PDA

View Full Version : Flyboys!

Tycho
08-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I can't wait for this one! A World War One flying ace movie that opens September 29th. This one's coming up on us fast. And you thought the summer movies were good?

Flyboys stars James Franco from Spider-Man fame (Harry, the Green Goblin 2)

I'm really looking forward to this one!

Thank ROCKETBOY for the link to this movie's trailer and plot, cast, and crew info:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0454824/

Exhaust Port
08-06-2006, 07:54 AM
I never even heard of this upcoming movie until now and I too am now looking forward to seeing this movie. I'm always suprised how little use the First World War gets in the movie industry.

http://www.flyboysthemovie.com/

Rocketboy
08-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Can't remember where I saw the first trailer for this (it was quite a while ago). I want to say before Anapolis...

It does look pretty good. I'll probably go see it of nothing better opens that weekend.

Blue2th
08-06-2006, 01:02 PM
This movie looks totally cool! I can't wait to see it! You can tell they are using alot of CGI for these Biplanes. The technology is finally here to do such movies, since alot of these planes no longer exist in any great numbers (including a Zeppelin!) George Lucas is supposed to be making "Red Tails" another story about the WWII Tuskegee Airmen. Alot more of the P-51 Mustangs are still around though.

Tycho
08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Dude, it looks like nothing's better opening this year:

X-men 3 was disappointing
Superman Returns was comparable to light beer, good but not habit forming
Miami Vice was OK, but equally not ground-breaking. A little less intriguing than Traffic
Clerks 2 - well now, that was funny! Different kind of movie though. Great special effects with the Donkey however...

Pirates of the Carribean 2 - well I need to get into these Pirate films - I've never seen them. However, I've heard it was not as good as the first one.

Click - plan on seeing it. Adam Sandler makes me laugh. It seems like a date movie though, and first I need to get a new date!

But Flyboys? I'm taking my brother for his birthday now (it'll have to be a belated treat as his b-day is before the movie comes out). But this is a total perfect "man's movie." The action and effects and cinematography all make it look like a better quality film than any of the before mentioned. (X-men, Superman, and especially Miami Vice were all so dark that you couldn't always see what was going on in the action sequences - that can be cool and heighten tension sometimes, but the broad daylight of airial combat / dogfighting and the speed and grace involved in it is awesome. BTW: I saw no parachutes in the trailer and that alone has me curious. Did they send pilots up, inventing the combat plane before they invented the parachute as standard emergency equipment? That would be like a TIE fighter with no shields - you come home victorious or you don't come home.

Flyboys is going to rock!

Blue2th
08-06-2006, 01:26 PM
BTW: I saw no parachutes in the trailer and that alone has me curious. Did they send pilots up, inventing the combat plane before they invented the parachute as standard emergency equipment? That would be like a TIE fighter with no shields - you come home victorious or you don't come home.

Flyboys is going to rock!
No, parachutes were either not invented or put in production till later. Talk about flying by the seat of your pants! BTW: The WWII Japanese Zero pilots didn't wear parachutes either. Something about if you didn't win don't bother coming back. They lost most of their experienced pilots in the first part of the war because of no parachutes, and very little armor on their planes (that's why they were so menuverable and fast) Stupidity on the part of the Japs. It is a main reason why they lost. Since WWII was decided by Air Power mostly. (I know we are talking about WWI here, just a side note about parachutes)

El Chuxter
08-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Pirates of the Carribean 2 - well I need to get into these Pirate films - I've never seen them. However, I've heard it was not as good as the first one.

You were lied to. :)

jonthejedi
08-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Also try The Blue Max for a great WWI "Flyboy" epic. Best biplane cinematography I've ever seen. This is the aerial combat theatre seen from the German perspective. George Peppard(yes, the A-Teams George) is miscast as the lead, but this movie(on DVD from Fox) boasts what many music soundtrack nuts consider Jerry Goldsmith's greatest score(1966). No CGI in sight...just the real thing! Check it out!

Tycho
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Man, I must dig Flyboys too much already: I watch the trailer over and over (3 times anyway) turned up at my computer's "almost-highest volume."

Now I want action figures that can go in French and German bi-planes. :rolleyes:

I must be nuts!

BTW: I'm going to try and find Blue Max in the library. Maybe - maybe - Blockbuster carries it. I'll go look.

jonthejedi
08-08-2006, 02:40 AM
Yeah, let me know if you turn it up. It's worth buying in my opinion...just for the stereo score & the dogfight sequences...a real epic in that sense(it's a wonder to me noone was killed in the production of this film).

Tycho
08-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Blockbuster doesn't have it for rental.

BestBuy.com has it to buy on DVD.

The library has it - but on VHS which scares me concerning using their tapes - as I only use my 'factory new' tapes that I own in my video machine.

So I may have to really trust your recommend and buy it for $11 or so (plus s&h). I like George Peppard from the A-Team days anyway, so I bet it'd be a treat to see him as a young man. The film is 1966? Is it b&w or color?

Blue2th
08-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Now I want action figures that can go in French and German bi-planes. :rolleyes:

I must be nuts!

Yer not nuts. I have been buying the Ultimate Soldier 1/18 WWII planes with figures for years (I think the same scale as SW) They made "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" P-40. They just started making jets. Who knows? They might start making Biplanes.

jonthejedi
08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Tycho, Blue Max is in COLOR, 1966 from 20th Cen. Fox. It is in surround stereo(incredible score...is a little dark at times. Great beginning...Peppard is in the trenches, sees aerial combat...is hooked...as I hope you'll be. Some romance with Ursula Andress(Dr. No). James Mason is good. But Peppard didn't convince me he's a German except for the blond hair. Now I'm tempted to bring it out & watch it again. Flyboys looks to be about the Lafeyette Escadrille...Americans who sided with France before US officially entered the war...in effect, our first US fighter pilots. Now I'm intrigued.

Tycho
08-08-2006, 11:38 PM
I ordered Blue Max today. It could take up to 10 business days before I get it however.

Meanwhile, I found this great website that explains all the reasons World War One happened and who fought on what sides, how war technology evolved, etc.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/origins/causes.htm

Did you know the Germans had submarines in World War One? I always related that U-boat warfare to WWII. But it's been going on for far longer.

Yeah I do know about the first sub used in the American Civil War - but the a fight along the coast seems far more easier to believe than German U-boats dominating the Atlantic that early in history.

Tycho
08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
And now, here is the real Red Baron (not joking):

http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/richthofen.htm

This guy was a killer. He put into the ground 80 enemy pilots!

He was shot down and killed at age 25.

I got the info on the same site I referenced in my post above, which has details on a lot of the American pilots who might appear in the Flyboys movie.

There's so many bios of early fighter pilot aces that it would take me an entire night to read it all. Suffice it to say, this is an entertaining website.

Anyway, it might be the reality of the job, or just the lucky bios I picked, but most of these fighter pilots died between their 20's and early 30 years of age.

Reminds me of that line from the Flyboys preview: "The average life expectancy of a pilot is xx-xx weeks."

Shoot. It might've been fun shooting others down, but not getting shot down yourself.

And I still didn't read anything about parachutes being included equipment on these early fighter planes. One of the American pilots I read about survived getting shot down and was taken prisoner by the Germans. He was later released, but unfortunately, died in a civilian plane crash a few years later while delivering Chinese mail.:rolleyes:

jonthejedi
08-09-2006, 03:15 AM
Let me know when you get Blue Max, and how you like it, Hope you can watch it in widescreen(I think the only way it comes?) and with surround stereo. The print is the "roadshow" version with Intermission & Entracte music like all the Sixties epics had.

Tycho
08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
A lot of the World War movies had intermissions - Blue Max and Battle of the Bulge (WWII). There were some good pieces in that collection!

I did a thread up for Blue Max. I'm bumping this one up for Slicker who's pretty excited about Flyboys right now having just seen the preview. It's going to be really good based on what we've seen so far.

jonthejedi
08-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Alot of those 50's & especially 60's epic "roadshow" movies came complete with overtures(while you were seated), intermissions, entra'actes(beginning of 2nd act), and even exit music from the score as you left the theatre. I have several of the Cinerama movies that MGM did like How The West Was Won & Ice Station Zebra that come like that on DVD. Movies were an event back then...I almost wish they had done that with Star Wars!

Slicker
08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the bump up here Tycho. I didn't know it was made since I was gone for a couple of weeks. That explains that.

Anywho.;) Did anyone else see the trailer before Snakes on a Plane? This movie looks great and it's also really nice to see a good movie about WWI. I've been into reading WWI books so I can try and better understand WWII. They're both basically one big war with a 20 year truce.

I definitely can't wait to see this and see the aerial battles. They looked breathtaking.

Rocketboy
08-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Yahoo! has posted a 5 1/2 minute clip of one of the dogfights in Flyboys.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808746759/trailer

I was looking forward to the movie - now I'm really looking forward to it!

Tycho
08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
That looks so awesome Rocketboy! That was supposed to be the Red Baron in that German tri-wing plane, huh?

Darn this movie's going to be good! I can't wait! 32 more days....

Slicker
08-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow...just wow. I watched the trailer with my mouth hanging wide open.

Exhaust Port
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, awesome!!! Thanks for the link!!

JimJamBonds
08-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Holy Carp!!!!

Rocketboy
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
More Flyboys videos.
Character/actor stuff (http://comingsoon.net/flyboys/) from the few I watched so afr.

Tycho
09-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Dude! I just watched all of that footage. This movie is going to be awesome!

Thanks Rocketboy!

So I started figuring the characters:

Blaine Rawlings is the lead, the Texan pilot

Cassidy -something, is the ladies man and the accomplished ace (the Iceman type)

There's the French combat instructor.

The black guy, Skinner.

And more. I'll have to watch those again. My jaw was open watching the flight sequences!

The one shot where the pilot reverses and drags his landing gear accross the wings of the enemy fighter then winds up on his tail, shooting his enemy's ripped up plane apart was incredible!

16 more days....

2-1B
09-13-2006, 11:03 PM
I just opened this thread thinking it was the Fanboys thread.

jonthejedi
09-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Tycho, did you get to see it over the w/e? Just wondering what you thought?

Tycho
09-25-2006, 09:46 AM
I thought it opens this coming Friday - the 29th?

I have that marked in my calendar.

Shoot! I just called MoviePhone and it IS playing now!

I have to call my brother - I'm taking him for a belated birthday present as we've both really wanted to see this film. He lives 90 minutes away though and we weren't planning on seeing it until around Friday. Hmmm. OK - well I'll be seeing it as soon as possible - or by Friday night this week anyway.

Anyone else seen it yet? How is it?

My hope is that it out-entertains (me, to my tastes) Superman, X-3, Miami Vice, DaVinci, most of the other stuff that was put out this year (never saw any of the POTC films).

I know it's not summer, but Flyboys was my pick for becoming "best movie of the summer," by extension of the season. The subject material is right on for my tastes.

Fight on! Down those Jerries!

Rocketboy
09-25-2006, 10:10 AM
It looks like very few knew it opened on Friday.
#4 with only $6 Million

Jackass Number Two - $28.1 Million
Jet Li's Fearless - $10.5 Million
Gridiron Gang - $9.7 Million

Tycho
09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
They must have bumped up the release. Why?

I mean it obviously didn't bring the studio a very big opening.

The only other "big pictures" I know of that are coming aren't coming until next month or Nov: "Flags of Our Fathers," and "James Bond 21."

What opens next weekend that Flyboys' studio was afraid of?

Or did they think they could hang on coat-tails from Jackass's box office and all the folks who would be dragged to that by someone else, but not be down on seeing it, so they'd hit another show?

Speaking for myself, I have no desire to see Jackass, nor did I see the last one.

stillakid
09-25-2006, 10:32 AM
latimes.com

Flyboys
Presented by: MGM

Just about everything in this video-gamey World War I picture rings false, although the planes certainly are terrific. The film takes a strong subject, the Americans who volunteered for the French as aviators in the Lafayette Escadrille, and turns it into romantic slush. Good thing Jean Reno's around to give it some flavor: As the real-life Capt. Thenault, the stalwart French actor goes about his expositional business with gruff panache. You believe this man exists in a 1916 universe. Too many of the other, younger cast members are about as 1916 as "The O.C." With James Franco, Martin Henderson and Jennifer Decker. (Michael Phillips, Sept. 22) (2:19) PG-13 for war action violence and some sexual content.

Tycho
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Too often than not, people tend to think of characters from our past as sexless, humorless, non-hip. I suppose they think the characters ought to act like our great-grandparents, or at least our grandparents.

Well, our own parents would never have been born if our forefathers were NEVER sexy, humorous, or hip. So if those characteristics make actors seem "O.C.," then that IS realistic.

So what is "1916" in the critics' minds? Boring? Like talking to your great-grandparents?

"Listen to me Sonnyboy. Let me tell you a story about back when I had my own natural teeth..."

stillakid
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Too often than not, people tend to think of characters from our past as sexless, humorless, non-hip. I suppose they think the characters ought to act like our great-grandparents, or at least our grandparents.

Well, our own parents would never have been born if our forefathers were NEVER sexy, humorous, or hip. So if those characteristics make actors seem "O.C.," then that IS realistic.

So what is "1916" in the critics' minds? Boring? Like talking to your great-grandparents?

"Listen to me Sonnyboy. Let me tell you a story about back when I had my own natural teeth..."

I don't think anybody is trying to say that people from the past were significantly different than us. However, there is a point where the characters in a film can start looking more like they were pulled from a fashion model catalogue instead of from real life. Think of great war movies like Force Ten from Navarrone where there really aren't any "pretty boys" out front.

This reminds me of a Doonesbury strip I put up on my website awhile back:

Tycho
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
FLYBOYS was awesome!!! I'm going to have to see that on the big screen again! Maybe even again after that!

This movie was exactly what I wanted! Dude it was cool!

It's full of the cliches like the boy secretly taking the girl up in the military fighter plane - but I want to watch scenes like those.

But the dog-fighting and the combat was incredible!

I can't believe (SPOILER) Beagle got his hand chopped off! You have to suspend disbelief to think Blaine could make it to him where his plane crashed in the middle of No Man's Land.

Cassidy was way cool. I want a pet lion! That was so funny that the captain suggested they burry him outside the ***** house, hehe.

But this topped ANY summer movie by far and presented real heroes - not mutants who fight crime wearing strange pajamas.

There was plenty of action and the effects were incredible.

It was ironic that the Red Baron (if that German pilot was him) was the only Luftwaffen pilot NOT to actually fly a red plane. His black tri-wing with its twin blasters was awesome.

In fact, the bomber planes and the airship battle platform they planned to use to bomb Paris were incredible (bomb the city, not Ms. Hilton) That suicide dive was as heroic as Arvel Crynyd diving into the Executor.

The story was really compelling and I also liked seeing how they trained pilots in those days - the wooden simulators, gyro-chairs (of a type) etc.

SEE FLYBOYS!!!

Since I've gotten sick, and there's been less to hold me in Star Wars discussions around here (for the time being), I've been rabidly viewing movies and posting up a storm in this forum. I've mostly rented or bought based on a lot of people's recommendations around here (The Blue Max, Battle of Britain, etc - to name air combat films).

So I've seen a lot of action in my own way. But I'm telling it to you now that I'll be back in the theater to see Flyboys maybe one or two more times - it's THAT good!

stillakid
09-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I saw it with a friend of mine and we both loved it. :) The "Darth Vader" Baron was a little over-the-top but the way he took him out in the end was, while predictable, a nice touch anyway.

We were hoping that the lion would go live on the guy's ranch at the end. So what happened to that cat?

The girl was ubersexy in her understated poutyness. Purrrrrrr. :love:

I was a bit disappointed by some of the greenscreen work. Some of those backgrounds just weren't composited well, but it didn't detract too much from enjoying the battle scenes which were, by and large, a lot of fun.

What was missing was a sense of connection to any of the pilots so that when any of them did buy it, I didn't really care either way.

Jean Reno is always great.

I like that it was produced by Dean Devlin, who if you recall, directed ID4. I like when established people get behind films like this which are both genre pieces and "popcorn" at the same time.

I wanted to know specifically where some scenes were shot, like the girls bombed out home. It was a truly spectacular location.

I think a Television series would be viable for this idea. I'd gladly tune into 13 episodes of WWI flying battles. :)

Tycho
09-30-2006, 01:16 AM
I saw it with a friend of mine and we both loved it. :) The "Darth Vader" Baron was a little over-the-top but the way he took him out in the end was, while predictable, a nice touch anyway.

Historically, there really was such a guy. I think I linked to his info somewhere in this very thread. He was killed when he was 28 years old, but he was credited with over 90 enemy kills from his aircraft. That's what Triple-Ace means I guess. (wow - that guy needed to buy it!)

We were hoping that the lion would go live on the guy's ranch at the end. So what happened to that cat?

I don't know. It was the Escodrille's mascot - so I thought it might stay with the squadron. Seeing Blaine's love for the cat, I'm not sure he would have or could have taken it back to the States with him after the war. He must have had some war paychecks he couldn't spend while deployed - so in spite of him being bankrupt when he arrived, he'd have some cash when he went home - a regular bounty collected for his "Hun Kills."

The girl was ubersexy in her understated poutyness. Purrrrrrr. :love:

Yeah. She had that "cuteness look" to her.

I was a bit disappointed by some of the greenscreen work. Some of those backgrounds just weren't composited well, but it didn't detract too much from enjoying the battle scenes which were, by and large, a lot of fun.

Seriously! That's a large part of why I want to see it again. The action was paced out perfectly well to keep you interested. There wasn't really any moment when this movie got slow.

What was missing was a sense of connection to any of the pilots so that when any of them did buy it, I didn't really care either way.

No. I disagree. I think the characters were really well-developed:

Cassidy was the coolest, as the American Ace and veteran - the lion, the Han Solo / Doolittle attitude. I dug his contribution to the film.

Beagle's history with the bank robbery and losing his hand made me empathize with him.

Skinner's struggles as the token black guy, but also as a boxer and a proud man who wanted to fight for a future for himself was great. He was a true character in history.

The religious guy with his singing and "fear no evil attitude."

What's his name with the girl back home in Nebraska? (Who got the jitters for a spell)

Nunn - the kind of dorky guy that didn't last very long, but who they all sort of adopted as the replacements came into the squadron.

It's not all that often when I leave a genre piece like this and can name all the characters (or as many) upon only 1 viewing. True I've used that video guide linked to above in this thread before, but I don't recall remembering many of their names (maybe Blaine Rawlings and Cassidy's) before the movie started playing. Now I look fondly on them like Wedge, Porkins, Biggs, and Garven Dreis or Maverick, Goose, Cougar, Merlin, etc.

Jean Reno is always great.

Yeah he was.

I wanted to know specifically where some scenes were shot, like the girls bombed out home. It was a truly spectacular location.

Yeah. I was curious about that too. I'd wondered if they created that setting for the movie - but it was very elaborate for short-term use that it saw.

I think a Television series would be viable for this idea. I'd gladly tune into 13 episodes of WWI flying battles.

This would totally work for a "Band of Brothers" type of series. Heck, if I were Devlin, I'd have done some episodic book-end scenes that I'd delete from the theater cut, so I could make twice the money on this thing by bringing it to TV (when the time comes) as a cable mini-series. All they need to do is re-add the episodic bookend scenes, which would also make nice extras for the DVD. It is a 2 1/2 hour movie - but you never feel the time pass while your in there with the Lafayette Esquidrilles. I think that means "Pilot Jockeys" in French - but I don't know for sure. Anyone?

Dang this was the best movie I've seen in a long time!

Slicker
09-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Historically, there really was such a guy. I think I linked to his info somewhere in this very thread. He was killed when he was 28 years old, but he was credited with over 90 enemy kills from his aircraft. That's what Triple-Ace means I guess. (wow - that guy needed to buy it!)

I'm assuming you're talking about Baron Manfried von Richtofen or the Red Baron. He was officially credited with 80 kills during the war, and so respected that when he was finally killed the Allies gave him a full state funeral.

There is some speculation on how he died. Since the Canadians used the same size ammo (.303) for both ground machine guns and fighter machine guns you can't tell by that but when they did the autopsy it showed that he struck from the bottom up and it went straight through his heart. The Germans always maintained that he was killed from ground fire so as to keep his aura of air invicibility alive.

I have far too much historical knowledge in my brain as that was, like every bit of history I state here, from memory.

Slicker
10-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I just got back from seeing this and it was definitely worth the wait. I wanted tons more air action and tons more ground action but I want more when it comes to war movies. The airship battle was outstanding and I loved how the Black Falcon bit it. If anyone thinks it's a bit outlandish it isn't. That's how all aerial combat started. Recon planes with pistols and shot guns then it progressed to machine guns, then mounted machine guns.

Wow. Give me time to digest it and I'll be back.

Tycho
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Glad you liked it Slicker. I think the general Star Wars audience that gathers here will LOVE this movie!

The airship was totally like a Star Destroyer with all the X-wings and TIE Fighters buzzing around it - or the Invisible Hand and ARC-170's facing scores of Droid Fighters.

The crew behind Flyboys did such a good job with their battles! Yeah, I know what you mean: you want to see more and more! Heck - I'm just going to go and see that movie again. That's what I'll have to do.

Flyboys kicks the crap out of any of last summer's movies!

JimJamBonds
10-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about Baron Manfried von Richtofen or the Red Baron. He was officially credited with 80 kills during the war, and so respected that when he was finally killed the Allies gave him a full state funeral.

Lets not forget there was a cease fire at that particular front so the German's could retrive Richtofen's remains.

JimJamBonds
10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I saw Flyboys last night and I thought it was prett good. There were a few things that raised an eyebrow.

1) When the planes fly straight up and then invert and fire on each other. Wouldn't the engines have stalled?

2) I didn't know Texas ranchers in the 19teen's would have highlights in their hair.

There were a few more but I don't want to hate on this movie, all in all it was pretty good.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 04:46 PM
I can't believe it but Flyboys is down to showing in ONE (1) theater in San Diego - what?! It's been out barely a month!

This is an extremely under-rated film and it was better than ANYTHING released last summer. I swear, people have no sense of taste!

I don't watch much TV or other movies, so I don't know how much Flyboys was hyped - a lot of my friends had never heard of it when I mentioned it.

But I can't believe it's sucking so much at the box office.

By the adding I did on IMDB.com, I have the movie LOSING 32 million! (-$32, 215,165).

I must have made a math mistake. That's not right is it?

NOT BETTER THAN FLYBOYS:

DaVinci Code
Miami Vice
X-Men 3
Superman Returns
Pirates of the Carribean 2 (I'm assuming, didn't see it)

DIFFERENT KIND OF MOVIE (shouldn't be competiton):

Clerks 2 and 10 minutes of conversations about ***-to-mouth and a donkey, plus "One Ring To Rule Them All," and The Transformers being an abomination to God.

Slicker
10-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I just checked several locations and by my math I have Flyboys losing $48 million!! It cost $60 million to make and has thus far made only $12 million. It's a damn shame that more people don't see history based movies and would rather immerse themselves in false-true stories.

Yet another reason why Americans are stupid.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Movies like Superman and X3 are True-False Stories, since it is presumably True that it is False that Krypton existed and people are mutating into human magnets - that sort of thing.

Flyboys would be a False-True Story since the Lafayette Escadrille and at least their captain and the German fighter ace and such were true historical components, but Blaine Rawlings, Cassidy, etc. were made up for the picture - as might have been the heroic rescue out of the plane crash in No-Man's-Land, etc.

But symantecs aside, I totally agree with you Slicker.

I got the $60 million budget figure. I added the 3 week totals to come up with the $32 million loss. I'm not sure where you got (-) $48 million, but I think you left out a figure or two. (I hope actually - since I don't want movies like this to lose their chance at financing in favor of stuff that's plain fluff, or under-par.)

Comparing it:

DaVinci Code - was bad casting - Tom Hanks was wrong for the role

Miami Vice - was bad casting - Collin Ferrel was wrong for the role, the movie just played like a TV episode, of which since I am becoming a Miami Vice expert, I can tell you they did much better in just an hour of television than with this.

X-Men 3 - was very fast paced to catch the character development. It might've been there, but I need to see this again to re-evaluate it.

Superman Returns - was a nice copy-cat of the early Christopher Reeve movies, but ultimately bland. I did enjoy it though - but not as much as Flyboys.

Pirates of the Carribean 2 (didn't see it)

Slicker
10-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Here's where I got my numbers from, Tycho.

Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=flyboys.htm)

Tycho
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks for sharing Slicker.

That's totally sad, isn't it? We both know this was a great movie! I totally plan to own and frequently watch the DVD.

That Jackass took the wind out from under Flyboys' wings is the biggest slap in the face!

You're right: it seriously does prove Americans are stupid!

Slicker
10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
This is gonna show my "diverse" movie tastes but I loved Jackass 2 as well (or does that show my "young" age too?).

I agree that Flyboys was a good movie but I really wanted to see it again to get a good grasp on it (I usually try to see a movie several times before I pass judgement) but I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out. I'm sure I'll still love it because there are very few (if any) war movies that I don't like. I think I like war movies because it gives me a better visual of the all of the books that I read that have minimal pictures.

Reading up on the Escadrille I found this picture (http://www.tao-yin.com/baron-rouge/img/photos/escadrille-lafayette-big.jpg)of them. You can Whiskey the lion cub laid across several of there laps.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 06:16 PM
That's cool. Then there really was a real pilot like Cassidy who kept a lion as the squadron's mascot?

That was a fun story element and made me want a pet lion as well.

Slicker
10-22-2006, 06:36 PM
They actually had two lions, Tycho.

One named Whiskey and the other named Soda.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Whiskey and Soda....cute :love:

JimJamBonds
10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
At the end of the film they showed an old b&w photo that I took to be the REAL flyboys and lion of World War I.

Tycho
10-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Some one mentioned there were actually 2 lions, and they're both in that picture if you look carefully. I know one is laid out across the laps of several of the kneeling pilots.

Slicker
10-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I know one is laid out across the laps of several of the kneeling pilots.And if you look closely at the picture I posted a page back you can see the other lion on the lap of the gentleman sitting behind the dog.

Tycho
02-02-2007, 02:12 AM
This just came out on DVD and I recommend everyone gets it - and watches it on a really big screen!

This was my favorite picture of 2006.

Slicker
02-02-2007, 02:18 AM
I completely agree with you!

Although Flags of our Fathers was a close second.

I'm sure Letters from Iwo Jima will be amazing as well and probably my fav of 2007 whenever I get a chance to see it.

Blue2th
02-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I finally saw this flick a couple of weeks ago at the discount 2nd run theatre. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing that was puzzling was that all of the enemy German Focker Triplanes planes were colored red, like the Red Baron and the ruthless German Ace's plane was black (hence the "Black Falcon") This part was probably not historically acurate, but added to spice things up. I won't sweat such a small thing. I will be buying this DVD. :thumbsup:

Tycho
02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Glad you liked it Blue2th! It was a totally under-rated movie I think everyone here (Star Wars fans) would say rocked - especially if you like the fighter dogfights in ANH, ROTJ, TPM, and ROTS. Then you'll like Flyboys.

So cool you saw it at a movie theater on a huge screen! I wish I could see it again on something larger than my 52". The movie is incredible!

I think it may be historically accurate and the legend of "The Red Baron" just came about because it sounded better than "The Black Baron." I don't know. Other things were not historically accurate, as many of the pilots were made up conglomerates of real historical figures, but I know the French captain, the black pilot, Cassidy, the German ace - there were some real ones in there too - and they did keep real lions as pets. 2 I believe, not 1 as in the movie.

However, in pop-culture, Snoopy flies as the Red Baron and his dog house is red, so that might have something to do with it ;)

But I thought he was a Beagle? I guess he always wanted to grow up to be a German Shepherd :D

JimJamBonds
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM

I completely agree with you!

Although Flags of our Fathers was a close second.

I'm sure Letters from Iwo Jima will be amazing as well and probably my fav of 2007 whenever I get a chance to see it.

I liked Flyboys but not nearly as much as Flags of our Fathers. Flyboys got to be too hokey at times while Flags stayed more historically correct. As for Letters... AWESOME!

Slicker
02-02-2007, 11:26 AM
He was called the Red Baron because his aircraft was red and he was indeed a Baron or "Freiherr". But all of the planes in his squadron were painted red so that part of the movie is correct. It was done for ease of identification during battle but then it was greatly used as a propoganda tool.

I would have to think that the one plane was black so you could ID his plane in a dogfight. Kinda like having his name blinking above with an arrow pointing to it.

Rocketboy
02-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Haven't seen Flyboys yet, but I bought the 2 disc edition on Tuesday. I need to make sure I watch it before Tuesday when Flags of our Fathers comes out. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

Tycho
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah: World War One happened before World War Two. ;)

Rocketboy
02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Finally got arounf to watching Flyboys. I was expecting to be let down...I wasn't! Awesome f*cking movie! I can;t wait until I get a chance to watch it again.

The only disappointment I had came after the movie - In the bonus features there is a documentary about the movie and the real life Escadrille, where they explain that the characters are only based on real pilots, some of which weren't in the L.E. (like the black guy, who wasn't included just to be PC, but rather to honor the real guy that did fly and fight in WWI).

I just checked several locations and by my math I have Flyboys losing $48 million!! It cost $60 million to make and has thus far made only $12 million. It's a damn shame that more people don't see history based movies and would rather immerse themselves in false-true stories.

Yet another reason why Americans are stupid.Watched An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 the other day, and he said that Studios today are more concerned with the home video sales than they are with the theatrical run of a movie. The theatrical run is more of a preview for the DVD.

Also, someone was wonderng what happened to the lions, right? In the documentary they explain once they realized they wouldn't be able to properly care for the lions once the got too big they donated them to a french zoo.

Slicker
02-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah: World War One happened before World War Two. ;)I thought WWI happened before the Great Patriotic War? :confused:

Tycho
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm glad you liked it Rocketboy. It is an FN Awesome movie!

Dang. I was just going to watch Lost In Space tonight but you make me want to pop in Flyboys AGAIN!

I hear what you said about studios being more concerned with DVD performance now than theatrical runs. How the world is changing for the worst.

I have a lot of fun going to movie premiers - especially ROTS with all the lightsaber fighting and the crowd going nuts and cheering like when R2 oil-frys the Super Battle Droids it got the reaction of a touchdown in the Super Bowl!

When I saw Flyboys the first time in the theater, the show was only half-full. Still the audience oohe and awwwed at some of the flight stunts, especially when the fighters went in low by the forest, buildings, and bridge - and the reaction to Cassidy's lion garnered some chuckles. I think it adds something to the movie to see it with an audience reacting. (Note -that's different than seeing it with a crying baby)