PDA

View Full Version : Future Price Estimates

kr2003
07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Im sure its hard to tell but does anybody have an estimate price esculation figure for the saga figures? Will they become as sought after as the original 1977 vinatage figures? Im sure most of you know a carded skywalker fetches approx $800, £400. Can we expect the same in 20 or so years?

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I seriously doubt it. The figures in 1977 weren't widely collected and kept in packaging, which is why they're rare. There are tons of the new figures being left on their cards, so it's unlikely they'll increase in price as much as the older toys.

Slicker
07-26-2006, 05:34 PM
And also the fact that tons of people actually think these will sell for big bucks later is laughable. I've got well over $10,000 invested and if I tried to sell my collection as a lump on eBay I'd be uber lucky to get $2,000. I don't plan on selling it and I don't plan it ever being worth more that I've paid for it. I have fun with it and that's what I'm about.:thumbsup:

kr2003
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Good point there Slicker! Do you have a photo thread with your collection in? Be great to see what $10,000 gets you! Would any of you consider getting your saga collection AFA graded? Or is it not worth the money?

Slicker
07-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Good point there Slicker! Do you have a photo thread with your collection in? Be great to see what $10,000 gets you! The best I could do ya for would be to take a picture of a storage garage full of boxes that contain my collection. :D

Would any of you consider getting your saga collection AFA graded? Or is it not worth the money?If you search around you'll find a couple of threads on this. I personally think it's useless to an extent. If you have an impossible exclusive then I say maybe get it graded but most people do it because you make a hefty profit over regular figures.

These things are only gonna be worth what someones willing to pay.

kr2003
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah tht'd be great to see! Does your collection span 1977-2006? Sorry for going off topic on this thread. Always interesting to hear about other peoples collections!
As far as AFA grading goes, I think its a good way of increasing the value; Ive seen some saga figures graded @ 95 AFA going for £50/$92. Im sceptical as to if it will sell? Gonna keep my eye on a few auctions to see, Ill keep the forum well posted on that one! Does anybody know of any books/magazines with guide prices in for the collection? Ive seen lots about for older figures (e.g vintage figures) but nothing for more modern figures.
The only reason I would sell some of my collection is to purchase other more rare items; like you say Slicker no fun if its all about the $$$$

Turbowars
07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I think the only figures worth getting graded are Vintage one's and I still don't think I would do it. I have been doing this crap for so long I can grade my own cards. It does not take a rocket scientist to do so.

Slicker
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah tht'd be great to see! Does your collection span 1977-2006? Sorry for going off topic on this thread. Always interesting to hear about other peoples collections! I've got a paltry vintage collection (7 measily carded figures) but I've got nearly everything from POTF2 on plus magazines, displays, you name it.

Does anybody know of any books/magazines with guide prices in for the collection? Ive seen lots about for older figures (e.g vintage figures) but nothing for more modern figures.I used to look in Toyfare for that but I haven't gotten an issue in so long that I doubt they do it anymore. The vast amount of collectibles would take up too much room in the price guide. I also think Wizard did it too. There are a couple of more that I know for a fact have price guides covering everything but I can't think of them right now.

Crap in a hat. The one that I was tryin' to think of is Lee's.

jedi master sal
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
The best I could do ya for would be to take a picture of a storage garage full of boxes that contain my collection. :D

Ha, I hear ya Slicker. I just moved out another 6 tubs worth of stuff to my storage unit. If I don't get pics of that, then I could take pics of my spreadsheets....heh heh.

I've got maybe 8 tubs left in the house. Once those are cataloged, that's it. Then it's just whatever the most recent buys are.

Kidhuman
07-26-2006, 07:32 PM
My collections ranges from 1977 up until present times. I do have some photos in this thread here:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31654&

I have a Vintage Ewok Village and Jabbas palace pics in there.

Rocketboy
07-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Im sure its hard to tell but does anybody have an estimate price esculation figure for the saga figures? Will they become as sought after as the original 1977 vinatage figures? Im sure most of you know a carded skywalker fetches approx $800, £400. Can we expect the same in 20 or so years?Sure, and my copy of Superman #75 will will sell for a few thousand. :D

As others said, anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. Price guides seem pretty dumb to me these days. Just scout ebay for a while and see ow much Product X generally sells for - much more reliable than any price guide. Just have fun with it.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I remember Superman #75. It sold out before it hit shelves, and folks were willing to pay over $100 for first printings a week later. I saw several retailers at Comic-Con who couldn't get rid of them for $1 last week.

Same dealio with New Mutants #87 (the first appearance of Cable). One guy had it for $15, and an additional 50% off (so $7.50). Ten years ago, it commanded almost twenty times that.

Sometimes people get caught up in the collecting, and create artificially inflated prices for a short time. But when the production run is high, manufacturers and stores are (generally) more cognizant of the importance of condition, and a higher percentage are "collected" rather than "played with" or "read" (all of which apply to recent "event" comics and SW figures), the price will rather quickly come back in line with reality.

Does this mean Incredible Hulk #181 or the vinyl-cape Jawa are going to go down in price? No. I'd wager more than 95% of those were used, abused, and often eventually discarded, so there are far fewer to go around, and even fewer in "collectible" condition.

If you're planning to pay for your kids' college by collecting just about anything nowadays, I recommend you check out mutual funds or certificates of deposit instead.

trandoshan666
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Price guides are fun to look at, but most are pretty unrealistic in my experience. I would just monitor items on eBay that are in comparable condition. That should paint a pretty accurate picture of figures' actual market values.

bobafrett
07-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Good point there Slicker! Do you have a photo thread with your collection in? Be great to see what $10,000 gets you! Would any of you consider getting your saga collection AFA graded? Or is it not worth the money?

My collection photos (at my old apartment) can be seen here:

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3774

Or for more recent pictures from about a year ago:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?shopperid=61LFR9MC3GXB8LFRVMUL58Q4CB 9N2W9D&userid=bobafrett&album_id=104013&curpage=2

I have also undertaken photographing each item in my collection, but I haven't worked on that for some time.

timmae
07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
toys are like the stock market. that is why you should only buy what you like(with the exception of headphones etc). i'm with slicker, i've got 10k in my 2k collection. sometimes i get 2 or 3 from a wave(then you got the price of the starcases). the endor wave i may just get one. how many vaders, hans etc do you really need?

dindae
07-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Does anybody know of any books/magazines with guide prices in for the collection?

The latest Toyfare did a complete price guide for the whole line. It is laughable to think you could sell every figure for as much or more than retail but it's there.

KH are you Comcastic? :p

kr2003
07-27-2006, 04:47 AM
Dindae, Which issue is the latest from toyfare? Is it 109? Im trying to find a UK source for a copy so I dont have to pay big bucks for shipping. Been asking around and the general consensus seems to be around £20 full cost per figure for AFA grading. Any other UK collectors on the forum that have used the service? Or better still know of a UK grading company? 50-60 business day turn-around from AFA is such a long time. I could be dead in 10 weeks! :P

dindae
07-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah it is 109. The same one that announces the fan choice figure. Like I said it's mainly garbage if you are looking to sell your collection but I picked it up because I was thinking of donating my carded figures for a tax break. I will have to figure out what kind of documentation I need.

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 08:04 AM
KH are you Comcastic? :p

If that is refering to me working for Comcast, no I work for Dish Network.

dindae
07-27-2006, 08:34 AM
That's a shame since now I believe I'm contractually obligated to kill you. :D

tagmac
07-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Aside from a handful of rare products, the current line will never be worth what the vintage line is. Back then, you could get older figures at any time because no one was buying them up. Kids played with them, and that was the extent of it. That's why the carded versions are so sought after now.

Today, you have these idiots who think the carded versions will be worth something, which is the big reason figures have been so hard to find - scalpers aside, these other idiots feel the need to hoard 5-6 of each figre, thinking they'll be worth the same as their vintage counterparts. Newsflash - that's not gonna happen! Remember the $60 Leia's, $80 Threepios, and $50 Landos from 1995 - as soon as they stopped shortpacking them (and stores stopped insisting they were "discontinued") those prices fell like a rock. Scalpers cashed in on the initial hype, lies, and false shortages (created by the scalpers themselves), but now you can get any of those three on orange cards for retail, even less on ebay! I have no intention of ever selling off my collection for a windfall profit, and have only sold a handful of figures last year on ebay. In that case, it wasn't for profit (believe me, I lost out on the deal), but they were the first Cantina Set and a couple of single-carded figures that I had more than one of, and just wanted to get rid of to make some space - figures I was sorry i'd ever bought in the first place years earlier, and just wanted to get something for.

kr2003
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the insite on the collection tagmac; Would you not agree on what others have said about they are worth whatever people are willing to pay? Would you consider AFA grading? For e.g would you pay $100 for a AFA 95 graded saga figure?

Also when you say scalper, are you referring to somebody who buys in bulk and sells figures on?

El Chuxter
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
For e.g would you pay $100 for a AFA 95 graded saga figure?

Absolutely not. Unless you have one of the super-rare errors or variants, you'd be paying $100 to get a grade on a figure that, adjusting for inflation, will never be worth more than the equivalent of the original retail price.

Also when you say scalper, are you referring to somebody who buys in bulk and sells figures on?

Normally, when someone here says "scalper," they're referring to someone who buys in-demand figures (usually checking multiple stores early in the morning and buying the entire stock) with the sole purpose of selling them or auctioning them on eBay for more than retail price--not to help put those figures in someone's hand, but only to make a profit.

trandoshan666
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I've never really understood why people buy AFA-graded figures/packaging for any modern-era figure—especially when I see auctions where people are lining up to bid ridiculous sums for brand new figures. I'm a carded collector, but I would never buy something because it boasts a certain grade.

Banthaholic
07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I hope todays Star Wars will never fetch the prices of what vintage goes for. This is coming from a MOC/MISB-type of collector that has most of the products from the modern era.

I don't buy for an investment, I don't collect for future profit and I don't understand the market to do so. The fact that adults race to get items before kids than throw them on ebay is insane. Why deprive a children of the cooler figures for a small profit. Even the so-called UGH promotion has set a market of about a $10 profit per figure. Hardly worth the gas, time, and resources for that amount of money.

AFA is a joke. For vintage figures it might be a good way of verifing you're plunking down $$$ for the real deal, but for modern era, why?

Darth Cruel
07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I am also an anti-AFA guy. I don't know if it is true. But I read that one of the collector's sites (that AFA now sponsors by the way) sent in a fake vintage and it got graded at like an 85. If that is true, I think it is ridiculous to trust them. And even if it is not, people can give figures a percentage grade themselves. It is not brain surgery. And it breaks my heart that people rely so heavily on someones else's OPINION as there is no "Action Figure Grading College" to attend. I cringe whenever I see a pegwarmer going for 50.00 on eBay WHILE there are STILL TONS OF THEM HANGING ON PEGS EVERYWHERE just because the opinions of the guys at AFA are stickered on an overkill plastic box that was put on it.

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
That's a shame since now I believe I'm contractually obligated to kill you. :D

But we did a poll together, remember the good times?

maatu
07-27-2006, 12:20 PM
honestly to me. the only star wars line that will increase in value will be the sideshow toys line.

dindae
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I agree with Banthaholic vintage graded figures are the only thing I would think of buying graded simply due to the amount of fraud. Although if they are easily duped then it kind of defeats the purpose.

But we did a poll together, remember the good times?
I will do my best to break the brainwashing, but you don't know the Slowskys. They're all cute and cuddly on TV but they will bust your balls if you cross them.

kr2003
07-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Dindae, you mentioned being dupped by sellers, How is it possible to tell if loose vintage figures have thier original weapons and acsessories? Im pretty new to collecting I can honestly say I havent been able to tell the difference, other than asking the seller directly.

dindae
07-28-2006, 07:58 AM
I haven't done any research on it but mainly the color, mold, and flexibility. I don't know the specifics though. I was mainly talking about carded figures. I went to a flea market after Celebration II and they had some fake carded fintage figures. They were going for $20 and I had a few in my hand ready to go. After the rush of the score wore off though I saw how flimsy the card stock was and that the printing was not a factory run. They were pretty obvious and when I asked the guy he openely stated they were mock ups. I don't think he was trying to rip anyone off just offer a cheap alternative. I'm sure there are much better fakes out there. I think Steve Sansweet's book has some info about spotting a fake. I doubt I will ever do a carded vintage collection now, but I will eventually do a loose collection. I have the ones I played with as a kid but I would like a collection that wasn't as well loved. As far as a fake weapon I don't think I would sweat it to much. The figure is the important part to me if I get a fake blaster as long as it looks good it will work.

DarthQuack
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I just miss the old days of when figures were 4.99.....

dindae
08-05-2006, 07:02 AM
I miss the really old days when they were 2.97. :D

DarthQuack
08-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I miss the really old days when they were 2.97. :D

Jeez, I remember at TRU when they had deals with POTF figures that had stickers on them, I think they were 99 cents maybe?

dindae
08-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I only remember seeing the POTF line once and I don't think I bought any since I was to far into G.I. Joe at the time.

Kidhuman
08-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Jeez, I remember at TRU when they had deals with POTF figures that had stickers on them, I think they were 99 cents maybe?

I remember Odd Lot had them for 1 dollar each, and I went and bought other stuff instead with my allowance, could have gotten them all between me and my brother.

C5Jedi
08-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Im sure its hard to tell but does anybody have an estimate price esculation figure for the saga figures? Will they become as sought after as the original 1977 vinatage figures? Im sure most of you know a carded skywalker fetches approx $800, £400. Can we expect the same in 20 or so years?

I doubt it. There may be a few variation figures that some collectors/dealers will go crazy for but nothing like the originals. I remember finding a original Droids Boba Fett carded figure at a mall toy store in 1988 (had a huge ewoks/droids clearance sale) for $1 :D

DarthQuack
08-05-2006, 07:19 PM
You can't put a price on your collections especially if you have kids and how much they'll love them as much as we have growing up.

JON9000
08-13-2006, 03:56 PM
It has already been 11(!) years since POTF2 first showed up on toyshelves. The orange carded figures are now worth next to nothing. Even toys that once commanded high aftermarket prices from those days (anybody remember when orange carded Lando was HTF) sell for a couple of dollars.

In fact, it has been my recent experience that loose figures often sell for a higher premium than their carded counterparts.

The reason for this has already been well put- there are about a zillion collectors out there who somehow have enough space to keep their collections carded, many of them in Star Cases.

These figures are, and ever will be, pretty worthless.

My guess is that vintage 12 backs and offerless later carded figures will continue to do well.

tagmac
08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Of the orange-carded figures, I think only the transition group (Stormtrooper luke, R5-D4, Tusken, Jawas, Momaw) is worth anything compared to the rest of them, with the lesser produced trio of Greedo, Gunner, and Sandtrooper probably commanding a slightly higher price on the orange cards. even so, the fact that these were mass produced on green cards certainly killed the value of these, save for a handful of carded completists who simply had to have both versions. I was lucky enough to get the first five on orange cards, which I kept sealed, but it's more for the novelty of having gotten some harder to finde varitions than the idea of selling them. Besides which, I bought each one on green cards which I later opened anyway.