PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't someone make 80s movie figures?

El Chuxter
08-08-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm dead serious here.

McFarlane and SOTA and similar companies have made some killer figures in the Movie Maniacs and Now Playing lines, mostly focused on horror and sci-fi. But what about the (mostly) cheesy 80s movies we all watched over and over as kids and still adore to this day?

I'm thinking characters like:

Harry from Harry & the Hendersons
Johnny-5 from Short Circuit (perhaps with a Short Circuit 2 version as a variant)
Sloth, Chunk, and Data from The Goonies
The Gremlins (if the license is available again)
decent ET figures
Bill, Ted, Billy, Socrates, Rufus, and Napoleon from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
the Martians from Spaced Invaders
Teen Wolf
Adventures in Babysitting (sounds dumb, maybe, but wouldn't a Marvel Masterwork style figure set of the movie poster kick arse?)
Daniel-San and Miyagi from The Karate Kid

And, possibly more than any other beloved 80s film:
Westley, Buttercup, Enigo, Fezzik, and Humperdinck from The Princess Bride

Like I said, I'm dead serious.

You know as well as I do that such a line would sell like hotcakes.

Because you'd be second in line behind me buying them all. (Okay, I'm passing on the Short Circuit 2 variant of Johnny-5. That sequel kinda blew chunks.)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2006, 06:41 AM
we are looooooong overdue for some good "princess Bride" figures. That would be a great license and it would probably sell really really well.

El Chuxter
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Let's add some to the list that slipped my mind last night:

Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
Beetlejuice
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Cat's Eye (I'm thinking a "troll vs cat" two-pack)

And jumping from movies for a bit, Alf.

pbarnard
08-08-2006, 08:48 AM
But weren't there Peewee Playhouse figs when the show was out? It's not like there never were anything, just nothing lately.

Ji'dai
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
The actors may not approve licensing their images or the fees might be too prohibitive. NECA had plans to do the Ghostbusters in Series 2 but the actors either refused outright or there were conflicts about money.

I always thought the studios/investors retained the licensing/merchandising rights and the actors were basically cattle that could be exploited. But then Lucy Liu blocked release of her action figure from Kill Bill. So maybe the actors have some say about the licensing of their images.

JimJamBonds
08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
What about Space Balls? There could be all kinds of great figs. with that movie. Not to mention accessories such as a giant comb. Think about it! :D

Kidhuman
08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
IT is a good idea and hopefully I would buy some of these figures. I would get some Back to the Future figs also.

2-1B
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Karate Kids 1-3 would be awesome, including Cobra Kai variants in their skeleton costumes.

figrin bran
08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
you mean you don't want Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink figures? :p and due to his vast amount of work during that era, corey feldman deserves at least one figure.

i have a diecast back to the future delorean somewhere. i'd love to see a marty, doc brown, einstein, biff, george mcfly, lorraine

DarthQuack
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd buy some Revenge of the Nerds and Porkys figures.

2-1B
08-08-2006, 11:46 AM
They should do Corey Feldman as bald Tommy Jarvis the Jason killer from F13th-4 in the Movie Maniacs line. :grin:

plasticfetish
08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking characters like:

Harry & the Hendersons - Good idea, and weird that no one ever did this.
Short Circuit - maybe...
The Goonies - I hate this movie.
The Gremlins - NECA has done this. They're nice really.
(decent) ET figures - Yeah. What can I say? ...yeah.
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Kenner did figures for this (1991) and they were as bad as the movie.
the Martians from Spaced Invaders - That film came out in 1990.. it doesn't count. ;)
Teen Wolf - Are you okay El Chuxter? Are you feeling well? You really want toys from this turd-burger of a show? (Seriously though, I'm surprised that this was never done.)
Adventures in Babysitting - ????
The Karate Kid - Okay, I could see this, but Remco made toys for this film back in '86. (http://www.virtualtoychest.com/karatekid/karatekid.html)
The Princess Bride - Yeah, we've talked about this before, and this movie really needs some good figures.
Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal - Yes! I'd thought (hoped) that we would be getting this, but so far it just looks like little statues. (Almost got something from Palisades (http://images.entertainmentearth.com//AUTOIMAGES/PM13233lg.jpg) though.)
Beetlejuice - Been done to death by Kenner.
Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Yeah, the Pee-Wee's Playhouse line was great, but some figures from the films would be very nice.
Cat's Eye - ????

Space BallsThose would be fun!

Back to the FutureSoooo weird that this was never done.

I'd buy some Revenge of the Nerds and Porkys figures.Okay at first I thought that this was a really stupid idea, but suddenly I'm seeing how this whole idea could work.

If someone decided to do a "Pop Classics" film line, I really think they would sell. As much as I wouldn't buy many of them, I think you have a good idea here El Chuxter.

figrin bran
08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
how about Willow figures? (i can't recall if there were any made) after all, it's EU, right? (if you recall, starwars.com had some links about Willow in their EU section) ;)

2-1B
08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Teenwolf is awesome.

Kidhuman
08-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Those Karate Kid figs look so odd. Big head on the Cobra Ki Sinsei.

2-1B
08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I totally forgot about those Karate Kid figures, awesome! :)

I get a kick out of the variants, even back then. lol

figrin bran
08-09-2006, 12:39 AM
come on, you know you all want Ferris Bueller figures!

JimJamBonds
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Teenwolf is awesome.

And what of Teenwolf II?

2-1B
08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
And what of Teenwolf II?

A wretched POS, I watched it a few months back. Never again. :dead:

plasticfetish
08-11-2006, 07:33 PM
come on, you know you all want Ferris Bueller figures!...or War Games. :)

K M Toydarian
08-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Sideshow had the 12" Dark Crystal figs a while back, but I would love them to come out with other 12" scale Dark Crystal figs.
I think they would do an awesome line of 12" Princess Bride too. Their Monty Python stuff was great and the Lord of the Rings even better, so I think Princess Bride would be awesome 12 inchers!

DarkArtist
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Put me down for Back to the Future. C'mon these movies scream toyline. Doc Brown and Marty McFly along with the Delorean and perhaps Doc's Train from III.

If they did do this line I would love it if the scale was the same as the Star Wars line, I mean c'mon how cool would it be to have two Tie Fighters chasing after the Time Machine ?????

General_Grievous
09-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Just saw this thread. Surprised nobody mentioned this: Phoebe Cates in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". :eek:

A Judd Nelson from "The Breakfast Club" would be nice too.

And how about some "Red Dawn" figures? WOLVERIIIIIIIIIIIIINES!!!!!!!!!

DarkArtist
09-04-2006, 05:18 PM
How about figures from Tango and Cash ???? C'mon Teri Hatcher as a Stripper with pole and drums accessory. They could even make a exclusive two pack of Teri Hatcher as the motorcycle rider and Kurt Russell in his exotic dancer getup, also include the motorcycle.

Stallone in his suit with the saturday night special. Also how cool would the big*** RV be with lauching cannon feature and two exclusive versions of Tango and Cash. Throw in some of the bad guys for good measure and whola an action figure line the flies off the pegs.

Another line that needs some serious figures and ships and playsets (and yes I know it's not a movie from the eighties) Armaggedon. I mean the Matchbox line was a bust but give us a Shuttle and Asteriod playset as well as an Armadillo and all the guys andd great things will come.

Also these two lines shoould be down in the same scale as the Star Wars line. This way TIE fighters can shoot down the Freedom and Indepence and Jabba's palace has one more pole dancer to entertain the big slug.

Rogue II
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
The Blues Brothers - if they make all of the musicians like Ray Charles, James Brown, Cab Calloway, etc.
Stripes
Caddyshack
The Three Amigos

It isn't a movie, but how about McGuyver?

Darth Jax
09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
there were 2 different size figures of the blues brothers released last year. but jake and elliot were the only ones available, not a complete line of figures from the movie. the musicians were good, but i'd rather have carrie fisher with machine gun or bazooka.

El Chuxter
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I would totally kill for a John Lee Hooker/Cab Calloway 2-pack. Seriously. I would kill CaptainSolo1138. With my bare hands.

Kidhuman
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Order coming up chux.

Blackthorpe
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
How about Young Guns?

Goonies would be awesome; Princess Bride would be better. Labyrinth would be very cool, too.

I'd dig decent Willow figs, too. They had some in the '80s, but they were small with zero articulation. I'd like to see these and the Princess Bride and Labyrinth figs in a 6" scale, to fit with LOTR figs.

Blackthorpe
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey, what about Spaceballs?? There could be an Eagle 5 playset/vehicle, and a Spaceball 1 bridge playset with flashing "ludicrous speed" display. Of course, they would have to be 3.75 inches, so Lonestar and Han Solo could hang out in the space truckstop together.