PDA

View Full Version : Jabba's dias. And other stuff.....

Jargo
07-30-2006, 01:36 PM
So we got a deluxe jabba, and we got his backrest. we got his hookah and his snack bowl with funny little frog creature. we have salacious B. Crumb, Slave leia, but where is the actuall Dias? Surely a box like slab can't be that hard to sculpt or release?

If i'm honest, Sideshow have done a first rate job with their rendition of this iconic image, jabba on his Dias with salacios B. Crumb and Wol cabbashhiite, they've even done a fantastic job on Worrt and the sand creature that becomes Worrt's supper.

Now, going off on one again as I'm wont to do - I would or could imagine a boxed set. On the bottom is the dias, on that are a re-release of jabba and his backrest with a modification to add on the armrest control panel. Under jabba is the animal skins. around him the cushions and food and small detritus. those could be sculpted onto the dias if need be. In front of jabba we have Salacious B. Crumb, A fresh sculpt of Slave leia in a lounging pose so she can lean against jabba's belly. Behind jabba is a re-release of the commtech jawa holding a palm frond fan.

So the only new things to the set are the Dias, Leia and a slight modification to the back rest. But as a box set it would look freakin awesome. Imagine a window box where the front and sides are windowed and the top of the box casts a slight sadow over the figures, it would look really atmospheric. and very cool.

Leai would in theory only need new legs and hip section if i remember right she's posed leaning slightly to one side on the POTJ deluxe version. but meh, a new sculpt would be better.

If it were me I'd follow up with a second box set of the Rebo band drummers. and throw Yarna in there as a way to get her out there.

Of course a set containing Eye hanging out 3PO and Bartender R2 would be ok. Though I'd give R2 his electro prong (that he shocks salacious crumb with) as a plug in/add on. BG-J38 the gaming droid w/ gaming machine, CZ-3 the secretary droid and an obligatory B'Omarr monk brain carrier droid.

Then some 3-packs like the cantina bar sets.

set 1: Shasha Tiel (uses some rebel ishi tib parts), Yoxgit (uses some Zutton and Ugnaught parts), 2nd Skiff guard Weequay (could use POTF2 version and resculpt the torso)

set2: Taron Nal'Fas, (uses some Bossk parts), 2nd Skiff guard Nikto (remodelled cinema scene nikto), Sgt. Doallyn (all new figure).

and finally a weird critters never really seen onscreen but in there somewhere set that includes Sic Six, Attark, Cane Addiss, Loje Nella and Worrt and his munchable critter. Simply because they look odd and cool.

Now obviously I don't expect any of that to ever come to fruition. hasbro is far more likely to throw more old cinema scene and regular release figures in a box and follow the money for old rope ethos.

However, I'm just saying that it would be cool if it were done how I suggest. We're obviously never ever going to get a sail barge. So to me the next best thing is to complete as well as can be done the throne room scene.

I'm being an optimist and refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with this being a great set of ideas. I'm publicly saying to hasbro to prove me wrong and do something good with jabbas palace and all the unmade characters from it.

DarthQuack
07-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Lots of great points, if only we could all go say "this is what we want, now just make it and give it to us."

Droid
07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Preach on.

I would like the dias, a Salacious Crumb that is articulated, and a Leia that can lounge as you state.

I'd also like Sgt. Doallyn, Taym Dren-garen (guard that shot Luke), Woof (Palace Klaatu), Shasa Tiel (the Ishi Tibb), a Gamorrean that can hold a force pike, the Jedi Rocks drummers, Yarna Yarna Yarna, Hermi Odle and Worrt.

I think 3P0 with eye out and 3P0 covered in green goo would be good.

If I had those and a few other things you mentioned I really think my Jabba's Palace diaroma would be complete.

Hoover, the little anteater guy, would be a good "not on screen" but on set creature.

Banthaholic
07-30-2006, 06:21 PM
If sideshow can do a kisk-arse version in 12" of this there is no reason Hasbro can't get us one for 3 3/4"

Some of the opening post might make for a good question to Hasbro.

I'm all for any and all additions to Jabba's section of ROTJ. It's probably my favorite part of all 6 movies.

Jargo
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
yeah, but it is only a wishful thinking sort of thread. like one of those 'if I ruled the world' sort of thoughts. some of those ideas are exactly what hasbro was getting a laugh out of with their little joke. Persoanally i like these threads coz it makes people get creative and in some way justify their favourites. Or it brings up ways of doing stuff and combinations of characters maybe people hadn't thought of before. In general i mean.

Sad thing is I don't really ever do any research now. I've absorbed so much i can just rattle off these names and not even think about it. And i don't watch the movies any more either.

The only thing i haven't added to my list there is the spit roast from behind the Dias. It should get made eventually just like the cantina bar is being made but I can't decide who it should come with seeing as no-one actually interacts with it. Maybe Fozec and that oriental skiff guard. Maybe a Gamorrean with special squishy body so he'll fit in the Rancor's mouth. I don't know. All i do know is that if it does get made my Dexter Jettster will be making a guest appearance behind it coz I think he'd look cool there. With gragra. Cooking Gorgs. Or Worrt.

I like to play......

Devo
07-30-2006, 07:22 PM
More great ideas DADDYPANTS. All that stuff you mention like the spit roast, the jawa waving the frond and the cushions would all make excellent film-accurate set dressing. That Slave Leia sounds rather fetching aswell. Even better would be if the Jabba was repainted because the job done on the 04 figure was horrible. The additional figures you mention would also be greatly appreciated particularly skiff guard types.

Kidhuman
07-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Ditto the above comments.

Banthaholic
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd like to see the fanning Jawa done, with the fanning leaf being done with a light fabricy type of material instead of a lego-like plastic leaf

I always thought his Dias could be done in two half parts and sold sort of like the Trash combactor scene was a few years back, with a few figures with each set

jedi master sal
07-31-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm all for this idea. Heck, if I can spend over $375 on the Sideshow figure and sets, I would easily spend $30 for a nice boxed action figure set like this. Some of those other figures you mentioned are needed as well to further complete/flesh out Jabba's palace scene as well. I agree that Yarna would be a great pack-in for one of these sets.

Now if not only Hasbro listens but actually makes it, instead of cracking jokes about it. (Meaning Yarna of course.)

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Here's what I don't get, Kenner's version of the dais is pretty decent, why didn't Hasbro just reuse it? Is it smaller than I remember and won't fit modern Jabba? Did the mold get misplaced or damaged? Is Hasbro concerned that there's sculpted doody inside? ;)

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/vintage/tempVjabba.jpg

Slicker
07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I love how the vintage dais came with a shackle for the non existent Slave Leia/Oola/Yarna. Or maybe it was designed for Yarna?

Droid
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Here's what I don't get, Kenner's version of the dais is pretty decent, why didn't Hasbro just reuse it? Is it smaller than I remember and won't fit modern Jabba? Did the mold get misplaced or damaged? Is Hasbro concerned that there's sculpted doody inside? ;)

I have the vintage dais and use it for the Deluxe Jabba from a few years back. It is properly scaled and looks great. I think people who really want a dais should buy one on Ebay. I just think they should make one in the modern line and hope for a packin that hasn't been made before.

I always thought it was funny that the thing opened up. I think it was somehow supposed to be the rancor pit in there rather than Jabba's toilet, which is the only other alternative.

Slicker
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I would assume that it was supposed to be the Rancor pit as there were skulls and bones in it...unless Jabba was into eating people.;)

Jargo
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
have you noticed the grating under where jabba sits on the sideshow version. speaking of jabba poop as we were.......

I'd say re-use the vintage dias mould but it needs some retooling. get rid of the rancor pit bars and make the top solid. make the gap below the dias a smidge less. put the rings through the gargoyle mouths. get the grooves on the top of the dias right like sideshow did. give it a dirty paint wash. oh and must must must make sure that the control panel goes onto the arm of that backrest. give the hookah a string pipe like the vintage one coz the pipe on the saga deluxe jabba is way too thick and inflexible.

It could be fabulous thing to behold. I've just put out my Jabbas palace figures again and it sooooo needs the dias. jabba really isn't very imposing when he's at ground level.
Even if they made the dias Jabba sits on in the sail bargeit would be something. We'll never get a decent scaled palace playset. unless you can afford the upcoming ATTAKUS version. which few can. so the figures are destined to always be grouped loosely. therefore either dias would work. but it would still mean leia and Salacious crumb and the Jawa could be packed in. in fact, leia could have alternate legs. one set standing so she can pull on the chain round jabba's neck and one set in the lounging position, one bent and one straight. Fantastic brainwave Mr. Dp!

'course it would still cost a real bundle.

Reefer Shark
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I have the vintage dais and use it for the Deluxe Jabba from a few years back. It is properly scaled and looks great. I think people who really want a dais should buy one on Ebay.

I did that also. Ended up geting one for around $6, and it was well worth it!