PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having issues with Mozilla?

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I have talked ot Slicker and Cappy and they are having the same issues with Mozilla. It keeps freezing up and then closing itslef. When I try to access it, it says Mozilla is already running and must be closed out. So I reboot to get it to work again. I am also getting flash error messages.

Anyone else?

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Firefox used to rule and I have gone back to IE since IE7 beta 2 came out, I am tired of FF crashing all the time

LusiferSam
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I have talked ot Slicker and Cappy and they are having the same issues with Mozilla. It keeps freezing up and then closing itslef. When I try to access it, it says Mozilla is already running and must be closed out. So I reboot to get it to work again. I am also getting flash error messages.

Anyone else?
No, I can't say I'm having such a problem. It could an OS specific problem because I run a Mac at home and Linux at school and Firefox runs fine on both.

Slicker
07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
That is entirely possible LS. I'm running XP on my desktop and I've been having this issues for about 2 weeks or so. It's not a big deal but I've had it crap out on me a couple of times when I have about 10 tabs open (I'm a slut for Wiki and I just link hop, okay?)

UKWildcat
07-25-2006, 09:44 PM
No real problems here.

Hey kh, if you are sick of rebooting you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click the "Processes" tab and find firefox.exe on the list. When you find it, hit "End Process". Then you should be able to reload Mozilla Firefox without rebooting your pc.

LusiferSam
07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
That is entirely possible LS. I'm running XP on my desktop and I've been having this issues for about 2 weeks or so. It's not a big deal but I've had it crap out on me a couple of times when I have about 10 tabs open (I'm a slut for Wiki and I just link hop, okay?)
:eek: At home I've never run with that many tabs open. I may have done that a couple of times at school because I needed at lot of manual/help pages on XMM Newton and associated software. Another thought is was there a Windows patch or update you guy recently install? You might try downloading a fresh copy of Firefox and installing that.

You guys might also check out Mozilla's forums (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38) to see if they have any advice.

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 02:13 AM
i always start with 10 or so home tabs and the new IE is great with that now too

darthvyn
07-26-2006, 06:53 AM

Anyone else?

i've had it happen on other computers, but not with mine... i'm running windows XP with a gig of ram in it (maximum of 3 gigs...) WXP needs so much ram that the additional load of FF on it can make FF lock up... find out how much ram you have. the bare minimum for WXP is 256mb but i suggest at least 512mb. the best thing to do is max out your ram compliment, though. use the belarc advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) to find out how much ram you have (if you don't already know...)

Firefox used to rule and I have gone back to IE since IE7 beta 2 came out, I am tired of FF crashing all the time

yikes! i wouldn't trust IE7, or ANY beta software for my regular day-to-day stuff. the beta is just that, beta software for evaluation purposes. it's not meant to be a replacement for anything yet (although, true to M$ form, it over-writes your IE6... never heard of a beta version over-writing a stable release... geniuses at M$, they are...)

anyway, i've been developing for the web for about 5 years now, and IE, 7 or otherwise, still sucks. sure, 7 beta is better than 6, but that's like saying getting kicked in the junk by the hulk is better than getting kicked in the junk by superman. the top bar is completely counter-intuitive. they've moved everything around in an attempt to make it smaller (which they didn't succeed in, FF's toolbar is still smaller, especially when you turn on the "small buttons") but that's just one gripe. sure, it supports more of the cool things i can do in CSS, but the rendering is still a bit off. in fact, i'm pretty sure a cool thing i designed last month, that worked in IE7 beta2, DIDN'T work in beta3! now that's not cool!

but that's what i'm saying. it's still evaluation software, and still in heavy devlopment. do you buy anything online through that browser? i wouldn't - not until they've worked all the bugs out. (but of course, they never worked all the bugs out of IE6, so you buys your ticket and you takes your chances...) you have no idea if the secure transmission of your credit card information of passwords is TRULY secure...

basically what i'm saying is, please DON'T give M$ the credit for updating their browser by using it, because it's WAY too little, WAY too late. i've had both beta releases on my machine at one of my jobs, and i've deleted it twice. thankfully, it returns IE6 to it's original state - never thought i'd be relieved to see IE6.

Slicker
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
i've had it happen on other computers, but not with mine... i'm running windows XP with a gig of ram in it (maximum of 3 gigs...) WXP needs so much ram that the additional load of FF on it can make FF lock up... find out how much ram you have. the bare minimum for WXP is 256mb but i suggest at least 512mb. the best thing to do is max out your ram compliment, though. use the belarc advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) to find out how much ram you have (if you don't already know...)
I've got a gig of RAM on my computer and I'm gettin' the problem. Would I possibly need more RAM?

Please say yes so I can justify upping to two 1 gig sticks.

darthvyn
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I've got a gig of RAM on my computer and I'm gettin' the problem. Would I possibly need more RAM?

hmmm... no, you probably shoudn't need more than that... what are you doing at the time? i know FF has a chronic problem with opening PDF's in acrobat, although it's more a problem with the acrobat plugin than anything else...

there can also be weird problems with incompatable hardware - my video card causes MS word to crash all the time. it's so weird. but i use open office anyway. my wife was always crashing the computer with word, though.

Please say yes so I can justify upping to two 1 gig sticks.

then yes, you need 17 gigs of ram. (make sure your computer can handle 17 gigs first...)

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I had this problem a few times in FF, what it turned out to be was I visited a page with a plugin, either Flash or a video player or Adobe Acrobat Reader, and the plugin got frozen or stuck or something, and ate up all my RAM getting screwy. It could be something you accidentally cached (clear your cache, obviously), or if you are viewing pages with heavy javascript or java applications it could be one of them - it's easiest to figure out if it always happens a little while after you visit a specific page.

It's also possible that you picked up some spyware that is poorly written (wow, poorly-written spyware? No way! :p) and screws up your browser (it's a lot easier to pick up spyware via IE than Moz), try running an anti-spyware program like Counterspy (http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm).

Rogue II
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I run Firefox at home and haven't had any problems with it. It froze up on me a little a month or so ago, but I ran defrag, and a bunch of those other maintenance programs and it works fine now.

jjreason
07-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I've had no problems here (1 gig ram), but I don't run tabs at all. As a matter of fact, FF just advised me it had downloaded an update which will install next time I open the browser. Maybe they fixed the problem?

UKWildcat
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
My Firefox just updated itself too.

LusiferSam
07-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I had this problem a few times in FF, what it turned out to be was I visited a page with a plugin, either Flash or a video player or Adobe Acrobat Reader, and the plugin got frozen or stuck or something, and ate up all my RAM getting screwy.
I hadn't thought about the plugins. There are few (relativity speaking) for Mac and even less for Linux (and those a pain to install). Acrobat Reader is one of those that isn't supported on either system.

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I doubt tabs are the problem, I run a TON of tabs all the time, in fact just today I opened 20 tabs at once from a bookmark file, it slowed for a moment then went along its merry way. In fact, I believe it's *better* for your browser to run multiple tabs than multiple windows, saves on resources.