PDA

View Full Version : Is Princess Leia really a princess?

Maxu3x
07-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know where Leia is a Princess? Does that make her step father a king? How did she become a princess? I found it convenient that her mother was once a queen and she is a princess.

2-1B
07-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I think she's more of a diva. lol

The impression that I get is the lady from Alderaan is a Queen but with her husband being in the Senate I think it's more of an honorary title. Or maybe not, but didn't Antilles call Bail "your highness" ? :confused:

BTW, nice avatar Max. :thumbsup:

Jargo
07-23-2006, 11:07 PM
She's credited as Queen of Alderaan. I would imagine if she is then Bail would be her Prince consort. which would make any offspring a prince or princess. so therefore calling bail 'your highness' would be right or acceptable. As is princess leia being called princess.

2-1B
07-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Plus wasn't the TPM Adrian Dunbar version of Bail Organa referred to as the "Prince" of Alderaan? That's my recollection but it's been over 7 years already. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Plus wasn't the TPM Adrian Dunbar version of Bail Organa referred to as the "Prince" of Alderaan? That's my recollection but it's been over 7 years already. :D
I still think it was supposed to be (or at least should have been) Bail Antilles, who was mentioned by Panaka as one of the other candidates for Chancellor. According to the Holonet News site, Bail Organa replaced Antilles some time after TPM.

But indeed, Breha Organa is the Queen of Alderaan. Don't know why that doesn't make Bail the King.

Jargo
07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
because likelihood is he isn't from royal blood. whereas she may be. and technically as she has married a 'commoner' she cannot have him as king. So next best thing is Prince consort. which is basically the same as a concubine but male. But as Brha has adopted Leia and brings her up as though she was a legally born child it then passes to leia the royal title of Princess, daughter of the ruling sovereign. Heir to the throne of Alderaan. Judging by leia's reactions in ANH though, it seems to me that she sees herself as independent and very much the adopted daughter. She seems to have some detachment issues if you see how lamely she protests the loss of her homeworld and it's people.

Incidentally where did the name Breha come from? it's listed on the official cast listing as Queen of Alderaan only. She doesn't even get credited with the name of Organa.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Incidentally where did the name Breha come from? it's listed on the official cast listing as Queen of Alderaan only. She doesn't even get credited with the name of Organa.
I don't remember where I heard it, but it might've been the official site. I also know that Apailana is the Queen of Naboo in ROTS but she too is credited without a name.

Slicker
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I'd go with MR. DADDYPANTS on this royalty thing. He lives in a country where they actually HAVE them. Unlike America where we get people *cough*ParisHilton*cough* who THINK they're princesses.

Rocketboy
07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Incidentally where did the name Breha come from? it's listed on the official cast listing as Queen of Alderaan only. She doesn't even get credited with the name of Organa.The name is used in the novel "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader," although I'm not sure if it's the first use of the name.
I thought it was also in the ROTS novelization, but a quick look came up empty.

Jargo
07-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Ah. thought it might be from a novel.

There are cases where the term Queen is used in a non royal sense to mean female ruler, where there is no royal heritage. societies that elect a leader like on Naboo. where Queen is a title that is passed around like a hat. If Alderaan had a social structure like naboo then Queen of Alderaan would be a sort of extra title and Breha could simply be bail's wife, elected sovereign ruler.
but even then Bail would still be a prince consort. As it's only the Queen who is important. representing some sort of earth mother figure. protector and provider. healer and advisor. it's just a glorified version of what Chief Chirpa is to the Ewoks. I believe it's been written somewhere that chirpa is female. I may be wrong there but the similarity is still there.
Calling bail Highness would be ok as it would be used in a literal sense. Highest person on the authority tree beside the Queen.

In the original treatment for episode three, Bail was a military leader with a fleet of fighter craft at his command. if you equate that to Naboo, where they have the N1 fighters, mostly ceremonial but defense capable i could imagine Alderaan having similar. With bail as chief advisor to the Queen it would make the chain of command much shorter and therefore more effective. but if ostensibly the Aderaan fleet are ceremonial they'd make a perfect rebel strike force. no-one would suspect them.

I actually hope we see more of Alderaan in the tv show. Bail, Mon Mothma and Ackbar. setting rebellion in place. And I quite like Jimmy Smits as Bail. I wouldn't need much of all that though, just enough to make Alderaan more significant, and show Bail getting under the skin of the Imperials so that by the time we reach ANH in the ongoing saga it actually makes sense that Alderaan is the first target of the death star. And we see why the Princess is valuable to the Imperials besides having stolen data.

oops. off topic.

General_Grievous
07-31-2006, 07:18 PM
I'd go with MR. DADDYPANTS on this royalty thing. He lives in a country where they actually HAVE them. Unlike America where we get people *cough*ParisHilton*cough* who THINK they're princesses.
Don't be silly. Paris is a princess. The princess of chlamydia. I hear she may even have a new title soon: the princess of gonorrhea.

Jargo
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
strangely that sounds like a place from a fairytale. Far away in a land of green and gold there was a sleepy little village by the name of Gonorrhea. Gonorrheans of old told the tale of the White Trash Princess.......

General_Grievous
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
....who lived in a castle with her friends Hepatitis B, Herpes Simplex A, and Tara Reid. :D

2-1B
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
The castle was guarded by some Gonorrhean Guards who used to work for Jabba the Hutt.

Jargo
08-02-2006, 04:46 PM
BadabumCHING!