PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good Deadwood site?

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I've been looking for a cool, informative Deadwood site, something that separates fact and fiction, but gives a fair deal of weight to both. I've only been able to find tourist info, sites by snobs who decry the inaccuracies of the show, useless flornbesque fan sites, and about 4,365,229 biographies each for Calamity Jane and Wild Bill.

It'd be ideal if there was a list of people, places, etc, with comparisons between fact and fiction on one page.

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I have looked and found the same as you.

JimJamBonds
08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Wikipedia has both fact and fiction in its Deadwood files.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but it's Wikipedia. I could talk to a drunken schoolmarm and learn more, and it'd be more reliable. :)

JimJamBonds
08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah, but it's Wikipedia. I could talk to a drunken schoolmarm and learn more, and it'd be more reliable. :)

Wahhhhh?!?!?!?!?!?! lol

Ji'dai
08-11-2006, 09:47 PM
If you find one, let us know. I looked around when season one premiered and was able to piece together some real-life historical background of the characters mostly from Deadwood tourist sites.

The July issue of "American Heritage" magazine sports Seth Bullock and Alma Garret on the cover and features a rather uninsightful interview with Deadwood creator David Milch. The five page spread is a bit disappointing as the sympathetic interviewer allows Milch to defend the show's explicit language, violence, and sexuality. For a magazine on American history I think they really missed the boat on this one. I would've really liked to see a companion article on the real-life history of Deadwood and a dossier on each of the major players at the time of the gold rush. Ah well, can't judge a magazine by it's cover I guess.

El Chuxter
08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, the consensus I'm finding among all the folks I know is that there's no such animal. If I can ever get any of my other projects done, I might have to try to rectify this glaring pothole in the information superhighway.

Kidhuman
08-15-2006, 10:56 PM
I aksed the lady from HBO who came to the job on Monday and she said they hired historians to research Deadwood. She doesnt know what websites they used for the info though. I assume they used alot of books as well.

JimJamBonds
08-15-2006, 11:05 PM
The July issue of "American Heritage" magazine sports Seth Bullock and Alma Garret on the cover and features a rather uninsightful interview with Deadwood creator David Milch.......

I agree there isn't anything in that article that I haven't already heard Milch say on the Season I or II dvd extras.

Kidhuman
08-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, I sent W. Earl Brown a message on myspace asking him abou t good websites and this is his response:

The real city has a website with tons of info. Deadwood.org I think it is. The Adams Museum in Deadwood is a great resource. They are also online.

Earl

Kidhuman
08-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Deadwood.org doesnt have much, but here is the direct link for the adams museum (http://www.adamsmuseumandhouse.org/)

Kidhuman
10-14-2006, 10:54 PM
I found this website (http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-DeadwoodHBO.html) also. Hope it helps you somewhat

JimJamBonds
10-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Good site there, thanks KH!