PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

scruffziller
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Saw this being made on IMDB while catching John Malkovich's profile. It also has Anthony Hopkins in it and Crispin Glover is playing Grendel!!!

scruffziller
11-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? How good is it? Does Bob Zemekis deliver?

2-1B
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I think it looks...odd.

General_Grievous
11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm planning to catch a 3D showing of it sometime before Thanksgiving.

Exhaust Port
11-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm really looking forward to this movie. I really liked the original story and always thought it would be a great movie. From the reviews I've read none of the previous attempts were very good at all.

From what I've see in the trailers the CGI look pretty good and the overall look seems to match what I envisioned. Now, I need to reread the story but I don't remember thinking that Grendal's mom was human. I could be wrong though.

El Chuxter
11-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I hate that style of animation. Either animate or don't. Or, if you insist on using a hybrid method, use CG backgrounds like in Sin City or Sky Captain.

This method always creates lifeless characters.

The story is vastly changed. Grendel and his mother were not human in the original. And I understand Beowulf gets naughty with Grendel's mom. I can see how the story needed some fleshing out to become a movie, but that seems to be a little "too far out" from the story to be acceptable to me. I don't care if Neil Gaiman did write it. I guess even he can be wrong sometimes.

Unless I hear great things, I'll stick with The 13th Warrior for my "Beowulf on screen" fix. It actually might stick closer to the original.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-19-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd like to see it, but it is showing at the place with the tiniest theaters in town.

In one of my college classes my freshman year, we had a book that had Beowulf in it, but we didn't read it. Instead, we read one of the other stories, or at least part of it - The Nibelungenlied. I think the book is still at my parents' house, so perhaps I'll grab it when I'm there on Thanksgiving so that maybe I'll try and read it someday.

I think this may have been the book Medieval Epics: Beowulf, The Song of Roland, The Nibelungenlied, and The Cid (http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Epics-Beowulf-Nibelungenlied-Library/dp/0679603018). In fact, we might have read The Song of Roland instead. I forget.

bigbarada
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I hate that style of animation. Either animate or don't. Or, if you insist on using a hybrid method, use CG backgrounds like in Sin City or Sky Captain.

This method always creates lifeless characters.

The story is vastly changed. Grendel and his mother were not human in the original. And I understand Beowulf gets naughty with Grendel's mom. I can see how the story needed some fleshing out to become a movie, but that seems to be a little "too far out" from the story to be acceptable to me. I don't care if Neil Gaiman did write it. I guess even he can be wrong sometimes.

Unless I hear great things, I'll stick with The 13th Warrior for my "Beowulf on screen" fix. It actually might stick closer to the original.

I kind of agree. Photorealism is overrated when it comes to CG animation, because once you achieve realism, then what? Why limit yourself to simply mimicking reality, when CG animation allows you to go beyond reality and create something truly unique?

I do want to see this movie though, it's always interesting to see where the state of the art is currently at.

Lord Malakite
11-19-2007, 04:17 AM
The story is vastly changed. Grendel and his mother were not human in the original.
That depends on how literal you mean by "human." I haven't read the book since my senior year of high school, but from what I remember Grendel and his mother, despite having some "monster" attributes, were indeed described as being somewhat "human" in appearance. Based on the pics I've seen of Grendel (with scale-like facial skin) and his mother (with what appears to be a tail), the movie appears to follow the book (at the very least in part) in that respect.

I've also seen pictures of the dragon that appears towards the end of the book. I don't recall the giant fish monster that I saw in some of the pictures as being in the book though.

I think I'll wait to say anything further about the book for the time being though (for those of you who want to read it for themselves or for those of you who want to go into the movie with an unbiased opinion not based on the book). That way I won't spoil it for you guys.

General_Grievous
11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I just watched the movie (in 3D) tonight. Overall, I was pleased with it. I had never read Beowulf in school, and so I went into the theater with no knowledge of what would happen. All I knew prior to this was that Beowulf was a warrior who fought a monster named Grendel. After seeing it, I must say that it was well done. The special effects looked good. The characters didn't look creepy like the CG characters in "The Polar Express". Angelina Jolie looked especially photorealistic (:eek:). I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie as much had I not seen it in 3D. Whenever Beowulf was battling sea monsters or a dragon, it looked astonishing in 3D. My favorite character of the movie was Grendel. He was just so amazingly creepy, to no surprise either, since Crispin Glover was responsible for the voice and mo-cap. Grendel was actually scary, which was something I hadn't felt for movie villains in a long time. Overall, this was one of the better movies I've seen this year. And if you can, catch a 3D showing. It's the best way to experience it.

scruffziller
12-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. I really enjoyed the experience.:thumbsup: With this being the first of probably many incarnations of certain movies, the future for this medium looks bright indeed. Especially if it continues to improve.