PDA

View Full Version : The Birds and the bees???

Darth Instigator
07-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Ok I got a problem, my eight year old asked me and the wife today how he got my looks, he knows half his genes comes from me but he wants to know how they got there, I explained it as scientifically as I could but stopped before telling him how it got there, WTF should I do? I know there was a funny video out there, it was a flash animation with a bannana, I want to find it and look it over again. Does an 8 year old need to know? I'm in the medical profession so I can get pretty detailed and am pretty open about stuff, I just dont want to tell him too much.

Luuuuuuke
07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Just lie to him for a little longer:D He doesn't need to know yet. Not even in a metaphoric sense. Just tell him it has something to do with mitochloridians;) Thank God my daughter isn't even 4 yet. She won't be giving her old man a heart attack for a few more years....

bobafrett
07-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I started to try to explain this to my son when he was in 6th grade, but he had already seen the information in class.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Anyone else remember this episode of The Wonder Years ? :D

-----------

Just give him a John Holmes video and let ol Johnny show him how it's done. :crazed:

-----------

Well, from my own experience, I know that by the time my old man sat me down to horrify me with the details (it's horrifying hearing it from a parent :dead: ), I already knew most of what he was saying so it was more to humour him if anything...

It's awkward though, I'm sure. :D

jjreason
07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
You've got to do it early. Kids are going to start hearing about that stuff in and around grade 3 or 4, I'm guessing - no mention of it from my 7 year old yet - it's likely better to hear it from Mom or Dad than rely on the hearsay spread by 10 and 11 year olds (who are most likely hearing it from 13 or 14 year olds that presume to be experts... but in fact know very little and speculate wildly).

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 06:39 AM
dont lie anymore to the kid, tell him the truth in a way he can understand. HE already is traumatized by finding out the tooth fairy is you

CaptainSolo1138
07-27-2006, 06:52 AM
I'd knock my own teeth out just to see jj walk through the door in an ill-fitting leotard and fairy wings to put a quarter (or Loony, whatever) under my pillow.

darthvyn
07-27-2006, 07:13 AM
dont lie anymore to the kid, tell him the truth in a way he can understand. HE already is traumatized by finding out the tooth fairy is you

yeah, i second this motion... i don't understand the stigma people place around sex and intimacy. of course, look what gets a more restrictive rating by the MPAA - violence is all cool, but show some skin, and you better not watch it!!!

anyway, my parents were a little laid back about it, but my wife's parents, especially her father, were very open and honest about sex... he just basically would answer any question they had "until their eyes glazed over" which signified that he had gone over their heads, and then he shut up.

basically, there's no need to "lie" to your child. if he/she is curious about stuff, obviously they're old enough to know about it. otherwise they wouldn't be curious about it!

El Chuxter
07-27-2006, 07:23 AM
You could show him the Octopussoir episode of Drawn Together.

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 10:46 AM
You could show him the Octopussoir episode of Drawn Together.

Or watch it yourself for a million laughs.

LusiferSam
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
As painfully or embarrassing as it might be I'd tell you son the truth. I know at 8 years old my friends and I had put most of the pieces of that puzzle together without a lot of patently input. The results were pretty close to right, but not quite. There are books written for just such talks with young children. Either your public or school library should have these if you want to take a look.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Agreed, don't lie to them, but you have to realize that there is something awkward for a kid to hear from his own father the vile things that he has done to the kid's mother. :D

2-1B
07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
sorry, I have NO idea why my post went through 5 times. :(

Darth Instigator
07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
dont lie anymore to the kid, tell him the truth in a way he can understand. HE already is traumatized by finding out the tooth fairy is youshhhhhhhhhh no one here knows that I am him, or it. You know the fairy, lol

so far he doesn't know about Santa and the tooth fairy, I hope. Although recently he did accuse us of doing it.

darthvyn
07-27-2006, 12:05 PM
i got a triple whammy on the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and santa all at once because i lost a tooth in the middle of the night and put it under my pillow - and the tooth was still there when i woke up. my mom said "i'm really the tooth fairy. so i guess you now know that i'm also santa and the easter bunny."

of course, being young, i hadn't made any of those connections, and probably wouldn't have for quite some time. that day sucked.

Slicker
07-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Midichlorians

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Obviously, I'm not a parent, so this is just my opinion...

I don't believe children should be exposed to sexuality, they aren't physically or mentally mature enough to handle the information, it's overwhelming and will affect their outlook on just about everything when there's no reason for it to. I have no problem with sexuality in entertainment, I just don't believe that kids should be exposed to that stuff (and I am not blaming those making the entertainment, parents should be guiding their kids' lives, not letting TV and movies do it). That said, once they ask about that stuff, being blatantly dishonest doesn't really do any good either, my guess is to keep it as brief and technical as possible, minimalistically satiate their curiosity so it's a non-issue for them at that point.

InsaneJediGirl
07-27-2006, 08:29 PM
I would say just keep it brief and non-detailed and possible,seems the best way to go rather than lying.

I remember the talk. Ugh...My parents had the talk like 3 times. Apparently they thought I wasnt horrified enough the first time.

Darth Instigator
07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I just want to say that today I got some state level intelligence exam back from when my son took it in school at the end of this year and he scored almost perfect and his levels put him at Advanced! I am so proud of this kid, lol

Darth Instigator
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks for all the opinions guys and gals, I will go over them with my wife this weekend and decide from there.

bobafrett
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
My dad simply sid "If you go out with a girl, be sure you have protection", which at that age I thought he meant I was supposed to carry a weapon of some sort to fend off the girl.