PDA

View Full Version : 8 ways POTC stole from ROTJ

Kidhuman
08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I just found thris artcile online. It basiscally lists the ways POTC stole from ROTJ

link (http://sideways8.wordpress.com/2006/08/04/8-ways-pirates-of-carribean-steals-from-return-of-the-jedi/)

JediTricks
08-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Nice title, it says "8 ways POTJ stole from ROTJ", I thought you were talking about Hasbro's Power of the Jedi line. :p I'll fix, not for your sake, but for the sake of others who would be confused by the title. :D

1. The beginning of Jedi has a desert monster that did the bidding of Jabba. This happens to look exactly like The Krackin - the sea monster that does Davy Jones’ bidding. You may recongnize the same little pointy teeth that they both have. (it was called a Sarlacc in ROTJ)Dumb! The Kraken is a giant squid and thus had a GIANT SQUID MOUTH! By that argument, ROTJ stole from the Kraken legend, not the other way around.

2. The Ewoks are a cute little bunch of animals in the jungle. Pirates has a group of cannibals on an island who have a similarly cute little language. Just as they confuse Jack Sparrow as a god, the Ewoks confuse C3PO to be their god and place him in command.

3. The Ewoks are cannibals too - seriously, it says so on Wikipedia (although we all know how accurate that is)Ooh, here's another way POTC ripped the Ewoks off, they both wore a lot of brown and lived in a lot of green. Both POTC and ROTJ ripped off the idea of natives feeding on the heroes from movie serials which ripped that off from classic literature - POTC did something totally different with its version too. And the Ewoks are cannibals only insomuch as they're about to eat our HEROES!

4. The Ewoks decide to burn Han Solo alive above a big fire pit that looks very similar to the fire where the cannibals try to burn Captain Jack. (Have to give credit to my friend Justin for this one). So basically Pirates took the Ewok scece and instead of having Luke, Leia, Chewy, and RD2 tied up and C3P0 as God, they used Jack for all it.See previous for why this is a stupid entry.

5. Luke Skywalker is a lame, painful-to-watch guy with a lightsaber who is upstaged by the more manly Princess Leia. Similarly, Orlando Bloom is (as always) a lame, painful-to-watch guy with a sword who is upstaged by the more manly Keira KnightlyThat wasn't a stretch at all. :rolleyes: ;)

6. Both Luke and Orlando try to save their dads who have aligned themselves with the main villian (Emperor and Davy) - the main villians who are both trying to kill Luke/Orlando or convince him to join the bad guy army of troops.That's true.

7. Comic relief is provided by Han Solo - a renegade that is temporarily trying to do the right thing to land a gal (Leia) - just as funny-man Jack Sparrow, a renegade pirate has a brief spell of integrity to impress Kiera.Um... huh? Han Solo is comic relief? Weak. Plus, Han Solo is no longer "temporarily" trying to do the right thing, and his "doing the right thing" has nothing to do with "getting the girl". And Jack Sparrow NEVER was really doing the right thing, not even temporarily.

8. There are many other character similarities i could make such as between Lando and Cutler, R2D2 and CP30 are the same as the two funny guys with bad teeth who steal the chest and tried to steal the Black Pearl, and the Millenium Falcon is very similar to the Black Pearl.Cutler is nothing like Lando, Cutler is actively evil. R2 and 3PO are similar to Pintel and Ragetti because they're both based on the peasants from Hidden Fortress - in fact, Pintel and Ragetti are MORE similar to the Hidden Fortress characters because they are partly driven by their greed where the droids are not. And the Falcon is similar to the Pearl because? Oh that's right, they're both SHIPS OWNED BY THE HEROES, what a coincidence!

This is a lame list, I'm sorry, but it's totally stretching to make dubious links that could be made to a lot of other films.

El Chuxter
08-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Another similarity: I fell in love with Princess Leia when I saw ROTJ, and I fell in love with Elizabeth Swann when I saw POTC. Case closed!

Rocketboy
08-04-2006, 05:59 PM
So where is the "Star Wars ripped off themes from classical myths" article?

Darth Jax
08-04-2006, 06:36 PM
in the extra special editions of the original trilogy squidhead will be played by davy jones.

plasticfetish
08-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm really more curious about how Kevin Bacon links these two films together.

General_Grievous
08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I stopped reading when I saw that "manly Keira Knightley" bit. Whoever wrote that deserves to die a slow and painful death. :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, i agree; that list was pretty crappy.

I was almost waiting for an idea that POTC stole from ROTJ was that everybody flew around on ships in space. And in POTC, they sail ("flew") on ships........on water! :crazed:

2-1B
08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I think Luke Skywalker is awesome in ROTJ. :)

JediTricks
08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Another similarity: I fell in love with Princess Leia when I saw ROTJ, and I fell in love with Elizabeth Swann when I saw POTC. Case closed!Wow, 23 years for that second nad to drop, isn't that a long time? :D

(this post in no way is reflective of Caesar's latest signature: "I'll help you with the drop." ...but oh how funny that is! lol )

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2006, 12:38 PM
The comments below the actual article reference the fact that Jack owes Davy in the same way that Han owes Jabba, and that they are both trying to evade paying . . . I think that's more a connection than what was listed in the actual blog.

kool-aid killer
08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow, 23 years for that second nad to drop, isn't that a long time? :D

(this post in no way is reflective of Caesar's latest signature: "I'll help you with the drop." ...but oh how funny that is! lol )

OHHH!!!! El Chuxter, you better hit him back with a "your momma..." joke or youre going to lose out on youre net-credibility. The internet is watching!

Or how about the bad guys ship (im sorry, im really bad with the names of people in the POTC movies) appearing out of nowhere as if it had just dropped out of hyperspace like the Rebel fleet did prior to attacking the second Death Star? Lucas, better get your lawyers looking into this, you could be owed some money.

Jargo
08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Good grief, there's been stories of ghost ships since time immemorable. as long as man has sailed the seven seas there's been tales of kraken and giant monsters engulfing ships. POC just uses myths and legends from nautical times. same as lucas did with his sail barge and skiffs. it's not ripping anything off aside from folklore. and there's no copyright on that.

Some people have far too much time on their hands and should do more research before posting accusations like that.

And yes, even i agree that Kiera Knightley is in no way manly.

Turbowars
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
And yes, even i agree that Kiera Knighley is in no way manly.Just way to skinny. :yes: