PDA

View Full Version : 12" Non-Attendee Anakin as Vader Sith Apprentice Shipping

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
For those who didn't make it to San Diego Comic Con this year but were able to order the Sideshow 12" exclusive, the figure has started hitting Fed-Ex.

Ah, that magical time in a collector's life when his exclusive action figures are shipped to him. The non-attendee version of the SDCC-exclusive 12" Darth Vader Sith Apprentice figure is on its way to collectors now. The figure is an evil repaint of the 12" ROTS Anakin Skywalker figure and comes with an exclusive lava droid base, it's limited to 6,000 units total and only a fraction of those were made available to collectors not able to make it to the convention (aka "non-attendees").

Sideshow still is taking wait list reservations on their website (http://sideshow.directtrack.com/z/8733/CD1384/), so if you missed out, you may still have a chance.

Luuuuuuke
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
I got this one from a friend that went to Comi-Con. I really like this figure, my first Sideshow(have Obi Wan on waitlist). Not as menacing as photos suggest, but definitely great looking. The robe is a little stiff though. It doesn't drape over the head or shoulders that smoothly and is peaked at the hood.

And another great thing is you can take the figure and the accessories out and not mess up the packaging because as has been mentioned, it's magnet sealed.

jonthejedi
07-29-2006, 04:44 AM
I have this one on order...but haven't even received an email from Sideshow.

Sith Lord 0498
07-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I got this one from a friend that went to Comi-Con. I really like this figure, my first Sideshow(have Obi Wan on waitlist). Not as menacing as photos suggest, but definitely great looking. The robe is a little stiff though. It doesn't drape over the head or shoulders that smoothly and is peaked at the hood.

And another great thing is you can take the figure and the accessories out and not mess up the packaging because as has been mentioned, it's magnet sealed.

Yeah, the pics that other collectors have been posting elsewhere make Vader look stoned rather than evil.

As for the hooded cloak, it can sit smoothly and w/o peak...but it takes quite a bit of manipulating the wire in the hood and fidgeting with the hood cloth.

Blue2th
07-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, I got my notice from SS that he will be shipping. Even though I went to SDCC, I couldn't be sure if I was going to be able to make it till the last minute. So I ordered him to make sure I would get one either way.

Luuuuuuke
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the pics that other collectors have been posting elsewhere make Vader look stoned rather than evil.

As for the hooded cloak, it can sit smoothly and w/o peak...but it takes quite a bit of manipulating the wire in the hood and fidgeting with the hood cloth.

:D Honestly, he looks better in person than he does in the pictures that have been posted on the forums. A lot better. But less evil than he does in the Sideshow website pictures.

And I get what you mean about manipulating the cloak. I've seen pictures of some people's Anakin and they managed to make the cloak hang pretty good on the figure, so I'll have to try that.

JediTricks
07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Sideshow 12" Anakin as Vader SDCC-Exclusive - The red Lords of the Sith colorscheme is a real powerful statement, far more than the green on the Order of the Jedi boxes. Strangely, Anakin gets a weird collar around his face in the tray, you can slip the figure out from under this without removing it though.

I just finally got him out of the packaging and I am very disappointed in this one, the exclusive paint job is far less than what we were led to expect, his eyes are painted with Sith Eyes but the rest of the face is not - the dark circles which make up much of the COVER OF THE BOX do not appear on this figure at all, that annoys the **** out of me. Also, the regular figure's flaws are just as bad here: the sculpt isn't accurate, the sleeves are trouble to work with, and the right arm falls out constantly which is utterly no fun; something I hadn't heard from others about regular Anakin though: the shoulders are weak as hell, nearly incapable of holding themselves up much less an accessory. Plus there's less articulation in the right wrists than the left, limiting some poses. And I don't like how small the left forearm is.

The outfit is good work in theory, but in practice I find that all the various cloth elements like the separate shoulders under the vest and the leathery belt over the cloth one move around so much that it becomes a chore to keep everything looking right. The robe looks pretty good, the brown color doesn't bug me as much as I expected, and the wire hood still works great, though the hood ends in the back in a point which isn't wired and wants to stand up even though it shouldn't, requiring that it gets mashed down every once in a while. Once you put the robe on though, that right arm is going to be a pain about staying in place, and getting it re-attached with the robe is next to impossible, it's awful.

The accessories are great work, there's lots of detail, although that holoprojector is undoubtedly too small, and there seems like too much gold on the robo-arm. The lightsaber and deactivated hilt are great, and the hilt fits on the covertec belt holder snugly. The exclusive lava droid stand is of course not to scale, and it's only the tippy top of the droid, no features or anything, the figure can't get in an extreme action pose but he has enough room to stand comfortably. The stand's color is good, sculpting is pretty decent all pocked up with a few splotches of melted areas from the lava, and there's a hole on the top that accomodates the actual stand portion.

All in all, I'm not thrilled with this piece, and it cost me a hell of a lot between shipping, tax, and somehow non-attendees have to pay $5 more. Grade: C+

Sith Lord 0498
07-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Sideshow 12" Anakin as Vader SDCC-Exclusive - The red Lords of the Sith colorscheme is a real powerful statement, far more than the green on the Order of the Jedi boxes. Strangely, Anakin gets a weird collar around his face in the tray, you can slip the figure out from under this without removing it though.

I just finally got him out of the packaging and I am very disappointed in this one, the exclusive paint job is far less than what we were led to expect, his eyes are painted with Sith Eyes but the rest of the face is not - the dark circles which make up much of the COVER OF THE BOX do not appear on this figure at all, that annoys the **** out of me. Also, the regular figure's flaws are just as bad here: the sculpt isn't accurate, the sleeves are trouble to work with, and the right arm falls out constantly which is utterly no fun; something I hadn't heard from others about regular Anakin though: the shoulders are weak as hell, nearly incapable of holding themselves up much less an accessory. Plus there's less articulation in the right wrists than the left, limiting some poses. And I don't like how small the left forearm is.

The outfit is good work in theory, but in practice I find that all the various cloth elements like the separate shoulders under the vest and the leathery belt over the cloth one move around so much that it becomes a chore to keep everything looking right. The robe looks pretty good, the brown color doesn't bug me as much as I expected, and the wire hood still works great, though the hood ends in the back in a point which isn't wired and wants to stand up even though it shouldn't, requiring that it gets mashed down every once in a while. Once you put the robe on though, that right arm is going to be a pain about staying in place, and getting it re-attached with the robe is next to impossible, it's awful.

The accessories are great work, there's lots of detail, although that holoprojector is undoubtedly too small, and there seems like too much gold on the robo-arm. The lightsaber and deactivated hilt are great, and the hilt fits on the covertec belt holder snugly. The exclusive lava droid stand is of course not to scale, and it's only the tippy top of the droid, no features or anything, the figure can't get in an extreme action pose but he has enough room to stand comfortably. The stand's color is good, sculpting is pretty decent all pocked up with a few splotches of melted areas from the lava, and there's a hole on the top that accomodates the actual stand portion.

All in all, I'm not thrilled with this piece, and it cost me a hell of a lot between shipping, tax, and somehow non-attendees have to pay $5 more. Grade: C+

I'd say eBay the sucker then. Most of the technical problems are present on Anakin as well, but it sounds as though he's the better of the two. From what I've seen, those sinister Sith eyes are more like "high on pot" eyes (good lord let's hope Maul looks more evil).

Part of the reason why the shoulders don't support themselves as well as Luke is because that wrist gauntlet is so darn heavy!! Also, the lack of wrist articulation there is disappointing.

Between the two, I think you'd be happier with Jedi Anakin. A few simple mods and it's a stellar figure!!

JediTricks
07-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, I didn't like the look of regular Anakin, the dark circles under the exclusive's eyes were definitely the tipping point in the look for me, going from "meh" to "interesting" - so naturally that's what Sideshow decides to leave off. The overall sculpt is all wrong, especially in profile, so the regular version wouldn't get a pass from me on that.

The shoulder issue isn't about the robo-arms, it's weak on the left as well, and it feels weak even when I'm holding them, not like it's going to break, but like it's super loose.

I've never outright sold anything from my collection before, but that was the instinct I had with this one as well, $72 is a lot of money. Part of me wants to try to force some sort of appreciation for it, and I still have ROTS Obi-Wan coming and he'll need an enemy ;) so I really need to think it over some more. :ermm:

Sith Lord 0498
07-29-2006, 05:45 PM
The shoulder issue isn't about the robo-arms, it's weak on the left as well, and it feels weak even when I'm holding them, not like it's going to break, but like it's super loose.

I guess I lucked out then because my Anakin's human arm is just as firm as Luke's arms. :D

JediTricks
07-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Showoff. :p

Luuuuuuke
07-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I like my Sith eyes Anakin. I do agree the face does not look as sinister as the pictures, and even the packaging have suggested. That has been my biggest dissapointment. But I saw the regular Anakin at a comic book shop and I think this one is just better. Besides, Anakin does kind of look strung out at the end of ROTS. But I can definitely understand why someone would be dissapointed. It's not as "dark" looking as he should look. The scar is hard to see and lines between his eyebrows and near his mouth that should give his face a haggard look simply aren't there. But they are in the pictures.

An aside: when my friend gave it to me, she said that if you dunk the head in warm or hot water, the dark features come out. She said this to me in a very earnest manner and I don't think she was pulling my leg. But I do think someone was pulling her leg, because I tried it(hey, nothing to lose), and it didn't do anything.

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 09:39 PM
If it was color-change, you'd see a visual deviation in the coating around those areas or in the plastic itself, a la CTC Stormtrooper's chest, but there is none and no mention of color-change materials. The main photo on the box shows the figure with the additional paint the figure doesn't have, I believe it's too subtle to be color-change and just isn't there at all.

I don't believe I mentioned the scar, but it's not painted and barely visable, there's a few other small ones that suffer the same fate, I should have mentioned that in my previous comments, I suppose I left them out because I felt they were part of the missing paint issue with the eyes.

Luuuuuuke
07-30-2006, 11:57 PM
I did not spend $$ on the regular Sideshow Anakin so maybe that's why I'm fairly pleased with this one. The way I rationalize it, he's just not Mustafar Anakin, so he doesn't look as haggard. He's just Anakin after becoming a Sith. If he were a Mustafar Anakin, his hair would have to be pretty messed up.

Still, it is kind of uncool that he doesn't look like he does in the pictures.

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 03:19 PM
That was my thinking too, I didn't buy regular Ani because I thought this one better captured the overall ROTS Anakin experience... then they copped out on what really delivered for this figure. I don't really understand why they did this.

Blue2th
07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
I just opened mine. I'm not impressed. Doesn't look at all like the box art. What gets me is they sent a damaged box, that obviously didn't happen in shipping. I don't suppose I could return it and get a replacement as they are sold out. Has anyone ever done that?

Luuuuuuke
07-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I just opened mine. I'm not impressed. Doesn't look at all like the box art. What gets me is they sent a damaged box, that obviously didn't happen in shipping. I don't suppose I could return it and get a replacement as they are sold out. Has anyone ever done that?
You could probably inquire about whether they could just send you a box. You never know. Customer service has to count for something. I'm not sure I'd risk sending the whole thing back if you really want to keep it. Like you said, it's sold out, and there's a really finite amount of these apparently.

I could understand your dissapointment Jedi Tricks. The way I see it though, all things considered he does look pretty cool and I can't imagine I'd like the regular Anakin more. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. But you're right, it's kind of baffling that they'd shirk on the final product. He clearly does not look as promised. And since it seems mostly a question of a paint job, that just makes it more confusing that Sideshow would fall short on this figure.

I mean, if the Unleashed Anakin could look menacing, I don't know why this one couldn't (although that Anakin looked maybe a little too menacing).

jonthejedi
08-01-2006, 04:43 AM
I'm still waiting for an email that mine shipped. You guys have me curious, now. Is it so bad I should refuse it & save the $$$.

Luuuuuuke
08-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm still waiting for an email that mine shipped. You guys have me curious, now. Is it so bad I should refuse it & save the $$$.
Nah, it's not so bad at all. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, it's a great looking figure. I'm thrilled that I got it. But it just doesn't look quite like it's been portrayed. In my opinion it looks like a pre-Mustafar Anakin. Still evil, but not at the end of his ropes.

I have him posed outside of his box, and even managed to make his robes drape over him so he looks pretty good.

If you're collecting this line and want an Anakin, I'd keep it. As far as I can tell, it still looks better than the regular one.

Veers
08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I got mine today. Love it.

Luuuuuuke
08-02-2006, 12:10 AM
I got mine today. Love it.

I feel the same way. The quibbles I have with it don't change my overall opinion of it. I think it looks great. Glad I got it.

Darth Cruel
08-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Sideshow has, in the past, replaced boxes for these figures.

Blue2th
08-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks, I guess I will call their customer service and see what can be done. It's a small thing but irritating nonetheless.

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah, it really is irritating when you're paying this much for a collectible. Mine has 2 slightly crushed corners, but nothing I'm willing to jump through hoops to replace.

Blue2th
08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah that's the trouble, the hoops. Mine also has some bent corners too, as well as the other damage. At least the front side is fairly good. This will be the first one that has come damaged. I hope It's not a trend. I feel like pulling him out and painting the shadows under his eyes though, but I probably won't.

Darth Cruel
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Must be the non-attendee version that has the missing rings under his eyes. I got mine at the con and he has the rings. Not as pronounced as the box...but I am good with them as I didn't like how prominent they were in the movie and on the box anyway. It just didn't look sinister to me. it looked more like eye black on a football player.

Blue2th
08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Must be the non-attendee version that has the missing rings under his eyes. I got mine at the con and he has the rings. Not as pronounced as the box...but I am good with them as I didn't like how prominent they were in the movie and on the box anyway. It just didn't look sinister to me. it looked more like eye black on a football player.
Mine is the same. It is just not as pronounced as the picture on the box. I have the other Anakin Exclusive with no eye shadow. Sith Darth Vader Anakin will look cool fighting Obi-Wan if we ever get him! Need to make some kind of a flame lava background.

Luuuuuuke
08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
I got mine from the Con (from a friend who went). It definitely has the rings under the eyes, but like you said, they're not very pronounced. Not only that, the scar and other character-giving lines in the face are not, I guess the word is 'highlighted." They lack a certain shading. I particulary notice the lines between the eyes, just beneath the forehead. They're very pronounced in the pictures and give him a lean and angry face. These are not very visible in person.

And the eyes themselves--the pupils--do not seem to burn with the same color of flame. They're a little duller than in the pictures.

Having said that, I really do like this figure. But the truth is the truth. He looks different than promised.

JediTricks
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Ok, I went back and looked, you guys are right, there is the faintest pretense of paint there, less so than on the chin even (not that I have any idea why they painted the chin and cheeks, but whatever), it is so unnoticable I had to hold it up in the light and wait for my eyes to fully adjust. It's unacceptable to me, it's a very underwhelming paintjob on a headsculpt that is somewhat lacking, the prototype photos look so much better it's almost of a different product.

Blue2th
08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Prototypes. Rarely do you get one as nice as at least the ones I've seen up close. I noticed at SDCC, the Hasbro prototypes were painted really well. I hope that we get as nice as the rest of the Sideshow ones that were on display. I can't remember if the Sith Anakin displayed was the prototype with more eye shadow though. Probably was.

JediTricks
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I am aware that prototypes come out better (and generally without overpainted eyebrows and lips ANAKIN!!!), but this isn't even in the ballpark IMO.

Luuuuuuke
08-04-2006, 06:02 PM
The eyebrows is a key problem. They're not very well defined. In the prototype, they look almost like cross-crossed stitches, not too thick, which gives his eyes and brow a fiercer look. In person, they look undefined, kind of slathered on.

He does look better from the neck up with the robe on because he pretty much does have the headsculpt of a large action figure.

But as I rarely ever collect high-end Star Wars collectibles, maybe my standards are just not as high, so I'm happier about this figure. In fact, that's probably the case.

The one thing that worries me a little is whether Obi Wan Kenobi will look like the pictures we've been seeing. If Sideshow Anakin Sith Apprentice didn't, what's to say Obi Wan will?

jonthejedi
08-09-2006, 04:10 AM
I finally got mine yesterday at dinnertime via UPS, opened the box to find the ignited lightsaber was completely missing, and the accessory tray looks like the tape was tampered with on one side. I suspect this was bought at SDCC & returned. I just can't win with Sideshow lately.

Luuuuuuke
08-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I finally got mine yesterday at dinnertime via UPS, opened the box to find the ignited lightsaber was completely missing, and the accessory tray looks like the tape was tampered with on one side. I suspect this was bought at SDCC & returned. I just can't win with Sideshow lately.

Well, that's weird. I'm sure Sideshow would send you the lightsaber though.

You're right, it must have been opened already.

Blue2th
08-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Check his eyes jonthejedi. You can't tell from the eye shadow as we've discussed. Make sure you have the Sith version. Though I doubt it, you might have gotten a switcheroo if it's been opened.

jonthejedi
08-10-2006, 04:34 AM
It's definitely the Sith-eyes version, but the more I examined the tape on the accessories tray, the tissue paper between the box lids and even the packing bubble bag...I DO suspect this was bought & returned. The figure side looks untouched. This is the first problem I've ever encountered with Sideshow. I called cust. service asap, and they're going to try to get one from the factory & Fed-Ex it out. What if they can't? I wasn't comfortable sending the whole thing back, with it being Ltd. Ed. & sold out. They kinda agreed.

Luuuuuuke
08-11-2006, 01:06 AM
I called cust. service asap, and they're going to try to get one from the factory & Fed-Ex it out. What if they can't? I wasn't comfortable sending the whole thing back, with it being Ltd. Ed. & sold out. They kinda agreed.

You mean they're Fed Exing you just the light saber, right? I wouldn't send the whole thing back.

jonthejedi
08-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Yup, and evidently...it's coming from the US warehouse, not overseas. They're just really backed up with shipping right now post SDCC. I mentioned the access. tray had tape that looked like it was tampered with, and they flatout denied that happening...that they quality-control check everything...well, obviously they missed this one. They checked my account to see if I had a history of returns & such...I didn't. In all honesty, after all the Apes, Bonds, Highlander & now SW & Hot Toys...this is the 1st time anything has ever been missing.

Luuuuuuke
08-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Tell them while they're at it to send you a new Anakin head with dark patches under the eye and a darker scar:D

jonthejedi
08-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I know. If you're gonna do Sith, do Sith.