PDA

View Full Version : Podracer Pilot Figures

Tycho
08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I was reading Galactic Hunter's figure of the day anecdote about Teemto Pegalles and another LIST topic occured to me ;)

A new list by Tycho:

Anakin Skywalker - they haven't carded Jake Lloyd with a podracing helmet, have they?

Sebulba - they carded him street style for POTJ, but they can go back and give him race goggles.

Teemto Pegalles - might make a fine box set figure with the other 2.

Gasgano - hasn't seen release since 1999

Ody Mandrell - hasn't seen release since 1999

Dud Bolt - coming next month!

Mars Guo - coming next month!

Ben Quadrinaros - very recognizable and Hasbro wanted to do him. I think that ever since the fan choice poll, we're destined to see him.

Aldar Beedo - not identifiable in the movie - but great in the podracing comics

Wan Sandage - see the above statement about Aldar Beedo

Rats Tyrell - would make a great movie-recognizeable character.

Cliegg Holdfast - not my favorite, but recognizeable from the movie. I don't think I spelled his name right either, but obviously someone wanted to name someone Cliegg, and Mr. Lars, Sr. was not in TPM, so it fell to a podracer to use that name in this movie.

Bolls Rohr - not seen but heard about in TPM. In the comics, he reminded me of the Tasmanian Devil in Bugs Bunny cartoons. He's OK - the actual Taz is a better character design though.

Elan Mak - fugly - but whatever. Not to forget anyone. There's 18 total.

Ark Bumpy Roose - also fugly, but more interesting than Elan Mak.

And there's 3 I'm forgetting at the moment.

joe-da
08-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Any (but preferably all) podracer pilots are much-desired by this Wampa!

Others are:

Mawhonic - the Gran
Ebe Endocott - (one of his species - Triffian - is seen outside Dex's Diner)
Neva Kee - the Xamster

Tycho
08-06-2006, 04:15 PM
How could I forget Mawhonic? True, I'm less interested in him - but he'd be easy for Hasbro as they could use a Ree-Yees or Ask Aak head (never even looked to see if those were the same heads as well). Lucasfilm propably used the same head for all 3 characters when they shot the movies (I mean what are you going to do with a 1981-2 Gran mask you've had in storage for then (TPM filming time) 17-18 years?) Perhaps they got 4 movies' use out of it:

Ree-Yees - 1981/2
Mawhonic - 1997/98
Ask Aak - 2000/01
Ask for more Aak - 2003/4

There is some confusion about who in the movies are:

Ask Aak
Ask Moe
Anli Teem

And how many Senators is Gran allowed? Which ones are from the Gran colony at Malastare (Anli Teem was for sure, Panaka said so in TPM).

Of course, George Lucas never figured most of this out. The creature effects guys worked on different characters and may also have different stories. DK Books or Del Rey might've finally closed in on some "official version," as might have StarWars.com, but I didn't look it up.

Actually, I don't think the Gran homeworld is called Gran or anything like it. I think it's something like Aradia or some name that sounds nothing like Gran anyway. I can't say I'm all that interested or I'd know that.

But I once knew it. Now I've even forgotten the name of Captain Lennox's Star Destroyer "Our first catch of the day." Indomitable I think. The Avenger was Needa's ship, the Executer: Ozzel and Piett's. The Devastator was Vader's ride in ANH. We're way off the topic of Podracers when we get to naming Star Destroyers, however it is interesting.

Battle Droid
08-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Sebulba - they carded him street style for POTJ, but they can go back and give him race goggles.

The POTJ one has the goggles.:razz:

pbarnard
08-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Ree-Yees or Ask Aak head (never even looked to see if those were the same heads as well). Lucasfilm propably used the same head for all 3 characters when they shot the movies (I mean what are you going to do with a 1981-2 Gran mask you've had in storage for then (TPM filming time) 17-18 years?) Perhaps they got 4 movies' use out of it:

The mask probably wouldn't have made it. Not sayign that parts couldn't, but it would've looked rather ratty and full of wholes. From a figure stand point, I'd like to see something with the Ask Ask head as opposed to way over bulky Ree Yees.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
The mask probably wouldn't have made it. Not sayign that parts couldn't, but it would've looked rather ratty and full of wholes. From a figure stand point, I'd like to see something with the Ask Ask head as opposed to way over bulky Ree Yees.
Plus, the PT Gran heads were animatronic whereas the Ree-Yees one was just a mask.

I'd like to, at least, see the ones that were featured prominently in the DVD version of the film - Mawhonic, Clegg Holdfast, Ratts Tyerell, etc. - as well as the deleted scene. If they don't do the ones that were more in books than in the film, then that'll be fine.

If you're caring about spelling, then just so you know, most of those names in the first post are spelled incorrectly. ;) :D

LTBasker
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Gasgano - hasn't seen release since 1999

Ody Mandrell - hasn't seen release since 1999

For good reason, they were pegwarmers. :p The only way they should be rereleased is in a podracer multipack, I hope they are never individually released again.

Tycho
08-07-2006, 02:51 AM
I usually loathe multi-packs. I have barely bought any - the exception being Yoda vs. Palpatine in the Battle in the Senate pack.

I originally bought several of the Deluxe (Face Change) Palpatines before I saw the movie. Fortunately, Wal-Mart took them as returns (I kept one in that outfit for his Senate speech scene). Palpatine actually wears a dark hood piece he puts on, with a greyish robe, over his red outfit he dueled Mace Windu while wearing. Hasbro does not make a figure of this (save for the 12" - sort of). The accuracy no longer mattered to me too much for that scene - just the idea that Palpatine fought Yoda and Shocktroopers went looking for his dead body (but he wasn't dead). So my diorama will be of the condeptual idea, rather than the authenticity of it - and that will be enough for me. A really good enough Yoda and Palpatine don't exist to do the scene enough justice. The Unleashed expressed the idea nicely. That's enough with it.

But back to Multi-packs - you almost never get any new figures and you're baited with only 1 or 2 pieces: Aurra Sing's EU speederbike, Obi-Wan's clone armor, Anakin "realistic" from the CW cartoon.

Like I said, almost all of the time I've ignored the multi-packs. I actually did make arrangements with a friend to let me buy the TaunTaun with split belly and something else from the Hoth pack. He kept the Astromech which he really wanted.

But it's a good way to get older figures that newer collectors don't have, out there. Meanwhile, as a consumer, I don't want to chase down stuff only available this way (like CW Anakin and Obi-Wan in armor) - I don't have those figures because I didn't need more of the other stuff they came packaged with.

joe-da
08-07-2006, 08:28 AM
As much as I'd rather have "never been dones" before "redos", I would like a Gasgano, where his arms don't fall off easily, re-done before the line's demise.

DarkArtist
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
As much as I like the Pod Racers and various alien type figures I want Pod Racer Vehicles. I mean all we have is Anakin's and Sebulba's yet we got Mars Guro, Teemto, and the new ones that are being released later this year, and one other that I can't think of right now. These guys need their rides, plus these were some of the most interesting vehicles we have seen in the prequel films.

C'mon Hasbro, give our Pod Racers their Pods.:thumbsup: Besides I want to have a Boonta Eve race:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: