PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse Comic 2-Packs painted like comics

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 03:11 PM
While I certainly understand the concept of what they're doing, I don't know about the execution. Basically, they're painting these figures as if they were IN the comics themselves, with all the crazy blue shadowing and other unusual bold colors that may work as style on the page but less so on an action figure - it reminds me a little of the Kenner Droids figures. The blue on Vader looks pretty bad to me, but Chewie's face looks downright embarassing, he looks like just been made over at a slumber party by a gang of 9-year-old girls. Maybe these will turn out better than they look in photos, but I remain skeptical...

Vader & Rebel:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18808&cat=4887
http://www.starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/20060718_picview_hasbro/img/39.jpg

Chewie & Han: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18810&cat=4887
http://www.starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/20060718_picview_hasbro/img/40.jpg

Tarkin & Stormtrooper:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18803&cat=4887
http://www.starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/20060718_picview_hasbro/img/41.jpg

Devo
07-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I think its a bit stupid and rather questionable that the first ever decent Han Solo as Stormtrooper is given this paintjob. I assume a normal repaint will follow but why make this the first one out? Give us a normal Han Stormtrooper now for gods sake. And Luke while you're at it.

The other figures aren't even worth commenting on. All I can say is 'why?...no wait I don't care why - just don't do it again'.

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 04:11 PM
That's a good point, we've been asking for a decent Han Stormtrooper for how long now? And this is their response???

bigbarada
07-22-2006, 04:24 PM
I was so hoping that these photos were just another "April Fools" joke.:sad:

Maybe someone at the top level of Hasbro has a wager to see just how many bad ideas it will take to kill off Star Wars collecting forever.

Again, I'm having horrible flashbacks of GI Joe: Tiger Force.

LTBasker
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
At first I thought those were prototypes for some OT 2-packs, then I found out these were "comic" versions. I can't believe they're actually going to make these as they're truly pointless. They're not depicting anything pivotal and 5 out 6 are just rehashes. They should just scrap the idea and release the Han with a normal paintjob along with Luke.

Jargo
07-22-2006, 04:35 PM
not to mention that they look truly awful with those bad bad paint apps. maybe if they'd been new sculpts also in the style of the comics then it might have worked but as it's more realistic figures it looks really odd. and uncomfortable.
Obviously as we've seen with the clonetroopers hasbro has latched onto using diferent paint apps to help sell more units of the same old same old. Some I will admit work out quite nicely but for every nice one there's ten bad ones.
this feels to me like someone let the monkey pick the concepts again.

pegger
07-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm just glad that these EU figs look so horrible that I can safely skip them.

Slicker
07-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Surprisingly these aren't that bad. They are EU but they're OT EU...if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Much like everyone else I'm upset about the Han Stormie although it looks like you can use a normal Stormie helmet to put on him...like the one from the Lucastrooper.

Devo
07-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah but the body looks like it has some kind of blue shading on it. Its not just the helmet. So its still not salvagable.

What a crap idea. I mean did anyone actually ask for this? If so why were they listened to? Seriously, the crap Hasbro spends money on when they refuse to make Yarna or create new vehicle moulds. Circus colour Star Wars figures as someone else aptly put it. Whatever next.

Slicker
07-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah but the body looks like it has some kind of blue shading on it. Its not just the helmet. So its still not salvagable.
Ahhh...ok. I thought that was just the lighting for the slideshow. It's still a decent looking figure and if you wanted one bad enough you could always repaint it.

DarkArtist
07-22-2006, 06:34 PM
The Han Stormie didn't look all too bad, Comm tech body with the visor eyes colored in red instead of black. I actually like the look of the Tarkin and Rebel Trooper figures. It can kind of be like a character from another part of the galaxy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't think they're that bad. Just somethin' different to mix it up a bit. But I do hope that future waves (Quinlan Vos, etc.) will be more realistic.

I hope Han is just plain white and not shadowy blue.

jedi master sal
07-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, we KNOW they (Hasbro) will just come out with the Han in correct colors later, so don't worry about it now. Tarkin looks more like a member of Hydra, than an Imperial officer.

I'm going to pass on all of those shown.

And I sincerely hope hasbro doesn't f..muck up the paint job on Quinlan and Villie. Again though, if they do, they know they'll hear the public outcry and will suddenly reissue them in correct colors.

It's obvious that Hasbro is screwing around with SW fans. Some of the things they've shown have been cool, but there's an alarming amount of stuff that's no less than craptastic. It makes you wonder if they are TYRING to kill the line. (No of course it doesn't make business sense, but switching up too many things like this hasn't worked to well. (Force Battlers, Choppers, etc) Well at least they are keeping these mostly to 3 3/4 figs and Galactic Heroes.

JediTricks
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I hope Han is just plain white and not shadowy blue.These figures are meant to be pulled from the look of the comics complete with forced shadowing and other comic tricks, that's what all the other crazy paint jobs are about on these, so Han will be painted blue like that - look at Vader, there's no way that's from photoshop work.

Jargo
07-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Quinlan and Villie is the only set I'm interested in. and if the figures are meant to represent the comics then they should end up fitting with the regular line. hopefully they won't be single pose figures.

kool-aid killer
07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Im going to be passing on these guys with ease. The color on Tarkin and the Rebel dont appeal to me. Thankfully, these will be some of the things from SDCC that i wont feel obligated to buy.

trandoshan666
07-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I actually like the way they look, and plan on buying all of them.

TheRealDubya
07-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I really like 'em and will buy the whole lot. I loved the animated style Clone Wars though too -- if these were single carded, I'd like them even more. I think we will get a "normal" Han Stormie soon enough, and the Tarkin will be in the Death Star Conference pack. But yeah, I think they're cool and different, and a nice tribute to the old Marvel comics style. I think Hasbro was really trying to do right by the fans on this one.

Droid
07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Figures from the comics isn't the WORST idea I've ever heard, though it is still pretty terrible. But why not figures like that green rabbit people talk about? Or why not cantina aliens or other characters from the movie sculpted realistically and pack in the issue of the comic they were featured in?

Having them painted like the comic book is stupid beyond comprehension.

I always used to watch Star Wars on low quality VHS tapes. Maybe they should release figures that appear fuzzy.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
It's a great concept but... I'd honestly rather have a new Han Solo in Stormtrooper armour without the oddball deco. *shrug*

Dark Marble
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
It is interesting that they are going with these "comic" characters at all. What will be more interesting is to see if these figures tank and we don't get anything from the comics any more because they were "such poor sellers."

InsaneJediGirl
07-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I'll probably get the Vader/Rebel and Han/Chewie,since they look okay. I'm hoping the Quinlan and other sets look better,because those are the ones I'm really excited about.

AmanaMatt
07-25-2006, 03:43 PM
This may be the worst concept that Hasbro has done with the Star Wars line since they brought it back in 1995....they look like garbage. The end of the year will have a lot of product that will clog the shelves badly.

BoShek
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I am not too happy with the looks of these three sets ... but I will be getting all of them.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
It can kind of be like a character from another part of the galaxy.

You mean, like, Bizarro World???? :laugh:

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
"mE AM BE BIZARRO dARTH vADER. mE AM NASTY AND NOT CRY LIKE BABY, BUT ME AM VERY NICE GUY."

Mad Slanted Powers
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, they made Clone Wars figures that looked like the cartoon. I didn't buy those, but I will probably be buying these. I guess one difference is that we already had realistic Clone Wars figures before the animated ones were released. Also, I didn't like the style of the Clone Wars cartoon, but the comic versions might be interesting.

DarkArtist
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Since it is also rumored to have another two of Luke and R2 I wonder if the Vader's lightsaber will be included. The reason for this is that in the old Marvel comic adaption of Star Wars the lightsaber blades for Obi Wan and Luke were red and sometimes white, and Vader's was I believe blue in the ESB adaption

Another set could also be an Princess Leia with C-3PO or perhaps a Obi Wan with a Cantina patron.

I like many others also hope that the Quilon Vos in also done in a more realistic way like the current figures on the market today.

bigbarada
07-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Now that I see the actual comics panels that these figures are based on, I'm not as annoyed by these sets. I still don't think I'll buy any of them, except for the Han Stormie set.

I'm still kind of holding out that the blue glow is some kind of photographic lighting trick, like the lighting they use for the card photos on the 7" Unleashed figures, and not actually painted on. I don't really see how Hasbro can do this on a mass scale without us just ending up with a sky blue Stormtrooper.

Turbowars
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I think Vader and the Stormies look pretty cool, but I'm not sold on the others. All I know is I can't wait for the 8 Concept figures!

Darth Cruel
07-26-2006, 07:00 AM
I have always been a proponent of varieties of concepts and characters being released so I will be happy to pick up one of each of these. But I have to admit that I find these to be teatering over the precipice of ridiculous.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Now that I see the actual comics panels that these figures are based on, I'm not as annoyed by these sets. I still don't think I'll buy any of them, except for the Han Stormie set.

I'm still kind of holding out that the blue glow is some kind of photographic lighting trick, like the lighting they use for the card photos on the 7" Unleashed figures, and not actually painted on. I don't really see how Hasbro can do this on a mass scale without us just ending up with a sky blue Stormtrooper.You saw the panels of Vader and don't question his blue, yet with the Stormies who have the exact same shadowing in their scans you do? http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Detailed_Look_At_2007s_Comic_Book_2Packs_99475.asp
That's what they used in the comics, it's on Hasbro's shots of Vader, the Stormie and Han Stormie, I strongly believe it'll be there on the actual toy. You can see on Han that the paint ends right at the separation line on his right shin, there are other separation lines where there are no parts, that's definitely paint and not photoshop or a lighting trick.

bigbarada
07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
You saw the panels of Vader and don't question his blue, yet with the Stormies who have the exact same shadowing in their scans you do? http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Detailed_Look_At_2007s_Comic_Book_2Packs_99475.asp
That's what they used in the comics, it's on Hasbro's shots of Vader, the Stormie and Han Stormie, I strongly believe it'll be there on the actual toy. You can see on Han that the paint ends right at the separation line on his right shin, there are other separation lines where there are no parts, that's definitely paint and not photoshop or a lighting trick.

Yeah, you're right, it's painted on.:sad:

What I really want, however, is those lavender Stormtroopers standing in the background of the picture where Vader is choking Cpt. Antilles. Those would be awesome!:thumbsup:

:laugh:

Did anyone actually ask for this? No really, I want to know so I can drive out to their house and shoot out their porch light.

Darth Cruel
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
If the reference panels came from Marvel Comics, why are they being called Dark Horse Comics Two-Packs? Was there a merger that I slept through?

pbarnard
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
If the reference panels came from Marvel Comics, why are they being called Dark Horse Comics Two-Packs? Was there a merger that I slept through?
Because Dark Horse holds the rights to all Star Wars Comics past and present.

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
What I really want, however, is those lavender Stormtroopers standing in the background of the picture where Vader is choking Cpt. Antilles. Those would be awesome!:thumbsup: :laugh:OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Did anyone actually ask for this? No really, I want to know so I can drive out to their house and shoot out their porch light.Hell no! I have no clue where Hasbro got the idea this was a good idea, except for perhaps my comments about the Kenner Droids figures. And look at Tarkin, the Marvel comic was nowhere near as extreme as what Hasbro has done. Shame shame, know your name!!!

If the reference panels came from Marvel Comics, why are they being called Dark Horse Comics Two-Packs? Was there a merger that I slept through?That's a good question, my only guess is that Dark Horse has the reprint rights to the SW Marvel books... I should really read 1 post past the stuff I'm quoting before I bother to reply. :p

jedimaster_eric
07-31-2006, 01:45 AM
I dont think they look that bad. Hasbro has to keep things going. As much as they like to give us re-packs/paints , I think it could be intresting if they do it ONCE & not new ones every so often. Someone said that it reminded them of G.I. Joe :Tiger Force...Thats is so right on!

pbarnard
08-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I dont think they look that bad. Hasbro has to keep things going. As much as they like to give us re-packs/paints , I think it could be intresting if they do it ONCE & not new ones every so often. Someone said that it reminded them of G.I. Joe :Tiger Force...Thats is so right on!

Well the GI Joe comic packs had some odd color choices in them but they also were true to the comics; at least it is consitancy.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2006, 06:48 PM
They're killing me....VOTC stormtrooper with VOTC Han's head and they paint the freaking red eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just have to keep his helmet off....

mastermatt24
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Why dont you guys just paint over the crap paint? I dont know how bad these are, but you might even be able to do a little paint remover job.

JediTricks
08-04-2006, 02:35 PM
They're killing me....VOTC stormtrooper with VOTC Han's head and they paint the freaking red eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just have to keep his helmet off....But his armor will still be half blue.

Why dont you guys just paint over the crap paint? I dont know how bad these are, but you might even be able to do a little paint remover job.OVER it? The whole Darth Vader is covered in blue paint, both stormtroopers have half their bodies painted blue, Chewie's got that tan face, Tarkin is all green and yellow - it'd take a lot of paint and/or paint remover to fix these gaffes.

DarthQuack
08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I just can't see myself buying into these at all, just not that appealing.

Qui-Long Gone
08-05-2006, 09:16 AM
[quote=JediTricks]But his armor will still be half blue.

Are you kidding me?

Droid
08-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Explain this Q&A on yakface:

4) With the way Hasbro is doing the comic book 2 packs from Marvel and Dark Horse. Wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity to re-issue the vintage Droids and Ewoks series of figures in this form too? Demand is definitely there for them! - Zak

The comic packs, like all of the figures slated for '07, are designed in the realistic style. We do not have plans to go back to the cartoon style of Droids or Ewoks.

SO ARE THE PROTYPES NOT FINALIZED YET AND WILL BE REALISTIC WHEN RELEASED OR IS THIS ANSWER JUST WRONG?

pbarnard
08-05-2006, 11:34 AM
SO ARE THE PROTYPES NOT FINALIZED YET AND WILL BE REALISTIC WHEN RELEASED OR IS THIS ANSWER JUST WRONG?

Depends on your point of view. Look at what Hasbro did with the GI Joe comic packs. They kept the same "realistic" sculpts but went with the coloring based on the comic art. So sculpt "real", colors "comic".

mastermatt24
08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
OVER it? The whole Darth Vader is covered in blue paint, both stormtroopers have half their bodies painted blue, Chewie's got that tan face, Tarkin is all green and yellow - it'd take a lot of paint and/or paint remover to fix these gaffes.

Come on- I meant UNDER it!

seriously..its not like figures take a lot of paint. (just skillz ;) )

OR you could just save your time and not buy them. :yes:

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 05:55 PM
But his armor will still be half blue.Are you kidding me?I only wish I was kidding. No, that's the concept, they will be painted like they were ripped from the comic pages, crazy shading and all.

Come on- I meant UNDER it!No you didn't, you said "Why dont you guys just paint over the crap paint?" There's no way "under" would fit there. :D

seriously..its not like figures take a lot of paint. (just skillz ;) )Which I don't have. :p

OR you could just save your time and not buy them. :yes:Sucks if you want regular Han Stormtrooper though.

To confirm for the doubters that these have the crazy half-blue comic paint jobs, this from Hasbro:

GalacticHunter.com: Will the Han Solo (Stormtrooper) and Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper) figures from the Comic Book Asst. be released in non-comic coloring down the road?

Hasbro: No plans right now.

Blue2th
08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I think it's a great idea. Though Tarkin is a little too green than the olive outfit in the comic. You can't tell from the pic. but I saw him at the con. I don't think Hasbro would tell us if they were going to re-release Han in Stormtrooper outfit, before they even release the comic one.

mastermatt24
08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Sucks if you want regular Han Stormtrooper though.

yea well..

toonimator
08-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Goof-Off is your friend. Lots of people turned the TSC Sandtroopers into beautiful regular Stormtroopers with a few swabs of Goof-Off and a damn paper towel or rag to wipe off the excess... and maybe a small paintbrush & some black paint to touch up any detail accidentally undone.

I did it with one, doesn't take very long at all! It'll probably run about the same time for the Han & Luke Stormies.

I think the comic-coloring is only for the Marvel sets, to give the movie-figures a bit of something unique to tie 'em to the comic adaptations. With the quality of modern comic coloring, there's no reason for the Dark Horse sets to have 4-color-style paint jobs.

Turbowars
08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Goof-Off is your friend. Lots of people turned the TSC Sandtroopers into beautiful regular Stormtroopers with a few swabs of Goof-Off and a damn paper towel or rag to wipe off the excess... and maybe a small paintbrush & some black paint to touch up any detail accidentally undone.

I did it with one, doesn't take very long at all! It'll probably run about the same time for the Han & Luke Stormies.

I think the comic-coloring is only for the Marvel sets, to give the movie-figures a bit of something unique to tie 'em to the comic adaptations. With the quality of modern comic coloring, there's no reason for the Dark Horse sets to have 4-color-style paint jobs.Does that paint come off the Mud Evolution Sandtroopers as well?

toonimator
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes it does... but that'll take a bit longer ;) The fumes of Goof-Off were gettin to me by the time I started on the muddy one, so I didn't make much headway. One thing with the belt of the Evolution Sandtroopers - they're black plastic painted white (then dirty), so it might be easier to just paint white over the mud than bother with the Goof-Off for 'em. Keep the black paint handy with the muddy troopers, I've a feeling more detail work may be needed there as you try to get all the mud off.

Don't use too much Goof-Off either, or it'll eat away at the plastic; I've got a couple slightly rough patches on a Sandtrooper torso thanks to overdoing it a bit. Keep a damp rag handy, and use things like Q-tips, cotton balls, and an old toothbrush to apply the Goof-Off.

Gently scraping with an Xacto blade's also a good way to get rid of unwanted paint and tough areas, just be aware you may scratch up the figure.

Darth Cruel
08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
The fumes of Goof-Off were gettin to me by the time I started on the muddy one, so I didn't make much headway.

Don't use too much Goof-Off either, or it'll eat away at the plastic; I've got a couple slightly rough patches on a Sandtrooper torso thanks to overdoing it a bit. Keep a damp rag handy, and use things like Q-tips, cotton balls, and an old toothbrush to apply the Goof-Off.

These are reasons I tout Easy Lift Off. No sickening fumes and no damage to plastic. Just paint removal. And I will be doing the removal. I can't finally get a SA Stormtrooper Han and have him look like a stinking cartoon. I may even delve into painting and correct his lenses.

DarkArtist
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
I would also love to see a Star Wars "Union" two pack with Mara Jade in Wedding Dress and Luke Skywalker in Wedding Tux, another Crimsion Empire two pack with Kenix Kell and Nom Anor, as well as other comic characters such as:

Shira Brie
Sadeet
Mirth Sinn
maybe a Luke Skywalker in TIE Pilot outfit
Baron Soontiner Fel

and maybe even some game figures like:

Rookie One (both female and male verisons)
Kyle Katarn
Jan Ors
Rahn
Jeric
Yun
Sariss
Boc the Crude
Maw
Gorc and Pic
Mara Jade (from Mysteries of the Sith)
Knights of the Old Republic Figures (We need these since we are getting Darth Reven)

I can think of others but right now my mind is having a brain fart.

SirSteve
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Wave 1 pictures just added:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=351

Slicker
09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Wave 1 pictures just added:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=351I hope I'm not alone in saying that these are pretty sweet. They remind me alot (and for obvious reasons) of the SOTE 2 packs from the POTF2 days.

The one thing that I don't like is that they're giving us a Han Stormie but in the wrong colors.:stupid:

pegger
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I hope I'm not alone in saying that these are pretty sweet. They remind me alot (and for obvious reasons) of the SOTE 2 packs from the POTF2 days.

The one thing that I don't like is that they're giving us a Han Stormie but in the wrong colors.:stupid:

Personally, I think they are carp. I am happy I can skip these.

Jargo
09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
For those that like this sort of thing. It is exactly the sort of thing they will like.

Personally the only one I'd buy if I really had nothing better to do with my cash, is the vader and rebel trroper one. but only for the trooper. And I'd be pretending very hard that he was a covert operations trooper or something. Forest trooper or whatever. But it is unlikely I'd ever buy any of these. I think it's a bizare concept and even more bizarre in execution. I could think of many many other more creative and inspired ways to liven up the line than this. Yet the saddest thing about these is that in years to come they'll be the oddities that garner the most cash. The truly bizarre and odd stuff is always far more colectible and percieved as more valuable in the years after they cease to be produced.

for the speculative collector these are I would say a boon.

El Chuxter
09-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the Trooper looks fairly cool, I suppose. The Vader is horrid, though.

I could see getting the others for A) a decent Tarkin resculpt, even if in the wrong colors, B) some kind of Elite Stormtroopers, and C) another generic Wookiee. I'm not too sure about them, though. It'll depend on how much they are and what mood I'm in when (and if) I see them. I'm leaning toward no on all three.

DarkArtist
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I love the look of these, can't wait to see them up close. Chewie is pretty horrible but put him in the background of the cantina or something. At least the Han Stromtrooper is a VOTC mold.

TheRealDubya
09-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I love 'em too. I think they look great packaged -- kids will love them.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Yes, I think they look good in the package. Maybe I will get a set to keep in the package. Some of the figures do look kind of goofy, Chewbacca in particular, but they make a nice subset of display items.

JEDIpartner
09-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Now I'm really wishing for a new Han and Luke in Stromie gear.

dindae
09-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I like these for what they are. They capture the comics well. I don't look at them as regular figure but in the group of convention/promo figures like the Holiday figures, silver figures, and such. If I think about the cash to enjoyment ratio I think these will far exceed most of those. I expect these to be $12-$15 which is the same I paid for most of the rest of those gimick figures and I get two.

Darth Cruel
09-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice for what they are. Hideous, and morbidly so, in the big picture. However...I have always said that the more Star Wars figures, the better and I won't waffle now. I will get one of each to keep packaged and likely an extra Han/Chewy to see if I can get the blue paint off of Han. Chewbacca will be relegated to the "Make my son think it is a really cool figure that I like a lot so he will want it really bad and I can dump it on him as a reward for a good deed instead of giving him a TRULY cool figure" group of shame.

pbarnard
09-20-2006, 01:41 PM
....I will get one of each to keep packaged and likely an extra Han/Chewy to see if I can get the blue paint off of Han. ...

I don't think it'll be a matter of getting the blue paint off as much as getting the white paint on.

jedi master sal
09-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm still not going to get any of these sets. THough I like the Tarkin figure for a Marvel Hydra Leader figure.

Instead of money well spent, this will be money well saved.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I actually like these, and will get them when I see them. I also like how the comics have the 30 logo so that people won't try to sell these as the real deal. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
I actually like these, and will get them when I see them. I also like how the comics have the 30 logo so that people won't try to sell these as the real deal. :thumbsup:

Eh, it won't stop them. It didn't stop them with trying with GI Joe comic packs. The educated buyers won't fall for it, but there's no upper limit to the suckers born *checks watch* this minute.

DarthBrandon
09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Chewbacca will be relegated to the "Make my son think it is a really cool figure that I like a lot so he will want it really bad and I can dump it on him as a reward for a good deed instead of giving him a TRULY cool figure" group of shame.

That's what I do as well Darth Cruel, isn't it sad that they haven't caught on by now. lol:D

JediTricks
09-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Hasbro's paint work is even sloppier and less subtle than their prototypes, these things look bad to me. And why is the Han Stormtrooper using the VOTC body while the regular Stormie using the Commtech body?

How come Dark Horse can slap their logo on the covers and remove the Marvel logo?

How awesome is it that the words "Strike Back" appear on the 2nd set's cover? :D

I can sorta see the appeal of these on a limited basis, I won't bother buying them, but that Chewie figure is easily the worst of the bunch, looks like a Wookiee Clown.

abell748
09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
As a fan of the Marvel series, I'll pick them up if the price is right. $10-$12 is all they SHOULD charge for a bunch of odd coloured repaints. If these do find their way into the collection, I'll leave 'em carded.

Kidhuman
09-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Meh on these, the wookie looks like an Al Jolsen wannabe. Tarkin looks ok, whats up with the blue piant though?&

plasticfetish
09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
I kind of like these things really. As something that I'll keep carded (for sure), these will make a cool display item.

toonimator
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
For those wanting to modify Han's paintjob, consider this: this year & last year we got waves of repaints at year's end to help meet demand for new figures. Clones & such mostly, and some holo-figures of existing molds; most of the year's end figures are molds from that same year, as well (with a few exceptions).

My guess is that Han & Luke in Stormtrooper Gear, from these packs, will get that treatment at year's end. Hasbro KNOWS we want them. Of next year's lineup, these are EASY candidates for a 2007 repaint wave. If Hasbro doesn't do it, I'll be stupefied. While I may get the comic packs anyway, I don't plan on messing around with Han (or Luke down the line)... I'll just keep 'em with their fellow "Marvel Colors" figures.

As for why Dark Horse can eliminate the Marvel logo, I think it's simply because they hold the license now. Marvel may be mentioned in the fine-print publishing info (as it was in the Wal-Mart graphic novels) but on the cover it's gotta advertise who owns the rights as of now.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I would guess that they would be priced closer to $15, since there are two figures and a comic book in one package.

toonimator
09-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Hasbro's MSRP for this series is $9.99. The Crimson Empire pack is $19.99 largely because it's exclusive, I think. If $9.99 holds up at retail for the regular series, my guess is that's another reason the first wave(s) are all repaints or very-minor retools, to offset the lower price for a 2-pack (given that the DH figures are supposedly all-new) and deliver "EU" to a finicky market at a great price... so if the series as a whole doesn't sell well, Hasbro will know there must be reasons other than pricing.

Going back to GIJoe, however, you could get a 3-pack with comic for $9.99, and occasionally there were some new parts mixed in with the ever-changing kitbashes & repaints that go with the Joe line. The 2-packs from recent years retailed at around $7.99, yet the few single-packs went for $4.99 (the ones with the CDs) and later $5.99. So $9.99 isn't unrealistic, looking at it from that POV.

pbarnard
09-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Going back to GIJoe, however, you could get a 3-pack with comic for $9.99, and occasionally there were some new parts mixed in with the ever-changing kitbashes & repaints that go with the Joe line. The 2-packs from recent years retailed at around $7.99, yet the few single-packs went for $4.99 (the ones with the CDs) and later $5.99. So $9.99 isn't unrealistic, looking at it from that POV.

Also, GI Joe doesn't have the license fees that Star Wars does hidden in it. And as I continually mention, people questioned the color schemes of the GI Joe comic packs just like the Star Wars comic packs. The figures are accurate color wise to the pictures on the page.

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Hasbro's MSRP for this series is $9.99. The Crimson Empire pack is $19.99 largely because it's exclusive, I think.Also because that set has some new sculpting where the others don't.

Of course, GI Joe is an in-house brand that they pay no licensing fees on, and the comics actually are income FOR Hasbro whereas with SW the comics are income for Lucas instead, so those factors mitigate it some. Plus, GI Joe classic parts are generic (thus reusable and less of a budget burden) and cheaper to assemble than Star Wars.

RooJay
09-30-2006, 10:00 PM
How come Dark Horse can slap their logo on the covers and remove the Marvel logo?

If I understand correctly, Dark Horse actually paid Marvel for the reprint rights for their old Star Wars series some time back. I'm sure it helped that, since Marvel no longer held the general publishing rights for Star Wars, that they would therefore never be able to reprint their stories anyway without repurchasing the license.

DarkArtist
10-01-2006, 03:02 PM
that Chewie figure is easily the worst of the bunch, looks like a Wookiee Clown.

Clowns scare me !!!!!!!!!!! But it's true either that's Chewie in his Halloween costume or it's drag attack Chewie.:p :p

DarkArtist
10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
does anyone know when these are slated to hit the shelves ? just heard that hasbro is making plans to reveal series 2 sometime in december for an april shelf date.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2006, 08:22 PM
StarWarsShop.com has them for pre-order and it says shipping in November.

toonimator
10-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I was under the impression they weren't shipping until January, or at least that's been the talked about shelf-date for months now (with the Kir/Carnor pack being the only 'preview' of sorts). Late January also fits with their 'roughly 2 and a half months between waves' explanation from the Q&A which gave an April date for Wave 2.

dindae
10-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Well EE also has an arrival date of November so I would expect them to pop up in a few weeks in LA.

BlueSnags
11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Just got a couple of stormies in the mail from an Ebay auction. They are pretty cool!

DarkArtist
11-17-2006, 07:38 AM
I been searchning for these and looking forward to them but have had no luck. I don't want to have to go to ebay for these. Great find though, did the seller have any others up for auction ?

mtriv73
11-17-2006, 10:03 AM
There is a dealer in the U.K. (on e-bay) that has them listed as in stock. You'd pay through the nose for both the figures and shipping though. I ordered them from BBTS and they still list them as showing up in november.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Hokey smokes, they're even more blue than the preview photos suggested!

LTBasker
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
They must have the wonderful duty of handling the urinal cakes on the Death Star.

Hasbro really needs to hire extra people just to figure out shading for them.

El Chuxter
11-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I think I'm smelling something. . . . Smells like a big pass.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I forgot to add, what's with Hasbro not painting parts of Stormtroopers these days? This time around it's the belt, completely unpainted.

toonimator
11-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I been searchning for these and looking forward to them but have had no luck. I don't want to have to go to ebay for these.
That's because they've not hit retail yet. EE may say November, but they probably won't arrive in stores until December at the earliest.

Ji'dai
12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I found a lone Vader/Rebel Trooper 2-pack at TRU this morning. I'd like to see the other packs before I buy into this line, but right now I'm leaning towards passing on them. I suppose it's not a bad value getting 2 figures for $11.

toonimator
12-09-2006, 12:11 PM
If TRU's charging $11, odds are WM and Target'll have 'em for the MSRP of $9.99. That's what I'm hoping! Nice to know they're just starting to show up... maybe that means Wave 2 photos'll be out before Christmas! Can't wait to see what Quin, Villie, Obi-Wan, Alpha, and Marvel-color Luke & R2 look like (assuming Luke & R2 are in Wave 2, that is)

Mandalorian Candidat
12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
I found a lone Vader/Rebel Trooper 2-pack at TRU this morning. I'd like to see the other packs before I buy into this line, but right now I'm leaning towards passing on them. I suppose it's not a bad value getting 2 figures for $11.

Funny, I did too but I ended up buying it. I'm not surprised that Hasbro rehashed the old Saga Rebel Trooper for this set, but which Vader was repainted?

toonimator
12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Commtech ANH Vader, the one with the interrogation droid.

BlueSnags
12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Managed to snag a Vader/Rebel set yesterday - been looking everywhere for the other two sets with no luck yet. I really like the look of these figures - I hope they do more from the classic Marvel series - NEED a Jaxxon Jaxx figure...and a Valance the Hunter.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Saw Vader and the Trooper today at TRU.............yeah, really really horrible. I'll save my $$, thanks. :thumbsup:

darthscribe
12-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Ah, Jaxxon! I remember him well!

I love these figure sets...my only caveat is, wanting to keep them in the box, as the packaging is so nice (I'm a package-ripper...mint? Hell, no. I like playing...er...displaying!) I think you have to have been around in 77 to really appreciate these. It brings back memories of rainy school classrooms and excitedly getting my "Star Wars Weekly" every Wednesday...

Love the paint job on my Vader's eyes!

Ji'dai
12-12-2006, 01:27 PM
The local TRU restocked all three figure packs so I was able to get a good look at them. I did notice a discrepancy in the numbering on the cardbacks so this could be a potential error.

The comics are numbered - reprints of Star Wars issues #1, #2, #3. The small cardboard inserts inside the bubble with the logo & figure names are also numbered, corresponding with the comic. The odd thing is the cardbacks are numbered (in the upper left-hand corner) beginning with #02 (Vader & Rebel), then #03 (Stormtrooper & Tarkin), and finally #04 (Han & Chewie).

So the numbering scheme ends up looking like this:

02 Cardback: Star Wars comic #1, bubble insert #1
03 cardback: Star Wars comic #2, bubble insert #2
04 cardback: Star Wars comic #3, bubble insert #3

So why did Hasbro begin the first pack with #02 on the cardback rather than #01? Then I thought there might be an #01 cardback with alternate cover for Star Wars comic #1. But that still means there are Vader/Rebel packs with Star Wars comic #1 on #02 cardbacks.

I didn't buy them so those of you that have these in hand can check yours and verify what I'm talking about.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I think it might be because the Kir Kanos/Carnor Jax pack is No. 01. That is what is on mine.

Ji'dai
12-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Ah, that explains it. The Kanos/Jax set is packaged with Crimson Empire #6? That seems odd, why not issue #1. So that pack is a shared exclusive with EE and who, Diamond Previews?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Ah, that explains it. The Kanos/Jax set is packaged with Crimson Empire #6? That seems odd, why not issue #1. So that pack is a shared exclusive with EE and who, Diamond Previews?Star Wars Shop has it. Not sure about Diamond.

jonthejedi
12-13-2006, 04:01 AM
I got mine from Entertainment Earth. The Kir Kanos IS first with the 01 in upper left corner. I noticed the confusion yesterday with moms & holiday shoppers tearin' thru the pegs thinking they couldn't find one of four. I love Kir Kanos set...I'm on the fence about these...the attempt to capture ghoulish looking comic splash coloring on my beloved SW characters...I dunno? I wish Hasbro would have stuck to straight EU characters on this line. Any thoughts.

DarkArtist
12-13-2006, 07:36 AM
I don't know, I mean I am really looking forward to seeing these for myself but the only ones that don't excite me are the Vader and Chewie. Still I want them but haven't seen them anywhere at retail yet, not even a peg labeled for them. I would like to troop build both the rebel trooper and perhaps even Tarkin, but I'm not crazy about buying 4 Vader / Trooper sets.

BlueSnags
12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I've got four Stormies that I got loose from Ebay about a month ago and two Rebels so far. Want to get 2 more Rebels and maybe 2-4 more Stormtroopers eventually. Still haven't found the actual Tarkin/Stormie and Han/Chewie packs at retail...bummed. :cry:

Darth Cruel
12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I picked these up at TRU for 10.99 each last night. I hate them as much as I thought I would with the exception of the retro OTC body Han in Stormtrooper armor. Why does Tarkin have a Clone Trooper Blaster? I will be looking for a few of these loose to try to clean them up. And I think it will be easy to get a Luke head off of a figure with a ball-jointed head and make a Luke in Stormtrooper armor to go with it. My buddy also mentioned the head swap he showed me with the Biker Scout and the DS Gunner to make these Hans into removeable helmet Stormtroopers by using the DS Gunner's head on it as well.

toonimator
12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Ah, that explains it. The Kanos/Jax set is packaged with Crimson Empire #6? That seems odd, why not issue #1.
Issue #6 is the climactic confrontation between Kir & Carnor, as well as when we finally see Carnor with his helmet. So it makes perfect sense in that regard. All the other Dark Horse packs will feature specific issues pertaining to the characters, not necessarily the first in a particular story arc.

Darth Cruel, Tarkin has a clone blaster because it's the ROTS mold. Hasbro's stated that most accessories are tied to the figure molds and it's not 'easy' to change that in a production line. I dunno. I just hope the DS Briefing set doesn't have clone blasters for all the officers like early loose photos show.

Also, if Hasbro sticks with the pattern of 2005 & 2006, '07 should have a repaint wave or two at the end of the year and movie-deco Han & Luke in Stormtrooper outfits are natural choices (and there IS a Stormtrooper Luke coming in Wave 2 of the 2-pack line, with R2-D2. There's a page for it on Hasbro's site, but no photos yet... it'll have Star Wars #4 packed with it)

BlueSnags
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm hoping we see a Marvel SW#5 (R2 and Threepio) and SW #6 (Farmboy Luke and Princess Leia) at some point. (fingers crossed).

toonimator
12-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know that they'd redo R2 in another pack, not after including him with Stormie Luke. But a farmboy Luke does seem possible. Better to repeat him than R2. How about Leia & 3PO, Obi-Wan & Farmboy Luke, in VOTC, ROTS, OTC Spirit, and TSC sculpts respectively (all in Marvel colors naturally). Better than Statue Early Bird, Ugly VOTC, Awkward VOTC/Bland POTJ, and Puffy Shirt Hobbit VOTC (respectively again!) :)

I'm still hoping for some eclectic Marvel choices in future packs... the just-leaked and too-early-to-confirm list had some tantalizing Dark Horse hints: a Rogue Squadron 2-pack, Mara with "L" (the clone Luuke?), A'Sharad Hett (solo for now), PURGE-outfit Bultar Swan (also solo for now), Anakin "Trad" (whatever that means, also solo), Leia Jedi vs. "D" (Dark Jedi Luke most likely, if it's from Dark Empire)

BlueSnags
12-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Aaaaah, that's right - I forgot they were doing Luke and R2 in #4. You're right - Threepio/Leia and Luke/Obi-Wan would make more sense.

Now if Hasbro can come through with a Jaxxon Jaxx/Amaiza 2-pack for '07, I'll be loving life. Kick ***!

toonimator
12-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm hoping Lumiya makes it in one, and maybe a 2-pack of Rik Duel & Dani. :)

DarkArtist
01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
finally found these today. I love these guys. true they are not movie accurate and the coloring is wierd still i really like these guys. can't wait to see the other two of this set but what is going to be the final set of this movie. the original marvel adaption of Star Wars was six issues not five.

DarkArtist
01-02-2007, 08:19 AM
hey i just noticed this to, Han's a little short for a stormtrooper too. if you place the new comic Han Stormie next to the re-pack Comm Tech Comic Stormie, Han is shorter. just thought I would share.

General_Grievous
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I was thinking about buying the Han/Chewie pack and using white acrylic paint to cover the blue on Han's armor. Has anyone else done this?

Luuuuuuke
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
I was thinking about buying the Han/Chewie pack and using white acrylic paint to cover the blue on Han's armor. Has anyone else done this?

Wouldn't Goo Off or one of those paint removers work?

I have not tried, but if I get an extra Han, and that's an IF, I might try this.

bigbarada
01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Okay, we're a little slow here (the drawbacks of moving to a small midwest town) so I finally saw these up close today and..... they actualy don't annoy me nearly as much as I expected.

The Han Stormtrooper is the best of the bunch and the blue paint doesn't really bother me. I don't like the removable helmet because it's warped and misshapen (that's the biggest beef I have with removable helmets), but I didn't want to leave it on his head anyway so it's no biggie.

Chewie is terrible, absolutely terrible and, honestly, if they wanted to mimick the look of the comics that closely, then the 1995 POTF2 Chewie would have been a much better fit. I'm going to take a knife blade to that face and see how much of that paint I can scratch off. The figure's going to end up in the trash anyway, why not at least try to salvage it?

I haven't bought any of the others yet, somehow I get the idea they'll be around for a while.;)

My big question is why go through all this trouble to reprint 3-issues of a 4-issue series? :confused:

Were they planning on doing a fourth set? If so who? How about Luke from page 4, panel 6 of issue #3, with the glow from his pink lightsaber blade painted right onto his face? :thumbsup:

Oh wait, no. On pages 6-7, Han has a slight yellow highlight on the right side of his face. Looks like it's time for a new figure! :yes:

:rolleyes:

DarkArtist
01-04-2007, 07:24 AM
My big question is why go through all this trouble to reprint 3-issues of a 4-issue series?

actually the original Marvel Star Wars Comic is a six issue mini series so by that there should still be three more of these comic packs to finish off the line.

have to agree about Chewie, Hasbro would have been smarter re-releasing the original POTF2 version , I just can't imagine what the paint / make-up on the face would look like on that figure.

I am thinking that the rumored Luke & R2, Leia & Threepio will round out the issues of 4 & 5 now all we need is a Ben & some other character for the last issue.

toonimator
01-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Just wait! Movie-deco Han in Stormtrooper disguise will probably be out by year's end, or known for a fact to be in 2008's assortment. Same goes for Stormtrooper Luke, who'll be out comic-style pretty soon, too (the Luke/R2 2-pack IS confirmed -- just no official photos or details confirming the Stormtrooper disguise yet).

bigbarada
01-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Just wait! Movie-deco Han in Stormtrooper disguise will probably be out by year's end, or known for a fact to be in 2008's assortment. Same goes for Stormtrooper Luke, who'll be out comic-style pretty soon, too (the Luke/R2 2-pack IS confirmed -- just no official photos or details confirming the Stormtrooper disguise yet).

So far all of the figures are at least somewhat related to the scenes in the comic book that they come with. So there's a good chance that we'll just get a Luke head dropped onto the same Han Stormtrooper figure. I would hope that they are taking this time to properly scale the Stormtrooper body to match Luke's height, but that might be too much to ask for a multipack figure.

There's also a good chance that we'll get a "Death Star Escape" Luke, with his regular farmboy duds and Stormtrooper utility belt.

A very slim chance that this will be a re-release of the VTSC X-Wing Pilot Luke, although that would make the most sense considering he is packed with Artoo.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
A few days ago, I got the Vader/Rebel pack, and I really like it. Seeing the deleted scenes in the comics is a real trip -- as is the fact that they referred to Darth Vader as the Dark Lord of the Sith, which I thought wasn't invented until many years later.

Any thoughts on how they'll do R2? In this issue, he looks mostly black and white, with the blue shading that the painters seemed to like a lot. That could work as an interesting non-R2-D2 droid.

DarkArtist
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
my guess is R2 will be a straight re-pack. if they stick to the original 6 six mini series of comics from Marvel, then it stills makes me wonder who will be in the sixth issue.

I mean the first issue with Vader and Trooper was a good choice since they are in the first issue, issue two with Tarkin and stormtrooper, again good choice, issue three has Han stormie and Chewie, good choice (bad design on chewie).

i believe issue four dealt with the rescue of leia and the garbage chute so i could only imagine them releasing a re-pack of the 25th Luke and Leia with Marvel colorings which would just suck, perhaps this will be the pack with either a Luke stormie, or Leia and Threepio.

issue five was the death of Obi Wan and the rebel briefing, good choices would be a Obi Wan vs Vader set

issue six is the Death Star Battle so I would think that Hasbro would give us an X-Wing Luke and R2 or at least an X-wing pilot vs a TIE Pilot.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Seeing the deleted scenes in the comics is a real trip -- as is the fact that they referred to Darth Vader as the Dark Lord of the Sith, which I thought wasn't invented until many years later.Nope, it's right there in the first chapter of the novel as well:

Two meters tall. Bipdedal. Flowing black robes trailing from the figure and a face forever masked by a functional if bizarre black metal breath screen - a Dark Lord of the Sith was an awesome, threatening shape as it strode through the corridors of the rebel ship.

That was how the book introduced Vader.