PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think the collecting Tin sets are lame?

Tycho
07-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Alright, they're rehashes in a tin lunchbox or something?

We get:

Qui-Gon and the red Astromech - I have them - and why in the world the astromech anyway?
Obi-Wan and Darth Maul - I have them

Anakin and a blue AOTC Clone - I have them - and cheap play on ROTS btw
Jango and Count Dooku - I have them - and who wants more of them???

Mace and Yoda - a cloth cape on Yoda after how many years? Bah.
Anakin and an ATRT Driver repaint - I basically have them.*

* That ROTS Anakin appears to have bending knees though - something I've wanted for a long time to help him fit well in my Jedi Starfighter. I might just be able to use this.

The Commemorative Tins are a really pathetic excuse for folks who already have these figures to buy more of them :rolleyes:

There's supposed to be Eps 4,5, & 6 coming.

My guess:

Obi-Wan and Vader
Han & (Chewie, Leia, or stormtrooper, or Boba Fett)
Luke & (Palpatine, Boba Fett, Leia, or R2D2).

I have all of these characters, too.

But gee-whiz! What would I do without specially marked tin boxes? :rolleyes:

figrin bran
07-26-2006, 01:00 AM
i'm getting the Modal Nodes set at the very least.

i could use the tins to store loose figures and accessories.

Kidhuman
07-26-2006, 01:05 AM
The VOTC Yoda had a cloth cape, so two years.

I aint buying these either sans the Modal Nodes

Tycho
07-26-2006, 02:05 AM
I forgot about the Modal Nodes. I don't know where all of you were in 1997, but back then I bought a LOT of the Figrin Dan figure that came with all 5 instruments.

I use 6 of them as the Modal Nodes (there was actually 6 members as Nalan is often forgotten about), and many of my others are kitbashed as pirates, smugglers, Bith Senators, Podracing fans, etc.

I'm sure it's great for you guys who weren't in the hobby in 1997, or didn't buy enough for whatever reason (Do tell your story - it may be interesting), but I can't use these myself.

LTBasker
07-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Well the thing is that not everyone had the money to buy a load of Firgrin Dan because of the overpricing done by the Fan Club.

I like the 2-pack idea, but really think it's cheap the way they pulled it off. The only figures I"m interested in are the white AT-RT driver, blue AOTC Clone, Red R2, Endor trooper with removeable helmet (has a different head than what's been released) and the SA Biker Scout with flip-up visor.

I'm not really sure if I will get any of these or not, I find the tins absolutely pointless. Ooh, a tin frickin can. Granted, we could store some stuff in them, but not securely. Since they split in the middle you won't be able to fill it all the way and when closed you won't be able to turn it over otherwise your stuff will fall to the other side.

The 2-packs look good in general until you realize that most of the figures on them are...crap. Namely the TPM pack. They're using quite possibly the worst versions of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, Maul is decent if you didn't get the Evolutions pack and...the Red R2. While alot of collectors like me didn't get that R2 because we couldn't afford a $100 ship at the time and never found them on clearance, it seems like too much of a baiting issue. You can either buy this new release, or go to ebay and get it for almost the same price.

Set by set:
TPM- Already explained
AOTC- Could've been a decent set, but really the Jango kills it. If this had been given new legs at least, it might've been somewhat worth it, the facial sculpt seems to have become worn with all the reuse of the mold.
ROTS- Yoda and the Clone could be worth it, since the other releases of that Yoda have included the plastic cape that you can't use in multiple poses. Anakin, as in the AOTC set, is decent if you didn't buy the evolutions set. Mace is downright horrible though, he looks like a frickin ape!

So, overall if I get any it'll be the AOTC, ROTS and ROTJ sets but only one of each to keep packaged and then buy the actual figures I want loose on ebay. The same would've applied to the TPM set because of the Red R2, but if I'm going to buy that loose anyways it'll be the 1999 release with the harness stand that they failed to include for the rerelease. This is a pretty big if though, because overall they are a huge waste of space and looking again at the packaging since the excitement has worn off, it's too vague. I think I can easily do without these sets, especially since they'll probably just release these figures later on in other sets.

The modal nodes I will definitely be buying though since it's actually worthwhile.

By the way, Tycho, the original trilogy tin sets were shown but not in packaging.

ROTJ- Vader (Evolutions?), VTSC Biker Scout with flip-up visor (oh good, our $10 versions are inadaquete now!), POTF2 Endor Rebel Soldier with removeable helmet and not-previously-used head, Leia in Ewok dress. (Leia collection version?)

ESB- VOTC Chewie, Saga Hoth Luke, Saga Hoth Han, Saga/OTC Snowtrooper with removeable helmet and Jango clone head.

ANH- Vader (500th figure?), Sandtrooper with Lucastrooper mold and the removeable helmet reveals a Jango clone head, VOTC 3PO and Early bird Leia.

Dark Marble
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Yep, these kind of bum me out. There is enough in there that is half way new to make them interesting, but are they worth buying??? There is so much coming out over the next few months it will be hard to justify picking these up...

Droid
07-26-2006, 09:47 AM
The two packs would have been a great idea, sold in stores on the vintage style cards, with figures that GO TOGETHER:

Even if they did some repacks:

1. The Tonnikas
2. The two Duros, now with Bariss Keeg
3. Perhaps a Jawa and a new droid from the droid sale
4. White Vintage style Bespin Guard with mustache, Black Bepsin Guard
5. Ak-Rev and Umpass Stay
6. Yarna and Hermi Odle (to cover their behinds if people really wouldn't
buy Yarna).
7. Death Star Trooper in Black/Death Star Trooper in gray
8. Trevagg and the Nightlilly
9. Lak Sirvak and Dice Ibegone
10. Sim Aloo and any other Dignitary
11. Kitster and Wald
12. Quadrinaros and Ratts Tyrell
13. Young Owen and Young Beru
14. Cliegg and Shmi
15. Queen of Alderaan and Bail Organa
16. Palace Klaatu and Skiff Guard Klaatu (or better the guard that shot Luke)
17. the two Saurin
18. Dofine and Tey How
19. Episode II Anakin and Obiwan with relaxed plastic robes
20. Episode III Anakin and Obiwan with relaxed plastic robes
21. The Utapaun fuel creatures
22. the FX and 2-1B droids from the creation of Vader
23. LUKE AND LEIA FROM THE MEDICAL FRIGATE
24. Lumat and Warok and Romba and Mother with Wokling combinations
25. Wioslea and CZ-3
26. Episodes II and III Queen of Naboo
27. Corde and Dorme
28. Sgt. Doallyn and Chewbacca
29. Smuggler Lando and Chewbacca

I'm not sure all of these are the best choices, but the list could go on and on and on.

The tins are worthless, just another excuse to get our money without giving us brand new figures. I may buy the Jedi one for the Endor Rebel Soldier.

Luckily I already got the Bith I need because they looked better with plastic coats. Why is it that the cloth for the vintage figures fit well but every time they do cloth now it is a bulky, poor fitting piece of garbage?

JEDIpartner
07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes!!! I think they are lame!!!

Banthaholic
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm sure it's great for you guys who weren't in the hobby in 1997, or didn't buy enough for whatever reason (Do tell your story - it may be interesting), but I can't use these myself.
I was in the hobby back then but only got one of these guys. The past few years I thought about getting 5 more but the price hasn't been right and the fact that most of my stuff is still packaged and carded having 5 more wasn't a priority.

This is one of those figures I was hoping for a rerelease for a while. I Still would love to see one carded. I've seen customs of these guys on a vintage style card and my mouth waters.

So I'm excited about this set. A) it displays nicely, white mailer boxes doesn;t do justice to figures B) it'll complete the band for me (though like you I agree the band is 6 strong and would have liked a 6-pack (though who wouldn't lol ))

figrin bran
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
tycho, i've been collecting since late 95 but only got one Figrin Dan from the fan club. it's something to do with being a full time student at the time and not having a steady income to waste away on toys ;)

i guess i could've bought more in the ensuing years but i guess i was holding out for a resculpt or repack.

TheDarthVader
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I think that the sets shown so far are crappy. These are supposed to be 30th anniversary sets. They are more like Sam's Club discounted sets. I don't need a stupid tin that has the movie name on it. Hasbro thinks they can just throw a bunch of soft goods cloaks on various jedi, and people will buy them. HA! I am not falling for it. I love soft goods, but, in this case, I am not buying the same figure twice. Hasbro dropped the ball on these "anniversary" sets.

Lazer Brain
07-26-2006, 11:42 AM
YES,they are lame, but the 2pak is a good idea, if we could just get those without the tin.the rots one is the only one i like.
later

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't think they're all that bad. Granted, they could have been better, but for what they are I like them. I can use them for my diorama displays, at least.

According to the pictures, these are the figures:

The Phantom Menace
*Qui-Gon Jinn (Jedi Master from Episode I with new cloak)
*Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi from POTJ with new cloak)
*Darth Maul (Evolutions)
*R2-R9 (repaint of VOTC R2-D2 - NOT the same figure from 1999)

Attack of the Clones
*Anakin Skywalker (Evolutions)
*Count Dooku (Evolutions)
*Jango Fett (Kamino Escape body from Saga, Slave I Pilot legs from Saga, different right wrist/arm)
*Clone Trooper (Evolutions in new paint)

Revenge of the Sith
*Anakin Skywalker (Evolutions)
*Mace Windu (ROTS)
*Yoda (ROTS figure, VOTC cloak - doesn't have a hood)
*AT-RT Driver (ROTS in new paint)

A New Hope
*Darth Vader (Evolutions body with reworked ANH inner cape, deluxe ROTS operating table head with new paint)
*Princess Leia (Early Bird Set)
*C-3PO (VOTC)
*Sandtrooper (Commtech/George Lucas body with Jango head, likely a hole for the backpack)

The Empire Strikes Back
*Luke Skywalker (Hoth Attack from Saga)
*Han Solo (Hoth Rescue from Saga - brown version)
*Chewbacca (VOTC body with new head)
*Snowtrooper (Battle of Hoth body with Jango head)

Return of the Jedi
*Darth Vader (VOTC)
*Scout Trooper (Imperial Patrol from POTJ with new head; also available with Endor AT-AT)
*Endor Rebel Soldier (POTF body with new head)
*Princess Leia (ROTJ Princess Leia Collection)

jedi master sal
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm really torn on these. Of course I'm like most of the rest of you. I like certain figures and those are the either brand new or newly painted versions. The other half of the figures I can deal without. What gets me is the pricepoint. Man for mostly rehashes and a tin, they are asking quite a bit.

For sure I'll get the cantina band. Probably two sets, so I can custom as set for the Bith band in TPM. GO here to see them secifically:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/bith/index.html
Since there were 5 of them as well, two sets will do just fine. I'm okay with having one less band member. Though I may try to go in with 4 other local collectors and get another set so we CAN get a sixth member. But that will mean some are not going to get the right instrument, and I'm not going to customize one of my own.

Generally I think the sets are just a MEH idea. Pricepoint kills it. Rehashes kill it. The needless tins to drive up said pricepoint kills it.

If these would have been truly offered as two-packs, not in a tin, and retailed for $10, then it would have been a good idea. Even then I think there would still be some pegwarmers.

I'm going to wait these out for clearance. Okay, maybe the AOTC I'll get because they are good figures and can replace the crappier versions. I'm not in a rush for the TPM set as I already have them in some form or another and these are no major improvement enough for me to justify buying them for $25. ROTS set...Anakin is okay, the AT-RT driver rocks, but I'd want 10 of him and I"m not paying $250 for 10 sets, just for that figure. I'm not at all digging the OT sets. Jango faces on OT troopers is another "MEH" idea for me. I'm indifferent to them and that's enough to tell me not to buy them. Again not at full retail price. If these sets come down to $15 or less, then yes, I'll get them.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm 99% sure that the Qui-Gon has the head from either the original May 1999 version or the TPM Deluxe version. It didn't look like Pirate Qui-Gon's head to me.

bigbarada
07-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I really wish they had just resculpted the Cantina Band member, since the 1997 figure is pretty inaccurate and crappy looking.

Just make one carded band member, give him bendable knees and all five instruments and you instantly have people buying 5-6 of each of him. Hasbro would make $6-$7 per figure, that's at least $30 total. How much is this five pack going to cost? $20 max?

Look at the improvements made to Hammerhead, Greedo, and Garindan since 1996-97. I think Hasbro could do a much better job on this figure.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm with you Tycho, these Prequel tins we've already seen don't inspire much interest from me, that's why when I wrote the comments about them in the SSG news, I posted only the facts about the figs to let those facts speak for themselves. It's an interesting idea, but seems very limited in appeal and delivery, they didn't really take it to the hoop.

I don't even have that Maul or Dooku, but neither are tempting either which is why I never bought the Sith Evo pack.

That ROTS Anakin appears to have bending knees though - something I've wanted for a long time to help him fit well in my Jedi Starfighter. I might just be able to use this.It's the Evolutions figure, he already has bending knees and you already own him.

There's supposed to be Eps 4,5, & 6 coming.
My guess:
Obi-Wan and Vader
Han & (Chewie, Leia, or stormtrooper, or Boba Fett)
Luke & (Palpatine, Boba Fett, Leia, or R2D2).
I have all of these characters, too.Why are you guessing? You should have seen these at SDCC last week:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4992

BTW, why are there more Leia figures than anybody (except Anakins)?

Jango - different right wrist/armIt's not a different right arm, it's just missing the anchor piece that held the whip-cord in place on the Saga version.

Vader - deluxe ROTS operating table head with new paintWhat? Wow, holy crap, you're right! http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18645&cat=4992

I'm 99% sure that the Qui-Gon has the head from either the original May 1999 version or the TPM Deluxe version. It didn't look like Pirate Qui-Gon's head to me.It's definitely Qui-Gon Jedi Master figure, look at the facial expression and the hair sculpt, I double-checked mine to be sure on this yesterday when I wrote the article below; plus the body is the same too as you can see from the shirt cuffs, the cloth "skirt", and the lack of wrist articulation.
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=189

Droid
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
BTW, why are there more Leia figures than anybody (except Anakins)?

Because we told them we wanted more female figures. :rolleyes:

Hasbro: How many Leias do we have to give you people before you stop asking for female figures?

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Because we told them we wanted more female figures. :rolleyes:

Hasbro: How many Leias do we have to give you people before you stop asking for female figures? Ouch! Daaamn! :p

Rogue II
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Has there been any pictures of the Canitna Band sets yet? They are the only sets that interest me. I have 5 of the POTF2 Cantina Band members, I'm just curious how much they are going to change them.

None of the sets from the movies are all that interesting. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the ROTJ...mostly for the Vader, and I skipped the Leia Collection. I'm not a fan of the flip-up mask on the scout. I would have rather seen the Rebel in Scout disguise from the fan's choice poll. But I understand why they chose the same scout as the new AT-AT.

Tycho
07-26-2006, 05:53 PM
It's the Evolutions figure, he already has bending knees and you already own him.

Actually, I don't own the Anakin Evolutions set. I needed like 4-8 neutral expression Episode 2 Anakins with Jedi Robes and only that 1 E3 Anakin with bending knees (I never noticed he had bending knees in the Evolutions pack) and anyway, I did not need any Darth Vader figures, so I skipped this set, hoping a good carded AOTC Anakin would be issued eventually, as well as a single-carded Anakin from ROTS that I could use as a pilot.

Why are you guessing? You should have seen these at SDCC last week:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4992

I think I walked right by them and ignored them. Selective attention disorder...

Slicker
07-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I think I walked right by them and ignored them. Selective attention disorder...I seem to do the same with most of your posts.:p

dindae
07-27-2006, 12:38 AM
I guess I knew when they announce the price point of $25 bucks not to expect anything. I will get them all mainly for the "new" fiugres but I will use some of the other fiugres to replace some lesser molds. As far as repacks go the evolutions figures are not a bad way to go. The tins are cool in their own right but its a shame they didn't go all out and really make these something cool. But given that these were going to be made up of major characters I guess they would have be hard pressed to blow me out of the water (except maybe the EP1 tins since we don't have any good scuplts of obi wan or qui gon).

And who told Hasbro that it would be a good idea to ever repack VOTC C-3po should be shot.

figrin bran
07-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I seem to do the same with most of your posts.:p

(shush yer mouth Slicker! we want him to think that we actually read through his lists!) :p

jjreason
07-27-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say they're "lame", but I am frustrated by the obvious money grubbing going on here. They KNOW there are those of us out here who are sick - and will be willing to pay pretty much any sum to get "new" figures. By putting a "new" figure (and by new, I mean repainted or kitbashed in each of these case), they're guaranteeing sales of these sure-to-be-expensive items.

Smart marketing, I guess - hopefully I'll have enough jam to fight back by not buying them.

Jargo
07-27-2006, 06:30 AM
iflike me you run a limited budget it pretty much means ignoring sets like these. though the modal nodes is one I'll find the money for even though i hate the soft goods and the fact they skimped on the Omni box again. oh and completely missed the sixth band member. But as it means getting the band in one fell swoop mostly I'll buy that.
there's nothing in the other sets besides the green glooped C-3PO to interest me. and i have enough threepio's now to take some green paing and customise so there goes another tin. the biker scout is ok i suppose, removable helmet vader is ok. leia looks crappy with soft goods. the head on the rebel could be useful for custom figures. I may be tempted by that ROJ tin. but not likely.
I agree that losing the tins and just selling stuff in 2-packs would have been better. The tins look cheap and nasty.
I'd like to see more 2-packs. maybe packaged like the POF" exclusive and mail away figures.

abell748
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Bith only for me! I have 1 of the Fan Club ones so I'll then have the full band. The rest of them left me speechless... I just found it hard to express my disgust. I would only consider the ROTJ pack for the Endor trooper and the biker scout since the prospect of getting it with a $90 AT-AT is a joke. I usually don't wait for clearence, but the rest of the sets are not worth bothering with at $25. $175 for a set of these is messed up.

JON9000
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Unless the production runs are small, I think these will probably go to clearance. Remember the TRU coin exclusives? $10 bucks for mostly rehashed figures, so essentially you were buying a coin. They didn't move, and I'm sure these won't either. $25 for 2 figures is just madness, although they seem to be bringing back some of the best versions. If they would have made Jango a repaint of VOTC Boba, I would have sprung for it.

Like everybody else, I'm looking forward to the Cantina band, but that is going to be a tough catch, as it is an exclusive and a Wal-mart one at that, which means in some places you will see them, others you'll never catch a glimpse.

Devo
07-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Well I was hoping the PT evolutions figures that have been stuck in these sets would actually get single carded release. I may buy the PT sets nonetheless because rehashes though they may be I could do with extras of some of these figures.

I like the OT ones though. Rehashes I know but theres some modifications that make some of the figures unique enough for me. The Hoth Luke for example has new legs that make him suitable for the scene where he struggles through the snowstorm after the wampa attack.

The Chewbacca has a great new headsculpt that has him bellowing skyward which is a distinctly Chewie thing to do which has never been captured by any previous figures. This figure will look good in echo base - such as the scene where they close the doors to the hangar leaving Han&Luke stranded somewhere outside. Another good scene for this figure is the carbon freezing chamber as Han is being lowered into the pit - put Cargo net C-3PO on his back and voila.

The ROTJ set has another VTSC biker scout with flip up visor. Personally I don't care if he looks like Jango, I'll stick him in an endor scene with visor up and it'll add something different. Another new Endor rebel trooper is a good thing, especially with a brand new headsculpt that looks as good as this one does. And I think that POTF2 body still holds up even with its basic articulation. The Leia I'm not positive about until I see it. I'm hoping shes scaled down in line with more recent Leia figures. The soft goods look well done.

And the cantina band will fill in a huge hole in my diorama as I have no previously released Bith figures. New sculpts would have been nice but I guess I'm just happy to have this chance to get Bith figures even in outdated form.

So all-in-all, although I will buy these because I think they have some worthwhile figures in them, I agree that this isn't the 30th anniversary celebratory release we were hoping for. I believe a question was asked in Hasbro's Q&A about whether or not they were doing anything for it and the answer was an enthusiastic 'Yes!!! Stay tuned'. My response to these sets is - Ok good....and?...the new figures?

figrin bran
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
there was a time when walmart.com would sell the exclusives...they haven't done that lately but maybe for the modal nodes set?

Darth Cruel
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Unless the production runs are small, I think these will probably go to clearance. Remember the TRU coin exclusives? $10 bucks for mostly rehashed figures, so essentially you were buying a coin. They didn't move, and I'm sure these won't either. $25 for 2 figures is just madness, although they seem to be bringing back some of the best versions. If they would have made Jango a repaint of VOTC Boba, I would have sprung for it.

Like everybody else, I'm looking forward to the Cantina band, but that is going to be a tough catch, as it is an exclusive and a Wal-mart one at that, which means in some places you will see them, others you'll never catch a glimpse.

2 figures per tin? I thought there were 4, two in each side. Did I see it wrong?

TheDarthVader
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Darth Cruel, you are right. There are four not two figures per set.

Darth Cruel
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah...I just re-checked the Hasbro 'site. And not only did that get reiterated, but it also reminded me that there are 7 sets. 1 per movie and Wal-Mart gets the Model Nodes as an exclusive 7th set. If the price point on these is 25.00...I think it is a great price.

LTBasker
07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
These are $25 each? I thought they were $20, that makes them even worse. At least the modal nodes come out to $5 each for figures most of us didn't have a chance to get. The others are $7.50 each (while slightly over retail, retail is overpriced as it is), but theres only about 2 figures per that are even worth buying. Actually none in the ANH or ESB packs.

I'd rather they release more $20 5-figure battle packs.

jedi master sal
07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
These are $25 each? I thought they were $20, that makes them even worse. At least the modal nodes come out to $5 each for figures most of us didn't have a chance to get. The others are $7.50 each (while slightly over retail, retail is overpriced as it is), but theres only about 2 figures per that are even worth buying. Actually none in the ANH or ESB packs.

I'd rather they release more $20 5-figure battle packs.

Your math is a tad off. Not including the Modal Nodes set we get 4 figures in each set at a cost of $25 per set. That comes to $6.25 per figure. Considering we paid that much for TPM figures and are paying that much or more for single carded figures now, it appears to be a deal, plus you're getting the tin as well. My biggest gripe though is the incessant reissues. I might feel better about the sets if they were $20. This way if we compared them to current retail we might feel like we were buying three figs and getting one free.

At the $25 pricetag, it's hardly a savings and we still have to buy unwanted figures to get the ones we want. I'm going to wait for these to clearance, then the figs I dont want I'm going to donate to a local Children's charity. So at least they will be going to a good cause and I'm pretty certain the kids will enjoy them.

trandoshan666
07-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah...I just re-checked the Hasbro 'site. And not only did that get reiterated, but it also reminded me that there are 7 sets. 1 per movie and Wal-Mart gets the Model Nodes as an exclusive 7th set. If the price point on these is 25.00...I think it is a great price.

I can't seem to find this info on Hasbro's site. Where is it?

BoShek
07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Modal Nodes for me too!

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually, I don't own the Anakin Evolutions set. I needed like 4-8 neutral expression Episode 2 Anakins with Jedi Robes and only that 1 E3 Anakin with bending knees (I never noticed he had bending knees in the Evolutions pack) and anyway, I did not need any Darth Vader figures, so I skipped this set, hoping a good carded AOTC Anakin would be issued eventually, as well as a single-carded Anakin from ROTS that I could use as a pilot.Wow, you didn't buy that set? How weird you are with picky stuff, there's no Ep 2 or Ep 3 Anakin that comes close to the 2 in these sets. I guess you'll have to wait or buy these tins.

I think I walked right by them and ignored them. Selective attention disorder...Weird, they were loose figures, you should have taken notice, that's your thing.

For me, there's nothing appealing to me in these sets, except for Dooku and Maul, I have all these figures in paint jobs I can live with, they don't look "special" enough to warrant getting as a collectible either. The OT sets look better, but even there I'm not really sure yet.

LTBasker
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Your math is a tad off. Not including the Modal Nodes set we get 4 figures in each set at a cost of $25 per set. That comes to $6.25 per figure. Considering we paid that much for TPM figures and are paying that much or more for single carded figures now, it appears to be a deal, plus you're getting the tin as well.

Thanks for the correction, for some reason I just typed out $7.50 and didn't check it, as I mentioned only about two figures per set are even worth getting anyways. While the tin is a "bonus", it doesn't actually have a purpose. It'd be different if the tin opened into a playset sort of thing for the figures.

Turbowars
07-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Return of the Jedi
*Scout Trooper (Imperial Patrol from POTJ with new head; also available with Endor AT-AT)
I asked about this and the hasbro rep Mark at the con told me that the POTJ version with less artic will only be packed with the AT-At and the Scout in the Tin will be the SA version from the Vintage line. Hopefully he wasn't on crack.:p When I was talking with him for a good amount of time he was asked the same question 4 times by other collectors.

Tycho
07-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow, you didn't buy that set? How weird you are with picky stuff, there's no Ep 2 or Ep 3 Anakin that comes close to the 2 in these sets. I guess you'll have to wait or buy these tins.

I don't actually think I'll have to wait long. Every year there's Star Wars figures we'll get one version of Anakin or another - or several actually. So I won't need the tins, the Evolutions, I'll just wait. Besides, those neutral expression Anakins were to go with Padme figures they do not yet make, so I have no hurry. I was going to have small scenes of the kiss on the balcony, the picnic by the waterfalls, the secret by the fireside, etc. - as well as groups in Padme's apartment, etc. I don't need Anakin scowling for those scenes as if he's in battle.

Weird, they were loose figures, you should have taken notice, that's your thing.

I really tend to ignore figures I already have. In the above case, I really should be paying attention to some AOTC Anakins and Obi-Wans, but other than that, I don't care what they do to improve the next Luke Tatooine or Cantina Han Solo, etc. It just doesn't register with me - but I'd notice Elris Helrot in a second.

JON9000
07-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, if it's $25 for four figures that isn't too bad, and while they may be rehashes, at least it isn't ROTS whomever for the bazillionth time. The evolutions figures were great and so were a lot of VOTC (although VOTC 3po? He sucks). I think these figures will do okay.

Blue2th
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Even though I no longer collect everything Star Wars (I think that was Ep. 1) I do like the tin boxes. I suppose I will buy them for the tins and repaints. I have all of the repacked figures, so I'll give those away or sell em. The Cantina band is a must for me. I wonder what that tin looks like? I didn't look at the backside of that one at SDCC and I've seen pictures of the other ones.

DarkArtist
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I actually like these sets but my problem will be the storage space. I am torn between just getting one set of each and opening them or getting two sets and keeping one sealed.
As far as the figures, yes it is a shame that they are for the most part repacks of figures that almost everyone has but, I still want them.

Adam
07-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Not sure on these. I don't own a the majority of them, and I like some of the troop figures. (Could do with out the Endor one though, not particular to that version of it..) I'll probably cave and get these. :rolleyes:

Banthaholic
07-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I like the two pack idea alot. The tins like the Target cups, I have no real thrill in getting. Sure they'll all end up in my collection, I'd rather have something more worthwile included.

Instead of tins why not have the 2-packs in the inside of a display stand (similar to the vintage figure cases) While they would's function as a case, you could flip them over and have some pegs for an aciton figure display stand.

figrin bran
07-28-2006, 01:11 AM
if any of you buy the sets but don't want the tins, i'll probably be willing to pay you for them. like i said, i could use them to store loose figures and accessories.

jedi master sal
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
While the tin is a "bonus", it doesn't actually have a purpose. It'd be different if the tin opened into a playset sort of thing for the figures.

See, now that would be a "smart" idea...

At the least they could give us some form of a backdrop for the characters. The tin could include one BIG stand in which to put each figure, then you could insert a cardboard backdrop in the back of the stand to create a mini diorama of sorts. That's not too expensive. Heck the stands are either easy molds or vacuum formed and the cardboard backdrops are cheap enough to produce. So even if something small like that was done, it "might" have made these an easier pill to swallow.

-Sal

Droid
07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Besides, those neutral expression Anakins were to go with Padme figures they do not yet make, so I have no hurry. I was going to have small scenes of the kiss on the balcony, the picnic by the waterfalls, the secret by the fireside, etc. - as well as groups in Padme's apartment, etc. I don't need Anakin scowling for those scenes as if he's in battle.

You really make dioramas of the iconic scenes, don't you? :rolleyes:

figrin bran
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
and we expect hasbro to be "smart"? ;)

i had this dream the other night where i picked up another carded R5-D4 only on this one, the backgrounds were 3D cardboard pop up shapes.

it would be a great idea sal but unfortunately, it's just that - an idea.

Darth Cruel
07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I can't seem to find this info on Hasbro's site. Where is it?

I will edit a link into this post in a minute.

Sorry...it was starwars.com

http://starwars.com/community/event/con/f20060718/indexp4.html

trandoshan666
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the link, DC very interesting reading.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I asked about this and the hasbro rep Mark at the con told me that the POTJ version with less artic will only be packed with the AT-At and the Scout in the Tin will be the SA version from the Vintage line. Hopefully he wasn't on crack.:p When I was talking with him for a good amount of time he was asked the same question 4 times by other collectors.You can see in the SDCC photos that the tin version is indeed the VTSC figure's body with all its articulation glory. Here's a few good closeup shots of this: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18652&cat=4992
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18619&cat=4992
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=18617&cat=4992

Bacta Beast
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
No! Any opportunity to get extras of the "Evo" figs are cool with me!

Jargo
07-28-2006, 05:38 PM
I'll be dumping the tin from the band set. ugly looking is what they are. I actualy think the tins look cheap and nasty. the figures might look cool but the packaging is lousy. The band would have been better sold in a mailer box like the sandtrooper, stormtrooper and rebel endor trooper army builders.

Bacta Beast
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
That's the only one I plan on not getting. They did release that once as a set already. The sculpt sucks and I can't believe they didn't at least modify it. We need at least one of them setting. I feel the same about the Death Star conference set. They can't set right! Otherwise I look forward to all the announced sets.

Jargo
07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm of the opinion that all the figures should have knee joints. As standard.

jedi master sal
07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
I agre Mr. DP. At the least figures from the movie that have action sequences that require them to use their knees, ie. sitting, running, fighting, etc., should have knee joints. Understandable that small characters like Yoda, Eoks and jawas wouldn't, but those are the exceptions.

With regards to the Death Star conference set it's ludicrious to think that they would give us this set without knee joints. As I've lamented all to frequently as of late Hasbro is cutting corners. Okay so they are reusing molds to save money. Fine, but why not new legs?? Heck for the most part they just needed to do one set of new legs that could have applied to all of those officers in the set. Then just color them differently as needed. Fairly quick and easy solution. And please no haters saying it takes a year to develope stuff. If the people in the SW division of Hasbro don't have the fore-sight to do something special for the 30th anniversary, then Hasbro need to replace them. What we are seeing for the 30 Anni is lackluster at best. I as well as I'm sure many of you wanted to see a Star Wars (A New Hope) product intensive year. The Death Star conference would have been one step (but with knee joints). Fleshing out the cantina scene with more alien figures and the curved bar section would have been another. Cut scene figures like Academy Biggs would have helped and so on. Then in 2009 product could have been intensive for TPM's 10th Anni. 2010 ESB, 2012 AOTC, 2013 ROTJ and finally 2015 ROTS. In the meantime those in between years could have have one/two wave(s) each from each movie. Consist each wave of 6 figures not location specific unless enough characters are thought of to call for it.

In this respect a long term plan that incorporates all of the movies as well as the anniversaries would help to keep the line moving until at least close to the end of Hasbro's contract with LFL.

This next year feels uninspried with regards to the 30th aniversary.

My own opinion is that this should be the anniversary of the original movie and NOT the whole saga. That just doesn't play well with the masses I believe. If it would have been SW (ANH) intensive, it might have brought back the throng of people who liked the originals only.

I'm not saying the WHOLE year needed to be dedicated to the original movie, just a significant portion, marketed as such and gradually over the course of the year interspersed with product from the other movies and EU. This way consumers wouldn't get bored of one specific movie toys. It could be say the first 5 months (to coincide with the movie release date) that a movies anniversary year has intensive product during that time, then from June on a mix of all of the movies.

For those saying "but we'd have to wait until 2015 for ROTS stuff," I say you haven't been fully reading this post. Interspersed with anniversary years and non anniversary years product from ALL of the movies would be introduced. As we get closer to 2015 it would be very doubtful that Hasbro would have many new characters to choose from. They could simply rerelease popular-well made figures.

I'm not goign to kid myself and think Hasbro is going to continue to make 60-70 figures per year for another 9 years.

I see 2008, 2009 having maybe 50 figs, then 2010-2012 maybe 40 figs each (even with them being anniversary years), then 2013-2015 no more than 30 figures. And undoubtedly many figures as time goes on are going to be reissues. I'm just hoping for something special in the anniversary years.

For TPM in 2009 we could have:
SA Qui-gon, Obi-wan (though it's hoped for sooner), Sith Infilltrator, Gungan bongo, Droid transport (the open one able to hold 6-8 battle droids-comes with droid pilot.

For ESB in 2010 we could have:
New Bespin guards, ICMG...heh heh, twin pod cloud car

For AOTC in 2002 we could have:
AT-frickin'-TE (AT-TE) Solar sailor with droid, Nute gunray's ship, reissues of the SA clone, red battle droid (EPI sculpt with good plastic)-maybe in mega packs for army building

For ROTJ in 2013 we could have:
Ewok celebration set with Mother Ewok and Wokling, various unproduced Rebels as not yet made, Beared Rebel trooper for instance and maybe even a force ghost Hayden-Anakin, a good Jabba's palace set or his Sailbarge or a Sarlaac pit set.

For ROTS in 2015 we could have:
Grevious ship, V-wing fighter, Outlander club patron set (some new aliens please), funeral Padme, Vader on floating medical capsule. Correctly scale Grievous (though again hoped for MUCH sooner than this).

It just seems like Hasbro doesn't have any long term plans and is rushing TOO much to get product out, that much of what they put out is unwanted or very much mixed in review.

Maybe we as collectors would want to wait that long for some of this stuff, but I'm betting that if hasbro stated somethign as proposed above as a long term stratedgy that we'd get used to it (of course there would be the obligatory complaining-as I'm sure there's going to be of this post as well), but at least we would know that certain long awaited toys were finally going to be produced. Having these long term plans by Hasbro would mean they wouldl have the time to really research and develope these toy inexpensively but as accurately as possible. Mayeb even in those anniversary years those special item might cost a little more but we'd get something more for them like electronic and/or proper scaling for the vehicles and super articulation for figures.

So waht say you Hasbro, is there any long term goal? If you are really listening to us, then show it. Not by cracking jokes at our expense, but giving us product that we've been begging for for years.

Tycho
07-29-2006, 09:38 AM
You really make dioramas of the iconic scenes, don't you? :rolleyes:

One criteria for scenes I'm going to do is "figures not yet made before."

I want all the unproduced Padme figures. I buy anything I buy to display them. Who will I display her with? Queen Jamilla, a freighter full of aliens and a 4 or 6 armed server droid along with Anakin Outland Peasant Disguise for a couple of Padmes for example. But most of her figures go with Anakin in one form or another.

When I buy a figure, I purchase the extras I may need for scenes I anticipate eventually doing - with Padme figures not yet made in this case. However, most if not all single-carded Anakins that have been made available, had angry scowls on his face - or if not - an action-posed billowing Jedi cloak versus a neutral hanging one (and I loved how they fit the robe to a very Vader-reminiscient form on him).

But back in the day, before they made Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, I collected an extra Luke Tatooine, C-3PO, R2D2, R5D4, and some Jawas in anticipation of setting up a purchase of the droids. Soon after, a cinema scene by that name was issued, and a year later, we had Aunt Beru as well.

Padme's outfits, especially ones like the Black Leather and the Yellow See-Through Dress are bright and iconic (to use your word). I'll need Anakin figures to go with her (actually I think I saved the Saga SA Anakin for Padme Black Leather as he doesn't require a cloak - same with the Yellow Dress - but in her apartment (the Senator Padme figure not yet made) he (and Obi-Wan) are wearing their Jedi robes. At this point, it'd be easy for Hasbro to do a AOTC head-swap with Pilot Obi-Wan Kenobi from ROTS to make the AOTC one with longer hair. I don't want to customize it myself as it'll leave me with an extra kit-bashed Obi-Wan that I don't need (with ROTS hair). I'd rather Hasbro make this so I can buy 1 figure versus 2 needed to make just (1) I want.

Droid
07-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Just teasing you, Tycho. I used to do the same thing until I gave up, but that is why I have 10 or so of the first Chewie, Vader, R2, and 3P0, because I planned to bulid scenes. Every time they made a figure from a new scene I wanted to flesh out the scene that figure was in. But it got to be too much and I realized I never set up more than one or two scenes at a time anyway. Now I only buy one of a figure, maybe three if it is a trooper like the blue or red Episode III clones.

Tycho
07-29-2006, 11:31 AM
My goal is to own a large home where I can keep all my dioramas I'll build still standing - thus I bought like 30 Qui-Gon Jinns from the E1 line for example (mixed between Naboo, FJD, Tatooine, softgoods, deluxe, etc - so it isn't all of the exact same figure).

So I hear what you mean by buying multiples of Chewbacca etc. Aside from height improvements and articulation, the occasional Cloud City C-3PO accessory or Kashyyyk weapon, Chewie doesn't change much. It's the same with Anakin (relative to each movie).

Blackened88
07-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Well im screwed, i want 5 white AT-RT Drivers, now what?

Tycho
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Well im screwed, i want 5 white AT-RT Drivers, now what?

One year or another, Hasbro will probably card them.

A few years from now, eBay sellers will have less than good clues how to sell them and they'll split the set up without the tin.

Patience pays off in this hobby. I'm not running around buying Senate battle packs to get the pod cars. In fact, I don't even really like Hasbro's pod cars for an actual Galactic Senate scene. I'll see what comes or make my own.

Rogue II
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, I finally saw some pictures of the Cantina Band tin. Did they do anything besides change the cloaks from plastic to fabric? I was lucky enough to get the band the first time around, so maybe I won't bother with these after all. Maybe I can use the money I won't spend on these tins on something I don't have like the Imperial Shuttle.

dindae
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
It looks like they added better paint detail on the intruments but I can't tell much more since I haven't seen any really good close pics of the new set.

stad
08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm not goign to kid myself and think Hasbro is going to continue to make 60-70 figures per year for another 9 years.

I see 2008, 2009 having maybe 50 figs, then 2010-2012 maybe 40 figs each (even with them being anniversary years), then 2013-2015 no more than 30 figures. And undoubtedly many figures as time goes on are going to be reissues. I'm just hoping for something special in the anniversary years.

I really think you are kidding yourself if you think they will even be making figures for another 9 years. Honestly, how long did the original line last after the movies were done? And that was in a different toy market than the one we have now. I'm personally thankful for every year we get anything from here on out.

Of course, if the TV shows materialize, and they are successful, that could be the difference.

In any case, the time for an AT-TE is nearly gone, in which they could sell enough units to justify the expense. Maybe another year or two on that one, at best. But three or more years from now? No way.

Blue2th
08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I really think you are kidding yourself if you think they will even be making figures for another 9 years. Honestly, how long did the original line last after the movies were done?

Of course, if the TV shows materialize, and they are successful, that could be the difference.

That's the thing. Lucas can afford to hire the best people to do the Animated and Live Action TV series. There is really no reason why the SW Saga can't be a continuing success. If not then they let it fail. Just think of all the old and new characters that can be made into toys. I hope we get alot of new stuff as well as some of the vehicles that have not been made like the AT-TE, which will still be in service chronologically speaking during the Clone Wars when the Animated series takes place.

Jargo
08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
hasbro will keep making as long as people keep buying. and if people are still baying for figures of characters after 29 years then I see no reason why people wouldn't still be doing so in years to come.

the only reason the line would fail is if no new product appeared and it really was the same old same old time and again. Which there is a danger of it looking like.

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I plan on still buying pretty much every basic figure to come out, I don't know why I do, I just enjoy having them to display someday and then give to my children sometime. I mean with Hasblow having the license until 2018(?) you figure(no pun intended) that they will make figures every year, whether it be re-hashes or just plain new figures, (Yarna!)

Luuuuuuke
08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Hasbro's sales would pretty much be in the toilet if it wasn't for Star Wars. That's their bread and butter. Until Hasbro finds another ho to pimp, they're going to keep riding Star Wars. In a manner of speaking.

I collect probably about 65 to 70% of the figures they put out, but mostly skip rehashes, even the really expertly done Garindan and Hammerhead. But I make up for it through moderate clonetrooper army building.

Banthaholic
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
As long as they keep making 'em I'll also keep buyin 'em. I couldn't imagine not having anything more coming out, what a somber thought.

Hasbro has got to be pleased with the SW line. It consistantly sells during all months of the year. Heck I wonder how Mattel feels about the Superman line.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Heck I wonder how Mattel feels about the Superman line.

The title says it all: "Superman Returns." ;)

JON9000
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, I finally saw some pictures of the Cantina Band tin. Did they do anything besides change the cloaks from plastic to fabric? I was lucky enough to get the band the first time around, so maybe I won't bother with these after all. Maybe I can use the money I won't spend on these tins on something I don't have like the Imperial Shuttle.

I just sold my original cantina band in order to have money for the new one. Those old guys just never wanted to stand up on their own. I'm hopeful the new ones will.

kool-aid killer
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I only ever got one cantina member, so im thrilled that i will be able to get them all at once. With the one i have, i can convert him to a Jedi. I like the tins with the Evolutions Anakins too, since i never picked them up. As with all the things Hasbro makes, its up to you whether you want to buy it or not. They work for me.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Newies...well I guess I'll be happy for you.

One thing's for sure - you won't have a lot of us old-boys disrupting your toy run for the Star Wars isle.

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Hasbro's sales would pretty much be in the toilet if it wasn't for Star Wars. That's their bread and butter. Until Hasbro finds another ho to pimp, they're going to keep riding Star Wars. In a manner of speaking.SW sales are what's in the toilet, the company has been holding itself up the last few quarters thanks to Transformers, Nerf, Littlest Pet Shop, Magic the Gathering, Supersoaker, and Board games.

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I just sold my original cantina band in order to have money for the new one. Those old guys just never wanted to stand up on their own. I'm hopeful the new ones will.

It's been a while since I set mine up, so I don't remember if I had the same problem. I probably had them on stands. If Hasbro using the same mold as the original, can they fix the balance? I suppose changing their cloaks from plastic to fabric might have some effect.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Star Wars' future:

- rehashes - they can improve Darth Maul again, but while youngsters never got the figure before (due to Ages 4 & Up), only so many newbies are going to be interested. Old school fans have enough Luke Tatooines, and newbie fans won't be having kids of their own for in between 5 to 15 years from now.

- the TV series - aside from the unique look of Cartoon Network's Clone Wars series, I don't see how new "virtual-real" looking sculpts of Obi-Wan and Anakin are going to interest me. In fact, the Clone Wars series coming fall of 2007 only excites me as a curiousity right now. C4 might expose us to more material to salivate over (Sansweet promised at Comic Con), but we shall see.

- the live-action series - here there is some potential, but not until 2008? People are going to be asking "what was Star Wars?" by then and I don't know if even Indianna Jones could dig it up. However, Hasbro might be smart to hold out until they could see what a line of figures would do for them then.

- never-made-before figures - here all the old school team will buy - oddities like the Ice Cream Maker Guy whom Hasbro might incurr more costs producing than it will recover in revenue from selling. We'll see about Yarna to the Dead Jawas and everything in between. There are figures like Jango out of armor that would fare better than Dead Owen and Dead Beru (un...probably).

JON9000
08-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I think you are totally wrong on the "newie" bit.

Fans and long-time collectors have shown a willingness to purchase new versions of figures they already have if the newer model is a decided improvement over what has existed heretofore. I myself purchase by this standard: is it $5 better than what I have now? (Because 99% of the modern stuff will never be worth much). VTSC biker Scout, yes, Greedo, no. The Cantina Band was released as an EXCLUSIVE nearly TEN years ago. They are due for a remake, for those who want better, and the many who weren't in the hobby back in the crustaceous era.

Hasbro has been judicious about mixing new figures with redos. And despite what you think, I see a lot more Hem Dazons and Lushros Dofines (new) on the pegs than I do R5s or Hammerheads, so somebody is obviously buying them.

And with these tins- the Evolutions line had some of the best versions ever. They were in stores for like 3 weeks around here in the heat of the ROTS glut. Maybe if you wouldn't buy 800 ROTS Anakins right at the movie's release, you would feel better about getting newer versions later.

One day, Hasbro will make the ice cream guy for you. Sheesh.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Alright, I concede you made some good points, especially about Hem being more readily found than Momaw or R5D4. Perhaps, trilogy purists don't like Hem because his whole body was never shown in the movie, therefore a lot of what he is in a figure, is EU? I can't answer that one. Only I reacted differently and bought 8 Hem Dazons and Zero (0) R5D4's. That's just me though.

I think you are totally wrong on the "newie" bit.

Fans and long-time collectors have shown a willingness to purchase new versions of figures they already have if the newer model is a decided improvement over what has existed heretofore. I myself purchase by this standard: is it $5 better than what I have now? (Because 99% of the modern stuff will never be worth much).

The new R5D4 is $5 better than what I've had since 1997, but I just don't want un-used, unsellable '97's taking up space here, plus they are nostalgic pieces from nearly a decade ago now. Might as well keep them and save $5 ($6.18 actually) today.

The Cantina Band was released as an EXCLUSIVE nearly TEN years ago. They are due for a remake, for those who want better, and the many who weren't in the hobby back in the crustaceous era.

First, I totally would bet on you all getting the exact same figures (maybe with or without cloth accents) as we did in 1997. I wouldn't be surprised one bit! Second, I agree with you that there are those in the hobby now (sorry I don't know your personal story JON) who were not able to order the 20 or 30 CBM's that I did back in the day where I spent my days and dollars ordering the darn things.

Hasbro has been judicious about mixing new figures with redos. And despite what you think, I see a lot more Hem Dazons and Lushros Dofines (new) on the pegs than I do R5s or Hammerheads, so somebody is obviously buying them.

I already agreed with you there. For Hem Dazon - I don't have an answer. He won many collectors' polls as "most wanted." However, he is not pegwarming. He's available. Lushros Dofine is pegwarming! I don't know what it is with Niemoidians? I think because they are cowards that kids don't want him. Perhaps because they are (or could be) salt-shakers, figure afficianados aren't too keen on them? I don't know. But there is a difference there between Hem and Lushros. Fortunately, Hasbro continues to ship Heroes and Villains and Ultimate Battles of Episode 3 cases and people accessorizing their figures they do want could use Lushros. The stores need to back-stock him a little to make him look scarce, then it will cause the figure to sell. For all the nay-saying about AOTC Aunt Beru, Shmi Skywalker was never pegwarming, and especially like Lushros Dofine! It disheartens me though, because the result has all but killed my hopes to see Daultay Dofine or Tey How.

Maybe if you wouldn't buy 800 ROTS Anakins right at the movie's release, you would feel better about getting newer versions later.

It wasn't that: it was that I didn't need ANY Darth Vader figures, basically - so the Evolutions set was already $6 too expensive for something I didn't need. Unfortunately, that proved to be wrong as I think I did buy 1 or 2 Darth Vader ROTS figures, as it was really nice. If I could do that over, I'd have left the Vaders behind and gotten the Evolutions. I don't think the E-figures came out on April 2nd, else I might've had a plan to purchase the Anakin set then. I'd have cut back on E3 Anakin figures as well. But to get as many E2 Anakins from Ev's as I might've needed (for dubious scenes as the Padmes for those scenes have never been planned to this day yet), I still would have ended up with 3-4 Darth Vaders that I couldn't use.

One day, Hasbro will make the ice cream guy for you. Sheesh.

I'd like that in a fortune cookiee please :D

It's not just TICMG,

it's:

AOTC Beru
AOTC Owen
ROTS Queen of Alderaan
AOTC Queen Jamilla
Jango Fett out of Armor
Mos Eisley Cantina Saurin
Wioslea
Biggs Darklighter in Academy Uniform (I know it's rumored)
Sgt. Doallyn
Woof
Slim Aloo
Black Bespin Security Guard
Lando in Smuggler's Gear
Luke end of ESB
Leia end of ESB
Warok
Romba
Lumat
Paploo (decent resculpt)

I could go on about 200 times. Luke Tatooine would not be on my list. A certain AOTC Anakin Skywalker actually would be - I'll give you that.

But I do my best to check rumor lists and upcoming figure pics on the web, before I go out and buy 30 of a new character (and even if nothing's revealed I generally buy half that (15 or so) because I expect the resculpts and re-releases - like the Sith Eyes Anakin for the 3 3/4" and the kicking Obi-Wan figure that came out later.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I think the tins had good potential, and at least they're rehashing some of the Evolution's figs...but for those of us in tight $$$ times who couldn't afford those sets, these will be just as impossible to purchase....

pbarnard
08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I think the completist will buy them because. Depending on the artwork of the tins, that will attract another set, finally, the only one I can see attracting people for just the figures are the Cantina band set.

JON9000
08-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Perhaps, trilogy purists don't like Hem because his whole body was never shown in the movie, therefore a lot of what he is in a figure, is EU? I can't answer that one. Only I reacted differently and bought 8 Hem Dazons and Zero (0) R5D4's. That's just me though.

I think the overall perception of the "importance" of figures from the OT is driven by a lot of factors besides the movie. You'd have to be watching pretty closely to catch both Hem Dazon and Hammerhead, and you don't really see the clothing on either. Yet, if you asked people who were a bit more casual about it than us, almost all would say Hammerhead is featured much more prominently than Hem, and of course we know the Hammerhead wears short pants.

Why? Because Hammerhead has 30 years of action figures behind him. Tons of kids remember him and know his name from the figure, and when they see the movie later in life they say to themselves, "hey, I had that guy." That sort of thing really snowballs, he's even featured in E.T.! He's also one of the more interesting looking aliens. It's a nostalgia thing, I guess.

as to the shorts, that's only because we've grown up with the notion from the vintage figure itself. Weird how it sort of creates our reality. I actually would dig a modern Hammerhead wearing a blue tunic, just for old times sake. There's an idea for a custom!

Hem's main feature is his head too, but the head on the figure is pretty tiny.

The new R5D4 is $5 better than what I've had since 1997, but I just don't want un-used, unsellable '97's taking up space here, plus they are nostalgic pieces from nearly a decade ago now. Might as well keep them and save $5 ($6.18 actually) today.

That's why I sold my original cantina band members, I don't have space and I want the updates. But from what I can tell, R5 looks like the awesomest droid to date. That is good, because when you think about it, he was featured fairly prominently for a droid. And he had a vintage counterpart as well. I think that whole nostalgia thing for vintage applies here, too.

Luuuuuuke
08-04-2006, 03:34 PM
If I buy one of those tins it will be the one with the white AT-RT driver. And I definitely won't buy more than one unless they go on sale.

Though I kind of like the idea of a very small band of white AT-RT clones to go with the Galactic Marines (you know, the whole snow theme).

DarthQuack
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm just itching to get the Modal Nodes, I can still remember missing out on them in the Insider back in the day.

2-1B
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
The figures suck but the tins are fantastic.

evenflow
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I plan on just getting the ROTJ set so i dont have to buy another At-At and possible the band just for fun. I alreayd have six from the fan club days though.

JediTricks
08-12-2006, 11:55 PM
After posting the pics of the OT tins (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=240) yesterday, I can honestly say I'm tempted to get the ANH and ROTJ ones even though I still think the concept is lame.

ANH set has a clean Sandtrooper which means he converts to a clean Stormtrooper (VOTC-body!), and that kitbashed Evolutions Vader, and Early Bird Kit Leia whom I don't have.

ESB is the weakest of the trio, VOTC Chewie has a new roaring face but I don't really dig it, and I don't need the others - I have brown coat Han, I don't want another of that horrible Saga Snowtrooper body (removable helmet or not), and the Luke repaint does nothing for me.

ROTJ has that silly soft goods Leia, but the other 3 are quite acceptable... dang, I think I never actually returned the VOTC Vader I got with the broken leg.

plasticfetish
08-13-2006, 02:21 AM
The figures suck but the tins are fantastic.Hahaha! (I haven't thought about these sets much, but it was funny ending on that after just reading through nine pages of comments.)

The whole "tin" idea is really tacky as far as I'm concerned. It seems like a display only item, and I don't really feel the need to display any of these figures. (Maybe if/when they go on clearance for $5 I'll pick up the set with R2-R9.)

For whatever reason, I never ended up with any of the cantina band members, so I'll make the trip to Wal*Mart for those I guess.

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Hopefully these Hasbro WM-exclusive cantina members will be easier to find than the previous ones. :p

(the 12" line's cantina members were WM exclusives and REALLY hard to find.)

2-1B
08-13-2006, 04:26 AM
I was being serious! I have all kinds of tins on a shelf, from trading card tins to M&M tins. I really think the tins are the cool part of this campaign. :)

plasticfetish
08-13-2006, 08:04 AM
...it's just not what I expected to read from you. (I have a lot of those tins also, most the Topps ones though.)

El Chuxter
08-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Hopefully these Hasbro WM-exclusive cantina members will be easier to find than the previous ones. :p

(the 12" line's cantina members were WM exclusives and REALLY hard to find.)

Man, LA must suck! These were another WM exclusive that was clearanced to a ridiculously low price and still sat on the shelves for a month or two in SW VA.

figrin bran
08-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Man, LA must suck! These were another WM exclusive that was clearanced to a ridiculously low price and still sat on the shelves for a month or two in SW VA.

LA area WM's are the pits. i've never even seen the exclusive unleashed wave.

Kidhuman
08-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Really, I saw them all on clearance tonight in West Virginia.

El Chuxter
08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
What were you doing in West Virginia? If it involves 13 year old cousins, dude, don't tell me.

Apologies to anyone actually from WV. I know it's a mean stereotype, but just can't help myself.

Kidhuman
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I have to drive out ot Bluefiled to meet my stepkids Dad to pick them up, so I stopped off at PRinceton WM on the way back.