PDA

View Full Version : The search for the clones

Jaff
07-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a challenge for any Star Wars fan out there. Hasbro is flushing out so many repaint of clones that I find myself slightly stunned. I seem to remember several different colored clones in Episode III, but some of the new figs that are being announced don't appear to have been in Episode III. In an effort to make sense of this I'm asking anyone with ambition to watch Episode III and note every clone seen in the movie (this will require several pauses). Specifically which colors were in the film and what types, i.e. clone commander red/clone commander white. I'm willing to bet that the list discovered will be far less than the colors currently released, which would mean we are having a lot more EU stuff released than we think!

Any takers?

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 06:42 AM
I will watch the movie, no issues there, but someone already has that list Jaff, I can guarentee it.

Jaff
07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I can't wait to find that list because then I can save a bunch of money not buying what was not in the movie!!!!

Devo
07-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I find this great overabundance of variety in ROTS clones to be very off-putting aside from the fact that I just don't particularly like the ROTS clone design. I think I'll pass on the clones from now on especially now that the Saga2 cardbacks are gone which were in a few cases my sole incentive for buying certain figures this year.

jedi master sal
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Okay let's start with the obvious ones:
Commanders:
•Cody
•Gree
•Bly
•Bacara
Neyo was in the movie but has not been done correctly as an action figure. The closests was the first Target clone (with the red "Cobra-like" symbol on his helmet, chest and leg).

Now to grunts:
•Utapau troopers
•Bly's grunts-available only in the Evolutions set thusfar
•Shocktroopers
•"Coruscant" troopers-these were the ones with the grey markings. Though the ones that came in the battle pack were not 100% accurate, they were close.
•Tac Ops/501st troopers-blue marked troopers who stormed the Jedi Temple
•White clones. yes, they are a blink and you miss them kind of thing though. You see two of them in the Gunship that Obi-wan, Mace and Yoda are in. Also take notice that on part of the armor, IIRC, the chest piece, these two clones have the EXACT same battle damage.
•AT-RT driver

Upcoming clones include:
•Bacara's Galactic Marine (Red Snowtroopers-sort of)
•Gree's Troopers-looks like Camoflauged Biker Scouts but with a slight different helmet design
•Airborne troopers-the ones with that funky helmet

Clones made into action figures but were NOT in the movie include:
•AT-TE gunner
•Grey Commander clones from the Evolutions set (Though you can take the shoulder armor and skirt off and place the grey belt on to make a Coruscant clone that's much better than the Jetpack trooper)
•Shadow Trooper (the second Target trooper in black and grey markings)
•Stealth trooper-ShopStarWars.com exclusive
••Both the Red and Green Commanders-originally the red commanbder was planned to be in the movie but was later changed to Bly and his yellow grunts.
•Blue Bacara look-alike. Just a repaint done for the Coruscant battle pack
•Green clone from 3-pack
•Brown clone from 3-pack
•Blue clone from 3-pack

Upcoming clones not in the movie either:
••Mace's clones (both the regular troopers and the Airborne look-alike commander)
•Green Clonetrooper (looks exactly like the Utapau trooper but with green instead of orange-similar to the one in the 3-pack but is believed to now be the #41 mold.
•••Wal*Mart 3-pack (bronze markings)
•Blue Clone much like the one on the 3-pack but now with a #41 mold
•Commander Appo (501st commander-this figure looks much like the red/green commanders but with the Tac Ops/501st markings. Commander Appo was in the movie but was marked the same as teh other Tac Ops troopers, not differentiated like the action figure makes him to be.

If there are more I'll add/edit them into the this list for easy reference.
Take note that there have been several iterations of certain clones and hence come in different packages. The white clone comes to mind as he was made twice in the regular line as well as several molds for the 3-pack multipack sets. You will hear reference of the #6 and #41 molds (as you read in this post) The numbers signify what number figure they were in the ROTS line. The #41 mold is thought to be better due to slightly better articulation. Though both are GREAT figures, IMO.

So basically with the upcoming release of Gree's clones (also refered to as Kashyyyk Clones) and the Galactic Marine, we have all of the from the movie except Commander Neyo (his grunts look exactly the same insofar as we know).

-Sal

DarkArtist
07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
It seems to me that the clone choices were based on the first look of ROTS back in the Star Wars Insider. They showed a picture of all the various types of clones and the colors they wore. Now Hasbro is releasing them into the action figure world. Call it EU or whatever but you have to also think that in order for Star Wars to show so many characters and such the movies would be going on forever. At 2 1/2 hours ROTS was a long movie, if all the clones were shown in detail then the movie would be over three hours long and the story line would possibly dry out.

Also the Red Clone Commander was given a name by the insider magazine, Commander Breviss.

I personally like the idea of different clones, it gives the people who are playing with them a chance to imagine new battles and new settings for the Star Wars Universe. Let us not forget the most important thing: THEY ARE TOYS, afterall.

Kidhuman
07-27-2006, 09:36 PM
2 clones(or 1) you forgot are the pilots. We see the gray one in the movie but not the black one. Also the firespeeder pilot is in the movie for a brief second.

TheDarthVader
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree with you Jaff. I am not buying any figures of characters that were not in the movies. At least as far as clones and the PT goes.

jedi master sal
07-28-2006, 08:36 AM
2 clones(or 1) you forgot are the pilots. We see the gray one in the movie but not the black one. Also the firespeeder pilot is in the movie for a brief second.

Dang, I did have that in there, then edited the post. I must have deleted that part by accident.

Okay so add the pilots both Grey (to actually in the movie) and Black-not in the movie but a really cool version. It's a greta hybrid betwen the ROTS clone pilots and the TIE pilots of the OT.

As to the Firespeeder Pilots, I didn't count them.
In fact according to the main site, ( http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/coruscantfirefighter/index.html ), they were drafted into military service which denotes that they were civilians and not clones.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
07-28-2006, 08:56 AM
I am glad there are so many haters out there. It will make my troop-building of these new clones easier! I like the clones as action figures and the more...the better. Now, there will come a time when I have had enough of clone and storm troopers...but that time is a long way off. BRING THEM ON!

I like that we will basically be getting two clone troopers in one with Appo. The only difference between him and the movie is the Pauldron. And I like that addition to set him appart from the troops. So of the 100 or so that I buy of these...99 of them will simply lose the pauldron and become troops.

What I find to be interesting is the haters' imaginations being able to go far enough to enjoy this completely unbelievable story in the movies...but not enough farther to enjoy an expansion of it. I would like to learn the psychology behind that.

Devo
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I am glad there are so many haters out there. It will make my troop-building of these new clones easier! I like the clones as action figures and the more...the better. Now, there will come a time when I have had enough of clone and storm troopers...but that time is a long way off. BRING THEM ON!

I like that we will basically be getting two clone troopers in one with Appo. The only difference between him and the movie is the Pauldron. And I like that addition to set him appart from the troops. So of the 100 or so that I buy of these...99 of them will simply lose the pauldron and become troops.

What I find to be interesting is the haters' imaginations being able to go far enough to enjoy this completely unbelievable story in the movies...but not enough farther to enjoy an expansion of it. I would like to learn the psychology behind that.

Unless you shop through r2dtoys my indifference to ROTS clones won't make a difference to your collecting one way or another.

EU in general doesn't really draw me in - accordingly I'm not into EU toys (with some exceptions, I have a few of the Clone wars cartoon realistic style figures and some concept figures from my 'completist' days). I suppose its also the money issue - cool as I'm sure they'd look I couldn't come close to being able to afford to build armies of all these different clones. So its rather helpful that I'm not particularly interested to begin with. The OT has enough trooper types as it is without me also building PT and EU legions.

bigbarada
07-28-2006, 05:59 PM

I sincerely tried to get into EU long before it was referred to as "EU." However, too many poorly thought out designs, too many overly predictable plotlines (for a while it seemed that the EU answers for making any character interesting was to give them a lightsaber, even if it made no sense - "ahem" Aurra Singh).

Also once Dengar asked Boba Fett to be his best man, I was off EU forever.:stupid:

DarthQuack
07-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm just happy having one of each. Doesn't matter to me if they were on-camera or off.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2006, 05:02 PM
The red clone commander is named Deviss, not Breviss.

Also, in the film, the clone pilots have different markings on their helmets in a similar fashion to the rebel pilots of the OT. From what I can tell, there isn't a clone pilot in the film with markings identical to the first figure (and of course not the second). Odd Ball (flies with Obi-Wan and Anakin) and Jai'galaar (I think, also called Jag; he kills Plo Koon) are the named pilots in the film.

Okay, here's a complete (I think) list of all 2005 ROTS clone figures and whether or not they're in the film (later I'll update with 2006-07):

Basic Figures
6. Clone Trooper (Quick-Draw Attack!) - the white version is seen behind Mace and Obi-Wan on the Gunship, and the red version (Shocktrooper) is in the senate and on Mustafar.
33. Clone Commander (Battle Gear!) - both red and green versions are absent from the film.
34. Clone Pilot (Firing Cannon!) - see above comments.
38. AT-TE Tank Gunner (Clone Army) - not in the film.
41. Clone Trooper (Super Articulation!) - he can be the "other" clone in the gunship behind Mace and Obi-Wan.
49. Commander Bacara (Quick-Draw Attack!) - he kills Ki-Adi-Mundi on Mygeeto.
54. AT-RT Driver (Missile-Firing Blaster!) - they search for Yoda on Kashyyyk.
57. Commander Bly (Battle Gear!) - he kills Aayla Secura on Felucia.
59. Commander Gree (Battle Gear!) - he gets killed by Yoda on Kashyyyk, though the deco was off in places.
65. Tactical Ops Trooper (Vader’s Legion!) - they help Vader storm the temple.

Deluxe Figures
*Clone Trooper (Firing Jet Missile!) - not in the film.
*Clone Troopers (Build Your Army!) - none of the figures (white, blue, red, or green) were in the film, as there weren't plain white clones in action scenes; the other clones were based on concept art.

Exclusive Figures
*Clone Trooper (Target Exclusive) - he has the armor of Commander Neyo/Neyo's troops from Saleucami, but the helmet is wrong.
*Utapau Shadow Trooper (Target Exclusive) - not in the film; basically a black and gray Utapau clone.
*Covert Ops Clone Trooper (StarWarsShop.com Exclusive) - not in the film.

Three-packs
*Evolutions Clone Trooper - the yellow version helps Bly kill Aayla on Felucia. The gray one is not in the film, but with the extra accessories removed, he is similar to clones that are present during the Battle of Coruscant and when Tarfful visits Coruscant (though he still has an incorrect buckle on his left arm).
*DVD Commemorative Pack - not in the film.

Battlepacks
*Jedi Temple Assault - the clone pilot is still the inaccurate original figure. The 501st clones are missing the leg stripes.
*Clone Attack On Coruscant - the Bacara repaint was not in the film. The other clones' paint is too dark, but they are similar to the clones during the Battle of Coruscant (they fire the ship's cannons) and when Tarfful visits Coruscant.

Vehicle Figures
*BARC Speeder with BARC Trooper (Ripcord Action) - this clone never rides a BARC speeder, but they are seen on Kashyyyk trying to kill Yoda with Gree and also firing rifles during the battle.
*AT-RT with AT-RT Driver (Real Walking Action!) - seen looking for Yoda on Kashyyyk.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-30-2006, 11:47 AM
The 2006 and 2007 list, AOTC-style clones and straight repacks excluded:

Basic Figures
24. Clone Commander Cody - he goes to Utapau when Obi-Wan Kenobi gives the word to R4-G9.
26. Clone Trooper - these guys go to Utapau as well.
56. Holographic Commander Cody - he tells Mace that Obi-Wan has made contact with Grievous. He is seen without a helmet, and the figure's is removable (though the head is out of scale).
57. Clone Trooper (442nd Siege Battalion) - not in the film. Based on the green clone from the 2005 deluxe three-pack; basically a green Utapau clone.
59. Clone Trooper (5th Fleet Security) - not in the film. Based on the blue clone from the 2005 deluxe three-pack.
64. Commander Appo - not in the film. He leads Vader's 501st and has a pauldron (which can be removed to make him a regular 501st clone).
65. Clone Trooper - similar to last year's BARC Trooper from Kashyyyk.
69. Clone Trooper - not in the film. Based on the gold clones from the DVD Commemorative Pack.

Battlepacks
*Skirmish in the Senate - these Shocktroopers are in the film, but without the antenna (which are removable on the figures). In the film, some have rifles and some have blasters; there are one of each in here.
*Mace Windu's Attack Battalion - not in the film; basically purple Shocktroopers and Airborne Trooper with pauldrons.

2007 Basic Figures
*Galactic Marine - kills Ki-Adi-Mundi with Commander Bacara on Mygeeto.
*Airborne Trooper - goes to Utapau with Commander Cody.

Blackened88
07-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I agree Darth Cruel, the more people don't like these and won't be buying them it will be easier for us to find them and army build which makes me happy. Seriously though why is there such a lack of imagination, and fun?

Phantom-like Menace
07-31-2006, 06:51 AM
I agree Darth Cruel, the more people don't like these and won't be buying them it will be easier for us to find them and army build which makes me happy. Seriously though why is there such a lack of imagination, and fun?

But they weren't in the movie.

Devo
07-31-2006, 01:16 PM

Lack of imagination and fun? I'm buying loads of OT troopers isn't that enough for you?? :p How much imagination is there in the same figure with different paint schemes anyway? And the lack of fun? That'd be all the money I'd be giving away for something that wasn't ever seen on screen.

Darth Cruel
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
But they weren't in the movie.

I don't care. Maybe it is related to the fact that I also don't need my action figures to look like the actors. The movies were...ARE...great! But I have room in my heart for more of the story beyond the movie. Now...I won't say that other collectors CAN'T imagine the story beyond the movie...but obviously a lot of collectors choose not to. And there is nothing wrong with that (it means more clones on the pegs for me). But I am curious as to why.

dindae
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
I would imagine most of it comes down to money. If you have to choose then figures from the movies typically win for most. However there is a lot of sub par EU stuff out there that has put a bad taste in the mouth of more than one collectors which spurs distaste against non movie figures. Then there is the group of people who see every figure that Hasbro makes that is not in the movie as potentially one less figure they will get that they do want when the line ends.

Jaff
08-01-2006, 08:15 AM
It's funny how many are claiming that "haters" lack imagination beyond the movie. I personally hate nothing, but assume what you wish. I have collected and display every figure loose! That takes an entire room, EU is in the way and bleeds my wallet. It also prevents Yarna from being released earlier, and other figs from being picked to be released!

I don't think I lack imagination, but I have a 60 hour plus job, 3 kids, a wife, and no time to be reading books, comics, playing video games, and so on. The movies sustain me and I love them, but I consider the SW universe to be what George Lucas says, not some writter that decides to get a book published. Anyone can say "well George has to approve it!" He gets bank from approving such things. The books, comics and games have all ruined each other's timelines, and I have high tastes in what I give my time to. In the end it all comes down to this: I like what I like and if you consider me a hater then judge away. I will not like it to be acceptable, nor will I like it to like it. That is to say I consider some EU to be garbage, and I won't like low quality material because a SW stamp is on it. That's like saying I love the 1995 POTF R5-D4 because it was a star wars figure! I didn't like it, and I still don't.

My final response to these opinionated comments is this: I do own some EU figures, and last I'm glad I will make it easier for some of you to find the upcoming clones.

Darth Cruel
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I usually stop posting in a thread if someone gets offended by one of my posts as I never intend to offend anyone and it is never necessary for anyone to be offended, and I don't want to perpetuate an argument but...

Jaff - Your post says that you are not a hater. That negates any reference to haters having anything to do with you. I am glad that you are not a hater and I do not regret that I am. I hate liver and child molesters and Yarna Dal Gargan and Willrow Hood and tens of thousands of other things.

If you read the second of my posts, I have corrected my wording to more accurately represent my intent on the subject of imaginations going beyond the movies.

I also have a wife, 3 kids. and a job that is usually 60+ hour-a-week. And I also do not read the books nor play the games (I did a long time ago). Although I know that some people choose to not support various figures for various reasons. I support every figure that makes it to a Card that is in a 3 3/4" or 12" Star Wars line for my own reasons, even figures I hate like R5-D4 and figures with only 6 points of articulation have ended up in my collection and figures like those and Yarna and Willrow will continue to end up in my collection if they get made, even though I am hater of them.

Also I am not sure why people believe that more new movie figures will be released earlier if there are no EU figures being made. Has it occured to anyone that maybe Hasbro is using the EU figures and re-packs to pad the selection because they fully intend to stretch the release of the new movie figures out over the next 12 years that they have the license? That seems to make sense to me. And although it is nowhere near proof of that, it does seem to me that we are getting a lot more figures than normal and the non-movie stuff would seem to just about be the difference. On that subject there are too many variables now and more coming up with the TV shows to make any kind of accurate assumption on what Hasbro is thinking. But I don't think that there is any evidence nor is there any rational common sense in thinking that fewer EU figures translates directly to more movie figures.

Luuuuuuke
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not into EU. I don't mean I don't like EU, I'm just not into it. I don't read the books, etc, etc. Having said that I'll buy a couple of every clone that comes out. I collected between 10-12 of the 501st, Utapau and shocktroopers because I see those as key clones. But I'll probably just get about 2-3 of the rest coming out, with the exception of the Kashyyk troopers and the Galactic Marine, where I'll get at least 4, but no more than 6. Totally made up (as in not in the movies) clones I'll probably just buy 2.

Devo
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Yep I'd agree that the 501st, utapua and shocktroopers are the key ROTS clones. I have no 501sts as I'm waiting for the proper SA mould to be used as it inevitably will. Then I'll buy maybe over 10 of those for their various scenes - most notably the march on the temple behind Anakin/Vader.

I have 2 Utapua troopers and used to assume I'd buy more but now I'm not sure I care to set up any full blown Utapua scenes. The shocktroopers seem important because they are presented as the Emperors personal troops even though their screentime is fairly minimal. But I think at 7 I have enough of them anyway and I won't be specifically buying more.

Other film clones may tempt me if theres nothing else out at the time that I prioritise more - but certainly not EU clones - because as it is the film versions tend to drop off my wishlists with every new OT figure or vehicle that gets released - the expense is a big factor. If I had vast sums of money I'd have no need to prioritise like that.

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Clones are just fun, I enjoy collecting them.

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Thats how I feel about it. I will get the ones that look good and dont cost 15 bucks at the nearest Target.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Yep I'd agree that the 501st, utapua and shocktroopers are the key ROTS clones. I have no 501sts as I'm waiting for the proper SA mould to be used as it inevitably will. Then I'll buy maybe over 10 of those for their various scenes - most notably the march on the temple behind Anakin/Vader.
Commander Appo, coming out in a few months, is basically the 501st trooper with extra things such as a pauldron. I'm not sure which mold he is, but I don't think it's the AT-TE Gunner again. If he's good I'll probably get a few of him for grunts.

Darth Cruel
08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
According to this pic, he looks a lot to me like a #41 with a pauldron and no antenna (thanks to the pauldron). I hope that is the case, but that is what I thought about Cody as well. I got the image from StarWars.com because the link would not go straight to it.

tagmac
08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I've just been using my Temple Assault clones (w/o the leg stripes) as the grunts, with the carded version, differentiated by the leg stripes, as Appo. No need to buy this ridiculous-looking version.

jedi master sal
08-01-2006, 09:48 PM
According to this pic, he looks a lot to me like a #41 with a pauldron and no antenna (thanks to the pauldron). I hope that is the case, but that is what I thought about Cody as well. I got the image from StarWars.com because the link would not go straight to it.

That would be awesome if it were the #41 sculpt. I heard it was the Commander sculpt. That would be decent enough for me.

And DC, you're right, this figure is goign to be in SHORT supply. I'll buy 1 to use as Appo, but then 40 or so for regular troops.

As to collecting clones, I'm WAY into it. Too far. I won't even begin to quote how many I have of each. All I'll say is that I have about 1000 clones between AOTC and ROTS styles. (And growing)

Phantom-like Menace
08-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I understand perfectly the constraints of finances. The constraints of finances drive my decision on which figures to buy and which not to buy. The distinction of EU versus movie is an odd distinction. There are cool movie figures and lame movie figures just as there are cool EU figures and lame EU figures. Many people here would have you think there are simply cool movie figures and lame EU figures.

Luuuuuuke
08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I couldn't say it better. I don't much care whether they're EU or from the movies. I'll buy a little of all of them.

There's some EU figures I probably wouldn't buy, but most of those are non-clones, like Mara Jade, etc. In fact, I'm seriously thinking about canceling the Kir-Kanos/Carnor Jax set I ordered because it's a little outside of what I'm truly interested in.

Then again, there's plenty of movie figures I have not purchased, so for me it has nothing to do with thinking EU is lame or not. In fact, I'm inclined to think EU figures tend to be cooler looking cause I assume only the cooler characters, figures get released when it comes to EU.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2006, 12:47 AM
I enjoy the clones, whether they were in the movie or not. I'm not a big army builder, but I'm getting close to 100 clones from AOTC and ROTS, just by buying two or three of most of them.

I'm excited about getting more EU figures. I've read a lot of the books and played a lot of the games. I've not read as much lately, and I have yet to touch the Young Jedi or New Jedi Order stories, but I enjoyed a lot of the earlier stuff I read. I guess part of it is the connection you can make to various characters when you're reading. A book can take you inside the head of the characters. With video games, you get to play as a character, so there is an even more personal connection to the characters there, because you get to be a character and interact with other characters (even if it is just shooting them). So, when a character that I've spent many hours reading about or playing as is finally made into a figure, I think it is kind of cool.

Darth Cruel
08-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I came to realize last night that there is a great clone grunt that has seen plastic...but I thought it was supposed to be a commander. The 327th Star Corps grunt was released in the Evolutions pack. Not a super-acurate paint job, though. And his chin sticks out from under his helmet. I would love to see that one made on the #41 sculpt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2006, 12:38 PM
That pic makes it look like Appo is indeed the #41 sculpt; look at the upside-down belt. If so that would be pretty sweet.

Devo
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
That would be awesome if it were the #41 sculpt. I heard it was the Commander sculpt. That would be decent enough for me.

And DC, you're right, this figure is goign to be in SHORT supply. I'll buy 1 to use as Appo, but then 40 or so for regular troops.

As to collecting clones, I'm WAY into it. Too far. I won't even begin to quote how many I have of each. All I'll say is that I have about 1000 clones between AOTC and ROTS styles. (And growing)

I've been collecting these things for 10 years and I don't have 1000 figures yet let alone 1000 of any one figure/figure type. I've forgotten what my last count was - 700 maybe give or take.

Did the 501st troopers have antennae? Because if that Appo is the #41 mold it should have a slot on his back yes? That way if they don't provide an antenna you can at least commandeer them off white clones or something.

Darth Cruel
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I've been collecting these things for 10 years and I don't have 1000 figures yet let alone 1000 of any one figure/figure type. I've forgotten what my last count was - 700 maybe give or take.

Did the 501st troopers have antennae? Because if that Appo is the #41 mold it should have a slot on his back yes? That way if they don't provide an antenna you can at least commandeer them off white clones or something.

I am of the mind that the 501st (ROTS edition) did not have antennae. But you know what? That d@^^#% antenna is starting to grow on me. I am starting to accept it as a normal part of clones.

My transformation is complete.

Luuuuuuke
08-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Between AOTC and ROTC clones, I probably have about 120, max. By the end of next year I'll probably have about 150 I figure because I don't see myself buying more than 4-6 of the upcoming clones.

In general I buy about 12 of the main clones(shocks, 501st, Utapau). I actually don't army build individual AOTC clones. The Hunt for Grievous ones are about as close to army building as I've come: 3 sets.

jedi master sal
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Between AOTC and ROTC clones, I probably have about 120, max. By the end of next year I'll probably have about 150 I figure because I don't see myself buying more than 4-6 of the upcoming clones.

In general I buy about 12 of the main clones(shocks, 501st, Utapau). I actually don't army build individual AOTC clones. The Hunt for Grievous ones are about as close to army building as I've come: 3 sets.

Heh, that's funny, because that's one set I DIDN'T army build. I have one set MIB, another opened and two of the blue ARC I got from a local collector. Though I have quite a few of the previously released ARC troopers on CW card (both blue and red variants).

Going on a guess, since I'm at work and don't have my database with me, I believe I have an approx of each of the following:
X140 #6 White clone
X40 #41 battle scarred White clone
X18 Shocktrooper #6
X12 Shocktrooper #41
X12 AT-RT driver
X12? (at least 12 could be more) Tac Ops (AT-TE gunner mold)
X48 Tac Ops (from the Battle pack-#6 mold)
X8 Commander Gree
X6 Commander Bly (mix of both white and yellow shoulder rings)
X3 Commander Bly corrected brown stripe variant
X8 Bly's grunts (from Evolutions set)
X2 Grey Commander from Evolutions set
X24 Grey Coruscant clone (from Battle pack-"BP")
X6 Commander Bacara
X6 Commander Bacara blue variant
X92 Utapau trooper
X8 Commander Cody
X6 Scorch
X4 Target Clone 1st issue (red markings)
X3 Target clone 2nd issue (black w/grey markings)
X2 Covert Ops trooper (from shopstarwars.com)
X30 Clone Pilot Grey
X12Clone Pilot Black
X24 AT-TE gunner
X4 Jetpack trooper
X16 Standing clone from 3-pack white
X14 kneeling clone from 3-pack white
X16 prone clone from 3-pack white
X4 Standing clone from 3-pack brown
X6 kneeling clone from 3-pack green
X4 prone clone from 3-pack blue

That's just the ROTS ones (that I can recall at present)
Totalling: 590 (Hmm, I thought I had less than this. So it seems I have more than 1100 clones in total including AOTC and ROTS clones.)

EDIT I forgot the Red and Green Commanders. I have no less a dozen reds and 8 greens, so add them in this too. So that puts me over 600 ROTS styled clones End Edit

I do know at last count my AOTC clones number more than 500.

And we've still got the Kashyyyk clone, Galactic Marines, Airborne trooper, Mace's Airborne trooper and grunts, green clone (like the Utapau clone but with green markings), blue clone-like the one from the 3-pack but much better articulated, same for a brown clone. Also there's Holo Cody, and Commander Appo.

Of those yet not released I'm hoping to get
X40 Kashyyyk clones
X20 Galactic Marines
X12-20 Airborne trooper
X4 Mace's Airborne trooper (commander)
X12 Mace's grunt clones
X4-6 Green clone
X4-6 Blue clone
X4-6 Brown clone
X4 Holo Cody
X40 Commander Appo (only use two as the commander and the rest as Tac ops grunts)

So that would add another 144-158 clones. Clearly I'm possesed by the obsession to collect these...heh heh. BUt they are going to help complete some really cool and BIG dioramas.

I can't remember the AOTC breakdown of clones, as well as the ROTS ones. That would have to be for another day.

A rough estimate of all of my clones (AOTC and ROTS) put it at just under $8K worth. Then factor in the 150 or so new clones listed that are not out yet that I plan on getting and the total comes up to just about $9K Then there's the OT troopers to think about... I'd definitely be guessing but I'd say I have at least 400 OT troopers including Stormies, Sand, Snow, Scout troopers, plus Death Star gunners, TIE Pilots, etc. Cripes, I've got alot of troops...

I know I've promised photos in the past, but this weekend I'm really going to try and get some taken. They'll just be of ROTS clones and then only a portion (as many are in storage right now), but you'll easily get the drift and finally the proof will be out there. I've been requested of this often, so even though I wanted to wait until I had a house to display them and have the dioramas built with them in it, I'll do my best to get at least some photos up.

-Sal

JON9000
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Jesus, Daddy Warbucks, have you figured the sheer cost of all those clones?

Devo
08-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Have you noticed any yellowing or staining on this army of white figures? My AOTC clones are already turning yellow - I can see it by comparing them with any new white trooper I get. It really doesn't take long for the process to become apparent.

Luuuuuuke
08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
You kind of army build commanders I see, Sal. I'm surprised you don't have more of the Target single pack clones or the Jetpack ones(though Jetpack clones are kind of sucky).

I probably have about 30 white clones, SA and #6
12 Utapau Clones
8 SA Shocktroopers
10 #6 shocktroopers
6 Tactical Ops Troopers
9 501s from the Jedi Temple pack
6 AT-RT clones
7 Target Black and Gray Clones
8 Coruscant Gray Clones(Target)
1 Commander Bly
2 Bly Grunts
2 Bacaras(one I converted to SA)
2 Codys
3 Red Clone Commanders
4 Green Clone Commanders
2 EVo Gray Varient Clones
4 Scorch
5 Commander Grees
1 Target Exclusive Clone(white one with red mark)
9 of the 3-pack clones(combined)

EDIT: I forgot to add the 1 Covert Ops Clone trooper I have. And total 6 of six(two sets) of the Wal-Mart DVD 3-figure clone sets--the ones with the weird brown and gray markings).

Probably I'll get:
6 Galactic Marines
6-8 Kashyyk clones
6 Mace's grunts
2 Mace's Airborne troopers
2-3 Utapau Airborne troopers

About 2-3 MAX of the rest of the EU-type clones

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I think I posted my clone list in another thread, but I've added some since then.

2 = Clone Trooper Sneak Preview

3 = Clone Trooper (Saga)
3 = Clone Trooper Republic Gunship Pilot (Saga)

2 = ARC Trooper (Clone Wars)
3 = 1xClone Trooper Army Blue Version (Clone Wars)
3 = 1xClone Trooper Army Green Version (Clone Wars)
3 = 1xClone Trooper Army Yellow Version (Clone Wars)
1 = Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike (Clone Wars)

3 = Clone Trooper #6 (ROTS)
3 = Clone Trooper #6 Red (ROTS)
2 = Clone Commander Green Version (ROTS)
2 = Clone Commander Red Version (ROTS)
3 = Clone Pilot White Version (ROTS)
2 = Clone Pilot Black Version (ROTS)
2 = AT-TE Tank Gunner (ROTS)
1 = Commander Bacara (ROTS)
3 = Clone Trooper #41 (ROTS)
2 = AT-RT Driver (ROTS)
2 = Commander Bly (ROTS)
2 = Commander Gree (ROTS)
2 = Tactical Ops Trooper (ROTS)

1 = Clone Trooper Target Exclusive (ROTS)

1 = Deluxe Clone Trooper (ROTS)
1 = AT-RT with Driver (ROTS)
1 = BARC Speeder with BARC Trooper (ROTS)
3 = 1xClone Trooper 3-pack blue version (ROTS)
3 = 1xClone Trooper 3-pack green version (ROTS)
3 = 1xClone Trooper 3-pack red version (ROTS)
3 = 1xClone Trooper 3-pack white version (ROTS)

4 = 1xEE Clone Troopers Clean White
4 = 1xEE Clone Troopers Clean Colored
4 = 1xEE Clone Troopers Damaged White
4 = 1xEE Clone Troopers Damaged Colored

2 = 1xEvolutions yellow version
2 = 1xEvolutions grey version

5 = 1xClone Attack on Coruscant Battle Pack
4 = 1xJedi Temple Assault Battle Pack
2 = 1xSkirmish in the Senate Battle Pack
5 = 1xHunt for Grievous Battle Pack

1 = Clone Commander Cody (TSC)
3 = Clone Trooper Battle of Utapau (TSC)
2 = Scorch Republic Commando (TSC)

If I counted correctly, that is 107. No more than three of any one carded version, and no duplicate battle packs. It's possible that I did not account for all of them. Oh, and I have one 12 inch ROTS clone.

Edit - Added the Scorch figures. I also have the Republic Commando set on order already.

Kidhuman
08-04-2006, 06:58 AM
I just did my ROTS figures and these are my clones:

#6 - 5 carded 2 loose
#6 shocktrooper - 2 carded 4 loose, 2 from Senate Battlepack
#33 Clone Commander - 3 green
#34 Clone Pilot - 2 black, 1 grey from JTA battlepack
#38 AT-TE gunner - 2
#41 clone SA - 6
#49 Bacara - 1
#54 AT-RT Driver - 2
#57 Bly - 2
#59 Gree - 1
#65 Tac Ops Trooper - 4 carded, 3 from JTA set

1 of each 3 pack deluxe carded(12 total)
2 gray evo sets, 1 yellow
roughly 5 H&V clone troopers
1 H&V Bacarra
1 Hunt for GRievous battlepack(5 clones)
1 Attack on Courscant Battelpack(5 clones)

74 clones from ROTS and many more to come as they release them over and over again.

jedi master sal
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Jesus, Daddy Warbucks, have you figured the sheer cost of all those clones?

Yep as stated it's at least $8K, with about another $1K more to go for what's upcoming.

Have you noticed any yellowing or staining on this army of white figures? My AOTC clones are already turning yellow - I can see it by comparing them with any new white trooper I get. It really doesn't take long for the process to become apparent.

I haven't noticed it yet, but even if this is the case, since for the most part we see them in a reddish light on Geonosis and somewhat yellow light on Coruscant, if you have them set up in a diorama, it's not going to matter much. However if you're looking to do the ultra clean Kamino Diorama, well you might be out of luck.

You kind of army build commanders I see, Sal. I'm surprised you don't have more of the Target single pack clones or the Jetpack ones(though Jetpack clones are kind of sucky).

Yes, I like the commanders, and since I typically have enough troops, it almost warrant having that many commanders. You hit it on the head, I hate the jet pack trooper mold. I would have bought more of the Coruscant Battle Pack were it not for that mold. Would have been at least double the amount. Here's hoping Hasbro fixes this and either single cards them or reissues them in another battle pack. I didn't get enough of the grey Trooper Evolutions set and I'm kicking myself for it. As to the Target single carded clones, well there are three reasons for that. One, if they aren't in the movie I tend to not build them as much, two, the cost per figure was a huge deterrent, and finally availability. These were not too common in my area anyway, so cost aside, there wasn't much chance to buy more anyway.

On a note about the AOTC clones, while I don't have the tally in front of me, I can say with certainty that I have 3 sets each of the 4 different 4-packs that were made. I bought the super case of clones-that was 48 clones alone. Again owuld have been more had these been a bit cheaper.
The unfortunate thing about many of my AOTC clones is that they come from either the inferior 3-packs or the (slightly better but still inferior to SA) Red clone mold.

By far the ROTS clone molds kick arse over just about every AOTC clone mold (with exception to the SA one).

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten a couple more of the gray EVo clones because with that neat little belt they came with, they do make good regular Coruscant clones. Unfortunately I lost the accessories for the 2 that I have, so they remain commander types.

I only have about 18 AOTC clones. I'm not as into them. And I probably have about 50 Imperial troopers(from the original Trilogy), going back to 1995, including pilots, Death Star Gunners, etc. But I don't really army build those. I got 8 VSTC Biker Scouts and stopped amassing those there. That's the most I have of any one kind of Imperial trooper.

Kidhuman
08-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke, if you have an extar MIB sith evo set, I will trade you for a gray evo set.

Luuuuuuke
08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke, if you have an extar MIB sith evo set, I will trade you for a gray evo set.

Unfortunately I only bought one Sith Evo set, period. Or I would trade you.

(I knew Luuuuuuke was a lousy name to choose. It's a pain in the arse for people to have to count the number of "u"s:D)

jedi master sal
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Well I just spent the last 6 hours setting up, taking pictures of, and putting back into plastic bags many of my ROTS clones. I should be able to upload the pics tomorrow. What I shot represents only 1/3 to 1/2 of the total of my ROTS clones.

A brief description before I post them:
Utapau troopers-this set of photos includes all of my Utapau troopers (except two carded), and half of my Cody's as of this post. There are two customs in the batch off to the left hand side. Both have had most of their battle damage removed. The Cody in the middle has Obi-wan's light saber as well as an Obi holo from the Jedi Council set that is being used as a stand-in for Palpatine during order 66.
Tac ops/JTA troopers-this set include all but one carded Tac Ops trooper, as well as all but one set of 3 JTA troopers (still MIB) (One Tac Ops trooper is a custom in that I removed the battle damage from him. He's readily recognizable because he's the only one with his helmet off
Shocktroopers-these two sets include 1.) Set of #41 Shocktroopers (except for 2 still MIB from teh Battle PAck set, and 2.) all but 2 carded #6 Shocktroopers
Clone Pilots (the same 15 from the JTA sets), I have more than this, these ones were available at the time of the photoshoot. IIRC, I have at least this many more again in baggies in storage.
Firespeeder Pilots
White #41 clones-this set represents only a fraction of my overall #41 clones. Note there are two customs in this set of photos. One has had his battle damage removed and the other is actually a #6 mold with battle damage.
Commander Grees

I had several others to shoot but most of those only have 4-6 of each figure and only represented a small portion of my overall total for their respective character. So, I elected not to shoot them at this time until I can get all of them together at a later date to shoot.

Again those pictures should be posted tomorrow, so look for them then. (They will be watermarked and lo-res, so as to not have anyone steal them and call them their own, so just be aware that this was done on purpose, but the overall clarity of the pictures should suffice.)

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
08-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Again those pictures should be posted tomorrow, so look for them then. (They will be watermarked and lo-res, so as to not have anyone steal them and call them their own, so just be aware that this was done on purpose, but the overall clarity of the pictures should suffice.)

-Sal
I look forward to seeing it. I'm always wowed by armies though I'm a moderate army builder.

I figure I need to buy at least 20 battle droids though. I have a grand total of ZERO battle droids. I have an army of clones and no one for them to fight! I have one Droideka, and that's it. I actually saw a Crab droid or whatever it's called at KMart recently. Should have gotten it, though of course KMart rarely sells them at clearance prices. In fact, I think they're still $11.99.

jedi master sal
08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Okay here we go. I'm goign to start off small and work my way up, yes you'll have to click on through the links to see them.

Commanders Gree:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/CommandersGREE_SM-wm_1393.jpg

Firespeeder Pilots:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Firespeeder_Pilot_SM-wm_1380.jpg

Tac Ops troopers (bear in mind this is not all I have of these, I do have a few more in a storage bin-also note the one with the helmet off has had most of his battle damage removed. I wanted to have a "clean" version of this fig):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/TacOps_SM-wm_1303.jpg

Two different views of but a portion of the #41 clones I have:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/clones41_SM-wm_1397.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Clones41FR_SM-wm_1398.jpg

Clone Pilots (I have more of these. the ones in this particular shot are from each of the JTA battle packs I bought-minus the one still MIB):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Clone-Pilots_SM-wm_1376.jpg

Two shots of the Coruscant battle pack sets (I have one more set, but it's still MIB):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Coruscant_BP_SM-wm_1371.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Coruscant_BP_3_3-4_SM-wm_1370.jpg

Shcoktroopers (I have a few more of these, 4-#6 molds and 2-#4 still MIB) by the picture you can see the #6's on the left and #41 on the right:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/SHOCKTROOPERS_1287.jpg

3 views of the JTA troopers from the Battle Packs (I have three more but they are still MIB):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Front_JTA_SM-wm_1321.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/BE_JTA_SM-wm_1319.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/3_3-4_JTA_SM-wm_1327.jpg

Utapau troopers (this is ALL of my Utapau troopers, and half of my Commander Codys) Note the two off to themselves are "clean" versions that I cleaned with ELO (ask me about it by PM):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Clean_Cody_N_Trooper_1256.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Front_view_Utapau_clones_SM-wm_1272.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Landscape_of_clones_SM-wm_1247.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/3_3-4BEUtapauclones_SM-wm_1280.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Side_view_Utapautroopers_SM-wm_1273.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Partial_BE_view_SM-wm_1248.jpg

So there you have it. Now mind you this does not include other commanders, #6 clones, the rest of my #41 clones, AT-RT drivers, Shadow and Stealth troopers, etc. These were just the ones handy at the moment. But I think you get the drift. When the opportunity permits-in the future-I'll snap of pics of those too.

The final three pics show how I pack these. First each clone goes into its on baggie, then from there I put 5 clones in a sandwich sized baggie. Note I put the Shocktroopers, Tac Ops and JTA figs in the same box. There's another box with just Utapau and Cody figs, and the third one is a mix of ROTS clones. Of note in the mixed box, notice the white cardboard in the upper left corner. This box is tiered, so all you are seeing is the top tier. Beneath this are some AT-RT drivers, various commander clones etc. I elected not to shoot them at present until I can get them all together for a more impressive shot.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Shock-TacOps-JTA_box_1403.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Utapau_box_1405.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/jedi_master_sal/Mixed_ROTS_clones_1404.jpg

Whew, that was a lot of work setting up, shooting, putting back in plastic baggies. Hope you like.

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Daaaaaaaaaannng! And that's just a portion.

I love ROTS clones but I really think that this coming year, (well, beginning with the remaining clones from this year), I'll start collecting less of each type of clone. Apart from the Galactic Marine and the Kashyyk trooper, there just aren't any clones that scream for me to collect more than 2 of. But I'll still enjoy getting them.

Kidhuman
08-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Awesome Sal, just plain awesome. I know I saw the one I sent you.

jedi master sal
08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Awesome Sal, just plain awesome. I know I saw the one I sent you.

Yep it was the third column on the left 4th clone back...heh heh.

Glad you like fellas.

I'm not going to go as crazy on the galactic marines, and now that I've found out that the Kashyyyk clone will be nothing more than the VTSC Biker, well I'll probably stck to the 40 planned for. But dang I wish they would have got the helmet right.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
you know, ill just get appo as a grunt only. thats not how he really looks. if you google him you will see he is a 501st version of gree, except his mid section (between belt and chest plate) is black and his belt (in between the two ammo clips) is black and white. i found this pretty good reference shot of a 12' custom someone did.

Luuuuuuke
08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
you know, ill just get appo as a grunt only. thats not how he really looks. if you google him you will see he is a 501st version of gree, except his mid section (between belt and chest plate) is black and his belt (in between the two ammo clips) is black and white. i found this pretty good reference shot of a 12' custom someone did.

Wow, that's a really nice looking custom. I like the weathering.

I'll probably use him as a grunt too. To be honest, I didn't even notice this commander. Or maybe my memory is just bad. Then again, it should be fairly easy to customize a credible looking 501st commander (out of an SA Commander Appo) if you're willing to cut off the belt part and use the "skirt" of one of the Coruscant battlepack commanders. Then just take off the visor from a Clone Commander.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
actully you cant see him in the movie but you know the first 501st clone zett zukassa hacks down? thats supposed to be appo. the sgt.fox (the guy who pretty much poits a gun at bails head) takes over the legion, but appo stays alive in a bacta tank so when he gets out he kills fox and takes back the 501st, appo was killed on kashhykk during a wookie and jedi survivour uprising by this one jeadi master. its just in the movie he's on deferentiated by the green visor, and thats it. so i think this custom is more acurate. plus the hasbro commander appo is based on the star wars Purge comic, on the last pages the 501 rushes in to help vader kill some jedi and the guy they are foloing is a regular 501st with a blue pauldron so this appo is eu. so i'll only get him for some grunts.

Luuuuuuke
08-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Same here, I'll get him for a few grunts, though I might try to convert one into a commander and paint the "eyes" antifreeze green.

Banthaholic
08-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow Sal, those pics are impressive, most impressive.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Yousa have a grand army.

jedi master sal
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Wow Sal, those pics are impressive, most impressive.

Thanks. Almost there with the Utapau troopers. Looking to get 100 total. I've got 93, but one I "cleaned" up and wonn't be using in the diorama, so I really need 8 more then I'm done with that trooper.

Yousa have a grand army.

Thanks as well.

I never thought I'd have a chance to get this many clones, especially the Utapau troopers. But thanks to help from some of the fellas here, namely Tycho, Kidhuman, UKWildcat, msjedi and a couple others, I was able to very nearly reach the goal.

This is were I need to stress that I didn't scoop all of these up in my area. Again it's connections made here that made it possible. So for any new folks here, stick around, make some deals and you too can build up a network of fellow collectors. Don't expect it to happen overnight, as it took me sometime as well. But this is a great site for making deals with other collectors, providing you deal fairly and aren't out for profit.

Now that the Utapau clones are reshipping, I should be able (crosses fingers) to pic up the last few stragglers I need.

These armies are going to look MUCH better when they are put into the dioramas I have planned out for them.

-Sal

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-14-2006, 10:36 AM
your army is amazing. how did you do that? how long did it take!compared to that my armyis tiny, only 38 ep.2 and ep.3 clones put together plus a clone wars speeeder bike.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Holy crap! Those clones are damn impressive! No wonder I never found the Jedi Temple Assault pack. :D

I don't army build too much aside from just getting one of each clone release, which makes for a pretty good-sized army by itself. However I do buy more if I need them for dioramas - I have a few extra Sneak Preview AOTC clones and Shock Troopers, for instance, but nothing on that scale.

DarthQuack
08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Sal

1. That is just insane, what do you do for a living where you can afford that many clones???

2. You should have had one of the clones looking off in the distance instead of paying attention. :laugh:

3. That must have taken forever to get them all to stand up lol.

jedi master sal
08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
your army is amazing. how did you do that? how long did it take!compared to that my armyis tiny, only 38 ep.2 and ep.3 clones put together plus a clone wars speeeder bike.

It took 6 hours to take them out of their indiviual baggies, set them up, and put them back in their baggies, then bigger baggies (5 clones per) then in their respective cataloged boxes.

Holy crap! Those clones are damn impressive! No wonder I never found the Jedi Temple Assault pack. :D

As noted below, I didn't hoard these from my area. Instead I made deals with guys from all over the country, most of which came from members here at SSG.

Sal

1. That is just insane, what do you do for a living where you can afford that many clones???

2. You should have had one of the clones looking off in the distance instead of paying attention. :laugh:

3. That must have taken forever to get them all to stand up lol.

1. Well for one I have a very understanding fiancee who also collects (not SW, but other stuff, so she "gets it"). Beyond her, her family and my work, there's pretty much only SW... To specifically answer your question, I'm a graphic designer/pre-press operator at a major University. It's a modest job. Decent pay with great benefits.

2. Actually I was going to set them up playing football against each other, but it took 6 hours just to do what I did and I didn't want all those clones hanging around left opened out of their baggies. (And so I've answered question 3 as well).

Also, please do not think I bought these all at once. This was over several months for the utapau clones and almost a year for the Tac Ops troopers and JTA troopers. Many of the clones you see were purchased or traded for through deals mostly here and then with some local collectors.

Some of SSG's members have been very good to me in this regard and as promised I have their information noted so that when I build those massive dioramas planned for, their names will be placed on the "Thank You" plaque that I'm going to have on the diorama.

Also as I've noted before, in some small way I'm helping those guys too. Basically by buying product in their areas, their stores will be able to order more stuff, which sometimes means NEW stuff. At the least the guys don't see as much of a glut of product as they might had I not bought from their area (with their help).
Many of those guys know that the figures are going to a fellow collector who isn't out for profit. Maybe the thank you plaque has something to do with it as wel, I don't know. Mostly it's just that fellas are glad to help, even when they know I probably already have 20 of said figure.
It's those links posted though that I'm sure gives them at least a small twinge of pride knowing they helped build that army. While those armies are owned by me, in a strange way it's like it's a representation of SSG's army.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
08-15-2006, 02:26 PM
JMS - That is a cute little collection of clones. Sort of a mini collection, huh. Much smaller than my own, but cute just the same.

Just kidding. VERY nice. In fact I am a little jealous. I am only building the SA clones (I won't even buy the battle packs with the #6 501st clones) and only 18 of each (I do have extras in the packages...but still nowhere close to the number you have) because that is how many will fit on each tier of my Mini Mag Stands.

I am thinking of having a custom MM Stand done for me so that I can make the formations bigger. I would like to do movie accurate formations and that looks to be 9 x 10 (9 rows of 10 clones each or 10 rows of 9 clones DOYP) as near as I can count. I also want to get the leaders correct and some of them are not out yet. I am looking forward to getting about 100 Appos. Those 501sts you have look great in formation! And it is common knowledge that this Appo is just a 501st trooper with a pauldron. I hope the figure is not sculpted around the pauldron like the AT TE gunner was. That will put the kybosh on me building that one instantly.

It is also tough to find the long blaster rifles for all of the extra figures that don't come packaged with them...but I am making headway there.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
i just arrived here in arizona for vacation and guess what i just found, sitting on the forn tof the shelves? two 501st clones and 2 at-te gunners! AND I BOUGHT THEM! and i also got kit fisto and a 2nd blue gaurd.

jedi master sal
08-16-2006, 07:54 AM
JMS - That is a cute little collection of clones. Sort of a mini collection, huh. Much smaller than my own, but cute just the same.

Uh, right...

Just kidding. VERY nice. In fact I am a little jealous. I am only building the SA clones (I won't even buy the battle packs with the #6 501st clones) and only 18 of each (I do have extras in the packages...but still nowhere close to the number you have) because that is how many will fit on each tier of my Mini Mag Stands.

No need to be jealous. This isn't a competition with me. I just enjoy building these like this. Curious why you wouldn't want the #6 JTA clones? While not 100% accurate, they're still a very good action figure.

I also want to get the leaders correct and some of them are not out yet.

Really? Other than the soon coming Appo and the yet to be made Neyo their really isn't any other commander they haven't made yet. Granted Gree's paint job was horrid...I'm going to have to get around to customizing one of mine here soon.

I am looking forward to getting about 100 Appos. Those 501sts you have look great in formation! And it is common knowledge that this Appo is just a 501st trooper with a pauldron. I hope the figure is not sculpted around the pauldron like the AT TE gunner was. That will put the kybosh on me building that one instantly.

Well, I probably won't get that many, though who knows. Actually I think he's going to be MUCH harder to build. First since he's a specific commander, I don't know, but I don't think he'll show up in too many case assortments. Kinda like Bly and Gree. I'm shooting for 20-40 of him. Though I'm going to have to check out a Bly fig without the Paulron to see if I like it. It would suck to get a bunch of Appo's only to find that there is a gap in the neck area created by the paulron. I can't wait to see pictures of this to be more sure.

It is also tough to find the long blaster rifles for all of the extra figures that don't come packaged with them...but I am making headway there.

How so?? I've got tons from the JTA sets. There's a small weapons baggie in each of those sets that includes several more blasters and rifles. That and some of the accessory sets came with rifles, as well some clones came with both a blaster and rifle. So I'll just take from some and give to others as naccessary to fulfilll my diorama needs. Though if I have the time/room/extra cash, I'd repro the hell out of the blasters and rifles, just so I could have extras

i just arrived here in arizona for vacation and guess what i just found, sitting on the forn tof the shelves? two 501st clones and 2 at-te gunners! AND I BOUGHT THEM! and i also got kit fisto and a 2nd blue gaurd.

Very cool. Yeah, I just found two more Tac Ops and a gunner and bought them as well, even though I don't like the mold as much.

Luuuuuuke
08-16-2006, 09:29 AM
I'll probably buy about 5 Appos, one to keep as a commander, and the rest to supplement my army--which is more of a platoon. Of course that assumes they're SA. From what I've seen in the pictures I'm still not absolutely sure they are, but I probably have not paid enough attention.

Darth Cruel
08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll probably buy about 5 Appos, one to keep as a commander, and the rest to supplement my army--which is more of a platoon. Of course that assumes they're SA. From what I've seen in the pictures I'm still not absolutely sure they are, but I probably have not paid enough attention.

I am starting to think the same way. The articulation is definitely starting to appear Cody-ish to me with no ball joints on the ankles and the swivel shoulders instead of the ball-type joints. And that would also be enough to send me from army-building 100 of these to buying one to keep on the card.

jedi master sal
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Meh, I'll buy at least two. One loose/ 1 carded. But if they have decent articulation then I'll be building these as best as I can. No more than 40 though as betwen the Tac Ops and JTA troopers I have about 60 or so. SO 40 Appos would make a nice 100. Well 101. I do need to KEEP one as Appo himself.

Does anyone else wan to call him ALPO??? Each time I say the name even in my head I think or say Alpo, like the dog food...Huh, maybe it's Alzheimers...

Luuuuuuke
08-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I am starting to think the same way. The articulation is definitely starting to appear Cody-ish to me with no ball joints on the ankles and the swivel shoulders instead of the ball-type joints. And that would also be enough to send me from army-building 100 of these to buying one to keep on the card.

Actually, the more I look at the pictures, I don't think it's an SA clone. He looks a teensy bit buff and I don't see an articulated waist. The SA clones tend to be sleak and you can see that the stomach area is articulated. The pictures don't suggest that.

But people must be thinking it's an SA clone for a reason, I guess.

Darth Cruel
08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Does anyone else wan to call him ALPO??? Each time I say the name even in my head I think or say Alpo, like the dog food...Huh, maybe it's Alzheimers...

According to my son, it is Commander "Apple".

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
actully like i said before appo really looks like gree in 501st deco and has a anti-freeze blue visor. that commander is another clone commander from eu, called commander bow, and he appears at the end of the comic book called Purge, he comes with a detachment of the 501st to rescue lord vader whom was fighting a nest of jedi.so i'll get 8 to be grunts 1 to custom into appo.

Darth Cruel
08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
actully like i said before appo really looks like gree in 501st deco and has a anti-freeze blue visor. that commander is another clone commander from eu, called commander bow, and he appears at the end of the comic book called Purge, he comes with a detachment of the 501st to rescue lord vader whom was fighting a nest of jedi.so i'll get 8 to be grunts 1 to custom into appo.

What exactly are the similarities between Appo and Gree? Do you have a link to a pic (not the 12" that was a good pic, but not for comparison)?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
The only place I've seen the Gree-lookin' 501st Trooper was on the load screens for the story mode of Battlefront II. He was pretty cool. And really, have they actually announced that this figure is indeed Commander Appo? I'm inclined to think it is but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

However, he still looks like the #41 clone to me. From what I can tell, the belt is upside-down, and the shoulders look correct.

Darth Cruel
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
After reading the script from the movie, I have made peace with the fact that one of the clones in the Jedi Temple massacre was Appo in the basic clone armor with the 501st legion markings. And that is how he will be in my collection. I can get behind a variation of him from the games, books, comics or anywhere else, but the basic Appo does not wear any other gear than the other clones in the 501st.

On the subject of this particular figure being a #41 sculpt, I am hoping it is but the current Hasbro pic lends no difinitive evidence and I am skeptical. He does have the upside down belt...but so did Cody. His colored shoulder armor is not larger like Cody's is...but niether was it in the movie and the fact that it more closely resembles the #41 sculpt shoulder armor means nothing if we use this pic for reference. There is no antenna as the #41's normally have, but that could be due to the pauldron (however, Mace Windu's Attack Batallion Clones have the antenna even with the Pauldron). And that pic of Appo does not clearly show ankle articulation.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-17-2006, 09:17 PM
um i'd like to see your reference that suggesests that cody was the 41 sculpt. but that reference pic was actully acurate according to my sources (i.e. internet). bu the first clone jett zukassa cuts down was origonalyy supposed to be appo, but they changed it and made him to be a 501st version of gree, for lack of a better term. i found some customs of appo on Custom Alliance. i just started reading Dark Lord:The Rise of Darth Vader and it seemed to identify appo as the leader of the shock troopers, i wasnt sure, he said before that that appo was theleader of the 501st, but it also said that shock troopers escourted vader off jis ship. just for good measuer i put 501st troopers and shocktroopers in my diorama of that scene.

Phantom-like Menace
08-19-2006, 12:23 AM
From what I understand, and this is the widely accepted belief if I'm not mistaken, Appo was originally designed with the web gear, holster, and colored visor, and that design made it as far as concept art (this would be the same time more or less they may have designed Faie who later survived only in the Battlefront II game as the engineer) until they took that design, recolored it and used it for Gree. Appo then went without a unique design and looks the same as his troops just like Thire, the commander of the Shocktroops.

Edit: For what it's worth, I plan to customize a 501st with the original Appo design, since I prefer that look.

Now standard belief failes us rather often. We have to look no further than "Commander Fox," who turned out to be two different people: another 501st named Sergeant Fox and the Parjai Trooper.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 08:57 AM
actully fox was a sergant, the one that said "I'm Sorry sir, it's time for you to leave" as a matter of fact. but appo looked like a 501st gree origanally and was later made into gree so thats how i make my reason that he looks like a 501st gree.

jedi master sal
08-19-2006, 08:58 AM
From what I understand, and this is the widely accepted belief if I'm not mistaken, Appo was originally designed with the web gear, holster, and colored visor, and that design made it as far as concept art (this would be the same time more or less they may have designed Faie who later survived only in the Battlefront II game as the engineer) until they took that design, recolored it and used it for Gree. Appo then went without a unique design and looks the same as his troops just like Thire, the commander of the Shocktroops.

Edit: For what it's worth, I plan to customize a 501st with the original Appo design, since I prefer that look.

Now standard belief failes us rather often. We have to look no further than "Commander Fox," who turned out to be two different people: another 501st named Sergeant Fox and the Parjai Trooper.

Yep. .

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 09:10 AM
i like the origanal appo design and no matter what, even in my jedi temple, he'll appear that way,even though that fist trooper jett Zuckassa cuts down it appo! i swear the commander appo listing on wookiepedia says that,and he spends 7 monts in a bacta tank, than killed sergant fox (the guy who threatened bail organna, then took over the 501st without permission) then took over the 501st. and i finished dark lord, so when the 501st is on kasshyk with darth vader, jedi master roan shryne decapatates appo and vader says "i was rather fond of commander appo" becasue appo helmet rolled to vaders feet with appo's head still in it. but now you most of the story of appo (the parts that i know.) so my figure wont be just a regular 501st because i waont be able to tell them appart so ill make him the concept one .

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2006, 12:02 PM
He does have the upside down belt...but so did Cody.
Look at your Cody figure and a #41 clone . . . Cody's belt is right side up. The only sculpt with the upside-down belt is the #41 sculpt (which was used for many other clones, but not Cody).

Darth Cruel
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Look at your Cody figure and a #41 clone . . . Cody's belt is right side up. The only sculpt with the upside-down belt is the #41 sculpt (which was used for many other clones, but not Cody).

I noticed this after I made the post. I am still trying to find the pic that I saw the belt upside-down in. I am having trouble in that area. Just the same...any reference to Appo's gear being any different than the other 501sts has come from EU. The movie is plain enough. I Like EU, but I am also at peace with Appo being outfitted exactly like the other 501st clones.

Tritex
09-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Just read this - had a similar discussion on other threads. I think the main thing is to think outside of the movies. Theres a lot that happens in books, games etc that involve other Clone troopers. I agree more regimentation would have helped, a bit like all stormtroopers looked mostly the same!
Clone spotting though does my head in as I keep getting Dijievu!!