PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jedi...

JEDIpartner
08-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I didn't see a thread specifically for this after dong some searches, so I thought I'd start one. I was cleaing out old "inventory" in the toy room over the weekend and decided to take the cantina set Momaw Nadon and use it to make a nice little Ithorian Jedi (Roron Corobb) to go with the Talz Jedi, Foul Moudama. I'm hoping that Hasblah eventually does one but I took a bit of paint, some dullcote and a hairdryer (to sufficiently cook the right hand into position) to make this guy.

Yes, I put the hair dryer on high and place the part of the figure right near the exhaust. It takes about a minute to "cook" the part. As soon as you remove the heat, bend the part and run it under some cold water. This has worked on a number of figures. I managed to close Foul Moudama's right hand in this manner as well.

I had a spare "shimmery" Jedi cloak from one of my Evolutions Anakins. I replaced his with a felt one from another accessory pack. I also had a spare lightsaber from the Geonosis accessory pack. No, he doesn't have the Clone Wars character's pants, but I figured this was close enough.

Anyhow, this is how it turned out. Sorry about the quickie-pics...

Flash Pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/Customs/Ithorian-Jedi-2.jpg)

Natural light pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/Customs/Ithorian-Jedi-1.jpg)

kool-aid killer
08-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I like. I myself have kitbashed my own Roron Corobb but have yet to display photos of it. How is the articulation on your figure, can it still move in the same manner the figure did before you worked on it?

JEDIpartner
08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Basically, all I did was paint its tunic a beigey colour and added some lowlights to the tunic in a second and third paint application. The figure moves as it always has. I just heated up the hand so it became really pliable without melting. I threw the robe over the figure and called it a day. It was close enough as far as I'm concerned.

kool-aid killer
08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Ok, doesnt look bad to me. Are you working on any other Jedi customs at the moment or have any on the drawing board? I really like seeing non clone customs, they just seem so much more appealing to me than them.

Ive got seven guys im done with and ive got a digital camera, but now i cant find the usb cable!

JEDIpartner
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I basically started this thread for people to post their customs on here as well. So-- have at it! I have some touched up figures that aren't necessarily customs, but more just improvements. LOL

pbarnard
08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
I should post some of my older NJO customs...I got enough of them.

JEDIpartner
08-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Go for it... This is the Jedi dedicated thread!! :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
08-20-2006, 03:12 PM
What???!!!! No one else has made a custom Jedi Knight???

bobafrett
08-20-2006, 06:29 PM
:(
What???!!!! No one else has made a custom Jedi Knight???

No time, I'm overworked and underpaid.
:(

shammykenobi
08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Here's a take on Corrobb that I did a little while ago...I sold it on ebay about a month ago....it's the new Momaw nadons head, hands and scarf and lower legs...the rest is Coleman trebor...turned out better than I thought it would...and it was really easy to do.

kool-aid killer
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I like your Corrobb figure.

Being slow, i couldnt figure out how to attach an image of my first Jedi, so ive got him in my profile. Its a POTF2 Chewie, from back in 95. His vest comes from the Anakin figure released during the AOTC line with a break apart Geonosian. His lightsaber is AOTC Kit Fistos. The clones behind him arent really anything special, i gave one Aurra Sings sniper rifle and the other has the datapad thing from Shaak Ti of the ROTS line.

shammykenobi
08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
That corrobb figure was one of the quickest best looking customs i've ever done...it seems the best ones are the ones that don't take alot of time/planning/painting...here's a wookie jedi i did that turned out well....i guess it could by tyvokka or just some random wookie...but i really like this one as well...

shammykenobi
08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
and here's a Duro master and a kit fisto/nautolan...again, very quick and easy customs and they look really good too.

JEDIpartner
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Nice work!!! Now we're talkin'!!!! :)

shammykenobi
08-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks!!!! I've got a bunch more pics that i will try to get posted in the next few days...I guess everyone knows about the custom alliance...you can find some really good stuff there, but you have to search through page after page of random people's pics to find good ones...and I've had bad dealings with at least one person that submits their work to that website, so i'm a little turned off by it...I'm working on a twelve inch quinlan vos, that I hopefully will have completed by the weekend...here's a pic of a twelve inch obi wan that I did a few weeks ago...the tunic and cumberbund is hand made...let me know what you guys think.

mastermatt24
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice work man- Just a tiny suggestion on the 3 3/4 figs. They are just almost there. They look good- but I think a little wash would just push them over the edge into greatness. :D (I think a orangy/brown mixed with black would be great)

shammykenobi
08-24-2006, 05:15 AM
How do you do a wash? I try to avoid painting as much as possible, cause i'm not that great at it and I use water colors that can wash off pretty easily...I want to get them better looking, but I don't have a tremendous amount of time to dedicate to it right now...I'm in my last year of college and doing student teaching and what not, but if I can get better without giving it too much time or effort then i'm welcome to suggestions.

mastermatt24
08-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Well your in luck- this is usually really easy, just takes some creativity.

There are many different ways of going about this...

Welcome to The Wonderfull world of weathering!

1) Paper towel
a) Take a peice of paper towel, I like to tare off a piece and roll it up and then tare off the tip to make it uneven. Dip it in some paint and put it on the figure where you want it weathered. While its still semi wet, take the other end, or another chunk w/e, and then wipe it off. This will leave whatever color you put on just in the cracks/crevases just like normal weathering would do.
b) Take the same process, but dilute the paint with a desired ammount of water (less water, darker and thicker, more water, lighter and runny-er)and apply as desired. You can get some pretty interesting "brushes" with this torn paper towel trick to apply it with. Whats really great about this is that if you dont like how its turning out- just wipe it away!

2) Paint Brush
a) Alright- you basically have the same thing goin on here, but the paint can usually be a little more controled with the brush (i.e. streak/scorch marks)
PS- you'd be surprised how well a wash of the same color on a robe can look on a fig, then go over that witha tad of a black wash

3) Marker
Ok I dont even really like this kind, but if used really well it can work alright.

4) BBQ Lighter.
Nuff' said. Just dun go over board. ;)

5) Dry Brush
I forgot this one- Take a dry brush and dip it into a small ammount of paint; brush in desired effect. This can look really really good on darker figures to bring out the highlights. Also you can do layers of drybrushing to make it look really spiffy. (I know Chewie over at RS does this a lot- and it looks really good and it is NOT hard at all to do)

6) Exacto
Yea.. take the knife and go for it. Just dont go overboard with this one either. As Confusicious said "evwey ting in moderation" :p

as you can see theres lots of different ways.. (thats why it took me awhile to reply cuz i wanted to spill it out for ya) Just use these as a tool- make your own techniques and see what works best for you. Try different colors and combinations and see what works best for you. I would say all of these are not time consuming at all. For your dudes I would try the Brush and paper towel.

Hope that helped...
~Matt

shammykenobi
08-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow man thanks, I've done the dry brush before and i've tried to put paint on/wipe it off, but it never turned out just right. I'll give these a try and try to get some pics up in the next few days. Thanks again.

mastermatt24
08-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Yea man its no prob. Keep the questions comin and Ill be happy to answer. :D
I was just lookin at my shock trooper I did and I remembered another thing- (this works well on armored things like troops) If you do multiple coats of paint, you can take a fingernail or an exacto and make some dings in the edges of the paint and it looks pretty good.
Another random tip: Dry brushing silver on weapons looks great.

shammykenobi
08-27-2006, 08:09 AM
I was working on a mara jade last night and tried a few of your tricks to make the hair look darker in some areas and it worked. I gave her a cape with a light gold base with darker brown wash and it was looking good. I decided it needed to be darker and tried a darker wash and just messed it up completely...I had to scrub it down with soap and water and start over...as for using acrylics, isn't there stuff called dullcoat or drycoat that you can seal them with so that the acrylics won't scrape or wash off?? Acrylics work really well for me, they're cheap and the best part you can start over from scatch if you mess it up, but as for selling them to someone who wants to pose them or play with them, they're not that durable. Thanks for all your help.

here's a pic of a scorch that I did a few weeks ago. this is one of my favorite figs right now.

mastermatt24
08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
See? Im not always fulla cr@ p :p

Yea- You have to be careful doing washes on top of washes. It tends to disturb the ones under it if your ntot really careful. Always make sure the one below is dry.. (unless your going for that kind of effect where you want the "bleeding" of the color(s) )
Did you get Mara's cape to come out?

As for the dullcoat- I think I said this in another thread, but, when I have used it, it tends to make my figs shiny. I havent tried it, but I would say any chance of getting a wet wash to stick after you have sprayed it are pretty much blown. As for selling them- I would try sprayin the stuff in a concealed spot (like the back leg) to see if its going to work. Besides- I dont really think little kids are buying customs to play with them, so they arent really ment to be handled anyways. Even with the dullcoat theres still a chance that paint can come off (i.e. joints).

Nice scorch- did you have to modify anything to get the flames to fit into the backpack? I might suggest a slimer gun with a long barrel, but I dont know exactly the look your goin for.

all this talk about customizin makes me want to make somethin...

shammykenobi
08-27-2006, 05:05 PM
No I really didn't get the cape to work out very well...i was using the padme droid factory chase figure and that cape has alot of texture which is perfect for trapping paint for a good effect, but I just can't get it to suit me...so i'm gonna mothball that figure for a little while...

The scorch I had to modify the pack just a tad...basically i had to put the backpack on upside down and then use a dremel to drill little holes in it so the posts from the flame effect would have something to stick into...believe it or not it was almost impossible to get the neck right...the figure has the biggest ball joint i've ever seen and i had to dremel it completely off and bore out a whole down into the body cavity and then cut off a at-te gunners neck and stick down into the hole in the body cavity...then i had to use black sculpey to fill in around the neck to get it looking right...and the sculpey kept breaking when i would bake it, so it took almost 6 tries to get it right...I baked it so many times that the figure basically won't even stand on it's own anymore...guess that happens sometimes.

shammykenobi
08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
O.k. I decided not to moth ball mara jade...I finished her, but i'm not extremely happy with the job i did on it...here's some pics:

mastermatt24
08-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Holy cr**! Damn that turned out good.. I really like the cape- looks used and beaten up just like it should.

Ok this is a total shout out to the customizing community: YOU CAN BOIL SCULPY! Stop the senseless melting of poor figures!
Serioulsy- I learned this after ruining I dont know how many things.. sculpy is fine to boil. Make sure you sculpy before you paint or the paint will get screwed up if you boil it. You can (but be carefull) also pop parts that dont need to be boiled. Boiling doesnt really hurt the figure, (at least nothing has happened to me) it just makes it really maleable. And please please please use tongs or something to get the figure out. As for boiling time- its various for the thickness, but it doesnt take long at all. Couple of minutes at most.

shammykenobi
08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the compliments. After having looked at this mara figure for a bit I like it a good bit more than at first. Actually the only think I didn't like about it was the boots didn't turn out exactly right...I wanted them to be really weathered and show more color, but as they are now, they look really muddy which is kinda cool...anyhow, this is the second take on the hair...I had it looking really good before, but I sculpted the hair with the cape on the figure and it turned out to be a nightmare to paint it...and i also realized that i wanted mara to have a removalbe cape...basically all she really needs is a pair of googles to go around her neck when she's not wearing the cape and she will be finished...but i can't really find any that look right.

I've tried boiling sculpey, but for some reason it discolors when i do it...i boiled some black sculpey and turned a greyish ashy color on the surface...which doesn't happen when i bake it...but i use sculpey very sparingly, so hopefully I won't be boiling or baking much of it...thanks for all your info, I appreciate it...here's a pic of a removalbe helmet boba fett i did a few weeks ago...enjoy!!

mastermatt24
08-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Are you just doin switchable heads? Thats an interesting concept- so then you wouldnt have to hollow out the helmit..

Hmm. I dont know what to tell you about the goggles.
As for the sculpy- Ive always used the plain white. It accepts paint fine so I dont worry about matching colors to what im doing.

shammykenobi
08-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah, you're right, that's a switchable head instead of removalbe helemt, not sure why i put that...basically I use magnets to hold the heads on...I dremel a small hole into the body cavity where the neck was and stick a magnet in there and put a small smear of sculpey over it, bake it and then paint it...then I put a magnet on the bottom of the helmet or head and voila....swtichable heads!!!! the reason I do this, is because i read on another custom website, that there's not a boba fett helmet that will fit a clone head when hollowed out...the only one that works is if you use the VOTC boba fett helmet with a commander cody head...I guess someone tried and it didn't work out...so i thought the switchable heads was easier..., i've done three versions of boba fett like this and put one on ebay and no one was interested in it...I mean like i only had three people watching and no bids...but i'll do a wookie jedi and get 20 watchers with 15 bids...it's kinda weird like that...unpredictable...

I've also leanred recently that you can mix three of four different colors of sculpey to get some really good shades...as a matter of fact, mara's hair is a mix of bright red sculpey with painted darker shades to tone it down and then the rest of it is sculpey that i mixed to match it...you seriously can't tell the difference.

also for mara's googles i was gonna use the ones that came with teemto pagalies, but they're just a little too alien...and i was gonna use the pair that came with mechanic chewbacca, but i can't find those.

mastermatt24
08-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Would it be to hard to make your own?

shammykenobi
08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Hmmm...it might not be...I could probably hack on the ones from teemto and come up with something halfway decent...I really wish I could find the ones from chewie mechanic...and some kind of scarf thingie would be good too...if i could do a scarf/google combo and make it removable that would be kinda cool...but i think the googles are peripheral...I don't think most people would care that much if they were gonna buy it...actually i just realized i might be able to cut the ones of the floppy hat luke...that might work out...I'll let you know what i come up with.

mastermatt24
08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Yea the floopy hat luke could work- and if your going to make a scarf goggle combo that would really good becuase you wouldnt have to cut so close to the goggles.