PDA

View Full Version : World War ONE movies

Tycho
08-04-2006, 01:07 AM
There is a great deal of films made about the 2nd World War, but not many about the first:

Legends of the Fall touches on it.

The film adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front is an excellent piece.

Behind the Lines (about a British war time hospital for veterans suffering mental anguish) is a good and lesser known flick.

But what else is there?

Anyone?

Darth Jax
08-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Sergeant York and A Farewell to Arms both had world war I settings. Anything about the red baron would be WWI as well.

CaptainSolo1138
08-04-2006, 06:37 AM
"The Lost Battalion" was a TV movie from a couple years ago starring Rick Schroeder. From IMDB:

As the First World War draws to a close, American troops penetrate deep into German held French territory, under pressure from French and British allies to advance quickly and smash the last of the German Army in France. "The Lost Battalion" is the true story of a group of 800 American soldiers, attached to the 77th American Division, who were ordered to advance into the Argonne Forest, against heavy German resistance, and hold their position at whatever the cost.For being a made for TV movie it was really, really good. I want to say it was shown on the Hallmark channel (Odd, I know) and every once in a while they'll replay it.

There's also "The Fighting 69th" with James Cagney. From Amazon:

"The Fighting 69th" is a First World War regiment of mostly New York-Irish soldiers. Amongst a cocky crew, perhaps the cockiest is Jerry Plunkett, a scrappy fellow who looks out only for himself. The officers and non-coms of the regiment do their best to instill discipline in Plunkett, and the chaplain, Father Duffy, tries to make Plunkett see the greater good, all to no avail. Behind the lines or in the trenches, Plunkett acts selfishly and cowardly, eventually costing the lives of many of his fellow soldiers. A final act of cowardice leads to terrible consequences, but Plunkett sees in them a chance to redeem himself...if only he can.

Tycho
08-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be able to order by mail The Lost Battalion - which appears to be just the kind of war movie I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Anyone here actually seen TLB?

JimJamBonds
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
How about "Johnny Get Your Gun", I haven't watched it but the book is quite graphic.

CaptainSolo1138
08-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Anyone here actually seen TLB?I've seen it probably a half dozen times. I'd recommend it.

Tycho
08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
That's cool CaptainSolo, because I just ordered it. I'll probably get it Monday, Tuesday, or later, so my review of it will have to wait a little bit.

But I hope I like it.

Rocketboy
08-04-2006, 12:49 PM
How about "Johnny Get Your Gun", I haven't watched it but the book is quite graphic.I've never seen the movie, except for the clips Metallica used in their video for "One," but I agree the book is really good. I managed to find an old, beat up copy.

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/b/103-7033963-5146219?ie=UTF8&node=909750) has a list of WW1 movies.

JimJamBonds
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I've never seen the movie, except for the clips Metallica used in their video for "One," but I agree the book is really good. I managed to find an old, beat up copy.

I haven't gotten a chance to see the movie either, Metallica bought the rights to the film for the video so I'm no sure if its even on tv anymore. Copies pop up on Ebay everynow and then.

plasticfetish
08-05-2006, 03:04 AM
The Big Parade (1925)
Wings (1927)
Hell's Angels (1930)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Paths Of Glory (1957)
Gallipoli (1981)

Tycho
08-05-2006, 02:02 PM
What is Gallipoli about? The fact that it's a more recent movie (1981) means it might be up there in terms of color, effects, and quality (to my taste). - Some older B&W's can be great classics, too I know.

Darth Jax
08-05-2006, 06:24 PM
while it almost entirely during wwII i believe there's a scene in the big red one from wwI.

nice to see ya back tycho.

Blue2th
08-05-2006, 07:13 PM
What is Gallipoli about? The fact that it's a more recent movie (1981) means it might be up there in terms of color, effects, and quality (to my taste). - Some older B&W's can be great classics, too I know.
Gallipoli is about Australian troops under British command being ordered to advance on the Turks wave after wave and being slaughtered. It's a real sore spot with the Aussies to this day my aunt told me so............Good to see you are back Tycho!

Qui-Long Gone
08-05-2006, 08:59 PM
What about this new WWI movie I saw trailers to at United 93....it's about the first piolots of WWI and the epic dogfights....can't remember the title to it, or who's in it....

Tycho
08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
What about this new WWI movie I saw trailers to at United 93....it's about the first piolots of WWI and the epic dogfights....can't remember the title to it, or who's in it....

That sounds cool. That might be the Red Baron movie (not the title, but the subject matter).

haha - If Snoopy the dog is in it, it might be called "It's The Flying Beagle, Charlie Brown."

j/k

Rocketboy
08-05-2006, 11:25 PM
It's Flyboys (IMDB page (http://imdb.com/title/tt0454824/)), starring James Franco in theaters September 29.

Tycho
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
That movie (Flyboys) looks so awesome! I'm going to have a new favorite movie soon. It's like Pearl Harbor only 27 years earlier!

I had no idea they had so many planes fight in World War One - I thought it was such new technology that there were only a handful of fighters used mostly for bombing runs.

Blue2th
08-06-2006, 04:13 AM
"Hells Angels" is another great WWI flick. In black and white, but way ahead of it's time. Directed by Howard Hughs. It's got some really good dogfights. They used former WWI fighter pilots with lots of in-air footage and crazy flying. I think some pilots lost their lives in the filming of it.

Rocketboy
08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
That movie (Flyboys) looks so awesome! I'm going to have a new favorite movie soon. It's like Pearl Harbor only 27 years earlier!That doesn't make any sense - how can it look awesome and look like Pearl Harbor?

Thats like saying "good crack dealer."
:D

jonthejedi
08-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Before you guys see "Flyboys," check out Fox Home Video's The Blue Max(see my post under Flyboys. Best WWI aerial combat movie TO DATE. That may change next month.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I found this great website that explains all the reasons World War One happened and who fought on what sides, how war technology evolved, etc.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/origins/causes.htm

Did you know the Germans had submarines in World War One? I always related that U-boat warfare to WWII. But it's been going on for far longer.

Yeah I do know about the first sub used in the American Civil War - but the a fight along the coast seems far more easier to believe than German U-boats dominating the Atlantic that early in history.

JimJamBonds
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I found this great website that explains all the reasons World War One happened and who fought on what sides, how war technology evolved, etc.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/origins/causes.htm

Did you know the Germans had submarines in World War One? I always related that U-boat warfare to WWII. But it's been going on for far longer.

Yup, the sinking of the Lusitania (sp?) went a long way towards getting us in the war... well that and the Zimmerman telegram.

Yeah I do know about the first sub used in the American Civil War - but the a fight along the coast seems far more easier to believe than German U-boats dominating the Atlantic that early in history.

Actually it goes back to the Revolutionary War. http://www.nautilus571.com/bushnell_turtle.htm

Tycho
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Man I would get clausterphobic in that TURTLE! It must have taken all of Fred Flintstone's energy to peddle that propeller too. Any harbor, no matter how calm, still has adverse conditions for being in a really small vessel. It's hard to imagine that you could maneuver that thing under a navy war vessel and not have the crew hear you slamming up against the hull.

That thing is scary!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-09-2006, 09:01 PM

We watched Gallipoli in one of my European History classes. It was about 8 years ago, so I'm kinda fuzzy on the details. I do remember sorta like being akin to the Battle of Ft. Wagner & the 54th of Massachusettes. The Aussies were no match for their Turk opponents. I also remember a young Mel Gibson starring in it.

plasticfetish
08-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Mel who? ;) (Yeah, he's in it.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/

and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gallipoli

Blue2th
08-09-2006, 09:36 PM
We watched Gallipoli in one of my European History classes. It was about 8 years ago, so I'm kinda fuzzy on the details. I do remember sorta like being akin to the Battle of Ft. Wagner & the 54th of Massachusettes. The Aussies were no match for their Turk opponents. I also remember a young Mel Gibson starring in it.
And the British commanders knew that they didn't stand a chance, yet repeatedly ordered the charge. I need to watch it again to find out the reason why. Something to do with the British hating the inferior colonists, the good for nothing but cannon fodder Aussies. You'll find no "God save the Queen" on that side of my family.

jonthejedi
08-10-2006, 03:44 AM
There's alot of great WWI history in Young Indy Chronicles, too.

Tycho
08-10-2006, 03:58 AM
I never saw the Young Indiana Jones shows.

How many episodes were there?

Was it pretty good?

JON9000
08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
One of my favorite movies of all time also happens to be a WWI movie. Lawrence of Arabia defies description, I'll only say that it requires a certain maturity to fully fathom.

The movie stands up to the test of time admirably. Watching the arab tribes succeed in their military goal then immediately splinter upon needing to govern is timely stuff.

jonthejedi
08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Tycho, couldn't even tell ya how many Young Indy's there were. Some came out as mini-movies, others 1-hr. episodes. Rick McC. told us at CIII they "were coming" soon. I remember alot of WWI trench warefare with Indy fighting with the Belguins since America hadn't entered the war yet. By the way...I had the distinct privilege of seeing Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen some years back when it was restored & recut to David Lean's liking. It is a classic.

Tycho
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll have to look into Lawrence of Arabia.

I had no idea that Indiana Jones fought in World War One. I didn't suspect he was old enough.

I know he's a fictional character, but how old is Indiana Jones anyway? (movie by movie, young Indy series as well).

And what happens in Indy, stays in Indy ;)

JON9000
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen some years back when it was restored & recut to David Lean's liking. It is a classic.
The NC Museum of Art shows movies on a bigscreen outdoors all summer. and Lawrence is coming up in the next few weeks. I seem to remember Young Indy actually meeting T.E. Lawrence in one of the episodes.

jedimom
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I was gonna mention the Young Indy series. They were pretty good epsidoes. If I recall correctly, he lied about his age to get into the War.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I was gonna mention the Young Indy series. They were pretty good epsidoes. If I recall correctly, he lied about his age to get into the War.

Yes, he did....he was like 15 or 16....something ridiculously crazy....it was a good series....

jonthejedi
08-15-2006, 02:28 PM
JON9000, I heartily recommend seeing Lawrence on a big screen at least once in your life if possible, It's incredible, espec. the desert scenes as you can imagine. I do remember Indy meeting T.E. Lawrence twice in the course of the series. My most vivid recollection, though, is him & his friend Remy fighting the Germans in the trenches & in Africa. I remember the gas warefare stuff was pretty grisly. WWI for sure shaped Indy into the hardened adult he became.

2-1B
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I read "All Quiet" but never did get around to seeing the movie version.

Flyboys does look interesting, I had a certain uneasiness watching the trailer because it seemed to reflect the danger those guys were in up there. Wow.

Tycho
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I read "All Quiet" but never did get around to seeing the movie version.

There are 2 movie versions. Perhaps the older b&w version is the best. I bought the 70's color one though and its quite good. The latter seems to take flashback approaches to what you read in the novel. The b&w one most directly follows the novel.

The different movies show some scenes differently, and imply various degrees of importance to different scenes.

I'd actually recommend you see both, then you can post which you like better.

You'll be entertained, that's for sure. Both are great movies.

Incidentally, in yesterday's paper, Britain was pardoning 300 soldiers executed by their own side for cowardice in battle, desertion in the trenches, etc. during World War I. Movies like Paths of Glory (for the French) and Behind the Lines (in its own way) examine these times. I highly recommend both WWI movies. Anyway, the Brits are pardoning these soldiers post-humanously, obviously. They were all shot to death by firing squads from their own side in WWI.

Rocketboy
08-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Deep Discount DVD (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=LVD012448) has "All Quiet on the Western Front" on sale for $4.99.