PDA

View Full Version : anyone live in colorado??

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I need to move from Long Island NY as it costs way too much and I cant take it anymore. I have been scoping out Colorado and we even looked up house prices and living expenses, is it easier to afford things there? And might anyone work in EMS out there and know what they are making? Thanks

Slicker
07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
An easy way to check is to go to the Colorado just found thread.

The ones off the top of my head that live there are JabbaJohnL and Jayspawn.

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
didn't want to crap up that thread with my questions that are offtopic, but ok. Thanks man

vulcantouch
07-25-2006, 09:42 PM
di: "easier to afford things there?"
-i spose an answer would depend on having experience w/costs of living in both locales, but knowing personally that we're cheaper than chicago, and having been told denver's cheaper than sanfran or seattle, i'd imagine we're prolly also still cheaper than greater nyc :)
cheapest sighted denver gas as of yesterday: $2.82/gal- but coloplaces like aspen are surely higher :p

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
ok, I am not looking to live in colder climate rather a more neutral area, I guess like Denver?

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Denver is alot olike Buffalo in climate since it is in the mountains. They dont call it mile high for nothing

Darth Instigator
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
ahhh ok, is there anything down by NM that is nice?

Blue2th
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
It can get cold in Denver, but remember it is a drier climate. The snow turns to powder. The cold doesn't get to your bones like Chicago which is next to the great lakes. If you like high desert New Mexico is also dry, and can get hot but not anywhere near as hot as Phoenix or LA for that matter. The winters are'nt as severe as Denver or Colorado and not as expensive to live here (except Sante Fe) I live in Albuquerque which is also a mile high. People are just now finding out about this place. The New Mexican food is unlike any Mexican food you may have tried anywhere and tastier. Once you get hooked on it, you can't live without it, and you can't get it ANYWHERE else.

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 01:14 AM
New MExico huh? Is it nice there? Like people and lifestyles? I dont want ghetto areas for my kids sakes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Denver's not in the mountains; Boulder is much closer, and the two are, I'd say, roughly an hour's drive apart. It's really not as cold as everyone thinks; I mean, it rarely snows here (I live in Lafayette, a suburb of Boulder that's about 20 minutes away from there). I've lived here for 11 years and there have actually been only two or three "white Christmases." They always pull out that saying, "if you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait five minutes . . ." but then again, they say that in every state and everyone thinks it's unique to their own state. :rolleyes:

And we're not all cowboys either. :p

Boulder has its fair share of hippies, but mostly it's nature-loving granola-eating kinds of people. Around Lafayette though it's more "normal," I guess you could say. It's really like anywhere else in the US except there's mountains in the background.

darthvyn
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
It's really like anywhere else in the US...

i gotta say, that's too much of a generalization... having lived NY, then in NC, i know how different two places can be... it's the reason i'm back in NY!

Blue2th
07-26-2006, 05:39 PM
"Go west young man" "There's GOLD in them thar hills!" Really though it's like Mr. Jabba J said. It's not that cold up there. You will be astounded by the mountains. I actually prefer Denver to Albuquerque. There is alot more things to see and do there. More outdoor activities too. Depending on what you like. The cities of the southwest are seeing a boom right now. Albuquerque is bursting at the seams. Denver is too last time I was there. Property values are going up..............As far as Ghetto land, every city has one. But I'm sure if you can even afford to live in Long Island you can do pretty well out west.

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
i prefer a average 70 degree climate for mototrcycle riding and the less precipitation the better. I like a nice busy area with nice neighborhoods.

Blue2th
07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
You might as well move to San Diego. That is the only city I know of with that average temp or close. It is paradise in my book. Though expensive to own property. I would still be there if I didn't move back here to take care of my Dad.

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I heard it was so close to Mexico that it was like being there though? Not that I am prejudiced but I like people like me, we have more in common.

Blue2th
07-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I know what you mean "Bah-ram-you-to-your-kind-be-true" (That's a quote from the movie Babe) I'm not prejudiced either, but I usually get it coming the other way.............. San Diego is too expensive for many Mexican Nationals to live in. And many Crackers like me lol It's also one of the cleanest cities I have ever seen. You have to at least visit it as well as Albuquerque which is celebrating it's 300th anniversary by the way................There are alot of Spanish people here also, but most of them and their family line have been here before English people arrived on the shores of America. Suprisingly, alot are anti-imigration. Spotting a Black person is almost a novelty here (descendants of Buffalo Soldiers) .................... You need to get on that bike of yours and check out the Purple Mountains Majesty and Amber Waves of Grain (America) DI.