PDA

View Full Version : This heat wave is killing me

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
It's been over 110 degrees every day for a few weeks here in SoCal, with no break in sight. And it's been rather humid--not Georgia humid, but very muggy by California standards. I keep my AC at 78 degrees when home, 81 when away, and it's still been on almost constantly. I've been dreading the power bill, which normally runs around $40-$50, thinking it might even be $100 this month.

So I just got my friendly reminder e-mail that my power bill was available online. Not too bad this month--only $275! :dead: Holy carp! It turns out they charge more per kilowatt hour if you use more, which is something I've never had a problem with. So here I am, in the middle of the hottest summer in the history of the world, with a wife who's 7 months pregnant, and a schoolteacher who's out for the summer, so I can't just turn off the AC. I guess there'll be less toys and fast food for me this month. I feel really sorry for the folks who don't have energy-efficient houses and normally have $300 power bills, because I know they're easily looking at double that this month.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
The electric and gas bills are out of control and it needs to stop. Seriously... I am on a budget plan and I pay like $122/month for my gas and $75 for my electric. What really stinks is that I still owe like $849 on my gas bill for this year and, with only using the water heater and the stove, I still managed to get charged $118 this month for "using" the gas! That's ridiculous and I totally feel for you, bro!

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Are you affected by the "rolling blackouts" Chux? If so, how long does one typically last?

Perhaps it'd be cheaper to wait a week and have Mrs. Chuxter induced than it would be to keep running the A/C. :D

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Are you affected by the "rolling blackouts" Chux? If so, how long does one typically last?

Not yet, thankfully. They normally last around a half hour or so, or at least the ones a few years did.

It's especially annoying since, were they decent human beings instead of hideously deformed slime creatures from an unspecified planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, the folks at the power company would realize that, this being an unusually hot summer, everyone is using more power and therefore this arbitrary level they refer to incorrectly as a "baseline" should be increased, and therefore fewer people would be screwed over for keeping themselves from dying of the heat.

And very infuriating that they constantly spend money on advertising when they have a monopoly. And that I've seen two electric signs on interstate highways telling me to save power. Duh, turn off your own fricking electric sign, morons!

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Yesterday, the power in my mother's neighborhood was out for 6 hours, they initially told her it might be 2 DAYS without power because their system was overtaxed and blowing up everywhere. That was surprising as hell, luckily around 1am the power came back on. This is ridiculous, apparently people are DYING from this.

So far, there haven't been any stage 3 emergencies which is when ISO starts effecting rolling blackouts, yesterday was stage 2 but downgraded to stage 1 by the end of the day. One cool thing about living in LA is that we have the LA DWP supplying over half the city's power, unlike SoCal Edison, DWP is owned by the city and does not try to make money by selling to other grids, so LA DWP customers do not end up stuck in Cal ISO's rolling blackouts the way Edison customers do (both my grandmothers unfortunately live in Edison parts of the city).

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
therefore this arbitrary level they refer to incorrectly as a "baseline" should be increased
Isn't that the American way? OPEC has a racket on it, too. Isn' there a hurricane season every year? Why not stock up during the off-season so the supply can be kept at the "baseline" (if need be) during peak time?!

I can understand water bans during times of drought and such, but that stuff ain't man made yo.

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Here are some issues to consider:
- Electricity is not hoardable in the quantities we're talking about, which is why SoCal Edison and many other power companies broker their power, they sell it to other areas since they can't use it immediately.
- Power companies still have to use decades-old delivery systems, old wiring and transformers, to get power to you, and in the heat these systems are more prone to failure even if usage weren't to go up.
- The price increase for usage increase is meant as a deterrant to using excess power, electricity is seen as essentially a finite commodity, it takes coal or oil or something finite like that to make electricity - even nuclear power has to go through its uranium pellets all the time - so here in CA, you may look at it as "I'm paying for it, I'll use what I want!" but the state and the utilities are more concerned with conservation (CA is the only state in the union to have its power consumption level off in the last 6 years due to conservation efforts, I learned that from a Republican Congressman actually, he was using CA as an example to Congress of how the other states could start conserving as well and stave off increasing power demands and oil reliance).
- Customers (residential and commercial) here in CA who volunteer for self-activated shutdowns during stage 2 emergencies in order to lighten the heavy load are getting discounts on their bills for helping out.

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 04:00 PM
- Customers (residential and commercial) here in CA who volunteer for self-activated shutdowns during stage 2 emergencies in order to lighten the heavy load are getting discounts on their bills for helping out.

Yes, but have you ever tried to get specific information on these programs from SoCal Edison? You can get all sorts of nebulous promises, but nothing concrete. (And you try talking a pregnant woman into volunteering to shut down the AC for up to 6 hours at a time with no prior warning.)

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Thats when you take her shopping for 6 hours.

El Chuxter
07-25-2006, 04:03 PM
No, because then she might be spending for six hours, which could be more expensive than the power bill.

darthvyn
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
some parts of queens, ny had been without power for just under a week up until yesterday... most of ConEd was working overtime and double shifts... they still really botched the whole thing - thought they could fix the problem while the rest of the grid was untouched. if they had just shut down everyone's power for a couple of hours it probably would've been okay...

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
i wish i have seen a sub $200 bill in the last year or so, LIPA costs without AC around $220 a month, I need to move and soon

Turbowars
07-25-2006, 06:12 PM
yeah I'm hating life as well. I have to work out in this heat. Today I felt like my head was going to explode in this 110+ weather. I wont even tell you guys what my power bill is. I don't even want to think about it.

Blue2th
07-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I feel for you guys. Because of last minute plans, I drove out to SDCC. I went through Phoenix Yuma and El Centro etc. My GOD! How to people exist in that heat! It's like another planet! San Diego was paradise as usual. I guess the heat wave hit in California after the Con.

Turbowars
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
It's kind of funny I guess, but It seems like there's something wrong. Not like we are moving closer to the Sun, LOL, but something doesn't seem right. I'm a 100% pessimist, so that's probably why, or my brain fried and I'm going crazy. :yes:

bobafrett
07-25-2006, 09:07 PM
It is not nearly that bad here in the Chicagoland area. Last summer was a pain though as my second of two ceiling fans quit working, now I have no ceiling fans to circulate the air, and my son has the only air conditioner in the house.

My gas bill two years ago hit almost $360 for two months, and I was forced to go on a budget plan. I have already built up extra money in my account to counter the high heating bills in the winter. The last 8 months though I paid $103.00 a month to get there.

DarthQuack
07-25-2006, 09:11 PM
some parts of queens, ny had been without power for just under a week up until yesterday... most of ConEd was working overtime and double shifts... they still really botched the whole thing - thought they could fix the problem while the rest of the grid was untouched. if they had just shut down everyone's power for a couple of hours it probably would've been okay...

Yea, we've done stories on this at my television station, and i just feel real bad for them, especially with the heat we've been having.

figrin bran
07-25-2006, 10:29 PM
i think something IS wrong, turbo. a distubance in the force...

i'm glad i don't live out in burbank or the valley as the temperatures are slightly higher than where i am. it really is unusual in that there's no letting up on the heat.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-25-2006, 10:43 PM
i think something IS wrong, turbo. a distubance in the force...

i'm glad i don't live out in burbank or the valley as the temperatures are slightly higher than where i am. it really is unusual in that there's no letting up on the heat.

Something is wrong. It seems that every year breaks a record for having the highest average temperature, until the next year comes.

Wonder if it is normal climate change, global warming, a combination of the two, or something else that is unknown.

darthvyn
07-26-2006, 06:57 AM
yeah, this year is already on it's way to being the hottest in the last 400 years.

global warming, ozone depletion, the north and south poles switching - all could be causes of the increase in mean temperature. it's scary out there.

scruffziller
07-26-2006, 08:05 AM
- Power companies still have to use decades-old delivery systems, old wiring and transformers, to get power to you, and in the heat these systems are more prone to failure even if usage weren't to go up.

Interesting. So that is why the power keeps going out over here.

I am damn lucky guys. I live in an apartment with HUD assistance. I pay only $370/month. All utilities included. And its a 2 bedroom.

CaptainSolo1138
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
My utilities are included in my rent also. I love it. I don't have A/C, but I never worry about running fans 24/7.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, but have you ever tried to get specific information on these programs from SoCal Edison? You can get all sorts of nebulous promises, but nothing concrete. (And you try talking a pregnant woman into volunteering to shut down the AC for up to 6 hours at a time with no prior warning.)No, I haven't, mainly because I'm a DWP customer and we aren't treated as badly as SoCalEd has been treating you guys. :ermm: We didn't suffer the rolling blackouts the rest of the state did a few years ago, when I move next I'm going to make sure it's in a DWP-served neighborhood.

They do give you warning though, an hour or a half hour, they have a radio device they give you which emits a warning sound letting you know that they want you to shut down in 30 mins.

I feel for you guys. Because of last minute plans, I drove out to SDCC. I went through Phoenix Yuma and El Centro etc. My GOD! How to people exist in that heat! It's like another planet! San Diego was paradise as usual. I guess the heat wave hit in California after the Con.I spent 9 months in Phoenix, moved there right before summer, that suuuuucked! A lot of ACs going and a lot of businesses have misters to keep customers cool, and there are a lot of pools, but it's horrible none the less. San Diego is a costal down and was actually suffering the early part of the heat wave during SDCC, but once you've been through Phoenix in 120-degree weather, SD's 85 doesn't seem so bad.

InsaneJediGirl
07-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Its hot here in Georgia,but not as hot as Florida,so I'm handling it great. 20 years of living in pure heat have paid off in some sick way :) I still dont like it though,and lucky the A/C has been working fairly well,only 3 fuse blow outs.

As for gas,my family doesnt use heat in the winter or cook with gas,so its just the out of this world electric they have to contend with in the summer. Good thing too,I'd hate to see what a gas bill is to heat the house.I feel for those who actually have to use gas heat because it gets so cold.

mabudonicus
07-27-2006, 06:52 AM
It's freakin hot up here in southern Ontario,too

So hot, in fact, that rocking the :beard: is no longer an option, so I have gone sans :beard:

So far none of my precious plants have been killed but I am worried about the weekend, it's supposed to get a lot hotter somehows, so unfortunately I have to PRAY for insane humidity to keep 'em from croaking, anyone who wants to cross their fingers, it would be appreciated, as some of my species plants would be nigh impossible to replace dammit
:D (beard would usually go here)

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm waiting to shave my 10-o-clock shadow until it's really sweaty and itchy and unbearable. Why? Because I'm lazy.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I just came back from a seminar in Palm Springs, where I was outdoors for perhaps a total of 15 minutes. It was hot all the time (never saw thermometers there, but you could feel it was at least 100 most of the time)... 2pm, 7am, 11pm, etc. (maybe it was "warm" around 4am, I don't know). I've tried to keep the air off where I'm at (about 40 miles east of Los Angeles and 60 miles west of Palm Springs) and just have fans directly on me where I am in the house, but it then is very uncomfortable to try and get to sleep when the house is still 90 degrees at 10 pm. :dead:

yeah, this year is already on it's way to being the hottest in the last 400 years.True dat! I remember the wickedly sweltering summer of '87 (1687) when there was SCANDAL over the visible ankles and uncovered shoulders! :eek: And where was Edison then, huh? :mad:

2-1B
07-28-2006, 01:41 AM
"Hot in....
so hot it hurrrrrts....
hotin...
oh!"

"I am getting so hot, I'm gonna take my clooooothes off."

Blue2th
07-28-2006, 07:43 AM
"I am getting so hot, I'm gonna take my clooooothes off."
Time to "Usher" in a new way of thinking? All together now, sing it "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes"

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Time to "Usher" in a new way of thinking? All together now, sing it "It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes"And not to be a Nagging "Nelly," but the artist is so hott, he's melted into a different person! :)

Did Weird Al ever do a song about the heat, or complaining about the weather? I know he parodied Nelly's "Hott in Herre" (did I correctly misspell "hot" and "here"?) as "Trash Day."

Blue2th
07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
I think it's hhhot in hhhere.:grin:

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I think the song just sucks more than anything has sucked before or since. Including Highlander 2.

Blue2th
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
It's fun to sing in a sarcastic way around some of my jiggy-fly co-workers. They frown:(

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
The first time I heard that song, I was driving home, flipping through channels. I had to call my then-fiancee to let her hear some of it, since it was so incredibly bad I had no doubt that I'd never hear it again. Boy was I wrong on that count. :(

Blue2th
07-28-2006, 05:59 PM
It's that rubber-ducky synthesizer, get's em everytime.lol

DarthQuack
07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Temps around smAlbany are supposed to get up near 100 tomorrow, it's gonna be a SCORCHer.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Back on the thread's topic, here in SoCal's Inland Valley the temps have been upper 70s/low 80s the last few days. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh... R.O.L.A.I.D.S. (old commercial; many of you young whipper-snappers may not get it, says Sio Bibble :rolleyes: ).

mabudonicus
08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
send some o' that up this way if ya could please BC, it's freakishly hot up here right now :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
We're supposed to be in the upper 80's tomorrow and then into the 70's by Thursday here, mabs, so you guys should have your relief by Friday.

2-1B
08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
97 yesterday in Wisconsin, a record high for July 31st...today is pushing 100 as well, it's crazy ! Should be cooler tomorrow, though. I hope. :D

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Our heat wave finally broke, now it's just regular summer temps, low 80s to upper '70s, but the humidity has been a little high and there have been odd clouds threatening us (with knives and unintelligible slang! hide the kids!). My apartment building is a giant oven though, it takes the entire night into morning to bleed off the heat from the previous day, so the apartment is always hotter than outside, I have the AC set to 80 degrees and it kicks in every half hour or so.

seanmcfripp
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Allow me a snooty gardener moment...

Even in this heat (Frederick, MD), my petunias and sweet alyssum are thriving. I water my plants twice a day (before I leave for work, and in the evening), so they're never thirsty. The rest of my block's flower beds are deader than dead. I rock!

Blue2th
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Back on the thread's topic, here in SoCal's Inland Valley the temps have been upper 70s/low 80s the last few days. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh... R.O.L.A.I.D.S. (old commercial; many of you young whipper-snappers may not get it, says Sio Bibble :rolleyes: ).
"That spells relief" Glad you guys in Cal. are cooling off a little. I don't know what's up, but it has rained here in Albuquerque every day since I got back from Comic Con. It's ok, but I thought this was the desert. It's freakin' me out!

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Shoot, its been 90 + here for a week and no sign of getting better until Friday.

Darth Instigator
08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
100 today on Long Island and supposed to be hotter tomorrow

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
This weather sucks ***, you know somethings wrong when you look forward to a slowdown when the temp goes to 85.

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
This weather sucks ***, you know somethings wrong when you look forward to a slowdown when the temp goes to 85.

I second that, when 85 is a relief, there is somehting wrong.

UKWildcat
08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
It almost made it to the 100 mark here today, hell, it probably did. It was brutal. I just got through running 2 miles and about died. :dead:

Got a couple more *Excessive Heat Warnings* on Wed. and Thur. where the forecast is 101 and 99 respectively.

bobafrett
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I drove my son up North 4 hours to Wisconsin this morning, I left there after dropping him off with my brother and watched the outside temperature guage on my car climb from 88 degrees to 101 degrees. I don't have AC in my car at the moment so when I got in both my shirt and undershirt were soaked with sweat. Makes for pleasant sleeping here too.

UKWildcat
08-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Makes for pleasant sleeping here too.

I would imagine so! :D

Btw, I checked my indoor/outdoor thermometer and the high was 100.0 on the dot today.

Dar' Argol
08-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Its been well over 90 here for longer then I can remember. Today it was 100+ and they are calling for hotter tomorrow. Thing that sucks is I work in a lumber mill, inside a metal building with no AC. Just fans to move thew hot air around. And despite the heat the work is not slowing down. I like the heat, its better then being cold, but the humidity and this much heat is getting old.

2-1B
08-18-2006, 03:13 AM
It's been great the last 2 weeks or so ! :grin:

scruffziller
08-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Yea I think the weather is finally slowing down. Can't wait till fall is in full bloom.

Old Fossil
08-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Been hotter than a popcorn fart here in Mis'sippi since late April. Normally we don't see 90-100 degree weather until early June, but the heat came early this year, and has stayed. Luckily we've had a bit of rain over the past two weeks, which cools it down a bit. We're in the 'dog days' of summer now... but hey, Autumn begins September 22!:rolleyes:

Remember "Good Morning, Vietnam?"

"...Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! ...I saw this little guy in orange robes burst into flames! It's that hot, you know what I'm talking about?"

TeeEye7
06-21-2008, 07:14 PM
It's 108 degrees outside as I type this. It's been quite toasty this week.

California's Central Coast has had record heat: 113 degrees in San Luis Obispo a couple of days ago. Poor folks don't have air conditioning over there as a rule.

For the first full day of summer, I think Ma Nature is doing a good job! :thumbsup:

Pass the iced tea, please!

UKWildcat
06-22-2008, 12:44 AM
The weather here has been unusually warm, for the most part. I know we broke a record one day within the past week or two. We have also had a lot of bad weather, and it is suspected to only get worse as summer continues and hurricane season progresses. Just last night we had a wicked storm roll through, here is a picture I took of the lightning (which is really tough to photograph btw):

Tycho
06-23-2008, 05:03 AM
I spent part of my weekend up the 15 freeway at my old girlfriend's. It was 10 degrees hotter there than down by where I live in San Diego. (She's still within the city's limits though). Anyway, we're talking the 90's where I live, versus like 104!

Anyway, my legs were very stiff and cramped from dialysis, so it was her brilliant idea to walk the pain out of me a little bit, and we exercised her dogs at just about high-noon.

Anyway, the discomfort from the heat was an ingenius way to distract me from the pain in my legs...

JEDIpartner
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
This heat wave is killing me

Can I have your Star Wars collection when you're gone? :love:

Blue2th
06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
It's been hot here as well in the high desert. It's a dry heat though, but like opening an oven I'd say.
Though the weather here can change within minutes. From fry to freeze and back again.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm on a week long vacation in Reno, NV (no, I haven't killed anyone just to see them die... I killed them with a hilariously funny stand-up comedy routine :illbehereallweek: :D ), and it's been in the low 90s, but with wildfires from my state of residence, it's made the skies "hazy" and smoke-smelling here. So, the heat's tolerable, but the air's :cough: a tad thick.