07-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Excellent question, Dindae. I haven't seen ANYTHING about the Q&A, though I'm sure Tycho is typing like a mofo right now trying to get it all posted. That session was what he was most excited about.

This is the one article that I haven't had time to write. My notes from the event are right in front of me. I'm going to try and type it up tonight. I'm not sure if Steve will post it though - it's so "after the fact" and every other site has their articles about it posted and pretty well covered.

Anyway, I was there sitting with MrMforce and El Chuxter. Steve was in the opposite front row.

Hasbro did not leave a lot of time for Q&A.

I got mad at them privately over the Zizzle Pirate Ship (my newest pet peeve).

But I was at first elated by the "final wave" reveal and thoroughly amazed that they'd even consider "Dead Owen and Dead Beru action figures." I mean, what a novelty! Then I was loudly groaning inwardly as I realized it was a joke by the April 1st release date.

Someone did ask if that means their answer to Yarna and Wilrow was "Never." They DID answer that. Derryl said "not at this time, not for next year, but we'll probably get to some of these." (I imagine he was referring to Yarna and Wilrow, possibly funeral Darth Vader - but probably not Dead Owen and Dead Beru).

Anyway, I couldn't really gauge the crowd reaction too well myself, as I was sort of up-lifted and then shocked as my wings were clipped. It felt like a big let-down to me and seeing the Marvel Comics figures later only worsened my mood.

Tycho
07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
We can obviously have a Slave Leia statue who is showing butt-crack for days; ....Oh yeah, I forgot my obligatory :love: when mentioning the GG Slave Leia statue.:love:
:D

I wasn't there to witness this, but I heard it from a reliable source: the Slave Leia in question was on a rotating pedastool so you could view it from every angle (you get the picture). Well Carrie Fisher was there at Comic Con signing autographs and she went to Gentle Giant's display and saw that and went ballistic! She made them turn the motor off on the pedastool so it wouldn't rotate and it's claimed that since Leia was pre-order and isn't available at the moment, Carrie is going to try and cancel the product as it is, and eliminate those pre-orders. She doesn't own the rights to Princess Leia but she is a close friend of George's. I don't know how this will play out, but I imagine it must have been funny - though I know I shouldn't laugh if someone else's feelings are hurt. But geeze: Carrie was 23 years old or something (possibly younger) when ROTJ was filmed. She even went to the Academy Awards around the time of ANH in a see-through top, and while I'm not aware if she ever posed for Playboy, she'd have no rights to cancel the magazine or stop secondary market dealers from selling that issue. Those would both be bigger deals than a little butt crack showing on a Gentle Giant statue, but Carrie's in her 50's now and she's a mother. I guess her sensibilities have changed. So she hasn't aged entirely gracefully? Slave Leia is still one of the greatest sex symbols of recent pop culture referenced well beyond Star Wars. Time to just deal with it, Carrie!

LTBasker
07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
You'd think she would be flattered considering how horrible looking she got with her drug problems and yet her hottest moment gets to be immortalized forever in 3D form by very talented sculptors. It's even within context of what she did while in the suit... :p

If she could get so upset over that, I'm guessing she hasn't seen Unleashed Slave Leia.

Droid
07-25-2006, 11:57 AM
This is the one article that I haven't had time to write. My notes from the event are right in front of me. I'm going to try and type it up tonight. I'm not sure if Steve will post it though - it's so "after the fact" and every other site has their articles about it posted and pretty well covered.

I got mad at them privately over the Zizzle Pirate Ship (my newest pet peeve).

Tycho, please do type a review of the Q&A. Everyone keeps talking about the presentation, but not the questions.

I guarantee that the Sail Barge would sell more than the Pirate Ship, but I am not sure if either can make the money necessary to make it feasible.

Tycho
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I had a medical appointment cancelation this afternoon. I may have more time to write in a little bit.

As to Carrie, the Unleashed might've seemed like it was "pole dancing," but I don't think it was as revealing as Gentle Giant's. I'm not really going to get that excited about either though they are hot representations of Leia's femininity. Heck, I'd buy an almost totally nude one :love: Slave Leia is a sex symbol. Carrie just has to learn to cope. *sigh*

As to the SAILBARGE sales, Entertainment Earth is charging $62 for the Black Pearl. POTC obviously doesn't have to pay tribute to George Lucas. Meanwhile, Zizzle's a new company and it doesn't have a loyalist following it can regularly take through the cleaners like Hasbro does. I have long suspected that if Hasbro can't make a 75% profit on something, it becomes "unfeasable." *Another Sigh* We discussed this in another thread. If Hasbro releases a Sailbarge, they can make easy money by re-releasing a lot of their older figures they've already made:

Luke Jedi
Leia Slave
Han Carb
Chewie Chains
Bar-2-D2
C-3PO
Lando Skiff

Jabba Beast Pack w. Salacious Crumb
Bib Fortuna
Boba Fett
Barada
Nikto
Klaatu
Weequay
Gamorrean
Ree-Yees
Tessek
Yak Face
Pote Snitkin
Amanaman
Ephant Mon (EU says he didn't go on the sailbarge)
J'Quille
Tanus Spijek
Ishi Tibb (modified from the Rebel Alliance version)

The list goes on. If the barge was made, even carded collectors might be tempted to buy these re-releases to populate the ship - not to mention re-releasing the Tatooine Skiff vehicle would sell 2 more of those to many a collector.

A lot of sales are made by selling accessories. If you get a discman, you need batteries, right? The list for accessorizing a sailbarge is over $135 in figure sales alone! And Hasbro will have virtually no cost to mold these characters. They don't have to make even a 50% profit on the Sailbarge.
Grrrrrr.

But I know: "Let's repaint the Jedi Starfighter pink and claim it's Shaak-Ti's next." (I need to credit another forumite here for that clever quote actually, but I forgot who it was).

JEDIpartner
07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
"Let's repaint the Jedi Starfighter pink and claim it's Shaak-Ti's next." (I need to credit another forumite here for that clever quote actually, but I forgot who it was).

As I griped about the Darth Vader version. To me, this is no different.

stad
07-27-2006, 06:32 PM
I can't believe how up in arms some people are over a joke. Sure, a lame joke, but still just a joke. I mean, this is a kids toy line, does anyone honestly believe there would ever be crispy Beru/Owen? I do think Yarna should be made, eventually, but she is nowhere near the top of my personal list. However, I have to agree with another poster above, the supposed outcry for ICMG is ridiculous. It wouldn't kill me if he was made, but he's gotta be near the bottom of the list of figures I want to see, if he's even on it at all. I mean, there were lots of people running in the hall on Bespin, he just happened to have something in his hands, so that qualifies as a figure?! I don't think so, and I don't believe that most anyone else (other than a handful of loudmouths) would really think so either.

This is probably one of the few reasonable responses to this that I've read here:

I agree it was a lame joke, not really funny, but give me a break. Some people are just taking this way too seriously.

Slicker
07-27-2006, 06:36 PM
If I may ask stad what figures do you like most? Expanded Universe (EU), Prequel Trilogy (PT) or Original Trilogy (OT)? This may clear something up for me.

plasticfetish
07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm still laughing over the funniest post in this thread...

:Ogre: oooh you go girrrrrrrrrl!
The rest of you have completely flipped over this Q&A thing, and it's getting really f***ing boring reading about how p***ed off you are over being the butt of the whole Yarna joke. Hey, guess what? If you can't get over it, then you obviously deserve to be made fun of... just lighten up, it's only toys.

Look at all of the OT figures that we've gotten recently in an entirely non-OT period following the release of the three prequel movies. Then, tell me that Hasbro doesn't care about how much money you spend on toys.

Hell, you just got a figure of a character (Hem Dazon) that was only on screen from the neck up for a second. Talk about catering to the obscure desires of the adult fan/collector.

If anything, your whining about Yarna (oh, sweet, sweet YARNA! :rolleyes: ) is just going to drive them farther away from the idea.

Tycho
07-27-2006, 09:03 PM
You know, I have to agree with PlasticFetish on that last point. (Warning: here comes one of Tycho's infamous LISTS). I want to list all the figures that we've gotten over the years that are secondary characters or ones never made before (by Kenner) from the Original Trilogy:

Han Stormtrooper
Spirit Ben Kenobi
Figrin 'Dan (Cantina Band Member)
Wedge Antilles
Sandtrooper
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Grand Moff Tarkin
Garindan
Slave Leia
Luke Ceremony
Leia Ewok Princess
Biggs Darklighter
Lak Sivrak
Captain Piett
Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
Ishi Tibb
Mon Mothma
Chewie in Chains
Pote Snitkin
Black Death Star Droid
Admiral Motti
Aunt Beru
Uncle Owen
Tien Numb
Arvel Crynyd
Dr. Evezan
Nebrum Leids
Takeel
Labrina
Muftak
Kabe
B'Omarr Monk
Oola
Geeze I didn't realize how long this list would go on for. Figures I haven't listed include ones as important as Bespin Escape Leia and as marginal as Admiral Ozzel or General Rieeken right down to Bo Shek and Feltipern Trevagg.

The OT has been very well "mined" however, and I can see how Yarna and Ice Cream Maker Guy (Wilrow Hood) are noticably lacking because of how thorough Hasbro has been, putting Hem Dazon out there even - not to mention Dannik Jeriko or Major Derlin.

Because we've been so spoiled, figures like ICMG seem within our reach as diorama builders were all-too-pleased to get Wuher in 1999 to bartend our cantinas and now Kitik Keed Kak is planned for a single-card release.

stad
07-27-2006, 09:31 PM
If I may ask stad what figures do you like most? Expanded Universe (EU), Prequel Trilogy (PT) or Original Trilogy (OT)? This may clear something up for me.

I would have to say far and away my favorite are OT, those are the movies I grew up with, and they're the figures I have to have! After that would probably be PT and then possibly EU, depending on what it was. Don't get me wrong, I do like some EU stuff, but I'm not really too sure on its translation into figures/toys.

That being said, if they made ICMG, I would get one. But it sure doesn't mean I would be looking forward to that figure. He's just a random civilian running thru the Bespin corridors, and I don't see them making the other random civilians. But yes, the sucker in me would be buying it if or when they do make it. I would rather see the funeral pyre figures, and maybe even important EU characters before him, though.

Rogue II
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Knowing that Hasbro reads the fan sites, I think collectors probably deserved to have the joke played on them. When Hasbro was making that joke list, I wonder why they left the Tonnika sisters off.

Sometimes I wonder how Hasbro picks which background characters they make, especially from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina. They made Kitik KeedKak and Djas Puhr, but I don't remember either being on the top of anyone's wish list. Don't get me wrong, they are both interesting characters, but if you look at Tycho's polls, there were other aliens higher on the list.

The sad think is that I don't care if they ever make ICMG, but if they do, I'll end up buying one.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Because there really does seem to be some sort of issue keeping the Tonnikas from being produced. Keep in mind that their response to that question a few weeks ago was basically "No comment."

DarthBrandon
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I would have to say far and away my favorite are OT, those are the movies I grew up with, and they're the figures I have to have! After that would probably be PT and then possibly EU, depending on what it was. Don't get me wrong, I do like some EU stuff, but I'm not really too sure on its translation into figures/toys.

That being said, if they made ICMG, I would get one. But it sure doesn't mean I would be looking forward to that figure. He's just a random civilian running thru the Bespin corridors, and I don't see them making the other random civilians. But yes, the sucker in me would be buying it if or when they do make it. I would rather see the funeral pyre figures, and maybe even important EU characters before him, though.

Same here, except I don't really see a need for Yarna or ICMG, I'd rather have Biggs in his academy outfit or Lando in smugglers gear & possibly Luke & Leia from the medical ship. As far as hardly noticed background characters go, I'm not going to be pushing too hard for them. If Hasbro makes them, then fine I may purchase them (most of the time the sucker factor kicks in), if not give me some new vehicles & I'm stoked. Right now my son & I have way too many figures & not enough NEW vehicles Hasbro;), & we have a lot of rehashed ones.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Because there really does seem to be some sort of issue keeping the Tonnikas from being produced. Keep in mind that their response to that question a few weeks ago was basically "No comment."
I was under the impresssion that Hasbro got one of the Tonnika sister actresses to give them permission to use her likeness at a convention a while back? Or maybe she was just there. Dunno.

Either way, they said that they'd also like to "complete" the cantina scene, so I don't think the Tonnika sisters are completely out of the question.

Same here, except I don't really see a need for Yarna or ICMG, I'd rather have Biggs in his academy outfit or Lando in smugglers gear & possibly Luke & Leia from the medical ship.
Why are there so many people who want Biggs in his deleted scene costume? Especially over figures from the actual movies who look a hell of a lot more interesting? Just wondering.

pbarnard
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Why are there so many people who want Biggs in his deleted scene costume? Especially over figures from the actual movies who look a hell of a lot more interesting? Just wondering.

One customizer's reply...Because it would than be so easy to make a Biggs with no helmet in X-Wing gear. And for those who are really bold, they'd hollow out the head and gave a removable helmet Biggs.

Rogue II
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
One customizer's reply...Because it would than be so easy to make a Biggs with no helmet in X-Wing gear. And for those who are really bold, they'd hollow out the head and gave a removable helmet Biggs.

The way Hasbro likes recycling their molds, I would think the chances of them releasing Biggs in his pilot's gear is greater than a complete new sculpt of his academy gear. They could just reuse Dutch's body and make a new head and repaint the helmet. Exhibit A for this case would be the Imperial Officer set with all of the recycled officer bodies.

DarthBrandon
07-28-2006, 12:44 PM

Same as above, along with the fact that I'd like to have just for the sake of having it. (like Yarna & ICMG):D

Slicker
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Man, that joke was just bull****!! How are they gonna KNOW what we want and just toy with us **** HasBLO and they're stupi...oh, wait. I've already ranted in this thread.

Ignore me.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
My problem since the minute I heard about this is that it's a MEAN joke at collectors' expense, there's no give-and-take about it at all, they simply wanted to dump on the collector base who believe that some of those items have good reasons to be made - Yarna is the main character on-screen in several ROTJ shots, when was the last time you saw a red or blue twilek bimbo that long? Yet Hasbro makes a bunch of those throughout their prequel lines. Those stupid SE dancers, we got a whole friggin' Cinema Scene over that garbage. Joh Yowzah?!? C'mon, how is that ANY better? Nobody balks at a Sy Snootles figure because she's atmosphere, but Yarna's the same thing - but Hasbro treats that opinion like toilet paper.

Same with the funeral pyre Vader & Qui-Gon, they are taking a cheap shot at collectors' expense with those 2 listings, I bet you if a Hasbro exec said "let's do that in a multi-pack" everybody at Hasbro would say it's the best idea since sliced bread.

I can take a joke, I can laugh at some of the silly stuff, but this wasn't silly, it was mean, it was Hasbro saying that they take the dedicated core collector audience not seriously at all, that all of us here are the joke to them - and that's the wrong message to send. Yarna is exactly as ridiculous to them an idea as a burnt Jawa robes 2pack? That's not balanced thinking, I've seen possibly a thousand different folks over the years ask for a Yarna figure and not one person EVER a dead Jawa set - yet this joke sends the message that hundreds of collectors' opinions are worthless empty garbage to them.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
I was wondering myself if the dead Jawa was a rebelscum thing. I've never seen any demand for it here or at galactichunter.

I still think you're all overreacting. Yeah, it's lame, but I think there is some nugget of truth to it. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong if, by the end of 2007, there aren't (at the very least) strong rumors from credible sources of at least two figures on the list. Though personally I think we can all buy pegwarming Yarna and/or Wilrow around next September or October.

Blue2th
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Amen JT. I think Hasrbo has some serious suckin-up to do. Did they explain themselves? Somebody needs to ask them why they pulled that joke In Hasbro Q&A?

plasticfetish
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Somebody needs to ask them why they pulled that joke In Hasbro Q&A?Maybe after being asked a million different times if they're going to make a Yarna figure by the "dedicated core collector audience," and then giving pretty much the same answer every time, they decided that the best way to handle it from now on is with a little humor.

Responce from the crowd: "Rabble, rabble, rabble, rabble!"

Rogue II
07-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Amen JT. I think Hasrbo has some serious suckin-up to do. Did they explain themselves? Somebody needs to ask them why they pulled that joke In Hasbro Q&A?

There was an interview on JediDefender.com (http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1153696374,23057,)
with Hasbro at Comic Con after the Joke.

14. Lastly, many/most/all of the figures still at the top of our figure wishlists from the various films will most likely be getting made sometime in the next few years. It's just a matter of when for Hasbro, and of being patient for collectors. They assured us they're reading through most of the various online collecting forums, and know what we want right down to the very last character in one film frame, so it's a good bet that many of those remaining choices will become plastic soon, including more Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens, first and foremost. They also profusely apologized (especially to Scott) for the cruel prank they played with suggesting ICMG guy (and Yarna) was on the way in that "Dream Wave". Bad Hasbro!!! **slap**

So I guess that's their apology.

Jargo
07-28-2006, 06:56 PM
let's all shout huzzah and ringadingding those bells of joy.

Droid
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe after being asked a million different times if they're going to make a Yarna figure by the "dedicated core collector audience," and then giving pretty much the same answer every time, they decided that the best way to handle it from now on is with a little humor.

Or how about rather than continuing to say, "Ick" or "Nah" they could just say, "We know people want this figure, she is on our list of figures we want to make, and we hope to bring her to the fans in the next few years." They have NEVER made a statement that suggests they intend to bring THIS figure to us and have only made negative statements to the contrary.

Droid
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
From that interview with Hasbro:

1. As we already mentioned, the U-shaped portion of the Cantina bar that's been privately confirmed for a year or two now, is official for next year's 30th Anniversary line. No details on packaging or pack-ins though. Better yet, if all goes as planned, the Distillery portion of the bar will be arriving soon thereafter, in 2008, as Hasbro is just as anxious as the collectors to complete that great Cantina bar setup.

Now that is really fantastic! I never dreamed they'd make the distillery because it is so complex!

5. Though it's not in the works quite yet, Hasbro confirmed that when they get around to making a new General Grievous figure, it will indeed be much taller and more appropriately scaled.

That's good. I'll buy that. It'll have to be a Deluxe I think, which is good because they should make more Deluxe figures.

6. Lucasfilm gave Hasbro the green light on giving all Original Trilogy Imperial troops the same ol' Jango noggin underneath all of their helmets. So I guess this is something that the OT purists are just going to just have to accept and get used to, 'cause it's pretty much going to be considered part of the overall Saga story now, instead of just speculating as to whether they're all Jango clones underneath in the OT. Yep, according to LFL and Hasbro, they indeed are.

So why exactly do none of them have Jango's voice? (I would hate it so much if they redubbed all solider dialogue in that voice!)

14. They also profusely apologized (especially to Scott) for the cruel prank they played with suggesting ICMG guy (and Yarna) was on the way in that "Dream Wave". Bad Hasbro!!! **slap**

Ya, sure, they mock the fans in public and then issue an apology that sounds sarcastic one on fan website. If they want to apologize, let them issue a statement on the Hasbro website with a date upon which Yarna will be made.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 08:14 PM
I still think you're all overreacting. Yeah, it's lame, but I think there is some nugget of truth to it. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong if, by the end of 2007, there aren't (at the very least) strong rumors from credible sources of at least two figures on the list. Though personally I think we can all buy pegwarming Yarna and/or Wilrow around next September or October.I was thinking about this after I made my previous comments, and your above reply actually fits into that a little... you know what else is really mean-spirited about what Hasbro did there? They screwed with collectors' hopes before stomping on them. You right there are suggesting a little hope that Yarna will be a reality within a year and a half, and you don't really care, so for those who DO care at all about it they're having their hopes manipulated for a cheap, insulting gag.

And what is wrong with ICMG being a joke? Fans are clearly enamored with the idea, is it SO crazy that Hasbro do something that the fans actually want, even if it's not the biggest and bestest toy ever? Look at the movie Snakes on a Plane, the studio shot it for PG-13 and were going to change the title to something more mainstream, the fans who had been supporting the project and creating real buzz around it said no, Samuel L. Jackson said no, the studio acquiessed. The fans created buzz about Sam Jackson uttering a famous - albeit a little silly and stereotyped to Sam Jackson - line, the studio went back and reshot some scenes so it would appeal more directly to them, they reshot it for an R-rating and they ensured that famous Sam Jackson line would really breathe life, now this stupid little nothing of a movie is an internet sensation and there's real buzz about a film where there are motherf**king snakes on a motherf**king plane! "Doing what the audience wants, that's insane, why would you do that when you could water down your product so it doesn't appeal to anybody?"

Getting back to ICMG, let's really look at this, a lot of us - myself included - think it's a bit of a silly idea to make an action figure out of Willrow Hood, a background civilian in Cloud City running for escape holding an Ice Cream Maker (the prop department should be ashamed of that one :p), but exactly how is that any WORSE than this guy? http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=17992&cat=4660
Come on, if it weren't for the ridiculous gun and the aurebesh on his helmet, this is a tarmac mechanic from LAX, and it's next to impossible to find him in the film - yet he wasn't on any top 50 requested list I ever saw, but Hasbro has no problem producing a nobody piece of crap like this with universal-jointed shoulders and knees, diagonal-cut elbows, and rotating wrists no less!!! This schmo gets an action figure with double-articulation when he looks like he should be climbing around 727 engines and you can't see him in the movie, but Willrow Hood is somehow less credible as a candidate for being made as an action figure, less deserving even though he at least has fan-backing that this nobody POS doesn't enjoy??? Come on, get serious.

And back to hope, part of the problem with the Hasbro backpeddle is we all secretly suspect the action figure line won't survive until their claims say it'd be possible, one of the reasons the Kenner Yarna figure didn't get produced is because the POTF1 line was folding, they even made a Yarna POTF coin prototype - I bet if Kenner had produced that Yarna figure back in the day, especially if it was hard to get, Hasbro would have made a Yarna D'al Gargan figure already and have even repainted it and put it in a Cinema Scene or something like that, rather than treating it like a joke.

Maybe after being asked a million different times if they're going to make a Yarna figure by the "dedicated core collector audience," and then giving pretty much the same answer every time, they decided that the best way to handle it from now on is with a little humor.The problem I have with that is their answer is always "nope" or "not for the foreseeable future" type of bullcrap, never an explanation as to WHY not, we're mostly adults, we don't deserve to be casually brushed aside like an annoyance, if they feel it's not doable they need to explain that rationalization to us like mature people rather than dismiss our questions and then take cheap shots at us for it.

Droid
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I was thinking about this after I made my previous comments, and your above reply actually fits into that a little... you know what else is really mean-spirited about what Hasbro did there? They screwed with collectors' hopes before stomping on them. You right there are suggesting a little hope that Yarna will be a reality within a year and a half, and you don't really care, so for those who DO care at all about it they're having their hopes manipulated for a cheap, insulting gag.

That's my main problem with it, that they announced they were making the figures (to assure us they were listening no less) and then said, "Ha, you thought you would get something you'd like, but we aren't doing that, why would we? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....!"

Getting back to ICMG, let's really look at this, a lot of us - myself included - think it's a bit of a silly idea to make an action figure out of Willrow Hood, a background civilian in Cloud City running for escape holding an Ice Cream Maker (the prop department should be ashamed of that one :p), but exactly how is that any WORSE than this guy? This schmo gets an action figure with double-articulation when he looks like he should be climbing around 727 engines and you can't see him in the movie, but Willrow Hood is somehow less credible as a candidate for being made as an action figure, less deserving even though he at least has fan-backing that this nobody POS doesn't enjoy??? Come on, get serious.

That has always been my argument for every time Hasbro pulls this, "Why make that character? He's so obscure business." I have had to doublecheck the movies several times when they announced a figure. Pote Snitkin? A cool alien, but who had heard of him? They will make ANY Twilek in any frame of the movie, but argue some aliens are too obscure. Djas Puhr wasn't too obscure for them, but Hem Dazon, one of the most iconic aliens was almost not made; Hasbro had their doubts when they commented on him a few times. I don't remember seeing full body shots of Djas Puhr either.

And back to hope, part of the problem with the Hasbro backpeddle is we all secretly suspect the action figure line won't survive until their claims say it'd be possible, one of the reasons the Kenner Yarna figure didn't get produced is because the POTF1 line was folding, they even made a Yarna POTF coin prototype - I bet if Kenner had produced that Yarna figure back in the day, especially if it was hard to get, Hasbro would have made a Yarna D'al Gargan figure already and have even repainted it and put it in a Cinema Scene or something like that, rather than treating it like a joke..

That is my biggest worry - they keep saying be patient. They want to make the main characters every year and space out the figures the fans want over time. They are planning for the future, to avoid the collectors saying we have all of the characters we want and quitting. Do they really think that will happen, given that we buy resculpts over and over and over? What if all of these great figures the fans want are never made because they're spacing them out and the line dies? And by the way, since when isn't waiting 29 years, or 11 years depending on your point of view being impatient?

For me, I want a Yarna, the Tonnikas, Cliegg Lars, prequel Owen, and prequel Beru before the line dies. I really hope they get the job done!

JediTricks, your post is dead on and you said what I've been ranting about for a week now perfectly.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 08:30 PM
C'mon, y'all. Some of these guys are fans. They may not be able to tell you what color underpants Hermi Odle is wearing in frame 97, but I think if some of the sculptors had their way, it'd be nothing but cool aliens and droids from here on out.

They must've agreed on the joke. Don't you think if there was no shred of truth to it, one of them would've said, "Uh, guys, don't you think this could get us lynched before the Q&A is over?" The point was twofold: to show (in a roundabout, slightly backhanded way) that they are paying attention, and to kind of demonstrate what a dismal failure such a "fans' dream" wave would be. Seriously. Think about it. I'd like every figure on that list, aside from the dead Jawas, who are an affront to God and nature, but an assortment like that would be the last. And there are some people (not too many here, thankfully) who probably never thought about that before.

Droid
07-28-2006, 08:38 PM
NO ONE is asking for that wave. No one has requested a wave of DEAD action figures. Maybe some have mentioned SOME of the corpse figures, but that is not a huge fan demand. But as JediTricks just argued very elonquently, there is not ONE rational argument why Yarna and ICMG should not be made in light of other figures that WERE made. If you have such arguments present them. Why should Prune Face be made and not Yarna? Why should Slave Leia, Oola, Greeata, Rystall, Lyn Me, Outlander Twilek, the Twilek from the Watto's Box cinema scene, the blue Twilek massage girls that could have been made from the fan poll be made and not Yarna? Why should Rebel Flight Technician, that Naboo Soldier coming out, or the SCANNING CREW MEMBER be made and not ICMG?

Tycho
07-29-2006, 01:35 AM
I was reading this thread again and nearly ROTFLMAO. It's so funny when you take a step back: "request for dead action figures." LOL!!!

Let's add Dead Captain Needa with purple, asphyxiation face to the list.

How about Ponda Baba's bloody, severed arm - carded and with a collector's coin?

Not to leave the Prequels out - what of Road Kill Ratts Tyrell?

To add to the holiday figure collection, how about a special mummified Shmi Skywalker Corpse as a Mother's Day exclusive (maybe sold through Hallmark Stores)?

Actually aside from the Dead Jawa 2-pack, I want Hasbro's "joke figures."

Yarna - not so much. But I'd buy her. She's just not asthetically pleasing.
Wilrow Hood - yup, he's perfect for my Bespin Escape scene.
Dead Owen & Beru - I'd make a scene with one of the extra Luke Tatooines I probably have.
Funeral Pyre Qui-Gon - I'm doing a funeral scene from TPM anyway.
Funeral Pyre Vader - ditto. I was going to have a glass-blower artist make fire around a Vader figure for me.

plasticfetish
07-29-2006, 02:15 AM
;)

To make up for the Yarna joke, I hear Hasbro is going to make an E.T. Senator at last...

Tycho
07-29-2006, 08:19 AM
That's cool PlasticFetish. Did you get that ET figure at Universal Studios?

I mean to go there to buy about 12 of their smallest ones for my Senate scene.

Is that figure 3 3/4" scale? It's hard to tell without another figure in the picture. Hasbro's Senate car was lamely out of scale as it was. 4-5 figures should comfortably fit in each car.

Droid
07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Tycho, I think that is the E.T. that came with packages of Kraft Mac and Cheese several years back. I have one.

Jargo
07-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Wol Cabasshiite but no Yarna? B'Omarr monk twice but no Yarna? Elom and J'Quille but no Yarna? Saelt Marae but no Yarna? Ephant Mon but no Yarna?

Interestingly she's credited as 'Fat dancer' not six breasted floozey with dubious morals. She shares considerable screen time with Oola. She's seen several times sharing a drink with other palace denizens. Or jeering at Luke. She is no more a background character than Boba Fett. Or Tessek or Ree Yees. Or Amanaman. Or any Skiff guard. The only reason she hasn't been made is because she is a she and she's fat. Like I've said many times, labelling a figure of her as 'Jabba's favourite dancer' seeing as she survives by being good at her job. gets round the stupid EU bio. It also makes for a better legacy for Claire davenport who played her and is no longer with us. I'm sure The estate of Claire davenport would be more willing to sign an ok for 'Jabba's favourite dancer than they would for 'six breasted floozey'

But it seems that unless the women are slim, good looking or almost naked, hasbro won't touch them. Unless they're Lucas' kids.

on the subject of the other figures from the joke wave, I wouldn't want charred owen and beru or dead jawas, neither do I see a need to make funeral pyre figures. And ICMG I've never even seen in the movie but I'd sooner have Jeremy Bulloch in Imperial uniform if we're getting Bespin figures.

End of the day, Yarna and ICMG are not in the same league as dead and crispy characters. they have a fanbase. probably moreso than any of the background characters we've had so far. Which while cool to have sometimes make you wonder why hasbro went that route when there are more obvious choices they could have made.
I agree with JT in saying that hasbro needs to address this seriously and explain why Yarna is on that list as a stupid idea. Any more stupid than Elis Helrot? Kitik Keed'Kak? No of course not. They help flesh out the cantina in the same way Yarna helps flesh out the throne room. (pardon the pun)

Does hasbro think making the dragonsnake is cool? I'm sure they do despite it only being seen as a dorsal hump in the movie. Is that more essential than yarna?

How about that clonetrooper, y'know the one with those markings, from that nano second shot, he's there in the distance on that vehicle, you know the one.......

Blue2th
07-29-2006, 10:03 AM
This is how you treat a red headed stepchild. You tell him to ask questions be inquisitive, then you make fun of him in front of his friends for asking such stupid questions. Oh sure you might give him what he wants eventually, but you sure made him feel like crap while showing him you have the power to knock him back down.

Luuuuuuke
07-29-2006, 11:29 AM
This is how you treat a red headed stepchild. You tell him to ask questions be inquisitive, then you make fun of him in front of his friends for asking such stupid questions. Oh sure you might give him what he wants eventually, but you sure made him feel like crap while showing him you have the power to knock him back down.
It's Karma. No collectors have the sense of self-entitlement and self-importance that we Star Wars fans have. And no fans work so hard to make those who don't know as much about Star Wars feel like "crap" than Star Wars fans, if not outright ignore them.

It's almost become a cliche to hear Star Wars collectors post stuff like: "Sorry Hasbro, you're not getting my money on this one" or "Sorry Hasbro, you dropped the ball on this one."

The line keeps getting better and better and people still complain about just about every minute detail as if toys were a commodity. They're not, they're a luxury.

It was a lame-*** joke. Personally, I think people should get over it. But maybe some people are just more hard-core about everything Star Wars than others.

Blue2th
07-29-2006, 12:07 PM
We do take ourselves too seriously sometimes. I for one appreciate what they have made so far. Still it's no excuse to pull a thing like that. Is this Hasbro's way of telling their fans like William Shatner to "Get a Life"? I don't think it was a good marketing decision on their part and they probably realize it. In a non-movie period where alot of kids would rather buy other toys, who else do they have? Us collectors..........Don't bite the hand that feeds you (during the lean years) I could care less about the Ice-Cream guy (that IS a joke) or burnt characters (funeral pire Vader would be ok though) but Yarna is part of Jabba's entourage. She's part of Rebo's band or entertainment. All the other dancers and musicians have been made (except for Weequay gong dude) I think she will be made eventually. Why not make a Yarna sooner just to show how much they appreciate us. Or put her in a Battle pack with some of the other re-pack denizens.

El Chuxter
07-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Jargo EDP, why would we need to get around the stupid EU bio? She's only called a prostitute in a few early behind-the-scenes pieces. Her bio is a little fleshed out with silly details (like her cubs and her eventual marriage to Sgt Doallyn), but essentially what you said: she's Jabba's favorite dancer.

Speaking of Doallyn, I'd kill for a Yarna, but I'd have no complaints if Hasbro made him first. A palace guard with a cool helmet? He'd be a better seller overall.

Aside from that comment, I'm done with this thread. The joke was lame, but not the end of the world. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall and wasting my "breath" here.

plasticfetish
07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Word.

Tycho, I think that is the E.T. that came with packages of Kraft Mac and Cheese several years back.Exactly. :thumbsup: (It's a pretty good scale figure also, perhaps a little tall, but close.)

stad
07-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Getting back to ICMG, let's really look at this, a lot of us - myself included - think it's a bit of a silly idea to make an action figure out of Willrow Hood, a background civilian in Cloud City running for escape holding an Ice Cream Maker (the prop department should be ashamed of that one :p), but exactly how is that any WORSE than this guy? http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=17992&cat=4660
Come on, if it weren't for the ridiculous gun and the aurebesh on his helmet, this is a tarmac mechanic from LAX, and it's next to impossible to find him in the film - yet he wasn't on any top 50 requested list I ever saw, but Hasbro has no problem producing a nobody piece of crap like this with universal-jointed shoulders and knees, diagonal-cut elbows, and rotating wrists no less!!! This schmo gets an action figure with double-articulation when he looks like he should be climbing around 727 engines and you can't see him in the movie, but Willrow Hood is somehow less credible as a candidate for being made as an action figure, less deserving even though he at least has fan-backing that this nobody POS doesn't enjoy??? Come on, get serious.

Agreed. The difference is it is already too late to do anything about this waste of a figure slot. It's not too late to save the figure slot ICMG would fill for anything else even remotely worthwhile. Heck, I'd almost rather see a repaint than ICMG.

What someone else said about them "announcing this wave" and then taking it away being a cruel joke, I think everyone needs to step back and realize they're looking at it from an internet perspective. This was a joke, meant for the people there. It's not like they announced this, and only let people in on the joke the next day. It was what, not even a full minute before the next slide? Sure they know we want Yarna, and they're not ready to announce her, that's why putting her in with figures that are obviously never going to be made shows that it's just a joke.

The real joke is that it's what, a week later? And people are still ranting about what a horrible joke it was.

Slicker
07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Man, that joke was just bull****!! How are they gonna KNOW what we want and just toy with us **** HasBLO and they're stupi...oh, wait. I've already ranted in this thread.

Ignore me.

Phantom-like Menace
07-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I could care less about the Ice-Cream guy

Well, at least Hood is more useful in dioramas. Minus his odd accessory he's just a guy in a nondescript jumpsuit. He could fit in as ground crew in a hangar scene or maintenance at the night club from AotC or just about any other diorama that needs some dude; he's the ultimate in scenery. I'd buy a couple of him just to have them hanging around different scenes. A few head swaps will give you a vast array of handy fillers for scenes. Yarna is rather scene-specific.

Luuuuuuke
07-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I think there's distinct possibility that people are overreacting because they're assuming that joke is a sign they're not going to make "Yarna." Don't you think it's possible they threw her in because--despite the racy way they described her--she made the list look credible? In other words, it made the prank less transparent?

I bet eventually they end up making her. Hasbro's and Kenner for that matter have made a lot of figures that we probably didn't think they would. Just give it time and don't read too much into a lame joke.

JEDIpartner
07-30-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm not ****ed off... I just want a Yarna figure. NOW!

Slicker
07-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Wow. I just realized that the Naboo Soldier (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=17992&cat=4660) looks almost EXACTLY like one of the Moonraker soldiers from the James Bond movie of the same name.

Droid
07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
But it seems that unless the women are slim, good looking or almost naked, hasbro won't touch them. Unless they're Lucas' kids.

Are you saying someone at Hasbro touched Lucas' kids? :eek:

Banthaholic
07-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Jargo
Speaking of Doallyn, I'd kill for a Yarna, but I'd have no complaints if Hasbro made him first. A palace guard with a cool helmet? He'd be a better seller overall.

As much as I want Yarna, I also would be happy with a Doallyn. We have the new Jabba's balace Chewie this year only seems right. I'd also love the human version of Jabba's skiff guard.

Tycho
07-30-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd also love the human version of Jabba's skiff guard.

The guy who shoots Luke's hand? I want him too!

Droid
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
The guy who shoots Luke's hand? I want him too!

Taym Dren-garen is his name and I want him too. I think it is funny that he is never on anyone's radar as a figure that should be made given that he SHOT Luke! Who else can say that?

Also, I would buy a couple of him to put around the palace. I often thought of customizing Nikto with a human head and hands somehow, but I'd rather Hasbro would make him.

Tycho
07-30-2006, 04:14 PM
It just occurred to me that both Luke & Leia get shot in ROTJ. Is there any symbolism going on in that?

(Leia in the arm at the Shield Bunker on Endor, Luke in the hand on the sailbarge)

Droid
07-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Ya, but Han didn't grab Luke's chest and cop a feel when Luke got shot! (Then again maybe he would have if he had been able to see.)

stad
07-30-2006, 08:01 PM
It just occurred to me that both Luke & Leia get shot in ROTJ. Is there any symbolism going on in that?

(Leia in the arm at the Shield Bunker on Endor, Luke in the hand on the sailbarge)

I've just never gotten over the blatant boob grab by Han right after Leia is shot at the Bunker. Always felt it was strange that was allowed in there.

Yeah, I know, veering off topic.

Just re-watch it, it's there. He moves his hand real fast after he does it too.

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Han also cops a feel in ANH when trying to help Leia get on top of the trash in the garbage masher.

Darth Cruel
07-30-2006, 10:31 PM
To get back on subject, I am not in agreemnent with the people who say that these two figures are in big demand. There can be no doubt that there is a lot of noise made for them and that there IS demand...but it seems apparent to me that it is by a relatively small group of collectors. Does any body know how many signatures were collected for the petition(s)?

I also think it is funny when people say they don't think that Yarna is intended to be 6-breasted. Come on now.

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
1,839 signatures on the ICMG petition, and how many signatures were on the Naboo Fakeass Soldier petition again? :p How many people look at that Boeing Technician and say "gee, everybody wants an action figure of that guy!", how much screen time does he have compared to Yarna D'al Gargan?

Darth Cruel
07-30-2006, 10:55 PM
I won't even pretend to understand what prompted Hasbro to do the Naboo "Soldier" or "Technician" or whatever he is supposed to be. Did he even have a petition or poll? I am OK with it as a figure, though. But in the big picture...1,839 is hardly overwhelming demand to get a production run of a figure for a character. And how long has that petition been up? I am GUESSING that the Yarna and Willrow lovers will need ten times that support to get those figures made because with the comments that have ALLEGEDLY been made by Hasbro concerning there lack of interest in these figures (particularly Yarna), I think it should be obvious to most people by now that there is more to the decision not to make the figure than how many people may or may not buy it. What that may be...I don't know. But it COULD have something to do with her character just simply being vile. Even more vile than Jabba the Hutt.

Droid
07-31-2006, 06:25 AM
And the Rancor Keeper is beautiful. Why should a female character not be made because some argue she is ugly while no one considers any sort of prettiness factor when it comes to the male characters?

Phantom-like Menace
07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeah, but how many people signed ICMG's petition because it amused them more than synched with their desire to purchase him. I do things simply to amuse myself all the time. Hell, I've got such a bad memory I might have signed it, though I would buy him if I saw him, again largely because it amuses me.

Darth Cruel
07-31-2006, 07:09 AM
And the Rancor Keeper is beautiful. Why should a female character not be made because some argue she is ugly while no one considers any sort of prettiness factor when it comes to the male characters?

LOL - I have to presume you are jesting as nobody petitioned for the Rancor Keeper as far as I am aware. Does anyone know of a petition that I don't know about? Or even a poll that pitted Yarna against Malakili that the Rancor Keeper received more votes than Yarna on? As far as I know, he was thrown at us and was only moderately accepted. He was as big a peg-warmer as I would expect Yarna to be.

I can't and never do speak for anyone but myself. And I personally don't care about the character's looks. I am not trying to date the figures. There are lots of homely characters that have been made and I have no problem with the looks on those figures.

It seems to me that the Yarna advocates really need a champion to develope a real argument for getting Yarna made (in no way am I intending to be a volunteer).

I will offer the Yarna lovers a piece of advice: Keep up the fight and make a lot of noise as a sqeeky wheel has more of a chance to get greased than a quiet one. And like I always say...I want to see EVERY single character that was ever on screen and ALL of the EU stuff as well get made into figures (as long as they are well-articulated).

Slicker
07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I've just never gotten over the blatant boob grab by Han right after Leia is shot at the Bunker. Always felt it was strange that was allowed in there.Quite a handful. (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/HansBoobGrab.gif)

Tycho
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Honestly, I always thought he was just trying to help her sit up, out of weapons range. I think you could make a big deal of it if you wanted to, but I don't think Carrie would have let Harrison pull a Justin Timberlake just to see if they could get away with it in the movie. (Off the set, sure, I'm sure she liked it) But it does look like he had contact with a private area there - just not in the sexiest of settings with guys in white armor and Ewoks watching you...

Meanwhile, very few of Leia's costumes had less sex appeal - Boussh for sure, but Endor doesn't rank as one of the honorable mentions.

stad
07-31-2006, 04:44 PM
To get back on subject, I am not in agreemnent with the people who say that these two figures are in big demand. There can be no doubt that there is a lot of noise made for them and that there IS demand...but it seems apparent to me that it is by a relatively small group of collectors. Does any body know how many signatures were collected for the petition(s)?

I also think it is funny when people say they don't think that Yarna is intended to be 6-breasted. Come on now.
This is exactly my point earlier (way earlier). For the record, I think it applies WAY more to ICMG than Yarna, though. I would like them to make a Yarna figure, eventually, but it doesn't really worry me or keep me awake at night. ICMG, I really couldn't care less about, I probably would buy him, but I'd much rather see almost any other character made than him.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM

Ignore me.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Awesome. Every home should have one.

Blue2th
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Quite a handful. (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/HansBoobGrab.gif)
The things you never notice till someone.....Taken out of context that looks exciting:grin:

Jargo
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
she certainly looks good to go.....

plasticfetish
07-31-2006, 07:03 PM
...nudge, nudge... wink, wink... say no more, say no more.

Blue2th
07-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I love these forums. So many things ya don't know. I had to watch ESB again just to find that Ice Cream Guy! I had to watch ANH and ESB again just to find out the Millenium Falcon prop has no window glass! (another thread) ANH again to find the Space Trooper (Q&A) And now the titilating scene with Han and Leia. (I don't have to watch that 'cause well, it's here!) lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2006, 08:15 PM
As far as making Yarna and Willrow . . . wouldn't it just be easier if they made them to please everyone? They could do them as an exclusive in a box marked "Shut The F*** Up, Fanboys." :D

As far as Willrow goes . . . well, they've never really made any random Bespin citizens (aside from Ugnaughts, the Cloud Car Pilot, and whatnot), have they? He's really the only noteworthy one, but only because he's carrying the damn ice cream thing and everyone's made it out to be such a big deal. Frankly I wouldn't care if he never got made, but it would be nice.

Yarna, as has been said, is much more noticeable than a lot of other characters that have been made into figures. However, there are still plenty of talking characters (Jamilia, Cliegg, Rebels, Imperials, etc.) that need to be made, and I'd rather see them first. But I'd like Yarna anyway.

I'd also love to see Qui-Gon and Vader on funeral pyres . . . a light-up flame effect could be really awesome, and I actually do want those figures. Dead Padmé and Shmi, too. They've already made "dead" Jango, Darth Maul, Tusken Raider, and Dooku (though they didn't mention it on the packages). Then again, they're not as "gruesome" as the ones I mentioned . . . I asked about it in the Hasbro question thread, maybe they'll address it someday.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-31-2006, 10:43 PM
As far as making Yarna and Willrow . . . wouldn't it just be easier if they made them to please everyone? They could do them as an exclusive in a box marked "Shut The F*** Up, Fanboys." :DHilarious. I'd buy that just for the box.

I'd also love to see Qui-Gon and Vader on funeral pyres . . . a light-up flame effect could be really awesome, and I actually do want those figures. Dead Padmé and Shmi, too. They've already made "dead" Jango, Darth Maul, Tusken Raider, and Dooku (though they didn't mention it on the packages). Then again, they're not as "gruesome" as the ones I mentioned . . . I asked about it in the Hasbro question thread, maybe they'll address it someday.They also made Tusken female with child, so that you could act out the massacre they didn't show on screen.

Jargo
08-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I think a big box of figures marked "Shut The F*** Up, Fanboys." is a remarkably cool idea. you forgot about dead Kit Fisto and Agen Kolar and slice apart Geonosian.

Personally I'd use the commtech Vader and build a pyre from short lengths of garden twig. dunno about flames but for me DIY seems the better way to go.

Qui-Gon I never cared for at all. I don't even have a figure of him now. hasbro made him look like jesus and it always put me off. Really couldn't care less if we never got another Qui-Gon figure ever ever EVER!

Wilrow Hood. looks like a car wash dude, carries an ice cream maker. hmmmm. NEXT!

The dead Jawas looked odd in the movie, like someone deflated them. if i was going to get new jawas it'd be the freaky tall one from the droid sale and some drunk ones from outside the cantina. with painted yellow eyes not the light pipe thing. and at least one with sleeves slightly short showing off the hairy arms like you see outside the cantina as the jawa fondles the landspeeder.

I think I'd sooner have a new sculpt of Uncle Owen in a 2-pack with flashback Beru (articulated right arm rather than that pre-posed one) than charred skeletons. Owen got a rough deal in his previous rendition - hand on hip half-arsed attempt at a facial sculpt, scrawny legs. He needs a decent sculpt doing. shove owen and beru in a box with Luke, sat round the dining table with the blue milk and horrid looking food. Or with moisture vaporator and perimeter droid.

Yarna i need not mention as she's been discussed ad infinitum and everyone should know my feelings on that score by now.

Rogue II
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I watched ROTJ last weekend with my kid and now understand why Hasbro is hesitant about a Funeral Pyre Vader, or Qui-Gon for that matter. Try explaining that figure to a 4 or 5 year old.

...but I still want one. Make it an internet exclusive.

When I was a kid, I remember taking the cloth cape off of the Jawa, putting in C-3PO's arms, and pretending he was tossing it in a fire. Anyway, I refuse to believe there is a real demand for dead Jawas. Like Mr. DP says, either make the freaky tall Jawa, or the Jawa that fans Jabba.

Wilrow Hood...isn't there a guy in a jump suit from another 3.75" line that can substitute for him? I don't know...GI Joe or that other generic military line has to have one. Give him the cap from a tube of Testor model glue (looks close enough to a mini ice cream maker). Then, someone could photoshop a Star Wars card back for it and let all the ICMG supporters download it. Walla, Carded Wilrow Hood. Crisis overted...move on to the next figure.

figrin bran
08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
haha, everything seems to lead back to GI Joe for Rogue II. ;)

TheDarthVader
08-01-2006, 10:09 PM
haha, everything seems to lead back to GI Joe for Rogue II. ;)

Yeah. :D Just get cobra commander and make him some kind of special ops trooper! :D

stad
08-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, there you go. Hasbro has now officially said (this week's Q & A) that they will eventually get around to making ICMG, for all the lovers of this idiot figure. I will do my part and buy one when and if he ever comes out, but I really hope the pegs aren't clogged with this boring figure. So that should put to rest all of the whining from the vocal minority that say Hasbro will not commit to making this figure, when they make one of the Naboo Flight Technician, or whatever his title is this week. And while this wasn't brought up, I'm relatively sure that Yarna would fall into this category as well.

Ha Ha! They still will not commit to when they will make it!

In fact, I now hope that they never make these two figures before the line folds, simply out of spite :twisted: for all of the people that really, really, do want one!:mad:

Okay, maybe I'm not really that mean.

Tycho
08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I just saw this news. Now the crowd that loves being annoying over making Hasbro produce obscure characters we thought they'd never make before (Wuher, Porkins - early victories - Wulf Yularen an upcoming one) can have everyone move to petitioning for Nyrat Agira: http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/nyratagira/index.html

I wasn't kidding. When Anakin and Obi-Wan first walk into Club Outlander, there's a great shot of her assets she brings to AOTC. :love:

Thongs are indeed more powerful than lightsabers!

Notice the movement has gone from characters with speaking lines, to non-speaking extras with folks like Wilrow Hood being demanded.

I think when Pote Snitkin was made, Hasbro saw the chance to strike at us (but with a really cool figure) and make us go "Who? What?" Now let them try and figure out who Nyrat Agira is. Hehe. She'd result in a pretty nice figure however.

But while we're at it, let's not let up on Brea and Senni Tonnika. It seems that when Christine Hewitt agreed not to be a problem (presumably at C3 - I met her and she said she had no problem with an action figure of Brea being made, though she thinks she was Senni and the characters were mis-credited - or I have that backwards...anyway).

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
So now even Hasbro admits it was a jerky thing to pull on fans:

JediDefender.com: OK, ToyFare #109 is now available at comic and book stores everywhere. In that issue, we finally get the news that Quinlan Vos and Darth Revan were selected as the winner(s) of the latest Fan Choice poll. Willow Hood (the Ice Cream Maker Guy) seems to have a huge fan following among collectors. He even has enough of a fan following at Hasbro to be included in the joke wave presented during the Comic-Con panel. Even though Willow didn't win the Toy Fare Fan's Choice poll, when can we expect to see him on the pegs? He'd make a nice two-pack if you paired him with a new super-articulated Bespin Han or Bespin Luke (hint, hint). You've got 12 more years ('til 2018), so you have to get to him eventually, right?

Hasbro: OK, it was cruel perhaps to include him (and Yarna) among a group that we would obviously never do. We WILL do Willrow eventually, but there is no timetable for his debut. In any case, it won't be in the 2007 line which is already put to bed
I still want to know why funeral pyre Vader & Qui-Gon are that "out there" though. To me, that "we'd never do" list should just be the dead Jawas, everything else seems at least as reasonable as crap like the Naboo AT&T Tech.

I think when Pote Snitkin was made, Hasbro saw the chance to strike at us (but with a really cool figure) and make us go "Who? What?" Now let them try and figure out who Nyrat Agira is. Hehe. She'd result in a pretty nice figure however.Funny you'd chose Pote as your example, seeing as he was cancelled and had to be turned into an exclusive to get released later. You could say the Rancor Keeper was Hasbro seeing a chance to strike, but that figure was one of the worst pegwarmers of all time. Hmm, I think I'm seeing a trend. ;)

But while we're at it, let's not let up on Brea and Senni Tonnika. It seems that when Christine Hewitt agreed not to be a problem (presumably at C3 - I met her and she said she had no problem with an action figure of Brea being made, though she thinks she was Senni and the characters were mis-credited - or I have that backwards...anyway).I certainly won't, despite that crappy "no comment" Hasbro fed us.

Tycho
08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I still want to know why funeral pyre Vader & Qui-Gon are that "out there" though. To me, that "we'd never do" list should just be the dead Jawas, everything else seems at least as reasonable as crap like the Naboo AT&T Tech.

I agree with regards to Vader and Qui-Gon. As far as figures Hasbro should never make:

Dead Jawa 2-pack goes along with these others:

Porkins After the Battle of Yavin
Biggs as space dust (with 900 points of disjointed articulation!)
Dead Stormtrooper
Burnt Ewok
etc.

Others, like even a beast pack featuring "Dead Jabba the Hutt" (with pack-in Slave Leia) might actually fly (I'd buy that!)

Funny you'd chose Pote as your example, seeing as he was cancelled and had to be turned into an exclusive to get released later.

He wasn't cancelled, it's just that Hasbro had overloaded the stores with Mon Mothma and some of the Leia Ewok Princess figures were still hanging around at that time, 8D8 moved slower etc. TRU, Target, and Wal-Mart just weren't ordering and Hasbro wanted to clear out the '98's to make way for the Flashback transition and eventually the CommTech figures. The time for retailing Pote Snitkin and his wave ran out. You can't argue that the AT-AT Driver was an uninteresting figure that needed to be cancelled.

You could say the Rancor Keeper was Hasbro seeing a chance to strike, but that figure was one of the worst pegwarmers of all time.

Malakali was a vintage figure released by Kenner though. That will make many a collector want a modern resculpt of him, regardless of how unexciting he might be. I want a white male, human B-wing pilot (the only B-wing pilot we have is Ten Numb, a Sullustan) made for the exact same reason. (Arvel Crynyd wore a green A-wing pilot uniform and was credited with crashing into the Executer's bridge. Hasbro mislabled the character. Furthermore, the red-uniformed character that Hasbro made in that pilots' 3-pack in '98, was actually a Y-wing pilot - you can tell by the uniform and helmet equipment.

Hmm, I think I'm seeing a trend. ;)

I'm not. This is a dense moment for Tycho. When he is tempted by stupidity. You may have to spell this one out. Your sarcasm was lost on me.

RE: THE TONNIKA SISTERS:

I certainly won't, despite that crappy "no comment" Hasbro fed us.

Good. Vigilance will get those ladies made perhaps. When they are finally released, it will be another milestone for the modern line, as Wedge, Han Trooper, Tarkin, Slave Leia, Vader Removeable Helmet, etc. were before them.

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
As far as figures Hasbro should never make:
... Dead StormtrooperToo late. Commtech Stormtrooper, 1999, has a color-change blast mark on his chest to indicate he's been shot, and enough articulation to pull off a "dead" pose.

Others, like even a beast pack featuring "Dead Jabba the Hutt" (with pack-in Slave Leia) might actually fly (I'd buy that!)Take that tongue Saga Jabba comes with, put it in the Ep 1 Jabba Glob's mouth upside-down and it looks like he's dying. :D

He wasn't cancelled, it's just that Hasbro had overloaded the stores with Mon Mothma and some of the Leia Ewok Princess figures were still hanging around at that time, 8D8 moved slower etc. TRU, Target, and Wal-Mart just weren't ordering and Hasbro wanted to clear out the '98's to make way for the Flashback transition and eventually the CommTech figures. The time for retailing Pote Snitkin and his wave ran out. You can't argue that the AT-AT Driver was an uninteresting figure that needed to be cancelled.That wave *WAS* cancelled, it did not get sold to retail at all, it was pulled from current and future case assortment offerings, the Fan Club saved it from extinction (I bought the set at Frank & Sons before we knew it was canned, sent photos to the purple & black SSG making them the first with carded photos) but it was gone. Pote Snitkin, Death Star Droid, Hoth Leia, and AT-AT Driver were deemed too unknown or uninteresting to move product.

Malakali was a vintage figure released by Kenner though. That will make many a collector want a modern resculpt of him, regardless of how unexciting he might be.And yet, he warmed the pegs so heavily it became a cliche, and keep in mind this was when Hasbro was still pandering heavily to the kid collectors since they were 3/4ths of the buyers, they weren't depending on the mature collectors to carry the line. I think you invest far more weight onto these "Kenner did 'em" figures than the collecting base actually enjoys, just because YOU might want something and 10 other collectors might want something doesn't mean 49,989 other collectors that Hasbro is trying to entice do, that's who Hasbro is looking at.

I'm not. This is a dense moment for Tycho. When he is tempted by stupidity. You may have to spell this one out. Your sarcasm was lost on me.No matter how rare or whether Kenner did it in the vintage line or any other perception of importance, some figures just don't sell.

Good. Vigilance will get those ladies made perhaps.I've been complaining about them for 7 years on this site now, and still not a Tonnika in sight. :ermm:

Rogue II
08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I've been complaining about them for 7 years on this site now, and still not a Tonnika in sight. :ermm:

From the way Hasbro has talked about the Tonnika Sisters, I've given up on getting them. I found it strange they didn't even make the Toyfare poll. I still would have voted for Yarna, but I want the sisters before ICMG.

Maybe it's time to revive and update character Tycho's polls for Jabba's Palace and the Cantina. Let's see who everyone wants.

Tycho
08-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Maybe it's time to revive and update character Tycho's polls for Jabba's Palace and the Cantina. Let's see who everyone wants.

The ones I did for SSG way back when? I'm going to search for those now and see how Hasbro has done. Good idea Rogue!

I first thought you meant the scene by scene thread. That one I'm deliberately holding off from re-doing, as they need to complete our Top 50, not "always have 50 things to do."

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Why all the bad vibes on the Naboo Soldier? I just checked the DVD and he's right in there with the pilots and the two Naboo Soldiers that have already been made. Sure, it would be nice to see the pilots instead, but this figure was probably one they could make more easily. Someday, we'd probably be asking for him to make our Naboo hangar scenes complete. Plus, it is another figure they could repack into a future battle pack along with previous Naboo Soldier and Security figures. Maybe they'll get the color right if they redo the old Naboo Soldier, as his vest is orange, but in the movie, it looks more brown.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm not certain, but I think they can use the Naboo service technician as the basis for:

Naboo fighter pilots (add a cloak to them, plus helmet)

Wilrow Hood - it's just a non-descript jumpsuit, right? The real detail belongs to the Ice Cream Maker Prop!

dindae
08-08-2006, 07:38 AM

The only difference between these figure and normal figures is that they are on a bed of sticks. This is one custom that I'm not worried about doing. As long as Hasbro thinks of this as a kids line and promotes it as such I certainly understand not having corpse figures. Figure that get hacked up, blown apart, and shot figures with smoldering corpse action are kinda lame.

JediTricks
08-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Why all the bad vibes on the Naboo Soldier? I just checked the DVD and he's right in there with the pilots and the two Naboo Soldiers that have already been made. Sure, it would be nice to see the pilots instead, but this figure was probably one they could make more easily. Someday, we'd probably be asking for him to make our Naboo hangar scenes complete. Plus, it is another figure they could repack into a future battle pack along with previous Naboo Soldier and Security figures. Maybe they'll get the color right if they redo the old Naboo Soldier, as his vest is orange, but in the movie, it looks more brown.1) You have to go check the DVD to see where he is, he's a background nobody who was on no collector's mind and all but has to be freeze-framed to find.
2) He looks like a generic nobody who doesn't look even remotely Star Wars-y, and since they had to pay to tool this figure either way it could just as easily have been a Naboo Pilot - who is featured far more prominently than this jerko.
3) And most importantly, Hasbro pulls him out of the ether and puts him in the line when there are possibly hundreds of figures collectors would rather see Hasbro do before this, yet acts like Yarna and ICMG are somehow not viable as figures when they are at least as deserving as this Naboo Nobody figure we're getting.
4) The real killer is that if this nothing figure doesn't sell because he's boring as hell and nobody asked for him to be made, Hasbro will see this as another strike against Yarna and ICMG and a lot of other more-worthy figures.

I'm not certain, but I think they can use the Naboo service technician as the basis for:

Naboo fighter pilots (add a cloak to them, plus helmet)Yeah, all they'll have to do is change the helmet, torso, arms, legs, and add a cloak. :p No, the Naboo pilot outfit is significantly different, look at the Ep 1 Ric Olie figure.

The only difference between these figure and normal figures is that they are on a bed of sticks.And the pose and the fact that they have flames shooting out them and it'd be creepy to have an eyes-open Qui-Gon getting burned up.

dindae
08-08-2006, 03:25 PM
And the pose and the fact that they have flames shooting out them and it'd be creepy to have an eyes-open Qui-Gon getting burned up.

So you want a big ball of flame with a crispy figure center and you find the eyes being open creepy?:p The pose should be easy to do. I think my vintage Vader can pull off the flat on his back pose. If you want them to do cheesy plastic flames on the figure I can understand wanting them to make it but I will suggest you look at the Demise of Greivous figure before you start campaigning for these. As far as Qui-Gon's eyes you could always paint them if it makes you too uneasy.

JediTricks
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
So you want a big ball of flame with a crispy figure center and you find the eyes being open creepy?:p The pose should be easy to do. I think my vintage Vader can pull off the flat on his back pose. If you want them to do cheesy plastic flames on the figure I can understand wanting them to make it but I will suggest you look at the Demise of Greivous figure before you start campaigning for these. As far as Qui-Gon's eyes you could always paint them if it makes you too uneasy.You would think the pose would be easy, it SHOULD be easy, but there's no netural Qui-Gon figure to pull it off, and with Vader the legs and arms will have to be VERY close together which I'm not sure can be pulled off (probably close enough though). Just because the flames on DoG sucked doesn't mean Hasbro has to do such a poor job, they have done better. Plus, there's not 1 but 2 death of Grievous action figures, a shot stormtrooper, decapitated Tusken Raider and Jango, sliced Passael and Cat Miin, and halved Maul, so it's not like they have a problem with dead guy figs. Anyway, I'm not campaigning for these, I'm merely pointing out that they're not as ludicrous as a 2pack of empty Jawa robes.

plasticfetish
08-08-2006, 03:44 PM
So you want a big ball of flame with a crispy figure center...For a "real life" funeral pyre Vader™, I suggest buying a Titanium Vader, a small Hibachi and a liter of lighter fluid.*

*Neither plasticfetish or any of his subsidiaries hold any responsibility for injuries suffered during use of "real life" funeral pyre Vader™.

Jargo
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I think the fact anyone would want a figure of a burning Anakin or Qui-Gon a bit creepy. The most I'd reckon hasbro would be willing to do is a Qui-Gon with a saber hole through his torso. dying but not dead. just a little hole in the chest with a singed edge.

Vader, well chopped off hand, removable mask, that's about as dead or dying as I'd want to go with him. I really didn't much like the kentucky fried anakin on the slab figure from ROS. I think it pushed a bit too far. The sliced up Geonosian warrior troubles me too.

Besides, wouldn't people want super articulated figures of vader and Qui-Gon over barbequed versions?

Blue2th
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Qui-Gon with a saber hole through his torso. dying but not dead. just a little hole in the chest with a singed edge.

Might have to do that one myself. Drill a hole in a Qui-Gon, and put a Maul Lightsaber through it. Trying to think if there is a Qui-Gon with bending knees though. That's how he should be posed.............Hasbro made a dead Ep2 Clone Trooper in the base of the Unleashed one. You don't see his face so I guess it's ok.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Qui-Gon could be made with a "filler-plug" - thus you could have a perfectly normal Qui-Gon, and then pop-out a cylinder of plastic in his chest (barely larger in width than Maul's saber blade) and you have a hole in his chest. The whole cylinder (designed with ends to look like the front and back of his tunic) would not be too small of part and probably would be larger than a lightsaber hilt. No trouble with choking hazards either, as the Jedi commlinks packed with later E1 figures were much smalller.

As to the fire - the DoG did look like crap I think - I never saw it in person because I never went looking for it. But pics on the web made me definitely not want to look for it. But I was going to have a glass blowing artist make fire for me (they often do custom work at craft fairs) and have them make the fire around Qui-Gon and Vader figures on appropriate "creamation" bases (the Naboo stone or the Endor kindling wood). The bases would also be made of a darker painted glass; the fire would be created using a more transparent painted glass. I'd actually prefer doing it this way, as the scenes would be unique in my dioramas, as I have no other plans for glass art.

I don't really think I need a special Qui-Gon or Vader figure for these scenes - I already own regular ones I was saving for these uses when I come across a talented, custom glass blower again (I used to buy glass-blown animal characters for my first real girlfriend in college, as she started collecting those when a craft fair came to our campus and we were walking home together. Each semester when the fair came, it became our tradition for several years.)

Blue2th
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I was looking at the little flames on the SDCC exclusive mini Bust-up Vader that I picked up at the con. Something could probably be done with two or three of those for a Funeral Pire Vader or Qui-Gon.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2006, 06:16 PM
1) You have to go check the DVD to see where he is, he's a background nobody who was on no collector's mind and all but has to be freeze-framed to find.There are a lot of figures that have been made that I did not remember from the movies. Djas Puhr, Amanaman and Ephant Mon were even Fan's Choice selections. The latter two were easy enough to see, but Djas Puhr was a bit more difficult.

2) He looks like a generic nobody who doesn't look even remotely Star Wars-y, and since they had to pay to tool this figure either way it could just as easily have been a Naboo Pilot - who is featured far more prominently than this jerko.He is about as generic as the scanning trooper or an imperial officer. He seems to fit right in with the Naboo Soldiers and Pilots, so he is at least Star Warsy by association. As far as tooling him, I imagine such a generic figure like that might be cheaper and easier to do. They didn't have to sculpt a cloak or include a soft goods cloak that a pilot would require.

4) The real killer is that if this nothing figure doesn't sell because he's boring as hell and nobody asked for him to be made, Hasbro will see this as another strike against Yarna and ICMG and a lot of other more-worthy figures.I don't follow the logic here. A figure that we didn't want doesn't sell, so they conclude that figures we do want won't sell either? :confused:

Yeah, all they'll have to do is change the helmet, torso, arms, legs, and add a cloak. :p No, the Naboo pilot outfit is significantly different, look at the Ep 1 Ric Olie figure.I think all they would have to do is repaint him, change the helmet and give him a cloak. Actually, even simpler would be to just take his articulated legs and put them on Ric Olie and add a cloak. Maybe they could also repaint him and release him as a Yavin base flight tech or something.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I think all they would have to do is repaint him, change the helmet and give him a cloak. Actually, even simpler would be to just take his articulated legs and put them on Ric Olie and add a cloak. Maybe they could also repaint him and release him as a Yavin base flight tech or something.

Exactly. I also think (but am not certain) that they could use this guy for an eventual base for a Wilrow Hood (ICMG) figure, too. They just want to get the mold's worth out of 2-3 figures for this.

JediTricks
08-09-2006, 06:42 PM
There are a lot of figures that have been made that I did not remember from the movies. Djas Puhr, Amanaman and Ephant Mon were even Fan's Choice selections. The latter two were easy enough to see, but Djas Puhr was a bit more difficult.The difference there is that they are all aliens, and this guy is just a regular generic human, too boring to even be in the GI Joe line.

He is about as generic as the scanning trooper or an imperial officer. He seems to fit right in with the Naboo Soldiers and Pilots, so he is at least Star Warsy by association. As far as tooling him, I imagine such a generic figure like that might be cheaper and easier to do. They didn't have to sculpt a cloak or include a soft goods cloak that a pilot would require.I disagree, the Imperial Officer costumes feature prominently in the OT and are seen on many noteworthy characters. The Death Star Scanning Tech was a scene in ANH with some small significance, and lots of people actually requested that figure even though he was minor, and Hasbro only put him out as an afterthought. Nobody asked for this Naboo figure, and he's not in a scene of any importance. I don't see how you can say he's Star Warsy by association enough to warrant a figure, the soldiers and pilots you cite are background extras, not the greatest of connections, might as well use that argument for figures of the camera operators reflected in 3PO's head in a few scenes. Naboo Tech's the most generic guy I've ever seen Hasbro do which is really saying something, if it weren't for the aurebesh on his helmet it wouldn't be hard to believe he's a crewmember who accidentally wandered onto the screen.

I don't follow the logic here. A figure that we didn't want doesn't sell, so they conclude that figures we do want won't sell either? :confused:Here's how it'd work, Hasbro looks at him and says "I don't get any of the Star Wars guys, yet collectors want all these background guys. But he didn't sell, so collectors must not want background guys anymore." They may not take into account the fact that he's boring and nobody ever wanted to see this figure.

I think all they would have to do is repaint him, change the helmet and give him a cloak. Actually, even simpler would be to just take his articulated legs and put them on Ric Olie and add a cloak. Maybe they could also repaint him and release him as a Yavin base flight tech or something.If you don't mind the fact that the inner jacket is different, the under-tunic is different, the pants are different, the boots are different, and the gloves are different, sure.

stad
08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
The difference there is that they are all aliens, and this guy is just a regular generic human, too boring to even be in the GI Joe line.

I disagree, the Imperial Officer costumes feature prominently in the OT and are seen on many noteworthy characters. The Death Star Scanning Tech was a scene in ANH with some small significance, and lots of people actually requested that figure even though he was minor, and Hasbro only put him out as an afterthought. Nobody asked for this Naboo figure, and he's not in a scene of any importance. I don't see how you can say he's Star Warsy by association enough to warrant a figure, the soldiers and pilots you cite are background extras, not the greatest of connections, might as well use that argument for figures of the camera operators reflected in 3PO's head in a few scenes. Naboo Tech's the most generic guy I've ever seen Hasbro do which is really saying something, if it weren't for the aurebesh on his helmet it wouldn't be hard to believe he's a crewmember who accidentally wandered onto the screen.

Here's how it'd work, Hasbro looks at him and says "I don't get any of the Star Wars guys, yet collectors want all these background guys. But he didn't sell, so collectors must not want background guys anymore." They may not take into account the fact that he's boring and nobody ever wanted to see this figure.

If you don't mind the fact that the inner jacket is different, the under-tunic is different, the pants are different, the boots are different, and the gloves are different, sure.

I thought you wanted the ICMG? This entire post can be applied as reasons not to make the Willrow Hood. I agree, the Naboo Tech is a pretty dumb figure, but it's too late to do anything about it, other than not buy it. But it isn't any dumber or boring than ICMG.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Here's how it'd work, Hasbro looks at him and says "I don't get any of the Star Wars guys, yet collectors want all these background guys. But he didn't sell, so collectors must not want background guys anymore." They may not take into account the fact that he's boring and nobody ever wanted to see this figure.If no one was requesting this figure, then I don't see how they would come to that conclusion, especially if they read the negative comments about him and the reasoning behind them. As far as pegwarming goes, a lot of it will depend on how he is packed and how widely available the wave is. Since he is a generic army builder type, those that want him will probably get at least two. Since this is a wave occuring later in the year, it might be one of those waves that doesn't get much circulation. Thus there may not be enough figures around to peg-warm.

I'll agree, not the most exciting figure and it wasn't high on anyone's wish list, but it is a new figure of a character that was in the movie in two different scenes. Someday when we get our Naboo pilot and repacks of the previous two Naboo soldiers, then we can have a complete scene for the diorama builders.

Tycho
08-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Come to think of it, I'll probably buy a handful of these Naboo guys for my scenes:

- Naboo Royal Starship crew (x2 since I have 2 Royal Starships to crew)
- Meeting between Padme and Boss Nass at Gungan Sacred Place
- Crewman with Naboo when Valorum meets the starship passengers with Palpatine
- Dude in the middle of the street war with the Trade Federation droids in Theed (x2-3?)
- Dude caught up in the Theed hanger battle
-Dude on landing platform in AOTC when Zam Wessel takes her first shot at Pilot Padme

That's 8 of these guys I might buy already. I don't have my "scene inventory lists" here with me (I left them in my storage where I've been working on said inventory) but with those I can further define all the use I'll end up having for this figure.

In the end, I never asked for him, never wanted him, but I'll make use of him and keep some pegs clear of him in San Diego.

I'll blink and $50 or more will be missing, I'll have a pile of this guy's action figures, and I'll say "whatever."

Perhaps since he's new I'll be less bored in getting him than in buying more 501st Clones?

JediTricks
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I thought you wanted the ICMG? This entire post can be applied as reasons not to make the Willrow Hood. I agree, the Naboo Tech is a pretty dumb figure, but it's too late to do anything about it, other than not buy it. But it isn't any dumber or boring than ICMG.Not at all, my point was that ICMG is no more ridiculous a character than this Naboo Tech but Hasbro was treating him as more ridiculous. In fact, ICMG is a better candidate in that there is already a group of people interested in this figure and there's a lot of hype about the guy while there's neither with Naboo Tech. But the bottom line was that Hasbro really has no cause to act like ICMG or Yarna are impossible figure candidates when they put out figures like Naboo Tech.

If no one was requesting this figure, then I don't see how they would come to that conclusion, especially if they read the negative comments about him and the reasoning behind them.That assumes they weigh that information with any significance, which I doubt they will. My argument was that they don't consider what people were and weren't asking for.

As far as pegwarming goes, a lot of it will depend on how he is packed and how widely available the wave is. Since he is a generic army builder type, those that want him will probably get at least two. Since this is a wave occuring later in the year, it might be one of those waves that doesn't get much circulation. Thus there may not be enough figures around to peg-warm.Army builder? That seems pretty generous, his name may be "Naboo Soldier" but we all know he's really just a background tech guy.

I'll agree, not the most exciting figure and it wasn't high on anyone's wish list, but it is a new figure of a character that was in the movie in two different scenes."Wasn't high on anyone's wish list"? Come on now, he wasn't on anyone's wish list at all. And for good reason, nobody remembers him, nobody recognizes him, you have to go check the DVD just to find him in the background.

Blue2th
08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll blink and $50 or more will be missing, I'll have a pile of this guy's action figures, and I'll say "whatever."

Perhaps since he's new I'll be less bored in getting him than in buying more 501st Clones?
I've been blinking alot latelylol though I left a 501st on the pegs today at Target and said to myself "damit I'll let somebody else have one for a change":laugh:

stad
08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
"Wasn't high on anyone's wish list"? Come on now, he wasn't on anyone's wish list at all. And for good reason, nobody remembers him, nobody recognizes him, you have to go check the DVD just to find him in the background.

Well, if it wasn't for the jokester internet campaign for ICMG, I wouldn't know who the heck he is either. In fact, I still haven't gone back to the DVD and looked for him (in the background), that's how little interest he holds. Other than a few vociferous people, I don't believe he really is on any wish lists, and as you said, for good reason. If it wasn't for the internet joke, nobody would remember him, nobody would recognize him, and you would have to check the DVD to find him in the background. I don't think there is a lot of genuine hype about this character, it is a tired, overblown joke, and Hasbro should treat him like a joke.

Yarna is, of course, another story.

Tycho
08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
He is Wilrow Hood - a Long Time Ago, Before There Was Ben Or Jerry...:D

figrin bran
08-10-2006, 12:16 AM
how about if they just make Wilrow's ice cream maker? move over ez bake over and snoopy sno cone machine, wilrow's in town!

Tycho
08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
how about if they just make Wilrow's ice cream maker? move over ez bake over and snoopy sno cone machine, wilrow's in town!

I think that sounds like a project for Master Replicas!

figrin bran
08-10-2006, 01:06 AM
i'll be sure to mention it the next time there's a MR Trivia Time with Amy!

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Do you think we'll get Wilrow in the Unleashed line?

Tycho
08-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Do you think we'll get Wilrow in the Unleashed line?

It would make a great Unleashed effect for him to have Ice Cream swirling all around him as he was running! It might be quite colorful too if they made the ice cream spimoni or neopolitan!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2006, 10:05 PM
How about a look of horror on his face as he spills ice cream all over the floor?

Qui-Long Gone
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I suppose there should be an Unleashed Yarna too....but who wants to be the guy who sculpts six breasts flooping in a dozen directions.....

Sorry for the mental picutre......:twisted:

Darth Cruel
08-13-2006, 08:20 AM
4) The real killer is that if this nothing figure doesn't sell because he's boring as hell and nobody asked for him to be made, Hasbro will see this as another strike against Yarna and ICMG and a lot of other more-worthy figures.

We can only hope. I would like to see an accurate representation of the ratio of people who do/do not support each of these figures individually. And it makes me wonder what the number of collectors (of 3 3/4" Star Wars action figures specifically) is world-wide. Any body daring enough to venture a guess?

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2006, 02:31 PM
We can only hope. I would like to see an accurate representation of the ratio of people who do/do not support each of these figures individually. And it makes me wonder what the number of collectors (of 3 3/4" Star Wars action figures specifically) is world-wide. Any body daring enough to venture a guess?

Adding to the ratio: Yes for both figures individually....

My best guess on world-wide collectors (not including children under 36) would be 12.5 million (excluding Canadians, the French and the North Koreans who I know are major fans of all things Wookie)

Tycho
08-13-2006, 05:57 PM
and the North Koreans who I know are major fans of all things Wookie)

Why? Because their leader looks like Hasbro's Chewbacca in Snoova Disguise figure?

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I believe Hasbro still runs 50,000 units per basic figure, so that's 50,000 collectors worldwide - sounds like a lot but feels small when you think about it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, if it wasn't for the jokester internet campaign for ICMG, I wouldn't know who the heck he is either. In fact, I still haven't gone back to the DVD and looked for him (in the background), that's how little interest he holds.
However, he's quite visible in the frame as he runs in Cloud City. If you know who he is, he's easily seen; it's not like it takes a long time to look for him.

And I seriously didn't know the Naboo Soldier guy was in the film at all until I looked at the movie. I would've much rather had a pilot figure or a resculpt of the ridiculous Naboo Royal Soldier. They could've at least given the new guy a proper-scale gun; good god, that thing is still huge seven years later.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
I believe Hasbro still runs 50,000 units per basic figure, so that's 50,000 collectors worldwide - sounds like a lot but feels small when you think about it.

If that's per figure then wouldn't 50K be minimum?

Realistically I'm sure it's well around 20-50K collectors....

Blue2th
08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
I believe Hasbro still runs 50,000 units per basic figure, so that's 50,000 collectors worldwide - sounds like a lot but feels small when you think about it. I thought for sure it would be a gazzilion or more than that. That's just enough to fill a stadium. That does feel small.

JediTricks
08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
If that's per figure then wouldn't 50K be minimum?

Realistically I'm sure it's well around 20-50K collectors....Well, 50k run should assume that at least 25% of these will be made for "casual collectors" like kids and parents and such, so there's downward-play in that number.

I thought for sure it would be a gazzilion or more than that. That's just enough to fill a stadium. That does feel small.Dang, I hadn't thought of it in a "real world application" term, it *does* feel small.

dindae
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
If you really want to put it in perspective here is the the breakdown by store.

1500+ Toys R Us stores
1444 Wal-Marts
1146 Wal-Mart Supercenters
2098 Target stores
6188+ total

Thats just the US. Which makes 8 figures per store. If you count all the Kmarts, KB, Kohls, Entertainment Earths etc it is probably more like 5 or 6 per store. Kinda make you feel like to find anything at all.

stad
08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
If you really want to put it in perspective here is the the breakdown by store.

1500+ Toys R Us stores
1444 Wal-Marts
1146 Wal-Mart Supercenters
2098 Target stores
6188+ total

Thats just the US. Which makes 8 figures per store. If you count all the Kmarts, KB, Kohls, Entertainment Earths etc it is probably more like 5 or 6 per store. Kinda make you feel like to find anything at all.

That's why I think the numbers are a bit higher. I mean, the Target Exclusive Lava Vader (and the other overpriced Lava figures) were supposedly limited at 50,000. The first Lava Vader sold out pretty fast and easily, and that was just at domestic Target stores. Plus, I've seen a lot more than 5-6 of each (most) figure at each store myself, let alone what I've missed. I would guess the numbers are significantly higher, probably closer to 100K worldwide production, maybe a bit less.

Darth Cruel
08-15-2006, 10:39 AM
The collecting community seems to be a lot smaller than I was thinking.

DarthQuack
08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I always thought it was pretty big too, with how fast some things sell out, unless it's mostly scalpers.

dindae
08-15-2006, 12:15 PM
That's why I think the numbers are a bit higher. I mean, the Target Exclusive Lava Vader (and the other overpriced Lava figures) were supposedly limited at 50,000. The first Lava Vader sold out pretty fast and easily, and that was just at domestic Target stores. Plus, I've seen a lot more than 5-6 of each (most) figure at each store myself, let alone what I've missed. I would guess the numbers are significantly higher, probably closer to 100K worldwide production, maybe a bit less.

Yeah I agree that it is probably more like 75-100K. Obviously figures that are two per case are at the higher end. But still instead of 5-6 that would be 10-12 which if you live in an area with 2 or 3 store that's only 36 figures you have a shot at assuming that it is accross the board equal distribution which is not the case.

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
The collecting community seems to be a lot smaller than I was thinking.

Probably, and one damn person keeps getting to all the good figures before I get off work.....

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 03:05 PM
That's why I think the numbers are a bit higher. I mean, the Target Exclusive Lava Vader (and the other overpriced Lava figures) were supposedly limited at 50,000. The first Lava Vader sold out pretty fast and easily, and that was just at domestic Target stores. Plus, I've seen a lot more than 5-6 of each (most) figure at each store myself, let alone what I've missed. I would guess the numbers are significantly higher, probably closer to 100K worldwide production, maybe a bit less.There were 2 runs of Lava Vader for a total of 20k I believe, that 50k number is definitely not what I heard.

Keep in mind that distribution isn't even, some stores will get 5 cases while others will get just 2.

dindae
08-16-2006, 07:23 AM
There were 2 runs of Lava Vader for a total of 20k I believe, that 50k number is definitely not what I heard.

Keep in mind that distribution isn't even, some stores will get 5 cases while others will get just 2.

It was definately 50,000 for Lava Vader. It even says it on the package.

http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS05vaderlava.asp

El Chuxter
08-16-2006, 07:34 AM
That doesn't mean it is an accurate number. :)

JediTricks
08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
It was definately 50,000 for Lava Vader. It even says it on the package.

http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS05vaderlava.aspOh yeah, ok, thanks for reminding me, I didn't try to get one so I had forgotten. They didn't release them all at once, Target stores only got a fraction of them in for the first wave and the second wave took a while, I remember hearing the first number was like 15k and that's where I got that from.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, ok, thanks for reminding me, I didn't try to get one so I had forgotten. They didn't release them all at once, Target stores only got a fraction of them in for the first wave and the second wave took a while, I remember hearing the first number was like 15k and that's where I got that from.

I don't think many got one, so probably the entire 50k was picked up by two or three people....

TheDarthVader
08-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I remember that day. I arrived at Target at around 5 am to wait in line. Then someone came out and told us (those who were waiting, about 6 people) that they did not have ANY lava vaders. She said that there was a picking error at the warehouse. Needless to say, I didn't get one. :( Luckily, a forum member traded with me, and now the figure is mine! I know one thing: that lava vader figures is pretty darn scarce.

JEDIpartner
09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
eBay!!!!!! :D

;)

oh, and... YARNA! YARNA! YARNA!!!!

Jargo
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
I found a listing of all Claire Davenport's work the other day. She did a heckuva lot of varied and interesting work really. Considering there wasn't/isn't much call for very large laydees in the tv and film industry.

I also noted while leafing through the worlds of star wars book that in the Jabba's palace section where it shows the throne room it has a prominent placing of yarna listed as a mere dancer. not a six breasted lady of ill repute and dubious morals. I'd be interested to read any costume notes from the LFL archives regarding the breast issue and whether or not it was in fact just a cut away top showing off her belly. After all these years and a really dodgey EU short story i think the whole issue should be put to bed.

2-1B
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Me too, I lose sleep at night wondering about it. :(

Jargo
09-24-2006, 06:55 AM
lol lol lol lol lol lol silly.