PDA

View Full Version : What's In a Name?

PloKoon2385
01-26-2002, 08:21 PM
So, where do they get these weird titles, and what do they mean? For example, Return of the Jedi. Most think it is the return of Luke to face Vader, but there are three more possible reasons I can think of.
1. Luke returning to Tattooine
2. Luke returning to Dagobah
3. Vader returning to being a Jedi

And also, The Empire Strikes Back
1. Attack on Hoth
2. Capture of Solo
3. Wounding Luke the "new hope" after as revenge for destruction of Death Star

And A New Hope,
1. Luke as a Jedi
2. Luke and Han as Leia's rescuers
3. Luke getting off planet after Uncle and Aunt's Death

And there are alot more examples of titles with more than one meaning. Do you have any to add?

GNT
01-26-2002, 08:35 PM
You forgot TPM and AOTC

The Phantom Menace:

1.Sidious being the "Phantom" who just lurks around on Coruscant.
2. Maul being the "Menace" who just bugs all the Jedi and is killed in the end
3The word "The" was just used to make it sound better ;)

Attack Of The Clones(I'll try and keep this spoiler free)

1. Clones Attack
2.Somthing is getting attacked by the clones.

PloKoon2385
01-26-2002, 08:43 PM
I knew I forgot something.
TPM
1. Palpatine
2. Maul
3. Jar Jar......:D
4. Sebulba
5. Nute Gunray and Rune Haako and the Trade Federation
(btw my brother thinks they are gay...:crazed: weirdo..., just thought i would point that out...)

AOTC
1. The Clones
2. umm...............:confused:

GNT
01-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
I knew I forgot something.
TPM

Its like it never existed,wouldn't we all like that? :)

PloKoon2385
01-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by GNT

Its like it never existed,wouldn't we all like that? :)

No I wouldn't have liked that. I liked TPM, actually. I know it was not the best, obviously, but it wasn't TOO bad. If it weren't for TPM we wouldn't have the Jedi Council. And, I think it was satisfying enough for me, but I wouldn't mind better, of course.

bigbarada
01-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Return of the Jedi could also signify the return of the Jedi Order. It's pretty much assumed that Luke will try and rebuild the Jedi after his father dies.

I think A New Hope could be refering to the destruction of the first Death Star giving the oppressed population of the galaxy the new hope that the Empire isn't invincible and can be defeated.

Empire Strikes Back is just the Empire trying to reestablish it's dominance and get payback for the Battle of Yavin.

The Phantom Menace, according to GL, refers to someone who supposedly isn't even in the movie. (shudders as the whole Darth Bane idea begins to resurface.) At this poin though I think it refers to the Sith Order beginning to come out of hiding.

SithDroid
01-26-2002, 09:09 PM
First of all Return of the Jedi. It was originally entitled Revenge of the Jedi. Luke was supposed to get his revenge or something to that effect, but Lucas said that Revenge was not a Jedi trait so he changed it to Return of the Jedi. As in there is now a return of the Jedi line. Remember all the Jedi have been destroyed and Luke is the only one, plus Leia, left to bring back the Jedi, hence Return of the Jedi.

Empire Strikes Back. Simple, they strike back after having the Death Star destroyed.

A New Hope. Luke is the new hope spoken of.

The Phantom Menace. Darth Sidious since he is never found out, IS the Phantom Menace.

Attack of the Clones. Attack of the Clonetroopers.

PloKoon2385
01-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Have you no imagination Sith Droid?;) Take a look at all the possiblilities, they all (or atleast most of them) make perfect sense to me. I know you have an imagination in there somewhere, so you should use it.:crazed:

JediCole
01-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
First of all Return of the Jedi. It was originally entitled Revenge of the Jedi. Luke was supposed to get his revenge or something to that effect, but Lucas said that Revenge was not a Jedi trait so he changed it to Return of the Jedi. As in there is now a return of the Jedi line. Remember all the Jedi have been destroyed and Luke is the only one, plus Leia, left to bring back the Jedi, hence Return of the Jedi.

Empire Strikes Back. Simple, they strike back after having the Death Star destroyed.

A New Hope. Luke is the new hope spoken of.

The Phantom Menace. Darth Sidious since he is never found out, IS the Phantom Menace.

Attack of the Clones. Attack of the Clonetroopers.

Good points all, SD. However, the story behing Revenge vs. Return is somewhat clouded in dubious Lucas retro-history and myth. As the story goes (And I was in High School when ROTJ came out and spent an agonizing three years waiting for the release and/or any information available, and of course, when all of this <story> came about. Remember, we didn't have SSG and/or the internet back then, just magazines and the less than informative fan club.) Paramount was busily working on Star Trek II: The Vengence of Kahn when LucasFilm announced Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi. Well, lacking any faith in the intelligence of the American movie going public, Paramount cried foul and suggested that Lucas retool the name of his movie so as to avoid confusion with theirs. Lucas did as he was asked and renamed the film as we know it today, later retrofitting the incident with reasonable back-story. Needless to say, Paramount later decided "Wrath" was more striking on a marquee than "Vengance" and that film too was in for the name change we know and love today.

Now, as for the title propper, I had always looked at "Return of the Jedi" as more of a nod to the return of the Jedi faith, the return of the Jedi Order. Luke is the first new Jedi in at least a generation (following their not-to-be-sneezed-at over 1000 generation prior run). His presence as a Jedi marks the "return of the Jedi" to the Star Wars universe. I never really saw it as "Luke's return" or even remotely "Vader's/Anakin's return", but more along the lines that the "Jedi" in "Return of the Jedi" was the universal umbrella term for the Jedi Knights and their order.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 12:09 PM
Yes I do have an imagination. I was just coming up with the obvious reason as to why they are titled that way.

GNT
01-27-2002, 09:22 PM
First of all Return of the Jedi. It was originally entitled Revenge of the Jedi. Luke was supposed to get his revenge or something to that effect, but Lucas said that Revenge was not a Jedi trait so he changed it to Return of the Jedi.

The following is a quote from the Man himself about the thing :)

Originally posted by George Lucas from the Annotated Screenplays
"By the time we got down to doing the third film, we'd had so many difficulties with people trying to report stuff with the media and the press and everything that we called the film 'Revenge of the Jedi' to throw people off. The title was always intended to be 'Return of the Jedi', but we made the film under the code name 'Revenge of the Jedi'. Unfortunately, what happened is Fox started promoting the film before we could tell them not to use the title. We were lucky that they didn't start promoting the film under the title 'Blue Harvest', because we were also using that as a bogus title.

SithDroid
01-27-2002, 11:17 PM
That's interesting. I could have sworn that GL asid somewhere that he changed the title due to the fact that Revenge was not a Jedi trait. It makes sense and I wish I knew where I heard it from. Can anyone help me out here? Perhaps both are true. He has been known to say one thing one minute and say something completely different the next.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
01-28-2002, 02:26 PM
He has been known to say one thing one minute and say something completely different the next.

George Lucas has made a career out of doing that.:) :D ;)

I think both ARE true. I think he really intended to call it "Return" all along, but when he finally announced the title he said it was because he realized that revenge was not something a Jedi would seek.

(Although Obi-Wan seemed pretty bent on vengence at the end of EPI, didn't he?)