PDA

View Full Version : LEGO Star Wars II: Empire Strikes Back Moments

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
From the Battle of Hoth to the Lightsaber duel in Cloud City, ESB's best moments are captured in the upcoming LEGO Star Wars II video game.

(Note: the AT-AT and Millennium Falcon in the screenshots below have not been fully-rendered, they are still missing their trademark LEGO studs. Also, once again, every LEGO character and vehicle in the game's screenshots here is from an actual existing LEGO set: 4483 Imperial AT-AT, 4500 Rebel Snowspeeder, 4504 Millennium Falcon, and 10123 Cloud City. - JT)

View the screenshots here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=20&p2_articleid=188)

With less than two months to go until the release of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy on September 12, the teams at LucasArts, TT Games and developer Traveller's Tales are continuing to offer insight regarding the development of this tongue-in-cheek romp through the Star Wars galaxy. Now that the Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back portion of the game with its six unique movie-based levels is nearly complete, what scenes did they most enjoy giving fans the chance to build and battle their ways through?

"The Battle of Hoth is a huge blast of spectacle and action to kick-start the movie, and it was an absolute joy to bring this vast battle to life in LEGO," says Jonathan Smith, director at TT Games Publishing. "The AT-ATs had a massive impact on me when I first saw the film as a child, and their existing LEGO toy models as well as the AT-STs and of course the snowspeeder are just so cool. We had a lot of fun creating a Hoth battlefield for two players to zoom around on simultaneously, and we're really proud of the storytelling sequences too."

David Perkinson, producer at LucasArts, is particularly amused by the cutscene accompanying his favorite moment from the film. "You want to know how they handle Darth Vader saying 'I am your father' to Luke with LEGO characters that don't talk, don't you?" he teases. "Well, I'm not going to ruin anything for you. But trust me, it'll have you laughing out loud."

"Of course, there's something to be said for the gameplay actually leading up to that cutscene," adds Jeffrey Gullett, assistant producer at LucasArts. "From the carbon freezing chamber to the central chasm within the bowels of Cloud City, the lightsaber battle itself between Vader and Luke will always be a classic. You've possibly played this classic scene in a past Star Wars game, but Traveller's Tales has absolutely nailed it and with the added bonus of a few healthy chuckles along the way."

But that's not the only thing Gullett enjoys while visiting Cloud City. "Lando is my favorite character in the game to play as, without a doubt," he says. "With his unique melee attack, you can bust out some mad kung-fu skills with him as you take out stormtroopers en route to a boss fight with Boba Fett. Everyone also laughs when they see how he tilts his blaster to the side as he shoots. Someone at Traveller's Tales has a lot of love for Lando!"

"We all love him and all of the other characters in the game," assures William Thompson, character artist at Traveller's Tales. "And we love developing the classic scenarios into LEGO form just as much. In one way, you feel like you're making a tribute to the amazing characters and sequences that thrilled you so much as a child. In another, you also just have so much fun sticking in the slapstick gags and adding all those little important details that you hope fans will notice things like making R2-D2's periscope on Dagobah an essential gameplay element during your time on Yoda's swamp planet. This particular example serves the double purpose of both making you laugh and helping you get through the level."

Through working on Dagobah for LEGO Star Wars II, Smith came to appreciate the swamp planet even more than before. "Until we really got into our research, we didn't realize how much LEGO there is littered across the swamps of Dagobah," recalls Smith. "The area around Yoda's house is full of junk to fool around with! Now, when we watch the movie, we almost expect to see a LEGO washing machine or a LEGO tractor half-submerged beside Luke's X-wing!"

Lord Malakite
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm either getting slower or you are getting faster JT. :p Second time I've seen a LucasArts update only to see you already have the story up here. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Really? I've been sitting on that story for almost a week because I didn't want to see it get totally swallowed up by Comic-Con news.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty jazzed about this game, I really liked the first one and this looks even better. And it's great to see all the real LEGO sets in action. :D

Banthaholic
07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I also am really excited for this game. I was hooked on the 1st one, and the bonus level at the end in the Tantive IV really had my hopes up that the OT would be made.

Lord Malakite
07-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Really? I've been sitting on that story for almost week
And I was without PC access for about a week.:squareeye I miss the days of the college dorm. I had to mess with class work but at least I could get on the net anytime I wished. Sharing with 6 other people sucks.:p

Slicker
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Sharing with 6 other people sucks.:pYou think that's bad. You should try bein' one of the guys with Slicker's m...nevermind.

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:01 PM
The problem is that people in general suck, they're no good. :p

That Tantive IV level in the first game really was a lot of fun, some of the most interesting puzzles in the game too. I liked that game in some ways more than the prequels themselves, I'm not expecting this game to deliver that promise on the OT, that's just impossible, but I hope it'll be as good as it is shaping up to be.

figrin bran
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
i loved the first game and so i'm looking forward to this one. being able to ride the vehicles that you build will be nice!

now since i usually wait a few months for the price to lower on games, i don't know when i'll get this.