PDA

View Full Version : "Eureka", anyone?

JEDIpartner
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
No... it's not the most amazing show that Sci-Fi has ever aired BUT... it's kinda fun so far. I like the characterisations. While not exactly on the same plane as The X-Files, Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure or things of that classic TV calibre, it got my attention last week and I'll be tuning in this evening to see how things develop. I hope they do... this summer, it's all about the "quirky" for me!

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
It's cute, and hopefully the underlying sub-plot will go somewhere, but it feels so far like fluff. I thought yesterday's ep was a little smarter than the first one, and I hope they go somewhere fun with this. I also wish they'd get even LESS grounded with this stuff, really go nuts with it all.

JEDIpartner
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm tuning into that tonight. Threw it on the DVR. :) I caught about a minute of it in the middle of the show and it looked pretty good. I love the nymphomaniacal, psychoanalytical villainess Bed & Breakfast owner. That's silly fun!

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you this ep will surprise you big in 3 different ways, post when you watch it.

JEDIpartner
07-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Loved last night's episode!! I really enjoy the way Jack can't really put himself into the techno wizardry of the Eureka townsfolk. That totally flipped me out when the "other/real" Susan showed up!! I kinda figured it had to be a cloning thing. Still, the way the story developed was amazing!!! It will be interesting how the town nympho will deal with Howard and real Susan being back in the picture. I'm liking these characters... Fargo's little schtick at the 24-hour help line for S.A.R.A.H. cracked me up last night. I'm glad I tuned in!!

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, surprise after surprise after surprise, right? I thought the psychologist was going to kill the new Susan as well after the look she gave her, and how Walter will be able to keep the secret, I don't know. I hope SFC doesn't can the show even if it doesn't get good ratings the first season, like a lot of sci-fi it needs time to find its audience.

JEDIpartner
07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah... I think Sci-Fi is best when you allow the show to grow and the lore actually devlops. I think that's why a lot of Joss Whedon's shows are good. He purposely tells the story in a way that events and people eventually add up to something big and interesting.

Seriously agree with you on the look that nypho-psychologist gave Susan #1. Obviously, she is going to be someone to watch out for on the show. Good stuff.

JEDIpartner
08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Oooh, ahh!!! Another great episode!!! Loved that whole time stealing/mind erasing thing-- er-- device.

JEDIpartner
08-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Man alive!!! I can't believe that no one is on-board with this quirky little show!!

JEDIpartner
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay... I'm back to ram this show down people's throats!!! LOL

I'm really enjoying this season so far!! Henry having the potential to be a nemesis to Sheriff Carter and also seeing that the psychologist is up to no good. I'm loving this all over again!!!!

mtriv73
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Did they re-cast the psychologist? She's cuter than I remembered.

I loved the second episode, but the first one was a little dark for what I expect from that show.

I don't think I like the new Henry, maybe he'll realize that holding a grudge is no way to live and blank his own memory by the end of this season.

JEDIpartner
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Nope... same actress.

Yeah... the first one just kinda wrapped up last season in some ways. I think they needed a plot device to get Nathan out of GD and Allison into his old position. The second episode was good. It had a much lighter tone and it made good use of Fargo and his idiosyncracies. I really enjoy the chemistry between Jack, Nathan and Allison.

JediTricks
07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I liked them both, they're in the same level of corn as the first season. Knowing the future I felt was ok for Jack, he'd get used to it as the future timeline deviated, but it did make more sense to blank him.

JEDIpartner
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm really digging this season. Aside for my insane crush on Colin Ferguson, the show is really starting to develop the emotional content a bit more. You feel the push/pull dynamics of Allison and Nathan's interest in their son's connection to the artifact vs what is ultimately right for everyone else.

JediTricks
08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
So far it's been pretty good, but there is a bit of a pattern emerging in the "killer tech of the week" theme where Carter's stupidity helps save the day.

JEDIpartner
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Season 3.0 DVD packaging:
55% post-consumer, 45% post-industrial paper fibre
each package saves two water bottles from entering a landfill

Just saying... :o

Can't wait for the new season to start this Friday evening!!!!!

JEDIpartner
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Sometimes I feel like Jack Carter in Eureka when I talk with our new IT guy, Kevin...

Me: The tank the welder's using scares me. It's all rusted and looks really old and it looks like it could explode at any time!

Kevin: Actually, the tank would IMplode as they remove all the atmosphere from it and the pressure is actually lower in the tank than it is outside the tank. It's a good thing they don't use ammonia in those tanks anymore.

Me: ...

JEDIpartner
08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
In an effort to de-scifi the SyFy channel even further, Eureka has now been cancelled at the end of this season. The stupid thing is that they had ordered a six-episode run to potentially end the run after season six. That was just last week and today the show has been cancelled full stop.

What does this mean for Eureka fans? Well, it looks like the current season will wrap up after the mid season break. This will give the writers enough time to come up with a satisfying end to this fun series. What does it mean for me? It means that it's one less hour that SyFy is going to get from me. I'm growing weary of the ghost hunting, wrestling(??), non-sci-fi programming on that network.

Is it only a matter of time before Warehouse 13 gets the axe?

CLICK HERE FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY ARTICLE

(http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/08/eureka-cancelled/)

JediTricks
08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Actually, Eureka is canceled at the end of NEXT season. This is currently season 4, the show was set to run through to season 5, then a few weeks ago Siffy made an order for a 6-episode season six, and then today changed their mind on season six. But there's still the rest of season 4 to get through (probably another month at the most), and then all of season 5 left to write and shoot and air, which could possibly get us into 2013.

That said, Siffy has just canceled pretty much their only actual sci-fi show in Eureka, and it's light sci-fi at best, mostly just goofy fantasy with sci-fi trappings. Alphas is light sci-fi too I guess, but portrays itself as something else (I like the show, but they play down the sci-fi aspects).

JEDIpartner
08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Well... technically, yes, but the season that ran last summer was season 4.0 (refer to the DVD-- I know, I know. It makes no sense). So... I think they might be referring to the end as the end of this season (the currently airing one being season 5.0), which will finish its run next summer (season 5.5).

JediTricks
08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I am pretty sure this is currently season 4.5, not season 5. The current season 4.5 runs 10 episodes, following the pattern laid down by season 3 and 3.5. Season 5 gets a 13 ep order and probably won't start airing until Summer of next year, or even later if they pull a BSG.

JEDIpartner
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Who can honestly say what's going on with the series durations, you know? One of the seasons was supposed to be one long season and then they cut it into two. They still referred to it as one season despite the fact that it took a full year between part one and part two. It's highly annoying!! I get calling a season a "season" if they split it the way that USA does with their shows: June-Aug and then Jan-Mar. That's fine, but this July-Sept and then July-Sept thing does not ONE season make!!!

OK... so now it gets even WEIRDER (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/10/syfy-eureka-erica-cerra/)!!!!!

Eureka fans, brace yourself for one more twist.

You know the show was renewed for a sixth season, canceled, then had its final six episodes retracted. Now Syfy is adding one final hour to the show’s upcoming fifth season so writers can wrap things up. It doesn’t take a math genius to calculate the fluctuating final episode count for Eureka, but it doesn’t hurt either (13 + 6 – 6 + 1 = 14). And that is it — no more revisions (we think).

It seems production on season 5 is nearly finished, and episode 13 is one of the show’s characteristic cliffhangers. Producers needed an extra hour to give fans any kind of closure.

Erica Cerra, who plays Deputy Jo Lupo on the show, spoke to EW about the cancelation. A month ago, she said, the cast was still optimistic. “I figure we were getting sixth season for sure, 13 if not more,” Cerra said. “Then we learned we were only getting six and were disappointed — the numbers were going up and the show was getting better. But we were still happy with the six and knew they could have created a great ending.”

And then…

“The final blow,” she said. “Yeah, that was just sad. There’s no other word to use. It was a sad moment. We weren’t prepared to say goodbye. Hopefully the final episode will do the show justice.”
The Smallville and Battlestar Galactica vet said she has no idea how writers are going to wrap things up, though she did have some hopes for Deputy Jo.

“Maybe they’ll be a softer side to Jo,” she said. “Maybe she’ll get domestic and have lots of children. Or maybe she’ll finally be sheriff.”

Overall, Cerra said the experience of working on Eureka has been terrific. “There’s not even the smallest hint on sarcasm; I say with utter sincerity I really really enjoyed working on this show and the people I worked with. And I love the show.”

JediTricks
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, that is SUPER confusing. That said, even Syfy.com is referring to the current season as "Season 4" (not even Season 4.5, but that's how they roll) so I am HOPING they aren't jerking us around.

JEDIpartner
08-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I know. This whole thing is a mess!! If this is still season 4 (as season 4 was technically last year), then this would mean they are wrapping this up next summer? Ugh... this does my head in more than the continuity "issues" in Star Wars.

AFCollector
08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I just started catching up with this show again, I had seen season 1 when it aired, and parts of season 2, but then missed everything until this current season started (but thankfully caught a few episodes from the previous season when "Syfy" aired a nice little marathon). I really like this show, it's funny and the characters are likeable. My first thought was said earlier in the thread, "How long before Warehouse 13 gets the axe too?".

I'm with you guys, this whole "is it a season, is it not a season" thing is very confusing. Even after reading that article JP reposted, I'm still confused a little.

I mean, that's a full hour Syfy could be chasing 'ghosts' or airing wrestling! Once Sanctuary and W13 get the axe, I think I'll find another channel to watch.

Very sad. :(

JediTricks
08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I know. This whole thing is a mess!! If this is still season 4 (as season 4 was technically last year), then this would mean they are wrapping this up next summer? Ugh... this does my head in more than the continuity "issues" in Star Wars.Yeah, that's what's going on. Season 3 was 2 summers, season 4 is 2 summers, and I'll bet you the 13 (or now 14) episode count of season 5 means it's going to be a 7-episode mini-season one year and then another one the next year.

Warehouse 13 just got an order for season 4.

I like W13 and Alphas, but even seeing the on-screen graphic ads for their other shows is getting annoying - cooking, makeup, wrestling, Scooby-Dooing, and the world's worst horror and fantasy movies is sci-fi how?

JEDIpartner
08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I like W13 and Alphas, but even seeing the on-screen graphic ads for their other shows is getting annoying - cooking, makeup, wrestling, Scooby-Dooing, and the world's worst horror and fantasy movies is sci-fi how?

Yep... you're seeing the way I see it.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't know much about Haven, but I know I hate it based solely on a few seconds of its ads, and its myriad of OSGs.