PDA

View Full Version : Where does Vader get his name?

stardog24
01-27-2002, 07:56 PM
This may be a stupid question for some, but where did Vader get his name? He was Anakin Skywalker, then turned to Vader. Why not Darth Skywalker?

master jedi
01-27-2002, 08:38 PM
My theory is that each Sith gets issued the name Darth plus a name that best suits(sp?) them. For example, Darth Vader means Dark Father or Darth Sidious means (I think) Dark Side.

2-1B
01-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Darth Sidious seems to derive from the word insidious, meaning Palpatine is lurking in the shadows.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2002, 05:21 PM
That name no longer has any meaning for me.
Vader said it himself. Perhaps a Sith must break all ties to his/her/its former self and fully accept the ways of the Dark Side. Besides, if he was Darth Skywalker, everybody would know who he really was, and perhaps be less threatened by him.

Vader: "Prepare to meet your doom, Rebel!"
Rebel: "Yippee!"
Vader: "What?!?"
Rebel: "Mighty blasters, 'Annie.' Gonna cry without your mommy, Darth Annie?"
Vader: "Grr!" :mad:

While no so flippant, having a weakness (i.e. family, friends, those who know somethings about you) could be used against anyone, especially one who gets a galactic-wide reputation.

chewie
01-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Before E1 came out I had assumed "Darth Vader" was simply a cool title Lucas had made.

After E1 and the revelation of two more sith lord names came about, I just feel like they're created as sort-of cartoonishy menacing role identification. Maul=big brute, Sidious=insider/insidiously evil dude.

I'd still prefer to call Sidious Emperor Palpatine, simply because its a much cooler name.

Wolfwood319
01-29-2002, 02:43 AM
Lucas got the name "Darth Vader" from the Norse languages.

"Darth" is close to their word for "Dark."

"Vader" is similar to their word for "Father."

I'm not making this up, read one of the biographies on Lucas. It wasn't until he started on the prequels that he came up with the idea for all sith lords to be "Darth (fill in the blank)."

2-1B
01-29-2002, 04:14 AM
Wolfwood, I have heard that too.

In ANH, the meaning is not so relevant, because it might have been the only SW film to see fruition. In ESB, it really carries a subliminal meaning.

Was it always Lucas' definitive version to go with the paternal storyline in ESB? I am wondering if Ob-Wan's ANH quip, "Only a master of evil, Darth" was always meant to be sarcastic, or if it is just a reinterpretation by the audience after ESB ? ? ?

sith_killer_99
02-01-2002, 09:45 AM
The idea of Vader being Luke's father did not come about until the script for ESB was being finalized. If Vader is close to the Norse word for Father it is a coincidence.

GL hadn't decided to go with Vader as Luke's Dad 'til years after ANH.

As for the "Darth" title? Well, most EU stuff that has been written over the years refers to the old Sith Lords as Darth this or Darth that. Most of which was written long before the prequels.

Seriously, check it out.;)

Wolfwood319
02-01-2002, 11:49 AM
The idea of Vader being Luke's father did not come about until the script for ESB was being finalized. If Vader is close to the Norse word for Father it is a coincidence.

So when Lucas says that the concept behind Star Wars is the rise and fall of a man and the redemption by his son, he's just making this up?

Oh yeah, decades upon decades.

When he was toying with the idea of Star Wars with characters like Anakin Starkiller and so forth, the premise was not there. Once he got the basic premise down, 1975-76-ish, he had the plot for the first movie, as well as the general backstory, which is somewhat foretold in Star Wars (ANH). (i.e. Vader Luke's father)

I don't read EU, and I don't think Lucas reads too much of it either. The first real EU stuff was Zahn's first trilogy, which came out about 2 years (hardly a LONG time) before Lucas started working on the prequels. That first book trilogy has no mention of Darth Joe Sith Lord in it anywhere.

And I doubt Lucas would base a large premise of the prequels on somebody else's ideas. No matter what EU it came from, the Big GL can do whatever he want and change whatever he wants. So the whole "Darth..." was Lucas' call.

El Chuxter
02-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Zahn was going to call the Noghri "Sith," since Vader is referred to as the Dark Lord of the Sith a lot and there was no mention of what a "Sith" was.

And I don't recall any Darths in the EU prior to the mention of Darth Bane in the TPM novelization.

JetsAndHeels
02-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

I am just wondering here; exactly how many years did GL wait until he decided on the idea?
ANH was released in 1977, and ESB was released in 1980, so it couldnt have been too many "years."

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 02:12 PM
The original screenplay for ESB said nothing about Vader being Luke's father. However, GL claims that it was his idea all along but he didn't give this detail to Leigh Brackett as she was having enough trouble with her health and writing the script, so he didn't want to stress her out too much.

I think Vader's name comes from the word 'invader.' Just like Sidious comes from 'insidious.'

Lord Malakite
02-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Vader is dutch for father.

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Vader is also similar to 'vater' the German word for father. Plus in German 't's are pronounced like 'd's.

Unfortunately, like a majority of Star Wars questions, this one has no cut and dry answer. Mainly since GL keeps rewriting the history books to suit his current project.

sith_killer_99
02-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Wolfwood319, MY BAD!:rolleyes: (did not intend to have "YEARS" interpreted as "DECADES" but roughly 2 year(s) or so...between scripts:confused: )

JangoFett96, MY BAD:rolleyes: (again see directly above)

But thank you for pointing out the short comings of my MISINTERPRETATION!

bigbarada, thanks for puting in some useful info. You are correct. I had forgotten her name, but I do recall hearing that the script writer did not know about Vader's identity, til late in the game.

Sorry about the confusion, and again Thank You BB for USEFUL input.;)

My first recollection of the "title" Darth being used was in the Jedi Academy novels, 1994. Around 8 years ago. Am I wrong there? I don't know, I can't find my books right now but I went on-line and found the release date as March 1994, or 5 years before TPM.

stillakid
02-01-2002, 06:19 PM
Lucas is still making this stuff up, precedent or not. So for anyone out there proclaiming that it's his story to **** around with, I pose the question: how would you feel if Lucas decided in EP II and III to not have Anakin be Luke's father? By your reckoning, it would be okay, because, well, it's his story afterall.

Anyhow, since we know Lucas had to go into Ep IV as if it were a stand-alone movie, and we know that the actual scripts for each movie are not written until just before that episode is to be filmed, it's probably safe to say that Lucas maybe had the inkling that there might be multiple "darth's", but there was no practical motivation to delve deeper into the idea until post ESB, when he knew for sure that the saga had a very real following.

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 08:01 PM
BTW, sith_killer_99, I just read your signature line. Congratulations!!!!:cool:

stillakid, that's a good point. I think if Lucas goes too far with his changes he will lose all of his fans. He's already been losing me little by little since the Special Editions.

Rollo Tomassi
02-02-2002, 09:57 AM
how would you feel if Lucas decided in EP II and III to not have Anakin be Luke's father? By your reckoning, it would be okay, because, well, it's his story afterall.

But that would be contradictory to the earlier (later?) story. There is nothing in ANH to contradict Vader's revelation to Luke. Neither is there anything to suggest that Darth wasn't a title. I always thought Darth was a title, like "Lord". I mean, I didn't go around thinking Tarkin's first name was "Grand Moff". Even though I'd never heard of a Moff before I assumed it was a title rather than a name.

By the way, I've read (not recent) interviews where G. Lu said Vader was going to be the father all along, but since he wasn't sure if there were going to be sequels (he thought he was looking at a gargantual flop) he didn't want to introduce a subplot that couldn't be resolved by the end of the first film. Then by the time he started on the second film, he wasn't sure if he wanted Vader to be the father, and see-sawed back and forth on the issue with Kasdan, Kurtz, kershner, etc before decinding relatively close to the beginning of shooting to keep the original storyline.

stillakid
02-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

But that would be contradictory to the earlier (later?) story. There is nothing in ANH to contradict Vader's revelation to Luke. Neither is there anything to suggest that Darth wasn't a title. I always thought Darth was a title, like "Lord". I mean, I didn't go around thinking Tarkin's first name was "Grand Moff". Even though I'd never heard of a Moff before I assumed it was a title rather than a name.

By the way, I've read (not recent) interviews where G. Lu said Vader was going to be the father all along, but since he wasn't sure if there were going to be sequels (he thought he was looking at a gargantual flop) he didn't want to introduce a subplot that couldn't be resolved by the end of the first film. Then by the time he started on the second film, he wasn't sure if he wanted Vader to be the father, and see-sawed back and forth on the issue with Kasdan, Kurtz, kershner, etc before decinding relatively close to the beginning of shooting to keep the original storyline.

I agree entirely with what you've said. :) I was reacting more in general to the prevailing attitude of whatever GL says, goes. While he was busy introducing the subplots in ESB and ROTJ, where were the Midichlorians? What about dropping Qui Gonn's name in there somewhere? Clearly Vader being the father is important enough to mention. The title of "darth" perhaps is not in terms of plot setup. But those other elements go to the foundation of the story.

mabudonicus
02-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Every time I watch the OT it seems more and more obvious that the darth vader/dark father thing was likely at least a possibility in gl's mind all along(I love to discredit him, but I gotta give him that at least) The BIG question is where did the name"ree yees" come from? Is just a funny coincidence, or is it explained in the EU somewheres?(I don't know, I put down "heir to the empire" right at the part when you're supposed to believe that a city built on the backs of ATATs is somehow not the STUPIDEST thing you've ever read) Ahhhh, yes, the NAMES!!!!! Do you think he intended the irony when he came up with "porkins", or was that just another nutty coincidence? (PS this is what lame sarcasm looks like)

2-1B
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Palpatine gave it to him.

JimJamBonds
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Palpatine gave it to him.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion on that one there big shooter. lol

darthvyn
08-26-2005, 11:15 PM
The BIG question is where did the name"ree yees" come from? Is just a funny coincidence, or is it explained in the EU somewheres?

ree yees has three eyes. :thumbsup:

2-1B
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
but what's a "yee" ? lol

Thanks for clearing up the confusion on that one there big shooter.

no problem, glad I could help. :)

Ji'dai
08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
'Yee' is an anagram of 'eye'

Are you guys bored, dredging up all these old fossilized threads?

Kidhuman
08-27-2005, 12:13 AM
What we do in our spare time is our business Ji'dai. If we wanna dig up graves threads, we will. :p :beard:

kicks skull behind self with foot.

JimJamBonds
08-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Are you guys bored, dredging up all these old fossilized threads?

Me thinks Caesar gets some sort of peverted pleasure in all of this.:whip:

Slicker
08-27-2005, 03:48 AM
Besides, it's fun going back and correcting all of these people after the fact. It makes me feel like a big man.:bandit:

Ji'dai
08-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Ah well, carry on then :cross-eye

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Actually, since Palpatine and Anakin were so close and they'd go clubbing at the Outlander Club, the Chancellor would often commend the Jedi on his excellent dancing...

Palpatine: "You raved quite well tonight, my young friend."
Anakin: "Thanks! I was all, 'yippee!' and then I went 'mighty blasters!' and you were tapping your fingertips and going 'excellent!' That was so wizard!"
Palpatine: "Yes..."

Therefore, the Emperor rechristened him Darth Raved, no, Darth Vader. :p

Rocketboy
08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Palpatine gave it to him.No, George gave it to him.

And has anyone seen a skull around here?
I set it down over there a second ago...

2-1B
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Exactly, George Palpatine gave it to him.

The EU says his full name was Cos Palpatine but I don't accept that as Canon because the author clearly was paying homage to "The Cos" Bill Cosby.

Like Rocky said, George Palpatine gave it to him. :)

Rocketboy
08-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Everyone knows it's really Clancy Palpatine.

Kidhuman
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Actually, He got it from a cracker Jack box while at a ball game with Palps.

Rocketboy
08-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Are you sure? I once heard a rumor that it was a jumble that he couldn't figure out.

darthvyn
09-05-2005, 01:28 PM
lucas made it up playing scrabble. it would've been a triple word score if he had gotten away with it. i heard this arguement was what caused his marriage to break up...

2-1B
09-05-2005, 02:24 PM
lucas made it up playing scrabble. it would've been a triple word score if he had gotten away with it.

and he would have, if not for those meddling kids.

darthvyn
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
well, you know it's always REALLY the kids' fault that parents get divorced... :twisted: