PDA

View Full Version : Any changes?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-26-2002, 04:39 PM
What can Topps do to stimulate interest in the new AOTC cards? I think a return to simple would be the best thing to do. No special chase cards included as part of the set. No extra effects. Just high quality photos and decent text. Widevision style is fine with me, but the 2" X 3" cards are cool, too. I'd also like a lower price, but I am a realist.

Other ideas?

Rollo Tomassi
01-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Cards are dead.

JediTricks
01-28-2002, 01:16 AM
I think a return to simple cards with high-quality pics is the way to go, as is a MAJOR price drop. Cards are such a rip-off these days and they're way too gimmicky. The only gimmick I've enjoyed in the past 20 years is widevision.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Cards are dead.
I said "changes," Rollo. I know they're dead, but how should they become un-dead.

When I say "dodo," "chivalry," or "Elvis," you shouldn't also think "trading cards." :rolleyes:

And another gripe of mine, putting "exclusive" WOTC cards into new AOTC toys isn't fresh to me, nor will it make me want to buy more toys to get them. :mad:

Rollo Tomassi
01-28-2002, 06:04 PM
In order to make cards interesting again they should:

Have ONE "rarity" value. This was the big drawback for the Decipher line for me. Even if you're gonna have plain cards and nifty ultra foil super nifty deluxe holo cards in with the regular ones, don't make them into these mythical MacGuffins that you heard a guy that knew this guy from New Jersey who had a cousin in Ohio who talked to a guy on line that had the ultra rare super nifty foil of Darth Vader in the alternate pose. The idea of collecting the cards is (for me at least) getting a complete set. And having fun doing it. I do not need an ulcer wondering if I'm going to get the complete set because 1 in 50,000 packs has the card I want. That's not "fun" card collecting...that's slow torture from the manufacturer...

More cards in a pack. 3 cards is not a pack. 8 is not much of an improvement. 15 cards in a pack is splendid.

Keep your pricing reasonable. There is not a HUGE market for trading cards, so don't expect us to be overjoyed for a $4.00 pack..especially (see above) if it's only got three cards in it. I have other higher priorities that I give more dollar value to than cards in a pack.

Don't take liscenses away from cool companies and give it to money grubbing scroungers and bottom feeders just because they've got the rights to your "Fan Magazine" which they are simply digging a grave for with their greedy corporate mentality.

Do all this and I still won't buy cards because they have gone the way of the dodo, chivalry, and Elvis. Fleer, Topps, Skybox...their time has passed and they are all headed to that great recycling bin in the sky. I give 'em less than ten years. One of them may survive because of the nostalgia attached to baseball cards, but overall it's over for them.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Wow.

I didn't know it was so bad out there. I didn't feel that badly about them, aside for the price-for-the-number-per-pack lament.

Suggestions:
- pack of 10 cards for $2.99
- mail-away "rare" cards, not in packs, requiring 10 wrappers
- win a free "rare" card inserts in packs
- gum IN A SEALED PLASTIC HOLDER, for nostalgia's sake
- Topps keeps the license, for loyalty sake

Emperor Howdy
02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't even collect the cards, but........:eek:.........

I wouldn't say cards are "dead".....it just takes a jumpstart to get 'em going each time. Like Pokemon.....whoever had that license made some jack on that deal. I mean, just 'cause I think they're dumb, doesn't mean there's not a kid next door who gets mom to buy 'em all the time. I bet there will be a market when AOTC comes out..........

2-1B
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
So what do you think now?
Was Topps successful in stimulating interest in their AOTC line?
They certainly decided to use the gimmicks of rare chase cards, and while I managed to find them, I really had to work hard for them. Too hard . . . but I partly brought it upon myself, because I went into AOTC saying that once I completed the 100 card set, I would finish and just be happy with any chase cards I had.
Well, after I secured all 100, I was fairly close to a full chase set, and caved in because I then wanted to finish the whole thing. :rolleyes:

But chase cards aren't really motivation for me to buy, like Rollo said I too am in it for a set, I don't need Topps to offer rare stuff.
I'd rather they expand the set by 2 dozen cards, eliminating the chase cards and just offer each card at the same ratio.
Thus I'd have a set with a larger scope of the film, without mirrors and other gadgets that just represent the main characters.
:)