PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY, MTV!!!!

JEDIpartner
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
...You're officially irrelevant!!!

Yeah... 25 years ago, MTV splashed onto the scene and programmed all sorts of revolutionary bands and videos. Today, you're lucky if you could find a solid hour's worth of music on at any point during the day. Once famous for breaking new and obscure acts. MTV now only plays a handful of urban videos and some alternative-type acts. If it weren't for TRL or whatever is on these days, you'd be hard-pressed to find a pop video on MTV. Good going, morons. :upset:

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Watching MTV is sort of like seeing a live-action movie on Cartoon Network.

Uh, wait.

It's like seeing a travel show on Food Network, or a reality show about motorcycles on Discovery Channel.

Hmm, do any networks actually show what's in their titles anymore?

Slicker
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I love how they made MTV2 to play videos and now that's getting taken over by regular programming too. I wonder how long til MTV3...

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Who cares about MTV??

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
DQ was telling me earlier that VH1 Classic was replaying the first day of MTV today in honor of the anniversary. I thought that was a cool nod.

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Yea, I wish they didn't use the new DJ's and kept it old school.

maatu
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
25 yrs later. and every year it's getting worse. when do they play video's.it's heading into the toilet. it ain't the mtv that i remember.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
DQ was telling me earlier that VH1 Classic was replaying the first day of MTV today in honor of the anniversary. I thought that was a cool nod.

Yes, I recognized like 2 songs after watching 10 videos or so ("Rapture" by Blondie and The Pretenders "Brass in Pocket"). I recognized most other of the artists but not their songs.

Was it true that when MTV went on air, they had something like only 300 videos to show and a good chunk of them were by Rod Stewart? If that was the case, then the first days of MTV must have gotten a bit repetitive.

Banthaholic
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
MTV is still on?

Darth Jax
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
when mtv first went on air, majority of the country still was without cable. 25 years later i've given up on tv in general and got rid of cable. mtv has helped launch many careers over that time (and not just of the artists they play)... adam sandler, denis leary, and jon stewart among others frequented the channel long before they became household names.

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I cannot remember the last time I actually watched anything on MTV, I remember when there was a time when there wasn't a day I didn't watch MTV, and my tastes haven't changed much since then either - their product has.

What amazes me is that music companies are crapping themselves over lower sales and haven't noticed the correlation between their declining sales and the lack of music videos available to the national TV audience.

maatu
08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
i want my mtv.

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
i want my mtv.

Beverly Hillbillies.

(Counting the seconds now until someone, probably JT, points out why I said that.)

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Weird Al, UHF. He really went to town with that parody too.

(explaining: Dire Straights released the song "Money for Nothing" in '85 with Sting doing a vocal track of the then-infamous MTV slogan, the song - in part due to Sting's "I want my... I want my... I want my MTV" strewn throughout - became a hit, and its music video used crude, early CGI characters. 4 years later, Weird Al's movie "UHF" parodied this music video while Al drifted off to sleep while watching an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies and dreamt of a Beverly Hillbillies parody video of "Money for Nothing" using "Beverly... Beverly... Beverly Hillbillies" as a perfect parody of Sting's famous lyric all while in the same crude CGI style as the original Dire Straights video. And that, children, is how babies are made.)

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Wow, it only took 180 seconds.

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Weird Al, UHF. He really went to town with that parody too.

(explaining: Dire Straights released the song "Money for Nothing" in '85 with Sting doing a vocal track of the then-infamous MTV slogan, the song - in part due to Sting's "I want my... I want my... I want my MTV" strewn throughout - became a hit, and its music video used crude, early CGI characters. 4 years later, Weird Al's movie "UHF" parodied this music video while Al drifted off to sleep while watching an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies and dreamt of a Beverly Hillbillies parody video of "Money for Nothing" using "Beverly... Beverly... Beverly Hillbillies" as a perfect parody of Sting's famous lyric all while in the same crude CGI style as the original Dire Straights video. And that, children, is how babies are made.)

Right. . . except that there is no such band as Dire Straights, because Mark Knopfler's old band is called Dire Straits.

(Sorry. It's not often that it's me getting the chance to correct you. :p

Darth Jax
08-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I cannot remember the last time I actually watched anything on MTV, I remember when there was a time when there wasn't a day I didn't watch MTV, and my tastes haven't changed much since then either - their product has.

What amazes me is that music companies are crapping themselves over lower sales and haven't noticed the correlation between their declining sales and the lack of music videos available to the national TV audience.

i thought the declining sales were due to the fact that most albums contain 2 (maybe 3 if you're lucky) good songs and then 5 or 6 songs as filler. why should i buy the whole carp filled cd for $15 if i can get the 2 songs i want for a buck each. when you didn't have an option (cause unless you went to an actual record store i never saw singles anywhere), you'd shell out for the album and listen to those couple songs over and over and skip past the rest. i'd go back to buying more cd's if they didn't suck so much.

Darth Instigator
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I like The Real World and who can forget Remote Control, there are others too, Pimp My Ride, and Punked

Kidhuman
08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Remote control was a great show, I loved it. Thats where Adam Sandler got his start as Stud Boy.

JT, I know you at least watched Yo Mamma on MTV as you commented on it, so it was a few months back at least.

Banthaholic
08-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. I remember a time when having a good video mattered. I still wonder how MTV has video music awards and nominees when other than TRL there is no videos played.

There were numerous albums I used to buy because I was introduced to the band from MTV, and/or I liked the video.

Darth Instigator
08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
yea and colin quinn and Kari Wuhrer, that show ruled, lol

JEDIpartner
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I didn't mind it when MTV had maybe three shows that weren't music related but this is just ridiculous anymore!

El Chuxter
08-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Does TRL still come on? At least they play 20-second clips of videos.

JON9000
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
MTV is aimed at a young demographic and music videos aren't very interesting anymore (weren't ever, really). When most of us first got it, there was no network made for a tween/teen demographic, and the entire concept of music videos was a novelty. The novelty of the video is gone, but the demographic still has needs and wants, just not videos.

Although anybody who wants to talk about how unfair the Estate Tax (death tax) is should watch a single episode of "My Supersweet Sixteen" and then get back to me. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Right. . . except that there is no such band as Dire Straights, because Mark Knopfler's old band is called Dire Straits.

(Sorry. It's not often that it's me getting the chance to correct you. :pI had 2 minutes to post it before I had to leave, you're lucky I spelled anything at all.

i thought the declining sales were due to the fact that most albums contain 2 (maybe 3 if you're lucky) good songs and then 5 or 6 songs as filler. why should i buy the whole carp filled cd for $15 if i can get the 2 songs i want for a buck each. when you didn't have an option (cause unless you went to an actual record store i never saw singles anywhere), you'd shell out for the album and listen to those couple songs over and over and skip past the rest. i'd go back to buying more cd's if they didn't suck so much.No, that's always been the case, especially in MTV's heyday. I blame corporate meddling, the more music gets overproduced and homogenized, the lower the sales go, and the only answer the music industry has to that is to homogenize and overproduce even further.

JT, I know you at least watched Yo Mamma on MTV as you commented on it, so it was a few months back at least.How sad is it that you know my MTV viewing habits better than I? :p That was random chance viewing though, when was the last time BEFORE that?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I like some shows on MTV, but mostly the idiotic stuff that's mostly cancelled (Jackass, Viva La Bam, Andy Milonakis). Speaking of which Jackass The Movie 2 is coming out soon . . . hmm, better be good, those guys are all old now.

Darth Jax
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
No, that's always been the case, especially in MTV's heyday. I blame corporate meddling, the more music gets overproduced and homogenized, the lower the sales go, and the only answer the music industry has to that is to homogenize and overproduce even further.

my point was digital music downloads (which weren't around during MTV's heyday). i'd buy a horrible album to get those couple of songs i'd like, cause i didn't have much choice (in small-town kansas cd/cassette singles were completely unknown). if i wanted to listen to whatever hair band was popular i could buy the album or wait for headbangers ball. todays youth don't have to put up with mediocre product - they'll skip the album completely and just buy whatever song is hot at the moment.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
I like some shows on MTV, but mostly the idiotic stuff that's mostly cancelled (Jackass, Viva La Bam, Andy Milonakis). Speaking of which Jackass The Movie 2 is coming out soon . . . hmm, better be good, those guys are all old now.
I watch all that on MTV2 (except that unfunny turd Milonakis), plus they've got WonderShowzen and show occasional reruns of Team Sanchez.

Rocketboy
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
...You're officially irrelevant!!!Where have you been the last 10 years? :D

I only find myself getting angry when I watch Mtv.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I only find myself getting angry when I watch Mtv."...as I use a Beavis avatar."

Rocketboy
08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
"...as I use a Beavis avatar."Which went off the air in 1996.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Well....errmmm...uhhhh....No, YOU shut up!

JEDIpartner
08-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Where have you been the last 10 years? :D

I only find myself getting angry when I watch Mtv.

10?? I've been saying that for the last 12!!! It's just that I thought to grandly re-proclaim it on its 25th Anniversary. :lipsrsealed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
VH1 Classic is the channel that best displays the hallmarks of any music channel; it actually shows music videos. They have a great mix of alternative blocks, classic rock, heavy metal, and 80's music. It doesn't get any better in terms of music television, but the only sad thing I note, that this channel exclusively played music 24 hours, but now I see certain VH1 "Reality" specials creeping in, like the Supergroup reality show, and musical movies like a chronicle of the Sex Pistols, not to mention a few others. Just hope that these shows don't overtake the programming aspect of the channel.

BTW, found this article that highlights the Top 25 moments of MTV.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/01/mtv.at.25.ap/index.html

JediTricks
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
my point was digital music downloads (which weren't around during MTV's heyday). i'd buy a horrible album to get those couple of songs i'd like, cause i didn't have much choice (in small-town kansas cd/cassette singles were completely unknown). if i wanted to listen to whatever hair band was popular i could buy the album or wait for headbangers ball. todays youth don't have to put up with mediocre product - they'll skip the album completely and just buy whatever song is hot at the moment.But I don't think the majority of music industry sales comes from the internet, it's not the chief market so they don't really need to look to it for direction. Plus, there's some albums where only 2 or 3 songs are hits but the whole thing is great and by buying individual tracks you miss out (like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, that album is meant to be listened to in its entirety and in order).

I literally cannot remember the last music video I have seen.

Rogue II
08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
VH1 Classic is the channel that best displays the hallmarks of any music channel; it actually shows music videos. They have a great mix of alternative blocks, classic rock, heavy metal, and 80's music. It doesn't get any better in terms of music television, but the only sad thing I note, that this channel exclusively played music 24 hours, but now I see certain VH1 "Reality" specials creeping in, like the Supergroup reality show, and musical movies like a chronicle of the Sex Pistols, not to mention a few others. Just hope that these shows don't overtake the programming aspect of the channel.

VH1 Classic is pretty good, but they are starting to have more shows sneak in there like you mentioned. Some non-video programming isn't bad, like when they played concert videos(like Page & Plant Unleaded and Pink Floyd's Pulse) or documentaries on bands. I'm not big on the idea of showing misical movies and I certainly hope they keep away from the reality stuff.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I literally cannot remember the last music video I have seen.

I can: "Rockin' Deuce."